PDA

View Full Version : Gordon 'Geebsie' Hunter Q and A

GORDONSMITH7
08-02-2018, 09:41 PM
Gordon ‘Geebsie’ Hunter played more than 400 games for Hibs over a thirteen year period, helped win the Skol League Cup and appeared in two other finals.
Gordon will be doing a Q and A at St. Patrick's Branch meeting on Thursday 15th February. If any .netter has a question that they would like to ask him I will do so.

http://www.stpats.club/category/news/

GGTTH

BIG G

Pretty Boy
08-02-2018, 10:07 PM
Was the last 28 minutes of a certain game in 1994 as long for him as it was for me?

majorhibs
08-02-2018, 10:15 PM
Was the last 28 minutes of a certain game in 1994 as long for him as it was for me?

Photo of Geebsie jumpin in the air in front o Hibs end in green & purple striped top as fans went mental was immense! Can I get a signed copy?

vuefrom1875
08-02-2018, 10:34 PM
Photo of Geebsie jumpin in the air in front o Hibs end in green & purple striped top as fans went mental was immense! Can I get a signed copy?

Truly a magical moment, was behind the goals wi ma wee brother! Apparently in the tynecasle arms after the game which was heavin with hertz fans..........

the phone rings and the lassie behind the bar answered, not being football oriented.... Shouts the top of her voice..... "IS THERE A GORDON HUNTER IN THE BAR"..... Another magical moment 😀

brianmc
08-02-2018, 10:50 PM

He wisnae in a green and purple strip.
Just the standard green and white.

GORDONSMITH7
08-02-2018, 11:18 PM
Truly a magical moment, was behind the goals wi ma wee brother! Apparently in the tynecasle arms after the game which was heavin with hertz fans..........

the phone rings and the lassie behind the bar answered, not being football oriented.... Shouts the top of her voice..... "IS THERE A GORDON HUNTER IN THE BAR"..... Another magical moment 😀
Will mention that mate. Keep them coming folks.

BIG G

Thecat23
08-02-2018, 11:24 PM

Hibs played in green & white the day he scored!

HoboHarry
08-02-2018, 11:34 PM
Will he marry my daughter?

Forza Fred
09-02-2018, 01:08 AM
Did he enjoy his time at Canberra Cosmos.....and does he still remember me!?

Viva_Palmeiras
09-02-2018, 03:02 AM
Will we get to hear or read the responses G? 1 or 2 of the nights that was not the case.

Niffy
09-02-2018, 09:01 AM

SirDavidsNapper
09-02-2018, 09:08 AM
Very underrated player. Would have won a few caps if he played in Glasgow

JimBHibees
09-02-2018, 09:34 AM
How much did he enjoy playing right back? :greengrin

Smartie
09-02-2018, 09:42 AM

He's one of my all-time favourite players. He was unlucky to be around when he was.

There was a good article the other day by Craig Paterson, who was talking about the players who were ahead of him in the pecking order for a Scotland cap when he played - the same could be said for Geebsie. Miller, McLeish, Hansen, Hegarty, Gough, Narey, Gillespie - we weren't exactly short of top centre-backs.

Gary Caldwell on the other hand has 55 caps.

I always thought we looked a different team when Hunter played. When he was fit he held the whole defensive structure (quite important under Alex Miller) together, when he was missing (which happened from time to time as he had a few injuries/ suspensions) we looked significantly weaker.

JimBHibees
09-02-2018, 09:58 AM

Good player personally didnt think he was anywhere near good enough for a cap though.

Brightside
09-02-2018, 10:12 AM
Does he still take well fired rolls and the Sunday Mail.

Viva_Palmeiras
09-02-2018, 12:42 PM
Does he still take well fired rolls and the Sunday Mail.

Esso garage Cannonmills? Or what was Taylors

Brightside
09-02-2018, 12:45 PM
Esso garage Cannonmills? Or what was Taylors

No i used to deliver his sunday rolls and papers when i was a boy and he still lived in Wallyford.

superfurryhibby
09-02-2018, 01:54 PM
Good player personally didnt think he was anywhere near good enough for a cap though.

Agree. Gordon was competitive ( to say the least) and always commited, but there was no way he had the skill on the ball to play internationally. He was up against some fine players, like McLeish, Gough, McLaren, the Giraffe necked one, Hendry, etc. Also, he wasn't the tallest, it probably helps being 6ft plus when playing centre half internationally ( unless you were particularly gifted).

Keith_M
09-02-2018, 02:01 PM
I've got two questions:

Why were your parents so stingy with handing out sweets when we all went guising in Inchview as kids?

Any idea where Andy Bryson is these days? Not seen him since school.

Cheers, Keith.

Treadstone
09-02-2018, 02:01 PM
Absolutely outstanding against the huns in the skol cup semi 1991.

Peevemor
09-02-2018, 02:10 PM
Absolutely outstanding against the huns in the skol cup semi 1991.

:agree: Him & Tam - what a performance!

erin go bragh
09-02-2018, 03:15 PM
Could you ask him to pick a five a side team from his time playing with Hibs .

Hibrandenburg
09-02-2018, 04:20 PM
Can he remember me nutmegging him after a stepover during a friendly between Wallyford and the Wimpeys in the early 80's?

Tell him to send my regards to his big sister Jeananne.

Regards

Paul U.

Hibrandenburg
09-02-2018, 04:20 PM
I've got two questions:

Why were your parents so stingy with handing out sweets when we all went guising in Inchview as kids?

Any idea where Andy Bryson is these days? Not seen him since school.

Cheers, Keith.

:greengrin

majorhibs
09-02-2018, 07:08 PM
Hibs played in green & white the day he scored!

Striped sleeves then? Stripes in my recollection for some reason.

Niffy
09-02-2018, 08:17 PM

I’ve pit photaes up already !

GORDONSMITH7
09-02-2018, 08:28 PM
Will we get to hear or read the responses G? 1 or 2 of the nights that was not the case.
Will do Viva. All questions from here and the Bounce are asked. Last two Q and A's were slightly different from past ones. No videos agreed, etc with Hibs as it was existing employees of theirs. Fair do's.

GGTTH

BIG G

GORDONSMITH7
09-02-2018, 08:35 PM
Can he remember me nutmegging him after a stepover during a friendly between Wallyford and the Wimpeys in the early 80's?

Tell him to send my regards to his big sister Jeananne.

Regards

Paul U.

I stayed in the Wimpey's then. Delta Drive. Used to love the Sunday 40 a sides in the top park which lasted for hours.

GGTTH

BIG G

Viva_Palmeiras
10-02-2018, 01:19 AM
What did Alex Miller first say to you after busting the jinx?

Who did you most enjoy having and aerial joust against?

Skol cup Semi against that Rangers team the on to Dunfermline - were you and the players nervous. Iirc that stands were a little tense until we scored could the players sense that?

Viva_Palmeiras
10-02-2018, 01:21 AM
Will do Viva. All questions from here and the Bounce are asked. Last two Q and A's were slightly different from past ones. No videos agreed, etc with Hibs as it was existing employees of theirs. Fair do's.

GGTTH

BIG G

Thx G. Figured as much with Danny & co.

Viva_Palmeiras
10-02-2018, 06:38 AM
Hibs’ Strongest defensive line up?
Hibs’ Best defensive performance you’ve participated in - Skol cup semi v Rangers?

Different periods but What was it like having Budgie and Achiegoal in the team?

How did the team keep it together during the dark days of the Mercer bid?

bod
10-02-2018, 07:36 PM
what's the funniest thing you heard from the terracing shouted at you ?
& an opposing player that made you laugh

Thecat23
10-02-2018, 07:44 PM

It was indeed the green striped sleeves. I remember a few fans on the park at the end. Was the day they opened their new stand.

bod
10-02-2018, 07:51 PM
it was indeed the green striped sleeves. I remember a few fans on the park at the end. Was the day they opened their new stand.

another new stand ! !

Fritz
10-02-2018, 09:43 PM
Back in 1994 I was doing my school work experience placement week at my dad's pal's architect firm on Albion Road.

On the Friday morning I was sent along the road to the Albion Road cafe for bacon rolls. Making my way along the street I was suddenly confronted by the entire Hibs first team squad running towards me. They'd been out for their daily run round Arthur's Seat. As a young Hibs fan I was starstruck seeing my idols running past, literally within touching distance!

I reached the cafe at the same time as the last of the players: the captain, Geebsie. As I watched he deliberately slowed down and as the rest of the squad disappeared into the distance he nipped into the cafe. I followed him in and saw him order 2 sausage rolls which he promptly scoffed down there and then! "Not great preparation for a game", I thought.

He went out the next day and scored the winner in the derby to break the hoodoo!

JIm
11-02-2018, 12:14 AM
Geebsie. Can you show us a magic trick?

Sammy7nil
11-02-2018, 01:06 PM

I agree he was unlucky with the quality Scotland had at the time. He was also a decent right back running down the wing elbows flying everywhere. I thought he was great Hibs player never less than 100% committed. If others in the team had the same steel as him our Derby record would be far better.