PDA

View Full Version : What are "Featured Groups" in Sky golf coverage?

Hibbyradge
01-02-2018, 05:25 PM
I've never noticed this before. What's it all about?

Golden Bear
01-02-2018, 05:47 PM
I've never noticed this before. What's it all about?

Supposedly the better players who are grouped together at times which are good for tv viewing. They will feature prominently in the tv broadcast.

Hibbyradge
01-02-2018, 05:48 PM
Supposedly the better players who are grouped together at times which are good for tv viewing. They will feature prominently in the tv broadcast.

Ok. Thanks.

McD
01-02-2018, 07:55 PM
The groups that will be featured most in the live coverage. Usually high profile, or high interest players

WeeRussell
02-02-2018, 11:30 AM
I only ever thought of this in connection with the red button.. where you can select one of the 'feature groups' and watch their whole round.

Maybe that's incorrect though and, as above, it's the general term for those that the main coverage are showing most.

lord bunberry
08-02-2018, 06:55 PM
I only ever thought of this in connection with the red button.. where you can select one of the 'feature groups' and watch their whole round.

Maybe that's incorrect though and, as above, it's the general term for those that the main coverage are showing most.
No I think you’re right. In the majors you can press the red button and watch certain groups or holes. In the masters you can just watch amen corner if you want.

Golden Bear
08-02-2018, 07:31 PM
Since Sky created their dedicated Golf Channel, featured groups are now common in their coverage of many tournaments outwith the Majors.

greenlex
09-02-2018, 08:04 PM
Since Sky created their dedicated Golf Channel, featured groups are now common in their coverage of many tournaments outwith the Majors.

Yup. It used to be online coverage for the American audience before the networks took over. Sky started showing it a few years ago on the red button but now it’s on the dedicated golf channel as they fill that.

hibby6270
09-02-2018, 08:37 PM
To be fair, the tournaments, in conjunction with any TV channel that is covering the event, have “doctored” the draws for the first 2 rounds so that the big name players are featured at peak viewing times either in Europe or USA.

Obviously the draw can’t be “fixed” for the final 2 rounds but more often than not the players that are in contention have risen to the top of the leader board. TV channels then plan their coverage to focus on those players. Occasionally, if some big names are further down the field at that point, they’ll maybe devote some coverage to them as well but in the main the leaders get the limelight.

greenlex
10-02-2018, 12:31 PM
Good to see Grant Forrest comfortably in the top 24 and through to the matchplay stages over in OZ. As an aside what a ****ing spectacular meltdown from Lee Westwood.