PDA

View Full Version : SFA board to approach Walter Smith

Pages : [1] 2

BegbieHSC
05-02-2018, 07:28 AM
Seen in a few papers that he's up for it too.

He's been retired for 7 years. What a terribly backwards thinking appointment.

Michael
05-02-2018, 07:30 AM
SFA is a shambles.

Oscar T Grouch
As CEO or manager? According to Chick Dung yesterday on Sportsound his wife winnae allow him to unretire.

Ozyhibby
If this is true, it’s a good indication of how much change Petrie and Co have in mind at the SFA.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180205/cd7ee70655c8abb398c541f5da1279e0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ian cruise
I'd hope that in itself shows why Leeanne should avoid like the plague, though it also shows why they need her.

BegbieHSC
05-02-2018, 07:32 AM
Manager - it's oor Rod, and the rest of the board with this bright idea apparently.

ian cruise
05-02-2018, 07:39 AM
As CEO or manager? According to Chick Dung yesterday on Sportsound his wife winnae allow him to unretire.

Friend sent me this when he was touted to replaced Pedro, applies to this as well though.

we are hibs
05-02-2018, 07:44 AM
Manager - it's oor Rod, and the rest of the board with this bright idea apparently.

Yestwrday the papers were saying Petrie wanted McLeish. It's like we've went back 12 years

lapsedhibee
05-02-2018, 07:44 AM
I'd hope that in itself shows why Leeanne should avoid like the plague, though it also shows why they need her.

Why would the SFA still be interested in LD this week? The game against the Thes was on Saturday. :confused:

ian cruise
05-02-2018, 07:53 AM
Why would the SFA still be interested in LD this week? The game against the Thes was on Saturday. :confused:

Valid point, plus we had the audacity to win so automatically puts a black mark against her name.

AndyM_1875
05-02-2018, 07:53 AM

Lets wait and see the details. If the cardigan is working with a younger coach like Scott Gemmil then it may be something that could work.
Experienced man nurturing the younger coach to eventually take on the job.

StevieCowan
05-02-2018, 07:55 AM
Petrie and MacRae in charge of appointing the national manager 😂😂

green day
05-02-2018, 07:58 AM
I sometimes wish there was a subforum on here with threads which didn't turn anti Hibs within minutes.

If it's not Lennon for being a crap manager, it's Dempster for some reason, then we get the full bingo by including Petrie as a SFA lackey FFS!

Some people seem unhappy unless they are whining about something..... anything.

Peevemor
05-02-2018, 07:59 AM
I sometimes wish there was a subforum on here with threads which didn't turn anti Hibs within minutes.

If it's not Lennon for being a crap manager, it's Dempster for some reason, then we get the full bingo by including Petrie as a SFA lackey FFS!

:top marks

ajf
05-02-2018, 08:01 AM
The ***** retired leave the bitter b****** where he is

we are hibs
05-02-2018, 08:01 AM
Lets wait and see the details. If the cardigan is working with a younger coach like Scott Gemmil then it may be something that could work.
Experienced man nurturing the younger coach to eventually take on the job.

the huns tried that with mccoist

ian cruise
05-02-2018, 08:02 AM

He has been the most successful manager in their history so I'm not sure what the argument is.....

Bostonhibby
05-02-2018, 08:02 AM
What's Alfred Ramsey doing? Got to be in with a shout now that we know what the criteria is and mortality shouldn't be a barrier.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

keep the faith
05-02-2018, 08:06 AM

Well Said! This post should be a sticky.

Hibbyradge
05-02-2018, 08:07 AM
A lot of whinging and moaning about newspaper rumours going on.

Who do people think should get the Scotland job?

hibbyfraelibby
05-02-2018, 08:07 AM
Petrie and MacRae in charge of appointing the national manager 😂😂

Go on Rodders appoint Terry Butcher...you know you want to🤣

Nameless
05-02-2018, 08:10 AM

Who do people think should get the Scotland job?Alan Stubbs.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Frazerbob
05-02-2018, 08:12 AM

Gordon Strachan

MagicSwirlingShip
05-02-2018, 08:13 AM

A sign of ambition would be nice.

Ireland appointed Trappatoni back in 2008. A manager of a similar pedigree, outside the SFA establishment old boys would inspire the fans and the players.

Walter Smith is not the answer.

Velma Dinkley
05-02-2018, 08:13 AM
How much was he paid through the illegal EBTs?

AndyM_1875
05-02-2018, 08:14 AM

and?

McCoist was a rookie and remained one when he walked into a firestorm at Ibrox.

Scott Gemmill has ran the U16s, U19s and U21s at National level. He knows the ins and outs of the SFA. More importantly he is the go to guy when SPFL managers want information on a young Scottish player as he knows most of them at elite level.

we are hibs
05-02-2018, 08:15 AM
and?

McCoist was a rookie and remained one when he walked into a firestorm at Ibrox.

Scott Gemmill has ran the U16s, U19s and U21s at National level. He knows the ins and outs of the SFA. More importantly he is the go to guy when SPFL managers want information on a young Scottish player as he knows most of them at elite level.

And it's a ***** idea.managers should be there on merit after proving themselves at the highest level. Not rookie youth team managers.

AndyM_1875
05-02-2018, 08:17 AM
And it's a ***** idea.managers should be there on merit after proving themselves at the highest level. Not rookie youth team managers.

Aye whatever.

lapsedhibee
05-02-2018, 08:19 AM

Think if Hearts finish bottom six Potter might become available. Can the national team wait that long though.

hibbysam
05-02-2018, 08:20 AM
How much was he paid through the illegal EBTs?

That make any difference to his ability as a football manager?

Velma Dinkley
05-02-2018, 08:22 AM
That make any difference to his integrity as a football manager?.

Hibbyradge
05-02-2018, 08:24 AM
Aye whatever.

He's right.

A person specification has to be drawn up before recruitment begins.

It will detail the essential and desirable criteria that the candidate should meet.

Experience of managing senior professionals, an ability to spot talent, experience in European and WC competitions, respected by club managers etc etc.

It's easy for fans to pluck a popular name out if the air. It's another thing to employ someone on a 4 year contract worth multi millions of pounds.

Peevemor
05-02-2018, 08:29 AM
A sign of ambition would be nice.

Ireland appointed Trappatoni back in 2008. A manager of a similar pedigree, outside the SFA establishment old boys would inspire the fans and the players.

Walter Smith is not the answer.

Berti Vogts?

Borderhibbie76
05-02-2018, 08:38 AM
Why would the SFA still be interested in LD this week? The game against the Thes was on Saturday. :confused:Exactly it's a while till we play either of the uglies again so those rumours about LD and Lennon go back into cold storage

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

WhileTheChief..
05-02-2018, 08:40 AM

Valid point, plus we had the audacity to win so automatically puts a black mark against her name.

Aye, Regan timed his departure to coincide with the Rangers Hibs game so that LD could be linked with the job in the Record and Sun therefore destabilising Hibs in order to help Rangers win?

That’s what you’re saying right?!

In no way is that a valid point!!

Hiber-nation
05-02-2018, 08:54 AM
Good old Walter. They could maybe get Lee McCulloch and Alex Rae in there as his assistants just to complete the picture.

Thecat23
05-02-2018, 08:57 AM
If true I hope Scotland lose every game and fail to get anywhere. That’s the only way we’ll finally see real change when these clowns stop going for dinosaurs like Smith.

My interest in Scotland is almost zero as it is this would end it. What a shambles of a country we are when it comes to the national game.

IGRIGI
05-02-2018, 09:05 AM
Good old Walter. They could maybe get Lee McCulloch and Alex Rae in there as his assistants just to complete the picture.

Won't be complete until we have Barry the Crab giving everyone the V's again from the dugout.

lapsedhibee
05-02-2018, 09:06 AM
Aye, Regan timed his departure to coincide with the Rangers Hibs game

No, not that bit.

so that LD could be linked with the job in the Record and Sun therefore destabilising Hibs in order to help Rangers win?

Yes, that bit.

vuefrom1875
05-02-2018, 09:10 AM

Oh ma sides😂. ..Let's get a dinosaur oot o retirement.

Coco Bryce
05-02-2018, 09:18 AM
If true I hope Scotland lose every game and fail to get anywhere. That’s the only way we’ll finally see real change when these clowns stop going for dinosaurs like Smith.

My interest in Scotland is almost zero as it is this would end it. What a shambles of a country we are when it comes to the national game.

This.

Couldn't have put it better myself TC :greengrin

Ozyhibby
05-02-2018, 09:29 AM

If you have criticisms of the SFA then it’s hard to exclude Petrie. He is the main man there even if officially Macrae is president. Macrae apparently just enjoys collecting the air miles.
Besides, criticising Petrie is not anti Hibs. It’s the opposite in my opinion.
I’ve no problem with Lennon and Dempster.

ED Hibee
05-02-2018, 09:38 AM
Jobs for the boys. How can anyone think that Walter Smith has the vision to take the National team forward in Scotland? There are a lot of positive things happening in Scottish football at the moment but the SFA are resolute in trying to take the game backwards.

Time For Heroes
05-02-2018, 09:40 AM
He's right.

A person specification has to be drawn up before recruitment begins.

It will detail the essential and desirable criteria that the candidate should meet.

Experience of managing senior professionals, an ability to spot talent, experience in European and WC competitions, respected by club managers etc etc.

It's easy for fans to pluck a popular name out if the air. It's another thing to employ someone on a 4 year contract worth multi millions of pounds.

I don't disagree with you but isn't Southgate an example of a National manager who worked his way through the youth setup at national level, plus IIRC relatively unsuccessful as a manager?
I couldn't comment on Gemmill as I don't know enough about him but surely it's an avenue worth exploring?

DarlingtonHibee
05-02-2018, 09:43 AM
Terrible thing to say but don't care about the national team now, especially when clowns like Craig brown, chick dung and wally are involved or giving media.

hibsbollah
05-02-2018, 09:45 AM
Stuart MCcall is now available I see. Could be a Hun dream team double act.

Moody Blues
05-02-2018, 09:46 AM

You are spot on Greenday.

I know that everyone is entitled to there opinions but as you said some folk just seem to whine about everything to do with Hibs, and if you question there comments you are accused of being a jambo

BegbieHSC
05-02-2018, 09:47 AM
I couldn't walk away from the National team (I'm no a hun, and walking away isn't my thing), but Jesus Christ - they don't half make it tempting.

Peevemor
05-02-2018, 09:55 AM
This Petrie stuff is pathetic.

At ER

Anything good = Dempster
Anything bad = Petrie

At SFA

Anything good (pyramid system, disciplinary process...) = Not Petrie
Anything bad = Petrie

It's like a scratched record.

Dashing Bob S
05-02-2018, 09:58 AM
Fifth world football nation. This should have the status of a Derek Riordan ‘does anybody think he still do a job for us thread’ but in SFA jokeland it’s a viable proposition.

Dashing Bob S
05-02-2018, 09:59 AM

At ER

Anything good = Dempster
Anything bad = Petrie

At SFA

Anything bad = Petrie

Petrie’s Sinead O’Connor performance on the cup final video redeemed him the eyes of many.

Ozyhibby
05-02-2018, 10:11 AM

At ER

Anything good = Dempster
Anything bad = Petrie

At SFA

Anything bad = Petrie

Is that all the good things you could think of that the SFA are achieving? I’m not even sure what’s good about the disciplinary process? Rangers case regarding their fraudulent application for a license to play in Europe in 2011 was referred to the compliance officer months ago and it appears to have disappeared.
Petrie is running Scottish football as badly as he ran Hibs before Leeann arrived.

Peevemor
05-02-2018, 10:20 AM
Is that all the good things you could think of that the SFA are achieving? I’m not even sure what’s good about the disciplinary process? Rangers case regarding their fraudulent application for a license to play in Europe in 2011 was referred to the compliance officer months ago and it appears to have disappeared.

To be honest, I don't really follow who controls what these days between the SFA & the SPFL. In saying that the pyramid system is a huge change that has seemed obvious for as long as I can remember.

Petrie is running Scottish football as badly as he ran Hibs before Leeann arrived.

Did she just magically arrive or did someone approach and appoint her? Petrie has more clout at ER than he has at the SFA, but you seem to be convinced that he has nothing to do with the good stuff at Hibs but is to blame for the SFA's failings.

ian cruise
05-02-2018, 10:28 AM
Aye, Regan timed his departure to coincide with the Rangers Hibs game so that LD could be linked with the job in the Record and Sun therefore destabilising Hibs in order to help Rangers win?

That’s what you’re saying right?!

In no way is that a valid point!!

I wasn't being entirely serious. I could genuinely imagine the SFA would be interested in speaking to Leeanne purely down to how well she's done in her last two roles, she's earned to right to be in consideration for bigger, or at lest better paid, jobs.

That said the papers would have been rubbing their hands in glee at the timing and even if she wasn't being linked, would have ran a story anyway because in the week of Hibs vs Rangers its a great way to create controversy and sell papers.

delbert
05-02-2018, 10:45 AM
If this is true, it’s a good indication of how much change Petrie and Co have in mind at the SFA.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180205/cd7ee70655c8abb398c541f5da1279e0.jpg

Let’s just go the whole hog and appoint Jock Stein’s coffin !!

givescotlandfreedom
05-02-2018, 10:46 AM
I'm not really bothered who gets it as long as they leave Hibs alone.

AgentDaleCooper
05-02-2018, 10:49 AM
My main hope is that this puts LD off going for their CEO post. If so, then great appointment rodders :aok:

Billy Whizz
05-02-2018, 10:50 AM
Can only see it as a short term appt, until they get the right person on

Oscar T Grouch
05-02-2018, 10:51 AM
Shirley they should appoint a CEO before they appoint a manager, both have to work closely together and you'd assume the CEO would have the final say on the managers post?

Velma Dinkley
05-02-2018, 11:02 AM
Why bother with a CEO? Apparently the vice president is in charge anyway? :greengrin

Diclonius
05-02-2018, 11:03 AM
You can't get more "old guard" than Walter Smith. A joke.

ian cruise
05-02-2018, 11:20 AM
Shirley they should appoint a CEO before they appoint a manager, both have to work closely together and you'd assume the CEO would have the final say on the managers post?

100%, why would you want to be CEO knowing one of the most important decisions is being g made before you get a chance to have a say in the matter.

Curried
05-02-2018, 11:33 AM
More fake news and deflection from Jabba.....Probably still trying to cover up the porkies sold about the Morellos bid.
Anyhoo, for a wee bit of context, it's nice to look at Wally's comment's about bailing from the Scotland job in 2008:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2007/jan/10/newsstory.sport5

blackpoolhibs
05-02-2018, 11:36 AM
Maybe its just me, but if he is appointed, i hope he does well, and we qualify for the next tournament.

I'm a Scotland fan and want us to win, it's like Hibs appointing a manager you don't want, and hoping we lose.

****in mad.

It's funny how those who say they dont give a toss about Scotland, seem to get their frillies in a twist whenever a new man is linked?

ian cruise
05-02-2018, 11:42 AM
Maybe its just me, but if he is appointed, i hope he does well, and we qualify for the next tournament.

I'm a Scotland fan and want us to win, it's like Hibs appointing a manager you don't want, and hoping we lose.

****in mad.

It's funny how those who say they dont give a toss about Scotland, seem to get their frillies in a twist whenever a new man is linked?

I don't want him to fail but I fail to see how he'll possibly succeed unfortunately.

GreenNWhiteArmy
05-02-2018, 11:49 AM

****in mad.

Spot on

cleanyman
05-02-2018, 11:49 AM
No one is better.

Sad fact but he's got to be a better option than Gary Caldwell?

Beefster
05-02-2018, 11:52 AM
No one is better.

My Auntie Agnes is a better option that Gary ****ing Caldwell.

GillyHibee
05-02-2018, 11:53 AM
Need someone who is open minded and not influenced by the Old Firm. Someone who knows the Scottish International players and can tell the difference from playing week-in-week-out to bench warming in the English Championship and doesn't abide by the "auld pals act".

Ozyhibby
05-02-2018, 11:55 AM
No one is better.

No one is better?

IWasThere2016
05-02-2018, 12:05 PM

****in mad.

This.

IWasThere2016
05-02-2018, 12:06 PM
100%, why would you want to be CEO knowing one of the most important decisions is being g made before you get a chance to have a say in the matter.

Alarmingly told RP and McRae defended and wanted Regan to stay

Oscar T Grouch
05-02-2018, 12:10 PM
No one is better.

In terms of former managers McLeish has a better record than WS, he's available and he's not retired either.

I would like to see us employing a younger person for the job, Clarke's turnaround at Killie is something else and according to the Killie players, he keeps things simple, you find this is a good tactic with footballers :greengrin

cleanyman
05-02-2018, 12:11 PM
No one is better?

Top manager is Walter.

green day
05-02-2018, 12:20 PM
If you have criticisms of the SFA then it’s hard to exclude Petrie. He is the main man there even if officially Macrae is president. Macrae apparently just enjoys collecting the air miles.
Besides, criticising Petrie is not anti Hibs. It’s the opposite in my opinion.
I’ve no problem with Lennon and Dempster.

I know your not a Petrie fan and that's fine, he certainly divides opinion!

I was just reacting to a number of very negative posts on other threads - some in the last 24 hours - when we have had two great (in the circumstances) results this week and should be delighted IMO.

We could easily be 6 points worse off, next match v Aberdeen and this place would be in ****** meltdown.

As it is, we are doing well but the criticism still comes for Lennon and Dempster (not from you).

I have spent a lot of cash following Scotland - to 2 world cups - but these days Ijust can't get overexcited about it.

They could put Petrie in charge of team selection as far as I'm concerned.......as long as Hibs keep on trucking 😁

Ozyhibby
05-02-2018, 12:21 PM
Top manager is Walter.

Difficult to say given the financial advantage he had over everyone else due to not having to pay tax on his players wages. Meant the had a 40% advantage over Celtic. He didn’t do to well at Everton.

cleanyman
05-02-2018, 12:22 PM
Difficult to say given the financial advantage he had over everyone else due to not having to pay tax on his players wages. Meant the had a 40% advantage over Celtic. He didn’t do to well at Everton.

Nonsense.

If that was the case he wouldn't have done a reasonable job with Scotland when we were at our lowest ebb.

Are we going to be saying the same about Rodgers in a few years time?

cleanyman
05-02-2018, 12:23 PM
Get Sir Walter back in

Ozyhibby
05-02-2018, 12:25 PM
Nonsense.

If that was the case he wouldn't have done a reasonable job with Scotland when we were at our lowest ebb.

Are we going to be saying the same about Rodgers in a few years time?

Rodgers has had success without having the highest budget in the land. His teams at Swansea and Liverpool out performed their budget.
Smith has never managed that.

I'm Spartacus
05-02-2018, 12:28 PM
Just when you think we can't ****** this up any more than we currently are.

pacoluna
05-02-2018, 12:33 PM
Please no 😠

pacoluna
05-02-2018, 12:35 PM
Alan Stubbs.

😂

The Harp Awakes
05-02-2018, 12:36 PM

FFS.

So we are looking to appoint a guy who has been retired for 7 years and in his last association with Scotland, walked out on us at a vital time to join Rangers.

What a bunch of clowns the SFA are. A total shambles.

KeithTheHibby
05-02-2018, 12:42 PM
Can someone give me a good reason as to why not Walter Smith? He was an excellent manager.

Nameless
05-02-2018, 12:44 PM
[emoji23]I'd take ANYONE over Walter Smith, even Cathro.

pacoluna
05-02-2018, 12:46 PM
Can someone give me a good reason as to why not Walter Smith? He was an excellent manager.

He's been retired for 8 year, walked out on Scotland mid qualification to join rangers, he's a dinosaur. why replace Strachan with Walter it makes no sense. The SFA needs a clean out from top to bottom, hiring Smith is just a lazy quite frankly **** appointment that doesn't take the long term revamp that's needed into account.

Ozyhibby
05-02-2018, 12:46 PM

He’s 70 years old and not worked in 7 years. He already had the job once and walked out half way through a qualifying campaign. He participated in the EBT scandal at Rangers which is the biggest example of cheating seen in Scottish football.
Apart from that he’s the ideal candidate.

The Modfather
05-02-2018, 01:07 PM

No idea if that’s true but very plausible. The SFA, including Petrie, is the epitome of the old boys network. We’ll one day succeed and qualify for tournaments in spite of those dinasaurs.

One Day Soon
05-02-2018, 01:09 PM
My Auntie Agnes is a better option that Gary ****ing Caldwell.

Is she interested and is she available?

Deansy
05-02-2018, 01:23 PM
Uncle Waldo - despise the man !. Bumps Scotland (doing well in the 'Euro 2008 qualifiers) to return to 'Satan's 11' knowing full well that they were cheating with the EBT's - sorry but **** him, afaic he's **** !

KeithTheHibby
05-02-2018, 01:31 PM
He's been retired for 8 year, walked out on Scotland mid qualification to join rangers, he's a dinosaur. why replace Strachan with Walter it makes no sense. The SFA needs a clean out from top to bottom, hiring Smith is just a lazy quite frankly **** appointment that doesn't take the long term revamp that's needed into account.

Ok so who else?

KeithTheHibby
05-02-2018, 01:32 PM
He’s 70 years old and not worked in 7 years. He already had the job once and walked out half way through a qualifying campaign. He participated in the EBT scandal at Rangers which is the biggest example of cheating seen in Scottish football.
Apart from that he’s the ideal candidate.

Ok so who else?

Curried
05-02-2018, 02:12 PM
Is Sally still no still looking for a job, after the garden break:-)

Thecat23
05-02-2018, 02:16 PM
Ok so who else?

Steve Clark for me.

HoboHarry
05-02-2018, 02:18 PM
Ok so who else?
Jurgen Klinsmann?

Thecat23
05-02-2018, 02:20 PM
Jurgen Klinsmann?

Not a bad shout that.

Gordy M
05-02-2018, 02:22 PM
Steve Clark for me.

Stev Clark has ruled himself out on a few ocassions now. Doesnt want it unfortunately.

Hibbyradge
05-02-2018, 02:29 PM
I don't disagree with you but isn't Southgate an example of a National manager who worked his way through the youth setup at national level, plus IIRC relatively unsuccessful as a manager?
I couldn't comment on Gemmill as I don't know enough about him but surely it's an avenue worth exploring?

I'm happy for them to consider anyone, but they do need a minimum person specification. Whether Gemmill meets that or not, I have no idea.

I don't know how England decided on their appointment, but Southgate had played in European Championships and World Cups so he had experience at that level.

CMurdoch
05-02-2018, 02:33 PM
Steve Clark for me.

He is the flavour of the month.
Mulumbo can't play for us and he can't sign anyone.

I thought Strachan was the right guy. Experienced, Players liked him and he was up for it.
We still suffer from not having a world class player and that won't change no matter who the manager is.
Look at the way Wales folded at the end of their World Cup campaign after losing Bale.

Who ever gets the job this time is getting it at the right time as I think we are almost nailed on to make the next Euro's.
Would be happy with Clarke supported by Gemmil.

Ardenttwo
05-02-2018, 02:44 PM
I'm happy for them to consider anyone, but they do need a minimum person specification. Whether Gemmill meets that or not, I have no idea.

I don't know how England decided on their appointment, but Southgate had played in European Championships and World Cups so he had experience at that level.

Quite honestly I could not give a flying f***who is Scotland’s manager. I am more concerned that Lennon has been mentioned for the Leeds job Hope it’s crap

Thecat23
05-02-2018, 02:47 PM
He is the flavour of the month.
Mulumbo can't play for us and he can't sign anyone.

I thought Strachan was the right guy. Experienced, Players liked him and he was up for it.
We still suffer from not having a world class player and that won't change no matter who the manager is.
Look at the way Wales folded at the end of their World Cup campaign after losing Bale.

Who ever gets the job this time is getting it at the right time as I think we are almost nailed on to make the next Euro's.
Would be happy with Clarke supported by Gemmil.

Strachan played his pals and picked ridiculous teams at times. I’d say Clark is more than flavour of the month. But as another poster has just pointed out seems he doesn’t want it.

Curried
05-02-2018, 02:49 PM
I’ll do it…. Christ, how hard can it be at the international level!

Scan the stats for the Championship in England (maybe watch a few vids), then pick 2 blokes in each of the 11 standard positions, and tell a random selection of these pairs to go out and “enjoy it”. I’ll happily trouser 10K/year for that, and even throw in a bit of media fawning for nout.

Perhaps the SFA could take the net deficit in my salary to Gogs’s and invest it in developing the Scottish game at the kids level :-0

Ozyhibby
05-02-2018, 02:50 PM
Ok so who else?

In world football I’m sure there will be lots of candidates. Who the manager is is not really what’s wrong with the SFA though.

Famous Fiver
05-02-2018, 02:54 PM
Nice wee retirement pot top up for Walter.

Hand over the reins in a few months and trouser a nice wee profit.

Will help with the winter tan.

CMurdoch
05-02-2018, 02:57 PM
Strachan played his pals and picked ridiculous teams at times. I’d say Clark is more than flavour of the month. But as another poster has just pointed out seems he doesn’t want it.

It's a great job loadsa money for watching games and fielding a team 6 times a year. Combine that with low expectation at the moment and the easier format for qualifying for the Euro's and you have a winning formula.

leggeto
05-02-2018, 03:01 PM

Id go for Steve Clarke, he has shown already what a good manager he can be,whether he'd accept it though is another mater

HoboHarry
05-02-2018, 03:01 PM
Not a bad shout that.
Just not sure he would want to give up California for Glasgow. Sure as hell I wouldn't.........

Haymaker
05-02-2018, 03:34 PM
Just not sure he would want to give up California for Glasgow. Sure as hell I wouldn't.........

He used to commute from CA when he was Germany manager I believe so he'd defo be staying in the sun

Northernhibee
05-02-2018, 03:57 PM
Ok so who else?

Di Matteo out of the question? Did well at Chelsea before being undermined. Wages maybe an issue but been out of work for a little bit would bring fresh ideas.

Del Boy
05-02-2018, 04:11 PM
If Scotland appoint Walter Smith that’ll be it for me with international football.

Onion
05-02-2018, 04:15 PM
Nice wee retirement pot top up for Walter.

Hand over the reins in a few months and trouser a nice wee profit.

Will help with the winter tan.

Nepotism alive and well within the SFA. Shirley, even those plums couldn't try give the job to Uncle Walt ? He's a dinosaur who's completely out of touch with the game and reality. Clarke or Lennon got to be the best alternative to ONeil.

jax67
05-02-2018, 04:16 PM
All the players he picks will be retired 😳

MrSmith
05-02-2018, 04:18 PM
An absolute joke of an appointment if it goes ahead! It just shows you that the SFA are still on fo the jobs for the boys! Scandalous! If he is selected, I am done with Scotland!

Diclonius
05-02-2018, 04:29 PM
If Walter Smith takes charge of Scotland then we can kiss goodbye to any Scotland-based non-OF player featuring in the squad ever again. They won't exist.

CMurdoch
05-02-2018, 04:41 PM
Smith won't get it. Too old.
I can see it being McLeish who is about the right age, 59. I don't rate him.
Uninspiring.

ancient hibee
05-02-2018, 05:01 PM
There’s no point in employing someone used to working with high quality players.It needs to be a coach who can take ordinary players and make them hard to beat.

lapsedhibee
05-02-2018, 05:08 PM
There’s no point in employing someone used to working with high quality players.It needs to be a coach who can take ordinary players and make them hard to beat. Potter then?

ekhibee
05-02-2018, 05:12 PM

I totally get what you're saying, and you're certainly not the only one using that example of Southgate, but remember he originally turned the job down after Woy was sacked and they offered it to Allardyce, then he came back on board, maybe they offered him more dosh. As you say, he did have plenty of experience from a playing perspective.

ancient hibee
05-02-2018, 05:24 PM
Potter then?
Great idea .

Callyballybe
05-02-2018, 05:26 PM
Disappointed Clarke isn't interested. Would've been a good choice.

Yeah, Smith is a bit of a dinosaur. But to be honest, probably could do worse at this point than give him a shot.

I thought McLeish would've gotten it by now, he seemed interested enough. But appears to have gone quiet on that front as well.

Will we ever see a light at the end of the tunnel for the national team again?.....

greenlex
05-02-2018, 05:27 PM
Have the SFA not learned their lesson. Why are they publicly chasing the next manager again after the Michael O’ Neill debacle. ****ing amateurs.

aarsan
05-02-2018, 05:29 PM
Booked to go to Budapest for Hungary game, but afraid that will be my last one until the whole SFA is cleared out.

pacoluna
05-02-2018, 05:31 PM
How can you go from Michael O'Neill to Walter bloody Smith!

Gregor
05-02-2018, 05:47 PM
Di Matteo out of the question? Did well at Chelsea before being undermined. Wages maybe an issue but been out of work for a little bit would bring fresh ideas.

SFA would cock that up and offer it to Dominic Matteo instead.

Can't help but think the only person who really wants it, and is qualified, is Strachan. Walter Waistcoat ; aye fine but if I was being cynical, I'd say it's just seethers getting all upset about this weekend, aiming daggers at Murty and looking for Walter to dust off his navy suit and brogues one last time. Big Eck - if he was ever a candidate - would have been offered it by now.

Hi Heid Yin
05-02-2018, 06:03 PM
So the dinosaurs at the SFA are going for another dinosaur in Walter Smith.
This tired, instransigent jobs-for-the-boys club needs to be carted off and retired to a remote pasture and replaced with fresh young blood with a dynamic world view of football and the energy to lead and take our footballing backwater into a new era.
:grr:

Dashing Bob S
05-02-2018, 06:04 PM
This sums up this country under the union, a second rate hovel run by decades of fat Labour Daily Record Masonic no marks. Can’t believe we’d accept such mediocrity if we truly had to take responsibility for ourselves. No other country would seriously consider Smith.

Pretty Boy
05-02-2018, 06:18 PM
Are we really to believe in the entire world of football there isn't anyone within Scotlands price range who isn't as qualified as Walter Smith? Maybe even better?

He was a good manager in his day but he's been retired for 7 years FFS. This just screams either desperation or lack of imagination. Or more likely, both.

G B Young
05-02-2018, 06:18 PM
My lack of passion for, or even interest in the national team is something I'm happy to admit to, but even I'm stunned by what a clueless organisation the SFA are if they're seriously considering asking Smith to come out of retirement.

eastcoasthibby
05-02-2018, 06:32 PM

Hope she digs her heels in makes sure he stays retired, that would be a real gift to her hubby and even more for Scottish national football.

greenginger
05-02-2018, 06:53 PM
Another candidate for the SFA shortlist :greengrin

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42944703

GreenNWhiteArmy
05-02-2018, 06:57 PM
I'd rather Sir Alex was used if we're gonna go down the route of experience with a younger coach like Gemmill

At this rate it's gonna be the duo from chewin the fat!

SirDavidsNapper
05-02-2018, 06:59 PM
My lack of passion for, or even interest in the national team is something I'm happy to admit to, but even I'm stunned by what a clueless organisation the SFA are if they're seriously considering asking Smith to come out of retirement.

Im in the same boat. Id stop international football now if i could. Still cant help cringing a bit the SFA didn't have a plan B after O'Neil.

Vini1875
05-02-2018, 07:06 PM
I hope Watty gets it and they stop talking about Lennie. Add in some other dinosaur for CEO and I'll be delighted for them to stop going on about the "lassie" at Easter Road.

WoreTheGreen
05-02-2018, 07:08 PM
I'd rather Sir Alex was used if we're gonna go down the route of experience with a younger coach like Gemmill

At this rate it's gonna be the duo from chewin the fat!

Ohhh the glesgie banter

Colr
05-02-2018, 07:23 PM
Wait a while and they could get David Moyes.

Just Alf
05-02-2018, 07:25 PM
Im in the same boat. Id stop international football now if i could. Still cant help cringing a bit the SFA didn't have a plan B after O'Neil.The one big reason I had left for us not to disband the Scottish leagues and amalgamate in a UK league was the probable loss of the national team... For me that at least is no longer an issue.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Is It On....
05-02-2018, 07:29 PM

Back to the future.. absolutely brutal..just like LD being ruled out by some because she was once a Rangers season ticket holder..give me strength, that team doesn't even exist today 🙄🙄

Beefster
05-02-2018, 07:31 PM

That was all over the press the day after Regan left.

Is she interested and is she available?

Yup but mainly because it'll guarantee Hibs cup final tickets for her and her sister. She also says that she can't do Wednesday evening or Saturday afternoon games because it's the big prize games at the bingo.

Depends on how much the SFA want her by the sounds of it.

Keith_M
05-02-2018, 07:31 PM
My lack of passion for, or even interest in the national team is something I'm happy to admit to....

And yet you manage to comment on it at every opportunity, to remind us, presumably, of what a great Unionist you are.

OK, we get it.

Is It On....
05-02-2018, 07:33 PM
I hope Watty gets it and they stop talking about Lennie. Add in some other dinosaur for CEO and I'll be delighted for them to stop going on about the "lassie" at Easter Road.

There is only one Watty and he is the lead singer of Edinburgh "pop" band The Exploited!! A bit left field [he is a Jambo] but at least there would be loads of passion 😎

HoboHarry
05-02-2018, 07:34 PM
Wait a while and they could get David Moyes.
Alan Pardew and Sam Allardyce anaw......

The Harp Awakes
05-02-2018, 07:40 PM
If Scotland appoint Walter Smith that’ll be it for me with international football.

Yip, me too. Used to love going to Scotland games. Had some memorable away trips especially, even though we rarely won. My interest is hanging by a thread now due to the clowns running our national game. If the traitor makes a return that will enough for me to bolt.

delbert
05-02-2018, 09:32 PM
How can you go from Michael O'Neill to Walter bloody Smith!

If the SFA are approaching Walter Smith, let’s hope it’s roughly from behind !!!

Willis1875
05-02-2018, 09:37 PM
Yogi Hughes has thrown his hat in 😂

SquashedFrogg
05-02-2018, 09:42 PM

Some people can't wait. Really sad.

ancient hibee
05-02-2018, 09:56 PM
Another candidate for the SFA shortlist :greengrin

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42944703

Walter Smith eh! Maybe someone should start a thread about it.

Paisley Hibby
05-02-2018, 11:02 PM
I'm not really bothered who gets it as long as they leave Hibs alone.

Yip, same here. I'm not in the slightest bit interested in the national team. And I hate international breaks -waste of a weekend.

Hi Heid Yin
05-02-2018, 11:06 PM
Yip, same here. I'm not in the slightest bit interested in the national team. And I hate international breaks -waste of a weekend.

And there was me thinking I was alone in feeling this way about Scotland.
:agree::agree:

JimBHibees
06-02-2018, 06:33 AM

You watch the Scottish rugby team though why the difference?

Onion
06-02-2018, 07:54 AM
Have the SFA not learned their lesson. Why are they publicly chasing the next manager again after the Michael O’ Neill debacle. ****ing amateurs.

Order of events for the SFA should be :

1. recruit a competent CEO (eg Leanne)
2. Re-approach Michael O'Neill. Apologise for Stewart Regan, arguably the most incompetent buffoon to run the SFA, and plead with MO to give us another chance.

PeeKay
06-02-2018, 08:36 AM
Suggestion on last night's Sportsound - Craig Brown for Scotland manager. Not so crazy as it sounds when you think that he was more successful with Scotland than Smith, and he has more recent experience of club management with Aberdeen.

bingo70
06-02-2018, 09:34 AM
Not exactly the most innovative of appointments however Walter Smith is an absolutely terrific manager. There’s nobody that dislikes Rangers more than me however there’s no denying he’s clearly a very good manager. I don’t think it really matters he’s been retired a few years as he’s obviously kept a very keen interest in the game, a few years off may even have energised him a bit.

With no chief executive in place a safe pair of hands, probably on a short term contract is a sensible move at this time imo. I’d hope there’s succession planning in place, possibly with Scotland Gemmil as his assistant.

Wouldn’t have been my first choice but I think he’s probably the most sensible, if not exciting, option available.

Ozyhibby
06-02-2018, 09:42 AM
Not exactly the most innovative of appointments however Walter Smith is an absolutely terrific manager. There’s nobody that dislikes Rangers more than me however there’s no denying he’s clearly a very good manager. I don’t think it really matters he’s been retired a few years as he’s obviously kept a very keen interest in the game, a few years off may even have energised him a bit.

With no chief executive in place a safe pair of hands, probably on a short term contract is a sensible move at this time imo. I’d hope there’s succession planning in place, possibly with Scotland Gemmil as his assistant.

Wouldn’t have been my first choice but I think he’s probably the most sensible, if not exciting, option available.

What type of organisation would appoint a key manager before appointing the chief exec? It’s basically Petrie who is going to be making this appointment and we know how good he is at picking managers.

Peevemor
06-02-2018, 09:44 AM
What type of organisation would appoint a key manager before appointing the chief exec? It’s basically Petrie who is going to be making this appointment and we know how good he is at picking managers.

:blah::blah::blah::rolleyes::yawn:

Famous Fiver
06-02-2018, 09:46 AM
Sounds as if the Chelsea manager could soon be available.

Wonder if he would be interested?

lucky
06-02-2018, 09:52 AM
Walter Smith being considered just shows Regan was not the only problem at the SFA. They continually make our National sport a laughing stock. FFS the mans been out of football for 7 years.

JimBHibees
06-02-2018, 09:59 AM

Would be a committee not Petrie.

bingo70
06-02-2018, 10:03 AM

It could take months to appoint a chief executive. I think people in such positions normally have to give fairly large notice periods as well. One the new chief executive is appointed they’ll need to get their feet under the table and we don’t want to be starting the process of finding a new manager from scratch.

We need a new manager in quicker than that.

Imo the sensible option here is find a safe pair of hands for the short term and when the new chief executive is appointed let them be looking in the background for a more innovative and exciting longer term option

Ozyhibby
06-02-2018, 10:27 AM
It could take months to appoint a chief executive. I think people in such positions normally have to give fairly large notice periods as well. One the new chief executive is appointed they’ll need to get their feet under the table and we don’t want to be starting the process of finding a new manager from scratch.

We need a new manager in quicker than that.

Imo the sensible option here is find a safe pair of hands for the short term and when the new chief executive is appointed let them be looking in the background for a more innovative and exciting longer term option

In the mean time walter has managed to inflate the value of the Sevco squad by handing them all Scotland caps.

Tornadoes70
06-02-2018, 10:47 AM
Some folk have inadvertently jumped onto the hunyam press agenda bandwagon of attempting to blame our Rod Petrie for just about anything negative that happens at the SFA before he's had the chance to take over control of the organisation in my opinion.

mon the cabbage!!!

bingo70
06-02-2018, 10:53 AM
In the mean time walter has managed to inflate the value of the Sevco squad by handing them all Scotland caps.

Not entirely sure if you’re being serious or not so apologies if this is a whoosh moment however I always find that argument a bit silly. Right now, and certainly when he managed Scotland before rangers are above us and most other teams in the league so it stands to reason they have some of the best Scottish players.

I think I’d rather Rangers players in the Scotland squad than searching through the lower leagues in England looking for someone who’s drank a can of irn bru once and considers anything north of Carlisle the highlands.

--------
06-02-2018, 10:57 AM
Why should Smith's age be a problem? Roy Hodgson's doing OK at Crystal Palace.

I wouldn't see him as a long-term prospect but in view of the need to appoint a replacement for Ray-gone it might make sense to put Smith in charge as interim.

But PLEASE - no wantin' Grandpaw Broon! Jist gonnae no?

Ozyhibby
06-02-2018, 11:42 AM
Not entirely sure if you’re being serious or not so apologies if this is a whoosh moment however I always find that argument a bit silly. Right now, and certainly when he managed Scotland before rangers are above us and most other teams in the league so it stands to reason they have some of the best Scottish players.

I think I’d rather Rangers players in the Scotland squad than searching through the lower leagues in England looking for someone who’s drank a can of irn bru once and considers anything north of Carlisle the highlands.

There are a few reasons I don’t want Smith but some of them don’t relate to his ability to do the job. The problems that need fixed at the SFA are much bigger than who the next manager is though. The fact we are going for him is just a symptom of those problems.
Even Petrie being president would not be such a big deal if the right structure was in place below that.
The way it’s run just now, there is not one thing the SFA are doing that they could say the we’re doing it successfully.

bingo70
06-02-2018, 11:51 AM
There are a few reasons I don’t want Smith but some of them don’t relate to his ability to do the job. The problems that need fixed at the SFA are much bigger than who the next manager is though. The fact we are going for him is just a symptom of those problems.
Even Petrie being president would not be such a big deal if the right structure was in place below that.
The way it’s run just now, there is not one thing the SFA are doing that they could say the we’re doing it successfully.

I don’t really disagree but I think there needs to be recognition that changes at the top won’t happen over night and we can’t just go without a manager in the interim period.

Out of interest, how long do you think it’d take to ‘fix the sfa’ and what would you do about a manager in the interim period?

Speedy
06-02-2018, 12:12 PM
I'm content enough with Walter Smith as I think he's capable of doing a good job.

There are three broad categories that we could pick from; 1) hopeless 2) up and comer who will move on at the first hint of success 3) old, been there done it and happy to settle down to a less demanding job

Zazu62
06-02-2018, 12:18 PM
Who else is there? Actually think it would be a decent appointment not that I actually give a ****

Ozyhibby
06-02-2018, 12:43 PM
I don’t really disagree but I think there needs to be recognition that changes at the top won’t happen over night and we can’t just go without a manager in the interim period.

Out of interest, how long do you think it’d take to ‘fix the sfa’ and what would you do about a manager in the interim period?

I don’t even think that fixing the SFA is on the agenda of those who are currently in charge. They like it fine the way it is.
There is more than 6 months before Scotland has a competitive fixture, surely it won’t take that long to bring in a CEO?

Velma Dinkley
06-02-2018, 12:54 PM
Away from the club renowned for cheating more than any other club in the history of British sport, I think Walter Smith won one thing - the Kirin cup. Smith was in the thick of the cheating at Rangers. He benefited greatly from it and is outraged that there were even minimal consequences for his beloved Rangers. Appointing him to lead our national team is not the kind of 'moving on' Scottish football fans deserve.

blackpoolhibs
06-02-2018, 01:53 PM
Walter Smith being considered just shows Regan was not the only problem at the SFA. They continually make our National sport a laughing stock. FFS the mans been out of football for 7 years.

It doesn't stop all of us having an opinion on new appointments, tactics, shape and team selection, and virtually none of us have ever been in football?

hhibs
06-02-2018, 03:58 PM
Away from the club renowned for cheating more than any other club in the history of British sport, I think Walter Smith won one thing - the Kirin cup. Smith was in the thick of the cheating at Rangers. He benefited greatly from it and is outraged that there were even minimal consequences for his beloved Rangers. Appointing him to lead our national team is not the kind of 'moving on' Scottish football fans deserve.

Absolutely.

hhibs
06-02-2018, 04:03 PM
Smith won't get it. Too old.
I can see it being McLeish who is about the right age, 59. I don't rate him.
Uninspiring.

Everytime I have seen him on tv recently he has looked "unwell" to me.

Ozyhibby
06-02-2018, 04:11 PM
Maybe Smith has a big EBT tax bill looming. Ally will no doubt be there with him again. Real Rangers men starting to set up camp at the top of the SFA again.

IGRIGI
06-02-2018, 04:20 PM
At least his 5-4-1 formation is a step up from Potter's 4-6

Malthibby
06-02-2018, 05:05 PM

Complete and utter Blazer-wearing Hun Dinosaur (Smith, not you....).
I truly despair at the prospect of heading back to the Jurassic; The SFA are barely out of the Paleozoic. And his team aren't even close.
Gawd no.

Hi Heid Yin
06-02-2018, 05:08 PM

:top marks:agree::agree::agree::agree::agree:

jgl07
06-02-2018, 05:17 PM

It could be worse.

They could bring back Craig Brown!

Gordy M
06-02-2018, 05:21 PM
Why does it always have to be some sprt of conspiracy?? I speak to hearts fans at work who think the whole of scottish football and the governing bodies are against them. Petrie runs the sfa and Lawell runs the Spl, and with LD being quoted for the job there then its a big conspiracy against rangers and hearts. Then Aberdeen fans think all the power is in the central belt to keep them from dominating as they did for a period in the 80s?? Rangers fans think that its Petrie/Lawell/Dempster monopoly, and if Smith got the job, then like some have mentioned on here, its Rangers getting looked on favourably?

They tried the neutral route with Regan and he was just hated by everyone!!

Any appointment is going to divide opinion, but the SFA is made up of persons from numerous different clubs, and areas, and id like to think they have the interests of the national team at heart, and want it to be successful.

This notion that its to get Rangers men or Celtic men or even Hibs men/women to the top, is just ridiculous and to be honest doesnt help the national team.

Clerie Green
06-02-2018, 05:27 PM
Cathro for me ! :agree::agree:

Ronniekirk
06-02-2018, 05:40 PM
I know retro is in fashion but this smacks of desperation How long is it since he managed a team
Does he currently have any role at The Rangers?
On the other hand the younger guns have tried and failed

Ozyhibby
06-02-2018, 05:42 PM
Why does it always have to be some sprt of conspiracy?? I speak to hearts fans at work who think the whole of scottish football and the governing bodies are against them. Petrie runs the sfa and Lawell runs the Spl, and with LD being quoted for the job there then its a big conspiracy against rangers and hearts. Then Aberdeen fans think all the power is in the central belt to keep them from dominating as they did for a period in the 80s?? Rangers fans think that its Petrie/Lawell/Dempster monopoly, and if Smith got the job, then like some have mentioned on here, its Rangers getting looked on favourably?

They tried the neutral route with Regan and he was just hated by everyone!!

Any appointment is going to divide opinion, but the SFA is made up of persons from numerous different clubs, and areas, and id like to think they have the interests of the national team at heart, and want it to be successful.

This notion that its to get Rangers men or Celtic men or even Hibs men/women to the top, is just ridiculous and to be honest doesnt help the national team.

Regan wasn’t hated because he’s a neutral, it was because he was useless. I understand what you are saying though and that’s why the system needs changed. The clubs shouldn’t really be running the SFA aside from deciding on the general direction of travel every 5 years or so. It should be run by professional management team.

macca70
06-02-2018, 05:49 PM
69 year old that’s been retired for 7 years!! That is a disgrace of an appointment as our national manager.

Surely the priority is to bring a CEO in then let them oversee the new manager recruitment.

We have a great opportunity to build for the future and start to install foundations and an infrastructure to take the national team forward.

We’d be better with someone like Scott Gemmill, at least he has worked with Scotland’s u17’s and u21’s so familiar with most of our future internationalists.

Tomsk
06-02-2018, 06:15 PM
Regan wasn’t hated because he’s a neutral, it was because he was useless. I understand what you are saying though and that’s why the system needs changed. The clubs shouldn’t really be running the SFA aside from deciding on the general direction of travel every 5 years or so. It should be run by professional management team.

Moreover, Regan wasn't neutral. He chucked sporting integrity overboard hoping to stave off drowning by clinging to the life-raft of the blue pound. Some might call it commercial reality but neutral it certainly was not.

HoboHarry
06-02-2018, 06:26 PM
Moreover, Regan wasn't neutral. He chucked sporting integrity overboard hoping to stave off drowning by clinging to the life-raft of the blue pound. Some might call it commercial reality but neutral it certainly was not.
Correct and I've been asking that question forever. Regan didn't grow up in Glasgow and had no affiliation to either of the ugly sisters. What is it at the SFA than can so thoroughly corrupt an incomer and so quickly?

Colr
06-02-2018, 06:33 PM
Walter Smith’s ‘loyalty’ was in evidence last time he was manager.

After the current racist misogynist, it’s getting increasingly hard to take an interest in the Scottish team.

Ozyhibby
06-02-2018, 06:35 PM
Correct and I've been asking that question forever. Regan didn't grow up in Glasgow and had no affiliation to either of the ugly sisters. What is it at the SFA than can so thoroughly corrupt an incomer and so quickly?

Another reason for moving to Murrayfield. I think a shift in the centre of gravity in Scottish football would be good for the game.

Onion
06-02-2018, 06:45 PM
69 year old that’s been retired for 7 years!! That is a disgrace of an appointment as our national manager.

Surely the priority is to bring a CEO in then let them oversee the new manager recruitment.

We have a great opportunity to build for the future and start to install foundations and an infrastructure to take the national team forward.

We’d be better with someone like Scott Gemmill, at least he has worked with Scotland’s u17’s and u21’s so familiar with most of our future internationalists.

Maybe as a stop gap to get us through a friendly match, until we've completed the recruitment of a proper long-term manager. Still think the SFA should go back in for O'Neill. Nothing is cast in stone, and with Regan out of the picture, maybe he can be persuaded to reconsider. Would love to know the specific reasons for him turning us down.

ancient hibee
06-02-2018, 07:27 PM
Maybe as a stop gap to get us through a friendly match, until we've completed the recruitment of a proper long-term manager. Still think the SFA should go back in for O'Neill. Nothing is cast in stone, and with Regan out of the picture, maybe he can be persuaded to reconsider. Would love to know the specific reasons for him turning us down.
Maybe being offered a longer contract and much more money had something to do with it.

Jim44
07-02-2018, 02:06 PM
Walter Smith’s ‘loyalty’ was in evidence last time he was manager.

After the current racist misogynist, it’s getting increasingly hard to take an interest in the Scottish team.

:agree: I get the impression that most of us have Hibs as a priority and are indifferent to the shambles that is our International set up. As long as they stay away from our employees, I couldn't give a toss who they bring in.

snooky
07-02-2018, 02:08 PM
:agree: I get the impression that most of us have Hibs as a priority and are indifferent to the shambles that is our International set up. As long as they stay away from our employees, I couldn't give a toss who they bring in.

:agree: I'll add my name to your statement, Jim.

ancient hibee
07-02-2018, 02:11 PM
Me too.

SteveHFC
07-02-2018, 02:26 PM
Malky Mackay now bring considered again.

Bostonhibby
07-02-2018, 02:41 PM
Malky Mackay now bring considered again.A malky mackay and uncle Watty dream team? Satisfies both ugly sisters and the blazers won't have any cobwebs blown away and they get the added bonus of making the national side a bigger laughing stock.

Actually as long as they stay away from Hibs they can do what they like.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Famous Fiver
07-02-2018, 04:04 PM
Tam McCourt for kitman if we cant get the RP,LD,NL trinity involved?

ballengeich
07-02-2018, 04:32 PM

It's not the blue pound that caused decisions to be made. It's the belief among the Hampden suits that their only significant marketing asset among the clubs is the Old Firm. If it had been Celtic who'd collapsed in 2012 they'd have got the same favours.

I don't want Smith back. He walked out on Scotland once before and was a central figure at Ibrox while Rangers carried out a decade of deception of both football and the law's authorities. Does he feel any remorse about either of these matters?

Ozyhibby
07-02-2018, 04:39 PM
It's not the blue pound that caused decisions to be made. It's the belief among the Hampden suits that their only significant marketing asset among the clubs is the Old Firm. If it had been Celtic who'd collapsed in 2012 they'd have got the same favours.

I don't want Smith back. He walked out on Scotland once before and was a central figure at Ibrox while Rangers carried out a decade of deception of both football and the law's authorities. Does he feel any remorse about either of these matters?

Not to mention the fact Smith got his EBT while he was manager of Everton round about the time they sold Michael Ball to Rangers. No questions asked by the SFA about this arrangement at all.

Tomsk
07-02-2018, 06:31 PM

Adds up to the same thing. Regan was driven by commercial factors. If it had been Celtc he would have done the same. It was Rangers. But it was all about money.

AndyM_1875
08-02-2018, 07:56 AM

I couldn't care less about Smith's EBT.

I am far more concerned that he is 70 on his next birthday and that he has been retired for 7 years.
But much more than that he walked out on Scotland before. There are many in the Tartan Army who have not forgotten that nor forgiven it.
Him becoming manager is a regressive step backwards in my opinion. I would much rather see a younger coach.

delbert
08-02-2018, 02:12 PM
I couldn't care less about Smith's EBT.

I am far more concerned that he is 70 on his next birthday and that he has been retired for 7 years.
But much more than that he walked out on Scotland before. There are many in the Tartan Army who have not forgotten that nor forgiven it.
Him becoming manager is a regressive step backwards in my opinion. I would much rather see a younger coach.

Smith would only be able to take a regressive step backwards if he remembers to bring his zimmer !!

Ozyhibby
08-02-2018, 03:34 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180208/1fd7342a59f52018393f04a15fedf311.jpg
Rats deserting a sinking ship.

HoboHarry
08-02-2018, 03:37 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180208/1fd7342a59f52018393f04a15fedf311.jpg
Rats deserting a sinking ship.

You have to wonder what is coming down the pipeline - wonder if it will involve the law?

bigwheel
08-02-2018, 04:05 PM
You have to wonder what is coming down the pipeline - wonder if it will involve the law?

why would someone moving on and then one of his team moving to a bigger job be a signal of potential legal proceedings? sounds like a great job for someone who is in sports administration in Scotland

HoboHarry
08-02-2018, 04:18 PM
why would someone moving on and then one of his team moving to a bigger job be a signal of potential legal proceedings? sounds like a great job for someone who is in sports administration in Scotland
You might well be right. Two major resignations in the space of a week is highly unusual however and it's pretty well accepted that the organization is in a mess.

gillythehibby
08-02-2018, 04:48 PM
Doesny natter who gets it. Nobody really wants it. Give it to Malky Mackay. Younger manager with more mileage ahead of hom and players seem to like him. Smith too old now for me.

Ozyhibby
08-02-2018, 04:56 PM
Sad state of affairs when the golf job is seen as a bigger than the football job.

snooky
08-02-2018, 05:09 PM
Sad state of affairs when the golf job is seen as a bigger than the football job.

Tee-he :tee hee:

Billy Whizz
08-02-2018, 05:15 PM

Or he feels he can make change/improvements easier in Golf

HoboHarry
08-02-2018, 05:16 PM
Tee-he :tee hee:
Any mair o that and we'll drive you off......

overdrive
08-02-2018, 05:36 PM
Doesny natter who gets it. Nobody really wants it. Give it to Malky Mackay. Younger manager with more mileage ahead of hom and players seem to like him. Smith too old now for me.

That’s where I’m at now with this whole mess. I don’t think Mackay wants it though as I think he now sees himself as more of a DoF than coach.

bigwheel
08-02-2018, 05:41 PM
That’s where I’m at now with this whole mess. I don’t think Mackay wants it though as I think he now sees himself as more of a DoF than coach.

he would jump at the chance...

ancient hibee
08-02-2018, 05:57 PM
You might well be right. Two major resignations in the space of a week is highly unusual however and it's pretty well accepted that the organization is in a mess.

Scottish Golf is a big job .The fact that it has been announced this week is coincidental.Had he known about Regan jacking it in he might not have taken the new job which is available because the guy there has gone to tennis.

Ozyhibby
08-02-2018, 06:42 PM

https://videocelts.com/2018/02/blogs/latest-news/mckinlay-follow-follows-regan-out-the-door/

heretoday
08-02-2018, 07:48 PM
A triumverate of Smith, Super Ally and McLeish should be appointed so that we can boo them all at once.

ancient hibee
08-02-2018, 09:29 PM
https://videocelts.com/2018/02/blogs/latest-news/mckinlay-follow-follows-regan-out-the-door/

I love it.Let’s blame everyone who had nothing to do with it.

CorrieHibs
09-02-2018, 06:39 AM
Looks like Walter has pulled out the running. Thank god for that!!

The Harp Awakes
09-02-2018, 07:17 AM

Yes, dodged a bullet there. Ridiculous though that the SFA should have even considered him, given he turned his back on his country before when in post.

Stuart93
09-02-2018, 07:20 AM

Don't know what's worse, the fact the SFA approached him or the fact he's turned them down

Ronniekirk
09-02-2018, 07:59 AM

It was his wife that told him not to take it She clearly knows the shambles he would have to sort out

heretoday
09-02-2018, 08:48 AM
It's a sorry state when I and others couldn't give a monkey's who's Scotland manager.

Maybe they should just appoint a team of coaches for each match on an ad hoc basis.

Spread the blame.

JimBHibees
09-02-2018, 08:57 AM
I honestly would ask Strachan again as he was much better than any of the supposed candidates.

Ozyhibby
09-02-2018, 09:09 AM
It’s crazy they are even talking to people just now. They should be getting the new chief exec in first.

flash
09-02-2018, 09:18 AM
not a massive Scotland fan but Alex McLeish sems a no brainer to me.

snooky
09-02-2018, 09:25 AM
not a massive Scotland fan but Alex McLeish seems a no brainer to me.

Love the double entendre there, Flash :top marks

Diclonius
09-02-2018, 09:26 AM
I have a horrible feeling it's going to end up being Mackay.

IGRIGI
09-02-2018, 09:27 AM
Shirley someone foreign with a decent pedigree has applied at some point?

It depresses me we are scrapping the bottom of the jobs for the boys barrel.

Ozyhibby
09-02-2018, 09:28 AM
not a massive Scotland fan but Alex McLeish sems a no brainer to me.

You would always worry about McLeish walking out if a really big job came along like Birmingham City. No thanks.

flash
09-02-2018, 09:39 AM
You would always worry about McLeish walking out if a really big job came along like Birmingham City. No thanks.

I don't care enough to worry to be honest. Just think at his age he would be more likely to stick with it.

KWJ
09-02-2018, 09:43 AM
My worry with McLeish is that he's no longer any good.

If we were talking about throwing 500k at NI to get O'Neil along with our highest ever wage I don't see why we can't throw 700k or so at someone like Jurgen Klinsmann to do the job for 2 years while he's free.

timewilltell
09-02-2018, 10:53 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43001773

vuefrom1875
09-02-2018, 11:01 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43001773

That'll be that then. Time to dig up another hun. John Brown anyone? 😀

IGRIGI
09-02-2018, 11:11 AM
It's embarrassing enough to have had Smith considered but the fact it's him who's ruled himself out and not the SFA is cringetastic.

snooky
09-02-2018, 01:44 PM
Any mair o that and we'll drive you off......

I'll swing for you. :wink:

HoboHarry
09-02-2018, 02:01 PM
That'll be that then. Time to dig up another hun. John Brown anyone? 😀
Strange that there are no quotes from Walter Smith himself - this smells like more BS invented by the MSM. I imagine the informal talks went like this......

Ring ring ring
SFA - "Hey Walter will you manage the national team for a while?"
Walter - **** off
Click

HoboHarry
09-02-2018, 02:02 PM
I'll swing for you. :wink:
You're a good man - a chip off the old block in fact......

Tornadoes70
09-02-2018, 02:07 PM

I think this is highly unlikely.

So hun smith doesn't want the job. Good riddance as far as I'm concerned. The SFA moves on after hun sympathiser Regan left a some might say deliberate mess behind him.

Got to congratulate the SFA for getting rid of Regan and they'll carry out the duty of appointing a new manager with due diligence now they're rid of Dave Cunningham King's mucker.

mon the cabbage!!!

SirDavidsNapper
09-02-2018, 02:13 PM
Really don't have much interest in the national team but this is shambolic. No plan B after O'Neil

Tornadoes70
09-02-2018, 02:18 PM
It appears Plan B was to get rid of Hun sympathiser Regan when his number one target O Neill failed to materialise.

Good riddance to him.

The SFA are now having to try to fix the mess left behind by Regan.

mon the cabbage!!!

Lago
09-02-2018, 03:23 PM
Don't know what's worse, the fact the SFA approached him or the fact he's turned them down
Equally bad, total lack of ambition

Lago
09-02-2018, 03:25 PM
Seems to have jumped to the head of the line

Lago
09-02-2018, 03:28 PM
It appears Plan B was to get rid of Hun sympathiser Regan when his number one target O Neill failed to materialise.

Good riddance to him.

The SFA are now having to try to fix the mess left behind by Regan

mon the cabbage!!!
No way Regan created the mess on his own, many fingers in that pie

Tornadoes70
09-02-2018, 03:33 PM
No way Regan created the mess on his own, many fingers in that pie

Agreed. Regan would have been aided from his fellow hun facing factions.

Well done to Rod and co for getting rid.

mon the cabbage!!!

HoboHarry
09-02-2018, 03:35 PM

mon the cabbage!!!
Regan came in to the SFA as a complete outsider. It's more likely that he had rings run around him by the existing factions.

Tornadoes70
09-02-2018, 03:40 PM
Regan came in to the SFA as a complete outsider. It's more likely that he had rings run around him by the existing factions.

True and its up to oneself whether or not to give him the benefit of the doubt. There's plenty of outsiders for instance who would side with the Huns without being from Glasgow or Scotland for that matter. I think he became far too cosy with the glib and shameless/huns. I'm merely putting my thoughts on the matter mate.

mon the cabbage!!!

Ozyhibby
09-02-2018, 03:52 PM

mon the cabbage!!!

Rod wanted him to stay, he was out voted.

Ozyhibby
09-02-2018, 03:56 PM
Just announce the Costa Rica friendly will be at Hampden. Could break records for low crowds at Scotland internationals.

Tornadoes70
09-02-2018, 04:01 PM

Is there concrete evidence available? Press reports don't hold any stock with me.

I'd have to re-evaluate my thinking on this if concrete evidence is available. Could you also inform us who voted against Regan remaining if possible?

mon the cabbage!!!

HoboHarry
09-02-2018, 04:02 PM
True and its up to oneself whether or not to give him the benefit of the doubt. There's plenty of outsiders for instance who would side with the Huns without being from Glasgow or Scotland for that matter. I think he became far too cosy with the glib and shameless/huns. I'm merely putting my thoughts on the matter mate.

mon the cabbage!!!
No worries, it's all about opinions :aok:

Tornadoes70
09-02-2018, 04:06 PM
No worries, it's all about opinions :aok:

:top marks

Right ones or wrong ones whichever the case may be.

:greengrin

mon the cabbage!!!

ekhibee
09-02-2018, 04:18 PM
Klingsmann must be worth a shout, but I'm not sure that he'd really be interested. They'll probably go for McLeish, the cheap and easy option, but I wouldn't want him.

Tornadoes70
09-02-2018, 04:53 PM

I'm assuming it was the Daily Radar.

However Rod voted is absolutely irrelevant to me in any case and establishes zero. There may have been very good reason for the way he voted if he did vote to retain Regan as to preventing opposing factions from causing chaos within, only Rod could tell us his reasoning. I'm only interested in seeing our club's chairman ascending to the top at the SFA in due course. It appears there are many who would prefer to dismantle it rather than have our Rod at the helm.

mon the cabbage!!!

The Modfather
09-02-2018, 05:10 PM
I'm assuming it was the Daily Radar.

However Rod voted is absolutely irrelevant to me in any case and establishes zero. There may have been very good reason for the way he voted if he did vote to retain Regan as to preventing opposing factions from causing chaos within, only Rod could tell us his reasoning. I'm only interested in seeing our club's chairman ascending to the top at the SFA in due course. It appears there are many who would prefer to dismantle it rather than have our Rod at the helm.

mon the cabbage!!!

Your stance appears to be to congratulate Petrie for getting rid of dead wood like Raegan, but also to support Petrie if he voted for Reagan to stay as he probably had a good reason.

Are you Rod Petrie? 😀