PDA

View Full Version : NHC Steven Caulker

Iceman1875
08-02-2018, 06:48 PM
What a signing by Dundee.

The top league in Scotland has attracted some good players in the last 12 months, long may it continue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stuart93
08-02-2018, 06:50 PM
What a signing by Dundee.

The top league is Scotland has attracted some good players in the last 12 months, long may it continue.

Doesn't come without baggage but a fantastic signing, would probably start in any Scottish teams starting 11 probably including Celtic.

MWHIBBIES
08-02-2018, 06:53 PM
Looking forward to calls of ''we should have signed him'' next time one of our defenders make a mistake.

Interesting signing is what I would say, hope it works out for him as he's had a tough time.

nairn hibee
08-02-2018, 06:57 PM
If it does work out for him,I suppose he will be with the Rangers next season ,press will see to that

Lago
08-02-2018, 07:13 PM
Who is he, who has he played for?

WoreTheGreen
08-02-2018, 07:15 PM
Is he just filling in

hibsbollah
08-02-2018, 07:21 PM
Who is he, who has he played for?

Spurs, Swansea, has a full England cap and scored vs Sweden. £8million player a few years ago. Ridiculous pedigree really.

Iceman1875
08-02-2018, 07:25 PM
Spurs, Swansea, has a full England cap and scored vs Sweden. £8million player a few years ago. Ridiculous pedigree really.

Agreed, Southampton and Liverpool too.

Time For Heroes
08-02-2018, 07:28 PM
18month contract too. Unbelievable bit of business

hibbyfraelibby
08-02-2018, 07:32 PM
...but will he implode?

.Sean.
08-02-2018, 07:34 PM
Signings like this can only improve the image of our game.

No disrespect to Dundee but I wonder why he signed for them, surely had offers in the Championship.

Scouse Hibee
08-02-2018, 07:38 PM
When he was on loan at Liverpool he was brought on 3 times as a sub if I recall and played up front each time.

Allant1981
08-02-2018, 07:52 PM
apparently not on very good money either, just wanted to be playing football, cant imagine he will need the money just now, have a good year up here and back down to england for good cash, win win for both both

frazeHFC
08-02-2018, 07:54 PM
Was reading he's had a tough time with mental health, gambling and drink. Hopefully sorted himself out, could be a great piece of business by Dundee.

Dashing Bob S
08-02-2018, 08:01 PM
Worth a punt. If it doesn't work out he could waterproof the showers.

GordonHFC
08-02-2018, 08:21 PM
Is he just filling in

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Is It On....
08-02-2018, 08:33 PM
Was reading he's had a tough time with mental health, gambling and drink. Hopefully sorted himself out, could be a great piece of business by Dundee.

Wouldn't have thought that you would choose to recover from drink and mental health issues in Dundee?

Sir David Gray
08-02-2018, 08:37 PM
Potentially an outstanding piece of business, only 26 as well so he should be at the peak of his career.

Seems to have gone through a hard time so good luck to the guy.

worcesterhibby
08-02-2018, 09:09 PM
Wouldn't have thought that you would choose to recover from drink and mental health issues in Dundee?

Actually made me laugh out loud ! :greengrin:greengrin:greengrin

Pretty Boy
08-02-2018, 09:18 PM
Didn't he play at the Olympics as well?

Really good signing for Dundee, a bit of a coup for them and the league as a whole.

Hi Heid Yin
08-02-2018, 09:25 PM
I wish the guy well, except when he plays us, but I can't help but feel that there is more to his signing for Dundee than meets the eye. Is he untouchable down south because of his off field issues?
The mind boggles otherwise how a multi million pound player ends up at Dens Park away from the spotlight and big money.

Souter96Mac
08-02-2018, 09:34 PM
I wish the guy well, except when he play us, but I can't help but feel that there is more to his signing for Dundee than meets the eye. Is he untouchable down south because of his off field issues?
The mind boggles otherwise how a multi million pound player ends up at Dens Park away from the spotlight and big money.
I know he might not potentially be a match winner but at least we won't be playing them until next season, unless they make top 6. But hope he helps take points of others around us.

Hi Heid Yin
08-02-2018, 09:50 PM
I know he might not potentially be a match winner but at least we won't be playing them until next season, unless they make top 6. But hope he helps take points of others around us.

I couldn't agree more:agree:

cam75
08-02-2018, 09:52 PM
Dundee have had world class players over the years cannigia,ravvinela all be it the end of there playing years but players we would have been happy to play for us.
Ggtth

08-02-2018, 09:54 PM

Really good signing for Dundee, a bit of a coup for them and the league as a whole.

Yes, he's got 5 caps for Great Britain.

hibeeron
08-02-2018, 10:13 PM
He was very poor when at Liverpool couldn't understand why he got the chance
Ordinary player

Scouse Hibee
08-02-2018, 10:17 PM
He was very poor when at Liverpool couldn't understand why he got the chance
Ordinary player

Not sure how you can say he was very poor at Liverpool? Pretty sure he made only 3 sub appearances and was thrown on up front in each of them.

Centre Hawf
08-02-2018, 10:20 PM
A very good signing for Dundee. A few rumours kicking around that Rodgers had a hand in him coming up here. Wouldn't be surprised to see him go to Celtic in the summer or at the end of his contract if he's in good form and gets his head right. Eligible for Scotland as well so if he gets back to a decent level I wonder if he could be persuaded?

GlesgaeHibby
08-02-2018, 10:28 PM
A very good signing for Dundee. A few rumours kicking around that Rodgers had a hand in him coming up here. Wouldn't be surprised to see him go to Celtic in the summer or at the end of his contract if he's in good form and gets his head right. Eligible for Scotland as well so if he gets back to a decent level I wonder if he could be persuaded?

Does being capped for England not rule him out?

Scouse Hibee
08-02-2018, 10:30 PM

He has already been capped by England.

Sir David Gray
08-02-2018, 10:33 PM
Does being capped for England not rule him out?

He has already been capped by England.

Only in a friendly though so he is still eligible to switch to another nation that he is eligible to represent through his ancestry.

lyonhibs
08-02-2018, 10:34 PM
If this works out, it's the best signing by a Scottish team in the past decade or so.

Eyemouth Hibby
08-02-2018, 10:40 PM
Actually made me laugh out loud ! :greengrin:greengrin:greengrin
Me as well

GreenNWhiteArmy
08-02-2018, 10:56 PM
Wasn't he linked with Celtic earlier in the window and in previous years? Seems like a phenomenal signing

Hi Heid Yin
09-02-2018, 12:20 AM
This article on Caulker gives a good insight into why he has ended up at Dundee:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jun/29/steven-caulker-mental-illness-addictions-gambling-drinking-qpr

monktonharp
09-02-2018, 01:03 AM

Really good signing for Dundee, a bit of a coup for them and the league as a whole.Dundee was always a bit o' a coup

monktonharp
09-02-2018, 01:12 AM
Dundee have had world class players over the years cannigia,ravvinela all be it the end of there playing years but players we would have been happy to play for us.
GgtthQuite correct, fairly good and class players but the'Dee also had Alan Gilzean, and by far the best , Gordon Smith. I must have been 6 or 7yr old when he was there but by all accounts he was better than the 3 together that I mention.

HoboHarry
09-02-2018, 01:38 AM
Why not? He'll blend right in.......

Hi Heid Yin
09-02-2018, 01:57 AM
Quite correct, fairly good and class players but the'Dee also had Alan Gilzean, and by far the best , Gordon Smith. I must have been 6 or 7yr old when he was there but by all accounts he was better than the 3 together that I mention.

Gosh, Alan Gilzean. That's a name and blast from the past. A wonderful player for Tottenham if my memory serves me well.

Beefster
09-02-2018, 06:59 AM
Wish the guy well. The only real downside is that it gives McCann another opportunity to big himself up in the media again. He hates telling us how amazing he considers himself.

Niffy
09-02-2018, 07:22 AM
The Dundee Stokes ?

SirDavidsNapper
09-02-2018, 09:17 AM
If this works out, it's the best signing by a Scottish team in the past decade or so.

I think people are getting a bit carried away with the standard of English football. I'm sure he'll do well up here but be surprised if he's player of the season material.

Phil MaGlass
09-02-2018, 10:05 AM
I think people are getting a bit carried away with the standard of English football. I'm sure he'll do well up here but be surprised if he's player of the season material.

the standard in England is miles ahead of anything we have up here, fitness levels and tactical awareness is phenomenal, luckily theres a massive influx of foreign players and when england are playing, the english players dont gel well.

Cabbage East
09-02-2018, 10:52 AM

Correct. Sky Sports have done a great job of that. So many average players and clubs down there that get talked up.

Michael
09-02-2018, 01:18 PM
the standard in England is miles ahead of anything we have up here, fitness levels and tactical awareness is phenomenal, luckily theres a massive influx of foreign players and when england are playing, the english players dont gel well.

Gary Caldwell made 100 EPL appearances and he looked very dodgy when he was with us. Obviously the standard is higher, but for the lower/mid table teams it's not miles apart.

bigwheel
09-02-2018, 01:43 PM
Gary Caldwell made 100 EPL appearances and he looked very dodgy when he was with us. Obviously the standard is higher, but for the lower/mid table teams it's not miles apart.

Feel that is harsh on Caldwell...he did have a few bomb scare moments I’ll Give you that...but in the main he was usually our best player - he would drive us forward from the back , distribution was good..and ultimately he got his move to Celtic , did well there and with the national team ...was a cut above most of our players ..

Since90+2
09-02-2018, 02:00 PM
The media in England undoubtedly talk up the game down south to be a better standard than it is but at the same time you can't deny it's miles ahead of the level in Scotland.

Caulker down south wouldn't be in the top 50 centre halts in Scotland he's probably top 5.

Just Jimmy
09-02-2018, 02:35 PM
The media in England undoubtedly talk up the game down south to be a better standard than it is but at the same time you can't deny it's miles ahead of the level in Scotland.

Caulker down south wouldn't be in the top 50 centre halts in Scotland he's probably top 5.he wouldn't be in the top 3 on this hibs team alone. never mind top 5 in the country. it's dundee he's signed for. he's no beckenbaur.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

jacomo
09-02-2018, 04:03 PM
This article on Caulker gives a good insight into why he has ended up at Dundee:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jun/29/steven-caulker-mental-illness-addictions-gambling-drinking-qpr

I was going to post this, remember reading it last summer.

Have a lot of sympathy for the guy, but he has his demons. Hope it works out for him at Dundee.

jacomo
09-02-2018, 04:07 PM
he wouldn't be in the top 3 on this hibs team alone. never mind top 5 in the country. it's dundee he's signed for. he's no beckenbaur.

Caulker had enormous potential but never fulfilled it, due to off the field issues.

If he finds his best form again, I’m struggling to think of a better centre back in Scotland to be honest.

But it’s an area where we have strength in depth, and frankly I am much more comfortable with Porteous learning his trade alongside Big Daz.

Steven Caulker has his own issues to worry about.

Aim Here
09-02-2018, 04:12 PM
he wouldn't be in the top 3 on this hibs team alone. never mind top 5 in the country. it's dundee he's signed for. he's no beckenbaur.

Someone with hefty off-the-pitch issues, like this guy, might well be playing in a team well below their skill level, so saying 'Dundee got him so he's bad' is maybe not a great indicator. The teams more appropriate to their footballing ability don't need to put up with the hassle of having them onboard, and they get ditched in favour of easier-to-handle players, leaving the lower teams to pick the players up cheaply, on the offchance they can cope with them.

You can see it happen with David Goodwillie - Clyde figures they can ride out the stigma of having a rapist on the team as long as that makes him affordable, and he stays one of the top goalscorers in the league. You'll also see it happen with Tony Stokes soon, once some lower team picks him up.

Lago
09-02-2018, 04:13 PM
He just didn't register with me at all.

ekhibee
09-02-2018, 04:40 PM
Gosh, Alan Gilzean. That's a name and blast from the past. A wonderful player for Tottenham if my memory serves me well.
Gilzean, Smith, Ian Ure, Bobby Seith, Alex Hamilton and Bobby Cox amongst others, and managed by Bob Shankly, in the 60's Dundee were a brilliant team, winning the league in 1961-62 and the following season reaching the semi finals of the European Cup, losing to AC Milan. Smith still the only player to win the league with 3 different teams from outside the Old Firm.

Beefster
09-02-2018, 05:57 PM

Hardly. He got a move to Celtic on the back of his performances at Hibs.

Folk seem to have turned him having a shocker right after the pre-contract came out into his entire Hibs career being the same. It wasn’t.

The Modfather
09-02-2018, 06:23 PM
Hardly. He got a move to Celtic on the back of his performances at Hibs.

Folk seem to have turned him having a shocker right after the pre-contract came out into his entire Hibs career being the same. It wasn’t.

I think that’s just the ying and the yang of football message boards. For every Gary Caldwell whose performances get worse over time there’s a Dominique Malonga or Grant Holt who get better.

jacomo
09-02-2018, 06:28 PM
I think that’s just the ying and the yang of football message boards. For every Gary Caldwell whose performances get worse over time there’s a Grant Holt who get better. Then there are those players who were pure class but some people just can’t see it, like Dominique Malonga.

:agree: especially the last line.

:wink:

Hi Heid Yin
09-02-2018, 07:23 PM
Gilzean, Smith, Ian Ure, Bobby Seith, Alex Hamilton and Bobby Cox amongst others, and managed by Bob Shankly, in the 60's Dundee were a brilliant team, winning the league in 1961-62 and the following season reaching the semi finals of the European Cup, losing to AC Milan. Smith still the only player to win the league with 3 different teams from outside the Old Firm.

Indeed, Dundee's heyday. So many great players.

SirDavidsNapper
09-02-2018, 10:22 PM
I've got a soft spot for Dundee. Dont mind them at all. Partly because of Albert Kidd and partly because i work there! Always surprised at how many Dundee fans there are in the city compared to United. The attendances don't reflect that somehow.

SRHibs
09-02-2018, 10:50 PM
How has N’Gog been getting on at County? Maybe this is just a symptom of our own feel-good factor, but I do feel like the standard of football (at least domestically) in Scotland is on the up. There are some great players in the league at the moment.

jgl07
10-02-2018, 12:10 AM
Worth a punt. If it doesn't work out he could waterproof the showers.

What a corker!

Cocaine&Caviar
10-02-2018, 07:43 AM
Still Qualifies for Scotland despite being capped once for England. Similar situation as Zaha who was capped for England but now plays for Ivory Coast.

If he can have an impressive 6 months, i'd expect him to be in the next squad. CB very shallow talent pool for Scotland.

Jack Ferrigan
10-02-2018, 08:41 AM
Is he just filling in

Nice one. Over the heads of most.

WoreTheGreen
10-02-2018, 08:44 AM
Nice one. Over the heads of most.

Yeah i was skirting around the issue

Is It On....
10-02-2018, 10:15 PM

My friend who is QPR fan sent me this..

"We signed him for £8m on a 4 year deal @£40K per week

£40K x 52 x 4=£8.3m wages, so total outlay £16.3m

Yet due to mental issues, he made just 50 appearances.

£16.3m/50 =£326K/game

Would have been cheaper if we had got Lionel Messi in for a season"

Is It On....
10-02-2018, 10:19 PM

Actually thought you nailed it..

Since90+2
10-02-2018, 11:12 PM
My friend who is QPR fan sent me this..

"We signed him for £8m on a 4 year deal @£40K per week

£40K x 52 x 4=£8.3m wages, so total outlay £16.3m

Yet due to mental issues, he made just 50 appearances.

£16.3m/50 =£326K/game

Would have been cheaper if we had got Lionel Messi in for a season"

What a weird thing for a mate to send.

Is It On....
11-02-2018, 12:06 AM

It was in response to me asking what he was like as a player. He is still a bit annoyed about all the expensive signings they have made over the last few years with little or nothing to show for it. They have spent some big money despite having similar crowds to us which shows the sort of crazy TV money floating about in England.

Jack Ferrigan
11-02-2018, 09:11 AM

Riveting read.Or maybe they were "shipping him on"

heretoday
11-02-2018, 09:33 AM
If he was any good he wouldn't be playing for Dundee.

SChibs
11-02-2018, 09:49 AM

None of the hibs players are any good cause if they were they'd be playing for better teams then?

NORTHERNHIBBY
11-02-2018, 10:26 AM

Did you know what the question was??

Scouse Hibee
11-02-2018, 10:30 AM

Like many players who end up in teams lower than their natural ability would suggest it's often due to other factors in their life and nothing to do with their footballi ability. He is a very talented player.

Niffy
11-02-2018, 11:07 AM
I find it a bit revealing (and worrying for Dundee) that despite their plight when McCann said it’s up to him and the player if he wants to play on Saturday.
And he wasn’t even on the bench.

nellio
11-02-2018, 11:22 AM
Signed for Cardiff when we went up to the premier.

Couldn't understand why Spurs let him come to us as at the time he was massively highly rated.

Incredible player but stories about off the field problems followed him like a bad smell. Fans constantly bumping into him in bars etc and no one had a good word to say.

Obvious that he had some significant problems but a quality player. Hope he has those issues sorted now and a great signing for Dundee.

Winston Ingram
11-02-2018, 01:36 PM
Signed for Cardiff when we went up to the premier.

Couldn't understand why Spurs let him come to us as at the time he was massively highly rated.

Incredible player but stories about off the field problems followed him like a bad smell. Fans constantly bumping into him in bars etc and no one had a good word to say.

Obvious that he had some significant problems but a quality player. Hope he has those issues sorted now and a great signing for Dundee.

Tbf to him Spurs didn’t want to let him go. He’d had a great season at Swansea and went back to Spurs and couldn’t get in the team, so insisted on going at the end of that season.