PDA

View Full Version : TV Money

InchHibby
15-02-2018, 05:27 AM
I’m not too clued up on the distribution of tv money between the clubs. Do we all, in the Premier, get an equal share, or is it paid out only if your game is televised.
It seems that both Rangers and Celtic are on every week. I know the home team gets more of a payment than the visiting team, but surely once again, the bulk of the money is going to the same two just like the old days.

Can anyone enlighten me on this.
GGTTH

Michael
15-02-2018, 07:33 AM
Based on final position. Here is last season's:

Edit: Sorry, no idea why it linked to a spurs site! Hard to do links on mobile.

HappyAsHellas
15-02-2018, 08:37 AM
Link goes to a spurs site?

green&left
15-02-2018, 08:42 AM
I’m not too clued up on the distribution of tv money between the clubs. Do we all, in the Premier, get an equal share, or is it paid out only if your game is televised.
It seems that both Rangers and Celtic are on every week. I know the home team gets more of a payment than the visiting team, but surely once again, the bulk of the money is going to the same two just like the old days.

GGTTH

Based on league standings.

See here > https://images.stv.tv/articles/w768/524761-scottish-premiership-payouts-from-2020-21.jpg

Tynie01011973
15-02-2018, 08:50 AM
Based on league standings.

See here > https://images.stv.tv/articles/w768/524761-scottish-premiership-payouts-from-2020-21.jpg

That's for Season 2020/1

Figures for last season 2016/7 were https://stv.tv/sport/football/1385575-this-is-how-much-your-team-will-make-in-post-split-money/

green&left
15-02-2018, 08:52 AM
That's for Season 2020/1

Figures for last season 2016/7 were https://stv.tv/sport/football/1385575-this-is-how-much-your-team-will-make-in-post-split-money/

Well spotted. Wasn't aware a new TV deal had been agree'd.

danhibees1875
15-02-2018, 08:59 AM
So total prize money is going from £17m last year to £26m in 2021?

That seems quite a substantial increase.

lucky
15-02-2018, 09:46 AM
It’s peanuts when Sky are paying £9.3m a game in the EPL in their new TV deal down from £10.7m a game

ancient hibee
15-02-2018, 03:49 PM

GGTTH
Only in cup games does TV money go directly to the two teams.Otherwise it goes into the prize pot.

Eyrie
15-02-2018, 08:06 PM
I'd be in favour of the home team getting a flat fee for each game being televised as they're the one losing out through a lowered attendance.

son of haggart
15-02-2018, 08:37 PM
I'd be in favour of the home team getting a flat fee for each game being televised as they're the one losing out through a lowered attendance.

In the cup the teams share the gate receipts so a share of the tv revenue is fair. I’d agree with you pr other point as long as they restrict the OF to 4 homes games televised as now, otherwise it would be another brick in the wall

Eyrie
15-02-2018, 08:45 PM
In the cup the teams share the gate receipts so a share of the tv revenue is fair. I’d agree with you pr other point as long as they restrict the OF to 4 homes games televised as now, otherwise it would be another brick in the wall

The away team doesn't lose out financially so why dilute the money by giving them anything?

Agree on restricting the home games for Celtc and Sevco, although I think they insist on that to keep their season ticket holders happy.

I don't know about the current TV deal but a few years ago we were able to stop a game being televised because we'd already fulfilled our quota of televised home games. A similar contractual limit would help here.

worcesterhibby
16-02-2018, 02:27 PM
It’s peanuts when Sky are paying £9.3m a game in the EPL in their new TV deal down from £10.7m a game

Yes but it is a decent increase. Saying that it's peanuts because the EPL gets so much more is like telling an extra in Take the High Road that their 30% pay increase is pathetic because Leonardo Di Caprio earns 10,000 x more !

I firmly believe the health of the game in Scotland is all about momentum and direction of travel, right now there are a lot of things to be positive about:

Increased attendances
Increased TV money
Higher profile managers coming to SPL
reduction in sexism/racism/homophobia at games (if only the same were true of sectarianism)

The next step is for clubs other than Celtic to start doing better in Europe
The new qualification system for the Euros should also see Scotland back in a major competition

All the above is positive and a positive direction of travel leads to improved TV deals going forward, more money coming in and further forward momentum.

The future is bright, the future is green ! (with white sleeves)

((yes Ok I am a happy clapper))

mjhibby
16-02-2018, 03:10 PM
If hibs finish 4th we get around £1.5m an increase of over £1m on last season. The cup runs we've had has ensured we didn't run up substantial losses in the championship.

Eyrie
17-02-2018, 02:11 PM
Taken from the Europa League Group Stages thread

First things first and all that, this is the cash split for last season and it dwarfs the money we got for winning the Championship.

The biggest prize is reserved for the champions. Celtic will pick up £2.8m for lifting the Premiership trophy.
The team finishing in second will receive just over £2m,
The side coming third in the final guaranteed Europa League spot picking up £1.7m.
Fourth place will pick up £1.5m,
Fifth earn £1.4m
Sixth spot guarantees a team £1.3m.

I'd give the Champions £2.2m and runners up £1.9m. The £700k saved would then be paid to the home team in each televised fixture which would be worth about £20k a time, or the equivalent of 1000 fans not going because it's on the TV.

The runner up loses £100k but would get most of that back from being the home team. The champions lose £600k and only get a small part of that back. Since Celtc will be the champions for the foreseeable future, then it's safe to say that £500-600k will make no difference to their overall budget. However £60-£80k for three or four home games would be a big help to clubs like St Johnstone or Dundee.