PDA

View Full Version : Stokes released

Pages : [1] 2

2belhaven
30-01-2018, 06:42 PM
Sky report Stokes released from contract

col02
30-01-2018, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the memories Stokes! Gutted it's ended like this as he's genuinely a class player when he wanted to be.

hibsbollah
30-01-2018, 06:44 PM
Sad.

Swedish hibee
30-01-2018, 06:45 PM
What a complete mess. And very, very sad. Gutted.

murray26
30-01-2018, 06:46 PM
It had to happen unfortunately.. all the best and thanks for that performance at Hampden.. hopefully he can get his head sorted and try and get something out of what’s left of his career..

Stevie Reid
30-01-2018, 06:48 PM
Will always be a legend, but it's an exit akin to Sauzee's in terms of disappointment. Of course Le God was the ultimate pro - Stokes is sadly a wasted talent.

Gutted that this is how his hibs career ends tbh. What memories he's given us but he's let the club down with his attitude and his silly actions. Good on hibs and Neil Lennon taking a tough stance on this, no player is bigger than the club and clearly Stokes wasn't prepared to buck up his ideas. No player is bigger than the club, cup final hero or not.

Disappointing from Stokes. A grown man and an experienced player who knows exactly what is expected from him yet clearly hasn't grown up. He will always be a club hero but he was becoming a big disruption that we don't need.

Smartie
Aye, sad it didn't work out.

TBH this is for the best on a number of levels. We can still be grateful to Stokes for the cup win, and be grateful for the fact that he did come back again.

It could have become silly, nasty and really bitter - this stops it getting to that level.

Disappointing and sad, but not disastrous.

I really hope he sorts his s**t out and gets a decent last few years out of his talent.

And I hope to god he doesn't do something really silly like join Hearts.

Oh - and respect to Lennon for taking what must have been a very, very tough decision. That's what we want from a manager - he's been let down, and he's done the right thing. Good on him.

neil7908
30-01-2018, 06:49 PM
What does released mean? Have we paid him off?

SirDavidsNapper
30-01-2018, 06:51 PM
A true Hibs legend. Thankyou for 21/5/16. Really sad but glad our manager has shown who's boss.

Craig_HFC
Everything was in place for it to work for him at Hibs; he didn't need to prove himself to the support because he was already loved, he knew most of the players & he had played the best football of his career under Lennon at Celtic so I was really hoping that it would work out with him. Gutted it hasn't because he is an excellent footballer on his day, unfortunately it wasn't 'his day' often enough.

What a waste of a talent & what a waste of an opportunity for him to really give it a go at one club and enhance his legend.

givescotlandfreedom
What a waste of a career. There are only so many chances you can waste.

truehibernian
It had to happen unfortunately.. all the best and thanks for that performance at Hampden.. hopefully he can get his head sorted and try and get something out of what’s left of his career..

More importantly it sets a very clear marker for the rest of the squad that we have standards of behaviour and not one player is bigger than the club. Sad as it may be I think this is strong (and good) management. I don't feel sorry for Anthony Stokes, I feel sorry for the people that put all that effort in during summer to get him. He's let everyone down at the club.

18Craig75
30-01-2018, 06:52 PM
Well done to Lennon for taking swift action. Not an easy decision to cut out your supposed talisman. No player is bigger than the club. Glad to see that history won’t repeat itself in the shape of a squad revolt, quick and decisive action from our manager!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tornadoes70

I think it means we've come to a mutual agreement/settlement with his contract terminated and he's now a free agent. I would think so anyway. Best all round I think. Still a Holy Grail Legend Stokesy!

Mon the Cabbage!!

Sammy7nil

It means we have come to an agreement that may have cost Hibs a few quid or maybe not.

Joe6-2
Sad and angry

Hibeewilly
Totally gutted the way this has panned out. All the best at your next club Stokesy

Sammy7nil
30-01-2018, 06:54 PM
Legend for 21 MAY but don't let the door hit ya on the way out. No one is bigger than Hibs.

Doh Rae Me
Everything was in place for it to work for him at Hibs; he didn't need to prove himself to the support because he was already loved, he knew most of the players & he had played the best football of his career under Lennon at Celtic so I was really hoping that it would work out with him. Gutted it hasn't because he is an excellent footballer on his day, unfortunately it wasn't 'his day' often enough.

What a waste of a talent & what a waste of an opportunity for him to really give it a go at one club and enhance his legend.

You took the words right out of my mouth.
Gutted but onwards and upwards.
Thanks for the memories

Vault Boy
His own fault.

Lee Marvin
30-01-2018, 06:55 PM
Gutted this has ended this way. Man clearly has serious issues.

B.H.F.C
Someone who should be up there with the all time legends but will probably never set foot in ER again. Sad.

greenlex

Possibly but my guess is he was going to be sacked if there was no agreement to rip up his contract. That would probably leave him in limbo without a club and no income and take a chance at a tribunal. It’s probably his best option. Best option all round to be fair

Swedish hibee
30-01-2018, 06:56 PM
Someone who should be up there with the all time legends but will probably never set foot in ER again. Sad.

Completely agree. It is so sad. And we still don't know what happened.

NAE NOOKIE
30-01-2018, 06:56 PM
As sad an episode as there has been at Hibs in my time supporting them. I hate seeing a guy who is an utter legend at ER go like this, for me and any other Hibby who was there or watched on the telly that day he will ALWAYS be a legend.

I fear for the guy now ... If after a season doing nothing he cant revive his career at a club where he was absolutely loved and everybody wanted him to succeed where will he revive it?

blackpoolhibs
30-01-2018, 06:59 PM
Sacked more like, but released saves his face and ends it to the football world amicably.

hibsbollah
30-01-2018, 06:59 PM
Will always be a legend, but it's an exit akin to Sauzee's in terms of disappointment. Of course Le God was the ultimate pro - Stokes is sadly a wasted talent.

Wow that's some statement. Personally there's no comparison, when Sauzee was sacked I was genuinely sickened and couldn't be ersed with hibs for a while.

Jamesie
30-01-2018, 07:00 PM

To be fair though I suspect Stokes will in the future have a lot more time for Hibs fans than Sauzee has ever shown. Ultimate pro or not, there's only one of the two who has won a Scottish Cup for Hibs. Not having a go, but the Sauzee love in ended a long time ago for me - the guy has shown no obvious interest in Hibs whatsoever since he left.

FranckSuzy
For the two goals v ICT and of course, the two goals in the greatest game in our proud history, thank you Anthony Stokes :not worth

green day
For the two goals v ICT and of course, the two goals in the greatest game in our proud history, thank you Anthony Stokes :not worth

👍👍👍

leggeto
I'm just gutted about this tbh,good luck stokesey and thanks for the memories

Scottie

:agree: Love him for that performance and sad that its turned out the way it has.

Stevie Reid
30-01-2018, 07:01 PM
Wow that's some statement. Personally there's no comparison, when Sauzee was sacked I was genuinely sickened and couldn't be ersed with hibs for a while.

I don't mean it's exactly the same. Just that it's a sad end to the career of someone who had become a Hibs legend.

CL0762
his performance that day will live with me until I finally depart this planet.

Shame how it’s turned out but I, along with the thousands of other Hibs fans will never ever forget his contribution to what is one of if not the best day of our lives.

sean04
If he has breached club rules he Could've potentially been sacked without a pay off

Thecat23
30-01-2018, 07:02 PM
Released no.. Punted yes!

Took the utter piss out the club, boy couldn’t care less!

NORTHERNHIBBY
No one at Easter Road will be in any doubt who is in charge now. That has to be the positive that we take from this. Toe the line or GTF. Anyone in the squad who is on nearies won't need a reminder.

hibsbollah
his performance that day will live with me until I finally depart this planet.

Shame how it’s turned out but I, along with the thousands of other Hibs fans will never ever forget his contribution to what is one of if not the best day of our lives.

He was almost unplayable. A legendary performance.

truehibernian
30-01-2018, 07:03 PM

I cried the minute it was announced and not ashamed to admit it - one of the worst moments in my Hibs supporting life. I also met him days after at his house (through work) and it felt like I was in mourning bollah.

jacomo
30-01-2018, 07:04 PM

I still remember hearing that Sauzee had gone. Absolutely gutted.

I don’t feel anything like that this evening.

Stevie Reid
30-01-2018, 07:05 PM

Neither do I. I have expanded on my original post.

LeithMike
30-01-2018, 07:05 PM
Will never forget what Anthony has done for this club and it's fans and I hope he is made welcome on his return with the other cup legends. Thay are fast disappearing.

I also really hope he can get good people around him who will help him deal with any issues he is facing and turn his life around. Always came across as an intelligent and likeable guy, but like us all, has a few demons to confront.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

SouthMoroccoStu
30-01-2018, 07:06 PM
Hope this means we have a replacement of equal standard lined up

We’ve left it very late otherwise

neil7908
30-01-2018, 07:06 PM

Good, as much as I'm sad how it's all turned out, we shouldn't be paying him a penny.

Diclonius
30-01-2018, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the best individual performance in a Hibs game ever, Stokes. However, even that doesn't allow you to do whatever you want. A shame.

jacomo
30-01-2018, 07:07 PM
If he has breached club rules he Could've potentially been sacked without a pay off

I’ll bet he leaves with a hefty chunk of our cash in his pocket. Seems to be the way this game works...

Hope for his sake he invests it wisely though, because I reckon his days of big contracts are gone.

GillyHibee
30-01-2018, 07:08 PM
Sad how this has turned out - but more than happy for Lennon to prove hes not messing about when it comes to discipline. Will be a wake up call to the squad.

Just hoping we have a similar player lined up (footballing ability wise)

superfurryhibby
30-01-2018, 07:09 PM
Gutted that it ends like this. Stokes gave us one of the greatest performances I've seen from any Hibs player in a game that matters.

Tornadoes70
Yep, I made my excuses at work and made my way down to Easter Road upon hearing of the news about big Frank and joined a fair number of fellow Hi bees who were gutted at the Legend being sacked. The only other time I've done that was the Mercer story breaking as did a huge number of very confused and increasingly angry fellow Hi bees.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

Onion
Sorry to see him go but none of the last 6 months or the way he leaves us changes my view of Stokes. He's a quality player who turned in one of the great performances on the biggest stage that has help to transform our club.

In time, we'll all forget the last few months and will remember Stokes on Fire, Hampden, 21 May 2016. Legend.

MWHIBBIES
30-01-2018, 07:10 PM
What did he do that was worse than Boyle and Swanson?

Stevie Reid
Sad how this has turned out - but more than happy for Lennon to prove hes not messing about when it comes to discipline. Will be a wake up call to the squad.

Just hoping we have a similar player lined up (footballing ability wise)

With regards to the latter, we only got someone of Stokes' ability, at his age, due to his off field problems. Trying to get someone of similar quality in January is a very big ask.

I'm sure something will happen though.

jacomo
Hope this means we have a replacement of equal standard lined up

We’ve left it very late otherwise

Have you not been following our business this month?

iwasthere1972
Thanks for the memories especially that great day at Hampden. Shame how it's ended. Not sure where he'll end up now.

NAE NOOKIE

To be fair though I suspect Stokes will in the future have a lot more time for Hibs fans than Sauzee has ever shown. Ultimate pro or not, there's only one of the two who has won a Scottish Cup for Hibs. Not having a go, but the Sauzee love in ended a long time ago for me - the guy has shown no obvious interest in Hibs whatsoever since he left.

I can identify with both statements. The way Hibs treated a guy who gave everything for us was shameful IMO not to mention needlessly panicking when we should have been stronger.

But as Jamesie says, for a guy who had such a rapport with the fans and must know the high regard he is still held in here he has never made any effort to pay us a visit, either to the club or any supporters functions and I'm positive it hasn't been due to lack of invitations.

jacomo
30-01-2018, 07:11 PM

2nd yellow card, for one thing.

The details might come out later.

Pretty Boy
30-01-2018, 07:12 PM
Sad it’s ended this way but it was always a risk taking him back. I’m not sure how much Stokes has left as a footballer. His heart just doesn’t seem in it anymore.

If I was talking to Stokes I’d probably say thanks for playing a huge part in one of the best days of my life and good luck sorting out whatever issues you may have to address.

Michael

I'm I the only one that still doesn't know?

kaimendhibs
So very sad. I'm gutted. Hibs legend, hope he sorts his career and life out. Thanks for May 2016 Stokesy

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

sleeping giant
Cheers for one of the best days of my life Stokes.

Thats how you will be remembered :gwa:

Captain Trips
Such a shame it ends like this but from tonight onwards I'm done with him and commenting on him in this chapter.

hibee92
30-01-2018, 07:14 PM
Gutted.

pacoluna
30-01-2018, 07:14 PM
It means we have come to an agreement that may have cost Hibs a few quid or maybe not.

And we'll never know. This whole situation has lacked transparency and I for one want an explanation.instead of hearing it all through the mud. Disgrace

lyonhibs
30-01-2018, 07:15 PM
That's ****ing gutting. A Hibs legend that needs to get this **** together it would seem.

He'll never pay for a pint in any boozer I'm in, put it that way.

BroxburnHibee
30-01-2018, 07:16 PM
Have Hibs confirmed this?

Bishop Hibee
30-01-2018, 07:17 PM
Thank you Stoksey for one of the greatest days in my life.

Paisley Hibby

I'm cynical enough to believe that this is nothing to do with "sorting out his head" but rather causing trouble to engineer a move somewhere else. I think he just didn't fancy staying at Hibs and/or knew of a more lucrative alternative if he could get released. So no, I'll not be wishing him all the best.

Pretty Boy
And we'll never know. This whole situation has lacked transparency and I for one want an explanation.instead of hearing it all through the mud. Disgrace

If there’s a disciplinary issue then Stokes has the same employment rights as anyone else and that includes a level of confidentiality.

Hibs probably wish they could tell everyone what went on to put the rumours to bed but that’s not how things work.

guthrie01

Exactly I hope Lennon lets the fans know the reasons behind letting go our biggest signing

One Day Soon
30-01-2018, 07:20 PM

While I'm disagreeing with you completely on other threads I'm at one with you on this. The Sauzee sacking for me was unforgiveable and actually I hold that against Petrie even now when pretty much everything else people slate Petrie for is comparatively Meh for me.

1van Sprou7e
The guy probably has some serious personal issues to sort out but even then, he's an absolute f@nny of a man and at this point I'm glad to see the back of him

Billychaotic182
So disappointing. Will need to be replaced. Actually gutted.

RossScott1991
LEGEND.

Will never need to buy a pint anytime he is ever in Edinburgh

Pretty Boy
30-01-2018, 07:21 PM
Exactly I hope Lennon lets the fans know the reasons behind letting go our biggest signing

If you were sacked from your job would you expect your ex employer to give details of the reasons why to all the other staff and customers?

ValleyHibee
Disappointed it's ended this way,thanks for your part in The Greatest Game in History

Sammy7nil

Probably part of the agreement neither party will reveal the reason

Famous Fiver
30-01-2018, 07:22 PM
Thanks Anthony.

I won't hear a word against you for a day that was 114 years in the cooking.

Thank you, thank you.............

staunchhibby
30-01-2018, 07:23 PM
Stokesy thanks for that fabulous day.Just gutted it has ended this way.Just hope you get yourself sorted out do not go to waste likd a lot others have

Keyser Sauzee
30-01-2018, 07:23 PM

I have no idea, but I’d imagine it will be an accumulation of incidents with stokes and Lennon has had enough and Swanson and Boyle have taken their punishment whilst stokes may have spat the dummy out. Like I said I have no idea but any1 can clearly see there’s more to it with stokes than the other 2 and it should really be that hard to work out.

Golden Bear
30-01-2018, 07:24 PM
Disappointed it's ended this way,thanks for your part in The Greatest Game in History

Yip disappointed as well but his behaviour made the outcome inevitable. Hopefully Club, Manager, Players and fans can all move on as one now.

Hibeesmad
30-01-2018, 07:24 PM
I think Lennon will give us a bit more info once he’s officially gone

sleeping giant
30-01-2018, 07:26 PM
I have no idea, but I’d imagine it will be an accumulation of incidents with stokes and Lennon has had enough and Swanson and Boyle have taken their punishment whilst stokes may have spat the dummy out. Like I said I have no idea but any1 can clearly see there’s more to it with stokes than the other 2 and it should really be that hard to work out.

Lots of "no idea " , "imagining" and maybes in that post :greengrin

30-01-2018, 07:27 PM
A sad end but for the best.

One Day Soon
30-01-2018, 07:27 PM
So Lennon's in charge and NO-ONE gets away with crap. What a turnaround that is from the cossetting of chocolate soldiers we'd been seeing for years before he came.

I'll never forget the cup final and his contribution but I'm afraid I'll also struggle to forget this drawn out episode and his failure to commit properly to the club's interests this season. It's been a golden opportunity for him and the club to kick on and instead he's let himself and the club down.

I genuinely believe we're building something special right now and anyone who isn't signed up to that or who thinks they're bigger than the the rest needs to know where the door is.

Keyser Sauzee
30-01-2018, 07:28 PM
Lots of "no idea " , "imagining" and maybes in that post :greengrin

Don’t know what ur on about, I’m ITK 😂

JeMeSouviens
30-01-2018, 07:28 PM
While I'm disagreeing with you completely on other threads I'm at one with you on this. The Sauzee sacking for me was unforgiveable and actually I hold that against Petrie even now when pretty much everything else people slate Petrie for is comparatively Meh for me.

Add me to the agreement, hence my username (which seems to have stuck now).

NAE NOOKIE
30-01-2018, 07:29 PM

Why?

There cant be a club on the planet who will punt arguably their best and most highly paid player on a whim. Whatever it was I'm sure Hibs management from Neil Lennon upwards weighed up all of the ifs and buts and made a decision based on what was best for Hibs.

Aldo
I think Lennon will give us a bit more info once he’s officially gone

Tbh I don't really care. For his part on that day in May 2016 I will be forever grateful but he's not bigger than the club!

What I do care about is the club and those willing to pull on the jersey and play.

Time to move on and get right behind NL, the players and the club!

Time For Heroes
You'll always be on fire Stokesy.
Cheers for the memories

guthrie01
30-01-2018, 07:31 PM
If you were sacked from your job would you expect your ex employer to give details of the reasons why to all the other staff and customers?

You can’t compare Football to an every day job, totally different worlds.

It’s a situation where information was already leaked about what happened, but whether it’s true or false and how big of a situation it was nobody knows. Some clarification for the fans who invest in the team and club would be better than a mess of accusations and rumours.

IGRIGI
30-01-2018, 07:32 PM
What an absolute mess this turned out to be.

Don't know what's went on but what an f up of a huge opportunity to turn his career around.

One Day Soon
30-01-2018, 07:32 PM

It’s a situation where information was already leaked about what happened, but whether it’s true or false and how big of situation it was nobody knows. Some clarification for the fans who invest in the team and club would be better than a mess of accusations and rumours.

Totally disagree. Player's gone, situation resolved. Draw a discreet veil and move on.

Apart from anything else the strongest dressing rooms need to be like sacred spaces. All about trust and loyalty.

Pretty Boy
30-01-2018, 07:33 PM

It’s a situation where information was already leaked about what happened, but whether it’s true or false and how big of situation it was nobody knows. Some clarification for the fans who invest in the team and club would be better than a mess of accusations and rumours.

Totally different worlds but bound by the same employment laws and rights as any other job.

Like it or not we have no more right to know anything than we would if the guy who drives the delivery vans for our local Tesco was punted tonight as well.

Bristolhibby
30-01-2018, 07:33 PM
My lad will be gutted. He got Stokes 28 on his new away shirt back in August.

I wonder if Hibs will as a good will gesture give kids with Stokes on their shirts replacements. He only lasted 5 months!

J

Jones28
30-01-2018, 07:35 PM
Deary me, well for the Scottish cup I will be forever greatful.

For the season I think we're well rid.

Hibeewilly
30-01-2018, 07:36 PM
If Hibs have released him from his contract I would imagine he has another club lined up and they will no doubt have been involved in the negotiations. Unless of course Hibs have been able to terminate his contract due to disciplinary reasons

Tornadoes70
30-01-2018, 07:37 PM

It’s a situation where information was already leaked about what happened, but whether it’s true or false and how big of a situation it was nobody knows. Some clarification for the fans who invest in the team and club would be better than a mess of accusations and rumours.

Most of us understand the necessity to keep internal club matters private. The club is duty bound to ensure the finer details of employee confidentiality. Its normal practice.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

guthrie01
30-01-2018, 07:39 PM
Totally different worlds but bound by the same employment laws and rights as any other job.

Like it or not we have no more right to know anything than we would if the guy who drives the delivery vans for our local Tesco was punted tonight as well.

Fair enough

I hope for his own sake Stokes can find a new club and keep his head focused for once

Onwards and upwards as they say...

30-01-2018, 07:43 PM
I hope Stokes is feeling quite ashamed tonight, he's let himself down badly and left hibs under a dark cloud when really he should be leaving on a huge high after what he did here.

The guy has got talent but his attitude is a real let down. This isn't some naive young lad we're talking about here, Stokes is an experienced player who should know better. Unfortunately I fear that if he hasn't screwed the head by now especially at a club he was idolised at and so willed to succeed, he never will.

blackpoolhibs
30-01-2018, 07:46 PM
Personally i don't feel anything for this man now, even after the cup final.

hibsbollah
30-01-2018, 07:46 PM

I wonder if Hibs will as a good will gesture give kids with Stokes on their shirts replacements. He only lasted 5 months!

J

My son has the same shirt. Hes taken the news in his stride though.

Niffy
30-01-2018, 07:48 PM
If NL was as shrewd as we think he is , Stokes should never have been taken back the way he dragged it on for weeks. It showed then he had absolutely no desire to make an impression. Living off the final I’m afraid. Glad we’ve freed up the wages.

Betty Boop
30-01-2018, 07:48 PM

Same just another Billy Big Baws.

scoopyboy
30-01-2018, 07:50 PM
Will always be grateful to him for our Scottish Cup win in 2016.

Fully back Hibs in the parting of the ways.

Genuinely fear for the guy, he will end up with f*** all.

Lago
I really had hoped this could be resolved, but not to be a sad end.

greenlex

This is where I am. I am actually quite angry the **** couldn’t see fit to being the slightest bit professional and let the club down his team mates and each an every one of us.

One Day
30-01-2018, 07:51 PM
I wonder if he will move abroad

Viva_Palmeiras
30-01-2018, 07:52 PM
I wonder if he will move abroad

Well she usually stays at home ;)

HeidTheBaw
30-01-2018, 07:52 PM

Allegedly he did it on a regular basis. However I take your point...Boyle got an extension despite his previous misdemeanour and choose to piss on Lenny's trust as did Swanson do after the club supporting him through his "issues".... FFS being in Gladstones is asking for trouble, it's a sH 1t dive

tartanhibee
30-01-2018, 07:53 PM

J

In the same boat although he is 6 I’ve not told him yet. Normally I would just put it down to one of these things happen but he is due to be a mascot in March so may ask the question. If you don’t ask you don’t get lol

Billy Whizz
30-01-2018, 07:53 PM

J

Think they should, 2 of the 3 young lads I take, have Stokes on their strip

Scouse Hibee
30-01-2018, 07:55 PM
Allegedly he did it on a regular basis. However I take your point...Boyle got an extension despite his previous misdemeanour and choose to piss on Lenny's trust as did Swanson do after the club supporting him through his "issues".... FFS being in Gladstones is asking for trouble, it's a sH 1t dive

Being in Gladstones is asking for trouble? Behave with that pish, given the recent events that's a poor comment to make.

J-C
30-01-2018, 07:57 PM
Thanks for that cup performance but you took the p1ss and caused dressing room disruption, you had to go.

BSEJVT
30-01-2018, 07:58 PM

Yet according to many Petrie's was the only voice for retaining Sauzee and our then Chairman Malcom McPherson pushed the button.

I wouldn't pretend to know the real truth, but maybe King Herod got a bad rap too through a similar misunderstanding :-)

Onion
30-01-2018, 07:58 PM

J

Stokes 28, Gray 2, Stanton 4 are all classics and your lad should be proud to wear his name and number.

hibbyfraelibby
30-01-2018, 07:59 PM
With Laughatme heading for the exit at the Library Annex whats the chances he cross the city?

stoneyburn hibs
A sad ending for a club legend.

J-C
It's his dad's pub ffs

Crazyhorse

Me too. I'm still gutted about Sauzee.

Stokes deserves enormous thanks for the Cup final performance but Frank belongs to a different footballing world. He never let his standards drop for a second. I would have paid the admittance price just to watch him do his pre-match warm up at ER.

madhatter
30-01-2018, 08:03 PM
See ya :bye:

How to destroy your own footballing career...genuinely hope he gets a book written to guide youth away from the path he has taken in his career.

He must have been causing dressing room issues for it to have reached this stage...we will likely never know but whatever he has done must have been pretty bad. Lennon has always had a wee bit of a soft spot for him, Stokes has been here before and clearly not had such a poor influence before for players to be unhappy with him, Dempster wouldn’t want this situation to occur (waste of money) but obviously feels situation is so bad that she needs to support Manager who appears to be taking just action. It all points to Stokes having done something very very stupid.

Thanks for the memories but glad you’re leaving, sad but good riddance is best sentiment now.

Let’s get behind the other players who give 100% every match. Can’t wait for the game tomorrow :flag:

HeidTheBaw
30-01-2018, 08:04 PM
Being in Gladstones is asking for trouble? Behave with that pish.

I lived not 100 yards from it...knew it well and it was a minefield...and I worked in the bar trade for 20+ years so I hope I know a thing or two.. regardless, that's off topic. Stokes thought he was untouchable, Boyle got a bit above himself and his dip in form no co-incidence with the contract extension of course, in the comfort zone perhaps?....meanwhile Swanson has done NOTHING for us despite the clubs support. if that is more pish in your eyes/mind so be it...opinion proffered and nothing you say will change it

BSEJVT
30-01-2018, 08:04 PM
Whilst I hope an expect that he is gone, I am tempted to wait until its officially announced as it could be some gadgey jumping the gun.

I have defended his playing contribution but I cant defend the alleged disruption he has caused to what was previously a seemingly very harmonious dressing room.

A legend for 210516 but unfortunately now a tarnished one.

Scouse Hibee
30-01-2018, 08:08 PM
I lived not 100 yards from it...knew it well and it was a minefield...and I worked in the bar trade for 20+ years so I hope I know a thing or two.. regardless, that's off topic. Stokes thought he was untouchable, Boyle got a bit above himself and his dip in form no co-incidence with the contract extension of course, in the comfort zone perhaps?....meanwhile Swanson has done NOTHING for us despite the clubs support. if that is more pish in your eyes/mind so be it...opinion proffered and nothing you say will change it

Given recent events your comment about being in there is asking for trouble was ill thought out to say the least. I agree with the sentiment of the rest of your post.

Stantons Angel
30-01-2018, 08:10 PM
ive a sense of sadness at the finality of this. Stokes is a gifted player and the display of the cup final was the sort of class i expected from him in every game he pulled that jersey over his head for.

No manager in any occupation is going to accept behaviour of the type he showed and the indigence shown towards Lennon.

He must have known that Lennon would not stand his shenanigans especially when involving other team members. Lets hope its a warning to others not to mess with Lennon.

Lennon i must admit has acted professionally in all of this hardly being able to hide his anger under neath the composure of his voice in interviews.

Stokes let himself down and really should have a look at himself. He is of an age now when he doesnt have long as a professional player and clubs will not want the influences he brings as part of his baggage.

I really hope he gets the help he obviously needs and can at least play out the rest of his career with a decent club. (as long as its not Hearts)

I wish him good luck and also thank him for the cup final display. His name will forever be written in Hibs history. Just sad it had to end this way.

HeidTheBaw
30-01-2018, 08:13 PM
Given recent events your comment about being in there is asking for trouble was ill thought out to say the least. I agree with the sentiment of the rest of your post.
I don't think so..... we all find ourselves in difficult, unexpected situations...Swanson having come through that and accepted help and sympathy from the club and supporters then goes out with the legend that is Stokes and draws further attention to himself...now that is ill founded thinking IMHO

HH81
30-01-2018, 08:13 PM
Not had chance to read full thread. Have Hibs had to pay his contract up?

Peevemor
30-01-2018, 08:20 PM
I'm saddened by this too. Despite being criticised by some on here, for me he's been playing well in a deeper role and we look less comfortable in the final third without him.

I could be wrong, but I don't get the impression that Stokes has an ego problem - I really believe he's just a big daft laddie.

I hope he gets something decent sorted out and maybe, if we've freed up a bit of money (?) we'll see someone decent coming in.

Eyrie
30-01-2018, 08:21 PM
For that legendary performance on 21/05/16, thanks and good luck.

For letting us down with his behavior this season, no thanks and good bye.

Jonnyboy
30-01-2018, 08:24 PM
Will always be grateful to him for our Scottish Cup win in 2016.

Fully back Hibs in the parting of the ways.

Genuinely fear for the guy, he will end up with f*** all.

:agree: My thoughts entirely, J

G B Young
30-01-2018, 08:24 PM
Could and should have been an outstanding success for us this season but if Lennon can't get the best out of him any more I'm not sure who can.

Very, very disappointed that it's come to this but it still puts a smile on my face even now just thinking about his goals in the cup final. And as others have pointed out, those goals up at Inverness were vital to the cause too. So thanks for the memories Stokesy, just sorry you weren't able to give us even more to remember you by.

blackpoolhibs
30-01-2018, 08:28 PM
I'm saddened by this too. Despite being criticised by some on here, for me he's been playing well in a deeper role and we look less comfortable in the final third without him.

I could be wrong, but I don't get the impression that Stokes has an ego problem - I really believe he's just a big daft laddie.

I hope he gets something decent sorted out and maybe, if we've freed up a bit of money (?) we'll see someone decent coming in.

You are wrong, the guy is so up his own arse its mad, doesnt give a toss for authority, turns up when he wants, sometimes not turning up.

A daft laddie he's certainly not, he knows exactly what he's doing.

erin-go-bragh87
30-01-2018, 08:32 PM
Anyone think he'll stay in Scotland and score against us this season?

Peevemor
30-01-2018, 08:33 PM
You are wrong, the guy is so up his own arse its mad, doesnt give a toss for authority, turns up when he wants, sometimes not turning up.

A daft laddie he's certainly not, he knows exactly what he's doing.Fair enough, I can only go by what I see on the pitch and in interviews.

Heisenberg
30-01-2018, 08:34 PM
Anyone think he'll stay in Scotland and score against us this season?

It’s a possibility. Someone utterly desperate and willing to turn a blind eye to his behaviour.

Billy Whizz
30-01-2018, 08:37 PM

A daft laddie he's certainly not, he knows exactly what he's doing.

A nicer lad you couldn’t meet away from the park. But you have to ask why the career, of someone who was once a £2m player, gone down the pan

KeithTheHibby
Don’t really think he gave a **** about Hibs.

Just Jimmy
lose lose for Hibs.

lose our best goal scorer and he'll be free to sign for whoever (and maybe play against us).

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

SideBurns
30-01-2018, 08:38 PM
Stokes did more for us in 90 minutes than hundreds of previous players achieved over several seasons - many of whom were better professionals, but not better footballers.

That disnae excuse his apparent disrespect for the club this time around, or helps me understand why he'd choose to ruin a short career which still had the potential to be a brilliant one. But for that day in May 2016, I will be eternally grateful.

cleanyman
30-01-2018, 08:39 PM
***** state of affairs.

Within a matter of weeks we are going to be facing our ex top strikers in Cummings and Stokes.

Ah well.

Peevemor
30-01-2018, 08:40 PM
Don’t really think he gave a **** about Hibs.Again I could be wrong, but I got the impression he felt more at home at ER than anywhere else.

Billy Whizz
***** state of affairs.

Within a matter of weeks we are going to be facing our ex top strikers in Cummings and Stokes.

Ah well.

Stokes to The Rangers

erin-go-bragh87
Don’t really think he gave a **** about Hibs.

I agree. There was an interview with him and Boyle on Easter road after the final where he was asked if hed be back next season. The way he said "Yeah but only for a pint" kind of summed up how he felt about playing for us. I don't think he was ever really that happy to have ended up back here. He's proved he thought he was bigger than the club with all of this. The club has proved he is not.

blackpoolhibs
30-01-2018, 08:41 PM
Stokes to The Rangers

:greengrin

SRHibs
30-01-2018, 08:43 PM
Has to be one of the most disappointing signings ever, especially when you consider the furore and excitement over him on here towards the end of the window, but you can’t fault Lennon for signing him I don’t think. Hindsight eh. Only out for himself.

Tornadoes70
30-01-2018, 08:44 PM
Stokes did more for us in 90 minutes than hundreds of previous players achieved over several seasons - many of whom were better professionals, but not better footballers.

That disnae excuse his apparent disrespect for the club this time around, or helps me understand why he'd choose to ruin a short career which still had the potential to be a brilliant one. But for that day in May 2016, I will be eternally grateful.

:top marks

Well said.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

30-01-2018, 08:45 PM
I’ll refrain from the baseless judgement of someone I’ve never mets character and thank him for the greatest performance I’ve ever seen from a Hibs player.

Best of luck in the future Stokesy 💚

pacoluna
30-01-2018, 08:48 PM
I agree. There was an interview with him and Boyle on Easter road after the final where he was asked if hed be back next season. The way he said "Yeah but only for a pint" kind of summed up how he felt about playing for us. I don't think he was ever really that happy to have ended up back here. He's proved he thought he was bigger than the club with all of this. The club has proved he is not.
Making up quotes now are we 😂😂 never once did he say he will only be back for a pint. What nonsense.

Greenwich_Hibby
30-01-2018, 08:48 PM
Once an erse, always an erse - see ya.

Swedish hibee
30-01-2018, 08:50 PM
I can't believe what garbage I'm reading on here tonight. Good Luck Stokesy- prove them all wrong.💚

SRHibs
30-01-2018, 08:50 PM
Making up quotes now are we 😂😂 never once did he say he will only be back for a pint. What nonsense.

He was asked if he’d be back at Hibs and he said ”maybe for a pint”, or words to that effect. The obvious implication being that he wasn’t planning on coming back to play football.

SRHibs
30-01-2018, 08:51 PM
I can't believe what garbage I'm reading on here tonight. Good Luck Stokesy- prove them all wrong.💚

Why?

Prove us wrong? It’s a bit late for that is it not?

Squealing pig
30-01-2018, 08:52 PM
All the best stokes

Thecat23
30-01-2018, 08:52 PM

He did.

lapsedhibee
30-01-2018, 08:54 PM
He was asked if he’d be back at Hibs and he said ”maybe for a pint”, or words to that effect. The obvious implication being that he wasn’t planning on coming back to play football.

Exact words :agree:

Swedish hibee
30-01-2018, 08:54 PM
Why?

It’s a bit late for that is it not?

He's our top scorer this season. A bit late for what?

30-01-2018, 08:55 PM

Totally agree and said the exact same when I saw that interview. Seemed he thought he was far too big for us.

sleeping giant
30-01-2018, 08:55 PM

"We never gave up , we never gave in"

Billy Whizz
30-01-2018, 08:56 PM

How many were pens?
A sad day all round, but only one person is too blame!

hibsbollah
30-01-2018, 08:57 PM
He did.

Massively out of context. The interviewer was having banter with him about the nature of the post Cup Final celebrations and how much was drunk. He was then asked about coming back and he said something about coming back to Easter Road for some pints, obviously suggesting he had had a good time drinking on Easter Road, (the street, as opposed to the stadium, at least to my ears) and then he and the interviewer laughed. That's my recollection anyway, nothing disrespectful to Hibs about it.

SRHibs

Bearing in mind the majority were penalties that you would expect most forwards to convert, do you really think his performances were at the standard required? Maybe if he was a squad player, but he had had the red carpet rolled out for him, and was on a superb wage by our standards. Simply not good enough and I’m hoping we can get better value for that money elsewhere.

pacoluna

No it wasnt he said he'll "probably come back down for a pint" regarding ER after saying hibs will always have a place for him.

S4uzee
30-01-2018, 08:58 PM
Massively out of context. The interviewer was having banter with him about the nature of the post Cup Final celebrations and how much was drunk. He was then asked about coming back and he said something about coming back to Easter Road for some pints, obviously suggesting he had had a good time drinking on Easter Road, (the street, as opposed to the stadium, at least to my ears) and then he and the interviewer laughed. That's my recollection anyway, nothing disrespectful to Hibs about it.

Agreed. People will turn it round to suit an argument

madhatter
30-01-2018, 08:59 PM

More love for a player than the club and its fans? Prove us wrong? Stokes? He’s had a lifetime in football to prove people wrong...he hasn’t.

Players come and go. I love the club not the players. See ya Stokes.

Thecat23
30-01-2018, 09:02 PM

Sorry I wasn’t saying it wasn’t taken out of context. I was pointing out that he did say it.

Hibs90
30-01-2018, 09:04 PM
Apparently he has just facetimed someones kid after the dad posted on Twitter that his kid was devastated. Top marks there if true.

Alwsys be a legend to me.

calumhibee1
30-01-2018, 09:04 PM
Bearing in mind the majority were penalties that you would expect most forwards to convert, do you really think his performances were at the standard required? Maybe if he was a squad player, but he had had the red carpet rolled out for him, and was on a superb wage by our standards. Simply not good enough and I’m hoping we can get better value for that money elsewhere.

Messi has scored 3 out of 6 this season. The idea that people think Simon Murray could have banged in all 8 pens or whatever Stokes has this season is a bit far fetched. Scoring a pen is probably bigger than a normal goal - it counts the same as a normal goal, but it really deflates the team more than missing a one on one or something along those lines.

Is It On....
30-01-2018, 09:07 PM
***** state of affairs.

Ah well.

Who do you think Stokes is going to sign for? Celtic and Aberdeen don't need him and it's not exactly likely to be Hearts. Unless of course you are suggesting he lines up along side Cummings for Sevco 😂😂

hibsbollah
30-01-2018, 09:09 PM
Messi has scored 3 out of 6 this season. The idea that people think Simon Murray could have banged in all 8 pens or whatever Stokes has this season is a bit far fetched. Scoring a pen is probably bigger than a normal goal - it counts the same as a normal goal, but it really deflates the team more than missing a one on one or something along those lines.

A very good point and something that yanks my chain a lot. Penalties are goals, they need to be scored and its hard as **** to score a pen under pressure, which is why only a few players take them. Lacazette scored a load of pens for Lyon last season, i think it was ten last time i saw, Shearer scored a load of pens too, doesn't make you less of a great player.

guthrie01
30-01-2018, 09:10 PM
More love for a player than the club and its fans? Prove us wrong? Stokes? He’s had a lifetime in football to prove people wrong...he hasn’t.

You know it’s possible to love Stokes and Hibs right ?

Whether you like it or not Stokes has played many games for Hibs and put in some fabulous displays over the years he has been with us. Especially his MOTM against Rangers helping us win the Scottish Cup.

So his last few months have been poor in regards to attitude but he did put an effort into most of his games and scored his fair share of goals in getting us up to 4th this season as well

Anthony Stokes is a legend

sahpaton
30-01-2018, 09:10 PM
The interview in argument, Stokes is asked if he will be back (in a footballing context) to which Martin Boyle muttered “will he f***”” before Stokes said “maybe for a pint.” Was a little jokey comment a few days after he helped supply one of the best day of most of our lives, lighten up. I’m sure he had no idea at that time that he would end up back here. What’s happened since he came back is a different matter and while we are all surely feeling frustrated and let down, I can guarantee nobody feels so more than our manager. Thanks for the good times Stokesy but the timing of this is right. Here’s hoping we can replace his obvious quality in the final 3rd.

One Day Soon
30-01-2018, 09:11 PM
If he's gone he's gone. Let's close that chapter with dignity, not on a bitter note.

SRHibs
30-01-2018, 09:11 PM
A very good point and something that yanks my chain a lot. Penalties are goals, they need to be scored and its hard as **** to score a pen under pressure, which is why only a few players take them. Lacazette scored a load of pens for Lyon last season, i think it was ten last time i saw, Shearer scored a load of pens too, doesn't make you less of a great player.

It’s good that he scored them, however not at all an indicator of how well he performed in open play.

calumhibee1
30-01-2018, 09:12 PM

Whether you like it or not Stokes has played many games for Hibs and put in some fabulous displays over the years he has been with us. Especially his MOTM against Rangers helping us win the Scottish Cup.

So his last few months have been poor in regards to attitude but he did put an effort into most of his games and scored his fair share of goals in getting us up to 4th this season as well

:agree: His performance in the cup final will be hard for any player to top and I'd suggest that very few if any Hibs players have ever put in such an incredible individual performance in such a big game.

Forza Fred
30-01-2018, 09:15 PM
Tbh I don't really care. For his part on that day in May 2016 I will be forever grateful but he's not bigger than the club!

What I do care about is the club and those willing to pull on the jersey and play.

Time to move on and get right behind NL, the players and the club!

My thoughts exactly.

Players come, players go........in over 50 years of watching Hibs I’ve seen a few move on, and a few move in.

s.a.m
30-01-2018, 09:15 PM
Who do you think Stokes is going to sign for? Celtic and Aberdeen don't need him and it's not exactly likely to be Hearts. Unless of course you are suggesting he lines up along side Cummings for Sevco 😂😂

:tee hee:

we are hibs
30-01-2018, 09:16 PM

well he clearly has. Have a look at his medal collection if you think he's "not proven people wrong". Embarrassing stuff

hibees 7062
30-01-2018, 09:17 PM

https://youtu.be/jI80xt9LB50 2 minutes in

Billy Whizz
30-01-2018, 09:18 PM
BBC saying he’s left the building, must be fact now

SRHibs
30-01-2018, 09:18 PM
well he clearly has. Have a look at his medal collection if you think he's "not proven people wrong". Embarrassing stuff

That’s not a good argument. His medal collection would no doubt be better if he didn’t have such a terrible attitude. He has all the talent in the world but just can’t help being a total radge.

Swedish hibee
30-01-2018, 09:19 PM

C'mon you've still gotta score a pen. How many teams have lost games cos their players have missed a penalty? I don't care how we score- I'm not counting pens & non pens. A goal is a goal to me, and at this moment in time- he's our top scorer.

I am gutted how this has ended.

.Sean.
30-01-2018, 09:19 PM
This. Hibs were a paycheck for Hibs and nothing more, I've said that numerous times on here. Whatever issues he has with the club shouldn't come into it when supporters try and make contact.

Sauzee's not a legend in my eyes but Stokes is. Absolutely gutted it's ended as it has.

Tornadoes70
30-01-2018, 09:20 PM
If he's gone he's gone. Let's close that chapter with dignity, not on a bitter note.

I suspect his legacy in the years to come will forever be his Holy Grail winning heroics and this period would be a mere footnote.

Good luck and best wishes to you Stokesy!!!

Mon the Cabbage!!!

hibbydog
30-01-2018, 09:20 PM
This shows we have a strong manager who won’t take any ***** and it sends a clear message to the rest of our squad.

As for Stokes, although this was inevitable, I’m sorry to see him go.

He is largely responsible for the best result in our clubs history, the best individual performance ever from a hibs player and the best few days we’ve all had on the p!ss.

Utter legend.

One Day Soon
30-01-2018, 09:21 PM

Gutted watching that. The best of times.

And there's no way in hell he was being disrespectful there.

we are hibs
30-01-2018, 09:21 PM
That’s not a good argument. His medal collection would no doubt be better if he didn’t have such a terrible attitude. He has all the talent in the world but just can’t help being a total radge.

Im pretty sure he won't be crying himself to sleep tonight that he's only won so many Scottish cups, league cups and titles. It's not worked out this time around. Sometimes it doesn't. Doesn't change the fact he put in one of the finest individual displays ever seen in a hibs shirt when we truly needed it

hibbydog
30-01-2018, 09:22 PM
Im pretty sure he won't be crying himself to sleep tonight that he's only won so many Scottish cups, league cups and titles. It's not worked out this time around. Sometimes it doesn't. Doesn't change the fact he put in one of the finest individual displays ever seen in a hibs shirt when we truly needed it

THE finest individual display IMO

cmcd
30-01-2018, 09:22 PM
:agree: His performance in the cup final will be hard for any player to top and I'd suggest that very few if any Hibs players have ever put in such an incredible individual performance in such a big game.

Pat Stanton

Zazu62
30-01-2018, 09:23 PM
What a waster.

cleanyman
30-01-2018, 09:24 PM
Pat Stanton

Never won the big one though did he?

Stokes. Hero.

SRHibs

Guess so, but he could’ve been so much more with the right attitude. I might come across as negative towards him in this thread, however it’s just extremely disappointing and frustrating. Goes without saying that, regardless of him being a bit radge, he’ll always be an absolute legend for his final performance!

Sammy7nil

I think he did say that.

hibbysam
30-01-2018, 09:26 PM
Stokes will forever be a hero of mine, in fact THE hero when it comes to Hibs players. The single greatest performance I’ve ever seen, and possibly that there ever has been for us.

Couldn’t really care less what’s went on, it’s irrelevant to how I feel about the guy.

mca

Half my weegie mates have him signed up !!!

Watch it from 1 minute.. :wink:

madhatter

Saddens me to see people salivate over a player like Stokes, let's be honest he is a bit of a waster, like Riordan and O'Connor. 3 of them had endless talent but they have gone about wasting it.

We've had far better in the past, true legends who would do anything for Hibs. These players would stay back after training to improve themselves, then at the latter end of their career stay back to help a few of the younger players.

People need to get over this. I've seen people claiming Hibs are disgraceful and Stokes has been dealt with in a shocking manner. Worries me how people can side with a notoriously badly behaved individual over the club they've loved for years. Incidentally Leeann will be involved with Stokes' exit? Who do you love more? Its Leeann for me - she had more to do with us winning the cup than anyone else.

To answer your question, Stokes was likely given a bumper contract at Hibs in order to return. A return he delayed either to avoid a preseason, or in the hope of another club coming in, or to get more money from Hibs. He then proceeds to play mediocre in virtually every game. Let's be honest Cup Final is his only stand out performance. How many man of the matches has he won? He is then involved in many off field incidents and has had run in with Lennon and rumours of teammates being unhappy with him...

Love the player I've described above? Nah, I can understand kids having an affection for him. I can also understand those that have suffered 40-50+ years waiting for the cup having an affinity with him. Love? No. I still maintain I love the club. If you need to love anybody at the club, make it Leeann at the moment.

jacomo
30-01-2018, 09:27 PM
This. Hibs were a paycheck for Hibs and nothing more, I've said that numerous times on here. Whatever issues he has with the club shouldn't come into it when supporters try and make contact.

Sauzee's not a legend in my eyes but Stokes is. Absolutely gutted it's ended as it has.

Not sure who you are talking about here, but Sauzee was an absolute legend.

You just had to watch him play to know what he brought to the side.

Cabbage7062
30-01-2018, 09:29 PM
Legend

blackpoolhibs
30-01-2018, 09:30 PM

Stokes. Hero.

He did.

hibbysam
30-01-2018, 09:31 PM
Saddens me to see people salivate over a player like Stokes, let's be honest he is a bit of a waster, like Riordan and O'Connor. 3 of them had endless talent but they have gone about wasting it.

We've had far better in the past, true legends who would do anything for Hibs. These players would stay back after training to improve themselves, then at the latter end of their career stay back to help a few of the younger players.

People need to get over this. I've seen people claiming Hibs are disgraceful and Stokes has been dealt with in a shocking manner. Worries me how people can side with a notoriously badly behaved individual over the club they've loved for years. Incidentally Leeann will be involved with Stokes' exit? Who do you love more? Its Leeann for me - she had more to do with us winning the cup than anyone else.

To answer your question, Stokes was likely given a bumper contract at Hibs in order to return. A return he delayed either to avoid a preseason, or in the hope of another club coming in, or to get more money from Hibs. He then proceeds to play mediocre in virtually every game. Let's be honest Cup Final is his only stand out performance. How many man of the matches has he won? He is then involved in many off field incidents and has had run in with Lennon and rumours of teammates being unhappy with him...

Love the player I've described above? Nah, I can understand kids having an affection for him. I can also understand those that have suffered 40-50+ years waiting for the cup having an affinity with him. Love? No. I still maintain I love the club. If you need to love anybody at the club, make it Leeann at the moment.

If you think the cup final was stokes’ only standout performance the. I’m afraid you either don’t watch Hibs, know **** all about football, or really don’t like Stokes.

To say the boy that won us the Scottish cup isn’t a legend is absurd.

Oh and I forgot Leeann skinned 4 Hun defenders and smashed 2 in the top corner in the final. Mental.

McHibby
30-01-2018, 09:32 PM
I'm I the only one that still doesn't know?

Me neither! Although living in England, I get about as much info on the goings-on in Scottish football as I do about the crazy golf at Butlins. Still, Hibs must've had their reasons.. you don't let an asset walk out the door for nothing if everything is hunky dory.

weecounty hibby
I will always remember the Stokes of the Scottish cup win. But I will also remember the Stokes of dragging out the resigning, in my opinion waiting for a better offer. The Stokes who now has to leave the club due to poor discipline. The Stokes who didn't look too interested in some games this season. I feel really sad that someone with so much talent who could have been a legend not just for one game but for a long term contribution to Hibs has ****ed up so badly that he is leaving.
Thanks for the cup win Anthony and I hope you sort yourself out

madhatter

Absolutely 100%. Fans seriously saying Sauzee isn't a Legend but Stokes is? That is mental...

18Hibee75
30-01-2018, 09:33 PM
Genuinely gutted about this. Hoped he could really show us his class at Hibs. Don't forget the boy is a hibs legend and gave us all one of the best days of our lives. He had minor blips of bampottery, but will always be adored by me. Wish him the best with the short time he has left of his career. Sad, sad way to end.

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

Sammy7nil
30-01-2018, 09:33 PM
Stokes will forever be a hero of mine, in fact THE hero when it comes to Hibs players. The single greatest performance I’ve ever seen, and possibly that there ever has been for us.

Couldn’t really care less what’s went on, it’s irrelevant to how I feel about the guy.

Sorry but that is nonsense do you really care more for Stokes than Hibs so much so he can do anything and everything's to disrespect the club and it would all be irrelevant ? Really?

cleanyman
30-01-2018, 09:34 PM
He did.

Not with the Hibees of course

Stanton isn't fit to lace Sir Stokes boots

cleanyman
30-01-2018, 09:35 PM
Absolutely 100%. Fans seriously saying Sauzee isn't a Legend but Stokes is? That is mental...

Sauzee won hee haw and got sacked after a few weeks

A cult hero but not a legend

pacoluna
30-01-2018, 09:35 PM
The famous 5, Stanton, Sauzee, griffiths.

All come behind stokes in the list of all time greats. This is the man who scored two goals in the Scottish cup final! Hero.

FranckSuzy
30-01-2018, 09:36 PM

If they were unblemished, perfect characters/players, do you honestly think we'd have seen them play for Hibs? I'd love to see "a waster" like all of three of them as they have had a part in some very special moments, and goals, whilst playing in the famous green and white of Hibs.

For one "waster" to have also scored two goals in a Scottish Cup final -which we actually went on the win - well, he'll have nothing but good wishes and thanks from me.

MrRobot
Sad to see him leave but I guess it’s for the best.

Thanks for all the memories and that day especially. A cup winning hero.

blackpoolhibs

My arse, Stanton is head and shoulders above him, without a Scottish cup win for Hibs. :rolleyes:

Nakedmanoncrack

:rotflmao::rotflmao:

hibbysam
Sorry but that is nonsense do you really care more for Stokes than Hibs so much so he can do anything and everything's to disrespect the club and it would all be irrelevant ? Really?

So we now have to hate the guy because he’s been a bad boy and been binned? If so do we need to hate Latapy, Riordan, GOC, Griffiths etc? No. The boy won us the cup, not only in the cup final but all the way to the final as well. My feelings will be the same now regardless of what he’s done/doing. He gave me the greatest weekend of my life.

One Day Soon

What the actual? I've never read such utter ar5e in my life.

pacoluna
My arse, Stanton is head and shoulders above him, without a Scottish cup win for Hibs. :rolleyes:

Aye for anyone over 50😂😂

Tornadoes70
30-01-2018, 09:37 PM

:singing: Sauzee there's only one Sauzee.

Legend!!!

Mon the Cabbage!!!

One Day Soon
Aye for anyone over 50😂😂

Should be for anyone full stop.

guthrie01

Utter nonsense, your just making stuff up.

snooky
30-01-2018, 09:38 PM

Best post on this thread :aok:

Dinkydoo
Personally i don't feel anything for this man now, even after the cup final.Aye, Stokes' a fanny. I don't appreciate the way he's treated Hibs at all since last summer. Looks like we should have been giving him the firm contract deadline and not Fyvie, but, a lesson learned for Lennon hopefully.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

SRHibs

All come behind stokes in the list of all time greats. This is the man who scored two goals in the Scottish cup final! Hero.

For one, it’s subjective. Also, the Famous Five won 2(3?) league titles. I would take winning the league over the cup, although in this era that’s just a pipe dream. The fact that one of our stands is named after them tells you enough.

pacoluna
30-01-2018, 09:39 PM
Should be for anyone full stop.

Don't know enough about him I just hear stories. I know for a fact though that I was alive when stokes scored two goals in the Scottish cup final to win it. Stanton never.

madhatter
If you think the cup final was stokes’ only standout performance the. I’m afraid you either don’t watch Hibs, know **** all about football, or really don’t like Stokes.

To say the boy that won us the Scottish cup isn’t a legend is absurd.

Oh and I forgot Leeann skinned 4 Hun defenders and smashed 2 in the top corner in the final. Mental.

Going personal. Nice touch.

Name another stand out performance. McGeouch and McGinn have had plenty more. Even Hanlon has had more.

He contributed to us winning but last time I checked it was a team game? Logan saved us in the semi when we were garbage. Fyvie had a good game in the final and drove us forward quite a bit towards the end. Oh and Henderson delivered. Gray headed into the net.

Stokes scored 2 but let's not say he won us the cup and forget the rest of the players please...

Leeann recruited Stubbs. Leeann and the recruitment team she put together were involved in Stokes arrival that season. She didn't skin any defenders but recruited the people responsible for winning the cup.

Mental indeed.

blackpoolhibs
Aye for anyone over 50😂😂

I can't help it if i saw real quality that you young uns have never seen. :na na:

weecounty hibby

Wow, just wow. Famous 5,three league championships. Two of them managed the club, one of them winning trophies. Stanton, league cup, part of one of the great Hibs teams, have years of service, managed the club. Sauzee and Griffiths I'll give you but FFS get real

A lot of sanctimonious pish in this thread.

wookie70
This shows we have a strong manager who won’t take any ***** and it sends a clear message to the rest of our squad.

As for Stokes, although this was inevitable, I’m sorry to see him go.

He is largely responsible for the best result in our clubs history, the best individual performance ever from a hibs player and the best few days we’ve all had on the p!ss.

Utter legend.

Not sure how signing a player with a terrible disciplinary record and then failing to manage him to the point of him having to be mutually consented qualifies Lennon as a strong manager. Not sure what message all the rumoured late starts and misdemeanours, poor performances and being dropped for disciplinary measures sends to the squad but I'm glad its over. he was a risk I didn't want us to take based on the whole of his last spell with us and it has been a very poor signing which reflects badly on Lennon but mostly on Stokes. No-one will forget Stoke's contribution to our Cup Win and we will all be grateful that his odd game winning performance happened to come on that day.

Hopefully, we never had to pay to get rid on him and we look a wee bit more carefully at future marquee signings.

Sammy7nil
30-01-2018, 09:40 PM

I tend to agree, a good player with one truly outstanding game. But there have been better servants to Hibs that unfortunately despite possibly deserving to never won the big one. But to suggest in anyway he should elevated above some true greats is nonsense.

HoboHarry
30-01-2018, 09:40 PM

:faf::faf: Sit doon before you hurt yourself ya daftie :faf::faf:

jacomo
30-01-2018, 09:41 PM
Sauzee won hee haw and got sacked after a few weeks

A cult hero but not a legend

Stop it you’re embarrassing yourself.

guthrie01

Name another stand out performance. McGeouch and McGinn have had plenty more. Even Hanlon has had more.

He contributed to us winning but last time I checked it was a team game? Logan saved us in the semi when we were garbage. Fyvie had a good game in the final and drove us forward quite a bit towards the end. Oh and Henderson delivered. Gray headed into the net.

Stokes scored 2 but let's not say he won us the cup and forget the rest of the players please...

Leeann recruited Stubbs. Leeann and the recruitment team she put together were involved in Stokes arrival that season. She didn't skin any defenders but recruited the people responsible for winning the cup.

Mental indeed.

You forgetting the Inverness game where he scored 2 ?

cleanyman
Can he no just sorry?

Get him in the team tomorrow

madhatter
30-01-2018, 09:42 PM
Utter nonsense, your just making stuff up.

Making up what exactly? You have your opinion then call mine utter nonsense. Forums are hilarious - what makes it nonsense? Because you don't like it or...? Give counter argument might have been nice.

cmcd
30-01-2018, 09:42 PM

Stokes. Hero.

Stokes is called a Legend for one game .Pat Stanton was a Legend for competing and playing wonderful football for many years .And he did win the big cup just not with Hibs

pacoluna
30-01-2018, 09:43 PM
Wow, just wow. Famous 5,three league championships. Two of them managed the club, one of them winning trophies. Stanton, league cup, part of one of the great Hibs teams, have years of service, managed the club. Sauzee and Griffiths I'll give you but FFS get real
I wasn't born, maybe nostalgia please a part in your method of thinking. I hear the stories but it has no real significance to me. My children my grandchildren will be told the fairytale of stokes double in the Scottish cup final after 114 years before any mention of Stanton or the famous 5 until the next hero comes along.

SRHibs
30-01-2018, 09:45 PM
I wasn't born, maybe nostalgia please a part in your method of thinking. I hear the stories but it has no real significance to me. My children my grandchildren will be told the fairy tail is stokes double in the Scottish cup before any mention of Stanton or the famous 5 until.the next hero comes along.

And maybe recency bias plays a huge part in your method of thinking. I wasn’t born either, but if you know your history, the F5/Stanton will be legends, nostalgia or not.

The fact that we still talk about them so often in 2018 proves their status in itself.

Swedish hibee
30-01-2018, 09:46 PM

A waster????

Sammy7nil
So we now have to hate the guy because he’s been a bad boy and been binned? If so do we need to hate Latapy, Riordan, GOC, Griffiths etc? No. The boy won us the cup, not only in the cup final but all the way to the final as well. My feelings will be the same now regardless of what he’s done/doing. He gave me the greatest weekend of my life.

Well said :greengrin but I still totally disagree with you. P.S. read my post again I said nowt about hating anyone all I said was I can't believe you would support stokes above Hibs each to their own though.

madhatter
You forgetting the Inverness game where he scored 2 ?

Wow is that 2 games? I think its healthy for the club if this gets processed quickly.

People suggesting he is a bigger legend than Stanton and Sauzee must be having a laugh...blinded because of importance of the cup final or something. Other players played in that final, didn't see people crying this much over Fyvie leaving.

One Day Soon

Eh, not to mention Pat in the 7-0 team.

weecounty hibby
30-01-2018, 09:47 PM
I wasn't born, maybe nostalgia please a part in your method of thinking. I hear the stories but it has no real significance to me. My children my grandchildren will be told the fairy tail is stokes double in the Scottish cup before any mention of Stanton or the famous 5 until.the next hero comes along.
So by that logic they will tell you to stop talking pish as they hadn't ever seen him playing. Is he any more of a legend than Lewis Stevenson who has won a Scottish and league cup with Hibs. Something no other player has done. Legends are legends due to facts not just because you saw them play. I never saw Pele play either but he is a football legend or can I not say that as I never actually saw him?

pacoluna
30-01-2018, 09:48 PM
And maybe recency bias plays a huge part in your method of thinking. I wasn’t born either, but if you know your history, the F5/Stanton will be legends, nostalgia or not.

The fact that we still talk about them so often in 2018 proves their status in itself.
And we will be talking about stokes in 60 years his picture of him running away after the first celebrating will be iconic.

Eaststandee
Some of the guff on this thread is unreal

DavidDavidGray

Well he did. It’s not a made up quote. It’s on YouTube in an interview somewhere

snooky
Aye for anyone over 50😂😂

With age comes wisdom :wink:

30-01-2018, 09:49 PM
F5/Stanton/Stokes/Lewis/SDG all legends it’s not that difficult to comprehend

blackpoolhibs
And we will be talking about stokes in 60 years his picture of him running away after the first celebrating will be iconic.

Dont be daft, we will have won it numerous times in the next 60 years.

hibbysam

Mental indeed.

‘Personal’ 😂 I’m guessing you didn’t bother with the trek on the Wednesday after losing the league cup final to watch a Stokes masterclass single handedly drag us over the line. Stokes was far and away the best player on the pitch in the final, let’s not make up stories to the contrary, he could’ve scored 5 that day easily.

You clearly have issues with the guy, your choice but let’s not make **** up about his time with us.

madhatter
A waster????

The talent he has. Yes. You can't say that he is a wonderful player and not justify why he is at Hibs. He ended back at Hibs due to not making most of his career.

Can't have best of both worlds. He is either just a decent player that has found his level - Hibs - or he is a wonderful player that has wasted his potential and ended up at Hibs. Hibs aren't the pinnacle of the footballing world so...

pacoluna
30-01-2018, 09:50 PM
Dont be daft, we will have won it numerous times in the next 60 years.

Nothing will come to close to 2016 though, not a chance.

Tornadoes70
30-01-2018, 09:51 PM

Twice I've felt the need to hurry down to Easter Road to make my feelings known, once when the Mercer story broke and the other when Big Franck was sacked, he meant that much, a real legend.

Love the big man!!!

Mon the Cabbage!!!