PDA

View Full Version : Barker

Mikey09
24-01-2018, 10:24 PM
I'm gonna be positive and say once this lad starts scoring, not if, we will start burying teams.

Get on that training pitch and do some extra shooting practice Brandon. :aok:

Shrekko
24-01-2018, 10:30 PM
Rarely seen a more exciting player at this level. Does need to start getting more productive but how can anyone not enjoy watching him? Hopefully a goal will kick him on this season but I still think he’ll play at a good level in the future regardless.

Stevie Reid
24-01-2018, 10:31 PM
Rarely seen a more exciting player at this level. Does need to start getting more productive but how can anyone not enjoy watching him? Hopefully a goal will kick him on this season but I still think he’ll play at a good level in the future regardless.

Totally agree. A joy to watch.

Ronniekirk
24-01-2018, 10:34 PM
I'm gonna be positive and say once this lad starts scoring, not if, we will start burying teams.

Missed a sitter in one of his early games at Dens
Unlucky v Rangers with his two efforts off the post
Lets hope he starts by bagging a goal against both the Old Firm Teams

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mikey09
24-01-2018, 10:35 PM

Just to make myself clear I'm a huge fan of his and it wasn't a sly dig. He's an outstanding young player. How folk don't rate him is beyond me.

Shrekko
24-01-2018, 10:41 PM
Just to make myself clear I'm a huge fan of his and it wasn't a sly dig. He's an outstanding young player. How folk don't rate him is beyond me.

Didn’t think you were having a dig at him mate - I agree with you that the production is still to come but it’s very likely to soon and will make things so much better for us.

Love watching him but will love him more when the goals come!

Tornadoes70
24-01-2018, 10:44 PM
Barker was terrific tonight. Made some great runs and gave their left flank a very hard time until being subbed. If he'd had his shooting boots on he'd have had a couple of goals. A willing runner the whole time he was on the pitch and a candidate for motm however there were quite a few candidates tonight.

Very good hard working team performance and a good turnout by our supporters. Very happy however could have done with that second goal just to settle the nerves but in the end our win was well deserved.

:flag:

Mon the Cabbage!!!

matty_f
24-01-2018, 10:50 PM
Watching the game just now and Barker (finishing aside) has been terrific.

neil7908
24-01-2018, 10:58 PM
He is very exciting and I know it's hardly something new but he does need to add some goals to his game. If he can do that he'll go far in the game. I just hope we get closer to the finished article while he's still here.

Unseen work
24-01-2018, 11:15 PM
I’m going to go against the grain tonight and say I thought he was poor.

He had 2 very good chances that he squandered.

In 1 vs 1 situations he seemed hesitant to take on his man and seemed to feint about 3 times before passing it to the side and when he did try take people on he often got out numbered.

I think I’m more harsh on him as you can see his ability and want so much from him.

The_Horde
24-01-2018, 11:16 PM

In 1 vs 1 situations he seemed hesitant to take on his man and seemed to feint about 3 times before passing it to the side and when he did try take people on he often got out numbered.

I think I’m more harsh on him as you can see his ability and want so much from him.

I'm somewhere in the middle of the 2 opinions. Think mostly because his finishing was woeful but some of his distance shooting was wasteful and rubbish too.

Hibbyradge
24-01-2018, 11:18 PM

I'm with you.

Exciting up to a point then extremely disappointing.

I don't think he'll ever score a goal.

jax67
25-01-2018, 06:14 AM
Barker gets into some great positions, if he isn’t a great finisher he could be making great assists. Would love him to get a goal soon, exciting player.

Mainstandman
25-01-2018, 07:25 AM
I think he's really developed with us. At the start he didn't have the confidence to get into the box and shoot now he's got that, but more and he'll be banging them in

hibsbollah
25-01-2018, 07:26 AM
In the pantheon of Hibs wingers, he's somewhere between Alan O'brien and Joe Baker.

The Harp
25-01-2018, 07:34 AM
Barker's a joy to watch, only his finishing is letting him down. Something tells me when he breaks his duck, goal-wise, he'll get another soon after and won't look back.

hfcnic
25-01-2018, 07:35 AM

100% agree. He is fantastic. Only wish we could keep a hold of him

Mikey09
25-01-2018, 07:39 AM
In the pantheon of Hibs wingers, he's somewhere between Alan O'brien and Joe Baker.

He's got room to move on that spectrum then.... :greengrin

MWHIBBIES
25-01-2018, 07:44 AM
I dont think its surprising that folk dont rate him when our midfielders get stick for not scoring/assisting. He doesnt score or assist and he is a forward/winger. Needs to run in behind more and produce more consistent end product.

heretoday
25-01-2018, 08:03 AM
Having Barker and Boyle is like having two express trains speeding along parallel lines at once. They need to slow down at the station and offload a couple of passengers!

Johnny Clash
25-01-2018, 08:11 AM
You can see defenders hate playing against him. The ball seems to stick to his feet and he’s fast. If only he can get sharper when it comes to shooting or playing a killer pass. I suppose that’s why he’s here and not plying his trade at Manchester City. They will be hoping he can develop at Hibs - and must have faith in our coaching staff plus the facilities up here. Just hope he can grab a few goals soon... and our next three opponents are the perfect games to do this!

Paloschi
25-01-2018, 08:12 AM
He's class just needs to work on finishing and assists. Shame we only have half a season to go with him. Ball sticks to his feet and he just glides past people.

Firestarter
25-01-2018, 08:12 AM
He has the natural talent it's how to become more productive. He always looks like he's just woken up randomly.

One Day Soon
25-01-2018, 08:20 AM

FFS, did you have to? Hello flashbacks.

lord bunberry
25-01-2018, 08:21 AM
Him and Boyle should be working on their finishing all week. If these two could start scoring half the chances we’re creating, we will start finishing teams off a lot easier. We have far too many one goal victories when we’ve dominated games.

hibsbollah
25-01-2018, 08:22 AM
He's got room to move on that spectrum then.... :greengrin

Yes, a fairly wide spectrum from a zero to a hero :greengrin

Shrekko
25-01-2018, 08:33 AM

Joe Baker was a winger? I learn something on here every day...

JimboHibs
25-01-2018, 08:34 AM
Him and Boyle should be working on their finishing all week. If these two could start scoring half the chances we’re creating, we will start finishing teams off a lot easier. We have far too many one goal victories when we’ve dominated games.

If either of the pair could finish they most probably wouldn't be at Hibs

lord bunberry
25-01-2018, 08:41 AM
Yes, but if we could teach them finishing we might get a decent period out of them before they move on.

ancient hibee
25-01-2018, 08:47 AM
Joe a winger?

KeithTheHibby
25-01-2018, 08:51 AM
He’s our most dangerous player easily.

JDHibs
25-01-2018, 08:51 AM
Barker is very exciting, with alot of potential. Hes very good until the last/past shot. Direct, lightning pace, got skills for days, just cant finish.

People need to remember, if he could finish, he would be no where near Hibs, thats for sure.

Stevie Reid
25-01-2018, 08:59 AM
Pretty extreme example obviously, but I remember watching Barcelona at the Nou Camp in 2007 when Lionel Messi was 20. About four or five times in the game he went on amazing, mazy runs, beating four or five players and getting in or around the box, and the finish was the same every time - ballooned over the bar with his left foot (Barca won 1-0 with a Samuel Eto'o goal). Hard to imagine these days, given what he has gone onto achieve.

Now I'm clearly not insinuating that Barker will enter the same stratosphere as Messi, merely pointing out that having turned 21 in October, and playing only his first season of proper football in his career, Barker has plenty of time to improve. It's unusual for someone to have such good close control and such blistering pace - with those attributes he will always be a threat, even without the end product he wears teams down by giving them a torrid time for much of the game.

If he were to add a goal and a final ball, he will really go places. I wouldn't rule it out at all. My current prediction would be him moving to a good Championship team after Man City, then back to the EPL.

hibsbollah
25-01-2018, 09:26 AM
Joe Baker was a winger? I learn something on here every day...

Christ on a bike, there's always one pédant :greengrin

Stevie Reid
25-01-2018, 09:27 AM
He’s our most dangerous player easily.

Agreed, puts the fear into the opposition players and supporters.

I would add that he seems reasonably strong, and definitely brave for a winger - doesn't seem to shirk out of anything. Not like your GMS types.

CropleyWasGod
25-01-2018, 09:29 AM
Christ on a bike, there's always one pédant :greengrin

When did he play?

Or has St. Ivan been promoted?

And.. htf do you get an acute accent on a UK keyboard?? :greengrin

Hibbyradge
25-01-2018, 09:35 AM

FFS, so am I!

Hibbyradge
25-01-2018, 09:42 AM
He always looks like he's just woken up randomly.

That's an excellent observation. He looks exactly like that.

If you told me he was just going to get a coffee before his morning shower, I'd believe you! :hilarious

heretoday
25-01-2018, 09:43 AM

That's very true!

But it makes you wonder what they do actually practise in training or is it all physical jerks?

I remember Marinello playing three-and-in with his pals in the park in his afternoons off. Too risky now I suppose.

Firestarter
25-01-2018, 09:49 AM

If you told me he was just going to get a coffee before his morning shower, I'd believe you! :hilarious

:greengrin

hibsbollah
25-01-2018, 09:50 AM
When did he play?

I've been using a French keyboard app on my phone and the spellchecker keeps chucking in random acutes and graves all over the place :greengrin

J-C
25-01-2018, 09:52 AM
Great pace and lots of trickery but has zero end product at times, almost no composure but does put the fear into defenders when he runs at them, just like Boyle.

Shrekko
25-01-2018, 09:56 AM

This is totally true but... isn't it a breath of fresh air? The boy is just a bit different and for me it's great to see. Neil Lennon compared him to Chris Waddle and you can see what he means- it's really not easy to be a box of tricks player in todays super tactical era but he just does things with that languid style that are unbelievable.

Again the caveat is we need to start seeing the end product but surely we persevere with a talent like this?

Sergio sledge
25-01-2018, 10:43 AM
According to ESPN FC http://www.espnfc.com/scottish-premiership/45/statistics/assists he's got the most assists in our team, admittedly only with three, so he does have some end product, but he needs to start finishing some of his chances. I think we play better as a team when we have Boyle on one side and Barker on the other, it is a balanced formation and gives teams a lot to think about in defence. Hopefully MacLaren has a bit of composure in the box and can start finishing off the chances we create.

Hibee87
25-01-2018, 10:50 AM
He has the natural talent it's how to become more productive. He always looks like he's just woken up randomly.

haha I said to the Mrs last night he always looks angry and confused, and also a lot like Beavis from Beavis and Butthead

KWJ
25-01-2018, 11:02 AM
I've gotta go against the grain too and say I think he's been more Alan O'Brien than erm, Joe Baker!?

He's had about the same amount of end product as O'Brien (I'm surprised at the 3 assists, I can remember 1) and while he is bloody exciting to watch as he beats men and runs faster than any man should ultimately nothing happens.

He doesn't defend well and he can't finish.

He does however terrify defenders, especially Hearts but I don't think he should be starting games and I wouldn't be surprised if his career goes more O'Brien downwards than Messi upwards.

Sproule looked far less in control of what he was doing in his first spell at Hibs but there was much more end product and, most importantly, goals.

He is fun to watch though, of that there's no doubt. Slivka wasn't very involved last night but what he did do was good and in the box. When has Barker done anything positive in the box?

Hibbyradge
25-01-2018, 11:08 AM
haha I said to the Mrs last night he always looks angry and confused, and also a lot like Beavis from Beavis and Butthead

https://s18.postimg.org/3zqx8huqd/hqdefault.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/3zqx8huqd/) https://s18.postimg.org/currj21j9/1509636313259.png (http://postimg.org/image/currj21j9/)

-----------Beavis ---------------------- Barker

lyonhibs
25-01-2018, 11:15 AM
When did he play?

Alt + 130 I think for it over an e. Or maybe Alt + 133.

Mikey09
25-01-2018, 11:41 AM
I've gotta go against the grain too and say I think he's been more Alan O'Brien than erm, Joe Baker!?

He's had about the same amount of end product as O'Brien (I'm surprised at the 3 assists, I can remember 1) and while he is bloody exciting to watch as he beats men and runs faster than any man should ultimately nothing happens.

He doesn't defend well and he can't finish.

He does however terrify defenders, especially Hearts but I don't think he should be starting games and I wouldn't be surprised if his career goes more O'Brien downwards than Messi upwards.

Sproule looked far less in control of what he was doing in his first spell at Hibs but there was much more end product and, most importantly, goals.

He is fun to watch though, of that there's no doubt. Slivka wasn't very involved last night but what he did do was good and in the box. When has Barker done anything positive in the box?

Set up the winning goal for Murray in the first Derby?

Firestarter
25-01-2018, 11:46 AM
https://s18.postimg.org/3zqx8huqd/hqdefault.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/3zqx8huqd/) https://s18.postimg.org/currj21j9/1509636313259.png (http://postimg.org/image/currj21j9/)

-----------Beavis ---------------------- Barker

😂😂😂

JimBHibees
25-01-2018, 11:47 AM

Set up Murray again at Hamilton with a great run from his own half. Incredibly unlucky v Rangers when he hit both posts and another shot just over the bar. Could do with a goal and Saturday would be as good a place as any?

OsloHibs
25-01-2018, 11:58 AM
I like him. But wish he would pass more in the box than going for goal. Can't believe I'm saying that!!!!

Deansy
25-01-2018, 12:04 PM

My thoughts exactly - he goes past defenders as if they don't exist !!

KWJ
25-01-2018, 12:12 PM

That was outside the box, as was the Hamilton run which was bloody impressive.

The Rangers game for me at Ibrox was a standout as he was sensational and had the exception that he was more unlucky rather than wasteful with his final product.

Hibrandenburg
25-01-2018, 12:18 PM

A good start would be if they started working on crossing once they get to the byline. They waltz past defenders on their way to the corner flag only to stop there and force our strikers to go look for the short pass. CROSS THE ****ING BALL!!!!

TonyStokeprano
25-01-2018, 12:20 PM

The Rangers game for me at Ibrox was a standout as he was sensational and had the exception that he was more unlucky rather than wasteful with his final product.

he never played at ibrox

Edinburgh Green
25-01-2018, 12:23 PM
I like him but he is very hot and cold.

One thing that does every time he plays that drives me nuts, is that he never runs into space, especially if Stevenson has the ball running down the wing. Stevenson usually overlaps him then pass back to him before he'll attempt to go on a mazy run!

With his pace if he started his run allowing Lewis to play a through ball up the wing im certain he would get in behind the defence time and time again. Very frustrating!

Iggy Pope
25-01-2018, 12:26 PM

Easter Road though?

Last night he was exasperating. He certainly lacks confidence in finishing. Looks to me as if he'd prefer to run past the goalie and into the net. The sclaff at the back post in particular, he just seem to run out of ideas.
He definitely had Hibbies out their seats last night though and his runs are electric. I suppose if he could finish he wouldn't be here.......

Simon Murray on the other hand. The chance at the back post when he elected to shove the defender in the back rather than head everything into the net was pretty criminal. The shove lacked discretion apart from anything else :greengrin

Ronniekirk
25-01-2018, 12:30 PM

And Murray s goal at Hamilton away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lago
25-01-2018, 12:30 PM
He's class just needs to work on finishing and assists. Shame we only have half a season to go with him. Ball sticks to his feet and he just glides past people.
The problem he has is that at his home club he is measured against Leroy Sanne.

KWJ
25-01-2018, 12:33 PM
Easter Road though?

Last night he was exasperating. He certainly lacks confidence in finishing. Looks to me as if he'd prefer to run past the goalie and into the net. The sclaff at the back post in particular, he just seem to run out of ideas.
He definitely had Hibbies out their seats last night though and his runs are electric. I suppose if he could finish he wouldn't be here.......

Simon Murray on the other hand. The chance at the back post when he elected to shove the defender in the back rather than head everything into the net was pretty criminal. The shove lacked discretion apart from anything else :greengrin

Sorry, yeah, I meant ER.

He's no O'Brien yet because, as I remember, AOB lost all confidence to even try taking people on and would just pass the ball back so was a wasted jersey. Barker can drive us up the pitch if nothing else. But he's a long way from being as productive as Sproule who, while technically inferior, could score goals and make the right choice with passes. Sometimes :greengrin

Stevie Reid
25-01-2018, 12:43 PM
Set up Murray again at Hamilton with a great run from his own half. Incredibly unlucky v Rangers when he hit both posts and another shot just over the bar. Could do with a goal and Saturday would be as good a place as any?

:agree:

Plenty of space to run into at Celtic Park as well, Jim.

hibsbollah
25-01-2018, 01:52 PM
The other thing that hasn't been mentioned is he hasn't been 100% fit, which is why Lennon didn't start him in the derby. He's still getting up to speed, which is good news for us.

southern hibby
25-01-2018, 02:53 PM
Ok here’s a question for everyone. If Hibs had the opportunity to buy him, what’s the max you would pay in transfer fee and wages?

GGTTH

Peevemor
25-01-2018, 02:55 PM
Ok here’s a question for everyone. If Hibs had the opportunity to buy him, what’s the max you would pay in transfer fee and wages?

GGTTH

One million dollars.

Iggy Pope
25-01-2018, 02:57 PM

GGTTH

I would only be paying his bloody wages from my seat and my shares and my HSL subs and my stuff that I buy at the shoap and pies and that. ****ed if I'm paying the fee as well. I'm no some Aberdonian millionaire.

HoboHarry
25-01-2018, 02:59 PM
Sorry, yeah, I meant ER.

He's no O'Brien yet because, as I remember, AOB lost all confidence to even try taking people on and would just pass the ball back so was a wasted jersey. Barker can drive us up the pitch if nothing else. But he's a long way from being as productive as Sproule who, while technically inferior, could score goals and make the right choice with passes. Sometimes :greengrin
Even if the reality was that the pass landed in the stands........ :greengrin

southern hibby
25-01-2018, 03:01 PM
I would only be paying his bloody wages from my seat and my shares and my HSL subs and my stuff that I buy at the shoap and pies and that. ****ed if I'm paying the fee as well. I'm no some Aberdonian millionaire.

Fair one lol

GGTTH

hibsbollah
25-01-2018, 03:01 PM

GGTTH

£250,000 and £150k-£200k a year in wages or something. But he will able to command a higher salary than that elsewhere so thats not likely to happen. As usual, 'value' and 'price' are very different things!

bigwheel
25-01-2018, 03:08 PM
£250,000 and £150k-£200k a year in wages or something. But he will able to command a higher salary than that elsewhere so thats not likely to happen. As usual, 'value' and 'price' are very different things!

4k per week - that would make him around Hibs highest earner...

JDHibs
25-01-2018, 03:17 PM
Barkers on a reported £10k a week at City, no chance we would get anywhere near that. Be lucky if anyone, including Stokes, is on £6-7k a week.

hibsbollah
25-01-2018, 03:24 PM
Barkers on a reported £10k a week at City, no chance we would get anywhere near that. Be lucky if anyone, including Stokes, is on £6-7k a week.

...as i said, he's able to earn more than we could offer him. but within our structure i think he'd be near the top of the wage earners.

greenlex
25-01-2018, 04:20 PM
If you can’t finish by the time you are 21 you can’t finish.

bigwheel
25-01-2018, 04:21 PM

I'd pretty much agree with that...

HoboHarry
25-01-2018, 04:23 PM
Step forward Raheem Sterling - totally different player this season and compared to previous seasons, he is knocking them in for fun......

greenlex
25-01-2018, 04:29 PM
Step forward Raheem Sterling - totally different player this season and compared to previous seasons, he is knocking them in for fun......

Scored plenty before he was 21.

HoboHarry
25-01-2018, 04:39 PM
Scored plenty before he was 21.
In the last 4 seasons he scored 10, 11, 11, and ten - this season he has 18 already.

greenlex
25-01-2018, 04:51 PM
In the last 4 seasons he scored 10, 11, 11, and ten - this season he has 18 already.

So you agree he could finish before he was 21? He might be getting better at it or getting more chances to convert playing in that City side but he could still finish before he was 21.

ac1
25-01-2018, 04:51 PM

GGTTH

Barker is a strange player at times - one moment it looks like he could play for Man City then the next moment you are wondering if he is good enough for us. He can go past people like they are not there but then sometimes is a bit static and does not seem to link up that great with Stevenson at times.

I like him though and if he could improve his finishing we would have a good player on our hands. We cried out for ages for a bit pace on the wings and with him and Boyle we have it. Just need to work on the finishing!

Iggy Pope
25-01-2018, 04:52 PM

40 goals by 22 and not a No 9 doesn't seem shabby. Sounds like the player he is now. Top.

Keith_M
25-01-2018, 05:50 PM
...........He doesnt score or assist and he is a forward/winger.....

Which raises the question of what he actually brings to the team.

Stevie Reid
25-01-2018, 06:59 PM
Which raises the question of what he actually brings to the team.

It really doesn't. Aside from the fact that someone else has already pointed out that he's contributed the most assists for us this season (which renders the post you quoted moot), whether or not he makes a meaningful contribution in a game is not purely measured in goals or assists.

He puts the fear into opposition defences, often occupying more than one defender, which leaves space for others - he continually runs at defenders, tiring them out and wearing them down. He does lots of things that are to the team's benefit.

And he's exciting to watch.

Tornadoes70
25-01-2018, 07:05 PM
It really doesn't. Aside from the fact that someone else has already pointed out that he's contributed the most assists for us this season (which renders the post you quoted moot), whether or not he makes a meaningful contribution in a game is not purely measured in goals or assists.

He puts the fear into opposition defences, often occupying more than one defender, which leaves space for others - he continually runs at defenders, tiring them out and wearing them down. He does lots of things that are to the team's benefit.

And he's exciting to watch.

:top marks

Even if his shots hit off the post, keeper's legs or blocked by defenders etc there's potential opportunities for incoming players to knock in rebounds. Some of his play is a joy to watch and keeps us on the front foot. Exactly the type of player that we should relish and one that sells tickets.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

BoomtownHibees
25-01-2018, 07:06 PM
He doesnt score or assist and he is a forward/winger.

He does the assist part pretty well

Sammy7nil
25-01-2018, 07:16 PM
He does the assist part pretty well

He doesn't. I really like him but for the game time he has had and the position he plays he should deliver more.

Stevie Reid
25-01-2018, 07:24 PM
He doesn't. I really like him but for the game time he has had and the position he plays he should deliver more.

Not having the last touch before someone scores doesn't mean you haven't made a meaningful contribution in the creation of a goal.

For example, the move for our goal last night was started by a great cross field pass from Stevenson. Everything starts with that. Then Murray, Ambrose and Slivka all played their part.

BoomtownHibees
25-01-2018, 07:25 PM

He’s had more assists than anybody else in the team so must be doing something right

Stevie Reid
25-01-2018, 07:32 PM
Incidentally, did assists not only start coming into the equation because they gained folk points in fanstasy football?

They'll tell you a lot in the NFL. Less so in real football.

LaMotta
25-01-2018, 07:39 PM
He’s had more assists than anybody else in the team so must be doing something right

Has he? how many does he have?

BoomtownHibees
25-01-2018, 07:41 PM

LaMotta
25-01-2018, 07:43 PM

:aok:

Hearts, Hamilton and Shaw's winner vs Ross County presumably.

Surely someone else has at least 3?!

BoomtownHibees
25-01-2018, 07:44 PM

Hearts, Hamilton and Shaw's winner vs Ross County presumably.

Surely someone else has at least 3?!

Murray is next with 2. Think the stats are just league games

Stevie Reid
25-01-2018, 07:45 PM

Here's the SPL list. It might default to goalscorers so you'll need to select Assists at the top - also I could only see the amount a player had on my mobile by holding it on landscape view.

Highest number is 6

http://www.soccernews.com/soccer-stats/scottish-premier-league/top-scorers-assists/

Brooster
25-01-2018, 07:52 PM
I love watching his direct approach and the way he glides past players. Yes his end product could be better but that will come. He causes problems....which I like.

LaMotta
25-01-2018, 07:56 PM
Murray is next with 2. Think the stats are just league games

Here's the SPL list. It might default to goalscorers so you'll need to select Assists at the top - also I could only see the amount a player had on my mobile by holding it on landscape view.

Highest number is 6

http://www.soccernews.com/soccer-stats/scottish-premier-league/top-scorers-assists/

Have to say that whilst Barker is frustrating, he brings a lot to the table.

Whilst its obvious a big pitch should suit him with his pace im dissapointed he didnt/couldnt start at Tynie, because his ability to turn a player inside out on a small pitch like that could have helped open them up.

Really can't decide which way his career will go after us.

blackpoolhibs
25-01-2018, 08:05 PM
I love watching his direct approach and the way he glides past players. Yes his end product could be better but that will come. He causes problems....which I like.

Yip, and it keeps defenders defending because they are scared to go forward with Barker and Boyles pace.

I like what they both give us, could they do better, yes, but i'd rather we played wide men who can go past a player than 4 or 5 midfielders who are really central midfielders.

ekhibee
25-01-2018, 08:24 PM
The problem he has is that at his home club he is measured against Leroy Sanne.
Ironic that the same team have one of the most dynamic, exciting players to watch in the English Premiership and one of the most exciting, dynamic players in the Scottish Premiership. Major difference is that Sanne scores plenty of goals as well. Barker is brilliant to watch at times though, he's one of the few players who can really get the majority of the crowd on their feet every time he goes on a run.

SirDavidsNapper
25-01-2018, 08:28 PM
If Barker had some end product he'd be worth millions. Sadly he couldn't finish a packet of Hula Hoops or put a decent cross in

snooky
25-01-2018, 08:32 PM
Yip, and it keeps defenders defending because they are scared to go forward with Barker and Boyles pace.

I like what they both give us, could they do better, yes, but i'd rather we played wide men who can go past a player than 4 or 5 midfielders who are really central midfielders.

Oh for a Jimmy O'Rourke and/or Alan Gordon to bury these chances.

HoboHarry
25-01-2018, 08:32 PM
Oh for a Jimmy O'Rourke and/or Alan Gordon to bury these chances.
How long would we be able to keep them?

MWHIBBIES
25-01-2018, 08:41 PM
Oh for a Jimmy O'Rourke and/or Alan Gordon to bury these chances.Its not as if Barker is firing multiple good crosses into the box every game, lucky if he gets 1 decent cross in. First man or opposite corner flag 9 times out of 10.

flash
25-01-2018, 08:56 PM
Its not as if Barker is firing multiple good crosses into the box every game, lucky if he gets 1 decent cross in. First man or opposite corner flag 9 times out of 10.

Take a day off.

MWHIBBIES
25-01-2018, 09:14 PM
Take a day off.Yeah, okay. His 1 assist from a cross proves me wrong right enough, its everyone else fault, not his poor crossing.

ancient hibee
25-01-2018, 09:30 PM
Assists stats are a waste of time.All they count is the final pass while the real assist is often the pass that led to the final pass or the run that took a defender out of position.

Tornadoes70
25-01-2018, 09:34 PM
Yeah, okay. His 1 assist from a cross proves me wrong right enough, its everyone else fault, not his poor crossing.

His and Boyle's game is much more than simply getting to the byeline and crossing. They're bursting forward into the box getting shots off, holding up play while keeping us on the front foot, linking play between midfield and forward/s, retaining possession, keeping opposition full/wing backs occupied. Plus they are very entertaining with their trickery and runs at the opposition We should be appreciating them not criticising them especially after a very good hard fought win in midweek with good individual performances and the team working as a unit.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

MWHIBBIES
25-01-2018, 09:44 PM
His and Boyle's game is much more than simply getting to the byeline and crossing. They're bursting forward into the box getting shots off, holding up play while keeping us on the front foot, linking play between midfield and forward/s, retaining possession, keeping opposition full/wing backs occupied. Plus they are very entertaining with their trickery and runs at the opposition We should be appreciating them not criticising them especially after a very good hard fought win in midweek with good individual performances and the team working as a unit.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

I don't see why I shouldn't criticise Barker, he has aspects of his game which are pretty poor and he needs to improve on. I'm entertained by goals, he doesn't offer enough in terms of us scoring them. What is the point in busting into the box and taking a shot if it never goes in?

Tornadoes70
25-01-2018, 09:50 PM
I don't see why I shouldn't criticise Barker, he has aspects of his game which are pretty poor and he needs to improve on. I'm entertained by goals, he doesn't offer enough in terms of us scoring them. What is the point in busting into the box and taking a shot if it never goes in?

Nobody's saying you can't criticise individual players just as its my prerogative to counter argument when I disagree. I'm merely pointing out there's so much more to Brandon's game than simply making it to the byeline and putting in a cross.

As for the shooting aspect. Even the most prolific goalscorers don't score with every shot. There's also the chance his shot could come back off the keeper or defender and an incoming player gets the rebound. The more Brandon and Boyler get into the box and get shots off the more likely it is they will find the back of the net.

I really like Brandon and thought he had a good game last night.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

Mikey09
25-01-2018, 09:55 PM

We get it mate, you don't rate him.

MWHIBBIES
25-01-2018, 10:01 PM
Nobody's saying you can't criticise individual players just as its my prerogative to counter argument when I disagree. I'm merely pointing out there's so much more to Brandon's game than simply making it to the byeline and putting in a cross.

As for the shooting aspect. Even the most prolific goalscorers don't score with every shot. There's also the chance his shot could come back off the keeper or defender and an incoming player gets the rebound. The more Brandon and Boyler get into the box and get shots off the more likely it is they will find the back of the net.

I really like Brandon and thought he had a good game last night.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

They score some shots though, like 1 in 20 odd games at least. 0 goals 3 assists in 20 games for a winger tells me he isn't doing enough.

I'm not talking about him only hitting the byline and crossing, I'm talking about him not contributing anywhere near enough in general. The average Barker performance involves him standing on the halfway line, getting the ball to feet, going on a good but ultimately fruitless run then not touching the ball for 5/10 minutes. He has to be more involved, more dynamic and produce a better end product. There is no way I'd be considering keeping him, especially if we had to pay a fee, based on his performances so far.

MWHIBBIES
25-01-2018, 10:03 PM
We get it mate, you don't rate him.That all you have to say? I'll continue giving my thoughts as long as others continue to give theirs, that is what forums are for. You make out like I'm seeking attention when in reality, your post is doing that.

Tornadoes70
25-01-2018, 10:06 PM
They score some shots though, like 1 in 20 odd games at least. 0 goals 3 assists in 20 games for a winger tells me he isn't doing enough.

I'm not talking about him only hitting the byline and crossing, I'm talking about him not contributing anywhere near enough in general. The average Barker performance involves him standing on the halfway line, getting the ball to feet, going on a good but ultimately fruitless run then not touching the ball for 5/10 minutes. He has to be more involved, more dynamic and produce a better end product. There is no way I'd be considering keeping him, especially if we had to pay a fee, based on his performances so far.

I'd love for us to be able to keep Brandon long term but hey ho its all about opinions. It never ceases to amaze me how my brother and I sit together but afterwards find out we both had entirely differing opinions on key aspects of the game we had just sat together and watched.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

Shrekko
25-01-2018, 10:10 PM
If Barker had some end product he'd be worth millions. Sadly he couldn't finish a packet of Hula Hoops or put a decent cross in

Wouldn’t bet against him being worth millions in a year or two. He needs experience that’s all- like a lot of English talent his pathway to first team football is blocked at his parent club.

I wonder if those moaning about him and Boyle remember how pedestrian we were a lot of the time in recent seasons? It’s great having players with pace to burn and skill tearing up the flanks.

Mikey09
25-01-2018, 10:15 PM
That all you have to say? I'll continue giving my thoughts as long as others continue to give theirs, that is what forums are for. You make out like I'm seeking attention when in reality, your post is doing that.

I started the thread by saying when he starts scoring we will be a different animal. He is contributing. His sheer presence frightens the life out of full backs. His runs and footwork are a joy to watch. I can see positives in his play and am convinced a goal or two will make him even better. All your posts are negative. "He Cannae cross, he Cannae finish." Try being a bit more positive and look at what he brings to the team.

ancient hibee
25-01-2018, 10:15 PM
Both Barker and Boyle should look at the coverage of the chance Swanson laid on for Murray.Both of them are much faster than him but he showed how to get to the line and what to do when he got there.

MWHIBBIES
25-01-2018, 11:36 PM
I started the thread by saying when he starts scoring we will be a different animal. He is contributing. His sheer presence frightens the life out of full backs. His runs and footwork are a joy to watch. I can see positives in his play and am convinced a goal or two will make him even better. All your posts are negative. "He Cannae cross, he Cannae finish." Try being a bit more positive and look at what he brings to the team.
What do you gain from focusing purely on the positive aspects of a players game? I want him to do the good things more often and the bad things better.

A goal or 2 will make him better, wish he'd hurry up and score them.

ekhibee
26-01-2018, 01:39 AM
That all you have to say? I'll continue giving my thoughts as long as others continue to give theirs, that is what forums are for. You make out like I'm seeking attention when in reality, your post is doing that.
You were seeking out attention a long time before their post, because you really don't seem to rate the player at all whereas the majority of others on this forum do. Others have rightly drawn attention to the fact that he has deficiencies that need to be addressed, but at the same time recognize some of the abilities he does have which are a benefit to the team and which most people apart from you like to watch. If your argument was balanced you'd probably find most people agreeing with you, but you seem to concentrate almost totally on his deficiencies and nothing else. That's why you'll find a lot of people disagreeing with you.

MWHIBBIES
26-01-2018, 06:07 AM
You were seeking out attention a long time before their post, because you really don't seem to rate the player at all whereas the majority of others on this forum do. Others have rightly drawn attention to the fact that he has deficiencies that need to be addressed, but at the same time recognize some of the abilities he does have which are a benefit to the team and which most people apart from you like to watch. If your argument was balanced you'd probably find most people agreeing with you, but you seem to concentrate almost totally on his deficiencies and nothing else. That's why you'll find a lot of people disagreeing with you.
So because I didnt add to 4 pages saying positive things I am attention seeking?

Its not like I'm slaughtering him based on nothing, I am pointing out clear weaknesses that have been apparent all season and dont show signs of improving.

eastcoasthibby
26-01-2018, 08:01 AM
Not sure.what Barkers contract wage or length looksike with Man City but I hope we are seriously asking the question about his potential availability to us at the.end of the season ...it might a bit of a risk but, I think he has got that something that teams want and need, and would take him permanently on a contract.if at all possible ..love watching him, he has that capacity to do special things and those are a gift ..Boyle has developed with us, I think Barker is at a better start point than Boyle and will only improve ....

wookie70
26-01-2018, 08:17 AM
Lots to like about Barker and he certainly has good feet and pace and isn't frightened to lose the ball and take a risk or too. The problem is end product. I doubt we will get much from him unless we manage to hold on to him for another year. Boyle is now just starting to score the goals and put in more consistent performances but he has a far better work ethic on the pitch than Brandon. Barker is incredibly poor off the ball and there really isn't an excuse for that these days. He needs to up his game to include tracking back, tackling and awareness when the opposition has the ball and also work on his finishing as Wednesday clearly demonstrated. He looks more than capable of doing well in the game but aside from being entertaining he really hasn't affected as many Hibs games this year as I would have hoped. Not all his fault as part of the issue is the lack of numbers in the box for him to aim at. Wednesday saw McGinn score and make a few late runs into the box and if he or others continue to do that then I think Barker and Hibs can start to profit far more from the good work he does out wide.

hibsbollah
26-01-2018, 09:47 AM
Lots to like about Barker and he certainly has good feet and pace and isn't frightened to lose the ball and take a risk or too. The problem is end product. I doubt we will get much from him unless we manage to hold on to him for another year. Boyle is now just starting to score the goals and put in more consistent performances but he has a far better work ethic on the pitch than Brandon. Barker is incredibly poor off the ball and there really isn't an excuse for that these days. He needs to up his game to include tracking back, tackling and awareness when the opposition has the ball and also work on his finishing as Wednesday clearly demonstrated. He looks more than capable of doing well in the game but aside from being entertaining he really hasn't affected as many Hibs games this year as I would have hoped. Not all his fault as part of the issue is the lack of numbers in the box for him to aim at. Wednesday saw McGinn score and make a few late runs into the box and if he or others continue to do that then I think Barker and Hibs can start to profit far more from the good work he does out wide.

I think there's a glimmer of hope in that he's realistically never going to start for City with possibly three or four players ahead of him in his position... Is he really wanting to sit on the bench for a couple of carabao Cup ties at this stage of his career?

Still, the £numbers suggest it's not going to happen.

ekhibee
26-01-2018, 11:34 AM
So because I didnt add to 4 pages saying positive things I am attention seeking?

Its not like I'm slaughtering him based on nothing, I am pointing out clear weaknesses that have been apparent all season and dont show signs of improving.
It's not just on this thread, you've been critisizing him on any other threads relating to him. Obviously you're totally entitled to have an alternative view from the majority of other people, but somebody else is quite right to say that they get it, you don't like him.

MWHIBBIES
26-01-2018, 04:38 PM
It's not just on this thread, you've been critisizing him on any other threads relating to him. Obviously you're totally entitled to have an alternative view from the majority of other people, but somebody else is quite right to say that they get it, you don't like him.

So essentially I give my thoughts on threads throughout the forum? I dont dislike him or any Hibs players,I just have some different thoughts on what he brings to the side

thebausburst
26-01-2018, 04:44 PM

I don’t rate him much, no real end product, the odd exciting run is not enough for me, Martin Boyle way more productive and real goal threat.

thebausburst
26-01-2018, 04:45 PM
This 100%