PDA

View Full Version : Martin McIntosh

drummondst
12-02-2018, 08:36 PM
Martin McIntosh has parted company as manager of Buxton in
the Northern Premier League after 6 years. Brought on and developed
some good players going on to better things , e.g Carl Roberts, now at
Birmingham City. Almost made they play offs on a couple of occasions.
Wish him well for his future endeavours.:not worth

Drummond St.

P.S. will be at Kilmarnock on 24th via overnight bus from Birmingham
from Leamington Spa.

Winston Ingram
12-02-2018, 09:14 PM
Ok👍

NAE NOOKIE
13-02-2018, 02:14 AM
Martin McIntosh has parted company as manager of Buxton in
the Northern Premier League after 6 years. Brought on and developed
some good players going on to better things , e.g Carl Roberts, now at
Birmingham City. Almost made they play offs on a couple of occasions.
Wish him well for his future endeavours.:not worth

Drummond St.

P.S. will be at Kilmarnock on 24th via overnight bus from Birmingham
from Leamington Spa.

Eh?

Viva_Palmeiras
13-02-2018, 03:46 AM
Eh?

The ex Hibs players that time forgot...

NAE NOOKIE
13-02-2018, 04:17 AM
The ex Hibs players that time forgot...

Oh :greengrin

Cabbage East
13-02-2018, 04:21 AM
He was a good player for us if I remember correctly.

Slicer
13-02-2018, 04:27 AM
Backup to Smith, Sauzee, Fenwick.

Did a job when called upon.

LustForLeith
13-02-2018, 06:23 AM
He was really good in Football Manager

Peevemor
13-02-2018, 06:27 AM
Did we not pay something like £250k for him? For that amount he should have been alright.

bigwheel
13-02-2018, 07:11 AM
Did we not pay something like £250k for him? For that amount he should have been alright.

Think it was nearer 300k. I believe he was decent actually - but he was suspended for first couple of matches and Fenwick (iirc) came in and played really well , kept his place and limited McIntosh’s game time ...he ended up moving on

McD
13-02-2018, 08:13 AM
Think it was nearer 300k. I believe he was decent actually - but he was suspended for first couple of matches and Fenwick (iirc) came in and played really well , kept his place and limited McIntosh’s game time ...he ended up moving on

:agree:

Was sent off against Hearts in the final game of the season, thus suspended at the start of the next. That’s the season we switched to 3 at the back with Sauzee, Paul fenwick came in and played well, mcintosh never really regained his first choice status again

overdrive
13-02-2018, 08:17 AM
:agree:

Was sent off against Hearts in the final game of the season, thus suspended at the start of the next. That’s the season we switched to 3 at the back with Sauzee, Paul fenwick came in and played well, mcintosh never really regained his first choice status again

It was Gary Smith that came in. Fenwick was signed to play at right centre half alongside McIntosh. Smith was signed on a short term deal when McIntosh was unavailable with Fenwick moving to the left centre back position. Smith then never lost his place and was signed on a longer deal.

JimBHibees
13-02-2018, 08:41 AM
Vaguely remember him having a bit of a stinker when we lost to Aberdeen in the Scottish semi when Dow scored the winner. Saying that MacLeish had a bit of a shocker gambling with Derek Collins at right back a week after pulling his hamstring and only allowed 3 subs.

overdrive
13-02-2018, 09:08 AM
Vaguely remember him having a bit of a stinker when we lost to Aberdeen in the Scottish semi when Dow scored the winner. Saying that MacLeish had a bit of a shocker gambling with Derek Collins at right back a week after pulling his hamstring and only allowed 3 subs.

That was the beginning of the end for Collins. McLeish was raging at him for insisting he was fit when he clearly wasn’t.

calumhibee1
13-02-2018, 09:47 AM
It was Gary Smith that came in. Fenwick was signed to play at right centre half alongside McIntosh. Smith was signed on a short term deal when McIntosh was unavailable with Fenwick moving to the left centre back position. Smith then never lost his place and was signed on a longer deal.

Gary Smith was a very decent player. Didn’t actually realise how long he was here, I thought he left at some point under Bobby W but he was here until the end of Moggas second season (05/06).

overdrive
13-02-2018, 09:57 AM
Gary Smith was a very decent player. Didn’t actually realise how long he was here, I thought he left at some point under Bobby W but he was here until the end of Moggas second season (05/06).

He's quite often at ER. Him and his son have sat next to us a few times (though not for a few years mind you).

al1875
13-02-2018, 10:38 AM
That was the beginning of the end for Collins. McLeish was raging at him for insisting he was fit when he clearly wasn’t.

I would never have remembered that off my own bat, but I remember it now that you mention it!!!

JimBHibees
13-02-2018, 11:12 AM

Given the hamstring injury was only a week previous I think the manager needs to bear some responsibility. No doubt the player thought he was fit sometimes that decision should be taken out his hands especially when only 3 subs allowed.

Pretty Boy
13-02-2018, 12:10 PM
He's quite often at ER. Him and his son have sat next to us a few times (though not for a few years mind you).

I think he's 1st team coach at Spartans these days.

ian cruise
13-02-2018, 12:17 PM

Used to use the gym and drink in the bar at the hotel I worked in at the time. He was a really nice guy. Good defender too.

ancient hibee
13-02-2018, 12:24 PM
McIntosh was a terrible waste of money,doubt if he played a couple of dozen games.An example of the gross overspending in those days

Craig_HFC
13-02-2018, 12:27 PM
I think he's 1st team coach at Spartans these days.

Did he not become a fireman once he'd retired from football?

Not saying he's not coaching at Spartans as well but I'm sure I remember reading that he'd become a fireman.

ian omand
13-02-2018, 12:30 PM
Did he not become a fireman once he'd retired from football?

Not saying he's not coaching at Spartans as well but I'm sure I remember reading that he'd become a fireman.

Yes he is.

McD
13-02-2018, 12:39 PM

Ah yes, thank you for this :aok:

Gary was a player I had loads of time for, solid honest pro, underrated

Peevemor
13-02-2018, 12:48 PM
Ah yes, thank you for this :aok:

Gary was a player I had loads of time for, solid honest pro, underrated

Inderrated? I always thought he was well appreciated by the Hibs support.

McD
13-02-2018, 07:02 PM
Inderrated? I always thought he was well appreciated by the Hibs support.

Yeah he is and was, was more meaning when we're all waxing lyrical, it’s usually Sauzee, Latapy that we tend to mention, whilst Smith et al are usually not mentioned as much. Also, I think there was probably not much excitement when he came in, but he won us all over as you’ve said.

WoreTheGreen
13-02-2018, 07:10 PM
Yes he is.

I told you drive past some mornings he cycles to work

HibbyAndy
13-02-2018, 07:46 PM
Pretty sure he made his debut in a 2-1 win v celtic at Easter rd 1998ish IIRC he score as well with a heider but ruled out through shoving.

Smartie
13-02-2018, 09:06 PM
McIntosh was a terrible waste of money,doubt if he played a couple of dozen games.An example of the gross overspending in those days

That's a wee bit harsh.

He was a fairly high profile signing and he disappointed - no doubt about that.

But he struggled to dislodge 2 budget signings - Fenwick and Smith - who were both brilliant for us. They didn't deserve to be dropped so McIntosh didn't really get an opportunity.

Who knows how he might have played in that strong team?

We got a pretty good return from these 3 players for how much we spent, so I wouldn't look upon McIntosh's signing as having been all that wasteful.

ancient hibee
13-02-2018, 09:23 PM
I’m not being harsh about McIntosh but of the people that through away money in signing him when there was basically no need.

Smartie
13-02-2018, 09:40 PM
I’m not being harsh about McIntosh but of the people that through away money in signing him when there was basically no need.

Was there no need though?

I'm sure he was signed before the other players.

Of the team that played the season after we were promoted, Yogi was heading off and Shaun Dennis had drifted away. McIntosh was a fairly high-profile signing to address a problem position for us.

He was bit unlucky in that he was suspended, McLeish tinkered with the team and we ended up with a really solid back 3 of Fenwick, Sauzee and Smith. They played well together and restricted McIntosh's first team chances - he had to leave to get football. IIRC Hartley and possibly Brebner had to do likewise.

There was some silly money chucked around at that time though, and some crazy contracts had to be endured that were signed during that period.

Viva_Palmeiras
13-02-2018, 10:18 PM

Certainly a Hibee sat through that game against the Yams - saw him and kid after the game. Smashing player in his day.

Peevemor
13-02-2018, 10:24 PM
Certainly a Hibee sat through that game against the Yams - saw him and kid after the game. Smashing player in his day.I remember a match at Ibrox when some hun player grabbed Smith by the throat. He didn't react at all except to stand his ground and stare the guy down. A cool head makes a huge difference in these situations.

Jim44
13-02-2018, 10:24 PM
Backup to Smith, Sauzee, Fenwick.

Did a job when called upon.

I always rated Fenwick. My friend Google tells me he is presently a physio with the Canadian International team.

Baader
14-02-2018, 10:51 AM
McIntosh was unfortunate as he was highly rated, cost a bit and then was suspended and injured so never took off.

Gary Smith was a great servant to Hibs. And played more games under Mowbray than I realised as well. Was solid and a very good defender. Great signing by McLeish.

Pete
14-02-2018, 10:57 AM
Even after googling him I can’t remember who he was. :-(