PDA

View Full Version : Livingston

Frazerbob
28-01-2018, 10:25 AM
Crowd at Livi yesterday was 723, including 80 Dumbarton fans, in a10k stadium. They’re going back to their Meadowbank days with crowds like that.

Zazu62
28-01-2018, 10:30 AM
They are actually sitting 3rd and having a decent season aswell

GreenCastle
28-01-2018, 10:31 AM
Remember when Scottish Football had that 10,000 seater rule.

Falkirk couldn’t get promoted for about 3 years due to this rule.

Aberdeen also avoided relegation due to restructuring of the leagues also.

Mr_F
28-01-2018, 10:41 AM
Fake team. Hate Livingston. Can’t wait until they go pop again and there won’t be any coming back this time

RoxburghHibs
28-01-2018, 10:44 AM
Fake team. Hate Livingston. Can’t wait until they go pop again and there won’t be any coming back this time

Excuse my ignorance but why are they a fake club?

RossScott1991
28-01-2018, 10:45 AM
Had a dislike for livingston ever since the 2004 cis cup final, was only about 12 at time. remember being absolutely devastated as had knocked both old firm out on run to final.

suppose it was good experience for what was to come being a hibs fan!

where'stheslope
28-01-2018, 10:45 AM
Another team restricted in crowds due to Glasgow overspill in Livingston!

I believe it will take at least 2 generations, till people realise that they have a local team????

snooky
28-01-2018, 10:52 AM
Probably referring to the fact that they were created out of Meadowbank/Ferrari Thistle and got a place in the league when there were other clubs arguably more deserving at the time (either of the Inverness clubs for example). The SFA took the easy way out selecting the 'handy' team. Now, I may be talking bollocks however, that's how I remember it.

pacoluna
28-01-2018, 10:53 AM

I believe it will take at least 2 generations, till people realise that they have a local team????

A lot of hibs fans from Livingston.

danhibees1875
28-01-2018, 11:00 AM
Had a dislike for livingston ever since the 2004 cis cup final, was only about 12 at time. remember being absolutely devastated as had knocked both old firm out on run to final.

suppose it was good experience for what was to come being a hibs fan!

This.

A good mate of mine is a livi fan though so I follow their results. They're having a very good season - timed their form well to wait until Hibs, rangers, hearts were gone, Falkirk should have taken note. 😂

This is about as good as they'll get in the absence of throwing money at it again and they still can't get 1000 in attendance which is a shame.

where'stheslope
28-01-2018, 11:02 AM
Probably referring to the fact that they were created out of Meadowbank/Ferrari Thistle and got a place in the league when there were other clubs arguably more deserving at the time (either of the Inverness clubs for example). The SFA took the easy way out selecting the 'handy' team. Now, I may be talking bollocks however, that's how I remember it.

Thanks for the reminder, I went through to see Ferranti Thistle playing Partick Thistle in the Scottish Cup.

We were taken through on the old Ferranti Blue Transit buses.

bod
28-01-2018, 11:15 AM
Devolped a lot of good players through the years

The_Horde
28-01-2018, 11:16 AM
Crowd at Livi yesterday was 723, including 80 Dumbarton fans, in a10k stadium. They’re going back to their Meadowbank days with crowds like that.

That's probably good for them as well. Place is a morgue generally

lucky
28-01-2018, 11:18 AM

That might have been the case 20 years ago but it’s now an Edinburgh commuter town full of Hibs and Hearts fans.

MWHIBBIES
28-01-2018, 11:30 AM
Doesnt help they regularly postpone games without even trying to get them on.

greenlex
28-01-2018, 12:26 PM
Doesnt help they regularly postpone games without even trying to get them on.
I’m sure that’s the case right enough.

MWHIBBIES
28-01-2018, 12:38 PM
I’m sure that’s the case right enough.

Didnt even try to get the Falkirk game on, pitch was a perfect sheet of snow from Tuesday to Friday evening, they had 3 full days and half of Saturday to clear it and didnt touch it. They have far too many games postponed for the standard of facilities they have.

bod
28-01-2018, 12:51 PM
Didnt even try to get the Falkirk game on, pitch was a perfect sheet of snow from Tuesday to Friday evening, they had 3 full days and half of Saturday to clear it and didnt touch it. They have far too many games postponed for the standard of facilities they have.

Gut in my works a livi fan & he was saying that Theres a section of the pitch that doesn’t get any sun. They should be built the ground Facing a different way

O'Rourke3
28-01-2018, 01:00 PM

They are far from a fake club but have had some very bad investors in the past. I know the guy who has recently taken them over and is starting to turn around their fortunes. He's doing it by drumming up local investment as well as a lot of hard work. West Lothian had no senior football team and the Council at the time wanted to change that. It's the same type of move East Lothian made recently investing in supporting QMU as there were no Higher Education Facilities anywhere in their county. They don't need a big stadium but that was as a consequence of the SPL rules at the time. There's a small core support but that will grow over more time. Livingston also played 3 games last week so maybe the supporters couldn't afford it or looked at the weather and thought stuff this for a game of soldiers.

NAE NOOKIE
28-01-2018, 01:04 PM
It just goes to show how hard it is to manufacture a football club and more pertinently manufacture support for it. The Milton Keynes metropolitan area has a population of over 250,000 but MK Dons still only get an average of about 9,000 in a 30,000 capacity stadium and that's without having two of the countries biggest clubs within less than an hours travelling distance.

Livingston has the 7th biggest population in Scotland, but doesn't come close to the attendances towns of a similar size afford their clubs, even Hamilton do better and so does Inverness a town which also has a manufactured club.

Whoever owns the Toni Macaroni arena could do worse than flog it to ICT or Ayr Utd and move the club to a public park.

greenlex
28-01-2018, 01:18 PM
Gut in my works a livi fan & he was saying that Theres a section of the pitch that doesn’t get any sun. They should be built the ground Facing a different way

yup and they dont use the undersoil heating.

where'stheslope
28-01-2018, 02:15 PM
It just goes to show how hard it is to manufacture a football club and more pertinently manufacture support for it. The Milton Keynes metropolitan area has a population of over 250,000 but MK Dons still only get an average of about 9,000 in a 30,000 capacity stadium and that's without having two of the countries biggest clubs within less than an hours travelling distance.

Livingston has the 7th biggest population in Scotland, but doesn't come close to the attendances towns of a similar size afford their clubs, even Hamilton do better and so does Inverness a town which also has a manufactured club.

Whoever owns the Toni Macaroni arena could do worse than flog it to ICT or Ayr Utd and move the club to a public park.

That would be like letting Gretna play their games in Motherwell, an absolute disaster!

As I said on an earlier post it takes generations for people to realise they are their local team, much as Livi have tried to encourage school kids to come along free, but to many families have strong ties with other teams, and would rather travel to Glasgow or Edinburgh to see other teams???

DTS
28-01-2018, 02:37 PM
Originally from East Lothian but lived in Livingston since the age of 7, all this fake club stuff is utter nonsense they might not get great attandences but that’s to be expected when 4 of the 5 biggest teams in the country play within an hour of the town, throw into the mix that they have had horendous owners over previous years and have been in the bottom 2 leagues a lot in the last ten years it’s no surprise. The club do a lot of great work for local kids in schools and youth teams and always look to bring youth and especially local youth players through the system.

Always wish them well other than when they play us and hope they keep this form up and get up in the play offs, they play good football and always came out and played at ER when we were in the championship.

The argument about the under soil heating is interesting, the talk round the town that I’ve heard come from a director is that it costs 5k to turn it on and they simply can’t afford that.