PDA

View Full Version : Alan Muir

brog
01-02-2018, 11:58 AM
Did his best to cost us the game again tonight, (along with East Stand lino). A minute to go & Kamberi is played through, Alba pics confirm well onside but the Well player who is the last man gesticulates long enough that the Lino puts his flag up. Carson then tries to take the free kick 20 yards in front of where the supposed offside occurred, Muir knocks him back to 10! Free kick taken results in a shot saved by Rocky & a corner which we eventually cleared. With the exception of the other Alan, Freeland, the most incompetent Scottish ref I've ever seen & that's some accolade! How do these people continue in their jobs?

banarc7062
01-02-2018, 12:03 PM
Going back to Tiny Wharton days we did not seem to have the same crap decisions from Ref's and their linesmen. Tiny used to address players with respect...Mr ......., that was a bad tackle. He had the respect of players and did not seek the limelight. GGTTH

Stevie Reid
01-02-2018, 12:05 PM
Did his best to cost us the game again tonight, (along with East Stand lino). A minute to go & Kamberi is played through, Alba pics confirm well onside but the Well player who is the last man gesticulates long enough that the Lino puts his flag up. Carson then tries to take the free kick 20 yards in front of where the supposed offside occurred, Muir knocks him back to 10! Free kick taken results in a shot saved by Rocky & a corner which we eventually cleared. With the exception of the other Alan, Freeland, the most incompetent Scottish ref I've ever seen & that's some accolade! How do these people continue in their jobs?

Some real shockers last night, no doubt.

JeMeSouviens
01-02-2018, 12:06 PM

I think I had actually managed to mentally conflate Muir & Freeland into one super incompetent ref. Both ****** hopeless.

Honourable mention for the definitely-not-only-appointed-due-to-nepotism Andrew Dallas. :rolleyes:

seanoheimhin
01-02-2018, 12:08 PM
Totally agree, had a shocker. It's easy to complain about a referee when you've dropped points, but it speaks volumes that so many think he had a nightmare when we've won the game.

Taking way too long on clear cut decisions, it was as if each free kick he gave us led to a deduction from his wages.

Funny how you often hear 'X is a cheating *******' or 'Y knows what he's doing' about certain refs. Muir just looks like he's totally useless at his job.

stoneyburn hibs
01-02-2018, 12:19 PM
It seemed at times that his decisions were delayed, as in he was looking for influence due to him not having a clue.

KWJ
01-02-2018, 12:21 PM
Gotta get a gif of that McGregor foul and send to SPFL.

BegbieHSC
01-02-2018, 12:21 PM
I almost blame him entirely for us getting put out in the play offs by Falkirk in 2016.

Absolute **** of a man!

Geo_1875
01-02-2018, 12:22 PM
Did he book the Motherwell player who spent about a minute cursing at him and his linesman and the 4th official late in the second half? Didn't notice at the time.

stoneyburn hibs
01-02-2018, 12:23 PM
Did he book the Motherwell player who spent about a minute cursing at him and his linesman and the 4th official late in the second half? Didn't notice at the time.

No, mental decision.

HoboHarry
01-02-2018, 12:23 PM
Going back to Tiny Wharton days we did not seem to have the same crap decisions from Ref's and their linesmen. Tiny used to address players with respect...Mr ......., that was a bad tackle. He had the respect of players and did not seek the limelight. GGTTH
The level of respect was different then yes, but the tv cameras would have destroyed Tiny Wharton and his lack of mobility when he was on the field. He didn't have cameras on every angle pointing out his every error.

we are hibs
01-02-2018, 12:25 PM
Wasn't he the guy who missed the blatant handball by the Falkirk player in the play offs? The linesman east stand side was clueless. Was a foul right Infront of him and the ref gave it from about 20 yards away and he didn't even flag

GreenOnions
01-02-2018, 12:29 PM

That was Cadden - after he'd been all over Dylan McGeouch I think it was.

JeMeSouviens
01-02-2018, 12:30 PM
That was Cadden - after he'd been all over Dylan McGeouch I think it was.

It was McGinn doing his deflector shields thing.

hibbyfraelibby
01-02-2018, 12:36 PM
Did his best to cost us the game again tonight, (along with East Stand lino). A minute to go & Kamberi is played through, Alba pics confirm well onside but the Well player who is the last man gesticulates long enough that the Lino puts his flag up. Carson then tries to take the free kick 20 yards in front of where the supposed offside occurred, Muir knocks him back to 10!

Think some people need to bone up on the new offside ruling and how it works and where the free kicks can be taken from. Dont blame the Refs for FIFA's mess they only apply the rules.

As for that incident Mamberi was offside.

As was seen earlier this season with Simon Murray the revised rule can even see the free kick awarded in your own half

JimBHibees
01-02-2018, 01:09 PM
I almost blame him entirely for us getting put out in the play offs by Falkirk in 2016.

Absolute **** of a man!

Agree simply a corrupt decision no other explanation. Appalling last night and surprisingly no more players injured given his total lack of control. He hss an isdue with us for some reason.

JimBHibees
01-02-2018, 01:12 PM

Incredible sbow of sustained dissent. Players have been sent off for less.

Not In The Know
01-02-2018, 01:24 PM

He then played an extra minute injury time.

Incompetent or a cheat? Probably both.

hibbysam
01-02-2018, 01:25 PM
Think some people need to bone up on the new offside ruling and how it works and where the free kicks can be taken from. Dont blame the Refs for FIFA's mess they only apply the rules.

As was seen earlier this season with Simon Murray the revised rule can even see the free kick awarded in your own half

The offside is when the player becomes active, in this case it was when he latched onto the ball, therefore the free kick is taken from there nd not the defensive line now. Therefore the free kick should’ve been taken even deeper than he did take it.

hibbie02
01-02-2018, 01:28 PM

I blame the Referees' Sponsor! They have got worse since Specsavers took over.....

HoboHarry
01-02-2018, 01:30 PM
For those of you that are young enough - go take the exam and get yourself a career as a referee - the solution is (in part) in your hands......

hibbysam
01-02-2018, 01:32 PM

As you can see, Flo is onside as per the centre half. He then gets flagged offside when he’s 10 yards from the byline - thus where the kick should be taken from, which is then taken from 20 yards up the pitch.

JimBHibees
01-02-2018, 01:33 PM
He then played an extra minute injury time.

Incompetent or a cheat? Probably both.

Definitely seemed longer than the 3 mins at the game last night

JeMeSouviens
01-02-2018, 01:39 PM
Definitely seemed longer than the 3 mins at the game last night

Just checked on Alba. The 3 mins is up as Well get a corner, he gives them another 20 secs to check they're not going to equalise from it. But nothing like an extra minute.

lyonhibs
01-02-2018, 01:40 PM
Free kicks for offside are taken from where the player was when he was actually offside, not where he'd ran to by the time play was actually stopped surely?

easty
01-02-2018, 01:43 PM
As you can see, Flo is onside as per the centre half. He then gets flagged offside when he’s 10 yards from the byline - thus where the kick should be taken from, which is then taken from 20 yards up the pitch.

No I don't think that's correct, the freekick is awarded from where the player was offside, not where he was when the flag goes up. The freekick looks like it's actually taken deeper than it should have been.

easty
01-02-2018, 01:48 PM

I'm no a ref...but I'm 100% sure you cannae get a free kick for offside given against you in your own half.:confused:

maturehibby
01-02-2018, 02:12 PM
It was foul and abusive language from Cadden not dissent and therefor was a definite ordering off
Don't know why he or the fourth official did not send off the Motherwell player
Lemon standing near the incident and had he addressed the officials with those words would have been ordered off and reported to SFA .
Last time I saw such flagrant foul and abusive language was again a Motherwell player James McFadden on Referee Dougie McDonald years ago and again that went unpunished
.saddens filthy and disgusting talk was of said on the street would amount to a breech of he peace .
Alba caught the whole thing on camera and there is plenty of evidence and while they blocked out the language I am sure it will be in the full video if the SFA decided to charge Cadden in spite of Mr Muir not doing so in a effort to protect the other Referees who should not put up with that .
Or any other human being .

Geo_1875
01-02-2018, 02:19 PM
I'm no a ref...but I'm 100% sure you cannae get a free kick for offside given against you in your own half.:confused:

You can't be offside in your own half but you can become offside when you return to your own half from your opponents half and become active in your own half while you were inactive while in your opponents half so the free kick is taken from your own half even though you weren't offiside in your own half.

No wonder women have trouble with the offside rule.

scotiaf
01-02-2018, 02:22 PM
Was he not the guy against Falkirk along time ago, mowbray era ? Lost the game completely

Stuart93
01-02-2018, 02:23 PM
You can't be offside in your own half but you can become offside when you return to your own half from your opponents half and become active in your own half while you were inactive while in your opponents half so the free kick is taken from your own half even though you weren't offiside in your own half.

I thought the free kick gets taken from where the player was offside? You best hope there's not a lot of female fans reading this 👀

ACLeith
01-02-2018, 02:24 PM
Was he not the guy against Falkirk along time ago, mowbray era ? Lost the game completely

That was Alan Freeland. Must be something to do with their first name

HoboHarry
01-02-2018, 02:27 PM

I would suggest that 98% of the men on .net don't understand it either. Despite all of the errrrr "knowledgeable" posts they put up........

Geo_1875
01-02-2018, 02:31 PM
I thought the free kick gets taken from where the player was offside? You best hope there's not a lot of female fans reading this 👀

Correct. You can't be offside if you stay in your own half. If you are in an offside position in your opponents half but are not actively attempting to become involved in play you won't be flagged offside. However, if you are in an offside position in your opponents half and trot back into your own half without getting back into an onside position you cannot play or approach the ball without being flagged for offside, even if you are in your own half. However, they don't explain why you become offside in your own half rather than at the point you first attempt to get back and involved in play.

Aim Here
01-02-2018, 02:33 PM

Sure, it's not in the Laws of the Game, but what the rulebook says, and what an SFA-trained referee is able and willing to do on the field are two different things...

skyhibs
01-02-2018, 02:40 PM

I was at that game and I honestly thought there was going to be a riot due to the ref

BH Hibs
01-02-2018, 02:58 PM
Usually I’m in the they’re incompetent rather than cheats camp but I’m not so sure last night. It looked like it was genuinely hurting him to give Hibs any sort of decision. It was topped off when he was threatening to book Dylan for complaining about three studs up high challenges in the space of five minutes. Both Linos especially the guy on the east were pish as well.

brog
01-02-2018, 03:00 PM

You need to look at it again if you think Kamberi was offside there. Re the new rule, I understand it though I agree re FIFA mess. The one thing you can't do however is take the free kick in a more advanced position than the offside player has ever been during the play. Motherwell did that last night.

brog
01-02-2018, 03:03 PM
Correct. You can't be offside if you stay in your own half. If you are in an offside position in your opponents half but are not actively attempting to become involved in play you won't be flagged offside. However, if you are in an offside position in your opponents half and trot back into your own half without getting back into an onside position you cannot play or approach the ball without being flagged for offside, even if you are in your own half. However, they don't explain why you become offside in your own half rather than at the point you first attempt to get back and involved in play.

You don't become offside in your own half. You are offside in the opponent's half but the free kick may be taken in your own half if that is the area in which you became involved. An unnecessary & over complicated change IMO.

hibbysam
01-02-2018, 04:13 PM
No I don't think that's correct, the freekick is awarded from where the player was offside, not where he was when the flag goes up. The freekick looks like it's actually taken deeper than it should have been.

He only becomes offside when he approaches the ball, and the flag goes up. So where he collects the ball will 90% of the time be where they take the free kick from. I’ve always maintained it should be where the defensive line was. Why should a team be penalised 20 yards because of a lazy bassa who can’t be bothered getting onside.

hibbyfraelibby
01-02-2018, 04:28 PM
Free kicks for offside are taken from where the player was when he was actually offside, not where he'd ran to by the time play was actually stopped surely?

Wrong under the new FIFA directive. For exampke if you are offside in the opposition half but run back in to your own half to collect the bsll the free kick can be taken from where the ball was first touched by the off side player hence what happened to Simon Murray earlier in the season.

Fifa have made a dogs breakfast of the off side rule and it is little wonder the more cranially challenged are having issues getting to terms with it.

hibbyfraelibby
01-02-2018, 04:30 PM

Oh yes you can and it happened earlier this season at ER.

Iggy Pope
01-02-2018, 04:30 PM
Wrong under the new FIFA directive. For exampke if you are offside in the opposition half but run back in to your own half to collect the bsll the free kick can be taken from where the ball was first touched by the off side player hence what happened to Simon Murray earlier in the season.

Fifa have made a dogs breakfast of the off side rule and it is little wonder the more cranially challenged are having issues getting to terms with it.

Whoof. Take that dullard!

snooky
01-02-2018, 04:43 PM

The moment you step into your own half any offside offence should be nullified IMO.
That new law is an ass.

The Green Goblin
01-02-2018, 04:50 PM
I was at that game and I honestly thought there was going to be a riot due to the ref

Me too. So did the polis, who spoke to Freeland and both dressing rooms at half time.

The best one was when he booked a player twice but didn't send him off. Someone at the front of the West Stand lower tier told Mark Venus, who told the 4th official, who told Freeland, who then told him to leave the field.

--------
01-02-2018, 05:48 PM

You don't think with your cranium.

You think with what's inside it.

(signed) Smart-Ass. :wink:

kaimendhibs
01-02-2018, 06:08 PM
Muir is a disgrace. Tried his best to let Motherwell equalise and Cadden should have been sent off for his tirade at the end. Mibbe with Reagan gone we can overhaul the whole corrupt nature of our game including punishing cheating and incompetent referees

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

BSEJVT
01-02-2018, 06:09 PM
Me too. So did the polis, who spoke to Freeland and both dressing rooms at half time.

The best one was when he booked a player twice but didn't send him off. Someone at the front of the West Stand lower tier told Mark Venus, who told the 4th official, who told Freeland, who then told him to leave the field.

That was me!

My finest contribution!

Although I still think multiple offences of roaring at incompetent referees and abusing Hearts players should be taken into consideration :-)

1van Sprou7e
01-02-2018, 06:09 PM
What about the absolute state of the East stand linesman's bald spot

emerald green
01-02-2018, 06:31 PM
When does "incompetence" cease to become an excuse, and there's more to it than that with certain referees like Muir?

The Harp Awakes
01-02-2018, 06:51 PM
When does "incompetence" cease to become an excuse, and there's more to it than that with certain referees like Muir?

There is no doubt in my mind Alan Muir was trying to influence the outcome of last night's game in Motherwell's favour in the last 20 minutes.

Apart from all the questionable decisions, Motherwell got a corner right on the 3 minutes injury time up. It was cleared out the box by a Hibs defender which is the point at which he should have blown for time up. Instead he allowed the Motherwell player to continue with play and put the ball in the Hibs box at 3:20 mins. Thankfully nothing came of it as Hibs cleared the ball again and he was forced to blow for full time.

There were no subs or stoppages during the 3 mins injury time.

O'Rourke3
01-02-2018, 10:49 PM
There is no doubt in my mind Alan Muir was trying to influence the outcome of last night's game in Motherwell's favour in the last 20 minutes.

Apart from all the questionable decisions, Motherwell got a corner right on the 3 minutes injury time up. It was cleared out the box by a Hibs defender which is the point at which he should have blown for time up. Instead he allowed the Motherwell player to continue with play and put the ball in the Hibs box at 3:20 mins. Thankfully nothing came of it as Hibs cleared the ball again and he was forced to blow for full time.

There were no subs or stoppages during the 3 mins injury time.

I thought he must have had a bet on.Every type of foul we complained about he gave to Motherwell.

monktonharp
01-02-2018, 11:11 PM

No wonder women have trouble with the offside rule.that's cleared it all up for everyone then.thanks.

monktonharp
01-02-2018, 11:18 PM
I would suggest that 98% of the men on .net don't understand it either. Despite all of the errrrr "knowledgeable" posts they put up........you might have a point, but, are you saying we are all dafties? I certainly have problems of seeing a player judged to be offside when he bloody well is not. and I certainly cant understand how a player in his own half can be judged to be offside. where does that come from? :confused:

monktonharp
01-02-2018, 11:24 PM
You don't become offside in your own half. You are offside in the opponent's half but the free kick may be taken in your own half if that is the area in which you became involved. An unnecessary & over complicated change IMO.I, and others I think , are possibly referring to an offside against us a few weeks ago. this was when our man was judged to be offside, while in our own half. don't tell me the rule has changed that much????:confused:

CMurdoch
01-02-2018, 11:27 PM
I don't like Muir but having watched the game back on Alba don't see what folks are getting Leeds United about.
No bias, no major decisions wrong, the two naughty fouls on Boyle resulted in bookings and Main was booked for persistant fouling.
The only additional one that he could have booked would have been Cadden for dissent after his little struggle with McGinn. Having said that you would get pretty peed off if you were playing against McGinn and every time you went near him he stuck his arse out then lay down. McGinn gets some rough treatment but he also gets a lot of cheap free kicks.

monktonharp
01-02-2018, 11:30 PM

Fifa have made a dogs breakfast of the off side rule and it is little wonder the more cranially challenged are having issues getting to terms with it.I take exception to your last paragraph and I think you should apologise. you may follow whatever Fifa rule changes happen on a daily basis. I dont

CMurdoch
01-02-2018, 11:35 PM
Muir is a disgrace. Tried his best to let Motherwell equalise and Cadden should have been sent off for his tirade at the end. Mibbe with Reagan gone we can overhaul the whole corrupt nature of our game including punishing cheating and incompetent referees

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

You cannae blame Reagan.
He died in 2004.

O'Rourke3
01-02-2018, 11:43 PM
I don't like Muir but having watched the game back on Alba don't see what folks are getting Leeds United about.
No bias, no major decisions wrong, the two naughty fouls on Boyle resulted in bookings and Main was booked for persistant fouling.
The only additional one that he could have booked would have been Cadden for dissent after his little struggle with McGinn. Having said that you would get pretty peed off if you were playing against McGinn and every time you went near him he stuck his arse out then lay down. McGinn gets some rough treatment but he also gets a lot of cheap free kicks.

Climbing, shirt pulling, hacking at player in possession and the player hacked pulled up when they eventually lost the ball. The worst referee had to give the two yellow card tackles on Boyle and did in fact. A couple of studs up and high feet but hey hey did fine... We also got a free kick in the first half where there was nothing wrong.

AZhibee
02-02-2018, 04:10 AM

Still upset about the Falkirk handball. If I ever catch him in Arizona...

HoboHarry
02-02-2018, 04:33 AM

Well when you're finished battering him, drive him down to Texas and we can drink beer after we batter him again 😁

AZhibee
02-02-2018, 04:46 AM
Well when you're finished battering him, drive him down to Texas and we can drink beer after we batter him again 😁

Meet you in El Paso, we'll take him to Juarez :wink:.

brog
02-02-2018, 07:54 AM
that's cleared it all up for everyone then.thanks.

I, and others I think , are possibly referring to an offside against us a few weeks ago. this was when our man was judged to be offside, while in our own half. don't tell me the rule has changed that much????:confused:

I assume you're referring to the Murray incident. As per my earlier post Murray was in the opp half when he was offside. However he only became active when he chased the ball which was now in our half. That application of the law hasn't changed for some years. The change is that the free kick can now be taken in our half. To repeat, if you remain in your own half you still can't be given offside. Hope that helps, its a confusing & unnecessary change.

Geo_1875
02-02-2018, 08:34 AM

Muir's worst fault was not penalising players for challenging with raised studs and catching opponents when clearing the ball. Happened at least 3 times against Motherwell. He could also have booked the Motherwell player who pulled Hanlon down by the neck while shepherding the ball out.

One Day Soon
02-02-2018, 08:37 AM
Muir's worst fault was not penalising players for challenging with raised studs and catching opponents when clearing the ball. Happened at least 3 times against Motherwell. He could also have booked the Motherwell player who pulled Hanlon down by the neck while shepherding the ball out.

Disagree. Muir's worst fault is being a referee at all.

CMurdoch
02-02-2018, 09:56 AM

:greengrin:greengrin

CMurdoch
02-02-2018, 09:59 AM

Campbell was penalised for catching a Hibs player clearing the ball.
I don't recall the Hanlon incident. When was it during the game approx?
Supporters and teams never get all the decisions they would want.
The referee losing or denying us a goal is always my real worry rather than the other stuff.

Geo_1875
02-02-2018, 10:13 AM
Campbell was penalised for catching a Hibs player clearing the ball.
I don't recall the Hanlon incident. When was it during the game approx?

First half before the goal I think.

houstonhibbee
02-02-2018, 10:27 AM
Meet you in El Paso, we'll take him to Juarez :wink:.
Quite splendid scenery. I drove across country on I10 from Houston to San Francisco in June - didn't see any Scottish referees mind

Tynie01011973
02-02-2018, 10:35 AM
First half before the goal I think.

Ball was played down left and Hanlon was trying to let it run behind for a goal kick at the corner flag when Curtis Main tried to stop it running out. Hauled Hanlon down round his neck and free kick was given

brog
02-02-2018, 10:36 AM

That was Curtis Main, who was finally booked late on. The crazy thing about the Hanlon foul is that the assistant, 2 yards away, didn't give it! Muir actually made the decision. Paul was not happy with the assistant!

CMurdoch
02-02-2018, 11:01 AM
Ball was played down left and Hanlon was trying to let it run behind for a goal kick at the corner flag when Curtis Main tried to stop it running out. Hauled Hanlon down round his neck and free kick was given

Ta, I remember that now.
The usual defender shielding the ball to let it run out for a bye kick and the frustrated forward desperately trying to get to the ball.
Happens all the time, the Hearts player Jose Concalves used to be brilliant at the shielding thing. It used to frustrate the crap out of me.

hibbysam
02-02-2018, 12:30 PM
Ta, I remember that now.
The usual defender shielding the ball to let it run out for a bye kick and the frustrated forward desperately trying to get to the ball.
Happens all the time, the Hearts player Jose Concalves used to be brilliant at the shielding thing. It used to frustrate the crap out of me.

Used to be able to shield the ball from about 25 yards out.