PDA

View Full Version : Tony Watt

Hibeesmad
12-02-2018, 06:31 PM
On his way back to Scotland. Played and scored that goal against Barcelona under Neil Lennon. Chances on him coming here?

hibs#1
12-02-2018, 06:31 PM
Very slim I'd say.

Billy Whizz
12-02-2018, 06:32 PM
On his way back to Scotland. Played and scored that goal against Barcelona under Neil Lennon. Chances on him coming here?

It’s on another thread, but does he not bring baggage similar to Stokes?

Franck Stanton
12-02-2018, 06:33 PM
Could be the Jambo's - reported recently they were in talks with two out of contract strikers

Humo
12-02-2018, 06:35 PM
Thought the reason he left Celtic was because him and Lennon didn't get on that well?

Things may have changed but I can't see him coming here. No inside knowledge or anything.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

greenlex
12-02-2018, 06:40 PM
Been at Hearts and failed. It’ll be Dundee or Ross County I reckon.

Heisenberg
12-02-2018, 06:59 PM
Can be sign for someone else just now if he’s been released outwith the transfer window?

Jones28
12-02-2018, 07:10 PM
Please no

Treadstone
12-02-2018, 07:25 PM
Not good enough.

SirDavidsNapper
12-02-2018, 07:25 PM
Literally the only thing of note he's done is that goal against Barca. Mark Burchill with a glory goal

EastCalderHibby
12-02-2018, 07:34 PM
Could be the Jambo's - reported recently they were in talks with two out of contract strikers

allways room for another T WATT IN GORE GAY :greengrin

Michael
12-02-2018, 08:56 PM
Scottish League 1 / Championship level player IMO.

Callum_62
12-02-2018, 09:06 PM
did he say he was too good for the SPL?

:greengrin

eastmainsmsh
12-02-2018, 09:42 PM
no doubt he is decent but lacks self discipline

Swedish hibee
12-02-2018, 09:44 PM
No!

CallumLaidlaw
12-02-2018, 09:47 PM
Only released today so can’t play for another club in Britain until the summer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Leith Dutch
12-02-2018, 10:27 PM
Probably some Yam at the windup but Watt's current Wikipedia page says "He has recently signed a deal with Scottish club Hibs, where he rejoins former manager Neil lennon."

Roxyhibee
12-02-2018, 11:05 PM
Probably some Yam at the windup but Watt's current Wikipedia page says "He has recently signed a deal with Scottish club Hibs, where he rejoins former manager Neil lennon."

Wiki has just been changed and is currently showing “Watt has just signed for Scottish Hoofball club Hearts for a second spell”.. 😂

Perd Hapley
13-02-2018, 12:37 AM
Would take him. Did pretty well for me back on Fifa 13. Then again if I remember correctly I mostly just signed him because the back of his shirt inexplicably read 'T. Watt'

In hindsight I may have edited that in. I forget.

hfc rd
13-02-2018, 01:44 AM
Would take him. Did pretty well for me back on Fifa 13. Then again if I remember correctly I mostly just signed him because the back of his shirt inexplicably read 'T. Watt'

In hindsight I may have edited that in. I forget.

You’d take him because he done well on a computer game for you? 😐

TelaStella
13-02-2018, 01:57 AM
Naa no thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dashing Bob S
13-02-2018, 02:32 AM
Fancy him to return to Airdrie.

SirDavidsNapper
13-02-2018, 06:17 AM

A 5 year old computer game 🤔

Ryan69
13-02-2018, 06:29 AM
Certainly hope not.

If it wasnt for that goal against Barca.....He would of been stacking shelves in Tescos years ago.

The Leith Dutch
13-02-2018, 07:00 AM
Certainly hope not.

If it wasnt for that goal against Barca.....He would of been stacking shelves in Tescos years ago.

TBF he also had a purple patch on loan to Lierse around the same time.
That Barca goal plus the Lierse loan as a return of 11 goals in 17 matches and was 5 or 6 years ago.
The rest of his career contains a markedly less impressive 30 goals in 179 matches.

One Day
13-02-2018, 08:16 AM
No thanks. If he was ever good enough it was years ago

mcfly
13-02-2018, 10:22 AM
Squad number at last club was 32.

Can’t be that bad a guy 😂😂

Souter96Mac
13-02-2018, 11:58 AM
Don't think he'd be a good signing. Maybe as 4th choice on a low wage

jacomo
13-02-2018, 12:08 PM
Please god no.

Not In The Know
13-02-2018, 12:11 PM
If he was to come in and hinder the development of Oil Shaw by keeping him out the team it would be a disgrace.

WeeRussell
13-02-2018, 12:39 PM
A probably no from me. Boy can play a bit I reckon and playing for Hearts was never going to suit (although I recall him missing at least one sitter there).

Didn't he leave and announce something along the lines of him being too good for Scottish leagues anyway? Happy for things to stay that way.

WestStandWillie
13-02-2018, 12:44 PM
Na

Sir David Gray
13-02-2018, 12:52 PM
It's strange if he's only just been released today as it means he can't sign a contract with any British team until next season.

If he wasn't going to play, you would think his contract could have been terminated before the end of the January window.

Billychaotic182
13-02-2018, 01:00 PM
He’s a clever player and quite similar to stokes in the sense that he drops deep and likes to create his own chances. I wouldn’t be against signing him but as other have said I wouldn’t want to sign him if it meant Oli Shaw is pushed back. Just because he played for hearts wouldn’t put me off him signing for us.

EdinMike
13-02-2018, 02:02 PM
https://stv.tv/sport/football/1380234-tony-watt-i-don-t-want-to-come-back-to-scottish-football/

This “fandan” No thanks.

Deansy
13-02-2018, 02:04 PM
https://stv.tv/sport/football/1380234-tony-watt-i-don-t-want-to-come-back-to-scottish-football/

This “fandan” No thanks.

Seconded !

Callyballybe
13-02-2018, 02:16 PM
Seconded !

Thirded!

SaulGoodman
13-02-2018, 02:33 PM
Thirded!

Fourthded!

HoboHarry
13-02-2018, 02:33 PM

This “fandan” No thanks.
Personally I think he is only really saying out loud what a good number of players think anyway. No real problem with it myself.....

jacomo
13-02-2018, 06:12 PM
Personally I think he is only really saying out loud what a good number of players think anyway. No real problem with it myself.....

Yeah but there’s a reason other players don’t say it out loud.

He will lucky to be earning any money from football in five years time. Hope the money is good enough for him then...

Big L
13-02-2018, 06:30 PM
It's strange if he's only just been released today as it means he can't sign a contract with any British team until next season.

If he wasn't going to play, you would think his contract could have been terminated before the end of the January window.

He's a FREE AGENT!

Sir David Gray
13-02-2018, 06:59 PM
He's a FREE AGENT!

If he wasn't a FREE AGENT when the window closed then he can't move to a club whose window is closed now until the summer.

He is only able to sign for a British team before the summer if he became a FREE AGENT before the window closed.

SirDavidsNapper
13-02-2018, 07:06 PM

This “fandan” No thanks.

Staggering he can come out with crap like that when a goal agsinst Barca is the only thing he's done. Scottish Championship level.

Perd Hapley
13-02-2018, 07:07 PM

Wasn't being completely serious lol. In reality he's an undoubted talent who has hitherto undoubtedly blown it. I wouldn't take him over what we have - especially if, as someone else posted, it would mean hindering Shaw's development.

On the other hand I think we're still a little light up front and, Kamberi and Maclaren being the relatively unknown quantities they are, a bit more depth in the squad wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. And if anyone's capable of bringing out the potential in the boy then it's probably Lennon. If Neil reckons he's worth a shot then I'm willing to trust his judgement.

Given the transfer rules though it looks like this is all academic anyway.

JimBHibees
13-02-2018, 09:59 PM
Don't see a big deal in what he said. We probably need another striker and he has talent so wouldn't have an issue with it.

DavidDavidGray
13-02-2018, 10:00 PM
Massive no. Nowhere near talented enough or have a good attitude. Living off that Barcelona goal.

matty_f
13-02-2018, 10:17 PM
Massive no. Nowhere near talented enough or have a good attitude. Living off that Barcelona goal.

:agree: would rather we avoided him.

Big L
14-02-2018, 12:44 AM
If he wasn't a FREE AGENT when the window closed then he can't move to a club whose window is closed now until the summer.

He is only able to sign for a British team before the summer if he became a FREE AGENT before the window closed.

He can't be transferred after the window closes, if he is a free agent he can sign at any time.

The_Horde
14-02-2018, 12:57 AM
He can't be transferred after the window closes, if he is a free agent he can sign at any time.

Yes but he can't be registered as his registration was released after the close of our window so we'd be paying a player who won't actually be eligible til next season.

overdrive
14-02-2018, 07:38 AM

Some Hibs examples on this. Jonatan Johansson became a free agent around the October/November (in line with the summer football season of the league he was playing in). He signed for us soon after but couldn’t play for us until 1st January.

Derek Riordan’s contract unusually finished in the autumn (because his contract was signed before transfer windows existed). He signed a pre-contract with Celtic to take effect in the January. He was going to be in limbo between October and January as he couldn’t play. Celtic could not sign him immediately after his contract expired as they would not be allowed to play him in those intervening months as he was not a free agent at the end of the window. Hence why Celtic ended up doing the cut price deal in the summer.

Big L
14-02-2018, 09:34 AM
Some Hibs examples on this. Jonatan Johansson became a free agent around the October/November (in line with the summer football season of the league he was playing in). He signed for us soon after but couldn’t play for us until 1st January.

Derek Riordan’s contract unusually finished in the autumn (because his contract was signed before transfer windows existed). He signed a pre-contract with Celtic to take effect in the January. He was going to be in limbo between October and January as he couldn’t play. Celtic could not sign him immediately after his contract expired as they would not be allowed to play him in those intervening months as he was not a free agent at the end of the window. Hence why Celtic ended up doing the cut price deal in the summer.

Are yout saying that players can only sign and play for a club if they sign for that club within a transfer window, and that any player who does not have a club/contract when a transfer window closes can sign for a club, but can't play for that club until the next transfer window? If that's what your saying, then I have to disagree with you. Surely that would be viewed as restriction of trade. In my opinion Tony Watt, being a free agent will be able to sign and play for any club that wants to sign him.

Thecat23
14-02-2018, 09:36 AM
Are yout saying that players can only sign and play for a club if they sign for that club within a transfer window, and that any player who does not have a club/contract when a transfer window closes can sign for a club, but can't play for that club until the next transfer window? If that's what your saying, then I have to disagree with you. Surely that would be viewed as restriction of trade. In my opinion Tony Watt, being a free agent will be able to sign and play for any club that wants to sign him.

Isn’t it if a player is binned after the transfer window he can’t then play until next season here in Scotland. He could go to say Sweden who I think are just about to start. I could be wrong but sure I read this somewhere!

McSwanky
14-02-2018, 09:38 AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transfer_window

"Free agents can be signed by a club at any time during the season, if they had been released by their previous club before the end of the transfer window."

Thecat23
14-02-2018, 09:42 AM

"Free agents can be signed by a club at any time during the season, if they had been released by their previous club before the end of the transfer window."

Knew I read it somewhere 👍🏼

Phil MaGlass
14-02-2018, 09:42 AM
A probably no from me. Boy can play a bit I reckon and playing for Hearts was never going to suit (although I recall him missing at least one sitter there).

Didn't he leave and announce something along the lines of him being too good for Scottish leagues anyway? Happy for things to stay that way.

Theres no many players that go to Tiny Tynie and play well. It is normally after they leave they play well, hertz kind of hoofba isnt good for their styles of play. Take a look at Johnsen they let go last season. Now on 9 goals in Holland.

SaulGoodman
14-02-2018, 09:58 AM
That's your opinion but that's not how it works.

Big L
14-02-2018, 10:00 AM

So, if the player was a free agent before the window opened, and was still a free agent when that window closed, he couldn't play for a club until the next window opened, furthermore, if a player and a club mutually agree to terminate the players contract outwith a transfer window, that, that player will not be able to play for another club until the next transfer window opens? If that's what's being said then again, I have to disagree.

GreenCastle
14-02-2018, 10:05 AM
He’s a nightmare and has a stinking attitude.

Keep well away from

Monts
14-02-2018, 10:12 AM
So, if the player was a free agent before the window opened, and was still a free agent when that window closed, he couldn't play for a club until the next window opened, furthermore, if a player and a club mutually agree to terminate the players contract outwith a transfer window, that, that player will not be able to play for another club until the next transfer window opens? If that's what's being said then again, I have to disagree.
It is the reason you see players released on the last day of the window.

If a player is not registered with a club at the close of the transfer window, they can register with a club out with the transfer window.

If a player is registered with a club at the close of the transfer window, and released after this, they cannot be registered with a second club during the"inter-window".

Thecat23
14-02-2018, 10:17 AM

If a player is not registered with a club at the close of the transfer window, they can register with a club out with the transfer window.

If a player is registered with a club at the close of the transfer window, and released after this, they cannot be registered with a second club during the"inter-window".

Exactly. It’s pretty straight forward!

Allant1981
14-02-2018, 10:19 AM

doesnt matter how many times you disagree, thats how it works, a player can be signed anytime a club wants but cant be registered until the next transfer window

My_Wife_Camille
14-02-2018, 10:26 AM
Disagree all you want, yer wrong on both counts:cb

Big L
14-02-2018, 10:39 AM

Doesn't make sense to me, it prevents a person working and that can't be right!

NAE NOOKIE
14-02-2018, 10:43 AM

I feel a Bosman coming on :greengrin

Green_one
14-02-2018, 10:48 AM
So .........

* He was poor with Hearts
* He got dumped by his present club
* He has a known attitude problem
* He says clearly he does not want to play in Scotland and his style does not fit our football
* He is not available to play until the next window

WHERE DO WE SIGN? - Sounds ideal!!! :confused::rolleyes:

Peevemor
14-02-2018, 10:49 AM

It is right, because generally players & clubs break contracts by mutual agreement. If a player doesn't have another club to go to then he will ordinarily be paid, at least in part, for the remainder of his contract. For example, this could be the equivalent of his basic wage (or a good percentage of it), without bonus or appearance money.

Sir David Gray
14-02-2018, 10:50 AM

Check my earlier reply to you. That pretty much clarifies everything you need to know.

Why do you think Stokes and Matulevicius were released before February 1st? It certainly wasn't for our benefit.

McSwanky
14-02-2018, 10:53 AM

They would be able to negotiate their release with their club though, so you would hope that the fact that they aren't able to find a club until the Summer would result in either:

1. Their club keeping them on until the Summer, or
2. Their negotiated payoff being higher due to the fact that they can't be paid by another team until the Summer

I seem to remember some players being able to get around this rule by registering with a new club as an amateur a few years back, I imagine those players' expenses may be quite substantial...

Allant1981
14-02-2018, 11:31 AM

no it prevents them from playing, the club can sign them but not play them

Diclonius
14-02-2018, 11:33 AM
So .........

* He was poor with Hearts
* He got dumped by his present club
* He has a known attitude problem
* He says clearly he does not want to play in Scotland and his style does not fit our football
* He is not available to play until the next window

WHERE DO WE SIGN? - Sounds ideal!!! :confused::rolleyes:

We'd be replacing Anthony Stokes with... Anthony Stokes, but ****.

overdrive
14-02-2018, 01:28 PM

No, I'm saying if you want to play for a different club outwith the transfer window you need to be a free agent at the point the previous window closed (meaning the window of the country of the club you are signing for). There's a few exceptions, e.g. emergency loans.

This is why clubs release loads of players in the final days of the January window as there would be no incentive for the player to go after that point if he wants to play.

Big L
14-02-2018, 01:38 PM
No, I'm saying if you want to play for a different club outwith the transfer window you need to be a free agent at the point the previous window closed (meaning the window of the country of the club you are signing for). There's a few exceptions, e.g. emergency loans.

This is why clubs release loads of players in the final days of the January window as there would be no incentive for the player to go after that point if he wants to play.

I consider myself well and truly told!

overdrive
14-02-2018, 01:40 PM
no it prevents them from playing, the club can sign them but not play them

That's the case but in reality very few clubs would actually sign a player in that scenario. They would generally sign them on a pre-contract, similar to what we did with Johansson and Celtic were going to do with Riordan.

As someone else said in this thread, it wouldn't surprise me if this was the next Bosman / Andy Webster style test case. I'm not sure the player would win though as the contract is usually broken mutually. It would have to be a scenario where a player was effectively sacked outwith of the window, e.g. if the Portugal incident had happened in February and we then sacked Stokes.

SaulGoodman
14-02-2018, 01:40 PM
I consider myself well and truly told!

I disagree

Big L
14-02-2018, 01:58 PM
I disagree

Kick a man when's down eh, git!

SaulGoodman
14-02-2018, 02:07 PM
Kick a man when's down eh, git!

:wink:

Michael
14-02-2018, 02:10 PM
That's the case but in reality very few clubs would actually sign a player in that scenario. They would generally sign them on a pre-contract, similar to what we did with Johansson and Celtic were going to do with Riordan.

As someone else said in this thread, it wouldn't surprise me if this was the next Bosman / Andy Webster style test case. I'm not sure the player would win though as the contract is usually broken mutually. It would have to be a scenario where a player was effectively sacked outwith of the window, e.g. if the Portugal incident had happened in February and we then sacked Stokes.

If it was allowed though then you'd effectively have no transfer windows (or one ongoing one).

overdrive
14-02-2018, 09:21 PM
If it was allowed though then you'd effectively have no transfer windows (or one ongoing one).

True but I don’t think the courts would be too bothered about that.