PDA

View Full Version : National Stadium - Sportsound - astonished!

JohnMcM
25-01-2018, 07:36 PM
Just listened to part of the Sportsound discussion tonight. In short, it was about where to go if Hampden is dropped by the SFA.

Lots of differing views as you would expect.

One suggestion was Murrayfield. I was astonished to hear Chic Young on national radio, say, "It would be better for Scottish football to give the money to the bigot brothers and use their stadiums". Unbelievable bias!

Another point of his was that anywhere else would make it difficult for fans to attend Scotland's matches.:confused:

On the same topic, personally, I wouldn't be surprised to see the bigots get the nod. Sevco need the money.

Future17
25-01-2018, 07:47 PM
I was astonished to hear Chic Young on national radio, say, "It would be better for Scottish football to give the money to the bigot brothers and use their stadiums".

I would also be astonished if he said that, but for different reasons.

Green Badger
25-01-2018, 08:00 PM
I would also be astonished if he said that, but for different reasons.

I don't think he was repeating it verbatim..

Frazerbob
25-01-2018, 08:14 PM
Just listened to part of the Sportsound discussion tonight. In short, it was about where to go if Hampden is dropped by the SFA.

One suggestion was Murrayfield. I was astonished to hear Chic Young on national radio, say, "It would be better for Scottish football to give the money to the bigot brothers and use their stadiums". Unbelievable bias!

Another point of his was that anywhere else would make it difficult for fans to attend Scotland's matches.:confused:

On the same topic, personally, I wouldn't be surprised to see the bigots get the nod. Sevco need the money.

He also said he wants to stay at Hampden, as they all did. His point was that he’d rather the money stayed in football than go to rugby.

BroxburnHibee
25-01-2018, 08:19 PM
Personally I think the SFA want to rebuild it especially behind the goals.

That's what I think will happen.

Ozyhibby
25-01-2018, 08:25 PM
He also said he wants to stay at Hampden, as they all did. His point was that he’d rather the money stayed in football than go to rugby.

There would be more money going into football by using Murrayfield than staying at Hampden. That’s why it’s under discussion. The higher attendances possible and shared costs of using Murrayfield make it the best option. Semi finals can also go to Easter Road, Tynecastle or the new Aberdeen stadium.
Hampden makes no financial sense and is a very poor stadium with poor transport access. Staying at Hampden would be a terrible decision so the SFA are bound to do exactly that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thecat23
25-01-2018, 08:27 PM

If that’s the case why not sell Hampden and build a purpose built stadium outside Glasgow. I don’t care where but Glasgow doesn’t need to be the home of Scottish football when it has two stadiums that hold over 50 thousand fans.

snooky
25-01-2018, 08:28 PM

Fair point if they stay in Dumpden.
Not fair if they aren't thinking about the fans outwith Glasgow & its burbs.
There should be a new national stadium built in say, the Stirling area. Central to the majority of the population.
If Hampden goes, it's odds on Greyskull or Darkheid with the former being the fav. (purely for masonic reasons) :wink:

Carheenlea
25-01-2018, 08:29 PM

That would be good and my preference. There is plenty of room to refurbish to a desired standad, if not plenty money.

Sioux

The SFA don't have the money. It would reduce capacity, and it couldn't be done on the cheap ala hertz!

Diclonius

Currently, the money goes to Queen's Park.

Ozyhibby
25-01-2018, 08:30 PM
Did anyone on the show put forward an argument for Hampden beyond tradition?

Tornadoes70
25-01-2018, 08:45 PM
That would be good and my preference. There is plenty of room to refurbish to a desired standad, if not plenty money.

Rebuilding the stands behind both goals at Hampden would be my first choice also. Second would be building a brand new Hampden or a new national stadium fit for purpose elsewhere. We must have a national football stadium, not to have one would be criminal.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

Pretty Boy
25-01-2018, 09:01 PM
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. The SFA will buy a stadium from Qatar after the 2022 WC and that will be rebuilt on the site of the current Hampden.

There will be a short term extension signed to the lease in the meantime.

ancient hibee
25-01-2018, 09:02 PM
If that’s the case why not sell Hampden and build a purpose built stadium outside Glasgow. I don’t care where but Glasgow doesn’t need to be the home of Scottish football when it has two stadiums that hold over 50 thousand fans.
Even the SFA wouldn’t try to sell Hampden as they don’t own it.

Firestarter
25-01-2018, 09:15 PM
They can't afford to match Northern Ireland's wages to get a guy who could make us millions reaching the Euros or worlds but want to ***** it on Hampden? Doesn't make sense and I want to stay there as our stadium since 2 years ago.

Ozyhibby
25-01-2018, 09:16 PM
The SFA have no money for any kind of rebuilding work. It will be Hampden as is, or move out.

Pretty Boy
25-01-2018, 09:24 PM
The SFA have no money for any kind of rebuilding work. It will be Hampden as is, or move out.

Is part of the reason for the ongoing discussion not that Hampden as is isn’t an option? Sure the SFA have said it requires multi million pound investment in the next few years to bring it up to standard. Granted that could just be to put pressure on Queens Park to do the deal on the SFAs terms.

Sammy7nil
25-01-2018, 09:24 PM
Did anyone on the show put forward an argument for Hampden beyond tradition?

No it was all about nostalgia

Danderhall Hibs
25-01-2018, 09:29 PM

Wow - that’s not going to go down well!

wookie70
25-01-2018, 09:32 PM
I switched off when the spokesman for Hampden Ltd said one of it's virtue was its neutrality. Right enough with a Celtic and Rangers end that are always adhered to and its location in the city of the two biggest clubs. It might be neutral for Beyonce but not for the Bigots.

monarch
25-01-2018, 09:47 PM
The panel consisted of Chic Young, Archie Macpherson, James McFadden, Steven Thompson and a guy from Queens Park with Kenny MacIntyre as host. All from in or around Glasgow.

Hardly a surprise there then that they favoured Hampden. Would have been nice to have some views from east, north and south being the heartlands of the Scotland support.

Mr White
25-01-2018, 09:48 PM
Who owns Hampden Ltd and where does any profit actually go? Presumably a fair chunk goes on maintenance etc but are there directors of Hampden Ltd and/or Queens Park FC pocketing a chunk of cash each time a Scotland match or a cup tie is staged there?

If so I don't see how the "let's keep the money in Scottish football" argument really applies to the current arrangement.

Hibs Class
25-01-2018, 09:50 PM

Out of interest, are there many other countries with a national stadium in one of their provincial cities rather than the capital, or is Scotland an anomaly?

Mr White
25-01-2018, 09:53 PM
Out of interest, are there many other countries with a national stadium in one of their provincial cities rather than the capital, or is Scotland an anomaly?

Not sure but Scotland is surely in a minority of countries whose capital is not it's largest city so there's an anomaly right there regardless of whether a national stadium exists or where it's situated :greengrin

Sammy7nil
25-01-2018, 10:35 PM
Not sure but Scotland is surely in a minority of countries whose capital is not it's largest city so there's an anomaly right there regardless of whether a national stadium exists or where it's situated :greengrin

Biggest is not always best ask Hearts fans :greengrin:wink:

green&left
25-01-2018, 10:42 PM
There would be more money going into football by using Murrayfield than staying at Hampden. That’s why it’s under discussion. The higher attendances possible and shared costs of using Murrayfield make it the best option. Semi finals can also go to Easter Road, Tynecastle or the new Aberdeen stadium.
Hampden makes no financial sense and is a very poor stadium with poor transport access. Staying at Hampden would be a terrible decision so the SFA are bound to do exactly that.

There are two train stations within 15 minutes walk? Its also only a mile or two from the motorway.

Still think all this chat is the SFA trying to call a bluff with Hampden Park Ltd or whoever owns it. Let's face it, with the huns currently sitting 2nd and Scottish football likely to return to "normal" with the Glasgow 2 likely to dominate again in the next few years it makes zero sense to play at either Ibrox, Parkhead or Murrayfield for games involving them two.

jacomo
25-01-2018, 10:48 PM
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. The SFA will buy a stadium from Qatar after the 2022 WC and that will be rebuilt on the site of the current Hampden.

There will be a short term extension signed to the lease in the meantime.

That’s a good plan.

heretoday
25-01-2018, 11:11 PM
I wonder what the feeling of Murrayfield's administration would be about becoming the premier football stadium. They've hosted a fair amount of football in recent years but that doesn't necessarily mean they'd want the gig full-time.

brianmc
25-01-2018, 11:13 PM

Off the top of my head I'll give you the USA as an obvious example of a small Capital city (less than 700,000 people) v a larger provincial city like New York (population circa 8.5 million!).
Mind you, that's got hee haw to do with "soccer" 😂

Mr White
25-01-2018, 11:35 PM
Off the top of my head I'll give you the USA as an obvious example of a small Capital city (less than 700,000 people) v a larger provincial city like New York (population circa 8.5 million!).
Mind you, that's got hee haw to do with "soccer" 😂

Australia, New Zealand, Turkey and no doubt many others too . I didn't suggest Scotland was in any way unique... but it is quite unusual hence the word "minority" :greengrin

Ozyhibby
25-01-2018, 11:46 PM
I wonder what the feeling of Murrayfield's administration would be about becoming the premier football stadium. They've hosted a fair amount of football in recent years but that doesn't necessarily mean they'd want the gig full-time.

Murrayfield are bidding heavily for it. They have the best stadium in Scotland and want to put it to as much use as possible.
If this is about putting money into Scottish football then Murrayfield wins hands down. The extra 15,000 seats more than pays for the stadium rental. The massive corporate facilities at Murrayfield dwarf what they have at Hampden as well. The SFA would make a lot more money for football at Hampden.

SunshineOnLeith
26-01-2018, 12:29 AM
We must have a national football stadium, not to have one would be criminal.

Why?

Tornadoes70
26-01-2018, 12:31 AM
Why?

Scotland deserves a national football stadium no?

Mon the Cabbage!!!

SunshineOnLeith
26-01-2018, 12:34 AM

Mon the Cabbage!!!

Not sure what deserving has to do with it. Lots of countries that are much better at football than us don't have a national football stadium.

Tornadoes70
26-01-2018, 12:36 AM
Not sure what deserving has to do with it. Lots of countries that are much better at football than us don't have a national football stadium.

I think Scotland as a nation state deserves a national football stadium. You obviously don't, no problem.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

O'Rourke3
26-01-2018, 01:05 AM
There are two train stations within 15 minutes walk? Its also only a mile or two from the motorway.

Still think all this chat is the SFA trying to call a bluff with Hampden Park Ltd or whoever owns it. Let's face it, with the huns currently sitting 2nd and Scottish football likely to return to "normal" with the Glasgow 2 likely to dominate again in the next few years it makes zero sense to play at either Ibrox, Parkhead or Murrayfield for games involving them two.Indeed. When it takes an hour to queue outside the train stations or takes over 30 minutes for a bus to get on the motorway, considerably longer to get off in the morning for a semi final then the existence of infrastructure is not the same as it being able to cope. For concerts, parking requires a two mile walk or leaving work at mid day. Hampden is sold to us in the same way Scottish Football cannot survive without the two cheeks. Murrayfield is not the answer either but its a hell of a lot closer.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

monktonharp
26-01-2018, 01:07 AM
Murrayfield are bidding heavily for it. They have the best stadium in Scotland and want to put it to as much use as possible.
If this is about putting money into Scottish football then Murrayfield wins hands down. The extra 15,000 seats more than pays for the stadium rental. The massive corporate facilities at Murrayfield dwarf what they have at Hampden as well. The SFA would make a lot more money for football at Hampden.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkMurrayfield is definitely the short term answer.the Edinburgh bus system is one of the best, there is also a Tram stop next to the stadium, the Haymarket train station is closebye, the parking at the front of the stadium is better than Hampden, quite a few hotels and such very near. I would prefer a new build stadium, with proper facilities tied in, for all of the above but mainly in a central part of Scotland. Livi? Stirling? this side of Coatbridge even.

Firestarter
26-01-2018, 01:43 AM
Still no idea after what happened in our final and considering 2007 why any of u would want to take that special moment away from Hampden. It's their because it's history nationally and more important club wise. Sir David scores at Parkhead? Never as special. The history of me walking up the stairs as Stavrum for The sheep scored in the semi to Jackie Mac coming on for lubo, then there's the hearts matches, all undone at Hampden that day. Imagine all that then finally winning the cup at Ibrox? Nah you're okay. Hampden must stay for the simple reason even if we end up losing like we did the sheep and Celtic there was a different perception about the place that wasn't dread.

Ozyhibby
26-01-2018, 02:19 AM
Still no idea after what happened in our final and considering 2007 why any of u would want to take that special moment away from Hampden. It's their because it's history nationally and more important club wise. Sir David scores at Parkhead? Never as special. The history of me walking up the stairs as Stavrum for The sheep scored in the semi to Jackie Mac coming on for lubo, then there's the hearts matches, all undone at Hampden that day. Imagine all that then finally winning the cup at Ibrox? Nah you're okay. Hampden must stay for the simple reason even if we end up losing like we did the sheep and Celtic there was a different perception about the place that wasn't dread.

Yams seem to value their 1998 Scottish cup win as much as the others?
Spending money we don’t have on Hampden when we still don’t have proper indoor facilities around the country for kids is madness.
You don’t think future special moments won’t happen elsewhere? Of course they will.

Ozyhibby
26-01-2018, 02:28 AM
Murrayfield is definitely the short term answer.the Edinburgh bus system is one of the best, there is also a Tram stop next to the stadium, the Haymarket train station is closebye, the parking at the front of the stadium is better than Hampden, quite a few hotels and such very near. I would prefer a new build stadium, with proper facilities tied in, for all of the above but mainly in a central part of Scotland. Livi? Stirling? this side of Coatbridge even.

Building a massive new stadium at massive cost away from a major population centre will never happen. There are just not enough people there for those times when the SFA need a last minute walk up crowd.There is no infrastructure in these towns to deal with a massive stadium. No hotels, train links, road links. Imagine going to a stadium concert in Livingston and looking for a pub/club afterwards.
Part of the problem with Hampden is because we pay so much for it the SFA now try to use it as much as possible so Scottish cup semi finals are always there even though they are often less than half full. This costs the clubs taking part and also deprives teams like our potential extra revenue from renting them our stadium. It hurts Hibs. Same with less attractive internationals.

OsloHibs
26-01-2018, 03:14 AM

Mon the Cabbage!!!

Many countries have one national stadium that is used for everything. The rugby & football should have got together years ago to make one amazing stadium for both sports.

ekhibee
26-01-2018, 03:46 AM
Brazil? Australia? USA? I would've thought when it was West Germany they wouldn't have played their international games in Bonn (but I could be wrong).

Dashing Bob S
26-01-2018, 05:05 AM

Mon the Cabbage!!!

Doesn’t even deserve a national football team.

Tornadoes70
26-01-2018, 08:24 AM
Many countries have one national stadium that is used for everything. The rugby & football should have got together years ago to make one amazing stadium for both sports.

Its just not for me the renting of the national rugby stadium for our national sport which is football but if it happens so be it.

Doesn’t even deserve a national football team.

Appointing a quality manager would certainly help in that respect. Regan :confused:.

we are hibs
26-01-2018, 08:32 AM
Can anyone give any sort of reason for chic Young to still be on radio? He's an absolute bellend.

hibsbollah
26-01-2018, 08:59 AM
Can anyone give any sort of reason for chic Young to still be on radio? He's an absolute bellend.

Has anyone, ever, met someone who likes Chick Young?

Posh Swanny
26-01-2018, 09:25 AM
Yams seem to value their 1998 Scottish cup win as much as the others?
Spending money we don’t have on Hampden when we still don’t have proper indoor facilities around the country for kids is madness.
You don’t think future special moments won’t happen elsewhere? Of course they will.

Agreed. One of England's most special moments of the last 20 years... (England's only special moment of the last 20 years?) happened at Old Trafford with that David Beckham free-kick that took us to the World Cup.

Kato
26-01-2018, 09:29 AM
Imagine all that then finally winning the cup at Ibrox? Nah you're okay.

I'd love to see Hibs win the Cup again, if it were at Ibrox then all the better.

Firestarter
26-01-2018, 09:49 AM
I'd love to see Hibs win the Cup again, if it were at Ibrox then all the better.

Next time aye. That day was perfect though and Hampden was included in that.
Hearts won at Parkhead replying to oz, they wouldn't have near savoured what we did though.

Nakedmanoncrack
26-01-2018, 09:58 AM
Building a massive new stadium at massive cost away from a major population centre will never happen. There are just not enough people there for those times when the SFA need a last minute walk up crowd.There is no infrastructure in these towns to deal with a massive stadium. No hotels, train links, road links. Imagine going to a stadium concert in Livingston and looking for a pub/club afterwards.
Part of the problem with Hampden is because we pay so much for it the SFA now try to use it as much as possible so Scottish cup semi finals are always there even though they are often less than half full. This costs the clubs taking part and also deprives teams like our potential extra revenue from renting them our stadium. It hurts Hibs. Same with less attractive internationals.

People complain about Hampden transport links (nothing wrong with them, several train stations within short walk,multiple bus routes into centre etc) then suggest build an out of town stadium in the middle of nowhere - they really haven't thought it out.

Ozyhibby
26-01-2018, 10:03 AM
People complain about Hampden transport links (nothing wrong with them, several train stations within short walk,multiple bus routes into centre etc) then suggest build an out of town stadium in the middle of nowhere - they really haven't thought it out.

Having had to walk back to Glasgow city centre after the recent Stone Roses gig I would not say Hampden has good transport links. Nowhere near as easy to get in and out of as Murrayfield.
Building a new stadium outside Edinburgh or Glasgow is fantasy stuff as you say.

Firestarter
26-01-2018, 10:12 AM
Having had to walk back to Glasgow city centre after the recent Stone Roses gig I would not say Hampden has good transport links. Nowhere near as easy to get in and out of as Murrayfield.
Building a new stadium outside Edinburgh or Glasgow is fantasy stuff as you say.

5 mins quicker but after Oasis at Murrayfield had to walk to bridges for a bus. Egg chasing is different as is hearts v Huns because they mingle but any final at the football would be a nightmare getting away from Murrayfield.

JimBHibees
26-01-2018, 10:17 AM

The Ross County final didnt get home until after 7 and that was to livingston. Absolute shambles to get away from.

JimBHibees
26-01-2018, 10:19 AM
Has anyone, ever, met someone who likes Chick Young?

Only Chick Young I think. :greengrin

Nakedmanoncrack
26-01-2018, 10:25 AM
The Ross County final didnt get home until after 7 and that was to livingston. Absolute shambles to get away from.

Don't know where you went then, we were into centre of Glasgow within half an hour of full time, as is always the case when I go to Hampden for Scotland or Hibs games. If people choose to join the queue at Mount Florida it will obviously take longer. By comparison after a Hibs home game it takes until after 6 for me to get home to Currie by public transport.

Ozyhibby
26-01-2018, 10:31 AM
Getting more Scotland games and semi finals at Easter Road would be a major plus point for me in ditching Hampden. The extra income would be very welcome in funding better players for Hibs.

hibstag
26-01-2018, 10:46 AM

The Rangers final I didn't get home till Wednesday....

eezyrider
26-01-2018, 11:42 AM

I've never had an issue with the transport links to or from Hampden.
After the Ross Count game I knew the queue just to get into the train station was going to be a nightmare. I walked up to the New Victoria hospital a short distance away and got a bus almost immediately. I was enjoying a pint in the Solid Rock about 15 minutes later. Sometimes a little bit of research before hand and a plan B help immensely.

EZ

Ozyhibby
26-01-2018, 11:44 AM
The Rangers final I didn't get home till Wednesday....

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

WeeRussell
26-01-2018, 12:20 PM
I've had many a few brilliant days and more bad days at Hampden watching Hibs & Scotland.

Not once have I walked out thinking things would have been better if Hampden was in a better state, or the game was at Murrayfield.

Baldy Foghorn
26-01-2018, 12:24 PM
Always found Hampden a dump, and a terrible place to get to and from (not even just for football, saw gigs there, and sat in car park for over two hours afterwards)

GoalsMcGinley
26-01-2018, 12:25 PM
David Gray could’ve scored the winner in the cup final down Seafield and I wouldn’t have care jot. Hampden is a dump and the sooner we stop having to travel through there for games the better!

Allant1981
26-01-2018, 12:30 PM
i must be one of the only ones who doesnt mind hampden, everytime we go there i get a wee buzz when you climb the stairs then look down onto the pitch, might just be because its hibs in a cup semi or final though, got the train a few times and had no issues getting to and from the stadium and the buses only park a 10 minute walk away so again not that much of a big deal for me

WeeRussell
26-01-2018, 12:33 PM
i must be one of the only ones who doesnt mind hampden, everytime we go there i get a wee buzz when you climb the stairs then look down onto the pitch, might just be because its hibs in a cup semi or final though, got the train a few times and had no issues getting to and from the stadium and the buses only park a 10 minute walk away so again not that much of a big deal for me

:aok:

Ozyhibby
26-01-2018, 12:47 PM
There is no doubt that Hampden has tradition and emotion on its side but that’s it really. Economically it’s bad for the game, taking money that could be spent on grassroots footy, coaching etc.
Keeping a massive stadium to use only 6/7/8 times a year would be madness even if it was a great stadium with great transport links. Hampden is a terrible stadium.

.Sean.
26-01-2018, 12:55 PM
Me too. Hampden is fine.

wookie70
26-01-2018, 01:08 PM
I don't like it as a stadium as most of the seats offer a poor view, the transport links are very poor and the place is a bit of a dump. I don't like that The Rangers and Celtic have their own ends and that it is in the city where our most successful clubs play and so they gain another advantage. I'm not too fussed about the history. When we won the semi at Tiny it felt just as good as the one at Hampden and at least it was easy to get home. Like another poster I wouldn't have cared where SDGs winner was scored. I felt like I was on another planet at that point anyway.

Murrayfield sounds like a good solution in the short term as it has all the makings of a world class stadium, fantastic transport links and with it being at the west of Edinburgh and close to Railway stations can cater pretty well for most supporters throughout Scotland. The atmosphere is great at the Rugby so would be even better at the big football games. The only real issue with Murrayfield is that the seats behind the goals will need binoculars but that is the same at Hampden too.

Tornadoes70
26-01-2018, 01:16 PM
Only Chick Young I think. :greengrin

He really embarrassed himself and demonstrated his blue nose hun bias when calling our mostly scenes of celebration 'disgraceful' etc contrary to when he himself allegedly invaded onto the Wembley pitch in 77. Hypocritical two faced little hun runt. I just wish there was some unbiased Scottish competition to the BBC sportsound/off the ball mostly yamhunnery.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

iwasthere1972
26-01-2018, 01:41 PM

Me too. Quite like Hampden. No trouble to get to and even the view from behind the goals, unless you're in the first few rows, is okay. A good day out depending on the result of course.

Carheenlea
26-01-2018, 01:45 PM
He really embarrassed himself and demonstrated his blue nose hun bias when calling our mostly scenes of celebration 'disgraceful' etc contrary to when he himself allegedly invaded onto the Wembley pitch in 77. Hypocritical two faced little hun runt. I just wish there was some unbiased Scottish competition to the BBC sportsound/off the ball mostly yamhunnery.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

There's no r in..

Oscar T Grouch
26-01-2018, 02:00 PM
There is an emotional attachment to Hampden for many, me included having seen the cup win there and a few memorable Scotland games. Like all stadiums, Easter Road included the traffic after a game is hellish, but for some reason it takes about 2 hours to clear traffic from Hamden after a game, whereas Murrayfield clears quicker with a higher attendance. The stadium itself is below par, when they refurbished it last time it was an opportunity not taken by the SFA to revamp it into a great 21st century stadium. Given the transport links in central Scotland it would make sense to build a new ground near these, a new junction off the M8, a new train station and a huge bus park would and could accommodate a 70K seater stadium that is easy to get to and from for the majority of the country and easy to get away from, it could be Scotlands premier arena for gigs and sporting events. The problem with that idea is lack of money for it and the necessity to include other organisations and the government to make it work. But that should not be a huge issue as Football is still Scotlands number one sport and Scottish football despite been run by a bunch of self serving idiots for a number of decades is still one of the highest attended sports in Europe per capita. The SFA are in a no win situation of their own making and I honestly see the national stadium being scrapped and the ugly sisters grounds being used for finals and the internationals touring the rest of the country, I think this as it would be the cheapest option, not the best option of course, but it all comes down to cash nowadays.

Keith_M
26-01-2018, 02:04 PM
I'd love to see a new national stadium built from scratch, but I can't see the bunch of incompetents currently in charge of our football having the nous to either plan it or force the money out of government*

* Before anyone asks 'why should they', they managed to find hundreds of millions for both the (West Ham) Olympic Stadium and for Wembley.

RIP Bestie
26-01-2018, 02:11 PM
Even the SFA wouldn’t try to sell Hampden as they don’t own it.

Hearts would

Tornadoes70
26-01-2018, 02:14 PM
There's no r in..

:greengrin

Absolutely.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

Phil MaGlass
26-01-2018, 02:32 PM
I think Murrayfield is the answer, great facilities, great transport in a GREAT city.
It would cut costs and at the same time allow our rugger chums and ourselves over the next few years to save a packet and maybe invest with the help of government money a brand new stadium on the site of M,field for the 2 sports, I think if we did share, there would be more chance of govt cash.
I love the feeling of walking up the stairs at Hampden and the wide panoramic view, but, times change we have to move on and we really should´nt be held hostage or even contemplating Hampden, it´s time to move on and invest with rugby in the future of both our sports.
I feel Scottish sport as a whole could benefit from sharing and making M,field an excellence centre for up and coming generations. A bit of forward thinking is all that is needed.
Oh and just to add IF Hampden is scrapped and the SFA decide to move the games between the bigot brothers, just watch Aberdeen fans and like minded boycotting Ibrox.

Cabbage East
26-01-2018, 03:01 PM
Don't have a huge problem with Hampden although I think the cup win has changed my view of the place to be perfectly honest.

Northernhibee
26-01-2018, 03:37 PM

Man has opinion, basically.

where'stheslope
26-01-2018, 03:58 PM

Hardly full time football! 4 cup semis, 2 cup finals and 6 or 7 Scotland games per season.

Most of the media will opt for Glasgow as the main studios and press are in the Glasgow area.

Most fans out with the Uglies, would jump at the chance to bring them over to the East of Scotland, and if your honest about it, nearly half the Uglies support would be nearer to Edinburgh than Glasgow!!!!

ancient hibee
26-01-2018, 04:05 PM
When Hampden was a 140000 stadium with mud terracing and railway sleepers behind the goals it was a great occasion to go there.Now it’s just another football stadium designed by someone who has only watched football (if at all) from the best seats in the house.

Is It On....
26-01-2018, 04:13 PM

Always love winding up weegies about the provincial aspect. 😎

Is It On....
26-01-2018, 04:24 PM
I switched off when the spokesman for Hampden Ltd said one of it's virtue was its neutrality. Right enough with a Celtic and Rangers end that are always adhered to and its location in the city of the two biggest clubs. It might be neutral for Beyonce but not for the Bigots.

Neutral in a way..as the predominant flags at their respective grounds are not Scottish anyway!! On a more serious note, before even thinking about the stadium, they should be focusing on restructuring the administration of our game which is awful and use money to invest in footballing facilities like Iceland. Anyone that set out a strategy in business that was building something with money you don't have in the hope things would get better would be canned.

hibbyfraelibby
26-01-2018, 04:31 PM
Time to "Dump the Dump"

Cup Finals at Darkheid, Ipox or Murrayfield dependent on the finalists.

Semi finals at Easter Road and New Pittodrie

Internationals at venue suited to quality of opposition.

Whatever is necessary but "Dump the Dumo" save money and plough it back into Scottish football rather than subsidise Quuens Park who put heehaw back into the professional game and develop nect to no talent out of the amatuers but who do let the weegie upper middle class blazers strut their stuff and pretend to be relevent.

Monts
26-01-2018, 04:57 PM
Time to "Dump the Dump"

Cup Finals at Darkheid, Ipox or Murrayfield dependent on the finalists.

Semi finals at Easter Road and New Pittodrie

Internationals at venue suited to quality of opposition.

Whatever is necessary but "Dump the Dumo" save money and plough it back into Scottish football rather than subsidise Quuens Park who put heehaw back into the professional game and develop nect to no talent out of the amatuers but who do let the weegie upper middle class blazers strut their stuff and pretend to be relevent.

So anytime we get to a semi final we have to go up to Aberdeen?

Beefster
26-01-2018, 05:35 PM
I've had many a few brilliant days and more bad days at Hampden watching Hibs & Scotland.

Not once have I walked out thinking things would have been better if Hampden was in a better state, or the game was at Murrayfield.

On the flip side, I’ve never walked out thinking ‘thank **** that was at Hampden or it wouldn’t be as good/special’.

Ozyhibby
26-01-2018, 05:36 PM

Or Tynecastle

hibbyfraelibby
26-01-2018, 06:10 PM

...unless we are drawn with Aberdeen of course. The Final venues could be used.

Point I am making is 20k+ Stadium. Proper sized pitch. No restricted view seats. Excellent Hospitality and transport links and no glass curtain walls hiding a library attached to the back af a poorly designed death trap.

NAE NOOKIE
26-01-2018, 06:15 PM
I pushed the idea ages ago that we might well inherit a stadium from Qatar after the world cup, as has been mentioned here already. After all giving the stadiums away to poor countries once the slave labour had finished building them and the tournament was over was one of the cornerstones of their bid ... why else have the SFA been kissing their arse for the last few years?

Even better ... the SFA along with the Scottish government, especially with the Scottish government, should publicly appeal to the Chinese to build us a stadium. Think of the embarrassment it would cause the UK government, hell the Chinese might even go for it just for the comedy value. After all they finance tons of infrastructure projects in Africa costing 10 X what a national stadium would cost purely for the political value to them :greengrin

Seriously though Hampden has had its day and I hate to say that. But so long as its owned by Queens Park the SFA shouldn't touch it with a bargepole, as I've said before the place would have been a crumbling ruin decades ago without Scotland internationals and cup semis and finals and the fact that Queens Park still control it and the SFA / SPFL don't is to my mind farcical. Every penny the place has attracted for renovations in my lifetime is because its used by the SFA and Scottish League as a national stadium, not because Queens park use it for games ... lets see how Queens Park get on if the SFA / SPFL do pull out, the place will fall apart within 10 years. IMO any negotiations the SFA enter into for future use of Hampden should be over control of the stadium, not on how much Queens Park are willing to reduce the rent by.

That aside it has to be Murrayfield, I don't think its a great football stadium but with 60,000 in it my opinion might change. Like every other non Old Firm fan I utterly baulk at the idea of the two richest clubs by miles in our game being given even more money from the games coffers by having internationals and cup finals divvied up between them. A Murrayfield shared between Rugby and football would ensure the stadiums future and its future development for decades to come ..... just so long as any agreement between the SRU and SFA didn't make the SFA nothing more than a simple tenant who would have to move international matches so that 7,000 folk could watch Edinburgh Rugby play bloody Harlequins or something.

The only sticking point is 60,000 knuckle draggers kicking **** out of each other up and down the M8 and in the posher parts of Edinburgh in the unfortunate event that they need the stadium for a semi or final ..... as usual the Ugly sisters are never the solution, always the bloody problem.

Tornadoes70
26-01-2018, 07:39 PM
I pushed the idea ages ago that we might well inherit a stadium from Qatar after the world cup, as has been mentioned here already. After all giving the stadiums away to poor countries once the slave labour had finished building them and the tournament was over was one of the cornerstones of their bid ... why else have the SFA been kissing their arse for the last few years?

Even better ... the SFA along with the Scottish government, especially with the Scottish government, should publicly appeal to the Chinese to build us a stadium. Think of the embarrassment it would cause the UK government, hell the Chinese might even go for it just for the comedy value. After all they finance tons of infrastructure projects in Africa costing 10 X what a national stadium would cost purely for the political value to them :greengrin

Seriously though Hampden has had its day and I hate to say that. But so long as its owned by Queens Park the SFA shouldn't touch it with a bargepole, as I've said before the place would have been a crumbling ruin decades ago without Scotland internationals and cup semis and finals and the fact that Queens Park still control it and the SFA / SPFL don't is to my mind farcical. Every penny the place has attracted for renovations in my lifetime is because its used by the SFA and Scottish League as a national stadium, not because Queens park use it for games ... lets see how Queens Park get on if the SFA / SPFL do pull out, the place will fall apart within 10 years. IMO any negotiations the SFA enter into for future use of Hampden should be over control of the stadium, not on how much Queens Park are willing to reduce the rent by.

That aside it has to be Murrayfield, I don't think its a great football stadium but with 60,000 in it my opinion might change. Like every other non Old Firm fan I utterly baulk at the idea of the two richest clubs by miles in our game being given even more money from the games coffers by having internationals and cup finals divvied up between them. A Murrayfield shared between Rugby and football would ensure the stadiums future and its future development for decades to come ..... just so long as any agreement between the SRU and SFA didn't make the SFA nothing more than a simple tenant who would have to move international matches so that 7,000 folk could watch Edinburgh Rugby play bloody Harlequins or something.

The only sticking point is 60,000 knuckle draggers kicking **** out of each other up and down the M8 and in the posher parts of Edinburgh in the unfortunate event that they need the stadium for a semi or final ..... as usual the Ugly sisters are never the solution, always the bloody problem.

I honestly do not think either of the ugly sisters will be playing in the Scottish leagues in their current make ups within the next decade if not sooner than than that.

The danger is that Murrayfield and the Oriam etc is all within Yam territory and they could capitalise on a West of Edinburgh type power-base. I don't like it one little bit.

In my opinion of course.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

ben johnson
26-01-2018, 10:22 PM

Nothing to stop us playing a semi at home. If it's ok for Sevco to play a semi at home 😳 then it's ok for us.

Ozyhibby
27-01-2018, 12:16 PM
SRU’s bid video for becoming the national football stadium.
https://youtu.be/zsDzdWDGakw

lucky
27-01-2018, 12:52 PM
Sharing Murrayfield is the best option, it bigger and has all the facilities needed for TV, corporate and fans. There’s no need to spend money redeveloping Hampden or building another stadium. Our national stadium doesn’t have to be based in Glasgow

Hibee87
27-01-2018, 12:58 PM
What are the arguments against murrayfield?

Ive seen some say the money should stay in football, but what money is re invested at the moment? Surley renting hamden costs the same or roughly the same a ls MF? Using parkheaf or ibrox again the money is going to one of them anyway?
As for transport what better place than MF? Trains from everywhere to waverly/haymarket and small walk or tram to doorstep of stadium. Its a no brainer for me.
I have to admit i do enjoy a trip to hampden for the day out but getting home (especially when you loose) is a nightmare.

Glory Lurker
27-01-2018, 01:15 PM
SRU’s bid video for becoming the national football stadium.

Difficult to argue with that, but not sure what the relevance of it being a gig venue is (and the thought of the OF doing the Murrayfield mile........ :panic:)

One thing that counts against Murrayfield for me is the seats at the north and south ends of the East and West stands. They’re lined up for the try zone (which is good, given it’s a rugby stadium!). Stick a football pitch in, and they’re lined up with a long run-off behind the goals. A lot of pretty rubbish seats as a result. Overall though probably less pretty rubbish seats compared to Hampden.

Ozyhibby
27-01-2018, 01:57 PM
What are the arguments against murrayfield?

Ive seen some say the money should stay in football, but what money is re invested at the moment? Surley renting hamden costs the same or roughly the same a ls MF? Using parkheaf or ibrox again the money is going to one of them anyway?
As for transport what better place than MF? Trains from everywhere to waverly/haymarket and small walk or tram to doorstep of stadium. Its a no brainer for me.
I have to admit i do enjoy a trip to hampden for the day out but getting home (especially when you loose) is a nightmare.

The money staying in football thing is a nonsense. Because of the extra 15,000 seats Murrayfield can generate more money for the SFA than they are paying to the SRU. They also have no ongoing maintenance costs or expensive upgrades to do like they would have at Hampden. So long as they can sell it out they are effectively getting a free stadium compared to what they have now. The hospitality suites and tents at Murrayfield are also able to generate far more cash than Hampden ever could as well as all the space they have for fan zones etc.
It should be the easiest decision in the world but it’s the SFA we are dealing with here.

Radium
27-01-2018, 02:17 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180127/84c9ab33c86c366cc056fb5e0dcbde5f.jpg

Celtic Park is by no means the perfect stadium it is presented as. Wouldn’t be met with this sight line at Murrayfield.

Pretty Boy
27-01-2018, 02:23 PM
Difficult to argue with that, but not sure what the relevance of it being a gig venue is (and the thought of the OF doing the Murrayfield mile........ :panic:)

One thing that counts against Murrayfield for me is the seats at the north and south ends of the East and West stands. They’re lined up for the try zone (which is good, given it’s a rugby stadium!). Stick a football pitch in, and they’re lined up with a long run-off behind the goals. A lot of pretty rubbish seats as a result. Overall though probably less pretty rubbish seats compared to Hampden.

Gigs are probably mentioned to show the size of crowd the infastructure can cope with and how the space around the ground can be utilised for pre and post event use.

Keith_M
27-01-2018, 02:33 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180127/84c9ab33c86c366cc056fb5e0dcbde5f.jpg

Celtic Park is by no means the perfect stadium it is presented as. Wouldn’t be met with this sight line at Murrayfield.

:agree:

There's also quite a few pillars near the back of the north stand (about 14, I think)

Ibrox has some hideously large pillars in the Main Stand as well, it's just that we don't give it much thought because it only affects the home support.

NorthNorfolkHFC
27-01-2018, 02:45 PM
It would be great if there was a home of two of our biggest national sports in one stadium.
It has excellent facilities and like the video says, transport links etc are the best.
No brainier. Hampden is a dump. Burger vans, shoddy location etc.
Compare that to surrounding bars at murrayfield with outdoor eating facilities at hampden

Nakedmanoncrack
27-01-2018, 08:10 PM
It would be great if there was a home of two of our biggest national sports in one stadium.
It has excellent facilities and like the video says, transport links etc are the best.
No brainier. Hampden is a dump. Burger vans, shoddy location etc.
Compare that to surrounding bars at murrayfield with outdoor eating facilities at hampden

What surrounding bars at Murrayfield?
There's much more in the environs of Hampden.

Ozyhibby
27-01-2018, 08:14 PM

There are bars in Murrayfield, Roseburn, Gorgie etc plus haymarket is a 20 min walk.
For rugby games they set up massive beer tents outside the stadium as well.

Steve-O
27-01-2018, 10:14 PM

Still think all this chat is the SFA trying to call a bluff with Hampden Park Ltd or whoever owns it. Let's face it, with the huns currently sitting 2nd and Scottish football likely to return to "normal" with the Glasgow 2 likely to dominate again in the next few years it makes zero sense to play at either Ibrox, Parkhead or Murrayfield for games involving them two.

It’s still a nightmare to get away from - two stations and a motorway are unable to cope with 52,000 people leaving at once. Last time I was there it took me 4 hours to get from Hampden back to Edinburgh as I had to walk from Hampden to Queen St and then wait in a massive queue for a train.

If at Murrayfield I’d be in Edinburgh city centre within 15-20 minutes with multiple transport options in all directions.

Celtic Park and Ibrox aren’t that great transport wise either IMO.

Diclonius
27-01-2018, 11:08 PM
Build a new, state-of-the-art stadium along the following lines:

Central location within an hours drive/public transport of most major settlements in the centre of the country, i.e. Forth Valley (Stirling/Falkirk etc)
Capacity of 70/80k - most Scotland games will fill that, as will cup finals that have at least one team out of the OF/us/Hearts/Aberdeen/Dundee teams (taking account of corporate seats etc)
Dedicated football stadium - i.e. stands close to the pitch
Build transport links (park and ride next to dedicated train station?) and/or a car park near to the stadium to make it easy to access
Use the stadium for cup finals/Scotland games only - semi finals can be held at other stadia (including ones with the OF - if they're drawn together in the semi final then tough, they either play at Murrayfield or one of them gets home advantage)

As a result, this will give us the following:

A modern stadium Scottish and European football can be proud of
Removes Old Firm "home" advantage and does away with the ridiculous "Celtic/Rangers end" tradition
We won't be diverting money to either Queen's Park or the SRU
A lot easier for non-Glasgow fans to get along to semi-finals. Aberdeen no longer have an excuse not to turn up!

Renfrew_Hibby
27-01-2018, 11:49 PM
That's all very good but Uefa/Fifa give as much attention to how many hotel rooms are within a certain distance as they do say other more obvious things. Any new stadium would require x amount of rooms nearby, quick access to airports ect. A stadium out with Glasgow or Edinburgh is a total non starter.

Ozyhibby
28-01-2018, 12:16 AM

Central location within an hours drive/public transport of most major settlements in the centre of the country, i.e. Forth Valley (Stirling/Falkirk etc)
Capacity of 70/80k - most Scotland games will fill that, as will cup finals that have at least one team out of the OF/us/Hearts/Aberdeen/Dundee teams (taking account of corporate seats etc)
Build transport links (park and ride next to dedicated train station?) and/or a car park near to the stadium to make it easy to access
Use the stadium for cup finals/Scotland games only - semi finals can be held at other stadia (including ones with the OF - if they're drawn together in the semi final then tough, they either play at Murrayfield or one of them gets home advantage)

Removes Old Firm "home" advantage and does away with the ridiculous "Celtic/Rangers end" tradition
A lot easier for non-Glasgow fans to get along to semi-finals. Aberdeen no longer have an excuse not to turn up!

With that capacity only old firm cup finals would sell out. And building a stadium is a complete non starter. The SFA are skint which is why they are taking pointless friendlys in South America. And building one outside of Edinburgh or Glasgow is complete fantasy. The infrastructure is just not there.
It would be cheaper to build that bridge to Ireland than everything your suggesting.

Carheenlea
28-01-2018, 11:05 AM
We walked back to city centre yesterday and it took about 45 minutes (felt longer in the wind and rain) and there didn't seem to be an abundance of public transport to choose from. Doesn't take much more time to walk to Hampden from city centre, which we have done on occasion.

SunshineOnLeith
28-01-2018, 11:12 AM

I'd be interested to see what murrayfield is like with the largest allowed dimensions of a football pitch marked out on it. When Hearts have been there it's been the Tynecastle pitch dimensions marked up.

BroxburnHibee
28-01-2018, 01:58 PM
After watching the SRU video it seems to me that its the most obvious solution.

I just don't see the SFA wanting to move from Glasgow.

Nakedmanoncrack
28-01-2018, 08:53 PM

Hampden with multiple train stations nearby is criticised for transport links, yet you want to build the ultimate out of town stadium that would be horrendous to get to and from, and have zero amenities, places to eat drink etc nearby. Presumably you thought moving our stadium to a field at Straiton was a great idea.

Haymaker
28-01-2018, 09:07 PM
I'd be interested to see what murrayfield is like with the largest allowed dimensions of a football pitch marked out on it. When Hearts have been there it's been the Tynecastle pitch dimensions marked up.

Murrayfield pitch would be about 120x70m so it would be fine for football

RedHibby
28-01-2018, 09:08 PM
Murrayfield is a no brainer but the SFA just can not contemplate not having the games in Glasgow. Blinded by their love of everything bigot brothers.

Zondervan
29-01-2018, 08:37 AM
Hampden with multiple train stations nearby is criticised for transport links, yet you want to build the ultimate out of town stadium that would be horrendous to get to and from, and have zero amenities, places to eat drink etc nearby. Presumably you thought moving our stadium to a field at Straiton was a great idea.

Hampden has stations nearby, but they are just satellite stations that take you back to Glasgow Central, which only really has links west and south.

Haymarket on the other hand has direct links to every city and major town across the whole of Scotland and is only a 20 minute walk or 5 minute bus/tram journey from Murrayfield.

I have no idea how Murrayfield copes with cars and supporters buses currently, but I guess with proper traffic management in place you could clear things pretty quickly along the Corstorphine/Chesser corridors.

Murrayfield in my opinion wins on transport links, and also on availability of boozers within a 15-20 minute walk from stadium.

Totally agree though on an out of town stadium. Has to be in Edinburgh or Glasgow.

JimBHibees
29-01-2018, 09:54 AM
The money staying in football thing is a nonsense. Because of the extra 15,000 seats Murrayfield can generate more money for the SFA than they are paying to the SRU. They also have no ongoing maintenance costs or expensive upgrades to do like they would have at Hampden. So long as they can sell it out they are effectively getting a free stadium compared to what they have now. The hospitality suites and tents at Murrayfield are also able to generate far more cash than Hampden ever could as well as all the space they have for fan zones etc.
It should be the easiest decision in the world but it’s the SFA we are dealing with here.

Totally agree however you just know that the self interest of the football authorities and biggest clubs will stop this happening. I dont think there is a viable reason for keeping Hampden an atrocious ground in a difficult to get to place.

Ozyhibby
29-01-2018, 10:01 AM
Totally agree however you just know that the self interest of the football authorities and biggest clubs will stop this happening. I dont think there is a viable reason for keeping Hampden an atrocious ground in a difficult to get to place.

I agree, we are almost guaranteed to stay at Hampden just because the SFA is failing in every aspect of its work just now. There is nothing they are getting right and I don’t see it changing anytime soon. Too many vested interests.
The reason Stewart Regan has lasted so long is that he has achieved absolutely nothing. Any half decent CEO who had been appointed there would have upset a few vested interests by now and therefore been forced out but Regan has successfully steered the do nothing, upset no one course.

One Day Soon
29-01-2018, 10:05 AM
I agree, we are almost guaranteed to stay at Hampden just because the SFA is failing in every aspect of its work just now. There is nothing they are getting right and I don’t see it changing anytime soon. Too many vested interests.
The reason Stewart Regan has lasted so long is that he has achieved absolutely nothing. Any half decent CEO who had been appointed there would have upset a few vested interests by now and therefore been forced out but Regan has successfully steered the do nothing, upset no one course.

Can't help feeling you're not far wrong here.

bigwheel
29-01-2018, 10:08 AM

there is a good point here...the whole governance approach set up by the SFA stifles challenge..because they are instructed by the member clubs, there is no real chance of innovation and challenge against the status quo coming from thew SFA or their CEO...The role should report to an independent governance, rather than the suits who runs our clubs..only then will you get action for the good of the game, rather than that of the existing clubs .

green&left
29-01-2018, 10:50 AM
After watching the SRU video it seems to me that its the most obvious solution.

I just don't see the SFA wanting to move from Glasgow.

SirDavidsNapper
29-01-2018, 10:53 AM
The national stadium should be the world class Murrayfield in Scotland's capital city. Simple as that.

Carheenlea
29-01-2018, 12:34 PM
The national stadium should be the world class Murrayfield in Scotland's capital city. Simple as that.

Murrayfield is a lot of things, but world class is not one of them.
A decent stadium, no more no less.

Colr
29-01-2018, 12:48 PM
Italy doesn’t have a national stadium.

Just move it around the existing stadia including Murrayfield.

JK Rolling
29-01-2018, 12:56 PM
Sharing Murrayfield is the best option, it bigger and has all the facilities needed for TV, corporate and fans. There’s no need to spend money redeveloping Hampden or building another stadium. Our national stadium doesn’t have to be based in Glasgow

This.

Might not agree with you all the time lucky but I'm 100% with you on this one.

I remember someone saying a while back, it might've been on here but I'm not sure, that of all the 1st world countries that have a National stadium we (the Scots) are the only ones where it is situated outside their capital city. Please feel free to correct me as it might be rubbish but it's always given me food for thought.

There is also the option of NO stadium and sharing the matches around the country but IMO there's a likelihood that the significant games would all end up back in Glasgow.

JimBHibees
29-01-2018, 03:01 PM
Italy doesn’t have a national stadium.

Just move it around the existing stadia including Murrayfield.

Same with Spain i think.

GreenNWhiteArmy
29-01-2018, 03:22 PM
I still think we'll extend the lease for Hampden.

Would love to see us move to Murrayfield though and the video they've produced makes it look like such a logical choice. Would be good for us to have our official end at the "National Stadium" i guess :-)

An alternative I'd like is for the SFA/Government to support the development of some of our larger small stadiums.

So fill the corners @ ER/Pittodrie/support the development of a single stadia in Dundee to take these capacities above 30k. That way the smaller internationals and cup finals involving "smaller clubs" can be taken around the country, then host the bigger ones that we know will fill any of Ibrox/Murrayfield or Parkhead

Ozyhibby
30-01-2018, 08:31 AM
Decision will be made today I think.
Another great chance to see how badly Scottish football is run.

Hibs Class
30-01-2018, 04:22 PM

Where did you hear this? I haven't seen any coverage today of the subject and a decision being due, but did have a recollection it was due about now.

Kojock
30-01-2018, 04:47 PM

They are having a meeting today to discuss the following three options seemingly.
1. Stay at Hampden
2. Move to Murrayfield
3. Joint proposal from Rangers and Celtic to share internationals, cup finals between them.

Although no decision will be made today my gut feeling is the GFA will go for option 3.

Diclonius
30-01-2018, 04:54 PM
If we stay at Hampden, are they going to renovate it (i.e. bigger capacity, goal-end stands not the same distance from the goal as the Moon) or just leave as is?

If it's the latter, I'd prefer Murrayfield.

green day
30-01-2018, 04:55 PM
They are having a meeting today to discuss the following three options seemingly.
1. Stay at Hampden
2. Move to Murrayfield
3. Joint proposal from Rangers and Celtic to share internationals, cup finals between them.

Although no decision will be made today my gut feeling is the GFA will go for option 3.

Course they will - why would they want to move out of Glasgow?

I mean its handy for everyone and if you dont like it you are just a moaning faced east coast ****er, eh - its just the banter lads, can you no take a joke, honest tae god you east coasters are a right bunch aye whingers, us weegies are all aboot the banter - any spare change fir a cup eh tea?

Sorry just turned into a weegie twat...........

.Sean.
30-01-2018, 05:04 PM
I still think we'll extend the lease for Hampden.

Would love to see us move to Murrayfield though and the video they've produced makes it look like such a logical choice. Would be good for us to have our official end at the "National Stadium" i guess :-)

An alternative I'd like is for the SFA/Government to support the development of some of our larger small stadiums.

So fill the corners @ ER/Pittodrie/support the development of a single stadia in Dundee to take these capacities above 30k. That way the smaller internationals and cup finals involving "smaller clubs" can be taken around the country, then host the bigger ones that we know will fill any of Ibrox/Murrayfield or ParkheadId rather not rattle about in a 30000 seater that would be at best most weeks 2/3 full and I'm sure Aberdeen fans would feel the same.

And why would the Dundee clubs be happy to share? Ground sharing with your biggest rivals, couldnt of anything worse. Plus neither of them will ever require a 20000 seater. Non starter.

I think we all know are Hampden lease will be extended. I like Hampden and folk greeting about sight lines etc need to dry your eyes. Think yourselves lucky you actually get to watch your team play there semi regularly as thousands of other supporters of different teams would kill for that. You're there for 90 mins every year or two if you're lucky. I'd rather play at somewhere historic like Hampden than give the Old Firm even more money or play in some new build in a swamp near Stirling.

Elephant Stone
30-01-2018, 05:14 PM
The view from low down behind the goals and at the corners is pretty shambolic for a national stadium. Other than that I think it's a brilliant stadium and I love going there. Hope we keep it.

3pm
30-01-2018, 05:52 PM
Staying put or Murrayfield.

Aim Here
30-01-2018, 06:03 PM

Here's a link, from the donkeys' mouths:
https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/scottish-fa-to-progress-hampden-park-and-bt-murrayfield-options/?rid=14258

Ozyhibby
30-01-2018, 06:15 PM
Hadn’t realised the Celtic Rangers bid was a joint one. Looks like the ‘old firm’ is not dead after all.
Good decision so far.

Hibs Class
30-01-2018, 06:30 PM

Best two options, still hope they ditch Hampden.

Onceinawhile
30-01-2018, 06:43 PM
Don't get the abuse hampden gets. Good views from all stands. Sure some of the lower down views aren't great, but that's the same anywhere. The transport links aren't perfect but they're plentiful.

Keith_M
30-01-2018, 06:47 PM
...for the choice of National Stadium, according to BBC News.

All other choices have been ruled out.

hibee
30-01-2018, 06:48 PM
How long did it take for them to work that one out, did they consider building new or is that out with the budget?

one day maybe...
30-01-2018, 06:48 PM
No choice, Murrayfeild for all our big games. Take the others around the nation

Craig_HFC
30-01-2018, 06:49 PM
...for the choice of National Stadium, according to BBC News.

All other choices have been ruled out.

And in other news... the Pope is still indeed Catholic.

brianmc
30-01-2018, 06:49 PM
Don't get the abuse hampden gets. Good views from all stands. Sure some of the lower down views aren't great, but that's the same anywhere. The transport links aren't perfect but they're plentiful.

I'm guessing (hoping) this is a wind up?

Good views? If you're behind the goals, at or near the bottom of the Stand you can barely see the goalmouths at your end-due to the large expanse of ground, stewards, Polis and many advertising hoardings in your way. Never mind what's happening 150 yards away at the other end!

bod
30-01-2018, 06:52 PM
I think the sfa will,take the lowest bid.both grounds similar in distance from the pitch & with the national team using hairy twat uni ( when harts let them of course ) & a hotel supposedly being built there as well Muddyfield might get it

Keith_M
30-01-2018, 06:53 PM
And in other news... the Pope is still indeed Catholic.

TBF, they were also considering alternating between Ibrox and Celtic Park. I'm surprised they ruled that out so easily.

Out of the two remaining choices, I think Murrayfield would be the better option.

30-01-2018, 06:55 PM
Here's a link, from the donkeys' mouths:
https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/scottish-fa-to-progress-hampden-park-and-bt-murrayfield-options/?rid=14258

Obviously nobody at Sportsound is keeping an eye on the SFA website, they were still discussing the Rangers/Celtic option 10 minutes ago.

NAE NOOKIE
30-01-2018, 07:41 PM
Cant help thinking the Ugly Sisters bid has been binned because the member clubs made it clear they weren't up for putting even more money into their bloody pockets ..... probably the first time in a long time, if ever, that they haven't had their way. As has been pointed out, isn't it funny how the Old Firm are always able to put 'the most bitter rivalry in football' aside when it comes to making money.

If the SFA do come down on the side of Hampden it surely has to be in conjunction with:

A) An agreement with Queens Park to have much more of a say in the ownership and running of the stadium ... without football there is no Hampden.

B) A commitment ( commensurate on A being achieved ) to investigate and source funding to at the very least revamp both ends of the stadium within a reasonable time frame.

vuefrom1875
31-01-2018, 08:04 AM

TBF, they were also considering alternating between Ibrox and Celtic Park. I'm surprised they ruled that out so easily.

Out of the two remaining choices, I think Murrayfield would be the better option.

Agreed, Murrayfield would be the better option but just can't see the s.f.a.leaving weegieland for the shimmering delights of Edinburgh 😉

JimBHibees
31-01-2018, 08:09 AM
No choice, Murrayfeild for all our big games. Take the others around the nation

Totally agree it is the obvious choice though I have no doubt the decision will be Hampden.

WeeRussell
31-01-2018, 01:04 PM
I'm guessing (hoping) this is a wind up?

Good views? If you're behind the goals, at or near the bottom of the Stand you can barely see the goalmouths at your end-due to the large expanse of ground, stewards, Polis and many advertising hoardings in your way. Never mind what's happening 150 yards away at the other end!

Is it really any worse than other large stadiums with running tracks round them though? For example... Murrayfield. :confused:

Since90+2
31-01-2018, 01:08 PM
The reason the view from behind the goals at Hampden is so bad is the stand is so shallow you are miles away from the pitch.

Murrayfield has a much steeper gradient so you are not as far from the pitch.

NorthNorfolkHFC
31-01-2018, 01:11 PM

Plenty in haymarket, 10/15 walk. Murrayfield bar.
Couple at roseburn.

Monts
31-01-2018, 01:27 PM
Someone mentioned to me that glasgow council are looking at throwing money towards the SFA to try and keep them at hampden.

Any truth in that?

BroxburnHibee
31-01-2018, 01:32 PM
Someone mentioned to me that glasgow council are looking at throwing money towards the SFA to try and keep them at hampden.

Any truth in that?

Otherwise known as a shakedown and I would say 99% accurate.

NAE NOOKIE
31-01-2018, 01:50 PM

Any truth in that?

It was mentioned in the report that Glasgow council had asked the SFA to hold off on a final decision. The only reason for that could be they are afraid of losing the prestige, not to mention the money pumped into the local economy, that comes with hosting big internationals and cup finals. Its also the case that Hampden will not be able to survive as purely a concert venue and its days will be numbered if the SFA / SPFL pull out. losing even more money from the local economy as the big bands choose Murrayfield as the only suitable stadium concert venue in Scotland .... If the Ugly sisters had looked on concerts as a serious source of income they would have been all over it by now.

Perhaps, just perhaps, this is the set of circumstances we have been waiting for which will finally lead to Hampden getting the revamp it so clearly needs.

Ozyhibby
31-01-2018, 02:02 PM
It was mentioned in the report that Glasgow council had asked the SFA to hold off on a final decision. The only reason for that could be they are afraid of losing the prestige, not to mention the money pumped into the local economy, that comes with hosting big internationals and cup finals. Its also the case that Hampden will not be able to survive as purely a concert venue and its days will be numbered if the SFA / SPFL pull out. losing even more money from the local economy as the big bands choose Murrayfield as the only suitable stadium concert venue in Scotland .... If the Ugly sisters had looked on concerts as a serious source of income they would have been all over it by now.

Perhaps, just perhaps, this is the set of circumstances we have been waiting for which will finally lead to Hampden getting the revamp it so clearly needs.

I’d rather Murrayfield won the bid and all that money was pumped into the Edinburgh economy.
Would be a massive boost for Edinburgh to get this.

Keith_M
31-01-2018, 02:08 PM
The reason the view from behind the goals at Hampden is so bad is the stand is so shallow you are miles away from the pitch.

Murrayfield has a much steeper gradient so you are not as far from the pitch.

Plus you're actually not quite so far from the pitch behind the goals at Murrayfield as you are at Hampden (It's not great, but a bit closer)

NAE NOOKIE
31-01-2018, 03:03 PM
I’d rather Murrayfield won the bid and all that money was pumped into the Edinburgh economy.
Would be a massive boost for Edinburgh to get this.

Yes it would mate, which is why more than anything else I think Glasgow council will do everything they can to keep Scotland and the cup finals at Hampden. What a slap in the face it would be to their pride if the Scottish national rugby and football teams were playing their games in Edinburgh.

The SFA and especially Queens Park missed an absolute trick with the Commonwealth games. No Hampden no games and yet they couldn't squeeze a single new seat out of the hundreds of millions spent. If Glasgow council are so desperate to see Hampden's current arrangement continue surely this time Queens Park and the SFA can use the situation to their and the stadiums advantage. It needs two new ends and the north stand raised up to the level of the south giving it a 60,000 capacity.

The SFA hold all the cards here that will enable them to gain far greater control of the stadium from Queens Park and squeeze a huge chunk of cash out of Glasgow city council if the council are in any way serious. What a shame its run by idiots.

IGRIGI
31-01-2018, 03:05 PM
We could do with an 80,000 seater to deal with demand for semi finals/finals between the top 5 teams, Hampden is too small for these games.

NAE NOOKIE
31-01-2018, 03:18 PM
We could do with an 80,000 seater to deal with demand for semi finals/finals between the top 5 teams, Hampden is too small for these games.

Only Celtic v The Rangers could fill an 80,000 seater. I doubt anything short of a competitive Scotland game against Germany or England could attract 80,000 for an international these days. In short it would be mental to waste millions on 20,000 seats which would barely ever be used. Could you have imagined the ICT V Falkirk cup final being played in an 80,000 capacity stadium? It would have made our biggest showpiece game look ridiculous.

Monts
31-01-2018, 03:29 PM
Interesting to think that moving to a bigger stadium could be detrimental to hibs.

At the moment, for semis and finals against the OF we get half the stadium. But I'm not sure we could sell much more than 25-30,000 for a game against them.

Meaning that if we got to a final against one of those two in a bigger ground than hampden, we would likely be outnumbered, and handing them a slight advantage.

Colr
31-01-2018, 03:35 PM
Otherwise known as a shakedown and I would say 99% accurate.

Same plot was used by the FA on the Wembley new build.

green&left
31-01-2018, 04:45 PM
Interesting to think that moving to a bigger stadium could be detrimental to hibs.

At the moment, for semis and finals against the OF we get half the stadium. But I'm not sure we could sell much more than 25-30,000 for a game against them.

Meaning that if we got to a final against one of those two in a bigger ground than hampden, we would likely be outnumbered, and handing them a slight advantage.

If we can take 30,000+ to Cup Finals against Killie and Livingston etc in Glasgow then surely we can take 30,000 to a stadium 5 miles along the road?

Waxy
31-01-2018, 05:00 PM
Murrayfield is the way to go now.

Keith_M
31-01-2018, 06:54 PM

Currently, nearly 10k tickets are held back for Cup Finals at Hampden by the SFA. If they did the same at Murrayfield, it would leave around 28-29k for each club (given a 50/50 split)

We've had around 30k for a number of finals, and 38k for the Livi final. Having the final in Edinburgh would possibly even increase the number of people that would want to go.

green&left
01-02-2018, 09:26 AM

Plus you're actually not quite so far from the pitch behind the goals at Murrayfield as you are at Hampden (It's not great, but a bit closer)

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171217/53f75aa3294757624dec680f05670021.jpg