PDA

View Full Version : Is tomorrow a must win?

we are hibs
16-02-2018, 02:43 PM
I'd certainly say so if we have any hope of finishing in one of the two guaranteed European places, of course if one of Celtic, Aberdeen or rangers win the cup then fourth place would also get us there too.

great chance to put down a marker against Aberdeen ahead of the run in, they aren't great under pressure and tend to bottle it when the pressure is on so if we could close the gap then who knows. A Win would close the gap on the Huns and keep us at arms length of hearts. Our home form isn't great either so starting off the year with 2 home wins in a row would be a great boost Infront of a sell out, expectant crowd. Looking forward to this. Any win will do hibs

:flag:

B.H.F.C
16-02-2018, 02:55 PM
If we want to finish higher than 4th, yes it is.

Captain Trips
16-02-2018, 02:56 PM
I would say we need to win this not only for the points but the psychology. We should be looking to be challenging Aberdeen over the next few seasons I would like to think we can give them a game tomorrow and we beat them.

lord bunberry
16-02-2018, 03:06 PM
If we want to finish second we can’t lose. A draw isn’t the end of the world. When you look at the run of fixtures we’ve had a draw would leave us with a total not many predicted.

Michael
16-02-2018, 03:29 PM
It's a must win because to not beat them in two attempts at Easter Road would be pretty annoying.

Diclonius
16-02-2018, 03:33 PM
It's a must win because to not beat them in two attempts at Easter Road would be pretty annoying.

Try ten attempts. The last time we beat them in the league was 2009.

Wilson
16-02-2018, 03:37 PM
They are a good side and we'll coached.

Given the result last time I'm hoping for a much improved display from ourselves and a closer game.

It isn't a must win. It would just be really encouraging if we could.

Since90+2
16-02-2018, 03:47 PM
If we fall behind to them they are very difficult to beat as McInnes is big into "game management" ie falling about on your arse wasting time and trying every trick in the book to slow the game down.

hibbyfraelibby
16-02-2018, 03:47 PM
Every game is a must win. To think otherwise undermines your resolve and commitment to be rge best you can be.

SRHibs
16-02-2018, 03:52 PM
It’s a big game, but Aberdeen are a very good side by SPL standards, so hopefully if we don’t get a result this place doesn’t go into meltdown again. It would be superb to finish in the top 3 but securing 4th and probable European football has to be the realistic target.

SirDavidsNapper
16-02-2018, 04:06 PM
Try ten attempts. The last time we beat them in the league was 2009.[/COLOR]

Pretty grim reading

jacomo
16-02-2018, 04:08 PM
No meltdown required if the result goes against us, but unless we win it will look really tricky to catch them.

From that point of view, it’s a must win.

Heisenberg
16-02-2018, 04:14 PM
They are a better team than us. If we don’t win tomorrow this will only back up that fact a wee bit. We have a bit to go before we get to where they are.

Brummie_Hibs
16-02-2018, 04:25 PM
If we can beat Rangers at Ibrox then we can beat Aberdeen at ER.

3rd place is my target, but 4th would be amazing nonetheless.

jeffers
16-02-2018, 04:29 PM
They are a better team than us. If we don’t win tomorrow this will only back up that fact a wee bit. We have a bit to go before we get to where they are.

Not sure if they are a better team than us, just maybe more streetwise at times. When you look at our games against the Huns and Celtic we give both a better game than Aberdeen manage. We played our worst game of the season against them at Pittodrie but I thought we deserved at least a draw in the game at ER and after a dreadful start were the better side in the semi last season.

I think we need to win tomorrow though to have any chance of catching them.

Hi Heid Yin
16-02-2018, 05:14 PM
Reverse the results in our two games and we'd sit on 50pts and they'd be on 46pts. That's how fine the margins are between us.
Reverse just one result against them and we'd be separated by 2 pts only.
Aberdeen are more street wise than us and "did a job on us" at Easter Road, where their manager, McInnes, acknowledged that little separated us, in other words, his team got away with a smash and grab and had to put every player behind the ball for the majority of the game.
Tomorrow is definitely a "must-win" game if we are to seriously go for 2nd spot. We must close the points gap...end of.

Sir David Gray
16-02-2018, 05:17 PM
If we want finish in the top 3 then yes it's a must win. Given the cushion we have over the big team it's not a must win game for finishing 4th.

shetlandhibee
16-02-2018, 06:09 PM
they have been more consistent yes, but IMO not a great deal better, compare our results(and performances) v celtic and rankers this season to aberdeens, we have a great chance to get within 5 points tomorow still a lot of points to win before may,, IMO squads are similar strenghths , but if you compare man for man out of the 2 squads i think were a wee bit stronger, and if hibs win tomorow it will only back up that fact a wee bit:wink::flag:

Borderhibbie76
16-02-2018, 07:36 PM
It’s a big game, but Aberdeen are a very good side by SPL standards, so hopefully if we don’t get a result this place doesn’t go into meltdown again. It would be superb to finish in the top 3 but securing 4th and probable European football has to be the realistic target.Absolutely this...they are the benchmark side for usiver next few seasons....but "must win" is a phrase too often used on here. 2moro is not a must win and we won t catch Aberdeen or finish 2nd this season. That's not being negative that's realistic. We have an outside chance of maybe pipping Sevco for 3rd but let's just see what happens. I desperately want us to beat the sheep 2moro as I feel we owe them one...but it's not a must win fixture at all...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Nicho87
16-02-2018, 10:40 PM
It's Aberdeen not Barcelona. Good team yes but they are more than beatable.

If we realistically want even a sniff of second never mind third. We must make home advantage count for once.

basehibby
16-02-2018, 11:47 PM
Every game is a must win. To think otherwise undermines your resolve and commitment to be rge best you can be.

Absolutely this all the way :thumbsup:

But more especially against Aberdeen right now - they've bested us a couple of times on the trot and that needs to be put right for me.

SirDavidsNapper
16-02-2018, 11:51 PM
To me any game at Easter Road is a must win. We are Hibs and are capable of turning over anyone on our own patch.

monktonharp
17-02-2018, 12:13 AM
Absolutely this all the way :thumbsup:

But more especially against Aberdeen right now - they've bested us a couple of times on the trot and that needs to be put right for me.I missed to last game with them at ER, and spoke to several mates who thought we could have won and should have at least drawn. they skelped us up in sheepland, but that might have been a bad day at the office. we get the first goal, they might just get open up and leave us more space than they did in the last ER game. from what I heard, they just shut the door, when they got their goal.

seanshow
17-02-2018, 12:25 AM
The sheepies had 3 chances at Easter road and scored one, unlike that game and the game in Aberdeen We must track runners to stop them scoring.

Not In The Know
17-02-2018, 12:26 AM
No it’s not for me. As much as I would love to win and tbh if we want to finish higher than Aberdeen yes it is. But being realistic 3rd or probably 4th this year is an incredibly good return. saying that we owe them one.

One Day
17-02-2018, 08:44 AM
If we want to finish higher than 4th, yes it is.

I think so too

NAE NOOKIE
17-02-2018, 09:49 AM
In the context of our season a defeat wouldn't be the end of the world .... 4th place would still be a very good effort after 3 years away. But a victory would keep us at least 7 points in front of the Yams and still in contention for 3rd.

The club to watch out for are Killie ... two games in hand and if they win them both they could well leapfrog Motherwell and the Yams.

A win today would be a huge confidence boost for the players and as has been pointed out we are due a victory against that lot ... they have ridden their luck against us at Hampden and in the last game at Easter Road. It will be a tough game though, no doubt about it.

On a side note ..... Ross County are desperate for points and I'm hoping Liam Fontaine who knows all about beating the Yams can inspire them to a draw or even a sneaky wee win today :greengrin

Just Jimmy
17-02-2018, 11:28 AM
Yes. It's Hibs v Aberdeen at Easter Road.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

proud_and_green
17-02-2018, 11:46 AM
I do understand the question, but I think it is a wrong 'un. Football is a sport, the aim of all sports I can think of, is to win. Regardless of our relative position to Aberdeen, the league is too tight for points to drift away without significant consequences. So in that context, would a loss today be catastrophic, no but it would make the job incredibly difficult. Win the game and we make ground on Aberdeen and maintain the distance from the chasers.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

SirDavidsNapper
17-02-2018, 11:49 AM
Yes. It's Hibs v Aberdeen at Easter Road.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

This. Aberdeen are a good, streetwise side but I'd always be looking to beat Aberdeen at home.

Ronniekirk
17-02-2018, 12:19 PM
In oder to keep momentum ,and show consistency ,and put pressure on the Teams above us it is
In terms of finishing fourth it would further consolidate us in that position

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ian cruise
17-02-2018, 01:27 PM

I don't think they are a better team than us, I think we're about 50/50 but unfortunately in head to heads we've let ourselves down or they've raised their game. We've got it in us to beat them and it not to be an upset. The fact we're just promoted means nothing, everyone treats us like a big scalp so we need to raise our game accordingly.

GGTTH

HibeeHibernian4
17-02-2018, 04:34 PM
Either way, we won it anyway!

shetlandhibee
17-02-2018, 06:04 PM
they have been more consistent yes, but IMO not a great deal better, compare our results(and performances) v celtic and rankers this season to aberdeens, we have a great chance to get within 5 points tomorow still a lot of points to win before may,, IMO squads are similar strenghths , but if you compare man for man out of the 2 squads i think were a wee bit stronger, and if hibs win tomorow it will only back up that fact a wee bit:wink::flag::top marks:agree::wink::aok:

Hi Heid Yin
17-02-2018, 07:16 PM

Your thoughts after our utterly convincing defeat of them today?

jacomo
17-02-2018, 08:51 PM
Job done.

Next!