PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Dundee 25 January 2018)

Jonnyboy
25-01-2018, 12:00 AM
The road to Dundee brought conversations in the car regarding whether Stokesy would play and whether we had yet signed Florian Kamberi and if we had, would he feature. There was no sign of either player as Hibs made two changes from the side that played Hearts last Sunday. Marvin Bartley was unfit and was replaced by Barker whilst Oli Shaw dropped to the bench with Simon Murray playing central striker.

The weather was dry, if a little cold but the wind was strong and looked likely to cause problems whenever the ball was in the air. Thankfully, both sides tried to play football and there was little evidence of Hearts-like hoofing.

Hibs started brightly, if a little slowly and that was a tad baffling given we had Boyle and Barker on the flanks. When we attacked down the right, Boyle looked menacing but Barker seemed to spend a great deal of time in the first half failing to get out of Lewis Stevenson’s way. That aspect of Barker’s play certainly irritates me but I’m glad to say that the second half brought a marked change in Barker’s contribution.

In what seemed like Dundee’s first proper attack they could and should have gone ahead but a ball from their left witnessed Paul McGowan heading wide when the goal was at his mercy. That was a warning shot to Hibs who soon produced a couple of chances of their own with the first seeing Murray’s header hit the woodwork after a cracking cross from Efe Ambrose. Next, John McGinn lined up a shot but a last ditch tackle, from Jack Hendry saw the ball fly wide for a corner.

This wasn’t a particularly physical encounter but I felt a few of the Dundee players were happy to leave a foot in when tackling and so it was no surprise to me that referee Don Robertson produced yellow cards for Hendry and Aurtenetxe, although Dundee gaffer Neil McCann and the home support were less than happy.

Half time arrived with no goals having been scored but I’m glad to say the second forty five was far more entertaining than the first. Early on, O’Hara went close with a driven shot but around seven or eight minutes in, Hibs took the lead through John McGinn. The move came down the right with a clever Ambrose pass picking out Slivka inside the Dundee area. A quick turn and low delivery into the six yard box saw Simon Murray tumble as he was challenged but the referee waved play on and when the ball reached McGinn some eight yards out, SJM swivelled and struck home a low drive beyond Parish in the Dundee goal. John’s celebration was a sight to behold as he ran behind the goal and fist pumped to the cheering Hibs fans.

Dundee brought on Scott Allan to try and prise open a dogged Hibs defence and whilst I thought the home side played better after Allan’s arrival our defence was brilliantly marshalled by Paul Hanlon. On two occasions Brandon Barker broke free down the left and when through on goal hit the side netting with the first effort and shot too close to Parish for the second. Had he converted either or both the tension might have been relieved a little. Next, a powerful header by O’Hara had the home fans shouting goal but they were then left shaking their heads in disbelief as Rocky pulled off a quite magnificent save.

Desperate to get something from the game, Neil McCann introduced attacking players from the bench but it was Hibs that should have scored when substitute Danny Swanson brilliantly broke free on the left before slotting the ball in front of Simon Murray some three yards out but unbelievably the Hibs striker totally missed the ball when he could quite probably have just blown it into an empty net.

The home support was then incensed when a hefty challenge by John McGinn went unpunished as he was already on a (soft in my opinion) yellow. Neil McCann was not slow to bitch about it from the sidelines and was spoken to by the referee as a result.

A double save from Parrish then denied Simon Murray before Dundee substitute Matthew Henvey had a free header some ten yards out but was well wide of the target. As the clock ticked down John McGinn took control of proceedings and basically stopped Dundee from causing Hibs any more bother.

The players

Rocky – He didn’t have a great deal to do, in truth. Had one very good save in the first half and a quite stunning one in the second.

Efe – When I realised Efe was right back again my heart sank a little as though I think he’s a cracking player I don’t think he’s a right back. Only a few minor Efe moments though and key involvement in the build up to the goal.

Daz – The big fella was outstanding again and though the likes of McGowan and El Bakhtaoui are tricky customers he kept them at bay.

Paul – Another fantastic Paul Hanlon performance and he had AJ Leitch-Smith in his pocket for most of the game. Pinged one of his classic cross field balls to Boyle and despite the wind it reached the target spot on.

Lewis – The wee man must get really frustrated when he sees Barker static in front of him and he certainly let Brandon know his feelings on a couple of occasions in the first half. Like Paul, he too pinged a delightful diagonal ball to Boyle that was spot on.

Boyler – Martin was the pick of the bunch in the first half and made numerous forays down the right with the Dundee defenders having problems tying him down. Not as prevalent in the second half but still a handful when he had the ball.

Dylan – I felt like running onto the park tonight to offer Dylan the use of a pen because he was by far my man of the match and I desperately want him to sign a new contract and stay. One crucial block in our own box in the second half almost certainly preserved the three points won.

Slivka – After a quietish first half I felt Slivka had a cracking second forty five. His skill and pass for the winning goal were a joy to watch and I’m of the view that the more he plays, the better he’ll get.

SJM – Super John was great tonight and showed real desire to drive us forward. In my view that was his best game in a while and I loved his goal celebration which when watching it made me wonder whether he’s aware of the criticism that’s been aimed at him in some quarters.

Brandon – Frustrated the life out of me for most of the first half but he was fantastic in the second. With a little bit more composure he’d have had a brace of goals tonight.

Simon – The laddie never stops trying, I’ll give him that but at the level he is now playing he cannot expect to avoid criticism when he misses the ball when three yards from goal with the net gaping. Having said that, he definitely takes a better corner than SJM!

Danny – I wonder how much truth there is in the suggestion that Danny might be sent out on loan. I’ll tell you this, we saw what Danny can bring to the party tonight and he should be going nowhere. There was one little piece of play right down at the corner flag when Danny turned the Dundee defender inside out with the quickness of his feet.

Jamie – worked his socks off for the ten minutes he got but more importantly, got himself into goal scoring positions a couple of times without being picked out by a team mate.

Oli – Only got a few minutes but still managed to bring a good save out of Elliot Parish.

Neil – I didn’t hear his post-match interview so can’t comment on anything he might have said. I wonder what he thought of the odious Neil McCann’s view that his team dominated the game and deserved to win.

The fans – Not sure how many we ended up with but did notice the pay at the gate turnstile was very busy.

Referee Don Robertson – not one of my favourites, not that I have many, but I’m grateful to him for not sending John McGinn off. John’s yellow was soft in my opinion but a later tackle looked a yellow all day long with Robertson waving aside the Dundee claims.

snooky
25-01-2018, 12:10 AM
I know it's hard to find anything good to say about McCann. You just McCan't.

oldbutdim
25-01-2018, 12:16 AM
Scott Allan looks a shadow of the player he was at Hibs.
Not thinner, just ****.

If he keeps dropping down talentwise he may yet get to play for Sevco.

Hermit Crab
25-01-2018, 12:22 AM
The road to Dundee brought conversations in the car regarding whether Stokesy would play and whether we had yet signed Florian Kamberi and if we had, would he feature. There was no sign of either player as Hibs made two changes from the side that played Hearts last Sunday. Marvin Bartley was unfit and was replaced by Barker whilst Oli Shaw dropped to the bench with Simon Murray playing central striker.

The weather was dry, if a little cold but the wind was strong and looked likely to cause problems whenever the ball was in the air. Thankfully, both sides tried to play football and there was little evidence of Hearts-like hoofing.

Hibs started brightly, if a little slowly and that was a tad baffling given we had Boyle and Barker on the flanks. When we attacked down the right, Boyle looked menacing but Barker seemed to spend a great deal of time in the first half failing to get out of Lewis Stevenson’s way. That aspect of Barker’s play certainly irritates me but I’m glad to say that the second half brought a marked change in Barker’s contribution.

In what seemed like Dundee’s first proper attack they could and should have gone ahead but a ball from their left witnessed Paul McGowan heading wide when the goal was at his mercy. That was a warning shot to Hibs who soon produced a couple of chances of their own with the first seeing Murray’s header hit the woodwork after a cracking cross from Efe Ambrose. Next, John McGinn lined up a shot but a last ditch tackle, from Jack Hendry saw the ball fly wide for a corner.

This wasn’t a particularly physical encounter but I felt a few of the Dundee players were happy to leave a foot in when tackling and so it was no surprise to me that referee Don Robertson produced yellow cards for Hendry and Aurtenetxe, although Dundee gaffer Neil McCann and the home support were less than happy.

Half time arrived with no goals having been scored but I’m glad to say the second forty five was far more entertaining than the first. Early on, O’Hara went close with a driven shot but around seven or eight minutes in, Hibs took the lead through John McGinn. The move came down the right with a clever Ambrose pass picking out Slivka inside the Dundee area. A quick turn and low delivery into the six yard box saw Simon Murray tumble as he was challenged but the referee waved play on and when the ball reached McGinn some eight yards out, SJM swivelled and struck home a low drive beyond Parish in the Dundee goal. John’s celebration was a sight to behold as he ran behind the goal and fist pumped to the cheering Hibs fans.

Dundee brought on Scott Allan to try and prise open a dogged Hibs defence and whilst I thought the home side played better after Allan’s arrival our defence was brilliantly marshalled by Paul Hanlon. On two occasions Brandon Barker broke free down the left and when through on goal hit the side netting with the first effort and shot too close to Parish for the second. Had he converted either or both the tension might have been relieved a little. Next, a powerful header by O’Hara had the home fans shouting goal but they were then left shaking their heads in disbelief as Rocky pulled off a quite magnificent save.

Desperate to get something from the game, Neil McCann introduced attacking players from the bench but it was Hibs that should have scored when substitute Danny Swanson brilliantly broke free on the left before slotting the ball in front of Simon Murray some three yards out but unbelievably the Hibs striker totally missed the ball when he could quite probably have just blown it into an empty net.

The home support was then incensed when a hefty challenge by John McGinn went unpunished as he was already on a (soft in my opinion) yellow. Neil McCann was not slow to bitch about it from the sidelines and was spoken to by the referee as a result.

A double save from Parrish then denied Simon Murray before Dundee substitute Matthew Henvey had a free header some ten yards out but was well wide of the target. As the clock ticked down John McGinn took control of proceedings and basically stopped Dundee from causing Hibs any more bother.

The players

Rocky – He didn’t have a great deal to do, in truth. Had one very good save in the first half and a quite stunning one in the second.

Efe – When I realised Efe was right back again my heart sank a little as though I think he’s a cracking player I don’t think he’s a right back. Only a few minor Efe moments though and key involvement in the build up to the goal.

Daz – The big fella was outstanding again and though the likes of McGowan and El Bakhtaoui are tricky customers he kept them at bay.

Paul – Another fantastic Paul Hanlon performance and he had AJ Leitch-Smith in his pocket for most of the game. Pinged one of his classic cross field balls to Boyle and despite the wind it reached the target spot on.

Lewis – The wee man must get really frustrated when he sees Barker static in front of him and he certainly let Brandon know his feelings on a couple of occasions in the first half. Like Paul, he too pinged a delightful diagonal ball to Boyle that was spot on.

Boyler – Martin was the pick of the bunch in the first half and made numerous forays down the right with the Dundee defenders having problems tying him down. Not as prevalent in the second half but still a handful when he had the ball.

Dylan – I felt like running onto the park tonight to offer Dylan the use of a pen because he was by far my man of the match and I desperately want him to sign a new contract and stay. One crucial block in our own box in the second half almost certainly preserved the three points won.

Slivka – After a quietish first half I felt Slivka had a cracking second forty five. His skill and pass for the winning goal were a joy to watch and I’m of the view that the more he plays, the better he’ll get.

SJM – Super John was great tonight and showed real desire to drive us forward. In my view that was his best game in a while and I loved his goal celebration which when watching it made me wonder whether he’s aware of the criticism that’s been aimed at him in some quarters.

Brandon – Frustrated the life out of me for most of the first half but he was fantastic in the second. With a little bit more composure he’d have had a brace of goals tonight.

Simon – The laddie never stops trying, I’ll give him that but at the level he is now playing he cannot expect to avoid criticism when he misses the ball when three yards from goal with the net gaping. Having said that, he definitely takes a better corner than SJM!

Danny – I wonder how much truth there is in the suggestion that Danny might be sent out on loan. I’ll tell you this, we saw what Danny can bring to the party tonight and he should be going nowhere. There was one little piece of play right down at the corner flag when Danny turned the Dundee defender inside out with the quickness of his feet.

Jamie – worked his socks off for the ten minutes he got but more importantly, got himself into goal scoring positions a couple of times without being picked out by a team mate.

Oli – Only got a few minutes but still managed to bring a good save out of Elliot Parish.

Neil – I didn’t hear his post-match interview so can’t comment on anything he might have said. I wonder what he thought of the odious Neil McCann’s view that his team dominated the game and deserved to win.

The fans – Not sure how many we ended up with but did notice the pay at the gate turnstile was very busy.

Referee Don Robertson – not one of my favourites, not that I have many, but I’m grateful to him for not sending John McGinn off. John’s yellow was soft in my opinion but a later tackle looked a yellow all day long with Robertson waving aside the Dundee claims.

940 Jonny.

I personally thought Slivka was MOTM. He will get better with more games I'm sure of it.

Hermit Crab
25-01-2018, 12:23 AM
Not thinner, just ****.

He absolutely ran the show for Dundee when he came on. I'm amazed he doesn't start more matches.

oldbutdim
25-01-2018, 12:26 AM
940 Jonny.

I personally thought Slivka was MOTM. He will get better with more games I'm sure of it.

I thought much of the game passed him by.

He absolutely ran the show for Dundee when he came on. I'm amazed he doesn't start more matches.

I thought he showed exactly why he didn't make the starting eleven.

Hermit Crab
25-01-2018, 12:28 AM

:confused:, he set up the goal, always willing to drive forward and looked good with the ball at his feet.

I think we watched different games, however we both have our opinions.

oldbutdim
25-01-2018, 12:47 AM
:confused:, he set up the goal, always willing to drive forward and looked good with the ball at his feet.

I think we watched different games, however we both have our opinions.

I thought the goal came from SJ pouncing on a loose ball after Simon was attempting a shot.
I've not seen it on TV though so maybe I'm mistaken.

TelaStella
25-01-2018, 01:45 AM
Glad to hear Slivka did well again, always been a fan. Delighted for John getting his goal as well, can't help but feel he's needed it recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Allant1981
25-01-2018, 06:12 AM

sorry but slivka had a good game and no way did it pass him by

danhibees1875
25-01-2018, 07:04 AM
Not thinner, just ****.

I understand that the sentiment behind this, but thought Allan looked a constant threat when he came on. I'm glad he didn't have 90 minutes to exploit the gap behind SJM and DM.

blackpoolhibs
25-01-2018, 09:29 AM
Not thinner, just ****.

Opinions eh, i thought they only started to play when he came on. Horrible scrote, but i still think he'd make us a better team now.

andy1875
25-01-2018, 09:33 AM
Thanks for the summary JB.

As ever, always seems spot on imo.

Cheers

JimBHibees
25-01-2018, 09:53 AM
Opinions eh, i thought they only started to play when he came on. Horrible scrote, but i still think he'd make us a better team now.

Agree different team when he came on.

Tornadoes70
25-01-2018, 09:57 AM
Always good to read your review.

Individual performances aside of which there were some very good ones the most pleasing aspect for me was the overall desire to work hard as a team and obtain the result especially given the past week or so's extraordinary events.

There was a grit there mixed with some very good linking play from back to front to ensure we dug out the result and on another night we may have won by a bigger margin and I don't think there's many who'd say we didn't deserve the win.

I think the team as a whole deserve a lot of credit for the hard working overall performance as a unit last night.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

Smartie
25-01-2018, 10:18 AM
Forgive my view as I am only commenting on what I saw - I watched the game on ALBA and fell asleep at half time (more of a comment on how knackered I was rather than the fare on offer).

I was impressed by our first half play, very impressed. McGowan should have scored his chance but I thought we played well, dominated and did everything but score. I found it really quite entertaining.

I was impressed by Murray's corners - why on Earth do we persevere with McGinn taking them when Murray can deliver like that?

The balance in midfield looked good, Efe and Lewis were good on the ball and going forward, Boyle threatened, Murray worked hard, defence generally looked solid.

More than anything, I was worried after Sunday. Given our iffy recent form, stories of problems behind the scenes, it was very important to get the 3 points and get the season back on track. We still show positive signs of being a resolute bunch, and it was a big result to clinch.

Iggy Pope
25-01-2018, 02:20 PM
Forgive my view as I am only commenting on what I saw - I watched the game on ALBA and fell asleep at half time (more of a comment on how knackered I was rather than the fare on offer).

I was impressed by our first half play, very impressed. McGowan should have scored his chance but I thought we played well, dominated and did everything but score. I found it really quite entertaining.

I was impressed by Murray's corners - why on Earth do we persevere with McGinn taking them when Murray can deliver like that?

The balance in midfield looked good, Efe and Lewis were good on the ball and going forward, Boyle threatened, Murray worked hard, defence generally looked solid.

More than anything, I was worried after Sunday. Given our iffy recent form, stories of problems behind the scenes, it was very important to get the 3 points and get the season back on track. We still show positive signs of being a resolute bunch, and it was a big result to clinch.

Pretty much, but you missed the best half of football.

There's no reason (or evidence of previous success) why John McGinn would be our dead ball man. Its bloody desperate to watch. He has a lot of qualities but this is not one of them.

danhibees1875
25-01-2018, 02:26 PM
Pretty much, but you missed the best half of football.

There's no reason (or evidence of previous success) why John McGinn would be our dead ball man. Its bloody desperate to watch. He has a lot of qualities but this is not one of them.

The one in the first half that he curled into row Z was one of the worst corners I've seen. I couldn't believe how much better Murray's was - he'd be in my first 11 for that alone at the moment.

Iggy Pope
25-01-2018, 02:29 PM
I thought the goal came from SJ pouncing on a loose ball after Simon was attempting a shot.
I've not seen it on TV though so maybe I'm mistaken.

Slivka's involved all along as he gets it out to Efe from the edge and is then on the end of Efe's ball in. When it does come to him in the box, his first touch (nice one by the way)takes him away from the defender towards the byline, and with his head up, he squares it easily to Murray with back to goal. He was strong enough (and might have had a penalty shout), to hold off the defender to allow a composed finish by McGinn who has also got in to the box.

More of this lots of players in the box stuff for me!

Iggy Pope
25-01-2018, 02:32 PM
The one in the first half that he curled into row Z was one of the worst corners I've seen. I couldn't believe how much better Murray's was - he'd be in my first 11 for that alone at the moment.

First 5 minutes he stuck one behind the near post. And after a fairly bright start.
McGinn himself cannot be thinking this is a good part of his game.

Stevie Reid
25-01-2018, 02:44 PM
I made some of these points over several posts last night so I'm repeating myself, but I think it's worth putting them in one place.

In our first season back in the SPL, after 23 of 38 games:

- we have won 43% of our games

- only Celtic have lost less games than us

- despite our propensity to miss great chances, we are the 4th highest scorers in the league

- we have the 5th best defence in the league

- we have scored one less and conceded one more goal than Aberdeen, who have been the 2nd best team in the country for several years (I know they have won three more games, but it shows how fine the margins are)

- For all the talk of the dreadful run we were on prior to last night, in our last five games we have taken more points (and lost less games) than both Rangers and Aberdeen

There are tough games ahead certainly, but for a team who up until last night had many of its own supporters predicting a crisis, slaughtering player recruitment, and - in some cases - saying that the manager was now under pressure, we are in a very healthy position. Especially since the general consensus is that we haven't taken the points that our performances deserve.

Pretty Boy
25-01-2018, 03:01 PM
I watched the game on Alba and thought Allan made Dundee a far better team when he came on. It reaffirms my belief, that I expressed earlier this week, that from a football point of view if a deal could be done to bring Allan back to ER in the summer then it should be looked at. I'm aware there are a host of other issues to consider with Allan but he's a very, very good footballer.

I thought Slivka was good, not brilliant but he pretty much confirmed what I thought in that he's always going to look better played in his own position. I feel a bit sorry for Murray, the miss is totally overshadowing the part he played in the goal and overall i thought he had a decent enough game and is worth another run out on Saturday. Swanson was he real positive and if we can get him right to play like that every week then we'll be a far better team for it. I thought Maclaren showed decent movement and awareness in his cameo but really there was no time to judge.

Smartie
25-01-2018, 03:09 PM
The problem with Allan is that I think you need to build the entire team around him. He's not going to track back and if you throw in the fact that he's going to have his off days, his head is going to go down from time to time, his head is going to be turned from time to time, and there may well be players within our squad who still hold a grudge against him (let alone the fans) then his signing would be an expensive gamble.

He does have an ability that few other players do though, and he was a good fit for us the last time.

Dundee clearly don't build their team around him, and I don't think they see the best of him as a result.

CMurdoch
25-01-2018, 03:48 PM
3 Positives from last night
Biggest one was that we won
2nd biggest - not a fan of Swanson's signing but he was great when he came on last night. Maybe the penny is dropping with him after Portugal. Should stay and be pushed hard every day in training. It is in him to improve Hibs.
3rd biggest - Slivka getting another 90 minutes. Played well and Lennon needs to keep giving him game time in his favoured position. He will keep improving and taking on more responsibility.

Iggy Pope
25-01-2018, 03:56 PM
3 Positives from last night
Biggest one was that we won
2nd biggest - not a fan of Swanson's signing but he was great when he came on last night. Maybe the penny is dropping with him after Portugal. Should stay and be pushed hard every day in training. It is in him to improve Hibs.
3rd biggest - Slivka getting another 90 minutes. Played well and Lennon needs to keep giving him game time in his favoured position. He will keep improving and taking on more responsibility.

4th. Another very good save from the keeper. Wins the game this time.

5th. Hanlon and McGregor continue to be a very good partnership.

6th. Throw Oli on at the right time and stretch them.

7th. Wee Lewis looked more of his old self 2nd Half.

greenlex
25-01-2018, 07:57 PM
Having just watched the whole game I think the criticism of Murray is a too strong. That miss was definitely scoteableand he probably should have but it was far from the sitter I imaginedafter listening to the radio commentary last night. It and at a nice pace but the keeper was right at him and he was at the front post rather than in the middle like I imagined. Other than that he did little wrong. One observation was that Barker never got a snufftill Curran madesay from Allen. Curran had a very good game for them.