PDA

View Full Version : James McPake

GoalsMcGinley
30-01-2018, 02:05 PM
Announced his retirement this afternoon due to injury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elephant Stone
30-01-2018, 02:11 PM
Good guy, wish him luck in whatever he does next.

CallumLaidlaw
30-01-2018, 02:18 PM
Got coaching role with Dundee by the looks of things.

All the best to him. Was a huge player for us when he first came in. Ruined by back problems but probably could've played a part in keeping us up if Butcher had given him some game time.

jacomo
30-01-2018, 02:43 PM
Good luck with the next chapter, James.

CMurdoch
30-01-2018, 02:45 PM
His last injury at Dundee was horrific.

Famous Fiver
30-01-2018, 03:03 PM
I honestly thought his cup final goal had brought us right back into it before Mr Thomson so crucially intervened.

allmodcons
30-01-2018, 03:08 PM
Real shame, not the most gifted but a great attitude.

Bit of cliché I know, but can you imagine how good Stokes would be with same attitude as James McPake.

Best of luck James.

Jones28
30-01-2018, 03:20 PM
A great leader and was a shining light at a really **** time for Hibs

G B Young
30-01-2018, 03:21 PM
Real shame, not the most gifted but a great attitude.

Bit of cliché I know, but can you imagine how good Stokes would be with same attitude as James McPake.

Best of luck James.

You're spot on there.

I liked McPake a lot. His heart on the sleeve approach may have seen him dive in for tackles he had no real chance of making, but his arrival on loan was a big factor in keeping us in the top flight that season and he was one of the players I felt for after the 2012 cup final. I recall him being a good influence on Leigh Griffiths too.

Best of luck to him.

Golden Bear
30-01-2018, 03:23 PM
All the best for the future big fellah.

If you put as much in as a coach as you did as a player then you'll be a good one.

IGRIGI
30-01-2018, 03:33 PM
A bright star attitude wise in a team where the majority didn't give a f.

After years of players crapping it at the thought of playing Hearts it was fantastic to have a player again who got what the derby meant.

Good luck James!

lyonhibs
30-01-2018, 03:50 PM
Not a very good defender in reality (a player's no use if they are on their arse half the time doing gung ho mega sliding tackles) but loved his commitment and attitude.

Radium
30-01-2018, 04:10 PM
Remember watching him in an U20s match at East Mains when he was unable to shift McGovern or Nelson. Talked the youngsters through the game and dealt with everything thrown at him.

Also remember the headless chicken start to the Malmo game.

Really liked his attitude and wish him well.

lucky
30-01-2018, 04:15 PM
He was outstanding on loan for us but injuries caught up with him when he signed full time. But he battled back at Dundee then got injured again. Hopefully he will have a good career in coaching

O'Rourke3
30-01-2018, 04:39 PM
All the best James. Leader on the pitch if a little too enthusiastic but a cruel run of injuries.

lord bunberry
30-01-2018, 06:13 PM
He was immense in that semi final against Aberdeen. The guy was a real winner that was playing alongside some absolute imposters. I wish him well in his coaching career.

calumhibee1
30-01-2018, 06:18 PM
Great attitude, average ability. All the best James.

heretoday
30-01-2018, 06:22 PM
One of the few shining lights from the dark ages.

-Jonesy-
30-01-2018, 06:23 PM
Always remember the time at when he was playing for us at tynie he went in for a 50/50 with bad tattoo sporting prisonfaced ryan Stevenson who essentially jumped and WWE drop kicked James in the shin with both sets of studs.

McPake spun 360 on the ground and jumped straight back up, Stevenson was only booked for what was an utterly atrocious challenge. I read later that McPake thought he'd fractured his shin but only bounced back up cos it was right in front of the hertz fans and didn't want to show any weakness. He had some heart out on the pitch for sure.

ValleyHibee
30-01-2018, 06:31 PM
A bit gung ho but never gave less than 100%,all the best for the future

RedHibby
30-01-2018, 06:41 PM
Good luck with whatever you choose to do next James.

NAE NOOKIE
30-01-2018, 06:47 PM
Good luck to him, just about the only player from that cup final I was able to forgive. As has been said, a limited player but the heart of a Lion :aok:

Stevie Reid
30-01-2018, 06:52 PM
Was the exactly the type of character that we needed when we first got him on loan, a leader who was full of character.

I think he was the first decent CH partner that Paul Hanlon had.

TelaStella
30-01-2018, 07:20 PM
All the best to him and he's always welcome back to ER as far as I'm concerned. Came in to a leader when there wasn't much to really lead and his enthusiasm and grit always really struck me. Gave a lot more than others who have came and gone with us[emoji1303].

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
30-01-2018, 07:22 PM
All the best to McPake.

He almost single-handedly dragged us away from relegation that year- he made an enormous impact and contribution in his short Hibs career and had an attitude you couldnt help but love.

One Day
30-01-2018, 08:03 PM
Good luck with whatever you choose to do next James.

this

Stantons Angel
30-01-2018, 08:38 PM
Just want to wish him all the best a great player at a bad period in Hibs history.

His display against Aberdeen in the semi final of the cup he showed the strength and determination every Hibs player should have.

Good luck for the future James.

givescotlandfreedom
30-01-2018, 09:02 PM
McPake was a proper leader and Hibs captain. Sad he didn't seem to recover from his injuries.

Cabbage East
30-01-2018, 09:15 PM
Gave everything for us. My kind of player.

McD
30-01-2018, 10:37 PM
We’ve had many players at Hibs in my lifetime, some highly skilled, some donkeys, some 100% triers, some lazy gits.

James McPake was not the most skilful of players, but he had huge heart, led by example, took on the captaincy with pride and respect, and gave everything he had (even to his detriment as I think he tried to do too much whilst injured). In teams of predominantly transient jersey fillers, most of whom we’ve cast into forgotten recesses of our minds, he shone as someone who gave a ****. I always felt he ‘got’ Hibs as a club and a fan base, as demonstrated above with the Ryan Stevenson story. He knew what it meant to us.

i also think there’s an element of what we all believe we’d be like if we got a chance to play professional football in him. He seemed to genuinely appreciate what it was to that for a living, and recognised he was living the dream of many who cheered him on.

All the best James, you were someone I looked forward to seeing play, and hoped you’d do well after you left. Perhaps we’ll see you back in Hibs attire in the future

Frazerbob
30-01-2018, 10:37 PM
After that cup final, he came out and said that we’d never be bullied by Hearts like that again. He’s been true to his word so far.

Best of luck to the big guy.

edinburghhibee
31-01-2018, 02:43 AM
Loved McPake proper cb heart like a lion, fearless in the tackle and never showed weakness.

Still got his shirt from the hibs v Celtic game at Easter Road when sparky scored the only goal in a 1-0 win never been washed and the grass stains from all his sliding tackles.

Good luck big fella!!