PDA

View Full Version : who was the biggest transfer loss?

bigwheel
29-01-2018, 10:16 AM
As we head to end of transfer window...fans nervous about SJM staying or going..who do you feel was the player who we missed the most when they were gone (the biggest transfer loss) ? and why?

Firestarter
29-01-2018, 10:18 AM
As we head to end of transfer window...fans nervous about SJM staying or going..who do you feel was the player who we missed the most when they were gone (the biggest transfer loss) ? and why?

Stokes the first time. Cost Yogi his job.

Goc the week before Riordan got suspended for the Semi was huge too.

Paisley Hibby
29-01-2018, 10:18 AM
Pat Stanton. I still haven't got over that shock.

Diclonius
29-01-2018, 10:22 AM
Griffiths. Spent a whole transfer window trying to replace him and got relegated.

bigwheel
29-01-2018, 10:25 AM
Griffiths. Spent a whole transfer window trying to replace him and got relegated.

thought about him, but was never our player...never filled the gap though, that is true..

Dalianwanda
29-01-2018, 10:26 AM
I was pretty gutted when Agathe signed for Celtic...Dunno if that counts but it was certainly a huge loss compared to if we had tied him up earlier.

Smartie
29-01-2018, 10:26 AM
Darren Jackson or Jim Leighton.

We lost far too many good players around that time under Duffy, replacing them with utter keech.

We went from a decent side to a terrible one very quickly.

Jackson had carried us for a wee bit (even though we still had a few very good outfield players) and Leighton was the last of the excellent keepers that we'd had for more than a decade (and have never really had since).

Griffiths was the biggest loss in recent years. It was ridiculous how dependent we were on a player who wasn't even ours though.

DarlingtonHibee
29-01-2018, 10:28 AM

This

bingo70
29-01-2018, 10:28 AM
Possibly Garry O’connor due to the timing of the sale?

SirDavidsNapper
29-01-2018, 10:32 AM
Didier Agathe. Lost him to Celtic for a pittance. Looked a world beater for us bar a horror miss at Tiny. Scored one of best goals I've ever seen at ER against Dundee.

SirDavidsNapper
29-01-2018, 10:33 AM
I was pretty gutted when Agathe signed for Celtic...Dunno if that counts but it was certainly a huge loss compared to if we had tied him up earlier.

Beat me to it

Mantis Toboggan
29-01-2018, 10:34 AM
Leighton for me. Relegated the following season with a nightmare combination of Gottskalksson, then later Bryan Gunn who was well past his best.

bigwheel
29-01-2018, 10:36 AM
Leighton for me. Relegated the following season with a nightmare combination of Gottskalksson, then later Bryan Gunn who was well past his best.

Leighton is a good call...iirc he chose to go back to Aberdeen..and it left us significantly weakened.

mcohibs
29-01-2018, 10:42 AM
Cummings

Lago
29-01-2018, 10:42 AM
Me too.

hibbyfraelibby
29-01-2018, 10:44 AM
losing Stokes right at the end of the window with no time to replace him. Started the rot that led to relegation

bigwheel
29-01-2018, 10:44 AM
one from me would be Jimmy O'Rourke...triggered by the Joe Harper signing iirc..arguably led to the downfall of the Turnbull tornadoes era...

snooky
29-01-2018, 10:59 AM
one from me would be Jimmy O'Rourke...triggered by the Joe Harper signing iirc..arguably led to the downfall of the Turnbull tornadoes era...

Defo. Along with letting Tosh leave to go part-time at Dundee.

WeeRussell
29-01-2018, 11:17 AM
Perhaps not the biggest loss of them all but I remember being most upset turning over a paper and seeing Ian Murray in a rangers top.

mcohibs
29-01-2018, 11:20 AM
Perhaps not the biggest loss of them all but I remember being most upset turning over a paper and seeing Ian Murray in a rangers top.

To be fair the sight of any human being in a rangers top is rather upsetting.

edinburghhibee
29-01-2018, 11:26 AM
Sauzee, latapy and John O’Neill fantastic players

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WeeRussell
29-01-2018, 11:28 AM
To be fair the sight of any human being in a rangers top is rather upsetting.

Good point, well made.

jgl07
29-01-2018, 11:32 AM
Sauzee, latapy and John O’Neill fantastic players

Sauzee was never transferred.

John O'Neil wasn't transferred either. Blobby was instructed not to play him to avoid triggering a new contract.

Latapy let Hibs down big time before the Cup Final and I think ran down his contract.

G B Young
29-01-2018, 11:32 AM
The O'Connor sale was disastrously timed. With Riordan, Killen, Brown and Stewart already out of the cup semi v Hearts we were left with barely half our first-choice team for that game.

Latapy's fall from grace and sacking just before another cup semi v Celtic was also costly.

I'd like to have seen Gordon Durie stay longer than he did as he was a fantastic young player at a time. Ditto Kenny Miller.

Jones28
29-01-2018, 11:33 AM
Was gutted to see Ivan Sproule leave, his story was the stuff of dreams.

Souter96Mac
29-01-2018, 11:35 AM
Malonga

Colr
29-01-2018, 11:40 AM
Joe Harper

KWJ
29-01-2018, 11:40 AM
Sauzee was never transferred.

John O'Neil wasn't transferred either. Blobby was instructed not to play him to avoid triggering a new contract.

Latapy let Hibs down big time before the Cup Final and I think ran down his contract.

Latapy was sacked. Conveniently joined Rangers and McLeish followed not long after. Wasn't the same player though.

Colr
29-01-2018, 11:41 AM
The loss of John Robertson came back to bite us!!

JK Rolling
29-01-2018, 11:48 AM

This and then some.

There's another thread on here where reference is made to "Rich Supporters" who could've helped us out. If someone could've paid the £1 million (just think about that for a minute and then think what he is rightly valued at now!) or even offered to cover Griffiths wages, by that I mean paying him the equivalent of what the likes of Celtic pay him, I would be confident he would've stayed with us.

It's all ifs, buts and maybes however, I doubt many on here would disagree that he would've comfortably made the difference between us staying up and going down. God alone knows how much money we subsequently lost as a result.

snooky
29-01-2018, 11:52 AM
This and then some.

There's another thread on here where reference is made to "Rich Supporters" who could've helped us out. If someone could've paid the £1 million (just think about that for a minute and then think what he is rightly valued at now!) or even offered to cover Griffiths wages, by that I mean paying him the equivalent of what the likes of Celtic pay him, I would be confident he would've stayed with us.

It's all ifs, buts and maybes however, I doubt many on here would disagree that he would've comfortably made the difference between us staying up and going down. God alone knows how much money we subsequently lost as a result.

The man's very presence in a Hibs shirt would surely go (or, would've gone) a long way into paying his wages from the extra supporters turning up and additional season tickets sold. Speculate to accumulate. :cb

Robinho08
29-01-2018, 11:53 AM
Leigh Griffiths: missed his goals and cost us relegation.

Bostonhibby
29-01-2018, 11:57 AM
Never really forgave turnbull over the transfer of Jimmy O'Rourke. Timing was awful, should never have been sold.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

snooky
29-01-2018, 12:08 PM
Never really forgave turnbull over the transfer of Jimmy O'Rourke. Timing was awful, should never have been sold.

Me too. I stopped going to ER as much after that and when Paddy went to Celtc I was so totally pee-ed off that I stopped going altogether and followed the local Juniors for a few years.

HoboHarry
29-01-2018, 12:30 PM
For me it was seeing John Blackley leave but like CWG I'm a bit older. My guess would be that CWG was most heartbroken when Harry Brown left in 1932......

FilipinoHibs
29-01-2018, 12:35 PM
The loss of John Robertson came back to bite us!!

Colin Stein.

Bostonhibby
29-01-2018, 12:37 PM
Me too. I stopped going to ER as much after that and when Paddy went to Celtc I was so totally pee-ed off that I stopped going altogether and followed the local Juniors for a few years.Convinced myself it cost us our best shot at the league in my lifetime and what followed with Harper etc al just wasn't an improvement.

CropleyWasGod
29-01-2018, 12:39 PM
For me it was seeing John Blackley leave but like CWG I'm a bit older. My guess would be that CWG was most heartbroken when Harry Brown left in 1932......

***ake. I just popped on to see if we'd signed some obscure Azerbaijani left-back, and I get this *****.

I'm off back to work. :rolleyes:

(Actually, if you must know, my biggest tantrum was when Kevin Macdonald left. I'd sponsored his boots that season, and he naffed off to Clyde half-way through. Kevin Thomson stepped in at the sponsor's night to present me with them, which I was chuffed about, but he naffed off to the Huns not long after. So now, in pride of place in my boudoir, I have the smelly, dirty books of someone who barely played for us, and a photo of me and someone who alternates between God and Lucifer on here. The moral of this story is "dinny take any investment or betting advice from this guy." :rolleyes:)

HoboHarry
29-01-2018, 12:44 PM
***ake. I just popped on to see if we'd signed some obscure Azerbaijani left-back, and I get this *****.

(Actually, if you must know, my biggest tantrum was when Kevin Macdonald left. I'd sponsored his boots that season, and he naffed off to Clyde half-way through. Kevin Thomson stepped in at the sponsor's night to present me with them, which I was chuffed about, but he naffed off to the Huns not long after. So now, in pride of place in my boudoir, I have the smelly, dirty books of someone who barely played for us, and a photo of me and someone who alternates between God and Lucifer on here. The moral of this story is "dinny take any investment or betting advice from this guy." :rolleyes:)
If you had given Katie the boots back when he left he wouldn't have had to walk bare footed over broken glass to get tae Mordor. I hope you are ashamed of yourself........

Blackfordhibby
29-01-2018, 12:53 PM

I'm with you on that one.

HUTCHYHIBBY
29-01-2018, 12:57 PM

Why would you have someone elses smelly, dirty books in your possession? :-)

PercyHibs
29-01-2018, 01:01 PM
Darren Jackson, he kept us up the season before he left.

CropleyWasGod
29-01-2018, 01:02 PM
Why would you have someone elses smelly, dirty books in your possession? :-)

Cos I ****ing paid for them. :greengrin

Keith_M
29-01-2018, 01:03 PM

I had my photo on the back page of the Evening News alongside Mikey Stewart, shortly before he went back to Hearts.

Still have mixed feelings about meeting him :greengrin

Is It On....
29-01-2018, 01:06 PM
losing Stokes right at the end of the window with no time to replace him. Started the rot that led to relegation

Hope history does not repeat itself..

BILLYHIBS
29-01-2018, 01:10 PM
Des Bremner-Did not realise how good he was until he left -big holes started to appear in our defence and midfield -badly missed his work rate went on to Villa and won the European Cup. Not bad for a wee laddie from Devronvale signed as understudy to John Brownlie.

Delboy4
29-01-2018, 01:15 PM

Don't think Jackie MacNamara is over the shock either, he was watching the 6 o'clock news when it was announced that Paddy was going west to Celtic and he was heading to Hibs in a money/player transfer!

Imagine that happening now..! Lol :greengrin

Delboy4
29-01-2018, 01:25 PM

I cried...I was a wee boy though :greengrin

He scored in his first game back at ER for St Johnstone. I was gutted :-(

GGTTH

Bostonhibby
29-01-2018, 01:26 PM

GGTTHI was there when he scored, we lost!

hhibs
29-01-2018, 01:32 PM

Agreed !

29-01-2018, 01:53 PM
Griffiths (although not technically owned by us) was a massive loss. His goals alone kept us up the season before we were actually relegated.

bigwheel
29-01-2018, 02:05 PM
Des Bremner-Did not realise how good he was until he left -big holes started to appear in our defence and midfield -badly missed his work rate went on to Villa and won the European Cup. Not bad for a wee laddie from Devronvale signed as understudy to John Brownlie.

yes, what a quality player he was...had a great career..

hibsbollah
29-01-2018, 02:10 PM
Personally I missed Zemmamas ability to do the crazy unexpected stuff which is why I watch the game.

But for the biggest loss for team dynamics it has to be O'connor before the cup semi. It was the biggest Derby disaster prior to the 1-5 debacle and was the start of the slide we are now recovering from.

jgl07
29-01-2018, 02:25 PM

You can't really blame Gunn, he was injured very early on and never played again.

Peevemor
29-01-2018, 02:31 PM
You can't really blame Gunn, he was injured very early on and never played again.

I can't remember him doing much wrong - he even got a head to a corner which lead to a much needed, very late equaliser at East End Park.

IWasThere2016
29-01-2018, 02:39 PM

Great thread... some good posts. For me, these two were heart-breaking :agree:

ancient hibee
29-01-2018, 03:17 PM
Get them in Bobbies Bookshop did you?

merseyhibs
29-01-2018, 03:26 PM
The late great George Best.

hibbymick
29-01-2018, 04:53 PM
David Murphy and Gary O

hibeg
29-01-2018, 07:25 PM

Des was a big miss when he left, quality player who only got one cap IIRC. We went downhill fast when he left for Villa.
Didn’t we get Joe Ward in part exchange ? Now he was a total waste of a jersey and was valued around 100k as a makeweight in the transfer . Not one of Hibs better deals !!!

lapsedhibee
29-01-2018, 07:33 PM

:tsk tsk: Are you using Q Ann's proofreader now?

Sammy7nil
29-01-2018, 07:40 PM
Agathe
McGinley
Jackson
O'Connor (cup game)
Murray

All big losses at the time.

heretoday
29-01-2018, 08:17 PM
Colin Stein.

That was a blow, especially since I seem to recall he promptly scored a hat trick against us soon after leaving!

Billy Whizz
29-01-2018, 08:20 PM
Colin Stein.

Before my time, but scored 41 goals in 78 appearances for Hibs. Must have been a major blow to lose him

stantonhibby
29-01-2018, 08:25 PM
Gordon Smith.....won 2 more league titles after we let him go.

hibby6270
29-01-2018, 08:31 PM
Colin Stein.

:thumbsup:
I was only 10 and didn’t really understand what transfers were all about. I was really upset. Any transfer after that, although not good, was kinda like water off a ducks back after Colin left.

To add insult to injury, his first game for the Huns at Ipox was against us and he scored a hat trick.:rolleyes:

BILLYHIBS
29-01-2018, 08:36 PM
Colin Stein.
I remember after he left every time a stray dog came onto the pitch it was met by the chant of Colin Colin Colin Stein!! There were more stray dogs going about in the sixties.

bigwheel
29-01-2018, 08:45 PM
I remember after he left every time a stray dog came onto the pitch it was met by the chant of Colin Colin Colin Stein!! There were more stray dogs going about in the sixties.

Top Quality early 70s banter....better than today!

mca
29-01-2018, 09:00 PM
Rob Jones.. Miss watching that guy planting headers.. :wink:

eastterrace
29-01-2018, 09:07 PM
Des was a big miss when he left, quality player who only got one cap IIRC. We went downhill fast when he left for Villa.
Didn’t we get Joe Ward in part exchange ? Now he was a total waste of a jersey and was valued around 100k as a makeweight in the transfer . Not one of Hibs better deals !!!

Don’t think joe ever scored a goal for us .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

erin go bragh
29-01-2018, 09:07 PM
John Collins . Gordon Durie .

eastterrace
29-01-2018, 09:08 PM
That was a blow, especially since I seem to recall he promptly scored a hat trick against us soon after leaving!

Was at that game at ibrox , he scored a hat trick the week before as well , might have been against arbroath , memory a bit fuzzy.

snooky
29-01-2018, 09:12 PM
The O'Connor sale was disastrously timed. With Riordan, Killen, Brown and Stewart already out of the cup semi v Hearts we were left with barely half our first-choice team for that game.

Latapy's fall from grace and sacking just before another cup semi v Celtic was also costly.

I'd like to have seen Gordon Durie stay longer than he did as he was a fantastic young player at a time. Ditto Kenny Miller.

And yet I remember the great Mowbray saying "It was a great deal for O'connor and a great deal for Hibs"
4-0 ... Aye, right! :crazy:

Mick O'Rourke
29-01-2018, 09:14 PM
Joe Baker leaving was an absolute travesty and should not have happened.
Boardroom greed.
Early 70s?
Jimmy ORourke and Alan Gordon.
Not one of them asked to leave the club,either.

snooky
29-01-2018, 09:17 PM

GGTTH

So was I but I still applauded him. :not worth

snooky
29-01-2018, 09:24 PM
Personally I missed Zemmamas ability to do the crazy unexpected stuff which is why I watch the game.

But for the biggest loss for team dynamics it has to be O'connor before the cup semi. It was the biggest Derby disaster prior to the 1-5 debacle and was the start of the slide we are now recovering from.

Go to 1:26 >>>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBXIYUmOCiw

Ray_
29-01-2018, 09:24 PM
Was at that game at ibrox , he scored a hat trick the week before as well , might have been against arbroath , memory a bit fuzzy.

Taken from an Evening Times column.

"Colin Stein was bought from Hibernian in October 1968 for £100,000, the first six-figure transfer between Scottish clubs.

His impact was sensational at Ibrox. In his debut game he scored a hat-trick in a 5-1 League win at Arbroath and followed that up by scoring another treble a week later in his first home game in a 6-1 victory over his old club Hibs."

My first really big hurt supporting Hibs, bad enough when we all though he was off to Everton for 90K. Soon forgotten when Joe McBride was scoring three against Leipzig and following it up with four against Morton and with his goal at Ibrox, he equalled Stein's eight goals in eight days over three games. Misery was soon upon us again when the first four month's of the seventies saw us lose Peter's Marinello & Cormack!!

snooky
29-01-2018, 09:31 PM

He scored 8 goals in his first 3 games for Rangers. 3 at Arbroath away, 3 against Hibs at Ibrox & 2 away to Dundalk.
A lawn bowler in Linlithgow the last I heard.

ancient hibee
29-01-2018, 09:54 PM
Gordon Smith.....won 2 more league titles after we let him go.
Pushed him out the door might be more accurate.After he got the free he had a few to choose from and picked Hearts.Needless to say they got a fee when they sold him to Dundee.

weecounty hibby
29-01-2018, 10:00 PM
Mickey Weir. Gutted when he left to go to
Luton. Gordon Durie wasn't around long enough. John Collins, similar to SKM situation at the moment and we got an additional 2 years but would have loved him to stay longer.

SideBurns
29-01-2018, 10:05 PM
Craig Paterson to the Huns in 1982. I'd just bought his caricature drawing from Harry Gilzean's barry wee shop in Fleshmarket Close, when Paterson (Hibs brightest prospect and a Scotland under 21 cap, admittedly at a time when there were very few other laddies breaking through from the reserves) promptly buggered off. I ripped the poster off ma wall in a rage.

WeeRussell
30-01-2018, 11:43 AM
And yet I remember the great Mowbray saying "It was a great deal for O'connor and a great deal for Hibs"
4-0 ... Aye, right! :crazy:

To be fair they probably were pretty good deals for both parties - just not the best timing for us (or Gary in hindsight!).

proud_and_green
30-01-2018, 12:13 PM

That was exactly who I was going to say, loved him as a player when he left for Villa I was gutted .

snooky
30-01-2018, 12:21 PM
To be fair they probably were pretty good deals for both parties - just not the best timing for us (or Gary in hindsight!).

Garry maybe, but not for Hibs & the fans. A quick buck no less. They could still have got a similar amount for GOC had the held on to him to the summer (I would have thought). 4-0, I was there, 4-0! That was a worse result than 5-1 because there was no cheating involved.

WeeRussell
30-01-2018, 12:41 PM
Garry maybe, but Hibs & the fans. A quick buck no less. They could still have got a similar amount for GOC had the held on to him to the summer (I would have thought). 4-0, I was there, 4-0! That was a worse result than 5-1 because there was no cheating involved.

Me too - no disagreement whatsoever about the result and the pain it caused.

GreenOnions
30-01-2018, 05:33 PM
Tony Mowbray leaving as manager turned out to be a disaster for us in possibly a bigger way than losing any one player.

He got lucky with the youngsters he inherited but he also brought a load of good players to the club such as Murphy, Jones, Hogg, Beuzelin, Stewart, Sproule, Killen, Sheils, Benjelloun, Zemmama and more. Being able to pick a player in today's football world is critical.

Collins won a trophy with Mowbray's players and he deserves some credit for that. He then started falling-out with everybody and his first summer transfer window was the start of many during which we populated East Mains with players who shouldn't have been signed. The beginnings of a long slide to relegation.

calumhibee1
30-01-2018, 05:38 PM
Leigh Griffiths by a country mile. Never seen a Hibs team, or any team for that matter, be carried so much by one player. The season we got beat by Celtic in the cup final he was absolutely unplayable. I'm sure he had next to no injuries for us all season and was our only real hope of getting anywhere in the final. In typical Hibs luck, turned up at Hampden and he was injured, you could tell from the very first minute. Any small chance we had that day was gone. Absolutely wonderful player (still is) and the best striker I've seen at Hibs in my lifetime. Also the best Celtic striker since Larsson IMO.

calumhibee1
30-01-2018, 05:44 PM

Awful quality video for the most part, but Benji and Zemmama are two players I'll always remember very fondly and I would say are two of my favourite Hibs players. As someone said above, players like they two are the reason you watch football. Can remember Benji being inconsolable up at Tannadice after his last game for us. He was untouchable in the CIS cup final.

Benji is only 32, wonder if he fancies coming back :wink:

Hillsidehibby
30-01-2018, 05:54 PM
Ricardo Vaz Te

brog
30-01-2018, 06:27 PM
Joe Baker leaving was an absolute travesty and should not have happened.
Boardroom greed.
Early 70s?
Jimmy ORourke and Alan Gordon.
Not one of them asked to leave the club,either.

Ah Mick, you beat me to it re the great Joe. I'm still trying to get over it! Of course James, Tosh & King Pat leaving summed up Ned. A great manager but a stubborn cantankerous man at times.

hibsbollah
30-01-2018, 06:43 PM

Seen it. My personal favourite :top marks There was one match against Dundee Utd at ER, The best 45 minutes I've ever seen from a individual player. With him it was fleeting but when he was on it he was a joy to watch

TelaStella
30-01-2018, 07:30 PM
Tony Mowbray leaving as manager turned out to be a disaster for us in possibly a bigger way than losing any one player.

He got lucky with the youngsters he inherited but he also brought a load of good players to the club such as Murphy, Jones, Hogg, Beuzelin, Stewart, Sproule, Killen, Sheils, Benjelloun, Zemmama and more. Being able to pick a player in today's football world is critical.

Collins won a trophy with Mowbray's players and he deserves some credit for that. He then started falling-out with everybody and his first summer transfer window was the start of many during which we populated East Mains with players who shouldn't have been signed. The beginnings of a long slide to relegation.

The one thing I must say to this is as gash as some of the players who came in were we actually got of to a pretty decent start that season if I'm not mistaken? Beat them at tynie first game, first team to beat celtic that season and when we won at Ibrox in the D Murphy game we went top of the league. Crazy thinking all this was achieved with big macka in goals along with Obrian and Kerr[emoji23].

hibbydog
30-01-2018, 09:29 PM
Seeing a young Kenny Miller in a Rangers strip filled me with rage.....

weecounty hibby
30-01-2018, 09:35 PM
Seeing a young Kenny Miller in a Rangers strip filled me with rage.....

I feel like that when I see anyone in a rangers strip to be fair!!

One Day Soon
30-01-2018, 09:42 PM

That was a thing of beauty. Grinning ear to ear.

monktonharp
31-01-2018, 12:50 AM
Me too.and me