PDA

View Full Version : Barry Bennell and Neil Lennon

jacomo
01-02-2018, 08:05 AM
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/jan/31/neil-lennon-walked-in-boy-barry-bennell

Has Lenny been called as a witness in this trial?

I had forgotten our manager was at Crewe as a young player, horrendous revelations coming out about the abuse that went on.

CentreLine
01-02-2018, 08:56 AM
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/jan/31/neil-lennon-walked-in-boy-barry-bennell

Has Lenny been called as a witness in this trial?

I had forgotten our manager was at Crewe as a young player, horrendous revelations coming out about the abuse that went on.

I’m a bit uncomfortable with the headlines, especially in the Scotsman. Headline makes it sound like NL should have been a witness, suggesting he walked in “moments after”. Evidence quoted by the witness says he came in to the caravan “not long after”. A very different thing and the caravan was NL’s digs too. Disgusting thing to happen to the witness but seriously distorted headline re Lennon. I would be very surprised if NL was not interviewed as a potential witness and, if that was the case, his absence as such suggests he saw nothing.
Furthermore, if this victim had disclosed to Lennon what had happened it would have been valuable evidence to the crown.

hibsbollah
01-02-2018, 09:02 AM
Obviously it's pure coincidence he was walking past just after the event, but I'm sure that won't put off the yams using it to bulk up their massive songbook with something sick and unpleasant.

Jones28
01-02-2018, 09:20 AM
I’m a bit uncomfortable with the headlines, especially in the Scotsman. Headline makes it sound like NL should have been a witness, suggesting he walked in “moments after”. Evidence quoted by the witness says he came in to the caravan “not long after”. A very different thing and the caravan was NL’s digs too. Disgusting thing to happen to the witness but seriously distorted headline re Lennon. I would be very surprised if NL was not interviewed as a potential witness and, if that was the case, his absence as such suggests he saw nothing.
Furthermore, if this victim had disclosed to Lennon what had happened it would have been valuable evidence to the crown.

It implies as though Lennon walked in and saw something - the body of the article makes it quite clear he didn't. Pretty poor editing.

hibs#1
01-02-2018, 09:29 AM
It implies as though Lennon walked in and saw something - the body of the article makes it quite clear he didn't. Pretty poor editing.

Saw it on Twitter last night as you say Lennon's name was just shoehorned into the headline pretty shameful if you ask me.

Carheenlea
01-02-2018, 09:36 AM
The Evening News article on FB of the same was worse - clickbait at it 's worst. Desperate journalism.

jacomo
01-02-2018, 09:42 AM

Yes true, but poor reporting is even more of a reason to establish the truth of what happened.

All of football needs to face up to some pretty uncomfortable truths and not resort to petty tribalism imo.

Captain Trips
01-02-2018, 09:45 AM
Obviously it's pure coincidence he was walking past just after the event, but I'm sure that won't put off the yams using it to bulk up their massive songbook with something sick and unpleasant.

I'm sure we will hear all about it v Sevco.

Tornadoes70
01-02-2018, 09:49 AM
These headlines are appalling in my opinion. Lenny's very obviously done nothing wrong here and for their own reasons some of the press are slyly giving the false impression that he's somehow connected other than simply being an entirely innocent resident where the paedophile Bennell carried out abuse. The caravan was one of a large number of places Bennell carried out his depravity and thankfully was the last one. If it had been Alex Ferguson/Walter Smith/Gordon Smith/Yam/Hun these articles would not be written in the same vein. Disgusting gutter press type headlines here.

mon the cabbage!!!

jacomo
01-02-2018, 09:57 AM
These headlines are appalling in my opinion. Lenny's very obviously done nothing wrong here and for their own reasons some of the press are slyly giving the false impression that he's somehow connected other than simply being an entirely innocent resident where the paedophile Bennell carried out abuse. The caravan was one of a large number of places Bennell carried out his depravity and thankfully was the last one. If it had been Alex Ferguson/Walter Smith/Gordon Smith/Yam/Hun these articles would not be written in the same vein. Disgusting gutter press type headlines here.

mon the cabbage!!!

Don’t think anyone is suggesting Lenny has done anything wrong. Just that he might have some useful information for the prosecution.

WhileTheChief..
01-02-2018, 10:23 AM
The thread title is just as spurious as the paper’s headline.

There is zero connection between Lennon and that guy.

jacomo
01-02-2018, 10:27 AM
The thread title is just as spurious as the paper’s headline.

There is zero connection between Lennon and that guy.

Other than they were at the same club for five years, no connection whatsoever.

:rolleyes:

WhileTheChief..
01-02-2018, 10:32 AM
You know the point I’m making.

CRAZYHIBBY
01-02-2018, 10:54 AM
This thread should be closed

jacomo
01-02-2018, 12:07 PM
This thread should be closed

Ok then!

McrHibee
01-02-2018, 10:21 PM
The Evening News article on FB of the same was worse - clickbait at it 's worst. Desperate journalism.

They actually put that 'story' in the print version today as well. As a reporter, I looked at it thinking, have I missed something here or is this just a nothing story? Pathetic 'journalism'.

jacomo
20-02-2018, 04:54 PM
I got some grief for posting this thread. Now that the verdict is in, and to his enormous credit, our manager has now spoken about that time and how even close mates couldn’t talk about it.

Monsters like Bennell got away with what they did for so long because they could threaten young players to keep them quiet.

Hopefully that culture has now gone.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/43114431

hhibs
22-02-2018, 10:49 AM

I personally would not soil the word journalism with any connection with any Johnston Press rag.

To be honest pretty well the whole of the main stream media in Scotland including the bbc are corrupt and biased but Johnston Press ,Telegraph,Mail,Express and Record are beyond even that description.

mjhibby
22-02-2018, 10:55 AM
I got some grief for posting this thread. Now that the verdict is in, and to his enormous credit, our manager has now spoken about that time and how even close mates couldn’t talk about it.

Monsters like Bennell got away with what they did for so long because they could threaten young players to keep them quiet.

Hopefully that culture has now gone.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/43114431

To be fair to the BBC they handled it very well and just played the whole interview. I don't think they have anything to to apologise for unlike the written press whose behaviour is just the lowest of the low but we know they have form for it.

superfurryhibby
22-02-2018, 12:25 PM
I listened to what Lennon had to say on Radio 4 on the day of the verdict. I have to say that our manager spoke about his experience at Crewe and the wider issues with a great deal of dignity and quiet emotion. The interview was conducted respectfully and it actually brought a tear to my eye to hear about the impact of the activities of a depraved monster like the man whose name I won't even mention.

Lennon made it clear that he was of an age whereby he wasn't the target of the deviant. However, some of his close buddies were ( having come through the youth ranks and been groomed) and he spoke of his sense of letting pals down that they couldn't confide in him, as well as his feelings around the way that rumours at the time were brushed to the side, in typical football manner, no one was taking things seriously at the time.

I have to say that Lennon is a tremendous ambassador for our club. He's an articulate and intelligent man and is deserving of a great deal of respect.

Stevie Reid
22-02-2018, 12:39 PM
I listened to what Lennon had to say on Radio 4 on the day of the verdict. I have to say that our manager spoke about his experience at Crewe and the wider issues with a great deal of dignity and quiet emotion. The interview was conducted respectfully and it actually brought a tear to my eye to hear about the impact of the activities of a depraved monster like the man whose name I won't even mention.

Lennon made it clear that he was of an age whereby he wasn't the target of the deviant. However, some of his close buddies were ( having come through the youth ranks and been groomed) and he spoke of his sense of letting pals down that they couldn't confide in him, as well as his feelings around the way that rumours at the time were brushed to the side, in typical football manner, no one was taking things seriously at the time.

I have to say that Lennon is a tremendous ambassador for our club. He's an articulate and intelligent man and is deserving of a great deal of respect.

Couldn't agree more, especially when allied to the way he talks openly about his depression also.

patlowe
22-02-2018, 12:39 PM

These were my thoughts exactly when I heard it. Before he came to the club I completely underestimated Lennon's intelligence and insight into things that go way beyond football.

Hearing Kris Commons on the radio last night also made me realise how much players want to play/win for him. A great manager but it seems a great man also.

JimBHibees
22-02-2018, 01:28 PM

Totally agree considering what sort of stuff he has had to deal with personally both in terms of his depression and the ridiculous levels of abuse in this country he is clearly intelligent and very open about his opinions which are measured and sensitively delivered. Huge respect to Neil and and he is a terrific ambassador for the club. We are very lucky to have him both in a football and more general sense IMO.

mjhibby
22-02-2018, 01:34 PM

If people don't realise how lucky we are to have him at the club then more fool them. He's the perfect guy to be at the helm at this period in the clubs history.