PDA

View Full Version : SPORTSCENE- Is it on tonight ???

hhibs
03-02-2018, 08:11 PM
AS above, all I can see on my tv guides is that match of the day piss,same for tomorrow night.

Anybody know if and when it is on?

:flag::flag::flag:

Beefster
03-02-2018, 08:12 PM
BBC2 tomorrow @ 6pm.

03-02-2018, 08:12 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006zrbv

timewilltell
03-02-2018, 08:13 PM
AS above, all I can see on my tv guides is that match of the day piss,same for tomorrow night.

seriously....??

hibs#1
03-02-2018, 08:13 PM

Been cancelled until the rangers next win.

hhibs
03-02-2018, 08:16 PM
[quote=timewilltell;5307480]seriously....??[/quot

YES

SirDavidsNapper
03-02-2018, 08:17 PM

Annoys me that English football is rammed down our throats. Care as much about that league as i do about the Dutch league. Get the Scottish highlights up on Saturday night please!

hhibs
03-02-2018, 08:19 PM
Annoys me that English football is rammed down our throats. Care as much about that league as i do about the Dutch league. Get the Scottish highlights up on Saturday night please!

:top marks

hhibs
03-02-2018, 08:21 PM
BBC2 tomorrow @ 6pm.

Thanks Beefster.

jabis
03-02-2018, 08:23 PM

:aok:

Zazu62
03-02-2018, 08:27 PM
Why don’t they show it on a Saturday? Any reason why?

ACLeith
03-02-2018, 08:29 PM
They need 24 hours to find highlights that show TRFC were unlucky

hibbysam
03-02-2018, 10:06 PM

I presume its to do with the fact we only get one show and we normally always have a Sunday game so to include all games not in the show.

bingo70
03-02-2018, 10:10 PM

English football is shown then.

Utterly ridiculous but i suppose that’s just where we are as a country just now.

One of the motd presenters probably gets more from the BBC than Scottish football does as well.

OxoHibby
03-02-2018, 10:17 PM
English football is shown then.

Utterly ridiculous but i suppose that’s just where we are as a country just now.

One of the motd presenters probably gets more from the BBC than Scottish football does as well.

Gary Lineker does

bingo70
03-02-2018, 10:20 PM
Gary Lineker does

Alan shearer probably won’t be too far behind either then.

Deansy
03-02-2018, 10:20 PM

Highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF3OuPYrBgY

Michael
03-02-2018, 10:36 PM
Gary Lineker does

From what I can work out, the BBC pays around 2.5m a year for Scottish football and 1.75m a year for Gary Lineker. Still, BBC will be paying more for English football before they even get to the rights for that.

The_Exile
03-02-2018, 11:41 PM
It used to be on on a Saturday night with MOTD on straight after it. The main game was usually one of the old firm but from memory the highlights of the other games were also pretty extensive.

Tornadoes70
04-02-2018, 12:06 AM
It used to be on on a Saturday night with MOTD on straight after it. The main game was usually one of the old firm but from memory the highlights of the other games were also pretty extensive.

Iirc we had BBC Sportscene on the Saturday night then STV Scotsport on the Sunday afternoon.

mon the cabbage!!!

SuperAllyMcleod
04-02-2018, 12:16 AM
It must be at least 10years since Sportscene was on a Saturday night for league matches!

Glory Lurker
04-02-2018, 12:17 AM
BBC and STV used to alternate the Saturday night/Sunday afternoon slot season by season. Now neither can show our national sport on a Saturday night 'cause rubbish broadcasting deals.

snooky
04-02-2018, 12:24 AM
Gary Lineker does

FREEDOM ! :wink:

monktonharp
04-02-2018, 12:37 AM
BBC and STV used to alternate the Saturday night/Sunday afternoon slot season by season. Now neither can show our national sport on a Saturday night 'cause rubbish broadcasting deals.meanwhile, back at the ranch,(or heilin bothy) Scottish viewers still have to pay the same rate for their TV Liscence.

Northern Hibby
04-02-2018, 02:27 AM

Spot on!

emerald green
04-02-2018, 10:53 AM

Nothing is "rammed down our throats". :rolleyes: If you don't want to watch it, nobody is forcing you.

I like the English Championship highlights programme on C5 on a Saturday night if I'm in. Scottish Premier highlights are on Sunday night on BBC2 Sportscene.

Eaststand
04-02-2018, 11:20 AM

It'll be shown as soon as Traynor and his lackeys decide what's to be shown, and any footage of us playing well is removed.
Once that's been done, it's just s quick case of fat Jim deciding what comments are to go alongside the clip.

GGTTH

andy1875
04-02-2018, 11:23 AM
It'll be shown as soon as Traynor and his lackeys decide what's to be shown, and any footage of us playing well is removed.
Once that's been done, it's just s quick case of fat Jim deciding what comments are to go alongside the clip.

GGTTH

:thumbsup:

WhileTheChief..
04-02-2018, 11:26 AM
At least we get to see the English highlights.

If you live down south you’re still paying for Sportscene but you don’t get to watch it!

English fans must be ragin :greengrin

Tornadoes70
04-02-2018, 11:31 AM
BBC and STV used to alternate the Saturday night/Sunday afternoon slot season by season. Now neither can show our national sport on a Saturday night 'cause rubbish broadcasting deals.

Can't remember Sportscene on after Glen Michael's Cavalcade? Only remember Arthur Montford's Scotsport on Sunday's and not Archie Macpherson.

:greengrin

mon the cabbage!!!

Eaststand
04-02-2018, 11:36 AM

If you live down south you’re still paying for Sportscene but you don’t get to watch it!

Yep and on that topic..

When i was a laddie, working down south in the 70's, it always really annoyed me when Engerlish mates didn't know anything about Hibs. It was even worse if they knew a wee bit about Hertz or Abbadeen :-(
Fast forward 40 odd years, and when I'm on my holidays, it still annoys me as much as it did then !!

GGTTH

Thief
04-02-2018, 11:50 AM
Recall reading recently that the highest viewing figures per head of UK population for match of the day are in Scotland.
Possibly another reason sportscene gets a Sunday night slot [emoji20]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

basehibby
04-02-2018, 12:26 PM

:top marks - absolutely and 100% it's the ultimate in condescension. An uber-patronising insult to Scotland and Scots that we are served up with the football of a different country - presented by that crisp eating walloper Linekar who is paid more than the whole of the Scottish game combined by his employers. Meanwhile, the proponents of our own national game are relegated to some off-schedule slot with the about the same budget as a box of Linkar's crappy crsips.

Beefster
04-02-2018, 12:31 PM
:top marks - absolutely and 100% it's the ultimate in condescension. An uber-patronising insult to Scotland and Scots that we are served up with the football of a different country - presented by that crisp eating walloper Linekar who is paid more than the whole of the Scottish game combined by his employers. Meanwhile, the proponents of our own national game are relegated to some off-schedule slot with the about the same budget as a box of Linkar's crappy crsips.

How is 6pm on a Sunday worse than 10:30pm on a Saturday?

Billy Whizz
04-02-2018, 12:47 PM
How is 6pm on a Sunday worse than 10:30pm on a Saturday?

I actually like it on a Sunday teatime

WoreTheGreen
04-02-2018, 12:52 PM
Can't remember Sportscene on after Glen Michael's Cavalcade? Only remember Arthur Montford's Scotsport on Sunday's and not Archie Macpherson.

mon the cabbage!!!

Glenn had a shocker of a syrup

Clerie Green
04-02-2018, 12:57 PM

mon the cabbage!!!

What happened ?

:flag::cb:flag:

Baader
04-02-2018, 01:12 PM

Find the change channel button on your remote. Or failing that, the 'off' switch.

More folk would be moaning about paying a licence fee for the likes of Motd and not being able to watch it if it wasn't shown in Scotland...

Lago
04-02-2018, 01:31 PM
I like MotD, I like Sportscene, now that Hibs are in the top league. I watch both, no one rams either down my throat, it's my choice. If I don't like something on TV I change channels or switch it off.
Totally agree presenters on MotD are way overpaid & Scottish football under valued, but our administrators have a lot to answer for in that respect.

Malthibby
04-02-2018, 03:20 PM
Folk missing the point by saying 'Don't watch it then.'
English & euro football is indeed stuffed down our throats, to the point the Champion's League doesn't allow us to
play matches when their product is on the telly. It's designed to breed interest at the expense of a domestic product.
So it's a big no thanks from me; I'd much rather our Championship got some decent coverage.
And aye; our administrators have a lot to answer for.
GG

SuperAllyMcleod
04-02-2018, 03:44 PM
meanwhile, back at the ranch,(or heilin bothy) Scottish viewers still have to pay the same rate for their TV Liscence.

It’s nothing to do with the TV license, it’s down to the SPFL.

If the SPFL wanted maximum coverage - including Sat Sportscene - then they would sell the rights to the BBC. But they don’t, they just look at who is paying most and at the moment that is Sky and BT - just as it is in England, albeit with smaller numbers up here.

Similarly, the SFA have sold the rights for international matches to the highest bidder resulting in no terrestrial coverage of those.

It’s no wonder you are more likely to see kids wearing English team strips than local teams.

Robinho08
04-02-2018, 03:48 PM

Hear, hear. 👏

I've got absolutely no time for English or any other country's football for that matter. Need to talk up our game.

Iggy Pope
04-02-2018, 03:57 PM
Old enough to remember when it was Sportsreel on BBC on a Saturday night rather than the modern Sportcsene. And it had a rollicking old theme tune.

ancient hibee
04-02-2018, 04:01 PM
English & euro football is indeed stuffed down our throats, to the point the Champion's League doesn't allow us to
play matches when their product is on the telly. It's designed to breed interest at the expense of a domestic product.
So it's a big no thanks from me; I'd much rather our Championship got some decent coverage.
GG

Anyone having Euro football rammed down their throat must pay for BT or SKY.The answer is obvious I would have thought.

KSA Hibee
04-02-2018, 04:56 PM
With the BBC banned from Castle Greyskull will there actually be any highlights to see ??

hibsbollah
04-02-2018, 05:01 PM
Anyone having Euro football rammed down their throat must pay for BT or SKY.The answer is obvious I would have thought.

Im getting BT sport for nothing as part of my phone deal. I have to say I love it, but I like European football and I don't always want to go to the pub to watch a game, so it works for me.

3pm
04-02-2018, 07:00 PM
Will Levein comment on his player kicking the St Johnstone boy up the a***?

ancient hibee
04-02-2018, 07:14 PM
Im getting BT sport for nothing as part of my phone deal. I have to say I love it, but I like European football and I don't always want to go to the pub to watch a game, so it works for me.
I had a BT deal but the new deal contained a charge for the sport so I cancelled it.

Squealing pig
04-02-2018, 07:18 PM
Rangers were unlucky 🤔

Billy Whizz
04-02-2018, 07:20 PM
I had a BT deal but the new deal contained a charge for the sport so I cancelled it.

If you’re out of contract, give them a call

lapsedhibee
04-02-2018, 07:22 PM

GGTTH
You jest, but watching the BBC highlights just now it looked as if The Thes should have scored three or four times in the first half, and it was a bit odd not to see the foul which led to their scoring free-kick. Was that foul controversial in any way? :dunno:

In the old days of Sportsreel and that I'm sure there was a deliberate policy of editing out bad fouls by the OF.

SouthMoroccoStu
04-02-2018, 07:36 PM
Rangers were unlucky 🤔

Who said that?

Or was it BBC creative editing

I missed the show, what was said about our penalty?

Allant1981
04-02-2018, 07:37 PM
Who said that?

Or was it BBC creative editing

I missed the show, what was said about our penalty?

both thompson and stewart said it was a penalty

givescotlandfreedom
04-02-2018, 07:40 PM
Did they show the disallowed Hibs goal?

J-C
04-02-2018, 07:41 PM
Watched the highlights, everyone on here and Lennon must've been at a different game with the biased highlights screened tonight, the way it's been edited you'd think it was all Rangers, 6-7 attacks to Hibs 2. :confused:

Although they did show and speak about Allan after the highlight, loads of wee clips of all his touches and movement and praised by Thompson and Stewart.

Hibbyradge
04-02-2018, 07:48 PM

Yes. They didn't analyse it though.

I thought it was offside at the time.

I'm not sure why their goal was ruled out either.

The Baldmans Comb
04-02-2018, 07:59 PM
Yep and on that topic..

When i was a laddie, working down south in the 70's, it always really annoyed me when Engerlish mates didn't know anything about Hibs. It was even worse if they knew a wee bit about Hertz or Abbadeen :-(
Fast forward 40 odd years, and when I'm on my holidays, it still annoys me as much as it did then !!

GGTTH

Why would a Scottish person care in the slightest if English people had heard of Hibs.?

There are numerous English teams I couldn't tell you the first thing about other than their location.

Anyone that annoyed about the BBC scheduling then dock a month or two of their licence fee as there is nothing they can do except send a nasty letter.:na na:

Joe6-2
04-02-2018, 08:01 PM

Yes

greenlex
04-02-2018, 08:01 PM

Yup. Looked offside.

andybev1
04-02-2018, 08:12 PM
Old enough to remember when it was Sportsreel on BBC on a Saturday night rather than the modern Sportcsene. And it had a rollicking old theme tune.

damn, you're old Iggy!

wookie70
04-02-2018, 08:24 PM
I didn't think the coverage was that bad. They should have shown the free kick that led up to their goal for context though. We created a good few chances in the first half and I think they were all there. Barring the penalty we were rarely in their half for the second 45. Rocky's double save should surely have been highlighted more as it was far better than any the Hearts goalie made. The Hearts highlights were incredible. Wotherspoon should never have been sent off and their man aim a kick at the St Js boy and only got a yellow. Hearts goal was the usual fluky nonsense with a cross missing Laughatme and bouncing at the scorers feet. Baffling how Saints never won that game.

truehibernian
04-02-2018, 08:28 PM

Late Saturday afternoon telly hasn't been the same since World of Sport, fights between Big Daddy and Mick McManus, and an episode of Metal Mickey to follow......before switching over to have a quick swatch at Daisy Duke washing the General Lee............changed days Iggy, changed days mate :greengrin

Ryan69
04-02-2018, 08:32 PM

I'm sure I read the BBC pay over £200 million a year for EPL highlights.
How much do they pay SPL?

iwasthere1972
04-02-2018, 08:34 PM

£200 million a year. Sounds far far too much. Maybe two less zeros would be more believable.

Michael
04-02-2018, 08:38 PM
£200 million a year. Sounds far far too much. Maybe two less zeros would be more believable.

It is 200m, but over 3 years (not 1).

Biggie
04-02-2018, 08:42 PM
I didn't think the coverage was that bad. They should have shown the free kick that led up to their goal for context though. We created a good few chances in the first half and I think they were all there. Barring the penalty we were rarely in their half for the second 45. Rocky's double save should surely have been highlighted more as it was far better than any the Hearts goalie made. The Hearts highlights were incredible. Wotherspoon should never have been sent off and their man aim a kick at the St Js boy and only got a yellow. Hearts goal was the usual fluky nonsense with a cross missing Laughatme and bouncing at the scorers feet. Baffling how Saints never won that game.

Well, st johnstone are back there this week, hopefully take their chances this time

Ryan69
04-02-2018, 08:49 PM
It is 200m, but over 3 years (not 1).

Still an absurd amount which we are paying for...and I don't even each epl

Ringothedog
04-02-2018, 08:52 PM

Match of the Day will show Premier League highlights until at least the 2021-22 season after renewing its contract for a further three years.

The £211.5m deal - up from £204m - also includes Match of the Day 2, Football Focus and The Premier League Show.

So over 70m a year😡

WhileTheChief..
04-02-2018, 09:03 PM

Not got a clue.

I wouldn’t get to see EPL highlights if they didn’t show them though so not bothered how much they pay.

Sir David Gray
04-02-2018, 09:11 PM
I'm glad to see Levein's "kick anything that moves" (literally) tactic is paying off against other teams and not just in derbies.

How on earth has the referee seen that and only deemed that to be a yellow card?

The luck they carry in games is quite incredible to be honest. How St Johnstone didn't win that game is beyond belief.

hibbysam
04-02-2018, 09:20 PM
I'm glad to see Levein's "kick anything that moves" (literally) tactic is paying off against other teams and not just in derbies.

How on earth has the referee seen that and only deemed that to be a yellow card?

The luck they carry in games is quite incredible to be honest. How St Johnstone didn't win that game is beyond belief.

Question I always want to ask is what reason the referee is giving to hand out the yellow card? The only thing that happened was he kicked out, now if the referee says it’s for the kick out then it has to be red, nothing else happens a for there to be a yellow card.

Tornadoes70
04-02-2018, 09:22 PM

The ref was Andrew Dallas son of bigot Hugh. He must have seen the yam kick out at the St johnstone player that normally for any other team would be an automatic straight red card for violent conduct, not the yams though :rolleyes:.

mon the cabbage!!!

ACLeith
04-02-2018, 09:26 PM
The ref was Andrew Dallas son of bigot Hugh. He must have seen the yam kick out at the St johnstone player that normally for any other team would be an automatic straight red card for violent conduct, not the yams though :rolleyes:.

mon the cabbage!!!
And because it's been dealt with the compliance officer can't get involved.

Geo_1875
04-02-2018, 09:51 PM
They didn't show any of the fouls that led to a booking, or the foul that led to The Rangers goal, or a detailed view of either disallowed goal. There wouldn't be anything controversial in these decisions?

pacorosssco
04-02-2018, 09:55 PM

Yes bang on just like wembley paid by tax payer hampden not

pacorosssco
04-02-2018, 09:58 PM
while believe games edited at times not reflective off game have limited time off hour to get all games in. many big points in games will be cut to fit timeslot

McD
04-02-2018, 10:44 PM
GG

The champions league does nothing of the sort, UEFA who run the champions league may do things.

and there’s no issue with playing matches on a champions league night, we’ve played hearts 2 years running on one of those, there is restrictions to broadcasting such a match however.

PatHead
04-02-2018, 10:54 PM
The reason Sportscene is not on on Saturday is that one of the old firm might not play until Sunday lunchtime. As far as BBC Glasgow are concerned it is therefore not worth showing.

Danderhall Hibs
04-02-2018, 10:56 PM
With the BBC banned from Castle Greyskull will there actually be any highlights to see ??

They’re not banned. It’s a boycott in support of one of their journalists that Rangers tried to ban.

Rob McLean dubbed the commentary on over the pictures.

The_Sauz
04-02-2018, 11:01 PM
The champions league does nothing of the sort, UEFA who run the champions league may do things.

and there’s no issue with playing matches on a champions league night, we’ve played hearts 2 years running on one of those, there is restrictions to broadcasting such a match however.
A part from losing TV revenue and exposure :rolleyes:

Hibbyradge
04-02-2018, 11:05 PM
there is restrictions to broadcasting such a match however.

I don't think there is now.

SaulGoodman
04-02-2018, 11:12 PM
They were all very complementary of us.

Ryan69
05-02-2018, 06:04 AM
Had a look and SPL deal is : 4 year £10.6 million..

Absolute joke really...

SkintHibby
05-02-2018, 06:29 AM
Read somewhere recently that Scotland has 9% of the UK population but get's 2% of the UK BBC's allocation of the budget set aside for football.:rolleyes:

Just don't get how some Scottish people cant see through the fact that on this and so, so many other things, Scotland is treated with utter contempt and an after thought by London.:agree:

CentreLine
05-02-2018, 07:28 AM
In the sixties we would rush home from the game to be in time for Sportsreel, followed by Dr Who. Now we get pretty awful fair in Saturday evening but never more so than when the crap tv is cancelled so that we can all enjoy the delights of The FA Cup live.

I agree, English football is rammed down our throats. And before I get comments, yes I do turn it off. The point is that we pay for entertainment but it is so anglocentric now, thank goodness for the record facility and catchup tv. Otherwise not just Saturday evenings would be viewing hell.

Michael
05-02-2018, 07:31 AM
Read somewhere recently that Scotland has 9% of the UK population but get's 2% of the UK BBC's allocation of the budget set aside for football.:rolleyes:

Just don't get how some Scottish people cant see through the fact that on this and so, so many other things, Scotland is treated with utter contempt and an after thought by London.:agree:

It's just terrible negotiation from the SPFL. You can't blame BBC for trying to get value for money.

The Pointer
05-02-2018, 08:37 AM
Late Saturday afternoon telly hasn't been the same since World of Sport, fights between Big Daddy and Mick McManus, and an episode of Metal Mickey to follow......before switching over to have a quick swatch at Daisy Duke washing the General Lee............changed days Iggy, changed days mate :greengrin

Watching Sam Leitch in the Cafe Royal before departing for ER.

Hibbyradge
05-02-2018, 09:11 AM

Viewing figures might be a better comparator than population.

I believe people in Scotland watch English football too.

GreenOnions
05-02-2018, 09:20 AM

I think this argument is a little misleading because of the massive distortion on a world level in this particular market caused by the English Premier League.

Having said that - if BBC Scotland sport were suddenly to be offered a lot more cash it would interfere with what appears increasingly to be a major Scottish pastime - claiming "It's no fair".

Maybe we should also be careful what we wish for. Do you think more BBC Scotland Sport cash invested in football here would imply fewer complaints from Scottish football fans about Old Firm bias or would that extra cash simply be spent on more and more Celtic and Rangers coverage?

Ryan69
05-02-2018, 10:24 AM
Viewing figures might be a better comparator than population.

I believe people in Scotland watch English football too.

Dont think you even get SPL highlight in England,apart from online.

If it was a possibility....people may watch it.

SkintHibby
05-02-2018, 10:44 AM
It's just terrible negotiation from the SPFL. You can't blame BBC for trying to get value for money.

If the SPFL asked the UK BBC for a population percentage fair ratio of funds for Scottish Football the BBC would have told them to bolt. Trust me.:agree:

Really irks me why Scots people put up with this crap.

McD
05-02-2018, 12:52 PM
A part from losing TV revenue and exposure :rolleyes:

That wasn’t what was said though. The previous post said the champions league banned other matches from being played, this is incorrect on both counts. It’s neither the champions league who ban matches, nor are the matches banned. What you’ve posted is sadly correct, but not relevant to what was said.

I don't think there is now.

Happy to be corrected mate :aok:

Northernhibee
05-02-2018, 01:06 PM
If the SPFL asked the UK BBC for a population percentage fair ratio of funds for Scottish Football the BBC would have told them to bolt. Trust me.:agree:

Really irks me why Scots people put up with this crap.
Why should they pay millions more than what is required for a product? To not upset some sensitive souls who don't understand that a product is worth only what people are willing to pay for it?

Blame the SFA for devaluing the game so much over the last few years.

blackpoolhibs
05-02-2018, 02:01 PM
What percentage do the BBC pay towards English football in ratio to the population? :confused:

brog
05-02-2018, 02:53 PM
Yes. They didn't analyse it though.

I thought it was offside at the time.

I'm not sure why their goal was ruled out either.

Both goals were offside. Ours was clearly off, theirs more marginal but still off. Good to see Scottish officials getting it right for once.

Hibbyradge
05-02-2018, 04:23 PM
Dont think you even get SPL highlight in England,apart from online.

If it was a possibility....people may watch it.

I get BBC Scotland in York and I watch Sportscene on it. Sky channel 951.

No-one else I've met watches it, ever.

greenlex
05-02-2018, 06:25 PM
Just saw the”foul” for the free kick Rangers scored from. A fee kick? Seriously? Why did Sportscene not show and discuss it? Are the fed pictures from RangersTV because of the ongoing dispute? Contentious doesn’t cover it.

Beefster
05-02-2018, 08:35 PM
What percentage do the BBC pay towards English football in ratio to the population? :confused:

It's irrelevant. The BBC, rightly, pay as little as they can to broadcast a sport.

The sad reality is that if the BBC don't pay what they do for EPL highlights packages, someone else will. That's not the case in Scotland. Anyone looking to blame the BBC for that is looking in the wrong place.

Ryan69
05-02-2018, 11:09 PM
I get BBC Scotland in York and I watch Sportscene on it. Sky channel 951.

No-one else I've met watches it, ever.

If you pay sky or virgin you do yes

Not on normal TV or freeview though. Freely available..They are not.

Hibbyradge
05-02-2018, 11:16 PM
If you pay sky or virgin you do yes

Not on normal TV or freeview though. Freely available..They are not.

That's correct.

That's because, apart from very occasional Rantic games, there is absolutely no interest in Scottish football or enthusiasm to watch it.

There's always Scottish games on BT or Sky, but even the pubs don't bother showing them, regardless if there's an English game on or not.

That's just the UK. It's even more stark across the globe.

jgl07
06-02-2018, 10:44 AM
Why should they pay millions more than what is required for a product? To not upset some sensitive souls who don't understand that a product is worth only what people are willing to pay for it?

Blame the SFA for devaluing the game so much over the last few years.
Absolutely.

Watch the highlights of a match between Hamilton Accies and Dundee in a two sided stadium with less than 2,000 in attendance and see what TV ratings that is likely to generate. Compare that with a average match in the English Premier League or even the EFL Championship and you will see why so little is paid to the SPFL.

The SPFL and before them the SPL conspired to shift as much cash to the Bigot Brothers as they could do. In England the TV money is much more evenly distributed and that has made the PL more competitive (not this season though!). Over the last six seasons, there have been four different winners: City, United, Chelsea and Leicester. In Scotland, there has been one: Celtic.

patlowe
06-02-2018, 01:34 PM
GEEK ALERT

This is slightly off-topic as it doesn't cover the highlights package, but I thought I would do a very rough comparison of TV figures to get a vague idea of whether the difference in TV deals between Scotland and England is simply the market at play, as some have suggested, or whether it is actually a case of gross mismanagement and unfairness.

I'm just on my lunch break so doing a quick comparison based on some viewing figures for live TV I have to hand. I appreciate that there are other factors at play: no. of teams, no. of games, Rantic skew etc, so a more detailed analysis would be interesting – I might consider it if I find some time and up to date data!

Scotland

In 2016/17 (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10Xam4rmrNdxm3-r_gkiRP7aroDK44HLFACIVVOrextg/edit#gid=0), the average viewing figure was 150,511 for the SPFL Premiership and 198,000 for the Scottish Cup.

The lowest average in the premiership was Dundee Utd at 62,286. The highest average in the premiership was Celtic at 211,432 (Celtic v Rangers matches tended to get between 300-500,000).

The Scottish TV live rights are worth around £19m per season.

(Interesting stats from the year before (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1v7-SRaa3ZYZbCyk68v1g74Ubf3o6XLsKAvaI2SYyPg8/edit#gid=0) - The average for Hibs in the Championship that season (obviously inflated by games vs Rangers) was 147,000 and there were 151,000 and 192,000 viewers for the cup games at Tynie over the two years. Hibs vs Falkirk in the playoffs had 126,000 and 112,000 viewers for the respective legs. The playoff final legs (between Falkirk and Killie) had 136,000 and 115,000 viewers. There were 247,000 viewers for the 2016 cup final - can’t for the life of me remember the game )

England

In the first half of 2016/17 (http://en.calcioefinanza.com/2017/02/01/premier-league-viewing-figures-continue-fall-alarming-rate/) (the only specific stats I could find on a quick search) the average viewing figure for prime time English Premiership matches (Sunday afternoons) was 1,100,000.

The lowest average was Hull with 600,000. The highest average was around 1,100,000 (Liverpool and Man United).

The English TV live rights are worth roughly £1.83bn per season.

Comparison

The average viewing figures for English football were just above 7 x those for Scottish football, and that is comparing our total average (all kick off times included) with England’s prime-time figures (as that is all I can find). This also doesn’t take into account our relatively well-watched and woefully undervalued Scottish Cup and play-off coverage. However, the reason the English stats were widely reported on is because they were apparently at a record low, so that should also be taken into account.

The highest average viewing figure for English football is just above 5 x Scottish football (Celtic vs Man U/Liverpool).

The lowest average viewing figure is just under 10 x Scottish football (Hull vs Dundee Utd).

Now that is a significant difference but, considering the populations of our nations, we are very much pulling our weight. Even if you compare the very lowest viewing figure from last season in Scotland (37,000), which is silly as it discounts the significant number of healthy audiences throughout the season, and compare it with the average in England (1.1m), it is a multiple of 29 to 30.

Now, the English Premiership receives around 95 x what Scottish football does for live TV rights. I’m not saying our deal should relate directly to the viewing figures of course but that differential is off the scale and is completely unrepresentative of how many people want to watch English and Scottish football respectively.

Conclusion

Even allowing for variables and the unscientific nature of the comparison, we are clearly absolutely shafted by the broadcasting companies and the failure of our leaders to sell our game appropriately. Is it time to take broadcasting in house?

(Credit www.thefootballlife.co.uk which is where I got the SPFL info)

Hibbyradge
06-02-2018, 02:52 PM
GEEK ALERT

This is slightly off-topic as it doesn't cover the highlights package, but I thought I would do a very rough comparison of TV figures to get a vague idea of whether the difference in TV deals between Scotland and England is simply the market at play, as some have suggested, or whether it is actually a case of gross mismanagement and unfairness.

I'm just on my lunch break so doing a quick comparison based on some viewing figures for live TV I have to hand. I appreciate that there are other factors at play: no. of teams, no. of games, Rantic skew etc, so a more detailed analysis would be interesting – I might consider it if I find some time and up to date data!

Scotland

In 2016/17 (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10Xam4rmrNdxm3-r_gkiRP7aroDK44HLFACIVVOrextg/edit#gid=0), the average viewing figure was 150,511 for the SPFL Premiership and 198,000 for the Scottish Cup.

The lowest average in the premiership was Dundee Utd at 62,286. The highest average in the premiership was Celtic at 211,432 (Celtic v Rangers matches tended to get between 300-500,000).

The Scottish TV live rights are worth around £19m per season.

(Interesting stats from the year before (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1v7-SRaa3ZYZbCyk68v1g74Ubf3o6XLsKAvaI2SYyPg8/edit#gid=0) - The average for Hibs in the Championship that season (obviously inflated by games vs Rangers) was 147,000 and there were 151,000 and 192,000 viewers for the cup games at Tynie over the two years. Hibs vs Falkirk in the playoffs had 126,000 and 112,000 viewers for the respective legs. The playoff final legs (between Falkirk and Killie) had 136,000 and 115,000 viewers. There were 247,000 viewers for the 2016 cup final - can’t for the life of me remember the game )

England

In the first half of 2016/17 (http://en.calcioefinanza.com/2017/02/01/premier-league-viewing-figures-continue-fall-alarming-rate/) (the only specific stats I could find on a quick search) the average viewing figure for prime time English Premiership matches (Sunday afternoons) was 1,100,000.

The lowest average was Hull with 600,000. The highest average was around 1,100,000 (Liverpool and Man United).

The English TV live rights are worth roughly £1.83bn per season.

Comparison

The average viewing figures for English football were just above 7 x those for Scottish football, and that is comparing our total average (all kick off times included) with England’s prime-time figures (as that is all I can find). This also doesn’t take into account our relatively well-watched and woefully undervalued Scottish Cup and play-off coverage. However, the reason the English stats were widely reported on is because they were apparently at a record low, so that should also be taken into account.

The highest average viewing figure for English football is just above 5 x Scottish football (Celtic vs Man U/Liverpool).

The lowest average viewing figure is just under 10 x Scottish football (Hull vs Dundee Utd).

Now that is a significant difference but, considering the populations of our nations, we are very much pulling our weight. Even if you compare the very lowest viewing figure from last season in Scotland (37,000), which is silly as it discounts the significant number of healthy audiences throughout the season, and compare it with the average in England (1.1m), it is a multiple of 29 to 30.

Now, the English Premiership receives around 95 x what Scottish football does for live TV rights. I’m not saying our deal should relate directly to the viewing figures of course but that differential is off the scale and is completely unrepresentative of how many people want to watch English and Scottish football respectively.

Conclusion

Even allowing for variables and the unscientific nature of the comparison, we are clearly absolutely shafted by the broadcasting companies and the failure of our leaders to sell our game appropriately. Is it time to take broadcasting in house?

(Credit www.thefootballlife.co.uk which is where I got the SPFL info)

The £1.83bn figure you quote isn't from the BBC.

THE BBC paid £204m for 3 years highlights in 2015.

MOTD gets around 4m viewers.

People in Scotland aren't getting shafted.

patlowe
06-02-2018, 03:14 PM
The £1.83bn figure you quote isn't from the BBC.

THE BBC paid £204m for 3 years highlights in 2015.

MOTD gets around 4m viewers.

People in Scotland aren't getting shafted.

As I noted, I was going off topic to take a broader look at TV rights (specifically live) rather than the BBC or highlights. Apologies, I shouldn't conflate the BBC with my comments re subscription broadcasting companies.

WhileTheChief..
06-02-2018, 03:21 PM
The EPL has a huge following worldwide.

Think of the amount that they earn from selling tv rights in Taiwan, Japan, China etc. These are huge markets.

I don’t think we can blame Doncaster etc for not getting billions for the rights to Dundee v Hamilton!

I know it’s not a popular view but the Old Firm is where the interest from abroad comes. That means any new deal is only going to make them richer.

We might get a few more quid but the gap would increase further between the Old Firm and the rest.

patlowe
06-02-2018, 03:26 PM
The EPL has a huge following worldwide.

Think of the amount that they earn from selling tv rights in Taiwan, Japan, China etc. These are huge markets.

I don’t think we can blame Doncaster etc for not getting billions for the rights to Dundee v Hamilton!

I know it’s not a popular view but the Old Firm is where the interest from abroad comes. That means any new deal is only going to make them richer.

We might get a few more quid but the gap would increase further between the Old Firm and the rest.

The overseas deal is entirely separate though. It still doesn't explain why 10 times as many viewers equates to 100 times as much money for the rights.

For Dundee V Hamilton see Stoke v West Brom. It's all relative.

WhileTheChief..
06-02-2018, 03:36 PM
Simple explanation is that companies were fighting over the rights to show the EPL and were willing to pay mega bucks. Probably will again in the future as it’s well worth it to them to do so.

It’s just not the case with Scottish football. There is very little, if any, interest in it outwith Scotland.

It’s no ones fault and there doesn’t need to be anyone to blame, it’s just the way it is.

Similarly BT pay for the rights to show Italian, German and French football here. They don’t for the Finnish, Latvian or Belgian leagues though. Why? Because there isn’t a market for it here.

We are trying to compare our league with the richest and most popular in the world. Madness.

Hibbyradge
06-02-2018, 03:39 PM
Apologies, I shouldn't conflate the BBC with my comments re subscription broadcasting companies.

Yeah, it was that which prompted my reply.

I can't find Sportscene viewing figures anywhere so it's difficult to make a direct comparison between the £2.8m per year paid by the BBC to Scottish football and the £68m to the English FA.

However, the SPFL valued its highlights at £3m so it's receiving close to that.

As an aside, I wonder how much the BBC pays for highlights of Welsh and N Irish football.

Hibbyradge
06-02-2018, 03:42 PM
The overseas deal is entirely separate though. It still doesn't explain why 10 times as many viewers equates to 100 times as much money for the rights.

For Dundee V Hamilton see Stoke v West Brom. It's all relative.

It's many times more than 10 times, though.

There are 2 live English games on a Saturday, often 3 on a Sunday, and games throughout the week.

There's usually 1 Scottish game, sometimes two, sometimes none.

patlowe
06-02-2018, 03:46 PM
Yeah, it was that which prompted my reply.

I can't find Sportscene viewing figures anywhere so it's difficult to make a direct comparison between the £2.8m per year paid by the BBC to Scottish football and the £68m to the English FA.

However, the SPFL valued its highlights at £3m so it's receiving close to that.

As an aside, I wonder how much the BBC pays for highlights of Welsh and N Irish football.

Looking at your figures re highlights I would say the BBC probably pay a fair rate for Scottish highlights. I wouldn't imagine the viewing figures for Sportscene would be great at all, although that's purely speculation on my part and issues around scheduling, production quality and the cultural significance of MOTD make it hard to compare.

Hibbyradge
06-02-2018, 03:52 PM
There are 12 SPFL Premiership games live on TV between today and 1 April. There are 30 live EPL games.

Factor in the quality and the salaries and it's easier to understand the high cost of screening the games.

Sammy7nil
06-02-2018, 03:54 PM
Looking at your figures re highlights I would say the BBC probably pay a fair rate for Scottish highlights. I wouldn't imagine the viewing figures for Sportscene would be great at all, although that's purely speculation on my part and issues around scheduling, production quality and the cultural significance of MOTD make it hard to compare.

That has a massive impact on viewing figures.

patlowe
06-02-2018, 04:01 PM
It's many times more than 10 times, though.

There are 2 live English games on a Saturday, often 3 on a Sunday, and games throughout the week.

There's usually 1 Scottish game, sometimes two, sometimes none.

That is a good point, and a more in-depth analysis would be useful. I am not naive enough to think that we could get anywhere close to what the English game gets in TV money but the intention is to show that it is not one man and his dog watching Scottish games while huge armies of people around the UK sit and watch English matches. Far from it, yet that is what people suggest when they justify us getting a miniscule percentage of what other leagues get for TV rights.

Hibbyradge
06-02-2018, 04:06 PM
That is a good point, and a more in-depth analysis would be useful. I am not naive enough to think that we could get anywhere close to what the English game gets in TV money but the intention is to show that it is not one man and his dog watching Scottish games while huge armies of people around the UK sit and watch English matches. Far from it, yet that is what people suggest when they justify us getting a miniscule percentage of what other leagues get for TV rights.

It would be interesting to find out how many people in Scotland watch the live English games too.

Very, very few people in England watch the Scottish games.

Edit: I was the only person in the pub watching the game at Tiny in the 2016 Scottish Cup. There were 2 big screens and a large TV showing the English games, and Hibs were on a tiny screen at the back.

When Hanlon scored the equaliser, I instinctively jumped to my feet and shouted "Get in there, ya f***ing" beauty", at the top of my voice.

Everyone immediately shut up, turned around and looked at me standing there with my arms in the air :faf:

ancient hibee
06-02-2018, 04:07 PM
It’s actually very difficult to get a true picture(no pun)There is the difference between subscription,where income from subscribers and advertising,particularly gambling,plays a part in reducing the cost to the TV companies,and free TV.As stated there are often half a dozen more English than Scottish games on in any one week so it’s not just the average viewing figures to think about.I wonder if the average viewers are domestic ones only because clearly the pubs and clubs contribute to the numbers particularly for SKY and BT.The whole subject is interesting and I read somewhere that Doncaster has negotiated an increase for Scottish games to take effect next season.

patlowe
06-02-2018, 04:20 PM
It would be interesting to find out how many people in Scotland watch the live English games too.

I would agree on both points. I would also be interested to see how many subscriptions there are in Scotland (although this may be depressingly Old Firm based) and how many would cancel if they stopped showing Scottish football. It may or may not be significant.

Beefster
06-02-2018, 07:01 PM
As I noted, I was going off topic to take a broader look at TV rights (specifically live) rather than the BBC or highlights. Apologies, I shouldn't conflate the BBC with my comments re subscription broadcasting companies.

Viewing figures are not particularly relevant for Sky, beyond driving advertising sales. They pay big bucks for the things that drive customers to take out sport subscriptions.

PatHead
07-02-2018, 11:25 AM
Does anyone know how much Sky pays for rugby league and their viewing figures?

Geo_1875
07-02-2018, 11:41 AM
SKY are guilty of not supporting football in Scotland. Travel to any European country and SKY will advertise and broadcast domestic football to an extent that we can only dream of. It may be that other countries football authorities (or possibly even governments) have more clout than we do in Scotland.

SouthMoroccoStu
07-02-2018, 11:55 AM

Edit: I was the only person in the pub watching the game at Tiny in the 2016 Scottish Cup. There were 2 big screens and a large TV showing the English games, and Hibs were on a tiny screen at the back.

When Hanlon scored the equaliser, I instinctively jumped to my feet and shouted "Get in there, ya f***ing" beauty", at the top of my voice.

Everyone immediately shut up, turned around and looked at me standing there with my arms in the air :faf:

LOL

I did that exact same thing! Celebrating all by myself like an escaped mental patient

My wife went to the bar to get more drinks, the barmaid said "he'll be happy they won" "No they only got a draw" was her eye rolling response

Kato
07-02-2018, 12:03 PM
SKY are guilty of not supporting football in Scotland. Travel to any European country and SKY will advertise and broadcast domestic football to an extent that we can only dream of. It may be that other countries football authorities (or possibly even governments) have more clout than we do in Scotland.

It's a deliberate policy following their "discussions/negotiations" with Roger Mitchell and the collapse of new TV deal at the start of the century. Nothing to do with how much money could be made or lost i.e. not a commercial decision but an ideological one after an argument with someone (very badly) representing Scottish football.

poolman
07-02-2018, 12:34 PM
Just seen it on the Beeb

I noticed they never showed the non-existent foul which led to their equaliser :rolleyes:

McD
07-02-2018, 02:27 PM

Overexageration much? Any European country?

doesnt the same argument made earlier about the beeb apply here also, why should/would any organisation pay more than they need to for something?

Its highly likely we’d have a far better tv deal if the old firm/spy leaders hadn’t tried to be smart and created spl tv, and at the same time told broadcasters we weren’t interested in their money. Look where that’s led us. When we also have the likes of Doncaster confidently predicting disaster when rangers restarted in the 4th tier, it’s hardly likely to see any broadcaster clamouring to throw money at Scottish football. The administrators of spl/sfa/spfl have done an outstanding job of talking down their own product, highlighting how pathetically OF focussed they are, and underselling Scottish football.

JIm
07-02-2018, 02:39 PM

doesnt the same argument made earlier about the beeb apply here also, why should/would any organisation pay more than they need to for something?

Its highly likely we’d have a far better tv deal if the old firm/spy leaders hadn’t tried to be smart and created spl tv, and at the same time told broadcasters we weren’t interested in their money. Look where that’s led us. When we also have the likes of Doncaster confidently predicting disaster when rangers restarted in the 4th tier, it’s hardly likely to see any broadcaster clamouring to throw money at Scottish football. The administrators of spl/sfa/spfl have done an outstanding job of talking down their own product, highlighting how pathetically OF focussed they are, and underselling Scottish football.

And along with the little bit I highlighted worth mentioning our media as well who are just as bad.

McD
07-02-2018, 02:41 PM
And along with the little bit I highlighted worth mentioning our media as well who are just as bad.

Totally agree :aok:

hhibs
07-02-2018, 04:02 PM

An SFPL tv channel certainly makes some sense,technology is much cheaper now and the Dutch League appear to have been able to do it successfully.However with the no talents that are in charge of Scottish Football it would be difficult to trust them arranging a piss up in an open Brewery.

Beefster
07-02-2018, 05:49 PM
An SFPL tv channel certainly makes some sense,technology is much cheaper now and the Dutch League appear to have been able to do it successfully.However with the no talents that are in charge of Scottish Football it would be difficult to trust them arranging a piss up in an open Brewery.

It’s a tough proposition, even if the folk running it are brilliant. For it to be worth the bother, they’d need to get enough subscribers to cover the costs of running the operation, the costs of broadcasting enough games to make subscriptions worth taking up and make more for the clubs that the current TV deals. You also take the risk that, if it all goes tits up, you’ve ****ed off Sky and BT again and they end up lowballing any future offers.

Holland are >3 times the size of us so that makes it much less of a risk for them.

I’ll be honest, I’m not that fussed about watching any Scottish games that don’t involve Hibs. Five minute highlights are enough for me and I wouldn’t pay for those. I don’t pay for Sky Sports though and get BT for free so I’m maybe a special case.

ancient hibee
07-02-2018, 05:50 PM
Would a SPFL channel make the money after set up costs that is available from selling rights to the broadcasters?

worcesterhibby
07-02-2018, 06:56 PM
Apologies if this point has already been made and I missed it. But surely the issue we should have with the the BBC is not what they pay to buy the rights to show highlights (why should they pay more than the going rate), but why they spend so little on the production values of transmitting those highlights. The budget for Sportscene is a fraction of what they pay just one of their presenters on Match of the Day. While the BBC have every right to pay as little as possible to actually buy the rights, I do find it anti-scottish that they put so little budget towards the producing of a top class programme and multi camera highlights.

A slicker, better produced programme that is well promoted and advertised, would enhance the value of the product they are selling and in turn gain more viewers, In short it would be good for Scottish football and good for the BBC.

Now just don't get me on the subject of how much money they spend on showing American Football and how much coverage it gets on the website !!! GRRRRR:grr::grr::grr:

Eyrie
07-02-2018, 09:16 PM
Apologies if this point has already been made and I missed it. But surely the issue we should have with the the BBC is not what they pay to buy the rights to show highlights (why should they pay more than the going rate), but why they spend so little on the production values of transmitting those highlights. The budget for Sportscene is a fraction of what they pay just one of their presenters on Match of the Day. While the BBC have every right to pay as little as possible to actually buy the rights, I do find it anti-scottish that they put so little budget towards the producing of a top class programme and multi camera highlights.

A slicker, better produced programme that is well promoted and advertised, would enhance the value of the product they are selling and in turn gain more viewers, In short it would be good for Scottish football and good for the BBC.

Now just don't get me on the subject of how much money they spend on showing American Football and how much coverage it gets on the website !!! GRRRRR:grr::grr::grr:
As an Eagles fan I thoroughly approve of every penny they spent bringing me our SuperBowl win:thumbsup:

On the other hand the BBC cover plenty of other sports that I have no interest in (darts, rugby league, horse racing etc). It's part of their remit as a public service broadcaster to cover a broad spread.

WhileTheChief..
07-02-2018, 10:34 PM
Doesn’t BBC Scotland have it’s own budget?

It’s up to them whether they spend it on Sportscene, River City or anything else.

As for Alba, they get to show full games with decent access to the players and managers yet only pay a few quid a season. They should be told to bolt.

I’d imagaine the Scottish Givernment is involved in this somehow, maybe they should cough up some cash to the game if they want us to put up with their poxy Gaelic commentary.

Michael
07-02-2018, 10:41 PM
Would a SPFL channel make the money after set up costs that is available from selling rights to the broadcasters?

In terms of subscription:

100,000 subscribers at £15 a month over 10 months of the year is £15m pounds.

Say that selling adverts was enough to roughly cover broadcasting costs (which is probably optimistic) then we'd still be short of the current deal (which is 18.5m I think).

Sammy7nil
07-02-2018, 10:42 PM
As an Eagles fan I thoroughly approve of every penny they spent bringing me our SuperBowl win:thumbsup:

On the other hand the BBC cover plenty of other sports that I have no interest in (darts, rugby league, horse racing etc). It's part of their remit as a public service broadcaster to cover a broad spread.

Horse racing is long gone from the beeb
Not even the National is shown anymore

Danderhall Hibs
07-02-2018, 10:45 PM
Horse racing is long gone from the beeb
Not even the National is shown anymore

Don’t think the darts is on anymore either - C4 and BT share the BDO coverage.

What do the BBC have left?

J-C
08-02-2018, 09:49 AM
In terms of subscription:

100,000 subscribers at £15 a month over 10 months of the year is £15m pounds.

Say that selling adverts was enough to roughly cover broadcasting costs (which is probably optimistic) then we'd still be short of the current deal (which is 18.5m I think).

The same thinking as Setanta and look what happened there.