PDA

View Full Version : How does this compare?

WhileTheChief..
03-02-2018, 07:46 PM
This is definitely my favourite time as a Hibs fan.

More so than when we had McLeish or Mowbray or when we won the cups under Miller and Collins.

For those of you that can remember back to the early 70s or before, how does this compare?

How do you rate this ‘era’ to previous ones?

Famous Fiver
03-02-2018, 07:53 PM
Getting there.

For me, tail end of the famous five, Joe Baker in both spells)

Beating Napoli, Real Madrid, Barcelona were right up there.

Tornadoes, Mowbray's team, League Cup wins and of course, 21.05.2016 were all memorable.

Money talks now so it is more difficult to upset the odds so the present time is very pleasing!!

Just another high point in a lifetime of following the Hibees.

Jeez, did I just play it down, and here's me high as a kite!!!

houstonhibbee
03-02-2018, 07:56 PM

More so than when we had McLeish or Mowbray or when we won the cups under Miller and Collins.

For those of you that can remember back to the early 70s or before, how does this compare?

Apart from Scottish Cup nothing can come close for me to the Tornadoes - specifically the period from July 72 to jan 73...

SirDavidsNapper
03-02-2018, 08:04 PM
It's an era we'll look back on fondly

Joe6-2
03-02-2018, 08:05 PM
Apart from Scottish Cup nothing can come close for me to the Tornadoes - specifically the period from July 72 to jan 73...

This

lucky
03-02-2018, 08:21 PM
Winning the Scottish cup, regularly not losing to them, regularly beating Rangers, record average attendances, even winning away in Europe. This is a good time to be a Hibs fan but the football played under Mowbray’s team was the most entertaining

lord bunberry
03-02-2018, 08:24 PM
The good thing is that this era is ongoing and none of us know where it will end. We’ve already won the Scottish Cup and I don’t think that’s going to be all we win. It’s a great time to be a hibs fan. We should all enjoy it.

Arch Stanton
03-02-2018, 08:36 PM

I could be wrong but I don't think we were beating rangers as much in the seventies.

With Mowbray and Stubbs they seemed to get things right from the off and they were certainly good times. With Lennon he has made mistakes but has learned from them and he has put together a smashing team. (Or at least him and Leeann as the Allan - Murray - Bain deal was a stunning piece of business.)

penihibs
03-02-2018, 08:38 PM

This for me aswell.

hibby6270
03-02-2018, 08:50 PM
Tornadoes era was magical and should have gone on longer.

2 things put paid to a prolonged period of success.

Onion’s leg break and Edwards’ ban for 8 or 9 games being the first. That coupled with Turnbull’s tinkering with the team when least expected. Turned out there was an inconsistency that crept in.

Different times nowadays. The games quicker. More games are played. Players need to be fitter, so rotation is now an accepted part of the game. BUT if Lennon can keep a core of this team playing week in week out, then good times could be ahead once again.

In 10, 20, 30 years time we’ll be waxing lyrical about the Lennon era (well maybe not me in 30 years. I’m too old.:greengrin)

Baker9
03-02-2018, 08:54 PM
Getting there.

For me, tail end of the famous five, Joe Baker in both spells)

Beating Napoli, Real Madrid, Barcelona were right up there.

Tornadoes, Mowbray's team, League Cup wins and of course, 21.05.2016 were all memorable.

Money talks now so it is more difficult to upset the odds so the present time is very pleasing!!

Just another high point in a lifetime of following the Hibees.

Jeez, did I just play it down, and here's me high as a kite!!!

We must be around the same age and I can empathise with you. I have a strong feeling about this era we are in, even more so than McLeish / Mowbray. It is based firstly on my belief in the Dempster/Lennon combination and secondly a feeling that, after the recent window, we have the individuals in this team to be very special. I loved the Turnbull era because every single player was talented and it really was exciting watching them. This group promises excitement. We have won the cup and I honestly believe that we could win the league in the next 3 years in a Leicester City kind of way.

bordergreen
03-02-2018, 09:26 PM

I said to a young Hibs Fan I was talking to at the beginning of the season that this is the best Team/Manager combination I have seen in my time watching Hibs. I have been attending Easter Road since 1979.

I am not a gambler, but put £10 on us at the beginning of the season at 150/1 to win the league. Optimistic in the extreme, maybe, but who would have thought Leicester would have done what they did.

Stubbs deserves some credit, he helped bring the feel good factor back to Hibs, and left Lennon with a fantastic starting point.

I see threads on here regularly calling Lennon out, and sometimes I even struggle to see what the game plan was. We all have a bad day at the office occasionally. Anyone who says they get it right every time, in everything they do in their life, is obviously delusional.

I think he sometimes sticks with the game plan because he has absolute confidence in what he wants the team to do. If the players believe then something will click. How many games have we won or salvaged with a late comeback. That confidence comes from the manager.

He made some big, brave squad changes in the recent window. Early indications are they are going to be very positive.

Make no mistake, Lennon is a winner. Everything we have been crying out for, for years. I love his passion, his clear love for the club and his winning mentality.

I wish people would give him a break about his Celtic connection. He will always be asked about it, he is such an important part of their history. Because he did so well there.

We should think ourselves lucky to have him, and enjoy him whilst he is here. I think he will do great things with us.

Combined with having Leanne Dempster, this is a great time to be a Hibby.

GGTTH

Sammy7nil
03-02-2018, 09:29 PM
This group promises excitement. We have won the cup and I honestly believe that we could win the league in the next 3 years in a Leicester City kind of way.

Step back from the whisky bottle :greengrin:wink:

The Pointer
03-02-2018, 10:36 PM
I said to a young Hibs Fan I was talking to at the beginning of the season that this is the best Team/Manager combination I have seen in my time watching Hibs. I have been attending Easter Road since 1979.

I am not a gambler, but put £10 on us at the beginning of the season at 150/1 to win the league. Optimistic in the extreme, maybe, but who would have thought Leicester would have done what they did.

Stubbs deserves some credit, he helped bring the feel good factor back to Hibs, and left Lennon with a fantastic starting point.

I see threads on here regularly calling Lennon out, and sometimes I even struggle to see what the game plan was. We all have a bad day at the office occasionally. Anyone who says they get it right every time, in everything they do in their life, is obviously delusional.

I think he sometimes sticks with the game plan because he has absolute confidence in what he wants the team to do. If the players believe then something will click. How many games have we won or salvaged with a late comeback. That confidence comes from the manager.

He made some big, brave squad changes in the recent window. Early indications are they are going to be very positive.

Make no mistake, Lennon is a winner. Everything we have been crying out for, for years. I love his passion, his clear love for the club and his winning mentality.

I wish people would give him a break about his Celtic connection. He will always be asked about it, he is such an important part of their history. Because he did so well there.

We should think ourselves lucky to have him, and enjoy him whilst he is here. I think he will do great things with us.

Combined with having Leanne Dempster, this is a great time to be a Hibby.

GGTTH

Having been through the bad times (of which there have been many) I sometimes have to kick myself to appreciate what we, as Hibbies, are currently experiencing. As I see Lennon winning games such as this with such verve and confidence (and in the circumstances with so many changes of personnel), and although we're only fourth, I realise we can only get better. These are heady days indeed.

Biggie
03-02-2018, 10:47 PM
Nothing compares to the heady days of pumping hearts 7-0, beating sporting Lisbon 6-1, Having Juventus rock up at ER, playing leeds utd off the park, a whisker of putting Liverpool out, the huge terracing, the majestic team we had then......maybe looking thru the eyes of a 13 year old has made me biased, but I don't think this team is a patch on TT's.

Stantons Angel
03-02-2018, 11:40 PM
I must admit that i am enjoying this spell of watching Hibs.

the vast difference in our team and support is that we are together as one. and we are a formidable force to go up against!

Today Rangers tried to kick us off the park but we stood up to them and gave as good as we got first half and a great result too.

The Tornadoes though were something else.... poetry in motion sheer Hibs Class. If you think Marvin is a "destroyer" John Blackley took no prisoners every game!

Pat Stanton was sheer class with a touch of gracefulness, no one could lace his boots!

As someone else has said if Edwards hadnt been banned for eight games, Brownlie not broken his leg we would have won the league!

This present team has time to make its mark. Some of the football they have played this season has been sublime and i hope the continue playing like that.

To me though no one could beat the Tornadoes !

Just Jimmy
03-02-2018, 11:53 PM
I was a teenager during Mcleish and Mowbray and they always rank highly. I loved those teams. 2007 was my first major trophy and outside the Scottish cup will probably be my favourite forever.

The Scottish cup win was the best thing ever as a Hibs fan. nothing else comes close.

I love this team. They play with an arrogance and a swagger and they fear no one and can beat anyone. I just hope they get what they deserve.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Jones28
04-02-2018, 12:02 AM
I was a teenager during Mcleish and Mowbray and they always rank highly. I loved those teams. 2007 was my first major trophy and outside the Scottish cup will probably be my favourite forever.

The Scottish cup win was the best thing ever as a Hibs fan. nothing else comes close.

I love this team. They play with an arrogance and a swagger and they fear no one and can beat anyone. I just hope they get what they deserve.

Couldn't have said it better 👍👍

Alfiembra
04-02-2018, 12:11 AM
Have to agree with all the TT generation they were something special.

I think there is a similarity in that now there is no fear playing the old firm, back in the Tornadoes days was the same, I always felt Hibs could get a result against them. But the biggest difference for me is they were devastating in front of goal and regularly hit teams literally for six, (or 7)this team hasn’t mastered that yet. But very happy tonight been getting right up my Gers mates from work.

GGTTH

monktonharp
04-02-2018, 12:23 AM
Tornadoes era was magical and should have gone on longer.

2 things put paid to a prolonged period of success.

Onion’s leg break and Edwards’ ban for 8 or 9 games being the first. That coupled with Turnbull’s tinkering with the team when least expected. Turned out there was an inconsistency that crept in.

Different times nowadays. The games quicker. More games are played. Players need to be fitter, so rotation is now an accepted part of the game. BUT if Lennon can keep a core of this team playing week in week out, then good times could be ahead once again.

In 10, 20, 30 years time we’ll be waxing lyrical about the Lennon era (well maybe not me in 30 years. I’m too old.:greengrin)I'm with you on the tornadoes era.I was never a Turnbull lover, for some reason but we played on a world beating basis regularly if you look back at some results and a lot were in Euro games. all of the above, re-Onion/Edwards etc and we should have won the League at least once then. Pat Stanton's move nearly broke my heart. In more modern times, McLeish was great and Mowbray fantastic......we formed our supporters branch then!. the SC win and all that's come since has been a great time, especially for our younger fans who will be Hibbies for life. met a 16 year old in Porty high street tonight who had his colours on and had been at Ibrox. magic time for our fans and Lennon is playing his part .let's hope he stays around a wee while:aok:

One Day Soon
04-02-2018, 12:32 AM
This could all end in six months if we lose Lennon, Dempster, whatever...

But if we don't and we keep them for three years or so this could be the the time of our lives. The Scottish Cup win, in every single regard you can think of, was basically a ready to go film script. The stuff of fantasy. That has marked the end of one version of Hibernian and the birth of another. Everything changed that day - the team, the club and the support.

To me this already feels pretty special and I think its going to get better.

FilipinoHibs
04-02-2018, 12:34 AM

nothing compares to TT. class and panache flowed through the whole team. they played with a team flair I have not seen at Hibs since.

StevieCowan
04-02-2018, 07:58 AM
I go back to the early 80’s watching Hibs so missed the TT era

However if you take everything in the round, Stadium, East Mains, the attendances, the atmosphere and then chuck in solid defence.. a midfield of
McGeoucgh McGinn Alan Boyle

Then it is the best time ever for me.

Plus Lennon as manager and add in boardroom stability and some finance.

Fantasy football stuff but if you put in Leigh Griffiths up top then I’d fancy us to take the league to the last 4-5 games.

southsider
04-02-2018, 08:05 AM
This

But we rarely won at I pox now we rarely loose.

Onion
04-02-2018, 08:31 AM
These a good times and should be relished, but don't come close to the early Tornados. We were beating some of the best teams in Europe, regularly beat Rangers and Hearts and only failed to win the Cup and League because Celtic were the best team in Britain at the time. But the main difference is we scored tons of goals from all over the park. When a team got beat, they stayed beat :greengrin

CorrieHibs
04-02-2018, 08:41 AM
To the guys that seen hibs in the 70s. How did we not win the league and more trophies? I know we won the league in 72, but should we have won more?

It sounded a great period with some great results.

I have to agree, this is very exciting times. I still worry in the summer if we lose Lennon. I hope not and he stays for at least another season or 2!

Is It On....
04-02-2018, 09:32 AM

I was a teenager during the Alex Miller era so highlights were pretty sparce and football wasn't particularly exciting. However, winning the League Cup was amazing as I went with my dad. I left him in the living room sleeping after watching the highlights on the "video" and I got a row the next morning for leaving the lights on 😂.

southsider
04-02-2018, 09:51 AM
Now this is going to coz a rammy by I think the TT were fantastic footballers we lacked bottle. Two many big game we were let down. op was correct about Brown lie/Edwards but if we had signed George Stewart then we would have never lost goals like we did then, good pal and huge Hibby

superfurryhibby
04-02-2018, 10:03 AM
Now this is going to coz a rammy by I think the TT were fantastic footballers we lacked bottle. Two many big game we were let down. op was correct about Brown lie/Edwards but if we had signed George Stewart then we would have never lost goals like we did then, good pal and huge Hibby

We never lacked bottle, we were just up against a Celtic team that remained as one ofmthe best in Europe and a Hun team capable of winning the European Cup Winners Cup. However, if Turnbull had signed a centre half and a goalie instead of Joe Harper, we might just have had what it took tomwin the League instead of finishing second two years in a row.

superfurryhibby
04-02-2018, 10:06 AM
We should just enjoy this team and the remainder of the season. Too much hysteria on here at times when things have gone against us. What this season so far has shown is that we are a good team and although we have our weaknesses, we also have considerable strengths. Remember that Sauzee etal finished 6th in their first season back in the SPL, this lot are going to do better than that!

Forza Fred
04-02-2018, 11:08 AM
nothing compares to TT. class and panache flowed through the whole team. they played with a team flair I have not seen at Hibs since.

Us auld farts were lucky.

Apart from the Scottish Cup win,nothing compares with the 7-0 game.

We just expected that we would win every game (we didn’t of course) but we expected to, as if it was, erm...the natural order of things!

Baker9
04-02-2018, 11:29 AM
Step back from the whisky bottle :greengrin:wink:

Just remember if it happens, You read it here first. :agree:

ancient hibee
04-02-2018, 12:11 PM
For a few months Jock Stein’s team was the best I’ve ever seen in Hibs jerseys.

Bobo
04-02-2018, 12:38 PM
Nothing compares to the heady days of pumping hearts 7-0, beating sporting Lisbon 6-1, Having Juventus rock up at ER, playing leeds utd off the park, a whisker of putting Liverpool out, the huge terracing, the majestic team we had then......maybe looking thru the eyes of a 13 year old has made me biased, but I don't think this team is a patch on TT's.

This, I agree fully, the Tornadoes deserved to win more honours than they did. If It wasn't for Celtic's 9 in a row team, at that time, they would have.

The Tornadoes were very special and such a joy to watch. We may have seen a few decent Hibs squads since but nothing comes close to the team Turnbull put together IMO.

:flag::flag:

Halmyre Hibee
04-02-2018, 01:21 PM
Nothing will beat the Tornadoes team for me mainly because I was 13/14 at the time and my team Hibs were as good as any in the land and beyond. Given the ups and mainly downs since then and the fact I’m now 58 I can only say enjoy this era. The Scottish Cup win kicked this club into a new era of belief and confidence and given the current management team, standard of current squad and the loyal support then there’s no reason why we shouldn’t consistently be challenging at the top end of the table with the odd cup win here and there. I for one am very optimistic that we can maintain a very good footballing team in modern day Scottish football. GGTTH.

matty_f
04-02-2018, 01:26 PM
Good thread. :agree:

I grew up with Alex Miller's team, which had its moments, particularly when Jackson and Wright were our forwards, and the Skol Cup win was my first taste of cup success and an incredible day.

McLeish probably put together the most talented side I can remember, with Sauzee and Latapy the obvious standouts. The wasn't a side I was particularly bothered about facing with that team, and I suppose we were unlucky that the Old Firm had really good sides at that point as well.

Mowbray's team was probably my favourite until we won the Scottish Cup. The 2007 final (under Collins) was the pinnacle for that side, however before that Mowbray had taken them to Glasgow and got convincing wins against both Rangers and Celtic.

That team was a delight to watch, they were fearless and skillful, and attacked quickly and effectively. They rightly earned a reputation as the best footballing side in Scotland when they were at the top of their game.

However, this generation from Stubbs' first season in the Championship through to Lennon now, has given us some incredible moments, not least of which was that day in May '16, the most famous day in our history.

We also have some relatively special players at the club now, and they're special for different reasons. Stevenson for the way that he has epitomised what Leith is about: perseverance; Hanlon for being the home grown classy centre half, McGregor who is living the dream and plays every match like he knows he's living the dream, Sir David Gray the winning goal scoring club captain, Super John McGinn full of talent, swagger and humility, Boyle who has worked on his game and improved dramatically while he's been at the club.

This side isn't the best we've ever had, but by a distance they're my favourite. They repeatedly make me proud, and they play for the jersey. There's not a soul in that side that I grudge paying my money to watch. They all play like that know what it means to pull on the jersey and, as we saw yesterday, they'll run through walls for the badge.

hibsbollah
04-02-2018, 01:47 PM

I grew up with Alex Miller's team, which had its moments, particularly when Jackson and Wright were our forwards, and the Skol Cup win was my first taste of cup success and an incredible day.

McLeish probably put together the most talented side I can remember, with Sauzee and Latapy the obvious standouts. The wasn't a side I was particularly bothered about facing with that team, and I suppose we were unlucky that the Old Firm had really good sides at that point as well.

Mowbray's team was probably my favourite until we won the Scottish Cup. The 2007 final (under Collins) was the pinnacle for that side, however before that Mowbray had taken them to Glasgow and got convincing wins against both Rangers and Celtic.

That team was a delight to watch, they were fearless and skillful, and attacked quickly and effectively. They rightly earned a reputation as the best footballing side in Scotland when they were at the top of their game.

However, this generation from Stubbs' first season in the Championship through to Lennon now, has given us some incredible moments, not least of which was that day in May '16, the most famous day in our history.

We also have some relatively special players at the club now, and they're special for different reasons. Stevenson for the way that he has epitomised what Leith is about: perseverance; Hanlon for being the home grown classy centre half, McGregor who is living the dream and plays every match like he knows he's living the dream, Sir David Gray the winning goal scoring club captain, Super John McGinn full of talent, swagger and humility, Boyle who has worked on his game and improved dramatically while he's been at the club.

This side isn't the best we've ever had, but by a distance they're my favourite. They repeatedly make me proud, and they play for the jersey. There's not a soul in that side that I grudge paying my money to watch. They all play like that know what it means to pull on the jersey and, as we saw yesterday, they'll run through walls for the badge.

Very good post and also sums up my feelings. I would also add that i liked Collins' team a lot as well, and the benji zemmama double act gave us that unpredictability that's always fun, but that team never had the roll up the sleeves characters that you describe very well (with the possible exception of Big Rob Jones) that we have right across the squad now and which makes us the side we are.

KWJ
04-02-2018, 01:51 PM

Great post bud.

As well as the Scottish lads we've had folk from further afield who have come in maybe not knowing too much about the Hibs but just seem to get it. Marv (who didnt play much his first few months), Fonts (who wrote a bloody song about us), King Dom, Rocky seems settled, Efe looks happy, Holt was a perfect fit. Even losing big characters or talismen like Scott Allan or Jason Cummings doesn't seem to slow us down, hell they even come back

Famous Fiver
04-02-2018, 02:55 PM
Two additional 'good times' to add to my previous post.

1.01.1973 and the Sauzee, Latapy era.