PDA

View Full Version : Third Lanark - BBC Alba 9pm Saturday

Scorrie
27-01-2018, 07:32 AM
Saw this advertised for tonight at 9pm. Looks really interesting for us historians of Scottish fitbaw about Third Lanark FC and their demise. same production company who did the Famous Five I think so should be good.

lord bunberry
27-01-2018, 07:52 AM
Saw this advertised for tonight at 9pm. Looks really interesting for us historians of Scottish fitbaw about Third Lanark FC and their demise. same production company who did the Famous Five I think so should be good.
I’m going to record it and watch it tomorrow. I went to Cathrin Park on one of our Hampden trips. It’s an eerie place being in an abandoned football stadium.

MSK
27-01-2018, 07:56 AM
Wont get back from Berlin until after 10pm tonight, will it be available on catch up ?

JK Rolling
27-01-2018, 07:59 AM
Wont get back from Berlin until after 10pm tonight, will it be available on catch up ?

Off topic - Berlin is a fantastic city.

Scorrie
27-01-2018, 08:34 AM

Should be on the BBC iPlayer later, most Alba stuff is 👍

MSK
27-01-2018, 09:05 AM
Should be on the BBC iPlayer later, most Alba stuff is 👍Excellent, cheers mate 👍

Pretty Boy
27-01-2018, 09:10 AM
Alba have produced 3 or 4 top class documentaries about Scottish football. The Famous 5 and Jock Stein programmes immediately spring to mind.

The Harp
27-01-2018, 10:47 AM
Looking forward to this tonight and will record it. One of the sad stories of Scottish is the demise of Third Lanark. I'm old enough to have visited Cathkin several times following Hibs. Can also remember playing them in a league game at Hampden when repair work was taking place at Cathkin.
Always mean to visit what's left of the stadium but haven't done it yet, must be an eerie feeling.

lord bunberry
27-01-2018, 11:05 AM
Looking forward to this tonight and will record it. One of the sad stories of Scottish is the demise of Third Lanark. I'm old enough to have visited Cathkin several times following Hibs. Can also remember playing them in a league game at Hampden when repair work was taking place at Cathkin.
Always mean to visit what's left of the stadium but haven't done it yet, must be an eerie feeling.
You should definitely visit it. I’m not old enough to have been there when it was still in use, but if you have it will be even more special. The pitch is still there and there was a game going on when I was there.

Glory Lurker
27-01-2018, 11:59 AM
When I was young, I liked the thought that a team from Lanark had been such a big deal in Scottish football. I could well have been in my teens before I discovered the disappointing truth!

I don’t know much more about them now, so will definitely have a look at this.

The Harp
27-01-2018, 12:34 PM
You should definitely visit it. I’m not old enough to have been there when it was still in use, but if you have it will be even more special. The pitch is still there and there was a game going on when I was there.

Thanks LB, I really must visit it. Have good memories of games there. Never had any bother with Third's fans back in the day, unlike many of our trips to Ibrox, Firhill, and to a lesser extent, Parkhead.

Famous Fiver
27-01-2018, 03:32 PM
Hilley, Harley and Gray. Great forward trio.

Nowhere near the Famous Five but miles better than Conn, Bauld and Wardhaugh from the other side of the city.

Ah, the good old days.........

Leithenhibby
27-01-2018, 03:44 PM
Alba have produced 3 or 4 top class documentaries about Scottish football. The Famous 5 and Jock Stein programmes immediately spring to mind.

Purple TV :aok: Promises to be a good Doc, if their previous coverage is anything to go by.

https://twitter.com/purpleTV1/status/950306086631780352

Weststandwanab
27-01-2018, 05:28 PM

Repeated on Friday 2nd February at 9 p.m.

jgl07
27-01-2018, 05:28 PM
Hilley, Harley and Gray. Great forward trio.

Nowhere near the Famous Five but miles better than Conn, Bauld and Wardhaugh from the other side of the city.

Ah, the good old days.........
I remember watching Alex Harley and Matt Gray playing for Manchester City.

Harley was a sensation in his only season for City even though they ended up being relegated. He scored 32 goals in all competitions. with City going down he moved to Birmingham City who had been promoted. He did not maintain his form and moved on to Dundee, Portadown, and Cape Town City with little success and was working as a hotel porter when he died in Birmingham aged 33. A very sad situation.

Gray had a decent spell with City while Hilley went to Newcastle United and later Nottingham Forest.

Strangely both Dave Hilley and Matt Gray also ended up playing in South Africa.

MSK
27-01-2018, 05:29 PM
Repeated on Friday 2nd February at 9 p.m.Cheers mate 👍

lapsedhibee
27-01-2018, 06:29 PM

Not terribly uncommon at the time. Alan Gordon and Willie Hamilton played there in the sixties.

DarrenSQH
27-01-2018, 06:47 PM
I sat in Cathkin Park gutted after the 1-0 semi loss to Falkirk thinking I would never see us win the cup.

Funny how i look back on a bad memory fondly now.

hibby6270
27-01-2018, 10:55 PM
Repeated on Friday 2nd February at 9 p.m.

Cheers mate 👍

Also on Sunday 28th January @ 10 pm according to my Virgin TV planner.
The Fri 2nd Feb showing is also at 10 pm - not 9 pm.:thumbsup:

Seekyit
28-01-2018, 01:18 PM

Thanks for the shout on this one, thoroughly enjoyed watching that. I must confess I knew very little about Third Lanark.

Waxy
28-01-2018, 02:50 PM
Cathkin park where Hibs became the first Eastern Scottish team to win the Scottish cup back a few year ago in 1887

ACLeith
28-01-2018, 03:05 PM
I sat in Cathkin Park gutted after the 1-0 semi loss to Falkirk thinking I would never see us win the cup.

Funny how i look back on a bad memory fondly now.

I have better memories. I visited after the DU semi 2 years ago. Took a few pics similar to those in the programme.

I remember seeing them in the 50s when I started going to games. I was always fascinated by goalkeepers and had a memory of Jockie Robertson being a wee guy who still made a fantastic fingertip save over the bar at ER down the slope. Nice to have my boyhood memory confirmed!

Nowadays, the crook Hiddleston would have less chance of getting away with it. Greater exposure now to what was going on and tougher rules (sometimes adhered to). Can't really think of anyone else who tried to use a football club for dodgy purposes and resorted latterly to dealing in cash :cb:devil:

stu in nottingham
28-01-2018, 03:18 PM
I remember watching Alex Harley and Matt Gray playing for Manchester City.

Harley was a sensation in his only season for City even though they ended up being relegated. He scored 32 goals in all competitions. with City going down he moved to Birmingham City who had been promoted. He did not maintain his form and moved on to Dundee, Portadown, and Cape Town City with little success and was working as a hotel porter when he died in Birmingham aged 33. A very sad situation.

Gray had a decent spell with City while Hilley went to Newcastle United and later Nottingham Forest.

I watched Dave Hilley playing at Forest, he probably played around 80-odd times. His time there overlapped with Joe Baker. He was a decent forward.

heretoday
28-01-2018, 03:47 PM
August 1963 and I saw young Jimmy O'Rourke score with a header in a 3-0 win at ER.
Playing for Thirds, Joe Davis at left back and on the left wing Ally Mcleod, who was part-time while he worked as an analytical chemist.
No thoughts of Argentina then!

lapsedhibee
28-01-2018, 04:25 PM
August 1963 and I saw young Jimmy O'Rourke score with a header in a 3-0 win at ER.
Playing for Thirds, Joe Davis at left back and on the left wing Ally Mcleod, who was part-time while he worked as an analytical chemist.
No thoughts of Argentina then!

Joe Davis still with Thirds in 1964 here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbK883HSNz4) easily dealing with Jimmy Johnstone in the early minutes. At 7:00 John Hughes attempts to break the Thirds' right-back's leg - no foul, not spoken to. :rolleyes:

heretoday
28-01-2018, 05:52 PM
Joe Davis still with Thirds in 1964 here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbK883HSNz4) easily dealing with Jimmy Johnstone in the early minutes. At 7:00 John Hughes attempts to break the Thirds' right-back's leg - no foul, not spoken to. :rolleyes:
Great action! I like the look of Paterson the no 10 of Thirds. And Johnstone if Celtic is OK too!

Lancs Harp
28-01-2018, 08:05 PM
Just a heads up as someone posted earlier its on Alba again tonight at 10.

Lancs Harp
28-01-2018, 10:01 PM
Thoroughly enjoyable piece apart from the sad story it portrays. Did Scotland and England ever play each other there when it was Hampden Park 2?

Aim Here
28-01-2018, 10:10 PM
Thoroughly enjoyable piece apart from the sad story it portrays. Did Scotland and England ever play each other there when it was Hampden Park 2?

Not seen the program, but if you mean Cathkin Park, Wikipedia tells me there were two Scotland internationals played there, vs England and Wales in March 1884, before Hampden was even Hampden.

Craigyno1
29-01-2018, 07:43 AM
Walked across it with my 2 sons and Peter Cormack and his son and Grandson before our famous Scottish Cup Final Day. He was telling us about the times he scored on that pitch many years before! Is a hidden gem of Scottish football and amazing to see.

MSK
29-01-2018, 08:06 AM
Walked across it with my 2 sons and Peter Cormack and his son and Grandson before our famous Scottish Cup Final Day. He was telling us about the times he scored on that pitch many years before! Is a hidden gem of Scottish football and amazing to see.Took a wee trip to Cathkin Park with my Daughters a couple of days before our Scottish cup final win, stood on the terraces, it was an eerie feeling, to think at one time 30/40 thousand odd used to stand on those terraces, really enjoyed the programme on Alba.

CMurdoch
29-01-2018, 12:42 PM
Watched it on the iplayer.
Was a good if sad story.

Hamish
29-01-2018, 12:52 PM
Good job there was no Hibs.net in 1961 when Thirds beat us 6-1 to reach 100 goals for the season.

Keith_M
29-01-2018, 12:58 PM
Apparently, Third Lanark played a Scottish Cup Semi-Final against Dundee at ER in the 50s. I think there's some footage online.

stu in nottingham
29-01-2018, 01:39 PM
Apparently, Third Lanark played a Scottish Cup Semi-Final against Dundee at ER in the 50s. I think there's some footage online.

I think they showed a short clip of that during the documentary, also a brief clip showing Last Minute Reilly.

McrHibee
29-01-2018, 02:36 PM
Really good documentary, with some fine old footage of Easter Road. But what a terrible story. You could still see how much it hurt the old fans and players when they look back at what happened. I actually wrote a story as editor of the FC United fanzine about Thirds last year, and will definitely have to visit the old ground on my next trip to Glasgow.