PDA

View Full Version : Gazza

spike220
04-02-2018, 10:51 AM
When they said they were bringing on Gazza at half time. I thought fair enough they have to try something their midfield is struggling!

Carheenlea
04-02-2018, 11:02 AM
I missed it as was on HT pie duty, but my mate said he received a warm welcome from the Hibs fans and was looking in decent health. Magnificent player in his day.

southsider
04-02-2018, 11:05 AM
Aye. Good luck to him.

SirDavidsNapper
04-02-2018, 11:05 AM
Probably the only ex hun i don't mind. What a player he was.

Craig_HFC
04-02-2018, 11:08 AM
He's a wife beater. **** him.

Baldy Foghorn
04-02-2018, 11:14 AM
He tweeted about the warm reception received ending it with No Surrender.....

Says everything about the waster

HFCdeb
04-02-2018, 11:14 AM

This.

Sir David Gray
04-02-2018, 11:19 AM
Ultimately made a contribution to them going pop in 2012.

What's not to like?

HibeeHibernian4
04-02-2018, 11:21 AM

A wife beater who also completely bought into the bigotry that was (if possible) even worse back then. **** him, **** them, and **** everything they stand for. I do hope he fights his demons though, not nice to see anyone go through that.

lucky
04-02-2018, 11:55 AM
Loved watching him play football but his mental health issues have led to many of his off field problems. The guy has issues so maybe some of the things he does has to taken in that context.

LancsHibs
04-02-2018, 12:06 PM
Couldn’t care less about him

The Harp Awakes
04-02-2018, 12:07 PM
He's played a few air flutes in his time and is very much one of them. No interest in him.

iwasthere1972
04-02-2018, 12:08 PM
I missed it as was on HT pie duty, but my mate said he received a warm welcome from the Hibs fans and was looking in decent health. Magnificent player in his day.

Gazza and pies. I remember the story of him making pies which his dad ate. Totally disgusting as well if true. The funny side was him getting a yellow card from the ref for showing the ref the yellow card which the ref dropped.

A great footballer in his day ruined by drink and drugs. Sad state of affairs. Still a hun of course.

Sir David Gray
04-02-2018, 12:18 PM
The only ex player they could have brought on at half time that I would have taken the time to acknowledge would have been Fernando Ricksen.

I'm_cabbaged
04-02-2018, 12:23 PM
Hun bassa.

H18S NX
04-02-2018, 12:26 PM
Ex Hun ****

Swedish hibee
04-02-2018, 01:27 PM
I didn't recognize him on the footage I seen! Not seen a picture of him for years. I know he's had his problems, but.. Wow. Just wow.

WoreTheGreen
04-02-2018, 01:32 PM
Did he have a chicken supper and a fishing rod if not can’t be him

04-02-2018, 01:42 PM
What a sad state he's in these days. He's a hun ******* but still not nice to see someone have such a fall from grace.

BullsCloseHibs
04-02-2018, 02:01 PM

Aye, wife beating hard man.

He can do one.

Lost all respect for that mornon years ago.

delbert
04-02-2018, 02:13 PM
Aye, wife beating hard man.

He can do one.

Lost all respect for that mornon years ago.

He can’t be that bad a guy, remember he turned up with a packed lunch for a murderer a few years back - oh wait, yeh, thick as mince !!

ekhibee
04-02-2018, 02:29 PM
Wasn't he also pally with that taxi driver that went on the rampage, killing several people? Because of his wife-beating history I've got very little sympathy for him at all, but he was a brilliant footballer.

WoreTheGreen
04-02-2018, 02:48 PM
Chicken supper & fishing rod

WoreTheGreen
04-02-2018, 02:52 PM
Raoul moat

Pretty Boy
04-02-2018, 03:01 PM
For all his faults I've always felt for Gazza and hoped he gets himself sorted out, he seems to be on the right path at the moment.

He had a pretty grim childhood. His family lived in conditions pretty close to poverty, he witnessed his friend die in a car accident front of him when he was 10, his Dad regularly had fits and seizures and Gazza had twitches and ticks as well. He lost another friend at 15 and by that age was addicted to gambling and the sole provider for his family.

I'm not suggesting any of that excuses some of his actions as an adult but it probably goes some way to explaining them. Whilst he has made mistakes and bad decisions he has been treated for bulimia, bi-polar, OCD and multiple addictions and you can't just discount that when trying to understand him.

givescotlandfreedom
04-02-2018, 03:04 PM

The folk round me were rather less complimentary when he came on.

04-02-2018, 03:09 PM
For all his faults I've always felt for Gazza and hoped he gets himself sorted out, he seems to be on the right path at the moment.

He had a pretty grim childhood. His family lived in conditions pretty close to poverty, he witnessed his friend die in a car accident front of him when he was 10, his Dad regularly had fits and seizures and Gazza had twitches and ticks as well. He lost another friend at 15 and by that age was addicted to gambling and the sole provider for his family.

I'm not suggesting any of that excuses some of his actions as an adult but it probably goes some way to explaining them. Whilst he has made mistakes and bad decisions he has been treated for bulimia, bi-polar, OCD and multiple addictions and you can't just discount that when trying to understand him.

Absolutely. He's made bad decisions but alcoholism is an illness. Nobody would choose to be like that.

heidtheba
04-02-2018, 03:17 PM
I always thought that Gazza was a body who had a fun-loving guy inside him who made poor decisions...and a huge load of demons which he had very little control over. Yes he did stupid things, yes he had ridiculously unhelpful mates, yup being in the limelight didn't help and neither did having the cash he did...but there was a lot of very very tragic stuff in his life too. I only ever felt you saw 'him' on a football field.
Could be wrong obvs.

Deansy
04-02-2018, 03:49 PM
Ultimately made a contribution to them going pop in 2012.

What's not to like?

At last - a reason to like Gascoigne !

Famous Fiver
04-02-2018, 03:56 PM
Mental illness, if things are to be believed, so needed treatment instead of sycophancy.

Never been there myself so can only sympathise with the chap.

Obviously has had difficulty in differentiating between right and wrong, acceptable and unacceptable behaviour.

Perhaps one of our psychology experts will be along in a few minutes to discuss.

Hibrandenburg
04-02-2018, 05:02 PM

Yep, it might explain him being a class 1 ******** but it can't excuse them. There's plenty people go through traumatic childhoods and hardship but still make the effort to be decent human beings.

SirDavidsNapper
04-02-2018, 05:43 PM
The only ex player they could have brought on at half time that I would have taken the time to acknowledge would have been Fernando Ricksen.

Why's that? Utter welt of a man. Drink driving and assaulting his neighbours to name but two incidents.

DavidDavidGray
04-02-2018, 05:47 PM
Why's that? Utter welt of a man. Drink driving and assaulting his neighbours to name but two incidents.

Maybe Ricksen would be given a positive reception because he’s currently fighting an extremely serious illness. Just a thought

SirDavidsNapper
04-02-2018, 05:49 PM
Maybe Ricksen would be given a positive reception because he’s currently fighting an extremely serious illness. Just a thought

So are many people

WoreTheGreen
04-02-2018, 05:51 PM
Firework man? Shame but a *** dick

DavidDavidGray
04-02-2018, 05:52 PM
So are many people

Oh ok so that means he should get less support? Anyone struggling with motor neurone disease, or any other serious illness, should be given all the help and support they can get. To suggest they shouldn’t because other people are also struggling is a silly argument.

heretoday
04-02-2018, 05:54 PM
Gazza's ok. He entertained millions. Leave him alone.

I'm_cabbaged
04-02-2018, 06:00 PM
Oh ok so that means he should get less support? Anyone struggling with motor neurone disease, or any other serious illness, should be given all the help and support they can get. To suggest they shouldn’t because other people are also struggling is a silly argument.

Think you’re picking him incorrectly. Think he’s saying if you’re a cock, you’re cock, no matter your health.

Sir David Gray
04-02-2018, 06:01 PM

Because he's going through an illness that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy and as a high profile person, he is helping to put that illness in the spotlight and bringing much needed awareness to motor neurone disease.

I'm aware Ricksen has a checkered history but I would be happy to acknowledge the suffering he must be going through with a dignified applause.

Mantis Toboggan
04-02-2018, 06:05 PM
Think you’re picking him incorrectly. Think he’s saying if you’re a cock, you’re cock, no matter your health.

But it's extremely harsh to call a guy with MND a cock. Even if he is/was one.

I'm_cabbaged
04-02-2018, 06:16 PM

I’m not saying nothing! Was just trying to explain another poster!!

SouthMoroccoStu
04-02-2018, 06:25 PM
Slightly high jacked thread but hey ho!

Before Ricksen was struck down with this horrible illness - non of us would have invited him round to the house for a cup of tea

He must be one of the most despised rangers players of the last 30 years, if not all time

Ricksen was a vile thug who epitomised the club and their knuckle dragging fans

I'm sure none of us would wish this life changing illness on anyone but contracting this disease doesn't wipe the slate clean on his life

SeanWilson
04-02-2018, 06:31 PM

Why? It's hilarious the sanctimony that spurts out of folk. Ricksen was/is an arse hole; as was/is Gazza. Ricksen has a disease that's been imposed upon him, Gazza's his own worst enemy. Yes, be sympathetic to someone with a horrible disease but why does that change whether or not the mans a welt?

Mantis Toboggan
04-02-2018, 06:37 PM
Why? It's hilarious the sanctimony that spurts out of folk. Ricksen was/is an arse hole; as was/is Gazza. Ricksen has a disease that's been imposed upon him, Gazza's his own worst enemy. Yes, be sympathetic to someone with a horrible disease but why does that change whether or not the mans a welt?

Nobody's being sanctimonious on here that I can see. Merely suggesting that abusing someone with a terminal illness might be a little bit unpleasant for all concerned.

Nakedmanoncrack
04-02-2018, 06:48 PM
Because he's going through an illness that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy and as a high profile person, he is helping to put that illness in the spotlight and bringing much needed awareness to motor neurone disease.

I'm aware Ricksen has a checkered history but I would be happy to acknowledge the suffering he must be going through with a dignified applause.

You could say the same about Gascoigne, a much more significant football player, Rickson was a nobody by comparison. Guess that doesn't suit you though.

Sir David Gray
04-02-2018, 06:52 PM
You could say the same about Gascoigne, a much more significant football player, Rickson was a nobody by comparison. Guess that doesn't suit you though.

What terminal illness is Gascoigne suffering from?

Nakedmanoncrack
04-02-2018, 07:01 PM
What terminal illness is Gascoigne suffering from?

You never mentioned terminal illness, Rickson was, and is a ****.

The Green Goblin
04-02-2018, 07:07 PM
My spidey-sense tells me this thread isn't going to last much longer.

cabbageandribs1875
04-02-2018, 07:25 PM
was the waster mimicking playing the flute to excite the ibrox orcs, was his bezzy mate jimmy 10-bellies supporting him

Sir David Gray
04-02-2018, 08:04 PM
You never mentioned terminal illness, Rickson was, and is a ****.

I think it was fairly obvious that the reason I gave for being happy to applaud Ricksen was due to him having motor neurone disease.

poolman
04-02-2018, 08:08 PM
Couldn’t care less about him

And me, flute playing numpty

Nakedmanoncrack
04-02-2018, 08:14 PM
I think it was fairly obvious that the reason I gave for being happy to applaud Ricksen was due to him having motor neurone disease.

What a hero.

bigwheel
04-02-2018, 08:25 PM
Dear oh Dear... I bet you have never met the man...secondly, his courageous battle against MND is a sign of a brave man...

I can think of no reason why anyone would be calling the man out like you did...

Sir David Gray
04-02-2018, 08:33 PM
What a hero.

No-one's saying he's a hero, no-one's saying he's lead a clean and honest life, no-one's saying you even need to like him. The point is the man is currently suffering from one of the worst illnesses anyone could ever imagine and his body is gradually shutting down bit by bit. Whilst he is still able to, he is keeping a fairly high profile and helping to raise awareness of motor neurone disease.

I don't think it would therefore take much to afford him a bit of respect for that alone.

It's called being the bigger person and rising above all the other nonsense that has gone on earlier in his life.

Pretty Boy
04-02-2018, 08:51 PM
No-one's saying he's a hero, no-one's saying he's lead a clean and honest life, no-one's saying you even need to like him. The point is the man is currently suffering from one of the worst illnesses anyone could ever imagine and his body is gradually shutting down bit by bit. Whilst he is still able to, he is keeping a fairly high profile and helping to raise awareness of motor neurone disease.

I don't think it would therefore take much to afford him a bit of respect for that alone.

It's called being the bigger person and rising above all the other nonsense that has gone on earlier in his life.

Whilst I don't disagree, it could be argued bi-polar is a very serious condition, one of the worst mental illnesses, yet sympathy and respect for Paul Gascoigne seems pretty thin on the ground on this thread and elsewhere.

Some double standards maybe?

Nakedmanoncrack
04-02-2018, 10:34 PM
Whilst I don't disagree, it could be argued bi-polar is a very serious condition, one of the worst mental illnesses, yet sympathy and respect for Paul Gascoigne seems pretty thin on the ground on this thread and elsewhere.

Some double standards maybe?

:agree:

Greencore
04-02-2018, 10:43 PM
An amazing footballer.

Dunbar Hibee
04-02-2018, 11:08 PM
Wouldn't piss on the **** if he was on fire

Mikey09
04-02-2018, 11:34 PM

And neither it should... Some utterly embarrassing posts.

HoboHarry
05-02-2018, 01:21 AM
Is this thread worthy of being called "Hibs class"?

vuefrom1875
05-02-2018, 11:30 AM

Still a wife beating bigoted hun.

Geo_1875
05-02-2018, 12:07 PM
Never been keen on Gascoine since the 91 FA cup final. Don't see any reason to change my mind about him.

I'm Spartacus
05-02-2018, 01:27 PM
There was no need for his 'No Surrender' Tweet though. Footballing legend, but why the need to be so stupid? it is Gazza after all.

One Day Soon
05-02-2018, 02:02 PM
Paul Gascoigne is one of the best footballers I have ever seen play. Fernando Ricksen is suffering from one of the worst illnesses a person can have.

I am sorry about their failings and I am sorry about their illnesses. I think it's okay to feel both.

Scott Allan Key
05-02-2018, 02:17 PM
Paul Gascoigne is one of the best footballers I have ever seen play. Fernando Ricksen is suffering from one of the worst illnesses a person can have.

I am sorry about their failings and I am sorry about their illnesses. I think it's okay to feel both.

A voice of reason and compassion. Hear, hear.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
05-02-2018, 03:10 PM
These discussions are always goodies...

As Arrigo Sacchi said (supposedly!) Fitba is the most important of life's least important things.

Surely people can recognise that someone can be both a massive fudd of a fitba player, but also deserving of support and sympathy for his struggles with a very frightening and horrible condition?

Gazza is a difficult one - i think he is quite clearly a long way from being the full-shilling, and he has been both a victim of that (people taking advantage) but also seems to use it as get out of jail free card whenever he does something wrong. On balance im pretty ambivalent about him, dont hate him (too good a player, too much of a character to really hate) but i dont massively care what happens to him either.

marinello59
05-02-2018, 03:16 PM

Well said.

Captain Trips
05-02-2018, 03:23 PM
Could Gazza have done anything differently in his life to have changed were he is it now? Probably.

Ricksen and Gazza should not be compared at all.

lapsedhibee
06-02-2018, 06:03 PM
Could Gazza have done anything differently in his life

Could have been kinder to Gordon Durie (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5JC-Evp4bc).

Beefster
06-02-2018, 10:02 PM

Are you the Green Goblin or Spiderman? Make your ****ing mind up.

highland hibbee
06-02-2018, 10:15 PM
was the waster mimicking playing the flute to excite the ibrox orcs, was his bezzy mate jimmy 10-bellies supporting him

the same Gaza who ran the length of the East terracing in 96 giving the w*nker sign behind his back after Goram was attacked at Easter Road. Had that been a Hibs player doing that at Hunbrox there would have been a riot. Absolute scrote of an individual and whilst I wish no illness on any man, the fact that he has an illness means that hopefully a decent person somewhere else has been spared.

leithsansiro
06-02-2018, 10:49 PM
For me, this whole thread boils down to the moral dilemns of whether or not people's previous indiscretions are overlooked when they fall on hard times.

The way I see it, Paul Gascoigne assaulted his wife, which is a horrendous action. On the field, he wrecked another pkayer's career through stupidity by flying into Gary Charles. He came across as arrogant and actively encouraged religion intolerance through his antics at Rangers. It doesn't matter how hard alcoholism hit him or anything else. The man is an arse, hard times or not.

The same applies to Ricksen, regardless of how unwell he may now be. Quite frankly, having a serious illness doesn't wipe clean the slate. I wouldn't wish either situation on anyone, but then I'd also rather folk just conducted themselves properly.

Sir David Gray
06-02-2018, 11:14 PM
For me, this whole thread boils down to the moral dilemns of whether or not people's previous indiscretions are overlooked when they fall on hard times.

The way I see it, Paul Gascoigne assaulted his wife, which is a horrendous action. On the field, he wrecked another pkayer's career through stupidity by flying into Gary Charles. He came across as arrogant and actively encouraged religion intolerance through his antics at Rangers. It doesn't matter how hard alcoholism hit him or anything else. The man is an arse, hard times or not.

The same applies to Ricksen, regardless of how unwell he may now be. Quite frankly, having a serious illness doesn't wipe clean the slate. I wouldn't wish either situation on anyone, but then I'd also rather folk just conducted themselves properly.

Ricksen is no angel but do convictions for breach of the peace, drink driving and assault really mean that you deserve no sympathy when you get a terminal illness diagnosis at the age of 37 and are unlikely to live to see your 45th birthday?

If it was a murderer, paedophile or rapist we were talking about then I could see your point but Ricksen's past is hardly that extreme in the grand scheme of things to deny him some sympathy at a time when he faces up to an unimaginably sad fate.

You could argue that he actually took steps to correct his behaviour by checking himself into a rehabilitation clinic for alcohol.

Tomsk
06-02-2018, 11:30 PM
While we are on the subject of unreconstructed Huns, did any of you see Ray Wilkins on Sky Sports News this evening? Jeez, does he look seriously unwell. And sounded it too. Croaking like an old man. I know he's not had his troubles to seek but he was a real eye-opener.

vuefrom1875
06-02-2018, 11:49 PM
While we are on the subject of unreconstructed Huns, did any of you see Ray Wilkins on Sky Sports News this evening? Jeez, does he look seriously unwell. And sounded it too. Croaking like an old man. I know he's not had his troubles to seek but he was a real eye-opener.

Bevvy merchant.

heretoday
06-02-2018, 11:52 PM
Gazza looks fitter than Wilkins now!

It's a funny old game.

FilipinoHibs
07-02-2018, 01:11 AM
Ricksen is no angel but do convictions for breach of the peace, drink driving and assault really mean that you deserve no sympathy when you get a terminal illness diagnosis at the age of 37 and are unlikely to live to see your 45th birthday?

If it was a murderer, paedophile or rapist we were talking about then I could see your point but Ricksen's past is hardly that extreme in the grand scheme of things to deny him some sympathy at a time when he faces up to an unimaginably sad fate.

You could argue that he actually took steps to correct his behaviour by checking himself into a rehabilitation clinic for alcohol.

aye he was drunk when he carried out his numerous indiscretions on and off the pitch. so forgiven and excused.

Dashing Bob S
07-02-2018, 05:28 AM
We all tend to be selective in our compassion and forgiveness. We should strive to follow the example of Petrie, who once memorably said “let he who is without sin cast the first stone.”

GreenLake
07-02-2018, 06:38 AM
aye he was drunk when he carried out his numerous indiscretions on and off the pitch. so forgiven and excused.

He was not forgiven for showing Dougie Smith the yellow card that dropped out of his pocket.

Tomsk
07-02-2018, 02:04 PM
Bevvy merchant.

I like a drink, but that's a bit harsh. :cheers:

ShinyFantastic
07-02-2018, 02:08 PM
I politely clapped him, as did quite a few other of our fans around me, though it doesn't seem like anyone on here has admitted that....

Clerie Green
07-02-2018, 02:15 PM
I politely clapped him, as did quite a few other of our fans around me, though it doesn't seem like anyone on here has admitted that....

Never , not once .:thumbsup: