PDA

View Full Version : Jamie Maclaren

SideBurns
03-02-2018, 07:31 PM
It takes a guid pair of George Bernard Shaws to volunteer to take a penalty at Ibrox to win us the gemme, so early in his career at Hibs when he hasn't scored yet. Misses that, and (unless we had gone on to win anyway) he has put himself under big pressure.

Forza Fred
03-02-2018, 07:48 PM
It takes a guid pair of George Bernard Shaws to volunteer to take a penalty at Ibrox to win us the gemme, so early in his career at Hibs when he hasn't scored yet. Misses that, and (unless we had gone on to win anyway) he has put himself under big pressure.

Generally speaking Australian sports people are renowned for their 'have a go!" attitude and approach.

Whatever Jamie MacLaren may be found to be lacking, it certainly won't be courage!!

His best day in Europe though,has him in the history books as scoring the winner at Ibrox in front of 50,000 but still being 'the substitute who was substituted!",,,can see elements of that that being a trivia question in years to come!

greenlex
03-02-2018, 07:52 PM
Generally speaking Australian sports people are renowned for their 'have a go!" attitude and approach.

Whatever Jamie MacLaren may be found to be lacking, it certainly won't be courage!!

His best day in Europe though,has him in the history books as scoring the winner at Ibrox in front of 50,000 but still being 'the substitute who was substituted!",,,can see elements of that that being a trivia question in years to come!
I get it youve seen the guy more than the rest of us and don’t rate him but there is absolutely no need for this negative pish. I get there is a chance he could make you look silly and I for one hopes he does.

hibs#1
03-02-2018, 07:53 PM
Watched on a dodgy link on my phone so not the best viewing.however I thought he looked good quick and good movement and obviously brave as well to take the pen.

His goal in the 1st half looked good to me why was it disallowed? Rangers tv didn't show any replays or mention it funnily enough.

Dibben
03-02-2018, 07:58 PM
Watched on a dodgy link on my phone so not the best viewing.however I thought he looked good quick and good movement and obviously brave as well to take the pen.

His goal in the 1st half looked good to me why was it disallowed? Rangers tv didn't show any replays or mention it funnily enough.

Haven’t seen it yet but heard it was for offside.

HoboHarry

Bollocks.

hibs#1

Only thing I could think but i looked good on 1st viewing.

erin go bragh
03-02-2018, 08:01 PM
I thought he was just off . No bad debut tho :)

SirDavidsNapper
03-02-2018, 08:02 PM
Glad he's off the mark. Have high hopes for him.

MSK
03-02-2018, 08:04 PM

His best day in Europe though,has him in the history books as scoring the winner at Ibrox in front of 50,000 but still being 'the substitute who was substituted!",,,can see elements of that that being a trivia question in years to come!Why would it be a trivia question in years to come ? Substituting a substitute is hardly a new tactic in football, hows about giving the lad a bit of support instead of putting him down 👍

Hibby70
03-02-2018, 08:05 PM
He comes from the land down under
The Hibs flow and we all wonder
We can't hear, can't hear the Huns there?
You better run, you better take cover, yeah

Ok needs a bit of work but it's a start....

Joe6-2
03-02-2018, 08:07 PM
Why would it be a trivia question in years to come ? Substituting a substitute is hardly a new tactic in football, hows about giving the lad a bit of support instead of putting him down 👍

Don’t think he’s putting him down

greenlex
03-02-2018, 08:09 PM

Seriously?

wookie70
03-02-2018, 08:10 PM
Thought he put in a great shift but was surprised he took the penalty. I would have thought we would have had a penalty taker chosen before the match and unless it was Barker who had been subbed I would have thought one of teh starters would have taken it. fair play to him though as he was in no doubt who was taking it and done all that was required. Not a bad choice for a first goal, a winner at Ibrox.

hibs#1
03-02-2018, 08:12 PM
Thought he put in a great shift but was surprised he took the penalty. I would have thought we would have had a penalty taker chosen before the match and unless it was Barker who had been subbed I would have thought one of teh starters would have taken it. fair play to him though as he was in no doubt who was taking it and done all that was required. Not a bad choice for a first goal, a winner at Ibrox.

To be fair probably didn't bother picking one out pre match seeing as we were playing at ibrox 😉

HoboHarry
03-02-2018, 08:13 PM
I'll be happy to apologize if I am wrong but I think it was the same poster who claimed he had seen McLaren loads of times playing in the A league and had nothing good to say about him.

Tobias Funke
03-02-2018, 08:17 PM
The second paragraph is a put down, not so sure about the last bit though.

Billy Whizz
03-02-2018, 08:17 PM

Bit unfair, was knackered, and had been moved into midfield after Oli came on. I’m sure he doesn’t care anyway
Jamie put in a helluva shift in the 1st half, and with a lack of game time, it caught up on him. Allowed us to use up a bit of time, in added on time, to allow Danny on

mentalhibee
03-02-2018, 08:31 PM
Was his first goal onside? No replays of it on rangers tv...surprise!

The_Horde
03-02-2018, 08:53 PM
Bit unfair, was knackered, and had been moved into midfield after Oli came on. I’m sure he doesn’t care anyway
Jamie put in a helluva shift in the 1st half, and with a lack of game time, it caught up on him. Allowed us to use up a bit of time, in added on time, to allow Danny on

Thought he looked very sharp today and some of his first half link up with cranberry was a joy. Clever player, intelligent movement.

Lago
03-02-2018, 08:54 PM
Neither did I.

Billy Whizz
03-02-2018, 08:56 PM
Thought he looked very sharp today and some of his first half link up with cranberry was a joy. Clever player, intelligent movement.

Who’s cranberry🤣

danhibees1875
03-02-2018, 09:00 PM
Who’s cranberry🤣

I think he means camembert. 😊

Is It On....
03-02-2018, 09:04 PM
He comes from the land down under
The Hibs flow and we all wonder
We can't hear, can't hear the Huns there?
You better run, you better take cover, yeah

Ok needs a bit of work but it's a start....

Down Under was one of my favourite songs..."he just scored which was about as welcome to Sevco as a **** sandwich"

Sammy7nil
04-02-2018, 12:02 AM
Neither did I.

That is three of us, also think it might be a decent trivia question what sub was subbed but whilst on the pitch he scored the winner at Greyskull? In a few years I can see that asked and in no way devalues his performance or contribution

The_Horde
04-02-2018, 12:04 AM
Who’s cranberry🤣

Kamberi - Cranberry.. just a wee joke..

Sproule Three
04-02-2018, 12:22 AM
I'll be happy to apologize if I am wrong but I think it was the same poster who claimed he had seen McLaren loads of times playing in the A league and had nothing good to say about him.

He’s not putting him down .
Far from it .
Not many guys who come on as sub and make contribution like that are subbed .
Don’t know about ‘ claiming ‘to have seen a lot of him in the A league .
We get every A league game shown live and Fred like me watches lots of football .Seen plenty of him on TV and in the flesh without having to claim to have seen him
Like him I had a few concerns as to whether he could step up .
The A-League is much easier to score in than SPL.
Roy O Donovan is one of the most highly rated strikers her so that will give you an idea of the standard .
MacLaren did really well yesterday after being thrown in at the deep end .
Hopefully he will thrive playing with our midfield supplying him chances

mikewynne
04-02-2018, 12:48 AM
Was his first goal onside? No replays of it on rangers tv...surprise!

From the video on Hibs TV he definitely looked offside, about a yard.

Forza Fred
04-02-2018, 12:49 AM
I get it youve seen the guy more than the rest of us and don’t rate him but there is absolutely no need for this negative pish. I get there is a chance he could make you look silly and I for one hopes he does.

Wasn’t putting anyone down.

Don’t see stating what is a quirky fact as ‘negative pish’ either.

As for the trivia question, a similar one you would take umbrage with then would have been prior to 21/5/16...’.Name the last Hibs player to score the winning goal in the Scottish Cup Final’

The answer of course was Arthur Duncan, who scored an o.g.to give Rangers victory.

No doubt you charge in to the defence of Arthur when someone asks that question too........

My comments were clearly to show the irony that can surround fitba, and the quirky outcomes it can throw up.

As for your other post regarding my previous comments on MacLaren....nowhere did I say I had ‘nothing good to say about him’ as you suggest.

My view then and still is that he is by no means crap, nor converseley, is he a superstar, which I think most would see as a balanced view.

Maybe I should run any future posts past you in future to see if you understand them, prior to me posting.

Forza Fred
04-02-2018, 12:52 AM
Why would it be a trivia question in years to come ? Substituting a substitute is hardly a new tactic in football, hows about giving the lad a bit of support instead of putting him down 👍

Again, don’t see anything that puts him down....see my previous post.

CRAZYHIBBY
04-02-2018, 12:58 AM
Again, don’t see anything that puts him down....see my previous post.

Me neither.....when was he a substituted substitute though??.....just curious thats all

hibbysam
04-02-2018, 01:04 AM
Me neither.....when was he a substituted substitute though??.....just curious thats all

He got taken off for Swanson in the final minute.

Sproule Three
04-02-2018, 01:04 AM

He came on as a sub for Barker and got replaced by Swanston in last couple of minutes .
Was 4am in the morning my time but sure that’s what I saw

CRAZYHIBBY
04-02-2018, 01:22 AM
Cheers

ozwoody
04-02-2018, 01:26 AM
He came on as a sub for Barker and got replaced by Swanston in last couple of minutes .
Was 4am in the morning my time but sure that’s what I saw

You are correct Sproule,came on in 7 min and subbed at 90+ 1. With regards him taking the penalty,he was the main penalty taker for Brisbane and had a high conversation rate , also, I don’t think we had a designated taker ( probably cause opposition teams don’t get many at Ibrox!!) Good shift from Jamie , lots of intelligent running from front two,opening the space up for McGinn and Allan.What a difference a fortnight makes!

SonOfDavidFrancey
04-02-2018, 01:40 AM
Saw the penalty on rangers tv... only just scraped in. Delighted he is off the mark but it made me think about how narrow the margins can be between being the new jimmy o’rourke and being the new James Collins

aussie_hibee
04-02-2018, 02:43 AM
Thought his movement was really intelligent and he’s quick. .

Some great link up play with Kamberi too.

I like what I’ve seen so far

Bam
04-02-2018, 03:20 AM
Here's the link to his interview after the game for those who haven't seen it, he's talking rapid he's that buzzing :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g63e06jfpj4

Forza Fred
04-02-2018, 04:47 AM
Thought his movement was really intelligent and he’s quick. .

Some great link up play with Kamberi too.

I like what I’ve seen so far

FWIW, I think he is more suited to playing alongside Kamberi than he would have been ‘leading the line’ so to speak, or alongside Simon Murray.

I know he is desperate for game time, and I look forward to seeing him in the starting line up.

He was a nippy wee chappie against A League defences, but the standard of defending in the A League was not as high as even the SPL, and he hopefully has sufficient game time to help him adjust to the pace of the game, and the physical side of things.

GreenCastle
04-02-2018, 08:08 AM
Here's the link to his interview after the game for those who haven't seen it, he's talking rapid he's that buzzing :thumbsup:

Great interview- seems switched on compared to some footballers who can hardly put a sentence together.

Fingers crossed that will give him a lift and we will see many more goals.

confused
04-02-2018, 08:18 AM

As for the trivia question, a similar one you would take umbrage with then would have been prior to 21/5/16...’.Name the last Hibs player to score the winning goal in the Scottish Cup Final’

The answer of course was Arthur Duncan, who scored an o.g.to give Rangers victory.

No doubt you charge in to the defence of Arthur when someone asks that question too........

My comments were clearly to show the irony that can surround fitba, and the quirky outcomes it can throw up.

As for your other post regarding my previous comments on MacLaren....nowhere did I say I had ‘nothing good to say about him’ as you suggest.

My view then and still is that he is by no means crap, nor converseley, is he a superstar, which I think most would see as a balanced view.

Maybe I should run any future posts past you in future to see if you understand them, prior to me posting.
I honestly wouldnt worry about it , I agree it will be a quiz question in years to come , just remember that this is Hibs Net the place where every expert voices an opinion. Just a couple of weeks ago Lenny was clueless , Lewis was about as much use as Squirrel , but another day has dawned since then .

Heisenberg
04-02-2018, 08:19 AM
I thought his penalty was class. Some of the Huns begins the goal were getting buzzing that it was saved before it hit the roof of the net. Made it all the sweeter.

greenlex
04-02-2018, 12:14 PM

Bearing in mind you were quck to give us your negative opinion of him when he signed I think it was negative and uncalled for yesterday.

hibsbollah
04-02-2018, 12:18 PM

Why do Australians start every sentence with 'look,...'.? Unnecessarily aggressive. And annoying. Apart from that, I like him.

SRHibs
04-02-2018, 12:21 PM
This is a great photo!

Hibbyradge
04-02-2018, 12:24 PM

There's nothing negative in his post :confused:

Hibbyradge
04-02-2018, 12:28 PM

:confused:

Which player came on as a substitute at Ibrox, scored the winner from a penalty, and was substituted himself later?

That'll be a great quiz question.

Forza Fred
04-02-2018, 12:28 PM

Bearing in mind you were quck to give us your negative opinion of him when he signed I think it was negative and uncalled for yesterday.

Not trying to be rude, but.....

Haven’t got the motivation to enter into a tit for tat with you, so won’t spend energy on this other than to say that I don’t really Care what you think.

Your opinion on anything, is worth as much or as little as mine

You still seem to be missing the point about irony, but hey ho, hope you get over your outrage

SRHibs
04-02-2018, 12:29 PM
:confused:

Which player came on as a substitute at Ibrox, scored the winner from a penalty, and was substituted himself later?

That'll be a great quiz question.

Jamie Maclaren?

Hibbyradge
04-02-2018, 12:33 PM
Jamie Maclaren?

Correct 👍

Have a loyalty point.

greenlex
04-02-2018, 12:44 PM
Not trying to be rude, but.....

Haven’t got the motivation to enter into a tit for tat with you, so won’t spend energy on this other than to say that I don’t really Care what you think.

Your opinion on anything, is worth as much or as little as mine

You still seem to be missing the point about irony, but hey ho, hope you get over your outrage

Me neither so I’ll leave you with a few of your quotes about the guy most before he had even kicked a ball for Hibs. Allied to your remarks yesterday I think I know why it’s construed as negative.

“ Lennie's press conference suggested he did not think MacLaren was ready for the speed of the Scottish game yet....having seen him play in Australia I agree”

“Bain may hang about but MacLaren will definitely be off at the end...and it may well be we are happy to see him go.”

“Maybe he's not performed as good on the training ground than the video suggested he would?”

“After 6 months he'll definitely be going back...but to Germany, not Oz.

Not yet anyway.

MacLaren's an OK striker, he's not crap, but he's not super Dooper either.

He'll make a decent living in football when he eventually returns to Oz, and probably is of our championship level, or the lower reaches of the SPL, but is no undiscovered superstar.”

“Jamie MacLaren came to Hibs specifically to get game time to enhance his (albeit slim ) chances of getting selected for the Socceroos at the upcoming World Cup.

That worked out well.��”

MSK
04-02-2018, 12:47 PM
Jamie Maclaren?Och, you must have googled that 🤭

Forza Fred
04-02-2018, 12:57 PM
Me neither so I’ll leave you with a few of your quotes about the guy most before he had even kicked a ball for Hibs. Allied to your remarks yesterday I think I know why it’s construed as negative.

“ Lennie's press conference suggested he did not think MacLaren was ready for the speed of the Scottish game yet....having seen him play in Australia I agree”

“Bain may hang about but MacLaren will definitely be off at the end...and it may well be we are happy to see him go.”

“Maybe he's not performed as good on the training ground than the video suggested he would?”

“After 6 months he'll definitely be going back...but to Germany, not Oz.

Not yet anyway.

MacLaren's an OK striker, he's not crap, but he's not super Dooper either.

He'll make a decent living in football when he eventually returns to Oz, and probably is of our championship level, or the lower reaches of the SPL, but is no undiscovered superstar.”

“Jamie MacLaren came to Hibs specifically to get game time to enhance his (albeit slim ) chances of getting selected for the Socceroos at the upcoming World Cup.

That worked out well.��”

Yep honest opinions ...as I said I think he is ok, but not a superstar, and in six months time he will leave Hibs.....his loan runs out then.

Honest opinions which I have no problem standing by.

There is always ‘hype’ when a striker joins a new club, and I think I have realistic expectations, which I have articulated.

None of which in any way impacts on my post yesterday.

You really should be used to people on this forum by now having different opinions to you, and heaven forbid, even having the temerity to express them..

Definitely my last response to you...you see I have other things to do in life other than search through previous posts on an internet discussion forum in an attempt to somehow prove an insignificant ....but obviously to your good self, important point😳

As Gough Whitlam said in 1975 (you can look that up too).......Maintain Your Rage!

G B Young
04-02-2018, 06:58 PM
Saw the penalty on rangers tv... only just scraped in. Delighted he is off the mark but it made me think about how narrow the margins can be between being the new jimmy o’rourke and being the new James Collins

I think that's harsh to say it only just scraped in. I thought he did the right thing, especially as he must have been nervous. Hit it as hard as you can down the middle. Yes it came off the keeper but it still smashed into the back of the net. Fine margins as you say but for me a penalty which scrapes in is one where the keeper really should save it but lets it squirm over the line.

Billy Whizz
04-02-2018, 07:02 PM

It hit the back of the net

Unseen work
04-02-2018, 07:05 PM
Thought he and Kamberi linked well considering it for the first time they played together.

Also never realised how quick he is!

G B Young
04-02-2018, 07:10 PM
Yep honest opinions ...as I said I think he is ok, but not a superstar, and in six months time he will leave Hibs.....his loan runs out then.

Honest opinions which I have no problem standing by.

There is always ‘hype’ when a striker joins a new club, and I think I have realistic expectations, which I have articulated.

None of which in any way impacts on my post yesterday.

You really should be used to people on this forum by now having different opinions to you, and heaven forbid, even having the temerity to express them..

Definitely my last response to you...you see I have other things to do in life other than search through previous posts on an internet discussion forum in an attempt to somehow prove an insignificant ....but obviously to your good self, important point😳

As Gough Whitlam said in 1975 (you can look that up too).......Maintain Your Rage!

I'm surprised by the flak you've taken over this from a couple of posters. I have no issue at all with you and fellow members of the Aussie Hibs Supporters giving us your views on players you've seen a lot more of than us. I certainly don't see it as talking anyone down.

The MacLaren deal strikes me very much as you say. One that suits both parties at this time. Lennon himself said yesterday he's a little 'undercooked' but has clearly decided he's worth a punt. Hearts were also keen on him so he must have something about him.

Of course I'd love to see him bang in the goals and end up a major long-term success at Hibs, and who knows, stranger things have happened. However, at present he looks a useful enough player to have at our disposal with bags of energy and enthusiasm. Getting off the mark in such a big game will have done him no harm.

wookie70
04-02-2018, 07:13 PM
Lennon said we didn't have a designated player for penalties which I find very surprising. It's fine when someone is brave and grabs the ball but it isn't so clever if everyone looks at each other.

Watching the highlights MacLaren could have had a hatrick. His timing looks a wee bit out but I am delighted we actually have two front men, three including Oli, that want to play up front. Not had that under Lennon at any point from what I can remember as we often played with a single striker or a pair where one like Stokes and Holt played wide and nearer the half way line than the box. I predict that all of a sudden Lewis and Boyle will become better crossers of the ball as we now seem to have 3 players who attack the near post.

Good start from Jamie and if he keeps putting himself in good positions he will definitely score a few for us.

famousfife
05-02-2018, 10:28 AM
New rules suggest mclarens offside goal should have stood as the last touch came of the hun defender!

Sir David Gray
05-02-2018, 10:37 AM
It hit the back of the net

Correct, it would even have stood at Tynecastle.

Dashing Bob S
05-02-2018, 10:51 AM
I'm surprised by the flak you've taken over this from a couple of posters. I have no issue at all with you and fellow members of the Aussie Hibs Supporters giving us your views on players you've seen a lot more of than us. I certainly don't see it as talking anyone down.

The MacLaren deal strikes me very much as you say. One that suits both parties at this time. Lennon himself said yesterday he's a little 'undercooked' but has clearly decided he's worth a punt. Hearts were also keen on him so he must have something about him.

Of course I'd love to see him bang in the goals and end up a major long-term success at Hibs, and who knows, stranger things have happened. However, at present he looks a useful enough player to have at our disposal with bags of energy and enthusiasm. Getting off the mark in such a big game will have done him no harm.

Nice post but one which would benefit greatly from the deletion of the last sentence in the middle paragraph, which totally undermines the point you are making.

CapitalGreen
05-02-2018, 11:03 AM
New rules suggest mclarens offside goal should have stood as the last touch came of the hun defender!

Incorrect.

"A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball (except from a deliberate save by any opponent) is not considered to have gained an advantage.

A ‘save’ is when a player stops, or attempts to stop, a ball which is going into or very close to the goal with any part of the body except the hands/arms (unless the goalkeeper within the penalty area)."

In the case of MacLaren's offside goal on Saturday, both the Rangers defender and goalkeeper would been considered to have been making a save as they were attempting to stop the ball going into the goal.

Billy Whizz
05-02-2018, 11:51 AM
Correct, it would even have stood at Tynecastle.

Berra would still have appealed it

G B Young
05-02-2018, 12:20 PM
Nice post but one which would benefit greatly from the deletion of the last sentence in the middle paragraph, which totally undermines the point you are making.

You're quite right. What I meant to write was 'Hearts were also keen on him, but his preference for Easter Road proves he must possess some finesse as a footballer.'