PDA

View Full Version : Greeeeeeetings....:-0

Curried
17-02-2018, 12:33 PM
I've listened to “Off the Ball” for several years, and have heard some funny moments, but on reflection, I can’t believe I’ve given them so much of my time.

Sure the content is as advertised, “Petty and I’ll-informed”, but I’m still struggling to see why they continue to push the same old west-coast, twin-team, propaganda.

Some fans one here will no doubt argue that their professed allegiances to the Saints/Well place them outside reproach , but at the end of the day they are what they are…. just a couple of establishment puppets sprooking what the establishment thinks is best for our game.

A majority of football fans in Scotland follow neither the blue or green teams in Glasgow, so why does any listener to BBC have to tolerate sound-bites referring to both ad infinitum.

Fortunately, I no longer have to pay to listen to the BBC, but if I did, I’d be pulling my licence fee.

heretoday
17-02-2018, 12:59 PM
What's the theme music for the show? There's a lot of shouting in it. It's the best part of the thing really.

Curried
17-02-2018, 01:25 PM
What's the theme music for the show? There's a lot of shouting in it. It's the best part of the thing really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDrfHj3j398

MrSmith
17-02-2018, 01:45 PM
The BBC is a complete waste of money. It is so labour/Glasgow orientated that it no longer hides the fact.

heretoday
17-02-2018, 01:48 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDrfHj3j398

Nah not that. It's a sort of funky grungy thing. Must be in my head!

Aritch
17-02-2018, 01:51 PM
Nah not that. It's a sort of funky grungy thing. Must be in my head!

https://youtu.be/_o5Bujo5kWk

john18722
17-02-2018, 02:54 PM
I like it! Each to their own!

Keith_M
17-02-2018, 03:02 PM
The media know who their largest audience is and cater to them.

My biggest complaint is that it stopped being funny a long time ago.

Pretty Boy
17-02-2018, 05:03 PM

Same.

People should remember the BBCs output extends far beyond BBC 1 & 2 and Radio Scotland as well. I'd pay the license fee for 6music alone.

Billy Whizz
17-02-2018, 05:18 PM

Best programme on the radio in my opinion

Hibbyradge
17-02-2018, 05:19 PM
Unfortunately, the opposite is true.

Makalambay
17-02-2018, 05:22 PM
Couldn’t disagree more with the OP. Enjoyable listen for the most part. Compare with the dark days of the Jim Traynor phone in...😱

SuperAllyMcleod
17-02-2018, 06:42 PM
Couldn’t disagree more with the OP. Enjoyable listen for the most part. Compare with the dark days of the Jim Traynor phone in...[emoji33]

I agree - the Traynor phone in was terrible. I never miss Off the Ball - not always funny but often interesting when it’s not.

DickieDastardly
17-02-2018, 06:48 PM
I’m with most of the replies, think it’s a good listen and they’ve done well to keep it fresh over the years. Given some if the dire Scottish programs from the past I think sportsound, open all mics and off the ball are good listening.

greenlex
17-02-2018, 06:51 PM
Listened to the vast majority tonight and don’t recall the old firm getting a mention.

Mr White
17-02-2018, 07:16 PM
I listened to sportsound today for the first time in literally years and I really enjoyed it. Michael Stewart was honest and fair and Willie Miller sounded like his family were being held hostage at gun-point.

I turned it off before the fat well fan and the pompous saintee came back on but overall it was a joyous listening experience today thanks to squirrel and Flo :greengrin

CMurdoch
17-02-2018, 07:23 PM
Same.

People should remember the BBCs output extends far beyond BBC 1 & 2 and Radio Scotland as well. I'd pay the license fee for 6music alone.

:aok:The Hughie show on Saturday morning and
The Cerys Matthews show on Sunday morning
are a great listen every week

Mr White
17-02-2018, 07:27 PM

Craig Charles Funk & Soul show ain't too bad either and it's on right now!

Lauren Laverne with her 10- 1 midweek show is the best by far on 6music for me.

LaMotta
17-02-2018, 07:31 PM
Off the ball is a brilliant show.

Lots of praise for Hibs from Tam Cowan today, saying he hopes we can continue to grow under Lennon and put in an even bigger challenge in the future.

Certainly not glasgow bias in anyway!

Scott Allan Key
17-02-2018, 07:36 PM

Really enjoyed their New York coverage recently. And Hughie was in his element, painting a colourful musical history of eras, areas and styles. Thoroughly worth the licence fee.

Mr White
17-02-2018, 07:41 PM
Really enjoyed their New York coverage recently. And Hughie was in his element, painting a colourful musical history of eras, areas and styles. Thoroughly worth the licence fee.

:agree: 6music is excellent.

Kavinho
17-02-2018, 07:47 PM
Giles Petersen still have a slot?

Mr White
17-02-2018, 07:49 PM
Giles Petersen still have a slot?

Saturday 4 - 6 I think.

Pretty Boy
17-02-2018, 10:36 PM

Lots of praise for Hibs from Tam Cowan today, saying he hopes we can continue to grow under Lennon and put in an even bigger challenge in the future.

I think part of the problem in Scottish football is even folk who claim to hate Rangers and Celtic have an in built need to see reference to them and in them all the time so end up seeing a Glasgow bias when there isn’t one.

We moan about them dominating the coverage of the game but plenty people obsess about them. We refer to Hearts fans as ‘mini huns’, they call us Celtics ‘wee brothers’, I remember Hibs fans singing about Killie fans being huns at Rugby Park a few years ago and Off The Ball suffers from people having the same mentality. Rather than accepting that it’s presented by 2 guys who are passionate about ‘smaller’ clubs that radar that searches for any ‘Glasgow bias’ or ‘Old Firm bias’ pops out and goes into overdrive. It’s almost a self fulfilling prophecy. OTB is a bit daft, sometimes funny and sometimes not and provides a much needed look at Scottish football that is humorously self deprecating as opposed to needlessly self disparaging.

Glory Lurker
17-02-2018, 10:41 PM
I don’t know about Cowan’s outlook on life generally, but Cosgrove is most certainly not an establishment lacky.

Greenfly
17-02-2018, 10:50 PM
I've listened to “Off the Ball” for several years, and have heard some funny moments, but on reflection, I can’t believe I’ve given them so much of my time.

Sure the content is as advertised, “Petty and I’ll-informed”, but I’m still struggling to see why they continue to push the same old west-coast, twin-team, propaganda.

Some fans one here will no doubt argue that their professed allegiances to the Saints/Well place them outside reproach , but at the end of the day they are what they are…. just a couple of establishment puppets sprooking what the establishment thinks is best for our game.

A majority of football fans in Scotland follow neither the blue or green teams in Glasgow, so why does any listener to BBC have to tolerate sound-bites referring to both ad infinitum.

Fortunately, I no longer have to pay to listen to the BBC, but if I did, I’d be pulling my licence fee.

I guess much of it as a matter of taste and we won't all agree but personally I like it a lot - some things I groan at but there's always more to enjoy than not. But how anyone can call Stuart Cosgrove's an "establishment puppet" is utterly beyond me. I don't always agree with him but in no sense is he either establishment or anyone's puppet.

matty_f
17-02-2018, 10:54 PM

:agree: I think it's essential listening.

Diclonius
17-02-2018, 11:01 PM
I like Off the Ball.

The Jim Traynor show was literally the Old Firm Phone In. If you were lucky you got one token call about a team outside Glasgow.

Curried
13-03-2018, 02:29 PM
I guess much of it as a matter of taste and we won't all agree but personally I like it a lot - some things I groan at but there's always more to enjoy than not. But how anyone can call Stuart Cosgrove's an "establishment puppet" is utterly beyond me. I don't always agree with him but in no sense is he either establishment or anyone's puppet.

When you take the queen's shilling that's exactly what you are...... a 'Puppet'.

Ask Stu or his mates why they can't ask a question about this:

http://www.ultras-tifo.net/images/stories/2018/3/Rangers-Celtic/Rangers-Celtic-4.jpg

superfurryhibby
13-03-2018, 03:05 PM
The Queens shilling? Does that apply to anyone who earns their money via a state funded service or works in local or central government, maybe the NHS?

As for the photo, we are looking at a bunch of huns acting all ultra, so what would they discuss about that? How much discussion do we need to have about sectarianism and society. Every day, every weekend, once a month?

I like Cosgrove and Cowan well enough. Can't think of another sports broadcast that beats it for me.

Curried
13-03-2018, 04:43 PM
The Queens shilling? Does that apply to anyone who earns their money via a state funded service or works in local or central government, maybe the NHS?

As for the photo, we are looking at a bunch of huns acting all ultra, so what would they discuss about that? How much discussion do we need to have about sectarianism and society. Every day, every weekend, once a month?

I like Cosgrove and Cowan well enough. Can't think of another sports broadcast that beats it for me.

In answer to your questions:

1. The Queens shilling?
If you’re taking it you, know you’re taking it.

2. a bunch of huns acting all ultra.
Perhaps BBC could do their job, and use the money the're provided and report what happened less than 500 m from their doorstep (ANYTIME THIS YEAR).

3. I like Cosgrove and Cowan well enough.
I’m sorry, but I have to disagree, they're both Tossers!

CropleyWasGod
13-03-2018, 04:47 PM
In answer to your questions:

1. The Queens shilling?
If you’re taking it you, know you’re taking it.

2. a bunch of huns acting all ultra.
Perhaps BBC could do their job, and use the money the're provided and report what happened less than 500 m from their doorstep (ANYTIME THIS YEAR).

3. I like Cosgrove and Cowan well enough.
I’m sorry, but I have to disagree, they're both Tossers!

What happened?

villager
13-03-2018, 04:50 PM
I tune in to off the ball whenever I can. Good show, would miss it
If it disappeared.

Curried
13-03-2018, 05:03 PM
What happened?

http://www.ultras-tifo.net/images/stories/2018/3/Rangers-Celtic/Rangers-Celtic-4.jpg

Monts
13-03-2018, 05:04 PM

That's just the picture you already posted

Curried
13-03-2018, 05:24 PM
That's just the picture you already posted

One from Lee..Wal

https://wingsoverscotland.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/ub5.jpg

silverhibee
13-03-2018, 05:29 PM
What happened?

Looks like a bunch of folk have put there money on a Celtc win and have just collected from the bookies.

greenlex
13-03-2018, 05:31 PM
One from Lee..Wal

https://wingsoverscotland.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/ub5.jpg

Outrageous. I don’t think it’s really necessary for off the ball to be commenting on it.

snooky
13-03-2018, 05:35 PM
I agree - the Traynor phone in was terrible. I never miss Off the Ball - not always funny but often interesting when it’s not.

As soon as he was losing an argument he'd cut to someone else.
As a radio host, the man was a roaster of the first order - and FWIW, he still is.

Sammy7nil
13-03-2018, 06:33 PM

What a bunch o Fannie's :greengrin

SouthMoroccoStu
13-03-2018, 06:49 PM

Considering they love the queen and union flag, there are a lot of Nazi salutes in that picture

Viva_Palmeiras
13-03-2018, 06:55 PM
Considering they love the queen and union flag, there are a lot of Nazi salutes in that picture

Saxe Coburgs
Germany
Nazis

Some dots joined there...

Greenfly
13-03-2018, 10:20 PM

There have been plenty times when both the hosts have had a go at bigotry. If you know anything about Cosgrove's personal and political standpoint you'll know well that he wouldn't be scared to call out a group of barely pubescent Rangers neds pretending to be the new National Action or some other neo nazi scrote club (quite a photo, that). He also does the media review on Thursday's Radio Scotland at lunchtime and IMO is never guilty of fence sitting, regardless of who you think his paymaster is.

CMurdoch
13-03-2018, 11:17 PM
What a bunch o Fannie's :greengrin

Is exactly what I thought :agree:

CMurdoch
13-03-2018, 11:20 PM

Yeah, it was really great and something that pants commercial radio wouldn't produce

CMurdoch
13-03-2018, 11:28 PM
Craig Charles Funk & Soul show ain't too bad either and it's on right now!

Lauren Laverne with her 10- 1 midweek show is the best by far on 6music for me.

I listen to both of them.
6 music is the only listenable music radio channel for folk who like music.
Not keen on the guy before Lauren so tend to switch on at 10 each day.

green day
14-03-2018, 06:32 AM
I listen to both of them.
6 music is the only listenable music radio channel for folk who like music.
Not keen on the guy before Lauren so tend to switch on at 10 each day.

I always thought Keaveney was crap too - persisted one day and actually find him quite amusing now.

Agreed on LL though, best show on the radio. Her interview with Edinburghs Young Fathers yesterday was very funny.