PDA

View Full Version : Favourite game that Hibs lost?

Northernhibee
07-02-2018, 08:49 PM
What was your favourite game that Hibs lost? It's easy to say favourite games that we won or even nicked a last minute draw (the Tynie 2-2 game) but are there any games that we lost that you took enjoyment from?

The 2013 Scottish Cup Final stands out for me - pumped by a superior Celtic side, feeling really sorry for ourselves after HT and for some reason when their third goal went in our entire end outsung the Celtic end. Even in disappointment we showed why our club is special that day. Leigh's last game with us, the "We'll support you evermore" booming out from our end - it might have been more heartache heading home from Hampden but it was a real pick me up to hear us drown out YNWA and be the loudest.

simple
07-02-2018, 08:56 PM
3-4 against rangers at Easter road 1997, Hibs played really well but Gaza and George Albertz were on a different planet.

18Hibee75
07-02-2018, 08:57 PM
3-0 game also stands out for me. Can't say there's many (if any) that I've enjoyed to be honest. If we're counting Brondby then certainly that one, what a trip that was and fans were immense in the stadium. Although we technically won that game, does it count?

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

Bostonhibby
07-02-2018, 09:01 PM
2-4 against juventus at ER. I thought we were in with a chance until they brought an ageing Altafini on. Wonderful finisher[emoji22]

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Greentinted
07-02-2018, 09:04 PM
3-4 against rangers at Easter road 1997, Hibs played really well but Gaza and George Albertz were on a different planet.

That’s the game that stands out for me as well. Gascoigne bossed the second half after we looked on easy street hitherto. No complaints though, was an incredible game to witness.
Sadly though it precipitated a slump in form that led to relegation - massive game in the big picture overall.

Pretty Boy
07-02-2018, 09:05 PM
I found the back slapping post the 2013 final a bit cringeworthy if I’m honest. The spontaneous outbreak of song at the time was great but all the self congratulation afterwards started to annoy me. It was almost like it became a celebration of a mediocre performance and pumping just because it was slightly less of a pumping than the year before.

I wouldn’t say I’ve ever really enjoyed watching Hibs lose a game but there have been plenty times I have appreciated I have seen a decent game of football. The 4-2 semi final v Celtic earlier this year is probably the most recent example. There was a game under Sauzee at ER v Aberdeen which was a really good game, sure we lost either 4-3 or 3-2 to a controversial last minute penalty that was missed and the rebound scored. De La Cruz was exceptional going forward and exceptionally awful defensively. The Rangers game previous mentioned is another good example although it was the start of a downward spiral for us that season so it’s hard to remember it with any ‘fondndess’.

Broken Gnome
07-02-2018, 09:06 PM
Without enjoying them, the most acceptable two that spring to mind are bizarrely a Hearts game - 2-3 Boxing Day 2006 in the Dean Shiels game - and the Aberdeen semi-final. If we weren't going to win the cup, the manner in which we lost that and the reaction at full time was about as commendable as we could have scripted.

IGRIGI
07-02-2018, 09:13 PM
The defeat to Celtic in the 2001 cup final.

My favourite period following Hibs with Sauzee and co, gave it their all but on the day Celtic led by Larsson were too good.

superfurryhibby
07-02-2018, 09:15 PM
I found the back slapping post the 2013 final a bit cringeworthy if I’m honest. The spontaneous outbreak of song at the time was great but all the self congratulation afterwards started to annoy me. It was almost like it became a celebration of a mediocre performance and pumping just because it was slightly less of a pumping than the year before.

I wouldn’t say I’ve ever really enjoyed watching Hibs lose a game but there have been plenty times I have appreciated I have seen a decent game of football. The 4-2 semi final v Celtic earlier this year is probably the most recent example. There was a game under Sauzee at ER v Aberdeen which was a really good game, sure we lost either 4-3 or 3-2 to a controversial last minute penalty that was missed and the rebound scored. De La Cruz was exceptional going forward and exceptionally awful defensively. The Rangers game previous mentioned is another good example although it was the start of a downward spiral for us that season so it’s hard to remember it with any ‘fondndess’.

Strange, I never saw or was part of any post match back slapping. That game reminded me of the 1985 (?) League Cup final shearing by the Sheep. We were never really in the game and beaten by a far superior side, but the fans showed that it's not all about the winning. It was defiance in the face of mediocrity, we wouldn't be there if it was all about the glory (nice although it is).

Leeds Utd, 1974. We hammered the soon to be English champions and still lost, on penalties. Still etched on my 10 year old memory. That was a glorius defeat if ever there was one, despite what Lorimer later claimed.

Eyrie
07-02-2018, 09:20 PM

That was the one I thought of as soon as I saw the thread title.

Bostonhibby
07-02-2018, 09:21 PM
Strange, I never saw or was part of any post match back slapping. That game reminded me of the 1985 (?) League Cup final shearing by the Sheep. We were never really in the game and beaten by a far superior side, but the fans showed that it's not all about the winning. It was defiance in the face of mediocrity, we wouldn't be there if it was all about the glory (nice although it is).

Leeds Utd, 1974. We hammered the soon to be English champions and still lost, on penalties. Still etched on my 8 year old memory. That was a glorius defeat if ever there was one, despite what Lorimer later claimed.I'd go with the Leeds game as well. Was there and remember leaving the ground wondering how we didn't win.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

SouthMoroccoStu
07-02-2018, 09:27 PM
A very early game under the management of Tony Mowbray

We lost 1-0 to Kilmarnock but we were all over them

Leaving Easter Road there was so much positivity despite the defeat

You could tell this team was something special

james62
07-02-2018, 09:30 PM
Falkirk in the 2016 play off, it had a massive bearing on what happened the week after.

HoboHarry
07-02-2018, 09:33 PM
Falkirk in the 2016 play off, it had a massive bearing on what happened the week after.
Behave yersel - we would have skelped Sevco even if we had won against Falkirk :greengrin

yonder1875
07-02-2018, 09:33 PM
The Aberdeen semi final last season as it was a great Hibs performance against the second best team in the country on a big stage and we were horribly unlucky to go out.

1van Sprou7e
07-02-2018, 09:34 PM
Aberdeen last season for me

Fans were sensational and it felt like we were still celebrating the cup win

The teams resurgence after the dire first 30 mins was also brilliant, we played some brilliant football and were unlucky not to go on to extra time at the very least

Diclonius
07-02-2018, 09:42 PM
I don't think I've ever enjoyed a game we lost.

Mon Dieu4
07-02-2018, 09:42 PM

Gazza did his usual elbows everywhere in that game, elbowed our defender and got a free kick which he scored from, ref gave us nothing but Hibs only had themselves to blame for not winning that, Jimmy Boco should have made it 4-1 when he went clear but decided to pass to no one

hibbydog
07-02-2018, 09:46 PM
Very difficult question. I can’t bring myself to enjoy games we get beat in.

But if I had to choose, last seasons semi v Aberdeen. After an awful start we were the better team overall and it confirmed we were ready for the premier league.

Left feeling v optimistic.

SChibs
07-02-2018, 09:49 PM

Was that the first league game of the 04/05 season? My first league game as a season ticket holder that was. I'm sure killie scored early too and then we completely dominated

erin go bragh
07-02-2018, 09:51 PM
Easy one . Only defeat I’ve ever enjoyed was at Ibrox , 2nd leg of league cup . Lost 1-0 but went through to the final as we had won the first leg 2-0 . 1985 .

Callum_62
07-02-2018, 09:52 PM
The AEK Athens european tie

What a performance at ER - and a better Paco Luna header away from winning the tie outright

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jonnyboy
07-02-2018, 09:54 PM
Not sure I can say I enjoyed watching us lose but I was filled with admiration for the way Juventus played against us in a 4-2 defeat at Easter Road. It was, to me, a football masterclass and as Bostonhibby says the introduction from the subs bench of 36 year old Jose Altafini was a major factor.

bigwheel
07-02-2018, 09:57 PM
Easy one . Only defeat I’ve ever enjoyed was at Ibrox , 2nd leg of league cup . Lost 1-0 but went through to the final as we had won the first leg 2-0 . 1985 .

That was so nerve wracking after losing an early goal. What a free kick from Cooper. Loads of Hibees missed it due to road problems getting through .....

HibbyAndy
07-02-2018, 10:01 PM
Was that the first league game of the 04/05 season? My first league game as a season ticket holder that was. I'm sure killie scored early too and then we completely dominated

:agree: Kris Boyd scored a deflection and still to this day i don't get how we never won , Battered them is an understatement !

Aldoo
07-02-2018, 10:05 PM

Spot on, first league game under Mowbray, we passed them off the park just couldn’t finish but the signs were there that we were going to be in for good times ahead. I think I recall the fans applauding the team off at full time.

hibsbollah
07-02-2018, 10:05 PM
Struggling to think of one, to be honest.

majorhibs
07-02-2018, 10:10 PM
Defeat et ER last game of season ‘86 against arabs. As news of Sir Alberts heroics at Dens came thru...

Ozyhibby
07-02-2018, 10:14 PM
Dundee Utd. Last game of the season. 1986.
Can’t remember why.

brog
07-02-2018, 10:14 PM

That was the game where the referee, Bobby Tait, started the move for old Rangers 2nd goal. Tait now gives talks to Orange lodges & boasts that he never awarded a penalty against old Rangers.

rodhibs55
07-02-2018, 10:18 PM
Defeat et ER last game of season ‘86 against arabs. As news of Sir Alberts heroics at Dens came thru...

Probably not a favourite game however a joyous occasion.

Stuart93
07-02-2018, 10:20 PM
Getting put out in the end by brondby.

Brilliant to watch us compete over both legs with a good European team (recently)

frazeHFC
07-02-2018, 10:32 PM
There's been plenty great away trips that have ended in defeat, quite often the 90 minutes is the worst part of the day. But in terms of an actual game, I wouldn't say I have a favourite. The Aberdeen semi-final last year was probably up there, cracking effort.

Waxy
07-02-2018, 10:33 PM
Dundee Utd. Last game of the season. 1986.
Can’t remember why.

Yes a no brainer this one. We lose to Dundee utd but the whole grounds going nuts about events at Dens.

Sammy7nil
07-02-2018, 10:49 PM

Agree about 2013,
Does AEK Athens count we won but we lost.
The other must be Ibrox semi final we lost 1 - 0 to a Cooper cracker of a free kick but won 2 -1 on aggregate

MWHIBBIES
07-02-2018, 10:52 PM
Losing 1-0 to secure 3rd place in 2005. Shame the huns won the league but I was delighted we finished 3rd

greenlex
07-02-2018, 10:55 PM
Strangely enough the last time Rangers came calling. How we did twin I’ll never know. They knew it. We knew it. Everybody knew it.

GreenNWhiteArmy
07-02-2018, 11:02 PM
League cup final vs Ross county and the play off defeat to falkirk

The manner of both imo, contributed heavily to the final 10 minute turnaround on 21/05/16

GreenNWhiteArmy
07-02-2018, 11:05 PM
Losing 1-0 to secure 3rd place in 2005. Shame the huns won the league but I was delighted we finished 3rd

The final 10 mins or so of that were surreal. Was literally just a kick about. Both getting the results we needed whilst hearts did their best to sneak Aberdeen in the back door. Pricks

wookie70
07-02-2018, 11:08 PM
Beat me to it. Cooper free kick and the busiest M8 ever

Jones28
07-02-2018, 11:09 PM
I can't see how anyone can enjoy a defeat.
The 0-3 cup final was more an act of defiance at the end, when Hibsing it was coming in to fashion but in the end we were pumped by Celtic team who didn't have to get out of third gear, another Scottish cup dream died that day. Had a great piss up after it though.

Jones28
07-02-2018, 11:11 PM
League cup final vs Ross county and the play off defeat to falkirk

The manner of both imo, contributed heavily to the final 10 minute turnaround on 21/05/16

Really? I find that hard to understand, I've seen Hibs in 5 finals and out of the 3 I've seen us lose that game against County was by far and away the hardest to stomach.

In hindsight they may have contributed but I don't see how losing that game improved the Scottish cup final?

PatHead
07-02-2018, 11:21 PM
Scottish Cup final 2016. Thought we did really well until Halliday scored the winner.

Sir David Gray
07-02-2018, 11:25 PM

Agreed.

The Baldmans Comb
07-02-2018, 11:33 PM
Technically we didn't lose but 2-6 to
6-6 v Motherwell was very enjoyable
weeks later just to say you had been there.

The one we did lose was Malmo 2:0 away and the 45 minute second half song was something special.

Dundee Utd at home and Sir Albert the First is the one though.:party::party:

ian cruise
08-02-2018, 12:09 AM
There's been many occasions over the years we've not won but played well so I've enjoyed the game at the time, but none that stay in my memory. I certainly don't think I've a favourite, but if we play well but still don't take home the 3 points I can often be happy enough. A good performance from Hibs is what I ask for.

Haymaker
08-02-2018, 12:12 AM
Scottish Cup final 2016. Thought we did really well until Halliday scored the winner.

Did it finish 2-1 in the end? I just for the life of me can't remember...

ian cruise
08-02-2018, 12:14 AM
Did it finish 2-1 in the end? I just for the life of me can't remember...

Can't believe that's his favourite, I was sickened when Halliday scored. So disgusted in fact I left there and then. I've still never tried to find out the result as when we scored I almost let myself believe we could do it finally, I should have known better though....

snooky
08-02-2018, 12:29 AM
Silly thread but I'll participate.
The last game of the season at ER when we 'lost' 1-0 to Rangers where the result, while it stood meant, Rangers won the League and we qualified for Europe. It was a case of nobody wanted to hurt anybody and it was all tippy-tappy in midfield by both teams.

Dashing Bob S
08-02-2018, 12:50 AM
Even though we didn’t quite make it in the May 2016 cup final against Rangers, we gave a decent account of ourselves. I thought when Stokesy put us ahead it was going to be our day but sadly that old Hampden hoodoo struck again and...oh, forgot about those last ten minutes, scratch that one. Maybe May 86 and that home 1-2 defeat against Dundee United. Funny, but it never really bothered me losing that one.

basehibby
08-02-2018, 01:21 AM
I simply cannot conceive of a Hibees defeat that I could enjoy - apart from if it was a second leg affair and we won it on aggregate - aye and I suppose that 1986 home defeat to Dundee Utd. Well there's always an exception to a rule eh?!? :cb

The_Exile
08-02-2018, 01:45 AM
The 4-3 Rangers game was also the first one I thought of. Yon Jorg Albertz had some right peg on him, ferocious. Didn’t Jimmy Boco get sparked clean out and almost swallow his own tongue after taking an Albertz piledriver square in the coupon?

I think it was a Hearts player that mentioned they used to draw straws before playing Rangers to see who would need to stand in the wall if they gave away a free kick and Albertz was on the park :greengrin

southern hibby
08-02-2018, 01:52 AM
Really don’t believe I’m posting this but Hamilton at Easter Road and getting relegated. Not the game as such but look how it’s motivated the whole club to pull in the same Direction.

Sometimes you have to step back to see the bigger picture.

We spent three years ( as if you don’t know ) in the wilderness sorting our self out and look what we achieved ONLY TEAM FROM THE LOWER DIVISIONS to get to 2 cup finals in the same season. Look at the crowds were attracting now and in the championship compared to before that game.

I may look back on that Hamilton game and cringe and fell pure hurt inside but I’ll always be grateful because to me it motivated our club like nothing else since Tom Farmer stepped in in 1990’s. Make no mistake we are club heading in the right direction and l think the turning point was the Hamilton game.

GGTTH

Peevemor
08-02-2018, 06:29 AM
2-1 Dundee Utd at ER, last game of the season 1986. In fact, nearly everyone in the ground was ecstatic at the final whistle. Can't for the life of me think why...

heidtheba
08-02-2018, 06:32 AM
Hibs - Rangers, end of January 1993. 3-4 to them.
It was my first Hibs game. I wasn't fussed on football at all and rarely watched it even on tv. A friend of mine from Uni got me a ticket for my 18th birthday. It was a game which swung and was end-to-end and I was hooked. I got my first ST in 94 and a seven goal thriller, even though we lost, was a great intro. I loved the crowd too!

Hillsidehibby
08-02-2018, 07:02 AM
League cup tie at er v Aberdeen 88-89?
Hibs wore all white but beaten 3-2 (there’s that score again) but it was a magnificent end to end game and I came away happy.

heretoday
08-02-2018, 07:16 AM
Hibs 2 Juventus 4 in October 1974. No shame to lose to the Italian maestros. Hibs kept getting outpaced by Altafini and we stood and applauded. Also a certain Claudio Gentile featured. One of the old hard men. I wonder how he'd have got on nowadays.

iwasthere1972
08-02-2018, 07:19 AM
4-1 away defeat to Napoli. Wasn't there but I don't think that was the criteria.

allezsauzee
08-02-2018, 07:20 AM

This one is definitely my favourite!

allezsauzee
08-02-2018, 07:22 AM
Hibs 2 Juventus 4 in October 1974. No shame to lose to the Italian maestros. Hibs kept getting outpaced by Altafini and we stood and applauded. Also a certain Claudio Gentile featured. One of the old hard men. I wonder how he'd have got on nowadays.

He'd be fresh as a daisy because he'd only ever play 20 minutes before being sent off :greengrin

guidref
08-02-2018, 07:59 AM
Hibs 2 Juventus 4 in October 1974. It was my first Hibs game and was only a few days after I signed on an "S" Form. I wasn't a Hibs fan before that but from the moment I stepped through the door of the old wooden stand as a Hibs "player", that was me.

pacoluna
08-02-2018, 08:22 AM
Brondby away, enjoyed the game, great away support and played well.

calumhibee1
08-02-2018, 09:35 AM

What a performance at ER - and a better Paco Luna header away from winning the tie outright

100%. What an unbelievable night.

--------
08-02-2018, 10:04 AM

My thoughts exactly. Looking back fondly on being beaten by celtic, hearts, leeds united?

Hell'll freeze over first. :bitchy:

Not sure I can say I enjoyed watching us lose but I was filled with admiration for the way Juventus played against us in a 4-2 defeat at Easter Road. It was, to me, a football masterclass and as Bostonhibby says the introduction from the subs bench of 36 year old Jose Altafini was a major factor.

Like you, John, I can't say I ever enjoy watching Hibs lose, but I do agree about the Juve game - we all knew we weren't going to do very much against them, but you couldn't fault the team for the result, and Altafini was magical.

He was on Napoli's books in 1967 but he was carrying a knock and they decided that a three-goal lead was plenty, so they left him at home.

IIRC he was considered just about the top striker in Europe at the time. Napoli had big hopes of the Scudetto that season and they were being very careful of him, which was just as well for us!

I have to say that I enjoyed the game he didn't play in much much more than the one he did.

Just Jimmy
08-02-2018, 10:17 AM
None. Hibs win, I'm happy. Hibs lose. I'm miserable. No exceptions.

Some wins are better than others. All losses are ****.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

hughio
08-02-2018, 11:07 AM
None. Hibs win, I'm happy. Hibs lose. I'm miserable. No exceptions.

Some wins are better than others. All losses are ****.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

True...

but as time passes, and we look back with nostalgia, I recall Celtc's European Cup winning side coming to Easter Road on 8th October 1966 (shortly before their 1967 victory obviously).
They won 3-5 but it was a fantastic spectacle with not much in it.
We had Sir Pat Stanton,Peter Cormack etc showing world class skills.
I think Billy McNeil scored the decisive goal with his head.
Jinky was a blistering form.

No need IMO to look back with anything other than pride at how our team performed.

Stewboy
08-02-2018, 01:11 PM

Is that when Boco missed a 1 on 1 just after half time when we led 3-1 at the time? Albertz scored from about 40 yards to win it did he not?

patlowe
08-02-2018, 02:21 PM
I think what the thread suggests is that fans don't ever really go away from a defeat 'happy' as such but perhaps it is possible to come away with a sense of defiant or renewed pride in the team/club. In which case, I left ER following defeat to Rangers (and to a lesser extent Aberdeen) a few months back thinking 'fair enough, we've been beaten, but it was not for the want of trying and we have a team that both gives everything and is bloody good to watch. Given where we've come from, I'll take that'.

penihibs
08-02-2018, 07:14 PM

Leeds Utd, 1974. We hammered the soon to be English champions and still lost, on penalties. Still etched on my 10 year old memory. That was a glorius defeat if ever there was one, despite what Lorimer later claimed.

Yes was thinking about that Aberdeen game aswell round about 1985.
My older Brother came on the bus with us a big Celtic man,he was blown away with the Hibs support that day after we were well beat and still talks about it now.
It's not all about winning! just shows what the Hibs means to so many!!

Frazerbob
08-02-2018, 08:10 PM
Anderlecht away. Technically it was a draw but we lost the tie. Incredible support and brilliant couple of days. My first foreign football game and lit the touch paper. Lost count of the times I’ve traveled abroad following Scotland and Hibs since.

BILLYHIBS
08-02-2018, 09:17 PM
AEK at home- packed Easter Road - spine tingling rendition of Sunshine On Leith-Sauzee booting the dug out when he had to come off injured- Paco Luna normally deadly in the air should have won it for us with a header at the end of regulation 90 minutes- brilliant strike by Zitelli in extra time but to no avail- ITS GREAT BEING A HIBBY! GGTTH

Biggie
08-02-2018, 10:20 PM
Hibs v Leeds Utd.......came away buzzing how well we played, and we played them off the park. Gordon had a goal disallowed and of course Pat's penalty.
Out, but proud how we played over the two legs

lyonhibs
08-02-2018, 10:24 PM

This for me. I can accept getting beaten by a better team on any given day, but to have derived enjoyment from a game we lost??

Nah, never.

rodhibs55
08-02-2018, 10:57 PM
Apologies if someone has already mentioned this.
I am in the camp of never happy when we get beat.
Been some magnificent games though where we were brilliant but just couldn't get over the line.
One game in amongst of many for me was Leeds United when it was like us versus Billy Bremner.

BILLYHIBS
08-02-2018, 11:20 PM
Billy Bremner was unplayable that night totally outstanding came north to Scotland to show what he was all about regardless of what Peter Lorimer said in his book about Leeds taking us lightly and playing kids. How HIBS did not win I will never understand in the end came down to the roulette of a penalty shoot out.

In 1974 against Juventus HIBS were 2-1 up at half time. They unleashed the ageing Brazilian Altafini-a player Napoli decided to leave at home in 1967- in the second half HIBS could not live with his pace and the quality of his finishing. Sometimes you have to put your hand up and say the better team won.

Mikey09
08-02-2018, 11:23 PM

This. Best atmosphere I've witnessed at Easter Road.

hibby6270
08-02-2018, 11:48 PM
AEK at home- packed Easter Road - spine tingling rendition of Sunshine On Leith-Sauzee booting the dug out when he had to come off injured- Paco Luna normally deadly in the air should have won it for us with a header at the end of regulation 90 minutes- brilliant strike by Zitelli in extra time but to no avail- ITS GREAT BEING A HIBBY! GGTTH

BUT - we actually won that game 3-2.
I know, I know aggregate defeat - BUT...............

hibby6270
08-02-2018, 11:52 PM
In a perverse sort of way the 7-0 defeat against Malmo.

1) Beaten by a superior team and it showed that we were no way near top European standard in comparison to the great displays in 60s/70s.

2) gave me a brief insight how the Jambos felt on 1/1/1973 :wink:

BILLYHIBS
09-02-2018, 12:00 AM
BUT - we actually won that game 3-2.
I know, I know aggregate defeat - BUT...............
Still lost in the HIBS way which is my point defeat from the jaws of victory GGTTH!!

hibby6270
09-02-2018, 12:07 AM
Still lost in the HIBS way which is my point defeat from the jaws of victory GGTTH!!

Yeah. I get your drift and I raise you Hamburg and Leeds from when I was a laddie. Ties at ER we didn’t get beat in but we still lost.:wink:

BILLYHIBS
09-02-2018, 12:26 AM
Yeah. I get your drift and I raise you Hamburg and Leeds from when I was a laddie. Ties at ER we didn’t get beat in but we still lost.:wink:
Aye, Was at the Hamburg game totally robbed did their goalie no wear a green top resulting in Joe Mcbrides goals being offside because the referee thought their goalie was a hibby. Willie Wilson (Big Jambo but really nice guy) taking the five steps and Clive Thomas the guy that disallowed a legitimate goal in the World Cup deciding to enforce the new four step rule allowing Jack (the giraffe neck) to head the ball in on the line from the resulting free kick. You must be auld like me?

hibby6270
09-02-2018, 12:46 AM
Aye, Was at the Hamburg game totally robbed did their goalie no wear a green top resulting in Joe Mcbrides goals being offside because the referee thought their goalie was a hibby. Willie Wilson (Big Jambo but really nice guy) taking the five steps and Clive Thomas the guy that disallowed a legitimate goal in the World Cup deciding to enforce the new four step rule allowing Jack (the giraffe neck) to head the ball in on the line from the resulting free kick. You must be auld like me?

Hey. Less of the auld LOL.:greengrin:greengrin
Although have to admit my profile age is sadly correct.

Memory a bit hazy re your McBride comment. You may well be right. All I can recall is not understanding how because we’d won, we actually lost. Took my dad ages to explain the away goal rule. Think I understood the offside rule better at the age of 10.

The Leeds tie I was actually referring to was the double 0-0 in 73 but yeah your right the 68 game comes into the same category but I did understand that one as a loos because of the first leg defeat. Still hurt though - both times.

HoboHarry
09-02-2018, 01:55 AM
I think you are talking about the Zico header from the corner? Not sure Clive Thomas was wrong by the rules though. Obviously it was foolish to allow the corner to be taken if there was no time to complete the corner, but it would have been equally unfair on Sweden to concede a goal if time was up. Killed his FIFA career stone dead regardless of the rights and wrongs of the incident......

Anti-hoofbaw
09-02-2018, 07:20 AM

Did Albertz come off the bench second half in that game ?

Hiber-nation
09-02-2018, 07:26 AM
Did Albertz come off the bench second half in that game ?

Nah, he definitely started https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfke1BSg4u4

Peevemor
09-02-2018, 07:35 AM

That match led ultimately to our relegation IMO. Duffy had us on a good run and we were at or near the top of the league. We had a huge squad of largely mediocre players however and it was always fragile. That loss seemed to knock the stuffing out the team and we hardly kicked a ball after that.

Hiber-nation
09-02-2018, 08:44 AM
That match led ultimately to our relegation IMO. Duffy had us on a good run and we were at or near the top pf the league. We had a huge squad of largeley mediocre players however and it was always fragile. That loss seemed to knock the stufing out the team and we hardly kicked a ball after that.

Very true. That game was in October and we only won 3 more times that season and 2 were under McLeish.

fife hfc
09-02-2018, 08:52 AM
The Brondby game. Even though we lost overall we put up a spirited performance after the prediction was we would be totally humiliated. Great trip and come away from the stadium with a sense of pride even in defeat.

Bill Milne
09-02-2018, 08:54 AM
Daft thread really, there is no such thing as an "enjoyable" defeat IMO!

Peevemor
09-02-2018, 08:56 AM
Daft thread really, there is no such thing as an "enjoyable" defeat IMO!

Except the Dundee Utd match in 86. The Hibs fans even ironically cheered Utd's winner.

Bill Milne
09-02-2018, 09:11 AM
Except the Dundee Utd match in 86. The Hibs fans even ironically cheered Utd's winner.

Completely agree, but nothing to do with Hibs defeat!! Purely as a result of events elsewhere.

Joe6-2
09-02-2018, 09:13 AM
AEK Athens was one, the atmosphere was amazing, but the UEFA game against Leeds in 1973 lives long in the memory, we really should have won that game!!

Rocky
09-02-2018, 09:22 AM

That was the one that immediately jumped to mind for me too - I broke a watch that day in the pandemonium in the East after one of our goals.

PeeJay
09-02-2018, 09:28 AM
Leeds United with Bremner, Charlton, Gray, Lorimer et al - back in 68 - we drew 1-1, but lost on aggregate because of Wilson's infringement of the 4-step rule resulting in a free kick that gave lanky Charlton the chance to score a last minute equaliser - was a draw, but felt like a defeat and we had played so well against the mighty Leeds ...

Earlydelivery
09-02-2018, 10:20 AM
I’ll go with Leeds game in 73 . Fantastic performance against a class side .

Hibrandenburg
09-02-2018, 11:08 AM
Hibs 0 Celtic 5 1985

If we'd sneaked any kind of result then Hearts would have been crowned champions the following year. It hurt at the time but with hindsight the skelping we got helped them get pipped at the post on goal difference.

CropleyWasGod
09-02-2018, 11:22 AM
Losing 5-0 at home to Aberdeen on the last day of the season, 1980?

We were already relegated, but the result meant that Aberdeen won the league. After 15 years of OF dominance, it made a refreshing change.

(Oh for a mere 15 years these days.....)

SideBurns
09-02-2018, 11:55 AM
Hibs 0 Celtic 5 1985

If we'd sneaked any kind of result then Hearts would have been crowned champions the following year. It hurt at the time but with hindsight the skelping we got helped them get pipped at the post on goal difference.

That's a great shout. If I remember correctly, it was just a few days after we'd knocked Celtic out the League Cup on pens after a 4-4 draw, so a tanking on the Saturday wasn't expected! Just as well though, in hindsight...

TelaStella
09-02-2018, 04:17 PM
I don't enjoy games we lose and on the subject of that Celtic final back in 2013 It was some of the worst I've ever felt leaving a football ground. However when I saw this thread one game did, in a way spring to mind. Dundee Utd at home think it was either a QF or semi, first season under Stubbs? Ended up getting beat on penalties but for a team who was only starting to come together in what was a difficult time I always thought we gave a very good account of ourselves that night against what was then a very good United team.

Anti-hoofbaw
09-02-2018, 05:29 PM

Sound :aok:. Should really have known that as I was at the game and remember the goals well.

ancient hibee
09-02-2018, 05:39 PM
I don't believe in liking any game we've lost particularly ones we should have won so I'm choosing a draw. 6-6 a friendly against Middlesborough with hat tricks for Baker and Clough and a great Middlesborough free kick routine where 3 players made dummy runs and the 4th.Willie Fernie,faced with a wall slightly askew hit the bar .

blackpoolhibs
09-02-2018, 05:49 PM
Quite a few actually, in fact every game we either drew or lost to rangers while they were cheating.

I have awarded us a 3-0 win for them all.

Sir David Gray
09-02-2018, 07:55 PM
The 2016 Scottish Cup final stands out as one.

You have to applaud such a brave performance but Andy Halliday's goal was fit to win any game so fair play to him.

SRHibs
09-02-2018, 08:18 PM
Athens without a doubt (if that counts). Superb game. Zitelli scored an absolute screamer of a consolation as well IIRC.

Rocky
09-02-2018, 08:36 PM
Hats off to the sheer volume of cliched 'you cannae enjoy a game we lost' posters. Presumably they can't tell during the 90 minutes whether they're enjoying themselves or not, and have to make their mind up on the way to the bus?

Feel sorry for them in the games where we score a last minute winner - they must spend 90 minutes thinking they're having a ***** time

james62
09-02-2018, 09:03 PM
Hibs 0 Celtic 5 1985

I didn't realise Celtic beat us 5-0 that season, and now I do I'm surprised that Hearts fans blame St.Mirren for them losing the league and not us!

Skol
09-02-2018, 09:09 PM

Nailed it

Skol
09-02-2018, 09:10 PM
I didn't realise Celtic beat us 5-0 that season, and now I do I'm surprised that Hearts fans blame St.Mirren for them losing the league and not us!

We also sneaked a home draw with Hearts that season when Sandy Clark missed a sitter. Had he scored that goal, Craig Levein might have played at Dens Park as Hearts were awarded the league trophy

Tornadoes70
09-02-2018, 09:36 PM

Same for me, iirc we had the two tiers packed with around 6 or 7 thousand of us. Did Cooper score with the sublime curling free kick or did it come back off the bar? I'm sure Cooper scored the huns consolation goal whether or not it was the free kick i'm referring to. The nails were bitten down to the quick towards the end of the match and scenes of sheer jubilation when the final whistle sounded, a day to remember that's for certain.

mon the cabbage!!!

Swedish hibee
09-02-2018, 10:46 PM
I was at the Dundee utd cup game at ER under Stubbs when we lost on penalties and really enjoyed that game.

we are hibs
09-02-2018, 10:58 PM
I was at the Dundee utd cup game at ER under Stubbs when we lost on penalties and really enjoyed that game.

This. I think that night the connection between the fans and players grew massively and a belief in the players from the fans started to take shape after years of let downs. One of the few times I've applauded a hibs side off the park after defeat

ancient hibee
09-02-2018, 11:01 PM
Hats off to the sheer volume of cliched 'you cannae enjoy a game we lost' posters. Presumably they can't tell during the 90 minutes whether they're enjoying themselves or not, and have to make their mind up on the way to the bus?

Feel sorry for them in the games where we score a last minute winner - they must spend 90 minutes thinking they're having a ***** time

Strange post.Personally I know a game lasts 90 minutes so I’mprepared for anything.Incidentally if we score a last minute winner it means we’re drawing up until then which rather kicks your theory in the goolies.So no need to feel sorry for me thank you.

SRHibs
09-02-2018, 11:07 PM
Strange post.Personally I know a game lasts 90 minutes so I’mprepared for anything.Incidentally if we score a last minute winner it means we’re drawing up until then which rather kicks your theory in the goolies.So no need to feel sorry for me thank you.

I almost experience a game in 2 ways: in real-time, then retrospectively. If it’s 1-1 it can be highly enjoyable to watch, then we concede a last minute goal and after the fact the game was not enjoyable at all. Conversely it makes the whole thing that much better in my memory if we score a last minute winner, despite only a tiny bit of the game actually changing.

SideBurns
09-02-2018, 11:19 PM
Same for me, iirc we had the two tiers packed with around 6 or 7 thousand of us. Did Cooper score with the sublime curling free kick or did it come back off the bar? I'm sure Cooper scored the huns consolation goal whether or not it was the free kick i'm referring to. The nails were bitten down to the quick towards the end of the match and scenes of sheer jubilation when the final whistle sounded, a day to remember that's for certain.

mon the cabbage!!!

That was an amazing night - Gordon Rae was booked for the foul on McCoist which led to Cooper's brilliant free kick, you could see on the big man's face he knew that was him out of the final but he was different class after that. Jukebox Durie had a chance in the last minute to settle the nerves but the Huns keeper (Nicky Walker perhaps?) saved his shot and it was an excruciating wait for the full time whistle. What an explosion of joy in the Broomloan at the end though!

Peevemor
09-02-2018, 11:28 PM
That was an amazing night - Gordon Rae was booked for the foul on McCoist which led to Cooper's brilliant free kick, you could see on the big man's face he knew that was him out of the final but he was different class after that. Jukebox Durie had a chance in the last minute to settle the nerves but the Huns keeper (Nicky Walker perhaps?) saved his shot and it was an excruciating wait for the full time whistle. What an explosion of joy in the Broomloan at the end though!There were roadworks on the M8 that night and loads of us arrived late. I got to my seat about 5 minutes before Cooper scored.

Rocky
09-02-2018, 11:28 PM

So if we were 2-1 up after 89 minutes and I asked you if you were enjoying the game you might say yes but if we lost two goals in injury time you wouldn't have enjoyed the game at all?

The OP is simply pulling out the difference between enjoyment of a result and enjoyment of the actual experience of watching the game.

Tornadoes70
09-02-2018, 11:32 PM
That was an amazing night - Gordon Rae was booked for the foul on McCoist which led to Cooper's brilliant free kick, you could see on the big man's face he knew that was him out of the final but he was different class after that. Jukebox Durie had a chance in the last minute to settle the nerves but the Huns keeper (Nicky Walker perhaps?) saved his shot and it was an excruciating wait for the full time whistle. What an explosion of joy in the Broomloan at the end though!

You've got a better memory than me for finer details Sideburns as to the leading up to Cooper's sublime free kick and individual player performances. Cooper was one of the finest hun players ever seen and I would imagine there's plenty of fellow Hibernian fans would agree to that fact. I remember we (dad and brother) were taken aback by the size of the Hibernian support that traveled through there as we packed out the two tiers and it was an extremely boisterous exuberant Hibernian support that day.It was an outpouring of joy and relief at the end of the match. Definitely a favourite ever celebrated defeat.

mon the cabbage!!!

blackpoolhibs
09-02-2018, 11:45 PM
So if we were 2-1 up after 89 minutes and I asked you if you were enjoying the game you might say yes but if we lost two goals in injury time you wouldn't have enjoyed the game at all?

The OP is simply pulling out the difference between enjoyment of a result and enjoyment of the actual experience of watching the game.

Exactly, i have enjoyed many many games where we've lost or drawn them.

Steve-O
10-02-2018, 04:00 AM
Back in the days when we used to get regularly horsed at Ibrox, I remember quite enjoying a 4-3 defeat through there. We were 2-1 up at halftime through goals from Wright and Jackson and it was a rarity at the time!

Steve-O
10-02-2018, 04:09 AM
Hibs - Rangers, end of January 1993. 3-4 to them.
It was my first Hibs game. I wasn't fussed on football at all and rarely watched it even on tv. A friend of mine from Uni got me a ticket for my 18th birthday. It was a game which swung and was end-to-end and I was hooked. I got my first ST in 94 and a seven goal thriller, even though we lost, was a great intro. I loved the crowd too!

Yep, as an 11 year old, I remember this goal fest and enjoying it too.

SRHibs
10-02-2018, 04:46 AM
Back in the days when we used to get regularly horsed at Ibrox, I remember quite enjoying a 4-3 defeat through there. We were 2-1 up at halftime through goals from Wright and Jackson and it was a rarity at the time!

Reminds me of this game: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vfke1BSg4u4

Some team the cheats had back then.

Joe6-2
10-02-2018, 07:53 AM

That was some night, fantastic

Eyrie
10-02-2018, 10:47 AM
Exactly, i have enjoyed many many games where we've lost or drawn them.

Agree with this.

My enjoyment of a game is based on how well Hibs play, with the scoreline a secondary consideration. I go home in a better mood after a defeat where we played well than I do after a win where we played poorly.

If winning every week was my main concern, I wouldn't be a Hibs fan. I'd be glory hunting elsewhere.

TheHarpy76
10-02-2018, 10:59 AM
Agree with this.

My enjoyment of a game is based on how well Hibs play, with the scoreline a secondary consideration. I go home in a better mood after a defeat where we played well than I do after a win where we played poorly.

If winning every week was my main concern, I wouldn't be a Hibs fan. I'd be glory hunting elsewhere.

I find that a very strange attitude. Each to their own though.
I’d much rather a drab 1-0 win where we didn’t play well over a 3-2 defeat in which we did.

Opinions eh?

Baldy Foghorn
10-02-2018, 11:09 AM
Never enjoyed any game that we have lost...

TheHarpy76
10-02-2018, 11:10 AM
Never enjoyed any game that we have lost...

Same

lucky
10-02-2018, 11:31 AM
AEK game at ER we won the match but lost the tie. The same with Brondby away. Both great nights but sadly we just never done enough to scape through

RoxburghHibs
10-02-2018, 12:07 PM
Can’t say I have a favourite game we lost. I have taken pride in performance even in defeat but never enjoyment

AgentDaleCooper
10-02-2018, 12:50 PM
2-3 at tynecastle, when deano got sent off, was a great match. Whittaker hit both posts with a shot IIRC. Gutted we lost, but it was a very exciting 90 mins.

2-3 against aberdeen in the semi, and 0-3 in the final agaibst celtic were memorable, but mainly due to the performance of the fans. The latter was, for me, an important moment where 25,000 hibees showed faith that we were going to bring the cup home some time soon, which IIRC we did...?

AgentDaleCooper
10-02-2018, 01:00 PM
IMO some people are conflating the enjoyment of a football match with enjoying hibs loosing. Don't really get why these folk are bothering posting.

Eyrie
10-02-2018, 07:18 PM
I find that a very strange attitude. Each to their own though.
I’d much rather a drab 1-0 win where we didn’t play well over a 3-2 defeat in which we did.

Opinions eh?
It would be a dull board if everyone had the same opinion :agree:

When I go to a game I want to be entertained. If the score was all that mattered to me then I could do something else with my time and just check the result later.

I stopped going for a few years, initially because I was no longer enjoying the football and then because other things had taken over. When I finally went back I found that I missed the buzz of being there, but my mood afterwards still depends on the performance more than the result.

Mibbes Aye
10-02-2018, 07:40 PM
Never keen on seeing Hibs lose, but let's face it, it comes with the job.

My memories of the 1993 League Cup Final were of a rowdy and boisterous day and evening, that started very early and finished very late. The result was a letdown but I did enjoy that day.

There was also a game at ER, must have been mid-ninetiesish, against Celtc, round about when they had Van Hooijdonk, Di Canio and Cadete. They scored a goal that started from the back and was pretty much one-touch passes all the way up the pitch in super-quick time that just cut us open mercilessly. I was in the East that day and gave them a sullen few claps for it, as did a fair number, which was a rare thing.

mim
10-02-2018, 08:04 PM
It would be a dull board if everyone had the same opinion :agree:

When I go to a game I want to be entertained. If the score was all that mattered to me then I could do something else with my time and just check the result later.

I stopped going for a few years, initially because I was no longer enjoying the football and then because other things had taken over. When I finally went back I found that I missed the buzz of being there, but my mood afterwards still depends on the performance more than the result.
That is exactly how I feel.
To answer the question tho. I would be torn between Brondby away and Leeds at ER in 73. Yes, that's how long I've been following Hibs.

One Day
10-02-2018, 09:03 PM
That was some night, fantastic

This must be the only game I was ever happy at after losing. The scenes inside and outside the ground were amazing. The Huns just disappeared. They don't like the odds when Hibs filled the whole end

O'Rourke3
10-02-2018, 09:27 PM
Thanks to the hive mind both the Leeds game in 72 and the Arabs in 2014 are games I've genuinely left feeling good about the team of not the result. The two Hampden results that bothersome the least are Falkirk semi 2015 and Ross County April 2016. In neither occasion did the team fail to turn up.

Bishop Hibee
10-02-2018, 09:32 PM
I’ve not got a favourite we lost. The one big game that stands out for me where we did everything we could but still lost was the 1993 League Cup Final. Gutted but I accepted the players gave their all against a very good Rangers side.

ekhibee
10-02-2018, 09:38 PM
Barcelona at Murrayfield, I think it was 3-0. Always wanted to see Messi playing in the flesh, and that was a great Barcelona side.

majorhibs
10-02-2018, 09:57 PM
Barcelona at Murrayfield, I think it was 3-0. Always wanted to see Messi playing in the flesh, and that was a great Barcelona side.

Was 0-5 at HT iirc, orchestrated by 21 yr old Messi, who never appeared for 2nd half. Had my v.young at the time Son beside me & told him to enjoy watching a masterclass just like I was. It was enough seeing Hibs of that time v Barca.

Mibbes Aye
10-02-2018, 10:26 PM
Was 0-5 at HT iirc, orchestrated by 21 yr old Messi, who never appeared for 2nd half. Had my v.young at the time Son beside me & told him to enjoy watching a masterclass just like I was. It was enough seeing Hibs of that time v Barca.

It was a treat seeing the Barca greats even though they gave us a humbling. My memory from the game was Steven Thicot coming on as a sub in what I think was his Hibs debut, and spraying passes about.

I had high hopes for him but it never really worked out. After his cameo at Murayfield, I think he only really had one great game against Celtc at Parkhead. We shipped two goals in the first ten minutes but steadied the ship after that and Thicot was immense in midfield, connecting back to front - one of those games where we deserved a lot more than we got. Possibly the match that Denes Rosa got his first appearance for Hibs as a sub?

vincipernoi
12-02-2018, 07:52 AM
Haven't checked the whole thread forensically but has anyone suggested a home game against Dundee United in May 1986?

johnbc70
12-02-2018, 08:05 AM

Remember seeing Messi ghost past the Hibs players like they were not there.

SirDavidsNapper
12-02-2018, 08:18 AM

Was literally a training exercise for Barca. We were chasing shaddows

Michael
12-02-2018, 08:28 AM
I missed the Barca friendly. Would be good to arrange another match against one of the continental giants, but pretty tough to organise.

blackpoolhibs
12-02-2018, 08:29 AM
If you have never enjoyed a game of football where we've been beaten, then you must have endured some ****ty days watching Hibs.

Broken Gnome
12-02-2018, 09:35 AM
Got one. It's an undisputed fact that everyone on this board that was at Hibs-Rangers in May 2005 had some sort of celebration despite getting beat 1-0.