PDA

View Full Version : Cardiff/Man City referee

Hibbyradge
28-01-2018, 03:54 PM
2 very poor decisions in the first half.

City's offside goal should have stood and Bennett should have been sent off for that assault on Sane.

VAR might be a bit clunky at the moment, or at least the referee's use of it is, but it's so important.

No doubt Scotland will resist it for another decade. :bitchy:

greenlex
28-01-2018, 03:58 PM
VAR would have cleared it up for sure. If Sane was offside it was a good call by the ref regards interfering. The fact he wasn’t was a poor call from the lino. .

leggeto
28-01-2018, 04:00 PM
2 very poor decisions in the first half.

City's offside goal should have stood and Bennett should have been sent off for that assault on Sane.

VAR might be a bit clunky at the moment, or at least the referee's use of it is, but it's so important.

No doubt Scotland will resist it for another decade. :bitchy:

Was sane not blocking the goalies view when the shot was hit,seen them given though

Hibbyradge
28-01-2018, 04:01 PM
Was sane not blocking the goalies view when the shot was hit,seen them given though

He wasn't off side, though. He can block the keeper's view all he likes.

leggeto
28-01-2018, 04:07 PM

Looked like he was offside though

Albanian Hibs
28-01-2018, 04:11 PM

He wasnt

SChibs
28-01-2018, 04:11 PM

Isn't that classed as interfering with play?

BoomtownHibees
28-01-2018, 04:14 PM

But he wasn’t in an offside position so makes no odds about him “interfering with play”

Pretty Boy
28-01-2018, 04:14 PM
How can you have this technology in one game in a competition but not in another? Hardly a level playing field. The technology, and lack of, has impacted 2 games in as many days for different reasons.

I actually assumed they did have it today because it took so long to make the decision and I wasn't concentrating.

Hibbyradge
28-01-2018, 04:20 PM

Of course not.

You're only illegally "interfering with play" if you're in an offside position.

You can stand directly in the keeper's line of vision if you're inside.

WoreTheGreen
28-01-2018, 04:27 PM
Quite confused Patterson and Rolf both playing is it one and the same?

Wee Effen Bee
28-01-2018, 04:30 PM

That’s the real issue, I think anyway. He was awfy close and the Lino made a judgement. Aye, it was wrong, but every game this weekend will have had at least one contentious off/onside situation. The vast majority would probably have been called correctly but a few will have been erroneous. Because this one denied, what was, a brilliant goal, it will be used as chance for match officials to be pilloried yet again but I have a lot of sympathy for refs and assistants. The pressure on them to perform is beginning to rival that of the players and that can’t be good for football IMHO. My hope is that the VAR system helps to highlight just how tough a job officials have, instead of just using it as a big cudgey to batter them with. The offside rule sometimes requires a team of top lawyers to help us understand the changes. We should really be turning our frustrations towards the offside rule-makers, not those struggling to interpret them.

Hibbyradge
28-01-2018, 04:34 PM
That’s the real issue, I think anyway. He was awfy close and the Lino made a judgement. Aye, it was wrong, but every game this weekend will have had at least one contentious off/onside situation. The vast majority would probably have been called correctly but a few will have been erroneous. Because this one denied, what was, a brilliant goal, it will be used as chance for match officials to be pilloried yet again but I have a lot of sympathy for refs and assistants. The pressure on them to perform is beginning to rival that of the players and that can’t be good for football IMHO. My hope is that the VAR system helps to highlight just how tough a job officials have, instead of just using it as a big cudgey to batter them with. The offside rule sometimes requires a team of top lawyers to help us understand the changes. We should really be turning our frustrations towards the offside rule-makers, not those struggling to interpret them.

My point is that VAR should be in common use.

If it was, the referees would make a lot fewer mistakes.

Hibbyradge
28-01-2018, 04:35 PM
The fact he wasn’t was a poor call from the lino. .

Assistant referee. Still a referee. :agree:

Lago
28-01-2018, 04:43 PM
How can you have this technology in one game in a competition but not in another? Hardly a level playing field. The technology, and lack of, has impacted 2 games in as many days for different reasons.

I actually assumed they did have it today because it took so long to make the decision and I wasn't concentrating.
Because it's being classed as on trial for the moment.