PDA

View Full Version : One for the "oldies"

HeidTheBaw
30-01-2018, 05:58 PM
Memories of the top terracing? My whole family and extended family used to meet there, and stand in the middle where we could see the team emerge...stays with me till this day. bought seasons for my oldest and me on the east right under the tv gantry so we could see the team emerging. So much pride in it.

Hi Heid Yin
30-01-2018, 06:22 PM
Ah, the old and vast East terrace.
I too stood there with my dad and uncles on many a freezing Saturday afternoon - usually in the north east corner, close to the exit stairs.
It's amazing how being packed together like Penguins helped generate that wee bit of warmth.
Being so young I was denied a swig from the dubious wee metal bottle one or two of my uncles carried.
Though, there was an occasion when one kind uncle brought a flask of hot tomato soup - just what the doctor ordered.
Wonderful memories.

The Pointer
30-01-2018, 07:10 PM
I generally stood with my mates near the front in line with the 'bottom' penalty box beside a gangway.

The only time I definitely remember standing on the top tier of the East was the Leeds United game as I couldn't get to ER in time to get to my usual spot. It was soooo exposed up there! Was a bit safer standing there on Old Firm days right enough.

Famous Fiver
30-01-2018, 07:20 PM
Two thirds of the way up was for the real football nuts.

Could see the moves unfolding before the players could!!

Standing further down meant you were disturbed at half time by the fans swop of ends.

Bracing is the euphimistic word that most comes to mind for the conditions. Now describes as Baltic.

malcky
30-01-2018, 07:25 PM
Two thirds of the way up was for the real football nuts.

Could see the moves unfolding before the players could!!

Standing further down meant you were disturbed at half time by the fans swop of ends.

Bracing is the euphimistic word that most comes to mind for the conditions. Now describes as Baltic.

Sitting on the wall at the half way line with my dad,uncle and Grandad happy days

heretoday
30-01-2018, 07:28 PM
It could be quite bleak up there so it's just as well there was plenty of booze about, either the half-bottle or the four-pack smuggled in. I remember once turning to see a man in a raincoat curled up asleep on the terrace. He was alive but very tired.

You got a superb view of the Forth and surroundings from up there. And the pitch too.

WoreTheGreen
30-01-2018, 07:29 PM
Sitting on the wall at the half way line with my dad,uncle and Grandad happy days

Got my picture in “shoot” and a wee ginger guy sitting next to me on the wall was. ?

bigwheel
30-01-2018, 07:29 PM
That walk up the steps heading up to the top of the terracing felt like a magic carpet ride as a kid..those night games with the floodlights on and the smell of liniment in the air....then you reach the top to see the team warming up, what football dreams were made of...loved it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gringojoe
30-01-2018, 07:36 PM
Right up the top under the tv cameras, when they were there, to do an "Argentina"

ShadesLongThrow
30-01-2018, 07:39 PM
Remember wanting one of the miners helmets with the players names painted on them that hard core supporters wore at the time. Very cool to an impressionable 10 year old.

MSK
30-01-2018, 07:41 PM
Under the gantry from 1979 ish until the FF was built ish

HeidTheBaw
30-01-2018, 07:46 PM
Under the gantry from 1979 ish until the FF was built ish

Part of that gantry released itself and landed on my big toe... it bloody well disfigured it for life. the toe that is, not the gantry

Tornadoes70
30-01-2018, 07:47 PM
Our Dad took us to the North Stand for every game. The only time iirc we were taken across to Shaw's Height's was iirc a game involving the two Norwegians Isak Refvik and Svien Mathisen which again iirc it may have been the match against IFK Norrkoping in 78/79. I was only around 8 year old so I may be wrong but its to the best of my memory. It was like being among the Gods up there.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

:flag:

MSK
30-01-2018, 07:52 PM
Part of that gantry released itself and landed on my big toe... it bloody well disfigured it for life. the toe that is, not the gantryOuch !! I almost lost my nads whilst climbing the gantry to tie a flag to it 😖

Sammy7nil
30-01-2018, 07:56 PM
Got my picture in “shoot” and a wee ginger guy sitting next to me on the wall was. ?

Prince Harry or Gordon Strachan :wink:

HeidTheBaw
30-01-2018, 07:57 PM
Ouch !! I almost lost my nads whilst climbing the gantry to tie a flag to it 😖

I kinda feel blessed now...could have been worse then I guess ;)......some bammers in there back in the day, I even chased my big Bro' of the terracing for constantly abusing Michael O'Neill.... too his credit O'Neill gave him a mouthful back while over the east side taking a throw in.

WoreTheGreen
30-01-2018, 08:10 PM
Prince Harry or Gordon Strachan :wink:

Gs cheers

Victor
30-01-2018, 08:36 PM
Going to see the monkey in Dofos pet shop before the match. Lifted over at the turnstile. Always stood on the East Terracing, in the middle so we didn’t have to change ends at half-time and half way up, so I didn’t get hit with anything thrown from above. This was an occasional hazard as there was no restriction on cans and bottles being brought in, most obvious after the New Year’s Day matches when the terraces were awash with empty beer cans and bottles. My Dad always stayed until the terraces were cleared before we left, with good reason as I remember we once left with everyone else and I was picked up heading down the stairs and carried down with the crowd. Also remember the crush over the Bothwell Street Bridge and up to the top of Easter Road after the match. Happy days!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One Day
30-01-2018, 09:21 PM
[. Also remember the crush over the Bothwell Street Bridge

I remember going over that bridge after leeds game in 1967 and my feet never touched the ground

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

King Cosell
30-01-2018, 09:23 PM
Oldies? I remember the top terracing and I'M IN MY PRIME!

Peevemor
30-01-2018, 09:25 PM
[. Also remember the crush over the Bothwell Street Bridge

I remember going over that bridge after leeds game in 1967 and my feet never touched the ground

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]My big brother had his collar broken in a crush on the bridge after a Hibs Celtic game in the early 70s. My Dad then refused to take me to ER until I was "big" so at 12 years old I was a relatively late starter.

Hillsidehibby
30-01-2018, 09:27 PM
I always mind as a lad the terracing littered with rusty beer tin openers. This was back in the dark ages before ring pulls!

Itsnoteasy
30-01-2018, 09:27 PM
When was the upper tier removed/fans no longer able to stand there.

Peevemor
30-01-2018, 09:38 PM
1983ish. The terracing was reduced by Kenny Waugh in order to put the roof on.

Cracking times standing in the old, covered East (or just "the terracing" as it was known)

One Day
30-01-2018, 09:39 PM
My big brother had his collar broken in a crush on the bridge after a Hibs Celtic game in the early 70s. My Dad then refused to take me to ER until I was "big" so at 12 years old I was a relatively late starter.[/QUOTE]

Was a scary experience

surreyhibbie
30-01-2018, 10:03 PM
First game I ever attended was a friendly against Newcastle United. Stood at the top of the terrace and was amazed at the size of the place, and the crowd.

Fell in love with the team immediately.

Later when I was a bit older I stood further down, at the north east corner in line with the penalty spot about two thirds of the way up.

Have plenty of memories of incidents and goals from there.

Happy days.

heretoday
30-01-2018, 10:04 PM
Green Pally Ally tins.......all the half-times and racing results...........

SideBurns
30-01-2018, 10:08 PM
First ever Hibs game in 1978, my dad took me to the terracing - to a 7 year old, it felt like I'd conquered Everest. Hibs ran out in that magic yellow & green Bukta strip, Tony Higgins scored a wonder goal to beat St.Mirren 1-0. Still sends a shiver down my spine when I think about that day.

The Harp
30-01-2018, 11:21 PM
My first vantage point as a kid in the early/mid 50s at ER was the upper section of the East terracing. It afforded a tremendous view. Fond memories of some big games up there, particularly the defeat of Barcelona - what a night!
Can remember when the massive flight of stairs were built giving direct access to the very top of the terracing, not sure which year that would've been.

Sammy7nil
30-01-2018, 11:25 PM
I recall no segregation, lots of scuffles and some real fighting with bottles thrown. Happy days :wink:

.Sean.
30-01-2018, 11:35 PM
Is there a picture of the stadium from the top of the old terracing? It's unreal how little good quality pictures of the old stadium in the 50s/60s/70s there are online, and trust me I've trawled the internet numerous times!

Roxyhibee
31-01-2018, 08:37 AM
After what seemed like an eternity climbing the stairway to heaven, me and my dad used to get in early to games in the 60's to get right at the front bars of the high terracing so I could have a clear view as a small boy. There was a piece of protective wall rising up from the catering bit below we used to stand against for a bit shelter as it was windy up there. Magic.

cocteautwin
31-01-2018, 09:55 AM
Me and my pals were too young to go to matches officially by ourselves and having no money we used to just get the bus up without telling our parents and try and get there about 20 minutes before the end so we could get in for free when the gates opened near the end. I remember climbing up to the top of the terrace during a mid week match once to see extra time in the cup game against Meadowbank Thistle and us getting beat. Wasted journey.

rossevenil
31-01-2018, 10:22 AM
Can still see the image in my head when as a 10 year old I reached the top of the stairs (after having to stop half way up while the adults all stopped for p)and looked down on
a floodlit pitch....was an amazing sight looking down from so high up.

lapsedhibee
31-01-2018, 10:27 AM
My big brother had his collar broken in a crush on the bridge after a Hibs Celtic game in the early 70s. My Dad then refused to take me to ER until I was "big" so at 12 years old I was a relatively late starter.

No offence, but your dad sounds a bit precious about clothing.

Peevemor
31-01-2018, 10:41 AM

:hilarious Aye, his favourite away game was Raith Rovers - Starch Park!

lapsedhibee
31-01-2018, 10:47 AM
:hilarious Aye, his favourite away game was Raith Rovers - Starch Park!

:greengrin

CropleyWasGod
31-01-2018, 11:02 AM

No offence?

You have some neck.

lapsedhibee
31-01-2018, 11:07 AM
No offence?

You have some neck.

Ken but Peevemor's in Franceland so no chance of him coming round and cuffing me.

Peevemor
31-01-2018, 11:09 AM
Ken but Peevemor's in Franceland so no chance of him coming round and cuffing me.

Button (down) yer lip!

hibby6270
31-01-2018, 03:29 PM
When I was a laddie, used to stand at the end of gangway 5 at the front barrier at Albion Road end. It was above the path that ran from the Dunbar end to Albion Road. It was more or less in line with the 18 yard line.

banarc7062
31-01-2018, 06:02 PM
Memories of the top terracing? My whole family and extended family used to meet there, and stand in the middle where we could see the team emerge...stays with me till this day. bought seasons for my oldest and me on the east right under the tv gantry so we could see the team emerging. So much pride in it.

I must have been one of the fans very near you in those days. Great memories and the pitch slope served us well at time. GGTTH

merseyhibs
31-01-2018, 06:25 PM
Used to stand in the Dunbar End until we were about 9 then got brave enough to go to main terrace and top under tv scaffold. Remember watching Juventus on a European night from the top Very special memories from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Pointer
31-01-2018, 08:17 PM
I remember a Rangers fan on the main terracing opening his coat to reveal (now, now) several sown-in pockets, each of which contained a bottle of spirits or can of beer.

delbert
31-01-2018, 09:14 PM
After what seemed like an eternity climbing the stairway to heaven, me and my dad used to get in early to games in the 60's to get right at the front bars of the high terracing so I could have a clear view as a small boy. There was a piece of protective wall rising up from the catering bit below we used to stand against for a bit shelter as it was windy up there. Magic.

September 13th 1969, friendly against Gornik, Erich Schaedler made his debut that night, we lost 2-1, Peter Cormack scored but as an eight year old laddie, I came over the top of the terracing with my Dad, saw the place in the floodlights, and I was hooked! Thanks so much Dad !

houstonhibbee
01-02-2018, 05:24 AM
September 13th 1969, friendly against Gornik, Erich Schaedler made his debut that night, we lost 2-1, Peter Cormack scored but as an eight year old laddie, I came over the top of the terracing with my Dad, saw the place in the floodlights, and I was hooked! Thanks so much Dad !
i was 11 and in the North Stand that night. Did Gornik not beat rangers 3-1 at Ibrox in a european cwc match shortly after?

houstonhibbee
01-02-2018, 05:30 AM

Looks like it was Dec 8,1970.....

Joe Baker2
01-02-2018, 04:20 PM
some great views of the old stadium in this film clip. Hope the link works...

http://movingimage.nls.uk/film/8528?search_term=easter%20road&search_join_type=AND&search_fuzzy=yes

Iggy Pope
01-02-2018, 04:33 PM
Used to stand in the Dunbar End until we were about 9 then got brave enough to go to main terrace and top under tv scaffold. Remember watching Juventus on a European night from the top Very special memories from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was splendid being able to hurl abuse at Archie McPherson in the knowledge he could see you and hear it.

Iggy Pope
01-02-2018, 04:43 PM
The staircases up were massive. I think the Ladies bogs were right at the gates so it must have been a stretch for any Hibby girls at half time. On nice days before kick off folk would sit about on the grass verges all the way up. At the top, looking down the players looked miniscule. It was magical and I always associate it with great Hibs sides . But by the way, when we were *****, it was a ***** place to stand and watch football! And I could see the top quarter of it standing on my kitchen bunker.

WoreTheGreen
01-02-2018, 07:40 PM
Wee bit off topic was in the Hibs club last night and a wee guy in front off me in the queue was almost refused a drink because he wasn’t a member. Am a ex player he explained “ill see you get served micky” not barmaids fault or no big drama .any guesses the player

Green_one
01-02-2018, 07:50 PM
Weir cannot believe it was a Edwards

WoreTheGreen
01-02-2018, 07:52 PM
Weir cannot believe it was a Edwards

Yes the best passer of a ball in the TT’s

Green_one
01-02-2018, 08:47 PM

Wow would probably not recognise him. Unlike Cropley who I knew instantly

Lago
01-02-2018, 08:49 PM
Absolutely loved the guy, as you say best passer of a ball. Deliver a free kick on a sixpence.

WoreTheGreen
01-02-2018, 09:11 PM
Wow would probably not recognise him. Unlike Cropley who I knew instantly

I think you would not changed much but older like some old farts