PDA

View Full Version : Europa League Group stages

Billy Whizz
15-02-2018, 07:46 PM
Listening to Peter Lawell’s interview on sportsound just now
Said that for a Scottish team like Aberdeen etc to get into the Europa league group stages, would be worth €8m to €10m for them in gate receipts and prize money
Just show you how far we can go if the can it right on the park

Radium
15-02-2018, 07:51 PM
A good listen, honest about wanting Celtic to dominate, but talked up Scottish football.

Interesting that he sees European football taking up more of the season. That would suggest less league game so a 16 Team league may not be a pipe dream

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IGRIGI
15-02-2018, 07:51 PM
I think the group stages should be our goal, Aberdeen have been getting close.

It's a big step in quality to make that final jump into the group stages but over two games anything's possible.

Billy Whizz
15-02-2018, 07:52 PM
A good listen, honest about wanting Celtic to dominate, but talked up Scottish football.

And an expanded European Europa League is only 6 years away
Going to be an expensive away season ticket

HUTCHYHIBBY
15-02-2018, 08:03 PM
Cracking game just finished a few mins ago on BT Sport - B Dortmund 3 Atalanta 2.

renato
15-02-2018, 08:06 PM
Cracking game just finished a few mins ago on BT Sport - B Dortmund 3 Atalanta 2.

Yeah, just posted on the other thread. Ilicic was outstanding for Atalanta.

HUTCHYHIBBY
15-02-2018, 08:09 PM
Yeah, just posted on the other thread. Ilicic was outstanding for Atalanta.

My old man had 25 notes on Dortmund ht-ft so, we enjoyed the last few mins.

renato
15-02-2018, 08:12 PM
My old man had 25 notes on Dortmund ht-ft so, we enjoyed the last few mins.

Nice. Didn’t think they’d get the winner in the end, brilliant game though.

Ozyhibby
15-02-2018, 08:28 PM
Leeann Dempster states recently that the goal at Hibs is to be competing in the group stages of Europa league. It has to be the next stage for a club our size. It’s where the money is.

Ozyhibby
15-02-2018, 08:29 PM
I missed the interview, if anyone has a link it would be much appreciated.

green day
15-02-2018, 08:32 PM
I missed the interview, if anyone has a link it would be much appreciated.

Should work 👍

https://youtu.be/hDaMHGyjhEk

Viva_Palmeiras
15-02-2018, 08:34 PM
And the minimum capacity requirement for entry to the league?
20k close but no cigar for teams of a certain size...

hibsbollah
15-02-2018, 08:44 PM
Ive just finished a lovely evening in with the ultras in Marseille. 10 euro, easy to get in and out the ground and earsplittingly loud fans. OM 3-0 Braga.

renato
15-02-2018, 09:28 PM
Ive just finished a lovely evening in with the ultras in Marseille. 10 euro, easy to get in and out the ground and earsplittingly loud fans. OM 3-0 Braga.

Jealous, very...

Ozyhibby
16-02-2018, 12:05 PM
https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/competitions/premiership/celtic-chief-aberdeen-hibs-hearts-could-be-europa-league-regulars-1-4690040

Souter96Mac
16-02-2018, 12:09 PM
Reaching the europa league group stages, for me, would be on par if not better a cup win.

KWJ
16-02-2018, 12:37 PM
I quite like the idea of european leagues running concurrently with domestic league for euro cup.

Say league of 12 everyone plays once and top 3 go through to knockouts. Would need good tv and prize money.

Could be even larger with promotion and relegations for domestic finishes.

Say scottish 3rd place team is Hibs next season, we get promoted in europe and scottish 3rd place team next season is in a better euro league.

Complicated but more euro games for teams like Hibs through the year is good IMO. For now at least.

Ringothedog
16-02-2018, 12:56 PM
Reaching the europa league group stages, for me, would be on par if not better a cup win.

Eh Naw, I would take a cup win anytime over something like qualifying for the group stages of a European competition. You wont get 150000 people lining the street if we qualify for the Europa League group stages

GreenNWhiteArmy
16-02-2018, 01:01 PM
Sounds as though it's a move towards some sort of Atlantic/euro league of sorts. In terms of attracting players in the future this must be seen as a good move? And if it's generating more finances for the club then great!

Away season ticket is gonna become a more expensive luxury in life for those that have it!!

The_Exile
16-02-2018, 01:01 PM
Eh Naw, I would take a cup win anytime over something like qualifying for the group stages of a European competition. You wont get 150000 people lining the street if we qualify for the Europa League group stages

No you're right, but we would get a shed load of cash which would improve the team by light years and enable many more days like 21 May 2016. So getting to the Europa League groups is infinitely more important to the clubs future progression than a solitary Scottish Cup.

ancient hibee
16-02-2018, 01:58 PM
That’s because winning the Scottish Cup has nothing to do with the future of the club but everything to do with giving us an experience we will never forget.

Michael
16-02-2018, 02:00 PM
That’s because winning the Scottish Cup has nothing to do with the future of the club but everything to do with giving us an experience we will never forget.

Attendances up significantly though. Europa League group stage would only make a difference if we did it every year.

hibsbollah
16-02-2018, 02:24 PM
Jealous, very...

Im a bit auld for the Ultra carry on really, five minutes in there with the fireworks and the ganja smoke and I hobbled away to my seat clutching my aching knees :greengrin

Some massive teams left in the competition.

You get £2.3 million immediately on qualifying for the group stage. And then approximately another £1million if you get to the last sixteen. Plus £300k or thereabouts for every win. Peanuts for the big clubs but it could massively ramp up Hibs' finances.

Diclonius
16-02-2018, 03:53 PM

It'd be close though. We'd get six top-quality competitive ties against high-class European teams. Three guaranteed sellouts under the floodlights at ER. I'd love it.

Ozyhibby
16-02-2018, 04:10 PM
It really should be possible for Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen to get to the group stages. Smaller clubs than us do so every year.

Ozyhibby
16-02-2018, 07:00 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43080086

Interesting that he says the domestic game gets smaller. He basically saying Europa league will be the main event for clubs like Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen.

renato
16-02-2018, 07:59 PM
Im a bit auld for the Ultra carry on really, five minutes in there with the fireworks and the ganja smoke and I hobbled away to my seat clutching my aching knees :greengrin

Some massive teams left in the competition.

You get £2.3 million immediately on qualifying for the group stage. And then approximately another £1million if you get to the last sixteen. Plus £300k or thereabouts for every win. Peanuts for the big clubs but it could massively ramp up Hibs' finances.

Ditto :greengrin

That would be transformational money for us. The key is being seeded, not having to negotiate 189 qualifying rounds and turning in enough Brondby-esk performances to make it one year. Then the money you make let’s you strengthen the squad significantly and hopefully the upward cycle starts...

Plus imagine drawing a Marseille, AC Milan or Everton in the group, mouth watering ties and trips...

Ozyhibby
16-02-2018, 08:07 PM
Ditto :greengrin

That would be transformational money for us. The key is being seeded, not having to negotiate 189 qualifying rounds and turning in enough Brondby-esk performances to make it one year. Then the money you make let’s you strengthen the squad significantly and hopefully the upward cycle starts...

Plus imagine drawing a Marseille, AC Milan or Everton in the group, mouth watering ties and trips...

Brondby get smaller crowds than us. There is no reason we can’t build a squad as good as theirs.

renato
16-02-2018, 10:22 PM
Brondby get smaller crowds than us. There is no reason we can’t build a squad as good as theirs.

Yep. Although the (perhaps poorly worded) reference to Brondby was relating to our own performances against them which, if matched, should be enough to see off most non-seeded teams and get us into the group stages.

All hypothetical until we qualify, though :greengrin

chippy
16-02-2018, 10:27 PM
[QUOTE=renato;5317594]Ditto :greengrin

Plus imagine drawing a Marseille, AC Milan or Everton in the group, mouth watering ties and trips...[/QUOT
The comments by Lawyell suggest an example an initial league set up probably a kind of Atlantic League. Think it will be for the big clubs that meet stadia and possibly attendace criteria. Wouldnt surprise me to see 4/5 of our clubs in directly. Great news and we could seriously grow the club and possibly compete with Championship clubs on wages. Vulture investors will be hovering as revenue soars.

tamig
16-02-2018, 11:07 PM

Better than a cup win? Seriously? 😂

Souter96Mac
16-02-2018, 11:38 PM
Better than a cup win? Seriously? 😂

A cup win is fantastic, don't get me wrong, the day out and the memories. But as an achievement, for any Scottish club to qualify for the group stages of a European competition, outside of Celtic, is a fantastic one and a chance to increase finance revenue which can take the club to the next step and increase the amount of success we achieve. I'm not saying we would have a open top bus if we qualified, but the long term benefits would be great.

Eyrie
17-02-2018, 12:25 AM
A cup win is fantastic, don't get me wrong, the day out and the memories. But as an achievement, for any Scottish club to qualify for the group stages of a European competition, outside of Celtic, is a fantastic one and a chance to increase finance revenue which can take the club to the next step and increase the amount of success we achieve. I'm not saying we would have a open top bus if we qualified, but the long term benefits would be great.
In fifty years time Hibs fans will still be talking about 1972, 1991, 2007, 2016 and several more cup wins.

They won't be reminiscing about making the group stages of the Europa League, and particularly not if it becomes the regular occurrance that Lawwell says is achievable.

SirDavidsNapper
17-02-2018, 12:41 AM
In fifty years time Hibs fans will still be talking about 1972, 1991, 2007, 2016 and several more cup wins.

They won't be reminiscing about making the group stages of the Europa League, and particularly not if it becomes the regular occurrance that Lawwell says is achievable.

This. Qualifying for Europe normally ends in an embarrassing dose of realism anyway. Would you rather qualify for Europe and be eliminated by a Maltese part time side Hearts style or not qualify at all? I'd rather not. Best scottish teams can hope for in Europe is a one off glamour tie like Aberdeen got against Athletico (i think). 91 , 07 and 16 will be forever engrained in my memory whereas a couple of games in Europe are nice but usually forgotten.

WhileTheChief..
17-02-2018, 01:04 AM
We still go on about our games against Napoli, Leeds and Barca etc!!

We’d have the potential for some more amazing euro nights that could be just as good as anything in the past.

Keyser Sauzee
17-02-2018, 01:07 AM

Tbf without knowing the full extent of both teams revenue streams it’s impossible to say that.

Michael
17-02-2018, 08:36 AM
Tbf without knowing the full extent of both teams revenue streams it’s impossible to say that.

Their TV deal is more than double ours (19m Vs 46m) so they will have a bit more cash.

Still, there's no reason that Scottish football should be worth so much less than Denmark football. Similar population.

SChibs
17-02-2018, 08:54 AM
We still go on about our games against Napoli, Leeds and Barca etc!!

We’d have the potential for some more amazing euro nights that could be just as good as anything in the past.

AEK Athens too.

overdrive
17-02-2018, 09:50 AM
This. Qualifying for Europe normally ends in an embarrassing dose of realism anyway. Would you rather qualify for Europe and be eliminated by a Maltese part time side Hearts style or not qualify at all? I'd rather not. Best scottish teams can hope for in Europe is a one off glamour tie like Aberdeen got against Athletico (i think). 91 , 07 and 16 will be forever engrained in my memory whereas a couple of games in Europe are nice but usually forgotten.

I bet Aberdeen fans remember their outstanding run under Calderwood. In Europe after Christmas, drawing with Bayern in the Home leg.

I agree it is different to a Cup win but it is special in its own right.

Edit: I just looked up that Aberdeen - Bayern game and it was 10 years ago this week. How time flies.

Caversham Green
17-02-2018, 11:56 AM
I bet Aberdeen fans remember their outstanding run under Calderwood. In Europe after Christmas, drawing with Bayern in the Home leg.

I agree it is different to a Cup win but it is special in its own right.

Edit: I just looked up that Aberdeen - Bayern game and it was 10 years ago this week. How time flies.

Aberdeen's turnover for that season was £12.8m - the previous season's was £7.5m and the season after's was £8.5m.

That set them up for several years and shows just how valuable qualification is.

StevieCowan
17-02-2018, 12:28 PM
First things first and all that, this is the cash split for last season and it dwarfs the money we got for winning the Championship.

The biggest prize is reserved for the champions. Celtic will pick up £2.8m for lifting the Premiership trophy.
The team finishing in second will receive just over £2m,
The side coming third in the final guaranteed Europa League spot picking up £1.7m.
Fourth place will pick up £1.5m,
Fifth earn £1.4m
Sixth spot guarantees a team £1.3m.

Eyrie
17-02-2018, 02:03 PM
First things first and all that, this is the cash split for last season and it dwarfs the money we got for winning the Championship.

The biggest prize is reserved for the champions. Celtic will pick up £2.8m for lifting the Premiership trophy.
The team finishing in second will receive just over £2m,
The side coming third in the final guaranteed Europa League spot picking up £1.7m.
Fourth place will pick up £1.5m,
Fifth earn £1.4m
Sixth spot guarantees a team £1.3m.

Veering slightly off topic, but that is a ridiculously massive gap from first to second.