PDA

View Full Version : All matches live

lord bunberry
02-02-2018, 08:18 PM
Has the time come for all matches to be available live on the internet? The reason I ask is that almost every game can be watched already if you know what you’re doing.
Surely it would be better if every club broadcast their game and charged the fans the price of a match ticket to watch it. We could scrap the tv deal and just pool the money received from all the games shown. Fans living abroad can still access games in the same way they do now, and everyone else can pay if they’re not going. The argument against this was that it would have an impact on attendance and atmosphere, but the fact is the games are available now and it’s had zero impact.

greenlex
02-02-2018, 08:25 PM
Spfl tv.

GillyHibee
02-02-2018, 08:27 PM
Has the time come for all matches to be available live on the internet? The reason I ask is that almost every game can be watched already if you know what you’re doing.
Surely it would be better if every club broadcast their game and charged the fans the price of a match ticket to watch it. We could scrap the tv deal and just pool the money received from all the games shown. Fans living abroad can still access games in the same way they do now, and everyone else can pay if they’re not going. The argument against this was that it would have an impact on attendance and atmosphere, but the fact is the games are available now and it’s had zero impact.

could be a good idea, as most people who attend matches also attend for atmospheres on match days, so shouldnt affect attendance greatly. Whether big companies like sky/BT would allow it is a different matter. Also, would it pull in the same revenue that Sky/BT pay the clubs for each match? (Not sure of figures so could be way off the mark)

danhibees1875
02-02-2018, 08:29 PM
Why would someone pay £20+ to watch it if they could do it for free if they "know what they're doing"?

lord bunberry
02-02-2018, 08:29 PM
Spfl tv.
Yes, but in this day and age we don’t need an actual tv channel. I heard that sky are already starting to move away from satellite dishes and planning to move all their content on line. Netflix and amazon are leading the way. Scottish football needs to innovative for once.

lord bunberry
02-02-2018, 08:32 PM
Why would someone pay £20+ to watch it if they could do it for free if they "know what they're doing"?
It isn’t always free if you know what you’re doing. It’s often a very poor quality stream.

lord bunberry
02-02-2018, 08:33 PM
could be a good idea, as most people who attend matches also attend for atmospheres on match days, so shouldnt affect attendance greatly. Whether big companies like sky/BT would allow it is a different matter. Also, would it pull in the same revenue that Sky/BT pay the clubs for each match? (Not sure of figures so could be way off the mark)
Your last point is what I’m unsure about. I do remember hibs saying a few years ago that they made very little money from tv matches.

GillyHibee
02-02-2018, 08:33 PM
It isn’t always free if you know what you’re doing. It’s often a very poor quality stream.

And you might not know what your doing :wink:

GillyHibee
02-02-2018, 08:34 PM
Your last point is what I’m unsure about. I do remember hibs saying a few years ago that they made very little money from tv matches.

Then it may be something that Hibs could benefit from, as we wont miss too much of the small amount we receive.

Do Hibs TV offer a streaming service already?

lord bunberry
02-02-2018, 08:37 PM
And you might not know what your doing :wink:
That’s almost certainly true :greengrin

lord bunberry
02-02-2018, 08:41 PM
Then it may be something that Hibs could benefit from, as we wont miss too much of the small amount we receive.

Do Hibs TV offer a streaming service already?
Yes, but only for overseas viewers. If we were to bring the whole thing in house we could improve the quality of the coverage. Hibs tv coverage is generally pretty good, but I watched the Dundee tv coverage of our game last week and it was like someone filming it with an ancient mobile phone through a dirty window.

Peevemor
02-02-2018, 09:07 PM
I've been à Hibs TV subscriber for years and, being on the whole very happy with the service, don't grudge a penny of what I pay.

With that said there are technical hitches from time to time and it can be a bit of a lottery if the stream's going to decent.

For any given match, there's always a Hibs TV regular somewhere who has a problem. It's happened to me a few times - my Internet connection's been fine, other people have a perfect stream therefore the problem doesn't lie with Hibs TV, but for whatever reason my stream's been crap therefore unwatchable. Can any techie pusses explain why that happens?

Another thing that's been happening recently is the commentary is a few seconds ahead of the images - that really screws up your viewing, when you know a header's gone wide before you've even seen the ball being crossed.

Until stuff like that is sorted out 100%, I won't consider paying anything like the price of a match ticket to watch on the Internet - and even then I'd probably pick and choose my matches.

GillyHibee
02-02-2018, 09:13 PM
Yes, but only for overseas viewers. If we were to bring the whole thing in house we could improve the quality of the coverage. Hibs tv coverage is generally pretty good, but I watched the Dundee tv coverage of our game last week and it was like someone filming it with an ancient mobile phone through a dirty window.

meaning VPNs ECT would be needed to view it in Britain. I can see how there would be many unable to do this.

a stream service would be ideal!

lord bunberry
02-02-2018, 09:15 PM
I've been à Hibs TV subscriber for years and, being on the whole very happy with the service, don't grudge a penny of what I pay.

With that said there are technical hitches from time to time and it can be a bit of a lottery if the stream's going to decent.

For any given match, there's always a Hibs TV regular somewhere who has a problem. It's happened to me a few times - my Internet connection's been fine, other people have a perfect stream therefore the problem doesn't lie with Hibs TV, but for whatever reason my stream's been crap therefore unwatchable. Can any techie pusses explain why that happens?

Another thing that's been happening recently is the commentary is a few seconds ahead of the images - that really screws up your viewing, when you know a header's gone wide before you've even seen the ball being crossed.

Until stuff like that is sorted out 100%, I won't consider paying anything like the price of a match ticket to watch on the Internet - and even then I'd probably pick and choose my matches.
All these problems would hopefully be ironed out with a proper professional service.

lord bunberry
02-02-2018, 09:17 PM
meaning VPNs ECT would be needed to view it in Britain. I can see how there would be many unable to do this.

a stream service would be ideal!
I think it would be ideal. Dragging our heels on this will only lead to lost revenue, and inevitably someone else will lead the way and we’ll be left playing catch up.

Dinkydoo
02-02-2018, 09:19 PM

Because I'd much rather give my cash to Hibs than generate ad revenue for seriously dodgy websites.

neil7908
02-02-2018, 09:22 PM
I don't think you can get away with charging £22 a game to watch Hibs on your laptop.

Ticket prices at football are already too high but the atmosphere and live experience are what you're paying for.

Also, what would you do about pubs?

FWIW I think that's the way it'll go eventually but the pricing structure has to be right. It's a really tricky balance.

Forza Fred
02-02-2018, 09:25 PM
The upside down view....

Here in Oz EVERY A League game is beamed live.

Foxtel is the subscription channel and plunges money into the game to secure the rights, while one free to air channel gets to also show one of the games.

Fitba is not the main sport, but similar deals exist for Rugby League and Aussie Rules where games are screened live....although obviously sometimes some games are on at the same time......

The sports see it as a way of ‘advertising’ the game, and of course are keen to reap the many millions they get from the tv companies.

I can remember not so long ago in pre A League days when the officiating body of Oz fitba actually paid one channel for tv coverage!

My experience is that out here people tendto go to the ground for the ‘atmosphere’ even if it is on the telly, and gates are not hugely diminished by live coverage.....

Mind you it’s a bit of a different mindset...and weather which may be a factor.

Last night for example nearly 20,000 people attended the first match in the WOMEN’S AFL season!

Billy Whizz
02-02-2018, 09:34 PM
The upside down view....

Here in Oz EVERY A League game is beamed live.

Foxtel is the subscription channel and plunges money into the game to secure the rights, while one free to air channel gets to also show one of the games.

Fitba is not the main sport, but similar deals exist for Rugby League and Aussie Rules where games are screened live....although obviously sometimes some games are on at the same time......

The sports see it as a way of ‘advertising’ the game, and of course are keen to reap the many millions they get from the tv companies.

I can remember not so long ago in pre A League days when the officiating body of Oz fitba actually paid one channel for tv coverage!

My experience is that out here people tendto go to the ground for the ‘atmosphere’ even if it is on the telly, and gates are not hugely diminished by live coverage.....

Mind you it’s a bit of a different mindset...and weather which may be a factor.

Last night for example nearly 20,000 people attended the first match in the WOMEN’S AFL season!

How much is the TV deal worth?

Bishop Hibee
02-02-2018, 09:35 PM
I definitely would have paid to watch Hibs games steamed live if it had been possible when I lived in County Durham. Fans living in England, Wales and NI should have the chance to stream games from ER. If I was still down south I'd happily pay £10 a game on a PPV basis. Perhaps a season ticket for online games could be cheaper.

GillyHibee
02-02-2018, 09:35 PM
I don't think you can get away with charging £22 a game to watch Hibs on your laptop.

Ticket prices at football are already too high but the atmosphere and live experience are what you're paying for.

Also, what would you do about pubs?

FWIW I think that's the way it'll go eventually but the pricing structure has to be right. It's a really tricky balance.

Yeah, like a monthly subscription like what they do with UFC/WWE, and charge like £9.99, could raise a bit of revenue?

Sioux
02-02-2018, 09:37 PM
In winter months, especially evening games, there'd be too much of a temptation to sit in and watch the game on tv, thus affecting attendances. That wouldn't really be cost effective for ST holders, but out of towners might see it differently.

It could also discourage season ticket sales.

Surely we want to encourage bums on seats at the grounds instead of bums on couch?

Forza Fred
02-02-2018, 09:50 PM
How much is the TV deal worth?

In Oz the six year deal for fitba in place since last year is about 57 million (dollars) a year.

Clubs are mightily unhappy with it though.

AFL and Rugby League tv deals dwarf the fitba one though.

Asa matter of interest what is the Scottish one worth?

neil7908
02-02-2018, 10:20 PM
Yeah, like a monthly subscription like what they do with UFC/WWE, and charge like £9.99, could raise a bit of revenue?

Yes that's a good shout but I guess the question is will the clubs make enough money?

Like I said the balance has to be so that attendances don't suffer.

lord bunberry
02-02-2018, 10:34 PM
In winter months, especially evening games, there'd be too much of a temptation to sit in and watch the game on tv, thus affecting attendances. That wouldn't really be cost effective for ST holders, but out of towners might see it differently.

It could also discourage season ticket sales.

Surely we want to encourage bums on seats at the grounds instead of bums on couch?

I don’t think that argument holds up anymore. I was at the game on Wednesday, it was really cold and I could’ve just stayed at home and watched it on the internet.

Oscar T Grouch
02-02-2018, 10:54 PM
In Oz the six year deal for fitba in place since last year is about 57 million (dollars) a year.

Clubs are mightily unhappy with it though.

AFL and Rugby League tv deals dwarf the fitba one though.

Asa matter of interest what is the Scottish one worth?

£18.75mil a year

Forza Fred
03-02-2018, 12:40 AM
£18.75mil a year

That’s not a huge amount for what is, the National sport.

Smallish population doesn’t help I guess.

Difficult to squeeze more money out of the tv companies without better quality, and difficult to improve quality without more money!

Catch 22 situation.

I’d change the contract so that tv companies could cover the two ugly sisters every week if they wanted......if It means more money for all.

If Hibs were playing Hamilton and Rangers v Aberdeen was on the telly at the same time, I wouldn’t be tempted to stay at home and watch the telecast......I’d still go to the game.

Think we have to think differently......pretty obvious the way we are doing things isn’t ‘growing’ the game in Scotland.

seanshow
03-02-2018, 01:43 AM
I suppose there is also the difference in quality and that would effect the price each club could charge per match, a static camera at the back of the stand is different to a multi cam 4k broadcast with a production truck parked outside.

If there was going th to be SPFL tv it would have to be done properly.

andyf5
03-02-2018, 05:18 AM
I am just about to stop paying for Hibs TV as the service and attitude is bad.

I know many ways of getting the game for free but wish to pay my part. The OP makes a very good point and it is just a matter of when games are broadcast live in my opinion. Hibs should lead the way in this - we have our super fast broadband at ER. At the moment a lot of effort is made to ensure the game is not broadcast to the UK where this time could be spent improving the quality of service and increasing revenue. I have used a number of clubs live streams and many are better than hibs. Falkirk and Raith for instance provide much better. In my case I had to use my 4g phone abroad and they cut me off as it was said to be a UK IP. When I enquired as to why I could not get on they said I was in the UK. I sent photos of myself abroad but the answer was if I use a UK bought phone I can not watch hibs. For the game in question I was able to get an internet feed in HD with no drop out. 3000 people were watching it and if the club had provided a paid feed that worked thats £30K. An opportunity for the club to increase exposure and revenue.

andyf5
03-02-2018, 05:24 AM
I am just about to stop paying for Hibs TV as the service and attitude is bad.

After my post I went to cancel Hibs TV and it was click one button. If this was another company there would be all kinds of questions around why do you want to cancel, sorry to see you go, please leave a reason. They didnt care. Poor.

Jones28
03-02-2018, 07:12 AM
Is it also not the case that UEFA don't allow live broadcasts of matches at 3 PM on a Saturday? Would it be different if it were a subscription service?

Michael
03-02-2018, 07:27 AM
Is it also not the case that UEFA don't allow live broadcasts of matches at 3 PM on a Saturday? Would it be different if it were a subscription service?

That's just a U.K. rule. Other Uefa countries do it.

Michael
03-02-2018, 07:28 AM
After my post I went to cancel Hibs TV and it was click one button. If this was another company there would be all kinds of questions around why do you want to cancel, sorry to see you go, please leave a reason. They didnt care. Poor.

Why would you want it to be difficult? Sounds good to me.

PeeJay
03-02-2018, 07:39 AM

Hibs TV only broadcast audio of the game in Dundee, the video you saw was probably exactly what you wrote ... not Hibs tv - quality has improved hugely over the years, it's excellent now most times - what we would have given all those years ago for a picture as good as "... someone filming it with an ancient mobile phone" ...:greengrin

andyf5
03-02-2018, 07:41 AM
Why would you want it to be difficult? Sounds good to me.

My point is that they should care if they are losing income and customers and make an effort to keep both.

Jones28
03-02-2018, 08:03 AM
That's just a U.K. rule. Other Uefa countries do it.

Ahh I see, cheers.

NORTHERNHIBBY
03-02-2018, 08:09 AM
No. We will end up with a generation of supporters who don't get the full experience of a going to the football on a Saturday.

StevieCowan
03-02-2018, 08:26 AM
No. We will end up with a generation of supporters who don't get the full experience of a going to the football on a Saturday.

Strangely though attendances are up and there’s already a generation of folk brought up on Sky

NORTHERNHIBBY
03-02-2018, 08:35 AM
Strangely though attendances are up and there’s already a generation of folk brought up on Sky

No doubt but would you have been equally happy to watch our cup final game on the TV rather than being there?

Aim Here
03-02-2018, 08:56 AM
No doubt but would you have been equally happy to watch our cup final game on the TV rather than being there?

Cup finals are an example which doesn't apply here; they've always sold out the ground AND they've always been televised live. The issue is what happens to attendances for ordinary league games if they start being shown live on TV.

CorrieHibs
03-02-2018, 09:03 AM
Will any pubs in Leith have the Huns game streaming live today?