PDA

View Full Version : Hitting the refresh button

seanoheimhin
28-01-2018, 12:18 PM
I know there has been a bit of an overreaction from last Sunday on here, but it has prompted a discussion about where we are right now.

I’d be happy finishing fourth and taking stock at the end of the season, but there is a feeling of stagnation from some and rumours about Lennon and the Scotland job.

Interested to hear what people think about a refresh either now or at the end of the season (my preference).

How would you view us taking £3m for McGinn if we could get it, getting some compensation from the SFA from Lennon, moving on Stokes, Dave, a couple of others and building from there?

Alfiembra
28-01-2018, 12:34 PM
How would you view us taking £3m for McGinn if we could get it, getting some compensation from the SFA from Lennon, moving on Stokes, Dave, a couple of others and building from there?

Think it would put us in a tailspin down the table. Would take weeks to get a new manager in place and then him and the squad getting to grip with each other. This and no transfer window to replace or improve the squad till the end of the season. We would have to accept that the season is effectively over if all that came about.

HibeeHibernian4
28-01-2018, 12:38 PM
If we can salvage this season by getting a European place (realistically that's finishing fourth and hoping that one of Celtic, Aberdeen or Rangers win the cup), I'd be very happy. Fourth without Europe would sting a little but would still be a good first season back. The cup defeat definitely takes the shine off it, and I just hope we don't go into a bit of a tailspin and end up slipping down to 6th or, god forbid, the bottom half. I think we've done enough in the first half of the season to avoid that scenario happening though.

SiinDubai
28-01-2018, 12:54 PM
£3 million for McGinn would be good business for the club, not sure how much would be reinvested into the team.
moving on stokes & big Dave would seem sensible as neither are anywhere near getting a game.
there is no way I would be letting the manager go anywhere, we are 4th in the league and in with a good shout of European football

One Day Soon
28-01-2018, 12:58 PM
I know there has been a bit of an overreaction from last Sunday on here, but it has prompted a discussion about where we are right now.

I’d be happy finishing fourth and taking stock at the end of the season, but there is a feeling of stagnation from some and rumours about Lennon and the Scotland job.

Interested to hear what people think about a refresh either now or at the end of the season (my preference).

The only rumours about Lennon and the Scotland job are made up ones from rag papers, repeated here by a mixture of Yams, roaster posters and people who should know better.

Eyrie
28-01-2018, 01:10 PM
After paying St Mirren their share, I think that most of the McGinn money will be invested in the full sized indoor pitch for East Mains that has been mentioned.

seanoheimhin
28-01-2018, 03:01 PM
The only rumours about Lennon and the Scotland job are made up ones from rag papers, repeated here by a mixture of Yams, roaster posters and people who should know better.

Haha fair point, more going on his comments indicating he’d be willing to hear them out

Viva_Palmeiras
29-01-2018, 05:22 AM
Well that wasn’t what I expected from the thread title...

Speedway
29-01-2018, 05:46 AM
I’ve never seen us this keen to get rid of a successful manager.

Yorkshire HFC
29-01-2018, 06:14 AM
I’ve never seen us this keen to get rid of a successful manager.

Exactly - getting rid of a good manager and your best players isn't the way to progress.

Who do people think Lennon, McGinn and Stokes would be replaced with?

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
29-01-2018, 06:55 AM
If we can salvage this season by getting a European place (realistically that's finishing fourth and hoping that one of Celtic, Aberdeen or Rangers win the cup), I'd be very happy. Fourth without Europe would sting a little but would still be a good first season back. The cup defeat definitely takes the shine off it, and I just hope we don't go into a bit of a tailspin and end up slipping down to 6th or, god forbid, the bottom half. I think we've done enough in the first half of the season to avoid that scenario happening though.

'Salvage'...

What do you mean 'salvage'? This season is going pretty well fpr a promoted team, leavue cup semis, and out after a tight derby in our third year in a row of very tough cup draws.

Salvage suggests this season has been bad. I would argue it has been good, amd the only frustration is how much better ot could have been if two or three matches in the league had ended differently.

Seems to me there are a lot of hearts-esque posts here, trying to foment the idea that our season is somehow over because we went out the cup. If that is true, why do we even bother playing in the league? Just because hearts went through a period of self-flagellation for the last two seasons after we pumped them out of the cup, doesnt mean we habe to.

Very transparent attempts imo.

greenlex
29-01-2018, 07:32 AM
No need to be hitting any button. We are doing just fine. McGinn will move on at some point and we will reinvest in the club in some form.
We have a clear structure in place and will probably not reap anything like the full rewards for another four or five years.it might even be a bumpy ride. Luck plays a big part. Just take the last two Tynecastle ferries as proof of that. Patience.

Onion
29-01-2018, 07:55 AM
If SJM is to go, sooner he went now for good money than later for a pittance. His performances of late have been average at best. We need McGinn and Stokes moved on, and some decent money put into good replacements plus a RB.

Lennon is the best we've had in 20 yrs, even though he's far from perfect. His signings have been questionable, especially if you take away his Celtic connections (Effe and Stokes). His tactics and use of subs are often iffy as well. But I like his passion, the way he sticks up for the club and the standards he sets and expects of players. Really hope he stays.

If we lose Lennon and SJM, we'll fall back and likely end up scrapping in the bottom 6.

Stuart93
29-01-2018, 08:20 AM
If SJM is to go, sooner he went now for good money than later for a pittance. His performances of late have been average at best. We need McGinn and Stokes moved on, and some decent money put into good replacements plus a RB.

Lennon is the best we've had in 20 yrs, even though he's far from perfect. His signings have been questionable, especially if you take away his Celtic connections (Effe and Stokes). His tactics and use of subs are often iffy as well. But I like his passion, the way he sticks up for the club and the standards he sets and expects of players. Really hope he stays.

If we lose Lennon and SJM, we'll fall back and likely end up scrapping in the bottom 6.

Don't think we "need" mcginn move on

Sioux
29-01-2018, 09:41 AM
A manger should only last 18 months before he's punted. It's the Hibs.net way.

seanoheimhin
29-01-2018, 09:52 AM
A manger should only last 18 months before he's punted. It's the Hibs.net way.

I'm a big fan of Lennon as a person and I'd never want him punted unless something dramatic happened. Just posing the question, if he was to go of his own accord at some point in the next 6 months, whether it would be a disaster

patlowe
29-01-2018, 12:15 PM
The Stokes/Portugal fallout and the (albeit very disappointing) derby seem to have had a disproportionate impact on the mood of fans. This, combined with perhaps over-inflated expectation levels, has created a sense that we are in some way underperforming this season. A bit of perspective is required at the moment IMO and I say that as someone who has also wondered over the last couple of weeks whether the wheels are falling off.

We are just up following three years in the Championship and the only clubs ahead of us are Celtic (enough said), a very well-established and well-funded Aberdeen, and a Rangers team that was always going to recover eventually. Fourth place in this context is a really great effort so far and to come out of this season with a European place would be remarkable. Top six was a dream in the years before we were relegated and our away record is genuinely as good as I can remember.

In terms of potentially falling away, I can’t understand how fans can look at us going to Celtic and controlling the game in the way we did and come to that conclusion. Everyone can see we are lacking a quality striker – recruitment in this regard hasn’t worked out but I’m sure Lennon will be working on resolving this as we speak. However, the rest of our side is very strong at this level and, when I compare to previous sides we were forced to watch under Calderwood, Fenlon et al, I am very content with how things are going.

mutley
29-01-2018, 12:31 PM
We need stability, I for one hope Lennon stays. For far too long we have had this revolving door of managers in/out.

Transfers will happen if we like it or not, but we need a stable foundation to build on, this we have now so if Lennon moves on we will be back to square one.

On Stokes who was AS rabbit out of the hat that won us the Cup, but it’s clear that he is no longer of much use to us and causes more problems than we can manage.

Sitting fourth after a fun of results that could have been a lot better isn’t too shabby at this point, we can and should be keeping on the heels of The Rangers and Aberdeen and 2nd / 3rd isn’t too far away, and at the start of the season, if we were offered finishing 4th, I think most of us would take that.

The quicker the window closes and all the speculation stops the better, yes I hope we bring in a goal scorer without having to lose any of our big players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

seanoheimhin
29-01-2018, 12:59 PM
We need stability, I for one hope Lennon stays. For far too long we have had this revolving door of managers in/out.

Transfers will happen if we like it or not, but we need a stable foundation to build on, this we have now so if Lennon moves on we will be back to square one.

On Stokes who was AS rabbit out of the hat that won us the Cup, but it’s clear that he is no longer of much use to us and causes more problems than we can manage.

Sitting fourth after a fun of results that could have been a lot better isn’t too shabby at this point, we can and should be keeping on the heels of The Rangers and Aberdeen and 2nd / 3rd isn’t too far away, and at the start of the season, if we were offered finishing 4th, I think most of us would take that.

The quicker the window closes and all the speculation stops the better, yes I hope we bring in a goal scorer without having to lose any of our big players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

As much as I'm a fan of Lennon, rightly or wrongly I'm resigned to the impression he sees Hibs as a stepping stone. Not to say he's been in any way disrespectful, but if we are a stepping stone for him then he won't be the man to provide that stability beyond the next year or so.

One Day Soon
29-01-2018, 01:00 PM
As much as I'm a fan of Lennon, rightly or wrongly I'm resigned to the impression he sees Hibs as a stepping stone. Not to say he's been in any way disrespectful, but if we are a stepping stone for him then he won't be the man to provide that stability beyond the next year or so.

Based on what?

seanoheimhin
29-01-2018, 01:07 PM
Based on what?

Nothing beyond an impression built on how he's fielded questions about the Scotland job, his links with Celtic, and knowing he's highly ambitious.

WhileTheChief..
29-01-2018, 01:21 PM
The impression I get from Lennon from listening to every interview he’s given is that he loves it here and is building something for the future.

Watch his interview from earlier this season when he signed his contract extension, he’s as happy as a pig in *****!!

Another 2 or 3 years at least until he moves on.

seanoheimhin
29-01-2018, 01:24 PM
The impression I get from Lennon from listening to every interview he’s given is that he loves it here and is building something for the future.

Watch his interview from earlier this season when he signed his contract extension, he’s as happy as a pig in *****!!

Another 2 or 3 years at least until he moves on.

Fair enough, interesting to hear other perspectives on it and I hope you're right!

Delboy4
29-01-2018, 02:08 PM
1. Stokes & Big Davy move on hopefully ASAP so we can use their wages on a couple of new players but we are running out of time.

2. McGinn - hopefully will move on at the end of the season (don't want him to go but it's inevitable) The money we receive net of St Mirren's cut will be firstly used on the indoor full sized pitch. Circa £750k/£1m -
I don't know how much that will cost but it can't be a kick of the backside of these figures. We might then use some of it to re-invest in a couple of players.

3. Hopefully sign Dylan on an extension as he is one of our best players at the club.

4. Lennon, we should be fighting tooth and nail to keep him at the club. First of all, he has brought players like Efe to the club because he's the manager, not because of Hibs FC...! Secondly, he has gave the players a bit of fight
steel and determination which we didn't have before, why, he's a winner! Yes, we are going through a wee sticky patch at the moment but we'll come through it even stronger. Keep the Faith :agree:

There is a lot of "Hopefully's" above but that is what we are up against, being a selling club. That is how we have survived over the decades, we wouldn't have had our stadium, training facilities etc if we didn't sell our
top players like Miller, Brown, Fletcher, Whitty, Thomson etc etc...the list is endless!

GGTTH

:flag:

HibeeHibernian4
29-01-2018, 02:21 PM
'Salvage'...

What do you mean 'salvage'? This season is going pretty well fpr a promoted team, leavue cup semis, and out after a tight derby in our third year in a row of very tough cup draws.

Salvage suggests this season has been bad. I would argue it has been good, amd the only frustration is how much better ot could have been if two or three matches in the league had ended differently.

Seems to me there are a lot of hearts-esque posts here, trying to foment the idea that our season is somehow over because we went out the cup. If that is true, why do we even bother playing in the league? Just because hearts went through a period of self-flagellation for the last two seasons after we pumped them out of the cup, doesnt mean we habe to.

Very transparent attempts imo.

We don't have to, but I won't lie, my interest in the rest of the season has waned slightly. Does that make me a Hearts troll, or am I actually a season ticket holder with a little bit of realism? Lennon and the board don't seem to be all too concerned at the moment about bringing in a striker to help us secure fourth or higher, so why should I be on the edge of my seat?