PDA

View Full Version : Sportsound tonight - Questions I'd like answered.

JohnMcM
02-02-2018, 06:25 PM
Sportsound tonight have an interesting discussion that raised questions for me.

LD came up, as expected as a potential candidate to replace Regan. However, other things were said that made me want to ask questions.

In particular, with regards to the balance of power between the SFA and SPFL and how overall the balance of power within both bodies needs to adjusted for the benefit of Scottish Football.

To be honest, and fair, the discussion did not clarify what they meant by "balance of power".

As I thought about it, I found myself asking myself questions.

I tried to answer them for myself without historical bias, rumours or here-say getting in the way. It was hard.

So, the questions I would like to ask the powers that be are; If that imbalance of power exists........

(1) Who holds the power?
(2) Why do they hold the power?
(3) Why have they been allowed to hold power that is to the detriment of Scottish Footbal?

Should you choose to reply, for the benefit of genuine discussion, try to leave your "prejudices" behind.
:agree:

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
02-02-2018, 06:51 PM
Id say..

The clubs, and as always the big clubs hold the power. Caveat that the SFA seems to habe a lot of faceless committees.

Historical legacy - its always been that way, no external regulator or body forcing them to modernise.

Because the onky people who can take it away are themselves. However, i would again caveat that the SPFL is a challenge to their power, and is run by the clubs more directly.

greenlex
02-02-2018, 06:58 PM
SFA. They run the whole game at every level. Supply the refs. Registration of players? National team etc.
Spfl is only the senior clubs in the 4 leagues and little else.
They are both useless. We should have one body running the game.

givescotlandfreedom
02-02-2018, 07:26 PM
Probably paranoid here but last week they were touting NL for Scotland before the Celtc game (I've heard very little since about it) and this week it's LD leaving before we play Sevco.

JohnMcM
02-02-2018, 07:32 PM
Id say..

The clubs, and as always the big clubs hold the power. Caveat that the SFA seems to habe a lot of faceless committees.

Historical legacy - its always been that way, no external regulator or body forcing them to modernise.

Because the onky people who can take it away are themselves. However, i would again caveat that the SPFL is a challenge to their power, and is run by the clubs more directly.

I see where you are coming from. Thanks.

JohnMcM
02-02-2018, 07:34 PM
SFA. They run the whole game at every level. Supply the refs. Registration of players? National team etc.
Spfl is only the senior clubs in the 4 leagues and little else.
They are both useless. We should have one body running the game.

Agree about one body. Can't say about useless, never tried it myself so don't know. Thanks.

JohnMcM
02-02-2018, 07:36 PM
Probably paranoid here but last week they were touting NL for Scotland before the Celtc game (I've heard very little since about it) and this week it's LD leaving before we play Sevco.

I think I understand your paranoia. To be fair though, the points about NL and LD were media driven as far as I can see. Thanks.

Ozyhibby
02-02-2018, 07:40 PM
It’s opaqueness is why it survives. Hard to protest something when you are not quite sure what you are protesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jack Hackett
02-02-2018, 07:41 PM
Agree about one body. Can't say about useless, never tried it myself so don't know. Thanks.

Now and again, someone will post something on .net that goes straight over my head... This one's left me scratching it :aok:

lapsedhibee
02-02-2018, 07:43 PM
the onky people

Yep, quite like that. Sort of cross between wonky and oinky. Hope it sticks.

ancient hibee
02-02-2018, 07:50 PM
It’s opaqueness is why it survives. Hard to protest something when you are not quite sure what you are protesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Or as Marlon Brando said in The Wild One when asked what he was protesting about “What have you got?”

Just Alf
02-02-2018, 07:58 PM
Aye.... Thanks tho

: -)

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

WhileTheChief..
03-02-2018, 07:30 AM
We need two separate bodies running the game.

Part of the problem the SFA has is it it tries to cover too many areas. It takes responsibility for everything from kids and woman’s football through to Juniors and amateur leagues to the Scottish Cup and the National side.

No way should they be responsible for running the professional leagues as well.

The SPFLs only focus is on running our league competitions (and the league cup before someone points it out) and rightly so.

Doesn’t matter who’s in charge or whether there are committees or not. They will always come under fire from fans and fans will constantly want change.

Its been that way as far back as I can remember and we’ve had these clear outs several times before.

Folk talk about faceless committees. They’re not faceless at all. A quick glance at the SFAs website will tell you exactly who is involved.

The problem is with the fans.

Hearts fans think the game is run by Lowell and Petrie. Celtic fans think Doncaster and everyone else is against them. Rangers fans think....well there’s no point going there.

Everyone sees things from their own side. People are already questioning whether LD could be a suitable Chief Exec because she used to be a ST holder at Ibrox.

How would we feel if Budge was appointed CEO? Or Dave King?

Until we rid ourselves of that kinda mentality then nothing will change.

Jack
03-02-2018, 08:16 AM
We need two separate bodies running the game.

Part of the problem the SFA has is it it tries to cover too many areas. It takes responsibility for everything from kids and woman’s football through to Juniors and amateur leagues to the Scottish Cup and the National side.

No way should they be responsible for running the professional leagues as well.

The SPFLs only focus is on running our league competitions (and the league cup before someone points it out) and rightly so.

Doesn’t matter who’s in charge or whether there are committees or not. They will always come under fire from fans and fans will constantly want change.

Its been that way as far back as I can remember and we’ve had these clear outs several times before.

Folk talk about faceless committees. They’re not faceless at all. A quick glance at the SFAs website will tell you exactly who is involved.

The problem is with the fans.

Hearts fans think the game is run by Lowell and Petrie. Celtic fans think Doncaster and everyone else is against them. Rangers fans think....well there’s no point going there.

Everyone sees things from their own side. People are already questioning whether LD could be a suitable Chief Exec because she used to be a ST holder at Ibrox.

How would we feel if Budge was appointed CEO? Or Dave King?

Until we rid ourselves of that kinda mentality then nothing will change.

While I agree with the sentiment of your post it's difficult to come out of the trenches while the decisions of these two bodies are shrouded in secrecy with no attempt to open up. Indeed there's a growing list of cover-ups.

Forgetting their perceived shortcomings and being urged to just move on without any proper explanation will only heighten suspicion among the foot soldiers.