PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Motherwell 31 January 2018)

Jonnyboy
31-01-2018, 10:44 PM
All of the talk prior to tonight’s game revolved around our movement in the transfer market and there was certainly plenty to discuss. First off was the long expected signing of Florian Kamberi on a six month loan from Grasshoppers Zurich but that was just the start of things as an amount of juggling of deals saw Scott Bain’s loan deal from Dundee being cancelled to allow the keeper to join Celtic on a permanent deal. Then it became known that Simon Murray was off to Dundee on loan to the end of the season with former Hibee Scott Allan having his loan deal from Celtic replaced by a deal to join Hibernian. Another player to leave was the very popular Liam Fontaine who signed a deal with Ross County taking him through to the end of the season. As the dust settled it seemed we were now going to have to look again for a backup keeper, meaning that Kevin Dabrowski was on the bench against Motherwell.

It was something of a surprise that Kamberi was named in the starting eleven but the big striker was soon in the thick of the action when Brandon Barker raced into the box and cut the ball back to Kamberi whose shot was net bound until Cedric Kipre cleared the ball before it crossed the line. The clearance went out for a corner and McGinn’s delivery was met at the back post by Paul Hanlon who was unlucky in seeing his header crash back of the post. With Hibs enjoying most of the possession, Motherwell were rarely seen in attack but when they did break out they looked a danger with Carl McHugh probing from midfield and the bustling Curtis Main keeping our centre backs busy.

On the half hour mark Hibs broke the deadlock when Kamberi chested the ball into the path of John McGinn. SJM’s shot was blocked but when the ball came back out to Kamberi on the edge of the box the big striker struck a ferocious drive into the net off the underside of the bar. It was a cracker and a great start for the debutant.

As the half neared its end, Allan Campbell twice had half chances to draw Motherwell level but one went wide and the other trickled through to Marciano as the Motherwell midfielder slipped on taking a shot. The first half ended with Hibs on the front foot and with referee Alan Main having had to book both Campbell and Tait for fouls on Martin Boyle. Quite how Dunne avoided a booking for a series of fouls, mostly on McGinn, is a mystery only Alan Muir could explain.

With Bartley on for Slivka, who looked to have limped off at half time, Hibs were nearly shocked by an equaliser when Campbell once again had a chance but his shot went high and wide. Within sixty seconds of that happening a glorious ball down the line from McGinn found Boyle scampering free. Squirrel reached the bye line before cutting it back to Barker who lashed the ball into the top corner of Carson’s net to secure his first goal for Hibs.

A double substitution by Motherwell saw them start to take the upper hand with Hibs strangely and collectively falling out of the game and finding the ball was mostly in their own half as they struggled to get out. It seemed that our midfield was struggling and noticeable that Kamberi had to drop deeper and deeper in order to get involved.

With a little over ten minutes left, Hibs conceded a very soft goal when a ball into the box saw Paul Hanlon allow it to bounce rather than putting it out for a corner. That indecision allowed Main to nip in and steer the ball past the advancing Marciano. Until that point Paul had been having a very good game and I’m sure he’ll be disappointed to have been caught out that way. Needless to say, Motherwell proceeded to throw everything at Hibs but the defence stood firm with Marciano making one excellent save to tip the ball over the bar.

The performance was a bit up and down I thought, with a few of our more reliable players not at their best and looking tired out but it’s results that count and the three points means we are clear in fourth place ahead of the weekend visit to Ibrox.

The players

Rocky – looked assured and dealt with pretty much everything that came his way. I’m not sure he could have done much more at the goal as he had to advance on Main to try and cut down the angle.

Efe – much more like his old self tonight and looked a million times more comfortable when he switched into the middle after McGregor went off injured.

Paul – blotted his copybook for the second game running in failing to deal decisively when he had the chance to clear. Otherwise he had a fine game but he needs to cut out these unforced errors.

Daz – although he only played for an hour before going off injured I thought he was immense and won everything in the air. His hour earns him my man of the match award.

Lewis – the wee man just wasn’t on it tonight with a few wayward passes.

Boyler – took some punishment tonight and was not always protected by the referee who seemed content to book only two of the various Motherwell players who took turns fouling him.

Slivka – only lasted the first half and looked to have taken a knock just before the interval and didn’t really get involved enough for me.

Dylan – had a great first half but seemed to drop out of things for a long spell in the second. A few wayward passes which was most un-Dylan like.

SJM – like Dylan he was great in the first half but with about twenty minutes to go he looked dead on his feet. Having said that he still played his part and must surely get fed up of the number of foul tackles he has to endure.

Brandon – I thought this was his best game yet and he seems to revel in the more central role he’s playing. Took his goal brilliantly and posed all sorts of problems with his direct running. Still not always happy to put his foot in at times.

Florian – I actually thought about giving him my man of the match award. Not because he scored on his debut but because his all round game was excellent. Holds the ball up well, brings team mates into the game and is not afraid to do the hard work either resulting in a very promising start.

Marv – played the whole of the second half and did his job well in protecting the defence.

Faycal – replaced McGregor and went to right back as Efe moved inside. Had a few chances to break away down the wing but didn’t take them although that could just be down to a lack of full match fitness.

Ryan – the big fella is so assured on the ball and can tackle for fun. Not afraid to remonstrate with his seniors and you can just tell he’s going to be some player.

Neil – haven’t heard his post-match comments but I’ll bet he was pleased we managed to avoid adding to what’s been a pretty poor run of form in home games.

The fans – it’s bizarre hearing that over 15,000 were there tonight and thinking that that now constitutes a well below average attendance!

The ref – Alan Muir is so infuriating. Failed to notice on numerous occasions that Kipre was trying to swap jersey’s with Kamberi for the whole game and yet was quick to award Motherwell free kicks when little had happened to warrant them. I guess I just have little or no time for around 90% of our games Grade 1 officials.

And finally ………… if we have indeed signed Scott Allan, I for one am delighted because he could well be the key to open up opposing defences. We’ve lacked such a player and it’s cost us on occasions because we couldn’t turn possession into goals. I’m hoping he’ll provide the passes and that Boyle, Barker and Kamberi will do the damage. I know some of us are unhappy at the way he left but that’s all water under the bridge now and it’s time to look forward, not back.

MartinfaePorty
31-01-2018, 10:51 PM
Agree with the vast majority. I also think if we had made the change before their goal in bringing Porteous on (as we were trying to do) we would have seen the game out comfortably at 2-0.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

hibby6270
31-01-2018, 10:57 PM
Spot on as usual JB.:thumbsup:

ehf
31-01-2018, 10:59 PM
Don't think Slivka was injured; he was hooked because he just didn't look interested.

hibee_girl
31-01-2018, 11:00 PM
Don't think Slivka was injured; he was hooked because he just didn't look interested.

That’s a bit unfair, he had a quiet 45 minutes but wouldn’t say he didn’t look interested

Jones28
31-01-2018, 11:04 PM
Good report as ever JB

Marciano 8 - looked very assured tonight, claimed a lot of crosses and commanded well.

Ambrose 7 - CROSS THE ****ING BALL - otherwise good defensively and looked much more comfortable in the middle
McGregor 8 - won everything, not good seeing him go off
Hanlon 5 - most unlike him to make a mistake like he did for the goal, usually reads the game so well but this caught him out.
Stevenson 4 - wow, nothing came off for him tonight. Usually his biggest fan but he had a bit of a stinker.

Barker 8 - delighted for him, he really enjoyed that goal - more please wee man!
Mcgeouch 6 - started well but his second half was poor, just didn't get in the game at all.
McGinn 7 - looked more like his best self tonight, strong, good passing and really looked up for the fight
Slivka 6 - it's a shame he had to come off, he showed some nice touches.
Boyle 6 - took a few sore ones tonight, kept at it and played his part

Florian 8 - great to see a striker who can hold up, flick on and and score an absolute beauty.

Bartman 7 - did his usual job, got stuck right in.
Porteous 7 - he will be a player some day
Rherras 5 - he's nowhere near match fit and it showed. Looks keen to get on the ball though which is encouraging.

ehf
31-01-2018, 11:07 PM
That’s a bit unfair, he had a quiet 45 minutes but wouldn’t say he didn’t look interested

Perhaps a little unfair but I felt the levels of effort and commitment he displayed were noticeably below the rest of the team.

zolliehibs
31-01-2018, 11:12 PM
Perhaps a little unfair but I felt the levels of effort and commitment he displayed were noticeably below the rest of the team.

He pulled up a bit at the Motherwell end near the end of the first half so I'm sure that's why he came off, but he did have a quiet game. Saying that, I didn't think he was poor enough to question his commitment in what was a decent team performance.

Borderhibbie76
31-01-2018, 11:14 PM
Don't think Slivka was injured; he was hooked because he just didn't look interested.Incredibly harsh he tried hard to get involved Dylan was just as poor in 2md half tonight imo. And Slivka took a knock just before half time

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

MWHIBBIES
31-01-2018, 11:19 PM

Was clearly injured and played well first half, nonsense post.

Jones28
31-01-2018, 11:48 PM

He was limping on the half hour mark at the away end. Clearly hampered by injury.

NAE NOOKIE
01-02-2018, 12:10 AM
Marciano ..... 7 ..... Didn't appear to have any chance with the goal and made a couple of smart saves.

Ambrose .... 6 ..... Had a decent game, but as was mentioned earlier he needs to cross a bit quicker, but he gives good support on the right.

Hanlon ..... 7 .... Only let down by that silly moment in the 2nd half, apart from that had a good game.

McGregor .... 8 .... Was absolutely top drawer ( again ) before going off, we seemed to lose momentum when he went off.

Stevenson ... 5 .... Don't know what was up with him tonight, his usually reliable passing was shocking ... 100% effort as usual.

McGeouch .... 6 .... Excellent 1st half, but pretty quiet 2nd half and seemed reluctant to push us forward when he did have the ball.

Slivka ..... 5 .... Some neat and tidy stuff, but he doesn't make anything happen and needs to work harder to influence the game.

McGinn .... 7 .... Up for the fight and played the ball much quicker tonight, sublime pass to set Boyle away for our 2nd. But at times was playing behind Bartley in the 2nd half?

Barker .... 7 .... Some super runs on the ball and absolutely slammed home his goal, he looked overjoyed .. trouble was after he scored he began to think he was Messi and did some daft things when a simple pass would have been better.

Boyle .... 6 .... Worked hard and was on the end of at least two bloody cynical tackles, did very well to pick out Barker for our 2nd.

Florian .... 8 .... Lead the line superbly at times, worked his backside off, held the ball up well and scored. He would have been even more effective if the ref hadn't allowed the Well defence to foul him so often and get away with it. If this is how the guy plays every week happy days.

SUBS:

Bartley .... 6 .... Did Bartley stuff in a Bartley style, nearly had a panic attack at one point when he found himself in possession 20 yards out.

Porteous .... 6 .... Just slotted in like he's always been there, if McGregor is injured for the weekend I have faith that he will do a job for us if called upon.

Rherras .... 5 .... Looked a wee bit off the pace and must have been practising his shooting with Dylan McGeouch, hard to say if he will be a decent addition.

The ref .... If we had won 5 - 0 I still think he would have been booed off .... incredibly his performance wasn't as bad as the East stand linesman who was absolutely terrible.

A very good first half performance against a physical ( over physical at times ) Motherwell team who looked dangerous when they had the ball. I don't know what happened in the 2nd half, probably a combination of a number of things .... we seemed to lose something with the absence of McGregor, we also looked tired and happy to slack off on the forward momentum which was serving us so well after we went 2 up, which handed the impetus to Motherwell. Having said that Hanlon's aberration aside I thought we defended pretty well insomuch as we got lots of bodies between the Motherwell forwards and our goal.

Play like that first half at Ibrox and we will be fine, play like the second half and we will be in for a long afternoon .... please let it be the former and not the latter because that tonight was a great 3 points, not to mention a pretty decent game :aok:

Oh and PS ..... I know it isn't a big deal to most folk, but once again another away team at ER with no colour clash playing in their away strip ... it gets on my F'ing tits !!!

Forza Fred
01-02-2018, 12:12 AM
Was clearly injured and played well first half, nonsense post.

I thought he played well, and was surprised he didn’t appear second half.....but the wife....who knows everything, said she thought he was injured.

Agree re Man of the Match.

Thought McGregor was a colossus tonight, and hope he is back very soon

Good to see Barker score too......hopefully it had nothing to do with the appearance overhead of a rare Blue Moon....and he’s just turned the goal scoring tap on, so to speak.

marinello59
01-02-2018, 12:33 AM
He was limping on the half hour mark at the away end. Clearly hampered by injury.

Yeap. He was playing well up until then. I thought he did well in the 2nd half at Parkhead as well, hopefully the injury isn’t serious and he continues to get game time.

01-02-2018, 01:27 AM
Thanks for the match report Jonnyboy. Delighted for Barker getting his first goal for us, we'll deserved and what a cracking finish it was. I wonder how long ago he and SJM came up with the Fortnite goal celebration, a lot longer than a fortnight ago I'd bet.

Pleased also to see Kamberi have a good debut and it's always nice for a striker to get a debut goal.

lord bunberry
01-02-2018, 02:01 AM
Thank god for your match reports John. Even though I’m at the game drink always clouds my memory. I will have no memory of this post in the morning :greengrin

Steve20
01-02-2018, 04:11 AM
Think some are being far too harsh on Lewis. Wasn’t his best game but certainly wasn’t as being made out.

We were excellent for 75 mins of the game. Kamberi man of the match IMO.

hibee_girl
01-02-2018, 06:40 AM
Think some are being far too harsh on Lewis. Wasn’t his best game but certainly wasn’t as being made out.

We were excellent for 75 mins of the game. Kamberi man of the match IMO.

Agree about Lewis, he had some bad passes/crosses but defensively he was solid as usual, especially the excellent tackle he made in the box in the 2nd half

jacomo
01-02-2018, 06:48 AM
I felt Dylan kept things ticking over nicely and always showed for the ball. I love him as a player. But... at times he was the only one trying forward passes from midfield and some of those didn’t come off.

If Scott Allan can develop a good understanding with him (not always the case in their season together) then those two could run rings around most opponents.

Pretty Boy
01-02-2018, 06:57 AM
Excellent summary J.

I hate to pick up on a negative but agred re Lewis, bot sure what was up with him but it just didn't happen for him. I did notice him limping for a minute or so after a challenge in the 1st few minutes so wonder if he picked up a knock.

PeeJay
01-02-2018, 07:30 AM
With a little over ten minutes left, Hibs conceded a very soft goal when a ball into the box saw Paul Hanlon allow it to bounce rather than putting it out for a corner. That indecision allowed Main to nip in and steer the ball past the advancing Marciano. Until that point Paul had been having a very good game and I’m sure he’ll be disappointed to have been caught out that way.

Always enjoy reading your reports JC - never really been a fan of Hanlon, but I feel he is having a great season - thought he and Efe got in each other's way though, enabling Well to get their goal ...

Hibs were at their best when moving forward with pace, we slowed it up too often 2nd half, opting to make one pass too many or shove it around the back line allowing Well to regroup ... Flo had a great debut, will be interesting to see if he can be consistently as good ... thought Flo, Barker and Boyle also worked well as a trio, early days yet though, McGuinn finally had a good game ... Marciano had one or two excellent saves again too - you're spot on with Allan too, if this team gels, we could make a strong push for 3rd ..

CorrieHibs
01-02-2018, 07:31 AM

He was limping.

WestStandWillie
01-02-2018, 11:09 AM

He pulled up just in front of where I wis sitting . around 40 minutes

Bobby's Cinema
01-02-2018, 11:42 AM
Great start for the new man up top.

I thought it was a strong performance and we were fairly comfortable in the game.

For me we will have to look again at how to manage games as we needlessly took our foot off the gas far too early for me after going 2-0, stopped trying to get forward and on another day it could have cost us.

Important win :agree:

jacomo
01-02-2018, 11:50 AM
Great start for the new man up top.

I thought it was a strong performance and we were fairly comfortable in the game.

For me we will have to look again at how to manage games as we needlessly took our foot off the gas far too early for me after going 2-0, stopped trying to get forward and on another day it could have cost us.

Important win :agree:

Tbf the injuries disrupted us.

Bostonhibby
01-02-2018, 11:50 AM
Good summary as ever, pretty much how I saw it from the upper west when we finally got in as a result of defective ticket scanners again!

I was hoping slivka was injured as I see potential there but he just had a poor half I thought.

Important win though.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Blaster
01-02-2018, 11:57 AM
Certainly wouldn’t have lost that goal had mcgregor still been on the park. He would have attacked the initial ball whereas Ambrose was tentative. Hanlon then should have been stronger

Tynie01011973
01-02-2018, 12:03 PM
Thought Efe was more at fault for the goal than Hanlon imo.
Main had his body between Paul and where the ball was landing and was able to roll him to score.
If Efe had gone to header it would have been cleared

KWJ
01-02-2018, 12:43 PM
Hard to argue with that.

Ofi - 6 - Made one really good stop where he was already diving and adjusted his hands to hold following deflection but perhaps he could have come for the goal as well as a couple free kicks.

Efe - 7 - Some great defending headers and plays forward but found myself muttering 'Gonnae no dae that' even more than usual.
Daz - 9 - As you said, flawless and missed when he went off.
Hanlon - 7 - Was in a good battle with Main and dealing with him well bar the one moment that cost us a goal. Main was definitely a handful.
Lewis - 5 - As poor a game as I've seen him have in a long time.
Rherras - 6 - Some good things, some bad.
Porteous - 7 - Not on pitch long but everything positive. Want to see more of him.

Slivka - 6 - not involved, went off injured. Would like to see him between McGinn and McGeouch.
McGeough - 6 - Not bad but not up to his early season form for me. Was getting frustrated but good to see him still giving all in injury time.
McGinn - 7 - Got us up the pitch when he had it but often sat too deep.
Bartley - 7 - Just the one half but did more than enough to take his place back from Vicky.

Boyle - 7 - Great set up for goal and some good harrying.
Barker - 7 - Good to see how much the goal meant to him. More of that please.
Kippembe - 8 - Couldn't ask for much more on a debut, hope he progresses.

I liked our set up last night with the Boyle up with Kippembe and Barker in behind but it did highlight to me that Boyle and Barker don't make as many of the smart runs that good forwards do and perhaps we'd bag more goals with 2 natural forwards. I'd like to see us use MacLaren and Shaw alongside Kippembe going forward. That said 2 goals today that involved the 2 willing runners so can't be all too bad to have these options.

GGTTH

KingFranck
01-02-2018, 03:22 PM

Defo injured I turned to my mate and said Slivka is limping that was just before half time

O'Rourke3
01-02-2018, 11:32 PM
[QUOTE=Tynie01011973;5303786]Thought Efe was more at fault for the goal than Hanlon imo.
Main had his body between Paul and where the ball was landing and was able to roll him to score.
If Efe had gone to header it would have been cleared[/QMany happy returnsUOTE]
This. Slovak definitely had an injury too. At some point we need to complain about the officials. Incompetent doesn't start to explain last night.