PDA

View Full Version : January Transfer Window - Faith Restored?

GST1875
01-02-2018, 11:56 AM
Just wondering how people feel after the January Window has ended? Personally, I was starting to be really concerned by our lack of creativity/goal threat, and without wanting to reopen a can of worms, was concerned about the amount of money we seemed to have invested poorly in the summer on the likes of Stokes.

However, the actions taken in the last few days have really restored my faith in the current management team. A complete overhaul of our striking options is risky, but I don´t feel we´re losing much except the nuisance value Murray brought. I hope that a loan spell with Dundee will bring him back a stronger player. The replacements, time will tell, but judging by last night at least one looks to have potential in this league. And it should mean more game time for Shaw who has bags of talent and needs game time at this level. Overall, we´ve been bold and really shaken things up when a lot of clubs would have kept things very safe.

Likewise, while the Bain swap situation looks a little silly, we´ve been pragmatic and now have a decent backup goalkeeper, and a player who will help to solve the lack of creativity our midfield has shown this season.

The only downside for me is losing Fonts. Losing someone who has been with us ever since the club started to turn things around is sad, but I´m sure it´s sensible from a financial point of view.

Overall, feeling very positive and think we might have the tools to kick start the season again, whereas before I felt we were reallly fizzling out.

scuttle
01-02-2018, 12:21 PM
Just wondering how people feel after the January Window has ended? Personally, I was starting to be really concerned by our lack of creativity/goal threat, and without wanting to reopen a can of worms, was concerned about the amount of money we seemed to have invested poorly in the summer on the likes of Stokes.

However, the actions taken in the last few days have really restored my faith in the current management team. A complete overhaul of our striking options is risky, but I don´t feel we´re losing much except the nuisance value Murray brought. I hope that a loan spell with Dundee will bring him back a stronger player. The replacements, time will tell, but judging by last night at least one looks to have potential in this league. And it should mean more game time for Shaw who has bags of talent and needs game time at this level. Overall, we´ve been bold and really shaken things up when a lot of clubs would have kept things very safe.

Likewise, while the Bain swap situation looks a little silly, we´ve been pragmatic and now have a decent backup goalkeeper, and a player who will help to solve the lack of creativity our midfield has shown this season.

The only downside for me is losing Fonts. Losing someone who has been with us ever since the club started to turn things around is sad, but I´m sure it´s sensible from a financial point of view.

Overall, feeling very positive and think we might have the tools to kick start the season again, whereas before I felt we were reallly fizzling out.

Still think we are a striker short, and hopefully Scott Allan returns to his best

Onion
01-02-2018, 12:23 PM
Was hoping and expecting SJM to be sold on for £4m and us using some of the proceeds to strengthen the strike force, bring in a rb, and creative midfielder who can score goals. Losing Stokes and Murray is disappointing as, when properly guided and motivated, they are both excellent players and can score goals.

Nakedmanoncrack
01-02-2018, 01:06 PM
Time will tell, the big turn around of players who only arrived in the summer is admission of the failure of the signing strategy, it's a bold move, hopefully it pays off.

Spike Mandela
01-02-2018, 01:19 PM
It has all seemed a bit disorganised and unplanned. Not really sure what to think of the January window and the much (self) lauded scouting network and academy as per recent video released.

flash
01-02-2018, 01:23 PM
Was hoping and expecting SJM to be sold on for £4m and us using some of the proceeds to strengthen the strike force, bring in a rb, and creative midfielder who can score goals. Losing Stokes and Murray is disappointing as, when properly guided and motivated, they are both excellent players and can score goals.

So you wanted to keep Murray and lose McGinn?
Think we should stick with Lennon for now.

MacGruber
01-02-2018, 01:28 PM
I think we are a striker short. Proven experienced old head to help the youngsters out. We are also a bit light up top. Kamberi looks to have a presence but could do with more physicality for when games are a battle.

The defence looks stretched. With Fonts away was hoping not to pick up any injuries and Daz looks to have done his hammy already. With Gray and Whittaker out we look a little thin. Ambrose will have to come into the middle

Kamberi looked really good last night but I thought Rherras looked shaky and plays very high up.

Delighted with Allan

Murray is a blow for me. we've shipped out a lot of goals in Murray and Stokes and we've not bought any in if that makes sense.

McLaren and Kamberi are gambles for goals. here's hoping it pays off. It did last night at least

Captain Trips
01-02-2018, 01:37 PM
I think in general the January window should be to top up things and compliment your squad. NL to his credit has realised that perhaps the forwardline that started the season for him has not done as well as he hoped and in the short term has decided to almost totally change it. Yes it means come summer we will have a lot of loans ending but I wish to worry about that then.

We have brought in a change of players upfront and in midfield purely to see if we can start converting and creating more goals and I am up for that. We just dont have a killer instinct, do these players? who knows but it was worth the change. We are just about in touch with Sevco and Aberdeen so lets target them and not dropping to 5th on the flip side.

The summer will give us good ground to build again with a more probable sale of SJM and hopefully securing contracts for players already here. Im not a fan of lots of loans in first team but we were just lacking a bit and it needed a refresh. OK we can say NL didnt get it quite right in summer but at least he is trying to sort it out now.

Ozyhibby
01-02-2018, 01:38 PM
At the start of the window I thought we needed a right back, a creative midfielder and a striker. Since we have done all three I think it’s been a success although we obviously have to wait and see how they turn out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hibbyfraelibby
01-02-2018, 01:43 PM

You dont spend good money in the January window. Its like the old January sales where sll the dross nobody ewants to buy is heavily disuount to shift it out the door. Never any real bargains and usuall just a waste of money.

jdships
01-02-2018, 01:46 PM
So you wanted to keep Murray and lose McGinn?
Think we should stick with Lennon for now.

10/10:aok:

01-02-2018, 01:55 PM
If you'd told me a few months ago that we'd get rid of our two top goalscorers I would have said what an utter disaster.

Time will soon tell. It's a pretty big gamble to replace our two main strikers with guys we know little about and as for Allan there are obviously questions whether he is the same player as the last time. However, Kamberi got off to a very positive start yesterday.

MB62
01-02-2018, 02:51 PM
Stokes out was forced on NL, he had no choice but to get rid of a disruptive player who let him down badly. Murray was more of a surprise but we'll see how that works.

SlickShoes
01-02-2018, 03:05 PM
It all seems a bit weird, we are maybe slightly better off than before if Maclean is a decent striker... I wouldn't say we have massive strengthened but we certainly arent any weaker so can't really complain.

Keith_M
01-02-2018, 03:12 PM
I applaud the decisiveness of Lennon during the transfer window but I'd rather wait to see how it goes before making any judgments on his new signings.

#mindthegap

drkhibs
01-02-2018, 03:20 PM

Left back is still a problem for me, I like Lewis Stevenson but with no competition to keep him on his toes, he turns in non threatening average performances, with last night's game being a case in point..

SonOfDavidFrancey
01-02-2018, 03:24 PM
I feel that the team was flatlining a bit and applaud the fact that NL has approached it bravely. Of course time will tell.

Ryan69
01-02-2018, 03:38 PM
You dont spend good money in the January window. Its like the old January sales where sll the dross nobody ewants to buy is heavily disuount to shift it out the door. Never any real bargains and usuall just a waste of money.

Like Sanchez,Aubamayang,Laporte.....all dross nobody wants.

Boyle89
01-02-2018, 03:54 PM
Like Sanchez,Aubamayang,Laporte.....all dross nobody wants.

Each one bought for 10s of millions. I understand what youre saying but those are poor examples.

Iggy Pope
01-02-2018, 03:57 PM
Left back is still a problem for me, I like Lewis Stevenson but with no competition to keep him on his toes, he turns in non threatening average performances, with last night's game being a case in point..

This, is bollox.

Mikey
01-02-2018, 03:57 PM
I feel that the team was flatlining a bit and applaud the fact that NL has approached it bravely. Of course time will tell.

That's how I see it too. Swanson, another who hasn't done enough yet, would have been away too if it wasn't that he wanted to stay.

GST1875
01-02-2018, 04:58 PM
I applaud the decisiveness of Lennon during the transfer window but I'd rather wait to see how it goes before making any judgments on his new signings.

#mindthegap
This was my feeling. It might not work out but I'm very glad we've been decisive

The Leith Dutch
01-02-2018, 05:08 PM

For the McGinn part January isn't the best time to get good value on a player sale although that's offset by his contract running worryingly low. I'm hoping if we can convince him to extend with a clear agreement to let him go for the right offer even if that's this summer then I'd be happy.

As for getting rid of both Stokes and Murray - "can score goals"? absolutely. "were scoring goals"? not so much.

Don't get me wrong, I like them both as players but Murray wasn't getting time on the pitch in a team struggling to score goals of late and with Stokes we were contending with whether he was in the mood, whether he'd pissed off Lennon or his team mates, whether he was on disciplanry or in fact where he played - I often felt we had a good player and no idea where to put him.

With Allan he probably isn't going to get many goals himself I reckon his nous for a pass will render Boyle and Barker into much more serious threats. If one (or ideally both) of Kamberi and MacLaren work out in addition to that we'll be much better off.

It also feels more balanced: a single striker, two wingers and a playmaker.

Gmack7
01-02-2018, 05:11 PM
This, is bollox.

no it's not IMO.we should have competition for Stevenson and last night he wasn't very good.the posters point seemed pretty accurate

Borderhibbie76
01-02-2018, 05:12 PM
I think we are a striker short. Proven experienced old head to help the youngsters out. We are also a bit light up top. Kamberi looks to have a presence but could do with more physicality for when games are a battle.

The defence looks stretched. With Fonts away was hoping not to pick up any injuries and Daz looks to have done his hammy already. With Gray and Whittaker out we look a little thin. Ambrose will have to come into the middle

Kamberi looked really good last night but I thought Rherras looked shaky and plays very high up.

Delighted with Allan

Murray is a blow for me. we've shipped out a lot of goals in Murray and Stokes and we've not bought any in if that makes sense.

McLaren and Kamberi are gambles for goals. here's hoping it pays off. It did last night at leastDont think Daz has done his hammy mate...he was walking.fine around the pitch at full time last night. Pretty sure He was taken off as a precaution after the knock

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

MacGruber
01-02-2018, 05:51 PM
Dont think Daz has done his hammy mate...he was walking.fine around the pitch at full time last night. Pretty sure He was taken off as a precaution after the knock

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

That would be good news :aok:

RossScott1991
01-02-2018, 05:54 PM
Scott Allan on paper is a good signing, if he plays to his capabilities. However I am not going to get too carried away.
Likewise with Kamberi debut yesterday, i don't think he is going to solve our goal scoring problems over night. I think we will still see games won by the odd goal rest of the season.

it's been ok, however 3/4 players on loan when they leave at end of season, with potentially mcgeough and mcginn we could be left with a revamp job in the team. Short term fixes for rest of this season, but going to be a lot of work needing done in summer imo

houstonhibbee
02-02-2018, 02:55 AM

#mindthegap
is that fair? You want the benefit of hindsight but Lennon doesn't have that luxury

my view is that i after seeing the motherwell game and what I've seen of Allan I am excited about the rest of the season. Apart from Stokes behavior i dont think it was working on the field. If it doesnt work out I won't blame the manager for trying to do the right things

The Leith Dutch
02-02-2018, 06:55 AM
Scott Allan on paper is a good signing, if he plays to his capabilities. However I am not going to get too carried away.
Likewise with Kamberi debut yesterday, i don't think he is going to solve our goal scoring problems over night. I think we will still see games won by the odd goal rest of the season.

it's been ok, however 3/4 players on loan when they leave at end of season, with potentially mcgeough and mcginn we could be left with a revamp job in the team. Short term fixes for rest of this season, but going to be a lot of work needing done in summer imo

That's pretty much how the two transfer windows work for a club our size though no?

Outside of the top clubs in England the January window is pretty much a patch up job and even the big clubs agree there's not great value to be had.

In terms of the rebuild job depends massively on what happens both on the park and contractually over the next six months.
If the loan players play too **** or too well we're unlikely to keep them. If the club sits with it's finger up it's arse on McGeouch and McGinn then we'll lose them.

So yes, worst case scenario we need a new midfield and strikers in the summer.

Better scenario -
Kamberi turns out to be the number 9 we've been looking for (and signs permanently as I believe the deal already allows).
McGeouch re-signs and is finally over his injury problems.
Allan comes back to the form he showed under Stubbs and realises Hibs is where he belongs and we sign him permanently.
McGinn extends and we sell him for several million to an EPL club either in summer of January.

Doubt all the above will come true but also equally doubt that we'll be needing a completely new team in front of the defence.

ian cruise
02-02-2018, 07:05 AM
I'm actually a lot more calm about our recruitment after this window. In the summer we identified areas we wanted to strengthen and signed player for those. On paper they looked good. Granted a couple were gambles (Stokes given past indiscretions, Whittaker fitness) but if they'd come off then we'd be proclaiming it a masterstroke. Unfortunately some didn't work out, some still have time to improve like Murray and Slivka, they're not exactly old. Add in Slivka has a hard job displacing any of our current midfield but I'm confident his time will come.

Regarding this window again we identified the problems and made decisive action to cover. We brought in a keeper (who was good enough to be wanted by the champions) and then leveraged our position to bring back a class midfielder who had previously been our player of the year and can provide that creative spark we've been missing.

We signed a right back who will be good enough cover but probably not break the bank given we've got two solid options if they can get fit. He's a decent enough player who knows this league.

We had strikers who weren't scoring, we brought in two replacements with a decent pedigree who have a, lot to prove. Short term deals represent little risk to us if it doesn't work. I'd rather try something new than stick with options that weren't working.

We've two young prospects in Porteous and Shaw who have come on meaning a couple of the other players we had were no longer required so we've let them go and get games rather than let them just sit on the bench or the stands, in turn freeing up wages. Most importantly we've kept McGinn and McGeough, two players who are integral to any success we have this season.

We're 4th but we were on a bad run, the club took action to try spur us in to life again rather than do what others have done and just limp on until the end of the season. It's definitely not the whole raft of loans signings ourselves and others have done in Jan in a panic.

GGTTH

eastcoasthibby
02-02-2018, 07:37 AM

Stokes got himself moved on and whilst.undoubted ability rarely showed it for us in 5 months ..not having his apparent disruption in the squad may turn out.to be like giving.us a added improvement in morale and togetherness and focus for.some !!

Iggy Pope
02-02-2018, 08:15 AM
no it's not IMO.we should have competition for Stevenson and last night he wasn't very good.the posters point seemed pretty accurate

It's bollox IMO then. Lewis has a bad game (and he has had the odd bad game in 13 years or so) it's because he is a footballer. Not because he's somehow stopped 'threatening' (Arf!) due to a lack of competition. Bollox.

drkhibs
02-02-2018, 01:10 PM
It's bollox IMO then. Lewis has a bad game (and he has had the odd bad game in 13 years or so) it's because he is a footballer. Not because he's somehow stopped 'threatening' (Arf!) due to a lack of competition. Bollox.

By non threatening I mean that going forward his final ball and passing is nearly always ineffective with most 'crosses' not even getting past the first defender, that is why most teams are happy to give Lewis space as there is no end product.

So not bollox, just my opinion, as you are entitled to have yours!

GTTTH

BegbieHSC
12-02-2018, 02:44 PM
Tony Watt has been released, and has just posted this on twitter: "I’m predicting some negativity so I’ll delete the twitter app for 48 hours troops https://abs.twimg.com/emoji/v2/72x72/1f923.pnghttps://abs.twimg.com/emoji/v2/72x72/1f44d-1f3fc.png have a good one! Back to https://abs.twimg.com/emoji/v2/72x72/1f3f4-e0067-e0062-e0073-e0063-e0074-e007f.png now"

Anyone take him? He was pish at Hearts, but the "predicting some negativity" quote makes me wonder...

Thecat23
12-02-2018, 03:19 PM
Tony Watt has been released, and has just posted this on twitter: "I’m predicting some negativity so I’ll delete the twitter app for 48 hours troops https://abs.twimg.com/emoji/v2/72x72/1f923.pnghttps://abs.twimg.com/emoji/v2/72x72/1f44d-1f3fc.png have a good one! Back to https://abs.twimg.com/emoji/v2/72x72/1f3f4-e0067-e0062-e0073-e0063-e0074-e007f.png now"

Anyone take him? He was pish at Hearts, but the "predicting some negativity" quote makes me wonder...

I would take him. The way we play he’d do alright I think.

calumhibee1
12-02-2018, 03:20 PM
Maybe he’s going back to Hearts and is expecting a major back lash from the fans?

BegbieHSC
12-02-2018, 03:48 PM
Yeahhh, tbh with Barker out, Kamberi will probably be playing out in the wing, and more depth up front would be good, so I definitely would take him.

Can't say I'd be overly fussed if he went to the yams mind you.

SRHibs
12-02-2018, 03:50 PM
Yeahhh, tbh with Barker out, Kamberi will probably be playing out in the wing, and more depth up front would be good, so I definitely would take him.

I can't see why we'd put Kamberi on the wing. He's been great up front at winning balls, hassling defenders etc. Doesn't strike me as the type of player you'd want out on the wing.

Craig_HFC
12-02-2018, 03:53 PM
If he's just been released now then he wouldn't be able to play for anyone since the window has closed. He would need to have been released prior to the transfer window in order to sign for someone as a free agent.

Stuart93
12-02-2018, 04:29 PM

On the wing? Am I missing something

hhibs
12-02-2018, 04:33 PM
Still think we are a striker short, and hopefully Scott Allan returns to his best

That is how I see it to,couple of injuries and we will be really struggling up top , non of the strikers are very experienced and not sure we have anybody else near ready in the Development squad.

Maybe we are still looking ?

BegbieHSC
12-02-2018, 05:08 PM
On the wing? Am I missing something

Fairly sure it was stated when he signed that he can play on the left wing? Could be wrong.

It says so on his transfermarkt profile, but who knows. https://www.transfermarkt.com/florian-kamberi/profil/spieler/284020

Scooter
12-02-2018, 05:10 PM
If he's just been released now then he wouldn't be able to play for anyone since the window has closed. He would need to have been released prior to the transfer window in order to sign for someone as a free agent.

I'm sure if he was released before the Belgian window shut then he can sign out with our window

jacomo
12-02-2018, 06:02 PM
I see Jermain Pennant is looking for a club again, for those who were frothing about us not offering him a deal last summer...

SirDavidsNapper
12-02-2018, 06:29 PM
I see Jermain Pennant is looking for a club again, for those who were frothing about us not offering him a deal last summer...

The thought still makes me shudder

Kavinho
13-02-2018, 07:11 AM
I wouldn't bother personally.
He wouldn't improve us, even with half a Team out.
In fact he wouldn't improve us if we were allowed to play an extra man