PDA

View Full Version : Team v Aberdeen

BlackSheep
14-02-2018, 03:32 PM
It’s getting close so I thought I’d get the ball rolling.

My starting 11 would be:-

Marciano

Hanlon
McGregor
Ambrose

Stevenson
McGinn
Allan
McGeouch
Boyle

McLaren
Kamberi

I think what we should have learned from the Rangers game is that we can play a flexible formation, with the wide players dropping back when we are defending, but breaking with speed when attacking.

When the wide players dropped back against Rangers it snuffed out most of their attacks by giving very little room for manoeuvre... this needs to happen to stop Aberdeen’s midfield.

Two up top to trouble their defence.

I did consider Swanson on the left, but I think he needs a couple more appearances from the bench to settle in.

This starting 11 leaves us flexible enough on the bench to bring on Bartley to control the game should we need to protect a lead, or to come on a cut out their midfield if our 3/5 are not coping.

Thoughts?

Sir David Gray
14-02-2018, 03:55 PM
Assuming our only injuries are Gray, Whittaker, Laidlaw and Barker;

Marciano

Stevenson
Hanlon
McGregor
Ambrose

Bartley
Allan
McGinn
McGeouch
Boyle

Kamberi

SUBS

Bell
Porteous
Rherras
Swanson
Slivka
Shaw
Maclaren

BlackSheep
14-02-2018, 04:40 PM
Assuming our only injuries are Gray, Whittaker, Laidlaw and Barker;

Marciano

Stevenson
Hanlon
McGregor
Ambrose

Bartley
Allan
McGinn
McGeouch
Boyle

Kamberi

SUBS

Bell
Porteous
Rherras
Swanson
Slivka
Shaw
Maclaren

Who plays where? I only really see 1 wide player in there with 4 centre mids....

I’m also reluctant to persist with Ambrose at RB when we have better options now... playing 3 CBs against Rangers proves this.

Souter96Mac
14-02-2018, 04:56 PM

Marciano

Hanlon
McGregor
Ambrose

Stevenson
McGinn
Allan
McGeouch
Boyle

McLaren
Kamberi

This for me. Solid at the back whilst gives us plenty going forward.

S4uzee
14-02-2018, 07:08 PM
Marciano

Ambrose Mcgregor Hanlon

Boyle McGeouch Bartley McGinn Stevenson

Allan

Kamberi

Give Allan a free role off Kamberi and allows us to have 4 cm

BlackSheep
14-02-2018, 07:35 PM
Marciano

Ambrose Mcgregor Hanlon

Boyle McGeouch Bartley McGinn Stevenson

Allan

Kamberi

Give Allan a free role off Kamberi and allows us to have 4 cm

Like this too 👍🏻

Although if Bartley starts I’d be inclined to pop Swanson on the left over Lewy, just to maintain an attack/defence balance.... Bartley is much more defensively minded so put Swanson on to add to the attack from the midfield.

TheHiddenToun
14-02-2018, 07:37 PM
Marciano

Ambrose
McGregor
Hanlon

Boyle
Allan
McGinn
McGeough
Stevenson

Kamberi
Maclaren

I reckon Ambrose would struggle at RB against the sheep. Gives us the best balance and option to change the shape if it's not working.

BlackSheep
14-02-2018, 07:41 PM
I see a pattern emerging here, hope Lennon is in the same mindset.

GGTTH

Tyler Durden
14-02-2018, 07:42 PM

Marciano

Hanlon
McGregor
Ambrose

Stevenson
McGinn
Allan
McGeouch
Boyle

McLaren
Kamberi

Thoughts?

I think you have it spot on 👍🏻

We don’t need Bartley with 3 CBs and we need to take the game to them. The 2 strikers look like they linked up well at Ibrox so give them another chance with Allan supplying them.

2-1 Hibs

BlackSheep
15-02-2018, 07:33 AM
Quite refreshing to see others thinking similarly to how I have been been thinking all season... we have to play to our strengths and having 3 top notch CBs but playing one as a RB just isn’t the best use of the resources we have. I think Scott Allan’s return may have been the final piece to the puzzle, if he can replicate his form (especially in the first half) of the Rangers match then I feel we have the right combination of players right now.

If Lennon can build Boyle’s defensive skills (no current criticism from me I just haven’t paid close attention to that aspect of his game) and work with Lewy’s delivery (he gets in the right positions but honestly, I need more than two hands and feet to count how many of his crosses don’t make it passed the first man) then I think we could have a winning formation and first 11.

Jones28
15-02-2018, 07:54 AM

Marciano

Hanlon
McGregor
Ambrose

Stevenson
McGinn
Allan
McGeouch
Boyle

McLaren
Kamberi

I think what we should have learned from the Rangers game is that we can play a flexible formation, with the wide players dropping back when we are defending, but breaking with speed when attacking.

When the wide players dropped back against Rangers it snuffed out most of their attacks by giving very little room for manoeuvre... this needs to happen to stop Aberdeen’s midfield.

I did consider Swanson on the left, but I think he needs a couple more appearances from the bench to settle in.

This starting 11 leaves us flexible enough on the bench to bring on Bartley to control the game should we need to protect a lead, or to come on a cut out their midfield if our 3/5 are not coping.

Thoughts?

Yepp, as good a team as we've got

GreenOnions
15-02-2018, 08:11 AM
I also think NL indicated that he thought Whittaker might be fit for this game? It would be good to see him back in the squad. I like the OPs line-up suggestion for Saturday though

Salt N Sauzee
15-02-2018, 08:21 AM
Porteous should keep his place in defence. He's earned it.

NorthNorfolkHFC
15-02-2018, 08:45 AM
I also think NL indicated that he thought Whittaker might be fit for this game? It would be good to see him back in the squad. I like the OPs line-up suggestion for Saturday though

It’s good to have Whittaker back. I do hope that his poor performances were a result of him playing through injury.

Needs to start living up to his reputation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Billy Whizz
15-02-2018, 08:46 AM
Porteous should keep his place in defence. He's earned it.

I think he has, but who do you drop out if Hanlon and Daz are fit
Any update on them and Slivka?

Nameless
15-02-2018, 09:19 AM
I'd play Bartley in a man marking role on GMS and Allan in a free role.

GK - Rocky
CB - Ryan
CB - Daz
CB - Paul
RWB - Efe
LWB- Lewis
DM/Man marking - Marvin
CM- Dylan
CM - SJM
AM/Free role - Allan
CF - Flo

With this set up, I guarantee a 5 goal win.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

18Hibee75
15-02-2018, 09:48 AM
Definitely would like to see a 3 at the back (Ambrose, Hanlon, McGregor) with Allan, McGinn and McGeouch in the middle. Don't think we really need Bartley against Aberdeen, plus if he gets booked he's out for the Derby!

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
15-02-2018, 10:08 AM

GK - Rocky
CB - Ryan
CB - Daz
CB - Paul
RWB - Efe
LWB- Lewis
DM/Man marking - Marvin
CM- Dylan
CM - SJM
AM/Free role - Allan
CF - Flo

A man marker and a free role? That would be a pretty flimsy shape to our midfield!

BlackSheep
15-02-2018, 10:11 AM

GK - Rocky
CB - Ryan
CB - Daz
CB - Paul
RWB - Efe
LWB- Lewis
DM/Man marking - Marvin
CM- Dylan
CM - SJM
AM/Free role - Allan
CF - Flo

A 5 goal win...!??

Your line up has what I would consider at least 6 maybe even 7/8 defensively minded players....

3 CBs

The 2 ‘wingbacks’ you have selected are naturally defensive players who IMHO while do get forward are not ideal attacking players.

Bartley, again a DM,

That leaves both McGeouch and McGinn who also drop deep to collect the ball and begin offensive moves.

I agree with others opinion on Porteous as well, he deserv s his starting place... and will likely keep it, replace by whoever out of Daz and Hanlon that hasn’t recovered as fully as the other. He could even replace Ambrose, who in many’s eyes could do with a week off.

If Whittaker is back then I can see him getting a run as the left or right wingback late in the game to give him minutes.

Shaw will be looking to prove something in the top league so could see time too... maybe not a starter but defo as a sub.

BlackSheep
15-02-2018, 10:12 AM
I see my line up with the midfield shaped like a ‘w’

Dylan and McGinn dropping deeper with the wingbacks and Allan attacking.

Hibee87
15-02-2018, 10:27 AM
Its a rough choice for lennon but id start same formation that finsihed v rangers.

3 cb (whichever 3 are fittest)

Boyle and lewis as the wb

Mcgin allan mcgeough in cm

Flo and maclaren up top

Nameless
15-02-2018, 11:47 AM
A 5 goal win...!??

Your line up has what I would consider at least 6 maybe even 7/8 defensively minded players....

3 CBs

The 2 ‘wingbacks’ you have selected are naturally defensive players who IMHO while do get forward are not ideal attacking players.

Bartley, again a DM,

That leaves both McGeouch and McGinn who also drop deep to collect the ball and begin offensive moves.

I agree with others opinion on Porteous as well, he deserv s his starting place... and will likely keep it, replace by whoever out of Daz and Hanlon that hasn’t recovered as fully as the other. He could even replace Ambrose, who in many’s eyes could do with a week off.

If Whittaker is back then I can see him getting a run as the left or right wingback late in the game to give him minutes.

Shaw will be looking to prove something in the top league so could see time too... maybe not a starter but defo as a sub.You've shown my post far more respect than it deserves - fair play to you.

Nameless
15-02-2018, 11:48 AM
A man marker and a free role? That would be a pretty flimsy shape to our midfield!By flimsy, do you mean impressive and powerful?

.Sean.
15-02-2018, 12:11 PM
I think he has, but who do you drop out if Hanlon and Daz are fit
Any update on them and Slivka?
I'd play Porteous with the two you mentioned and have Ambrose on the bench if all are fit.

flash
15-02-2018, 12:16 PM
Here's mine for what it's worth;

Rocky

Efe
Daz
Hanlon

Boyle
Bartley
McGeouch
McGinn
Lewis

Allan

Kamberi.

J-C
15-02-2018, 02:11 PM
If we're going with 3 at the back we don't need Bartley, play to our strengths and let Aberdeen worry about us.

Rocky

Efe
McGregor
Hanlon

Boyle
Allan
Dylan
McGinn
Stevenson

Kamberi
Maclaren

If we go a back 4

Rocky

Efe
McGregor
Hanlon
Stevenson

Allan
Dylan
McGinn

Boyle
Mclaren
Kamberi/Swanson

Lets go for it.

Billy Whizz
15-02-2018, 06:30 PM
Just watched Neil’s interview on Hibs TV
Confirmed that Daz and Paul were back training, but Whittaker,Gray, Slivka and Barker we’re still out. He added that Barkers injury wasn’t as bad as 1st thought, could be out just another 3 weeks or so

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
15-02-2018, 07:10 PM
By flimsy, do you mean impressive and powerful?

No, i do not!

If one of your central midfielders is man marking a winger, and another is playing whetrever he likes, it wouldnt leave much in the way of a shape would it?!

Nameless
15-02-2018, 07:23 PM
No, i do not!

If one of your central midfielders is man marking a winger, and another is playing whetrever he likes, it wouldnt leave much in the way of a shape would it?!Shapes don't win championships man, cojones do. Team work makes the dream work

BlackSheep
17-02-2018, 06:07 PM

Marciano

Hanlon
McGregor
Ambrose

Stevenson
McGinn
Allan
McGeouch
Boyle

McLaren
Kamberi

Thoughts?

Seems Lennon thinks the same as most of us on here right now.

What a game today! So happy it all worked... this 11 and our squad are so strong right now and I can see us only getting better once everyone settles into this way of playing.

GGTTH