PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Porteous

Scooter
03-02-2018, 05:13 PM
Absolutely outstanding. I know the whole team defended amazingly but this lad comes in for what I think is his 1st competitive start and doesn't look out at place at all. Not once did I feel uncomfortable when he was involved in play. He's really given Lennon a tough call when McGregor and Hanlon are fit

kevo1875
03-02-2018, 05:14 PM
Fantastic performance take a bow son

Allant1981
03-02-2018, 05:16 PM
thought he was excellent today, one daft clearance but defending was excellent

xyz23jc
03-02-2018, 05:17 PM
Didn't look out of place I have to say! :agree:

Anti-hoofbaw
03-02-2018, 05:29 PM
The lad was solid as a rock. Might start a song thread about him now.

NAE NOOKIE
03-02-2018, 05:32 PM
I'm not giving him too much credit ...... Its one thing giving a young lad his first start at a venue where we always win, lets see how he copes on a rainy night in Cowdenbeath :greengrin

Well done son :aok:

rotherhamrob
03-02-2018, 05:33 PM
Solid as a rock.
It was also good to see no nonsense defending from efe.

TelaStella
03-02-2018, 05:33 PM
Hope he gets just as much credit as the rest of the team, it's the least he deserves for today. Unbelievable Ryan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blackpoolhibs
03-02-2018, 05:34 PM
He does look a player, 2 mistakes today, the crossfield pass and the foul that probably wasn't a foul for their goal.

Both were decision making mistakes, and with experience will come better decisions.

He looks like he's going to have a big future in the game. :top marks

-Jonesy-
03-02-2018, 05:34 PM
And he's so solid
Solid as a rock
It's ryan porteous
Taking hibees to the top top top top top top top top top

Glory Lurker
03-02-2018, 05:36 PM
And he's so solid
Solid as a rock
It's ryan porteous

Guid :aok:

WoreTheGreen
03-02-2018, 05:37 PM
New nickname sudger (soldier) saving private ryan

Green_one
03-02-2018, 05:37 PM
Solid as a rock.
It was also good to see no nonsense defending from efe.

I have always believed this guy is the real deal. Has all the assets, just needs games. Good to have the cover at present.

Good test playing at Ibrox

H18S NX
03-02-2018, 05:41 PM
Very good game....:aok:

Pretty Boy
03-02-2018, 05:45 PM
Those currently working in the football department genuinely believe if they had got him 2 or 3 years earlier he would be going to the very top.

As it was his development was stunted by those who came before Craig, May, Stubbs, now Lennon et al and they are playing a bit of catch up.

neil7908
03-02-2018, 05:48 PM
We have a player on our hands

Anti-hoofbaw
03-02-2018, 05:49 PM
And he's so solid
Solid as a rock
It's ryan porteous

:thumbsup:

Eaststand
There were several very good performers for us today, but Ryan Porteous was my MoM.

GGTTH

matty_f
He was terrific today. Looks a real talent and you'd never have known how inexperienced he is on that display. Superb.

Earlydelivery
03-02-2018, 05:50 PM
Those currently working in the football department genuinely believe if they had got him 2 or 3 years earlier he would be going to the very top.

As it was his development was stunted by those who came before Craig, May, Stubbs, now Lennon et al and they are playing a bit of catch up.
And he’s one of us

southsider
03-02-2018, 05:53 PM
Is he not our top Scoring cenre back. Big future,

gazzag70
03-02-2018, 05:56 PM
A huge talent.Still a bit raw but he will only get better. Massive future in front of him.

18Craig75
03-02-2018, 05:57 PM
He was outstanding. Goes for every ball like his life depends on it!

There was a great moment in the first half where he wiped Morelos out after cleanly taking the ball. He then rose to his feet and gave a ‘roar’ to the fans in the corners.

This boy is the real deal.

CMurdoch
03-02-2018, 06:01 PM
Just needs games now.
Very good player.

The Modfather
03-02-2018, 06:05 PM
He was excellent and looks the real deal. Think there may need to be some difficult, and unpopular, decisions made with the likes of Ambrose and McGregor, in the near-ish future to find him a fist team place and continue his development.

NORTHERNHIBBY
03-02-2018, 06:08 PM
Been a while since we have had a centre half who is comfortable on the ball and can play football as well just defending. This boy is an international in the making IMO.

Franck Stanton
03-02-2018, 06:19 PM
Been a while since we have had a centre half who is comfortable on the ball and can play football as well just defending. This boy is an international in the making IMO.

Apart from Paul Hanlon you mean.

MyJo
03-02-2018, 06:19 PM
He was excellent and looks the real deal. Think there may need to be some difficult, and unpopular, decisions made with the likes of Ambrose and McGregor, in the near-ish future to find him a fist team place and continue his development.

Ambrose may not be here beyond the summer and McGregor's injuries might limit the time he has left playing football full time. Porteous will be first choice partner for Hanlon by the end of next season IMO

eezyrider
03-02-2018, 06:27 PM
I liked what I saw of him during his 3 starts in the League Cup. I'm glad he took his opportunity today to show what he is capable of.
I'm sure he'll be a big player for us in the future.

EZ

cleanyman
03-02-2018, 06:29 PM
I wouldn't say he was solid. But it was a good display.

His roar after his tackle at the end of the first half was a sight to behold.

A memorable moment

theonlywayisup
03-02-2018, 06:31 PM
We have a player on our hands

Future Scotland International

Nicho87
03-02-2018, 06:32 PM
Defending fantastic.
Distribution needs work.

Overall delighted he's a hibee.

carnoustiehibee
03-02-2018, 06:32 PM

Absolutely, Ryan pique will be the first defender since I can remember to get interest from big clubs. And rightly so

Keyser Sauzee
03-02-2018, 06:35 PM
Can’t believe he’s still only 18! Can only see him becoming a top centre half in this country and moving on to a much bigger stage.

GreenCastle
03-02-2018, 06:52 PM
Every time he’s played he’s been excellent.

Watched him for development team also and he is basically Paul Hanlon part 2.

Could easily play for Scotland in years to come if he stays focused.

Plus he is decent from corners so will add goals from set pieces.

Albanian Hibs
03-02-2018, 06:54 PM
Outstanding

andy1875
03-02-2018, 06:55 PM
There were several very good performers for us today, but Ryan Porteous was my MoM.

GGTTH

Agreed.

This lad looks the part.

Lancs Harp
03-02-2018, 07:01 PM
I would just like to add my praise. He has outstanding potential and is a great prospect who is already delivering. An old head on those young shoulders.

Wheat Hound
03-02-2018, 07:04 PM
He was outstanding. Goes for every ball like his life depends on it!

There was a great moment in the first half where he wiped Morelos out after cleanly taking the ball. He then rose to his feet and gave a ‘roar’ to the fans in the corners.

This boy is the real deal.

That was a great moment. Sheer passion for the Hibs and absolutely solid. He gets it

DavidDavidGray
03-02-2018, 07:19 PM
Outstanding today. Really coped well in such a high pressure game.

Baldy Foghorn
03-02-2018, 07:30 PM
Ryan was outstanding Today, not a surprise.

Big future ahead....

Edinburgh Green
03-02-2018, 07:40 PM
When a young player starts a game there is always a slight concern to see if they can step up. This is magnified when it’s at Ibrox and we are forced to play an unfamiliar team.... but with Ryan I don’t get that feeling. I feel 100% confident in his ability every time he steps on the field.

SChibs
03-02-2018, 07:45 PM
Similar to forster when he came through winning loads of header. Was key to our victory today

hibs#1
03-02-2018, 07:45 PM
Looks a player still only 18. Hope he can keep getting game time this season might push on next year and be a regular.

SteveHFC
03-02-2018, 07:49 PM
Would keep him in the team against Aberdeen.

Posh Hibby
03-02-2018, 07:50 PM
Doesn't look at all out of place. Immense performance for an 18 year old! Will look forward to seeing him progress.

Can someone confirm that we have him on a long term deal?

StevieCowan
03-02-2018, 08:23 PM
Ryan was outstanding Today, not a surprise.

Big future ahead....

Absolutely.

Top, top player and will play in the EPL for many a season once we get several million pounds for him.

You’ll know BF that some top EPL clubs wanted him at 16/17.

007 Mickey Weir
03-02-2018, 08:29 PM
A big Hibs fan as well I hear. So hope he can be here for a long time. Huge career ahead of him!

bingo70
03-02-2018, 08:30 PM
Similar to forster when he came through winning loads of header. Was key to our victory today

I don’t want to sound nasty about Forster as he always have his best and that’s all you can ask however Imo Porteous looks a far better prospect. Forster tried his best but he didn’t have the acceleration, mobility or pace to make the break through. From what I’ve seen Porteous looks to have it all, he maybe just needs to calm down a bit and not dive in too rashly but that’ll come through experience.

I’ve heard through the grapevine that Celtic came calling a year or two back and one of the ways we kept him was a promise to accelerate him into the first team, that may be one of the reasons we agreed to let Fontaine go when we did.

Borderhibbie76
03-02-2018, 08:32 PM
He was terrific today. Looks a real talent and you'd never have known how inexperienced he is on that display. Superb.Funny barely a mention on radio all afternoon of Porteous...now if it had been one of the golden crop at the Gorgie Galacticos...it would have been a different story...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Borderhibbie76
03-02-2018, 08:34 PM
Been a while since we have had a centre half who is comfortable on the ball and can play football as well just defending. This boy is an international in the making IMO.Apart from Paul Hanlon...and fonts wasn't bad on the ball either. But this guy is deffo the real deal I agree with that

wookie70
03-02-2018, 08:35 PM
Outstanding today and looks like he will have no difficulty starting on a regular basis. A couple of mistakes but I like the fact he hasn't changed his game because he has stepped up. Still comfortable on the ball and wants to make passes oh and loves a tackle.

Billy Whizz
03-02-2018, 08:36 PM
As others have said, he’s only 18 but plays like a man, and he’s absolutely fearless
Ryan has a big future in the game, still got a few rough edges, but that will come with experience
Don’t think Rangers £9m player fancied playing against him today, as he chucked it, after Ryan roughed him up in the 1st half
Well done Ryan

ACLeith
03-02-2018, 08:37 PM
He strolled through the recent development Cup tie against Morton. Massive step up from that to today but I had no worries when I saw him in the lineup. Stay focused and be lucky with injuries and the sky's the limit for him.

03-02-2018, 08:40 PM
Absolutely outstanding. I know the whole team defended amazingly but this lad comes in for what I think is his 1st competitive start and doesn't look out at place at all. Not once did I feel uncomfortable when he was involved in play. He's really given Lennon a tough call when McGregor and Hanlon are fit

His first league start, he started against Montrose, Arbroath and Ayr in the League Cup and scored twice against Arbroath.

overdrive
03-02-2018, 08:43 PM
I don’t want to sound nasty about Forster as he always have his best and that’s all you can ask however Imo Porteous looks a far better prospect. Forster tried his best but he didn’t have the acceleration, mobility or pace to make the break through. From what I’ve seen Porteous looks to have it all, he maybe just needs to calm down a bit and not dive in too rashly but that’ll come through experience.

I’ve heard through the grapevine that Celtic came calling a year or two back and one of the ways we kept him was a promise to accelerate him into the first team, that may be one of the reasons we agreed to let Fontaine go when we did.

Nah Forster would have been top class had it not been for injuries.

MagicSwirlingShip
03-02-2018, 08:44 PM
I’ve said it before, Ryan is Darren Mcgregors heir apparent.

We’re blessed with some great talent at centre back at the moment.

bingo70
03-02-2018, 08:49 PM
Nah Forster would have been top class had it not been for injuries.

Not something I wish to labour the point about but I disagree. I don’t doubt over a hundred yards he was as quick as anything however imo he struggled to get going when he was turned and had to go the other way.

You may be right and tbh I don’t really care that much, I just think my early opinion of Porteous is a lot higher than it was of Forster (who I liked but felt was limited)

Billy Whizz
03-02-2018, 08:55 PM
Not something I wish to labour the point about but I disagree. I don’t doubt over a hundred yards he was as quick as anything however imo he struggled to get going big when he was turned and had to go the other way.

You may be right and tbh I don’t really care that much, I just think my early opinion of Porteous is a lot higher than it was of Forster (who I liked but felt was limited)

Spot on Bingo, Jordan was as fearless as Ryan, but is nowhere as good a footballer, and Ryan is a lot quicker too, and more comfortable on the ball
Ryan just needs to learn to stay on his feet a bit more, but he’s only 18

Baker9
03-02-2018, 09:11 PM

There has never been any doubt that Paul is comfortable on the ball and can play football. If Ryan can do the same, and turns out to be a beast of a defender, get him on the team sheet first.

NadeAteMyLunch!
03-02-2018, 09:12 PM
Majestic

MyJo
03-02-2018, 09:19 PM
Apparently a warrant has been put out for young Ryan's immediate arrest.

He was seen this afternoon brazenly carrying around 75kgs of "Colombian" with an estimated street value of £8m in his back pocket.

Ryan "Pablo" Porteous was last seen making his way east on the M8 accompanied by a flame haired associate smiling broadly and cupping his ears.

Elephant Stone
03-02-2018, 09:24 PM
Apparently a warrant has been put out for young Ryan's immediate arrest.

He was seen this afternoon brazenly carrying around 75kgs of "Colombian" with an estimated street value of £8m in his back pocket.

Ryan "Pablo" Porteous was last seen making his way east on the M8 accompanied by a flame haired associate smiling broadly and cupping his ears.

:top marks:flag:

Jones28
03-02-2018, 09:25 PM
The boy will be a superstar. 100%.

Billy Whizz
03-02-2018, 09:27 PM
The boy will be a superstar. 100%.

Easy

Not In The Know
03-02-2018, 10:24 PM

Or with a more positive slant - great we’ve lots of great defenders.

Stuart93
04-02-2018, 12:21 AM
Because yooooooour porteous I'd do anything for you

18Hibee75
04-02-2018, 10:41 AM
Absolutely loved his wee fist pump and mini celebration to the hibs end after he made a block when we were 1-0 up in the first half. Got the crowd really going.

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

Calidad
04-02-2018, 10:51 AM
Think he should be a regular rotation option now. He always comes in cold and does well.

yerauldda
04-02-2018, 10:54 AM
Potentially the best centre back at the club. Could see him playing in the middle of a three next season with Efe and Hanlon either side of him. A class act.

HibeeHibernian4
04-02-2018, 11:41 AM

That was fantastic, thanks for reminding me of that

Big90inOz
04-02-2018, 12:09 PM
He is quick, makes good decisions and can pick a pass, we need to make sure he gets regular games to build his experience.

Diclonius
04-02-2018, 12:10 PM
Hopefully Hanlon and Porteous will be our centre back pairing in a couple of seasons.

Borderhibbie76
04-02-2018, 03:05 PM
Not something I wish to labour the point about but I disagree. I don’t doubt over a hundred yards he was as quick as anything however imo he struggled to get going when he was turned and had to go the other way.

You may be right and tbh I don’t really care that much, I just think my early opinion of Porteous is a lot higher than it was of Forster (who I liked but felt was limited)Have to agree with you on this Bingo...for me Forster much as I liked him was limited and often turned way too easily as well as being extremely unlucky with injuries. Ryan is/will be a different level I think...

Mango Man
04-02-2018, 03:08 PM
Because yooooooour porteous I'd do anything for you

Haha, nice one, that works perfectly.

Hermit Crab
04-02-2018, 03:30 PM
At the game yesterday I really felt that I was watching a future Hibs captain in the making. I rate him that highly!

southsider
04-02-2018, 04:25 PM
Did he recently sign a 5 year contract ? Hope so as the lad is the real deal.

hibsbollah
04-02-2018, 04:27 PM
I said before the game I was super confident in Ryan before the game and delighted with his performance :agree: We really do have an embarrassment of riches at that position.

Unseen work
04-02-2018, 06:07 PM
He made 3 mistakes.

1 - First minute of the game where he seemed to get caught under the flight of the ball and Stevenson covered for him
2- when he tried to chest it down and pick a pass, got robbed and they were through but Ofir made a brilliant save.
3 - cross field pass that was intercepted.

He had a good game and is solid in the air and in the tackle and is an exciting prospect.

I’m not going to get too carried away by saying we will sell him for millions, he will be a Scotland international and Hibs captains like others have.

But it’s an impressive start.

Stuart93
04-02-2018, 06:27 PM
Haha, nice one, that works perfectly.

I'd imagine it'll be the next song we hear from the singing secrion

Billy Whizz
04-02-2018, 08:09 PM
Ryan’s 1st start in the Premiership. From playing in the under 20 youth cup 2 weeks ago, to starting at Ibrox yesterday is a big leap
He’ll learn from his mistakes you can be sure, but his bravery and blocks were outstanding, and Morelos didn’t fancy it against him

Mibbes Aye
04-02-2018, 08:50 PM
Really pleased for him, first league starts don't come much better. I've seen him play in the dev team a few times and generally speaking, he looked very assured.

There's a lot of praise for him on this thread and rightly so, he looks a real talent. I hope that praise also extends to patience - he's young and at the start of his career and as he develops and learns, he also needs to be allowed to make mistakes and learn from them.

Stevenson and Hanlon both got an early start with us and went through numerous phases where some were saying they should be dropped or let go or moved on. We've reaped the benefit of sticking with them.

Ryan Porteous and Oli Shaw also, look like they might be able to do it for us at the level we need - hopefully they both get the support and patience that will help them grow and feature in the first team on a regular and successful basis.

B.H.F.C
04-02-2018, 09:01 PM
Thought he played really well.

Made a few mistakes which really came about because he was trying to play instead of just defend. Just decision making and he'll learn from that.

Pagan Hibernia
04-02-2018, 09:01 PM
Great to see these Hibs daft youngsters performing well. The academy is absolutely crucial to keeping the club on an uphill trajectory