PDA

View Full Version : Stubbsy's interviewed by Oxford

13-02-2018, 06:10 PM
http://the72.co.uk/98368/oxford-united-interview-ex-rotherham-manager/

Good luck Stubbsy, just be sure to make yourself available when Lennon leaves us.

pacoluna
13-02-2018, 06:35 PM
Don't think he will get a job down south because of his short time with Rotherham, will need to climb the ladder again via Scotland and at a club lower than hibs in my opinion.

greenlex
13-02-2018, 06:39 PM
See him more of a Cambridge man.

Lago
13-02-2018, 06:59 PM
Don't think he will get a job down south because of his short time with Rotherham, will need to climb the ladder again via Scotland and at a club lower than hibs in my opinion.
Nope

SquashedFrogg
13-02-2018, 07:06 PM

Totally disagree. Just out of curiosity, why Scotland?

Hi Heid Yin
13-02-2018, 07:08 PM
I can only wish Alan Stubbs well in whatever job he goes for.
He has nothing to prove to this Hibby, but I'm sure he is motivated by a desire to prove himself down in England - especially after the Rotherham disaster, which was nothing more than a poor choice of club. Mourinho would similarly have struggled under the particular circumstances facing that club at that time, and similarly he too would have been sacked for his efforts.

Smartie
13-02-2018, 07:09 PM
Rotherham are a bit of a basket case and I'm sure most chairmen will recognise that.

Stubbs talks well, keeps himself in the spotlight and is fairly high profile having played for and coached at a high level.

I'm sure he'll get himself a decent job again, although it may need to be at a slightly lower level.

Although the longer he's out of work, the trickier it might be for him to get back in somewhere.

pacoluna
13-02-2018, 07:13 PM
Totally disagree. Just out of curiosity, why Scotland?

His reputation I would imagine is better up here than what it is down south.

keep the faith
13-02-2018, 07:14 PM

No chance. His reputation will still be strong.

pacoluna
13-02-2018, 07:16 PM
Rotherham are a bit of a basket case and I'm sure most chairmen will recognise that.

Stubbs talks well, keeps himself in the spotlight and is fairly high profile having played for and coached at a high level.

I'm sure he'll get himself a decent job again, although it may need to be at a slightly lower level.

Although the longer he's out of work, the trickier it might be for him to get back in somewhere.
Maybe a basket case of a club but his record there was atrocious, no hiding that fact. Neil Warnock done well well with them the year before and currently their doing not too bad.

Smartie
13-02-2018, 07:24 PM
Maybe a basket case of a club but his record there was atrocious, no hiding that fact. Neil Warnock done well well with them the year before and currently their doing not too bad.

His record there was certainly awful, pretty indefensible really.

Although manning Rotherham in the Championship is a different ask to managing them in League One. You'd expect them to just about hold their own in League One, you'd expect them to struggle in the Championship with the size of some of the clubs in there.

I'd imagine that if Stubbsy got a foot in the door then he could do well - as I said, I think he talks well. I'm sure he could explain away the Rotherham job and talk himself up.

He managed to impress Leeann enough, even though he'd never been a boss in his own right before.

SquashedFrogg
13-02-2018, 07:26 PM
His reputation I would imagine is better up here than what it is down south.

I'm sure English clubs watch our football. He's played at a high level, has good pedigree in coming through management system, has contacts down south.

I'm not saying he won't come to Scotland. Just suspect he will get far more attractive offers down south.

There are other countries too.

Onion
13-02-2018, 07:29 PM
Live in hope that Stubbs will return to ER at some stage in the future. Did an excellent job in the most difficult circumstances and delivered the greatest day many of us will ever have in all our days of watching Hibs. He's also a really nice, genuine guy. Hibs class :greengrin

pacoluna
13-02-2018, 07:30 PM
I'm sure English clubs watch our football. He's played at a high level, has good pedigree in coming through management system, has contacts down south.

I'm not saying he won't come to Scotland. Just suspect he will get far more attractive offers down south.

There are other countries too.

I don't think he will, if social media gives you a little glimpse of his reputation down south then it backs up my theory. But as a previous poster said maybe when giving the chance of an interview he will impress.

lord bunberry
13-02-2018, 07:30 PM
One thing is for sure, he needs to choose his next club wisely. He made a huge error going to Rotherham, everyone said so at the time.

pacoluna
13-02-2018, 07:33 PM
One thing is for sure, he needs to choose his next club wisely. He made a huge error going to Rotherham, everyone said so at the time.

I'm surprised he turned down Dundee united.

IGRIGI
13-02-2018, 07:40 PM
Might need to worry more about explaining the third place finish behind Falkirk.

:greengrin

keep the faith
13-02-2018, 07:41 PM
There is a good interview with Stubbs on that Si Ferry meets ... You tube thing.

It's actually incredible how these interviews are so watchable when ferry basically just s******s and agrees with everything!

AgentDaleCooper
13-02-2018, 07:45 PM
I'm surprised he turned down Dundee united.

i'm not - the last this his career needs is another failed promotion attempt for that league. it would have been a pretty major risk, especially with st. mirren being so strong this year.

pacoluna
13-02-2018, 07:48 PM
i'm not - the last this his career needs is another failed promotion attempt for that league. it would have been a pretty major risk, especially with st. mirren being so strong this year.

He needs to prove himself at some point.

pacoluna
13-02-2018, 08:13 PM
His record there was certainly awful, pretty indefensible really.

Although manning Rotherham in the Championship is a different ask to managing them in League One. You'd expect them to just about hold their own in League One, you'd expect them to struggle in the Championship with the size of some of the clubs in there.

I'd imagine that if Stubbsy got a foot in the door then he could do well - as I said, I think he talks well. I'm sure he could explain away the Rotherham job and talk himself up.

He managed to impress Leeann enough, even though he'd never been a boss in his own right before.

People where saying Rotherham would plummet down the leagues, their currently in the run for promotion back to chship. A lot of questions as to why Stubbs got it so wrong at Rotherham. This is one supporters reason....

Apart from very bad signings releasing a proven champ striker that had been offered a deal that he revoked to then start the season with only 1 fit striker. Piss poor recruitment. Even worse tactics. Unreal arrogance. He turned on the fans cause he was asked why he couldn'tWalk half the length of the pitch to applaud away fans at Bournemouth on a Tuesday night when we had done nothing but get hammered week in week out. He dismantled a team that had gone 11 unbeaten to stay in the champ and signed players like Scott Alan who was 3 yards Off the pace and had the turning circle of the empire state building. Signed multiple players that had absolutely no fight at all. Terrible manager terrible attitude wouldn't wish him on your club mate I would millwall or mk dons tho. Steer well clear he will destroy your club

BOB MARLEYS DUG
13-02-2018, 08:26 PM
I reckon he’ll get the job.

Smartie
13-02-2018, 08:28 PM
People where saying Rotherham would plummet down the leagues, their currently in the run for promotion back to chship. A lot of questions as to why Stubbs got it so wrong at Rotherham. This is one supporters reason....

Apart from very bad signings releasing a proven champ striker that had been offered a deal that he revoked to then start the season with only 1 fit striker. Piss poor recruitment. Even worse tactics. Unreal arrogance. He turned on the fans cause he was asked why he couldn'tWalk half the length of the pitch to applaud away fans at Bournemouth on a Tuesday night when we had done nothing but get hammered week in week out. He dismantled a team that had gone 11 unbeaten to stay in the champ and signed players like Scott Alan who was 3 yards Off the pace and had the turning circle of the empire state building. Signed multiple players that had absolutely no fight at all. Terrible manager terrible attitude wouldn't wish him on your club mate I would millwall or mk dons tho. Steer well clear he will destroy your club

So he...........

Tried to make his mark on the squad he inherited.

Didn't feel arsed going to clap a group of folk who were probably only going to give him dog's abuse.

Dismantled a team that had needed to go on an 11 team unbeaten run just to stay in the league.

Signed a player who had done the business for him at a previous club, being the POTY for the division he was playing in. Stubbs was let down by Scott Allan at Rotherham.

Quickly got into a the kind of rut that is very difficult for any club to get out of, let alone a squad that had been cobbled together over a summer.

Superb manager, great attitude. Not the finished article, but I'd welcome him back here any day. He had a nightmare at Rotherham, but every manager now will have a blot or two on their CV.

He's worthy of an opportunity somewhere, and should be stronger for his experience at Rotherham.

pacoluna
13-02-2018, 08:34 PM
So he...........

Tried to make his mark on the squad he inherited.

Didn't feel arsed going to clap a group of folk who were probably only going to give him dog's abuse.

Dismantled a team that had needed to go on an 11 team unbeaten run just to stay in the league.

Signed a player who had done the business for him at a previous club, being the POTY for the division he was playing in. Stubbs was let down by Scott Allan at Rotherham.

Quickly got into a the kind of rut that is very difficult for any club to get out of, let alone a squad that had been cobbled together over a summer.

Superb manager, great attitude. Not the finished article, but I'd welcome him back here any day. He had a nightmare at Rotherham, but every manager now will have a blot or two on their CV.

He's worthy of an opportunity somewhere, and should be stronger for his experience at Rotherham.

I'm just using his Rotherham experience as to why I think he will struggle finding a job down south. As a manager I think he has a lot to prove and I don't seem as a replacement for Lennon when he moves on.

Scouse Hibee
13-02-2018, 08:50 PM
Unsworth already turned down Oxford, they must like the Everton connection.

Smartie
13-02-2018, 08:55 PM
I'm just using his Rotherham experience as to why I think he will struggle finding a job down south. As a manager I think he has a lot to prove and I don't seem as a replacement for Lennon when he moves on.

I do actually agree with much of what you say.

They don't always think very highly of Scottish football down South so anything he achieved up here will be glossed over.

He does have a lot to prove - he had some great highs and achievements here but he also had failings and failures.

Any experienced manager going for a job nowadays will have a "Stubbsy's Rotherham" on their cv somewhere.

I do think that if he gets a foot in the door somewhere though that he will manage to talk well, and more more and more you hear chairmen explain peculiar appointments by mentioning how well a candidate spoke at interview.

I don't suspect chairmen will take fans comments on websites into consideration.

And I'd happily take him back if Lennon left. He's a known quantity (if not the finished article) who did brilliantly against Premier League sides when he was with us before. He will be older and a bit more streetwise following his experience at Rotherham. He might appreciate that the grass isn't much greener outside Easter Road. During his time some superb players joined Hibs and the players all seemed to enjoy playing for him. He'd be a returning hero who the fans wouldn't hesitate to get behind.

matty_f
13-02-2018, 09:06 PM
Live in hope that Stubbs will return to ER at some stage in the future. Did an excellent job in the most difficult circumstances and delivered the greatest day many of us will ever have in all our days of watching Hibs. He's also a really nice, genuine guy. Hibs class :greengrin

Same here. Got a lot of love for Stubbs and I'd love to see him back at Hibs (once Lennon's time is up, which I hope isn't for a long time yet).

3pm
13-02-2018, 09:10 PM
Dylan signed that contract yet?! 👀

CRAZYHIBBY
13-02-2018, 09:16 PM
Dylan signed that contract yet?! 👀

Naw

Northernhibee
13-02-2018, 09:21 PM
I've said before that Lewis Stevenson is my all time favourite Hibs player because of the manner in which he plays, the loyalty he's shown and what he's achieved and I hold him and also Stubbs up in the same level as Turnbull, Stanton, Reilly etc. in terms of how I view my all time favourite members of the Hibs family.

I can't think of a manager in the time I've followed Hibs who has represented the club with such class and dignity as him. His life story as well, his battles with cancer and how he's battled back into football, the football he had us playing, the exciting young players he brought in, the derby record, his obvious love for the club and leading us to the Scottish cup.

I'd absolutely love to have him back at the club. In thirty years time people won't remember the 3rd placed league finish (caused by a ridiculous schedule for a team with not that many players), he'll be seen as a great of the club because of his achievement and his incredible dignity and humility in how he handled himself in that cup run.

3pm
13-02-2018, 09:27 PM
Naw

Is he gonnae?

heretoday
13-02-2018, 09:55 PM
See him more of a Cambridge man.

Not a Blue, surely?

Swedish hibee
13-02-2018, 10:20 PM
Stubbsy💚 love that man!

13-02-2018, 10:50 PM
There is a good interview with Stubbs on that Si Ferry meets ... You tube thing.

It's actually incredible how these interviews are so watchable when ferry basically just s******s and agrees with everything!

Watched the 1st one last night and enjoyed it. It was interesting when he spoke about Wim Jansen's management style being completely different to anything he'd encountered before. No shouting and going nuts at them when they weren't performing well, just very calmly saying what they need to do to play better. It obviously worked for Celtic that season and I wondered how big an influence it had on his own management style. A fair bit I'd guess and Si Ferry should have asked him the question.

RossScott1991
13-02-2018, 11:15 PM
I've said before that Lewis Stevenson is my all time favourite Hibs player because of the manner in which he plays, the loyalty he's shown and what he's achieved and I hold him and also Stubbs up in the same level as Turnbull, Stanton, Reilly etc. in terms of how I view my all time favourite members of the Hibs family.

I can't think of a manager in the time I've followed Hibs who has represented the club with such class and dignity as him. His life story as well, his battles with cancer and how he's battled back into football, the football he had us playing, the exciting young players he brought in, the derby record, his obvious love for the club and leading us to the Scottish cup.

I'd absolutely love to have him back at the club. In thirty years time people won't remember the 3rd placed league finish (caused by a ridiculous schedule for a team with not that many players), he'll be seen as a great of the club because of his achievement and his incredible dignity and humility in how he handled himself in that cup run.

Brilliant post, one of my favourite posts ever in fact. Word for word how I feel about Stubbs and Stevenson.

The_Exile
13-02-2018, 11:25 PM
I think his exceptional work with the Everton under 23s will carry more weight than the Rotherham disaster. Any manager would’ve struggled at that club during that time. If he gets a job at a stable club with realistic expectations he’ll do well.

Hi Heid Yin
13-02-2018, 11:30 PM
Stubbsy built a wonderful side that had everything stacked against it in terms of circumstances: The Rangers and Hearts being down there with us; the appalling refereeing decisions in key play off matches such as the "blatant handball pullback" by the Falkirk defender; fixture congestion pile ups that meant playing game after game after game, mere days apart, inducing fatigue and niggly injuries, and affecting recovery time and eventually our league form. To deliver the Holy Grail on the back of so much heartache leading up to it in the play offs was a minor miracle.
Stubbsy had an eye for a good player and he built an attractive side. He ultimately laid the foundations of a promotion-winning side for Neil Lennon to take over, tweak and take us back to where we belong.
Should Lennon leave us, which is inevitable at some future point, Stubbsy would be warmly welcomed back as manager by this Hibby.

heretoday
14-02-2018, 12:49 AM
I wouldn't want him back.

What if he failed? Cries of Stubbs Out?

Not worth the risk.

lord bunberry
14-02-2018, 01:09 AM
Might need to worry more about explaining the third place finish behind Falkirk.

:greengrin
He could start with making both major cup finals from the second tier, and winning the big one.

matty_f
14-02-2018, 01:14 AM
He could start with making both major cup finals from the second tier, and winning the big one.

That's where I'd start. :thumbsup:

SirDavidsNapper
14-02-2018, 06:17 AM
I wouldn't want him back.

What if he failed? Cries of Stubbs Out?

Not worth the risk.

There were cries of that before the cup final