PDA

View Full Version : Off the Ball

SideBurns
27-01-2018, 05:53 PM
I've got to say, I still find it entertaining and, at least, run by two guys who support provincial teams. At one stage tonight, Tam pulled up a Jambo who texted to congratulate 'Well on winning the Champions League given they way their fans celebrated; Tam responded by saying 'Well couldnae have won the Euro trophy since Herts obviously did last week!

Something they brought up (cannae even mind what it was, as I'm now consumed with the image that it provoked) reminded me of Wallace Mercer addressing the Hearts support post match at Dens Park in '86. Wallace received a huge round of applause when he grabbed a scarf so auld it wisnae so much maroon & white as broon & a lighter shade of broon, then proceeded to wave it about in the style of a man who had never stood on a terracing in his puff. Still the funniest thing I've ever seen on the telly (dinnae ken if it's available on youtube).

chrisski33
27-01-2018, 06:04 PM
Terrible programme and embarrassing

bod
27-01-2018, 06:13 PM
Always listen to it in the car down to ER

SideBurns
Ah well, we're all entitled to our opinions. Near the end, they mentioned a guy who had worked at Aberdeen Airport in 1974 - Hibs had flown up there for a league gemme (crazy but true, apparently), and Pat Stanton had given him a fiver tip. Personally, I like all those daft wee stories but no everyone's cup of tea.

NAE NOOKIE
Ach ... I can understand their anger, it must be infuriating to lose a goal that didn't cross the line. :lolyam:

Mantis Toboggan
27-01-2018, 06:15 PM
I've got to say, I still find it entertaining and, at least, run by two guys who support provincial teams. At one stage tonight, Tam pulled up a Jambo who texted to congratulate 'Well on winning the Champions League given they way their fans celebrated; Tam responded by saying 'Well couldnae have won the Euro trophy since Herts obviously did last week!

Something they brought up (cannae even mind what it was, as I'm now consumed with the image that it provoked) reminded me of Wallace Mercer addressing the Hearts support post match at Dens Park in '86. Wallace received a huge round of applause when he grabbed a scarf so auld it wisnae so much maroon & white as broon & a lighter shade of broon, then proceeded to wave it about in the style of a man who had never stood on a terracing in his puff. Still the funniest thing I've ever seen on the telly (dinnae ken if it's available on youtube).

From the team who celebrate draws at Easter Road like the second coming of Christ!

Borderhibbie76
27-01-2018, 06:17 PM
From the team who celebrate draws at Easter Road like the second coming of Christ!Or like they've just won the world war
...AGAIN 🤣🤣

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

stoneyburn hibs
27-01-2018, 06:29 PM
It's your choice to listen to it, I like it.
It now cracks me up that the (almost) same posters have said it's Raphael for months on end, how would you know?

Tornadoes70
27-01-2018, 06:42 PM
Normally I'm critical of the show but it wasn't too bad tonight to be fair. There was a piece alleging the yams halfway line being off center to their new stand. Only the yams could build a new stand that soaks the press when raining, has seated areas where you can't see one set of goals and is also said to be off-center to the halfway line among other things.

:greengrin

Mon the Cabbage!!

CMurdoch
27-01-2018, 06:46 PM
Ah well, we're all entitled to our opinions. Near the end, they mentioned a guy who had worked at Aberdeen Airport in 1974 - Hibs had flown up there for a league gemme (crazy but true, apparently), and Pat Stanton had given him a fiver tip. Personally, I like all those daft wee stories but no everyone's cup of tea.

Pat gave the fiver to a kid who helped lug the football gear

Joe6-2
27-01-2018, 06:48 PM
Ach ... I can understand their anger, it must be infuriating to lose a goal that didn't cross the line. :lolyam:

No as infuriating as losing one that DID cross the line!

Pretty Boy
27-01-2018, 06:48 PM
I like Off The Ball. It does exactly what it says on the tin, petty and ill informed, and it’s all the better for it. Cosgrove is a smart guy and was one of the few to break ranks during the Rangers saga. Cowan is the reactionary, ‘daft’ counterweight.

For all they have a wee dig at the game they also talk up areas of Scottish football the likes of Sportsound don’t. Lower leagues always get plenty coverage and for the most part the slaggings are light hearted and in good fun.

Part of my Saturday tradition and I hope it’s around for a long time yet.

Drumlanrig
27-01-2018, 06:58 PM
I like Off The Ball. It does exactly what it says on the tin, petty and ill informed, and it’s all the better for it. Cosgrove is a smart guy and was one of the few to break ranks during the Rangers saga. Cowan is the reactionary, ‘daft’ counterweight.

For all they have a wee dig at the game they also talk up areas of Scottish football the likes of Sportsound don’t. Lower leagues always get plenty coverage and for the most part the slaggings are light hearted and in good fun.

Spot on!

Me too.

CMurdoch
27-01-2018, 07:06 PM

Saturday =
1000 hrs The Huey Morgan show on BBC Radio 6
1200 hrs Off The Ball
1400 hrs Off to Easter Road or Sportscene: Open all mikes
1730 hrs Off The Ball Part 2

Got to love a Saturday

SuperAllyMcleod
27-01-2018, 07:10 PM

Totally agree, I download both episodes and then catch up with it through the week. It’s not always brilliant but at least it is never Old Firm centric.

CMurdoch
27-01-2018, 07:23 PM
Totally agree, I download both episodes and then catch up with it through the week. It’s not always brilliant but at least it is never Old Firm centric.

It is massively flawed but still a good listen

penihibs
27-01-2018, 07:30 PM
Or like they've just won the world war
...AGAIN 🤣🤣

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Don't mention the War !!

Carheenlea
27-01-2018, 07:46 PM
I get more entertainment listening to Off the Ball than Sportsound. Two genuine fans who's narrative is from the stands as opposed to the press box.

SideBurns
27-01-2018, 07:50 PM
I can echo most of the replies - it's a self-deprecating, daft programme but a good laugh and although we're maybe no in the mood furrit if Hibs have lost it can provide light relief and remind us, in many ways, why we love fitba.

Talking of humour - I noticed Craig Levein seemed to have lost his at full-time. What's wrong lad - no up for the banter tonight? No "almost hoping the ball hadn't crossed the line" this week??

HibbiesandtheBaddies
27-01-2018, 08:51 PM

Couldn't agree more :agree:

HibbiesandtheBaddies
27-01-2018, 08:58 PM
Saturday =
1200 hrs Off The Ball

Got to love a Saturday

:agree: then back onto Radio 6 for Craig Charles Funk and Soul...

Too long in the tooth for gaun up the dancin anymair.

Billy Whizz
27-01-2018, 09:53 PM
One of the best shows on radio. My wife listens to it every week, and she’s no interest in football, or ever been to a professional match

superfurryhibby
27-01-2018, 10:00 PM
Despite it's flaws, Off the Ball is 4 real. Like most 0f ma women, you'll only love it when it's gone ( away with the guy from the IT helpdesk, lol).

The Pointer
27-01-2018, 10:10 PM

Agree. When you live beyond the Styx, it's compulsive listening as there's always something to get your thought processes going, have a laugh about and they're pretty negative towards the Ugly Sisters. I got my staircase painted today listening to it. (First coat.)

:agree:

hibsitis
27-01-2018, 10:12 PM
It is massively flawed but still a good listen
What are its massive flaws?

The Pointer
27-01-2018, 10:25 PM
Saturday =
1200 hrs Off The Ball

Got to love a Saturday

Can't believe that's the same routine as my own!

A man of taste obviously. :agree:

hibby6270
27-01-2018, 10:29 PM
What are its massive flaws?

Doesn’t live up to its promise of sending out a prize.

Still waiting for an Off the Ball t-shirt I won for coming up with the best “fish related comment” after we were so far ahead in the league in 1999 that the championship was in the bag for us - so to speak.
(Mr Dick was on the show that day)

Still listen in though. I’ve forgiven them!!

OsloHibs
27-01-2018, 10:34 PM
I tune in if I'm home on a Saturday afternoon, I don't get to listen to much about Scottish football and I enjoy this show. Stuart likes the Hibs!

Jones28
27-01-2018, 11:06 PM

👍👍👍👍

FilipinoHibs
27-01-2018, 11:09 PM
I tune in if I'm home on a Saturday afternoon, I don't get to listen to much about Scottish football and I enjoy this show. Stuart likes the Hibs!

Living abroad for three years so listen every night then Hibs TV. Dancing on a Friday night!

The Pointer
27-01-2018, 11:12 PM
They don't take phone calls any more you'll notice.

A few years ago I phoned in with a story about my experiences of flying into Houston Airport on my way to the World Cup in Mexico '86.

We flew with Caledonian Airways (remember them) from Gatwick and got first class treatment all the way (champers an' aw!) and were queueing up to go through immigration when we saw several Scottish fans being led away by the cops in manacles.

We later found out they'd been on another flight and had been on the bevvy big time, things had happened involving a young lady who, if I remember the chat, had been flying over to meet her fiance and had joined in with the young gallants. The Mile High Club may possibly have been the objective. There were also suggestions of climbing into the overhead lockers, but they were eventually released and allegedly told not to bother trying to enter the States again.

One of the participants was allegedly (which is funny as there was some chat on today about using the word 'allegedly', allegedly) one of the co-hosts and I got short shrift, although he did refer to the 'Houston Seven'.

The President's Club was probably mild in comparison.

Bay Area Hibees
27-01-2018, 11:24 PM
LIsten to in in USA. Enjoy it.