PDA

View Full Version : Utilised

The_Sauz
04-02-2018, 11:31 PM
In over 50 years of watching Hibs and following football in general, I have never seen a player been utilised more than Lewis Stevenson!
He has played in the following positions for Hibs over the last 10 years:
Left Back
Left Wingback
Right Back
Right Wingback
Centre Half :shocked: (must be the smallest CH in the world :greengrin)
Left Midfield
Centre Midfield

I wonder if Neil has him penned in for a forward role in the future or even as a back-up keeper :thumbsup:

luv the wee guy :aok:

rotherhamrob
05-02-2018, 10:21 AM
In over 50 years of watching Hibs and following football in general, I have never seen a player been utilised more than Lewis Stevenson!
He has played in the following positions for Hibs over the last 10 years:
Left Back
Left Wingback
Right Back
Right Wingback
Centre Half :shocked: (must be the smallest CH in the world :greengrin)
Left Midfield
Centre Midfield

I wonder if Neil has him penned in for a forward role in the future or even as a back-up keeper :thumbsup:

luv the wee guy :aok:
Sorry pal,you're accentuating the good points about Lewis and I'm not sure that's how it works on here😎😎

GillyHibee
05-02-2018, 10:40 AM
Might not be the most talented player ever but he gives 110% every game and plays for the jersey. Takes some stick too, but never puts him down :aok:

SChibs
05-02-2018, 10:43 AM
Didn't realise he was captain on saturday too.

Famous Fiver
05-02-2018, 10:45 AM
Tam the kitman etc must be worried about his job!!

Lewys could do it in his spare time!

hibsbollah
05-02-2018, 10:46 AM
I didn't know he was used as RB.

Fergus52
05-02-2018, 10:50 AM

Think fenlon was forced into doing so for a few games

Moody Blues
05-02-2018, 10:51 AM
Great squad Player. Other teams would love to have him. Always gives 100%.http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/not%20worthy.gif

Dashing Bob S
05-02-2018, 10:55 AM
I was talking to an older fan about this who reckoned that Peter Cormack once played in goals for Hibs, as well as defence, midfield, striker, winger on both sides of the pitch.

Smartie
05-02-2018, 11:05 AM
The fact that Lewis still gets stick from some people is frankly hilarious.

When you put down the cold, hard facts he's an absolute legend that it is a privilege to be able to watch.

Our memories will get hazy and we will forget the very occasional times that he got skinned or misplaced a pass, and we will look back on his time with us with increasing fondness.

Saturday - "mind that time when he captained us to victory at Ibrox, playing out of position at centre half in a defence that was short of 2 right backs and our 2 first choice centre halves?"

"Mind that time when he played centre mid with Steven Thicot and helped us grind out a victory at Tynecastle in spite of being without more that half of our first team?"

"Mind when Lewis became the first player to win both medals with Hibs?"

"Mind when he was man of the match in a cup final?"

The boy is an absolute machine.

Appreciate him whilst he's here.

Fife-Hibee
05-02-2018, 11:14 AM
🎶 we all dream of a team of Lewis Stevenson’s 🎶🤭 😉🇳🇬GGTTH🇳🇬

GillyHibee
05-02-2018, 11:17 AM

When you put down the cold, hard facts he's an absolute legend that it is a privilege to be able to watch.

Our memories will get hazy and we will forget the very occasional times that he got skinned or misplaced a pass, and we will look back on his time with us with increasing fondness.

Saturday - "mind that time when he captained us to victory at Ibrox, playing out of position at centre half in a defence that was short of 2 right backs and our 2 first choice centre halves?"

"Mind that time when he played centre mid with Steven Thicot and helped us grind out a victory at Tynecastle in spite of being without more that half of our first team?"

Jesus forgot about that time with Steven Thicot. He defo dragged the team that game. But completely agree with that whole statement, if we had another 3 with his attitude and dedication we would be an even better team.

Gregor
05-02-2018, 11:26 AM
Jesus forgot about that time with Steven Thicot. He defo dragged the team that game. But completely agree with that whole statement, if we had another 3 with his attitude and dedication we would be an even better team.

Paul Hanlon?

KB'd a right tasty offer from Aberdeen to stay with us. For a centre back, he's more than adept going forward, Len's had him play up the park in the latter stages of games, that oft-used term "cultured" can be applied to his foot as he can fire a wicked ball across the goal and has found the back of the net more than a few times.

Porteous could do worse than follow in their paths.

Am I right in thinking the last time Lewis was captain, we lost 0-3 at home to Morton - pretty much the start of that horrendous freefall that season ; Dillayrn Migheeock's limping off midway through the game.

jacomo
05-02-2018, 11:29 AM

So true.

Tbf the haterz have dwindled to a very small minority in recent years.

I look forward to watching Hibs from the Lewis Stevenson stand in years to come.

“Mind when this was called the East Stand, kids?”

matty_f
05-02-2018, 11:29 AM
The single biggest misconception about Lewis is that he doesn't have a lot of talent.

hibsbollah
05-02-2018, 11:30 AM
If you don't get Lewis you don't get Hibs.

Lago
05-02-2018, 11:32 AM
Rarely or ever injured. Amazing

IGRIGI
05-02-2018, 11:39 AM
Didn't put a foot wrong against Rangers at CB, many a player thrown into that especially at Ibrox would've crumbled.

Gregor
05-02-2018, 12:00 PM
The single biggest misconception about Lewis is that he doesn't have a lot of talent.

Bang on. He does the simple things well, and makes the difficult things look simple. His positional sense is terrific ; I've rarely seen him pulled out of position except to cover for some rocket who's gone all Maldini.

I would put the perceived lack of talent thing down to the fact he's never been linked to the uglies, or "progressed" into the Scottish first team where - if I were being cynical - both of those dubious (certainly under Burley and Levein when players retiring from internationals became a trend) honours tend to be linked.

My_Wife_Camille
05-02-2018, 12:04 PM
The second biggest being that he is slow

My_Wife_Camille
05-02-2018, 12:07 PM
Played there a lot under Fenlon and a few times under Stubbs too. He also played one or two games where he was pretty much left of a forward 3 under Collins. Can’t remember exactly when but I remember it being discussed at the time.

Quality player, quality lad and one of the most underrated to ever play for Hibs.

The_Sauz
05-02-2018, 12:11 PM
Stubbs played him as RB a couple of games, one was a switch due to an injury to SDG during a game :agree:

poolman
05-02-2018, 12:11 PM

Correct

It's no coincidence that every Hibs manager that Lewis has played under ( and there's been plenty ) has made him one of the first picks on the teamsheet

Legend

hibbysam
05-02-2018, 12:14 PM

Sorry to be pedantic but I’m 99.9% sure Thicot played centre half that night and was absolutely immense. Stevenson played in the middle of the park with Rankin, Chisholm, O’Brien and Riordan...

worcesterhibby
05-02-2018, 12:16 PM
and when he scores, it's usually a cracker !

The_Sauz
05-02-2018, 12:16 PM
I was talking to an older fan about this who reckoned that Peter Cormack once played in goals for Hibs, as well as defence, midfield, striker, winger on both sides of the pitch.
Did he not go in goals when Thomson Allan got injured at the castle view stadium(:greengrin)......I could be wrong as it was a long long time ago:confused:

Captain Trips
05-02-2018, 12:21 PM
I do not care what he doesn't do well the guy has been steady all the way through, you play this amount of games for one club its not all going to be great.

Over the piece the guy has been excellent for Hibs. Hope he finishes with us as well when he is done.

overdrive
05-02-2018, 12:25 PM
Correct

It's no coincidence that every Hibs manager that Lewis has played under ( and there's been plenty ) has made him one of the first picks on the teamsheet

Legend

Not quite true. He struggled to get in the team under Mixu and Hughes. He was seen as more of a midfielder then though and they preferred Rankin to him.

On the original topic, Butcher had him playing as an out and out winger at one point too.

The_Sauz
05-02-2018, 12:31 PM
Sorry to be pedantic but I’m 99.9% sure Thicot played centre half that night and was absolutely immense. Stevenson played in the middle of the park with Rankin, Chisholm, O’Brien and Riordan...
He did, a long side Ian Murray :agree:
I remember that Yam roaster on Real Radio(now working for STV) telling Roughie that hertz were going to get revenge for the 7-0 game..............oh how wrong he was :greengrin

The_Sauz
05-02-2018, 12:33 PM
Not quite true. He struggled to get in the team under Mixu and Hughes. He was seen as more of a midfielder then though and they preferred Rankin to him.

On the original topic, Butcher had him playing as an out and out winger at one point too.
Sure that's right? Never knew we played with any wingers or midfield under Butcher :wink:

southern hibby
05-02-2018, 12:34 PM
When we eventually have to replace Lewis, we may get a better left back but re-alistically will we get such a versitile player without injuries or very few suspensions.

I can’t prove my next statement but I genuinely believe it to be true. I feel that Lewis is honoured to go out and play for us each game. Scottish cup and league cup legeand and an amazing ambassador for Hibs.

GGTTH

IWasThere2016
05-02-2018, 12:36 PM

:agree: Yup ... played under how many managers? And how many times has he signed a new contract with us?

He must hold numerous club 'records' with us

Mango Man
05-02-2018, 12:39 PM

Absolutely, he is a very talented boy, can play multiple positions, has a great first touch, his passing when he cuts inside is usually spot on, only player at Hibs to win both cups, first class attitude, the boy is hugely talented.

McD
05-02-2018, 12:40 PM
:agree: Yup ... played under how many managers? And how many times has he signed a new contract with us?

He must hold numerous club 'records' with us

Trying to to think of the last player who has played a similar number of games for us? Mcginlay?

Halmyre Hibee
05-02-2018, 12:46 PM
Did he not go in goals when Thomson Allan got injured at the castle view stadium(:greengrin)......I could be wrong as it was a long long time ago:confused:

I was a wee lad and remember Peter Cormack having to go in goal at Easter Road v Hearts. Not sure if league game or East of Scotland Shield. Darren Jackson also played in goal at Parkhead I think.

overdrive
05-02-2018, 12:47 PM
Sure that's right? Never knew we played with any wingers or midfield under Butcher :wink:

The New year derby. Butcher loves a winger, particularly if he is over 6ft tall to receive the diagonal punt from the centre half (granted Lewis doesn't fit into that specification). It is his own (well probably Malpas') brand of hoof ball that is akin to rugby teams kicking for touch.

Peevemor
05-02-2018, 12:48 PM
I was a wee lad and remember Peter Cormack having to go in goal at Easter Road v Hearts. Not sure if league game or East of Scotland Shield. Darren Jackson also played in goal at Parkhead I think.

As did Arthur Duncan at Ibrox.

Northernhibee

So did Stubbs.

Was that the game where a player came on as a substitute, scored the winner from a penalty, and was substituted himself later? Can't remember his name though.

Northernhibee
05-02-2018, 12:54 PM
If you gave Lewis a three wood and sent him to Augusta he'd have a lovely green jacket to go with his green and white top.

And he'd still be humble about it.

Seveno
05-02-2018, 12:55 PM
Might not be the most talented player ever but he gives 110% every game and plays for the jersey. Takes some stick too, but never puts him down :aok:

He is a very talented footballer and delivers a lot more than effort to the team.

Jack Hackett
05-02-2018, 01:04 PM
Lewis bleeds Green. For what it's worth, I think he's a one team man, and will be with us, even beyond the day he hangs his boots up.

hibee_girl
05-02-2018, 01:08 PM

:agree:

He has the best first touch out of all our players, has plenty pace, rarely gets a tackle wrong etc. He’s got bags of talent

IWasThere2016
05-02-2018, 01:13 PM
Trying to to think of the last player who has played a similar number of games for us? Mcginlay?

I think so... both have over 300 games. Lewis 315 and Pat 311

#10 in the all-time list is Shades with 434 .. Lewis might just make it

hibee_girl
05-02-2018, 01:34 PM
I think so... both have over 300 games. Lewis 315 and Pat 311

#10 in the all-time list is Shades with 434 .. Lewis might just make it

He’s played more than that, the official site has him on 380 appearances

IWasThere2016
05-02-2018, 01:55 PM

Wowser .. great! :thumbsup:

My_Wife_Camille
05-02-2018, 02:02 PM
393:not worth

One Day Soon
05-02-2018, 02:05 PM
I can't help reflecting how ironic/appropriate it is that a thread eulogising (rightly) Lewis' consistent contribution to Hibs over many years is titled in such a hugely understated way - 'Utilised'. Perfect really.

Peevemor
05-02-2018, 02:16 PM
I can't help reflecting how ironic/appropriate it is that a thread eulogising (rightly) Lewis' consistent contribution to Hibs over many years is titled in such a hugely understated way - 'Utilised'. Perfect really.

Even though he's become our equivalent of Chuck Norris. :greengrin

Stevie Reid
05-02-2018, 02:17 PM

Made 32 appearances in Mixu's season, actually - but you're right about Hughes not using him. Think Mixu was the first manager to play him at LB. Correct about Butcher too - Lewis had a superb game against Killie at ER over the Xmas period when we beat them 3-0 and he scored.

Nothing more to add about Lewis to what has been said already, except to reiterate that he is a legend and I love him.

Stevie Reid
05-02-2018, 02:21 PM

And Soccerbase has him on 390!

Gregor
05-02-2018, 02:22 PM
393:not worth

Yup. Correct ; http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/player.php?playerid=6477

wookie70
05-02-2018, 02:35 PM
Legend for me, strength, speed, touch, will to win, attitude, tackling, positioning, resilience but most of all modesty and dedication. Mr Hibs, we are lucky to have a few like him in the squad like McGinn, Hanlon and Daz amongst others who are terrific professionals.

Hibbyradge
05-02-2018, 04:10 PM

Superb post 👍

HibbyAndy
05-02-2018, 04:15 PM
A Hibernian legend that will still be talked about in a 100 years time as the player that won both cups.

Hibbyradge
05-02-2018, 04:17 PM

Now you're talking.

That deserves a thread of its own 😊

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
05-02-2018, 04:19 PM

He has the best first touch out of all our players, has plenty pace, rarely gets a tackle wrong etc. He’s got bags of talent

He also looks after the ball very well, is very neat and tidy and a lot of our attacks go through him as the first pass out of defence.

Craig_HFC
05-02-2018, 04:22 PM
He is the perfect human.

Iggy Pope
05-02-2018, 04:23 PM

One misplaced poster from last week may disagree however. Apparently Lewis is now guilty of putting in non threatening performances due to a lack of competition. Wee man would have the ****ing arms off him :greengrin

Mibbes Aye
05-02-2018, 05:58 PM

I would add to that - when he's not on the ball (either because it's elsewhere or he's just released it), he is almost always on the move to get into position and offer himself for a pass.

Dashing Bob S
05-02-2018, 08:24 PM

It was before George Street and after the game he went up to Rose Street, pulled all wives and girlfriends of the Hearts players and had sex with each one in a different position.

SChibs
05-02-2018, 08:28 PM
7 games away from 400 games for hibs in all competitions. I'm not sure the Wikipedia career statistics include friendlys though so hes probably on well over 400 actual games

Northernhibee
05-02-2018, 08:30 PM
His lap of honour after his testimonial was one of my favourite ER moments in the last few years. Took 4 times plus as many fans as the last testimonial and got the most deserved rendition of SoL I can remember.

I've said it before - he's my all time favourite Hibee. In an era where loyalty means nothing he's shown absolute bundles of it. He plays how I would want to play if I could play for Hibs.

FranckSuzy
05-02-2018, 08:34 PM
And off the field, he donated half of the proceeds from his Testimonial Year to *good causes plus gifted £500 at Christmas to all 23 groups who receive Kicks for Kids season tickets via Leith Links :not worth

*This also includes a fund set up for the young Sunderland fan, Bradley Lowery, who sadly passed away last year.

Lewis is simply a class act, on and off the pitch, and we're extremely lucky to have him.

McD
06-02-2018, 12:15 AM
His lap of honour after his testimonial was one of my favourite ER moments in the last few years. Took 4 times plus as many fans as the last testimonial and got the most deserved rendition of SoL I can remember.

I've said it before - he's my all time favourite Hibee. In an era where loyalty means nothing he's shown absolute bundles of it. He plays how I would want to play if I could play for Hibs.

To add to this, during the lap of honour he looked so genuinely touched by the response from the fans, and in some ways a little embarrassed as I don’t think it’s his way to make a show of himself

a very dependable, and underrated player with no little skill.

when you consider what he, and to a slightly lesser extent Paul Hanlon have done over the last 10-11 years, in the current footballing world, spending such a long time at a club, especially their first club, is sensational. I can’t think of anyone else in Scottish football who has done that, and not been through lack of interest either.

Sir David Gray
06-02-2018, 12:34 AM
It's always been a regret of mine that I missed his testimonial match due to being away on holiday.

He is a club legend in every sense of the word and if we could clone him and have 11 Lewis Stevensons out on the pitch every week, we would be some team.

A fine man, a fine player and it's an honour to have him at the club.

We'll be a poorer side without him once he decides to retire.