PDA

View Full Version : Team spirit since Stokes departure

G B Young
04-02-2018, 06:39 PM
I was, and will remain deeply disappointed that Stokes' career at Hibs ended the way it did, but against Motherwell and the Rangers you just sensed a renewed spirit of togetherness among the squad since he left. Kamberi and MacLaren may not share his talent (though who knows, they may prove me wrong there) but their ecstatic reaction to scoring shows how much they want to make their mark. Stokes is a player who can produce that extra bit of quality to unlock a game, but he showed that way too little. It's said that talent is worth waiting for, but I'd rather have consistent unbridled enthusiasm than occasional brilliance.

If Stokes saw any of yesterday's game, he may have been given pause for thought by the performance of Scott Allan - another player of game-changing ability whose career was threatening to run away from him but who now looks like he could be the talisman we needed to turn around a season which was showing signs of going sour. He plays the game with such a natural joy and talent that you can't help but brush off any bad feeling over his depature last time round. Fingers crossed he seizes the second chance that Hibs are offering with far more gratitude than Stokes did.

Viva_Palmeiras
04-02-2018, 06:43 PM
If I cast my mind back Allan was nothing but a talisman for us. Good to see him back. It’s a funny old game who’d a thunk it...?

G B Young
04-02-2018, 07:01 PM
If I cast my mind back Allan was nothing but a talisman for us. Good to see him back. It’s a funny old game who’d a thunk it...?

I agree. His attitude never faltered during his first spell and he was consistently a joy to watch, unlike Stokes. I just meant there was an air of bad feeling about how quick he was to put in a transfer request after Stubbs had effectively turned his career around.

Libby Hibby
04-02-2018, 07:04 PM
The whole squad seems to be playing with smiles on their faces at present.

Onion
04-02-2018, 07:41 PM
I was, and will remain deeply disappointed that Stokes' career at Hibs ended the way it did, but against Motherwell and the Rangers you just sensed a renewed spirit of togetherness among the squad since he left. Kamberi and MacLaren may not share his talent (though who knows, they may prove me wrong there) but their ecstatic reaction to scoring shows how much they want to make their mark. Stokes is a player who can produce that extra bit of quality to unlock a game, but he showed that way too little. It's said that talent is worth waiting for, but I'd rather have consistent unbridled enthusiasm than occasional brilliance.

If Stokes saw any of yesterday's game, he may have been given pause for thought by the performance of Scott Allan - another player of game-changing ability whose career was threatening to run away from him but who now looks like he could be the talisman we needed to turn around a season which was showing signs of going sour. He plays the game with such a natural joy and talent that you can't help but brush off any bad feeling over his depature last time round. Fingers crossed he seizes the second chance that Hibs are offering with far more gratitude than Stokes did.

Always the risk that if SA set the game alight in his loan spell with Hibs, he'll be off for the highest wage he can get in the summer. It's what he does.

Stewboy
04-02-2018, 08:10 PM
Always the risk that if SA set the game alight in his loan spell with Hibs, he'll be off for the highest wage he can get in the summer. It's what he does.

Of course he will, why shouldn’t he? Same with 99.999% of footballers I would imagine

-Jonesy-
04-02-2018, 08:17 PM
Of course he will, why shouldn’t he? Same with 99.999% of footballers I would imagine
Certainly not the way he spoke during his press conference this time round. Spoke of how he was happy to be back, felt like the club suits him and come the end of the season would be happy to stay longer.
It may just be, and wouldn't surprise me at all, if it was just lip service but we can hope he sees something of a future for himself here.

andybev1
04-02-2018, 08:23 PM

Of course. He will be back at celtic.

Michael
04-02-2018, 08:36 PM
I'm sure Lennon or someone else at the club said he was well liked by the other players.

Stewboy
04-02-2018, 08:50 PM
Certainly not the way he spoke during his press conference this time round. Spoke of how he was happy to be back, felt like the club suits him and come the end of the season would be happy to stay longer.
It may just be, and wouldn't surprise me at all, if it was just lip service but we can hope he sees something of a future for himself here.

I hope he does, but he is hardly going to say he is back to get in the shop window. If we offer him £2k a week a to stay and a Championship club offers £8k a week, it’s not really much of a choice

Fingers crossed we can keep him though, if not let’s just enjoy for 6 months

Wee Effen Bee
04-02-2018, 09:42 PM
Of course. He will be back at celtic.

This. He does belong to Celtic and is only on loan to us. Any of us be any different re choosing a team - 2 grand s week or 8/10 grand? No brainer really. I’m just very happy we have someone of his talent playing for us and able to turn in a MOTM-like performance on his debut at Ibrox. Many more of the same please Scott.

SirDavidsNapper
04-02-2018, 10:15 PM

Fully expect him to and if he does it means he's performed well for Hibs. Lets just enjoy him again while he's here.

Vini1875
04-02-2018, 10:18 PM
Has to be lots of ifs, buts and maybes in this for Scott. If he does well for us over a 4 month spell, will it get him into the celtc team? If he gets no game time at celtc what happens to his career he has already had indifferent loans to Rotherham and Dundee? He has a young family so would a cut in wages now lead to much better in England later? How much could Hibs offer Scott Allan firing on all cylinders with the possible departure of SJM? Can he get back to his best? Swanning around is one thing but can he do against Aberdeen, hearts and celtc?

For us it is a case of enjoy now and worry later. Mcginn, McGeouch and Allan could be a sight to behold, while we have them.

McD
04-02-2018, 10:27 PM
If he puts in the kind of performances we know he’s capable of, in a consistent basis, I’d have no concerns about Hibs offering him similar money to what stokes was on, and telling him he’ll be the fulcrum of the team.

if his words are genuine, and based On what he and Neil McCann said on 31/1 there’s no reason to doubt him, and he feels this is a place where he feels comfortable and able to be at his best, he could be a game changer for us for years to come, or until he earns himself a big move.

We’re likely to lose McGinn sooner rather than later, getting SA in as part of that deal or separately would be a big move for us.

18Hibee75
04-02-2018, 10:28 PM
Allan (Like the vast majority of footballers may I add) would be off as soon as a club come in offering possibly 5 times his current wage, that's not a dig, it's common sense for a footballer with a young child and family.
I'm convinced that he does genuinely love being here and that he's buzzing to be back. You just get that feeling with his social media activity, press conferences and the way he played with a smile on his face and looked genuinely buzzing to be playing.
I think celtic may offer him for McGinn come the end of the season, or even just take Allan back and leave McGinn. Who knows, all we do know is that right now we have an extremely good midfield, solid, composed and promising defenders, with talent and hunger up front. In Lennon we trust.

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

mjhibby
05-02-2018, 04:04 AM
I'm sure Lennon or someone else at the club said he was well liked by the other players.

He seems an easy going guy but he takes up such good positions and makes space for others easily he must be great to have in the team. Seemed like he'd never been away. Maybe he has seen the light. We will find out soon enough at the end of the season.

NORTHERNHIBBY
05-02-2018, 07:33 AM
Maybe the Stokes tribulations have confirmed to the players that the Boss doesn't have automatic favourites, just standards and expectations.

RossScott1991
05-02-2018, 03:11 PM
Seen a tweet this morning from someone claiming they were head butted by stokes at weekend in shanghai, folk from the mirror replied to him asking to get in contact with them, but the tweet has since been deleted. I’ve got a screenshot of it not sure how to post it viat mobile on This.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
05-02-2018, 03:15 PM

Good post.

Makes the Stokes saga around the derby all the more frustrating though - i remain convinced that was a performance from our team when they were ill at ease / unsettled. We just didnt play like we normally do in that game.

Iggy Pope
05-02-2018, 03:19 PM
Seen a tweet this morning from someone claiming they were head butted by stokes at weekend in shanghai, folk from the mirror replied to him asking to get in contact with them, but the tweet has since been deleted. I’ve got a screenshot of it not sure how to post it viat mobile on This.

Nah. Just leave it. Best for everyone.

Captain Trips
05-02-2018, 03:20 PM
Good post.

Makes the Stokes saga around the derby all the more frustrating though - i remain convinced that was a performance from our team when they were ill at ease / unsettled. We just didnt play like we normally do in that game.

That was the sort of game he was signed to play part in us winning it. Him, Boyle and Swanson for me did not help the club in that week before. All rather unfortunate.

RossScott1991
05-02-2018, 03:36 PM
Nah. Just leave it. Best for everyone.

Yeah for best, time to move on from him.