PDA

View Full Version : UEFA Nations League Draw

Bishop Hibee
24-01-2018, 11:12 AM
Live via UEFA.com now. Inter-toto cup or great new competition? Can’t see it succeeding to be honest but probably worth a try.

Frazerbob
24-01-2018, 11:14 AM
Another chance to qualify, less friendlies and some cracking potential trips in our group. What’s not to like?

danhibees1875
24-01-2018, 11:25 AM
I'd forgotten about this!

Looks like league C (Scotland's) is up now...

Big_Franck
24-01-2018, 11:26 AM
Our section being drawn now:

POT 1
Hungary
Romania
Scotland
Slovenia

POT 2
Greece
Serbia
Albania
Norway

POT 3
Montenegro
Israel
Bulgaria
Finland

POT 4
Cyprus
Estonia
Lithuania

seanshow
24-01-2018, 11:29 AM
Its a difficult one to get your head around, 55 teams into groups and then a knockout finish down to the final seems straight forward.
But the important bit is hard to find, how many European Championships places are up for offer out of these 55 starters? Answers on a postcard :confused:

Big_Franck
24-01-2018, 11:30 AM
Our group is:

GROUP 1
Scotland
Albania
Israel

One less team than the other groups so I don't know how that all works out.

Albanian Hibs
24-01-2018, 11:31 AM
Our group is:

GROUP 1
Scotland
Albania
Israel

One less team than the other groups so I don't know how that all works out.

Yes !! Husband v Wife rivalry at last 😀

KWJ
24-01-2018, 11:33 AM

Albania worth a visit for the football bud? Tirana is it?

Bishop Hibee
24-01-2018, 11:35 AM
Two thrillers 🙄 We must top the group surely. I’d expect one game to be played at ER given the crowds will be small.

Souter96Mac
24-01-2018, 11:36 AM
Rocky vs SJM

Pretty Boy
24-01-2018, 11:37 AM
Where do Israel play their games? I've always wanted to go to Jerusalem but the cost is quite prohibitive. If there was a charter of some sort this could be the chance.

Peevemor
24-01-2018, 11:38 AM

Your wife's Israeli?

Hermit Crab
Just another excuse to fleece fans imo.

Pretty Boy

I went to Tirana on a day trip from Corfu, loved it and would recommend. Really nice city.

Hermit Crab
Your wife's Israeli?

I think her husbands Albanian.

KWJ
24-01-2018, 11:39 AM
Its a difficult one to get your head around, 55 teams into groups and then a knockout finish down to the final seems straight forward.
But the important bit is hard to find, how many European Championships places are up for offer out of these 55 starters? Answers on a postcard :confused:

I believe the winners of each group in a league go into a playoff for the euro spot. If the winner has already qualified it goes to the next team down. I'm not sure if different leagues can be drawn against each other then or if, say no group winner from our league qualifies and say it's Scotland, Hungary, Slovenia and Romania that win the groups. I think we'd play off for the euro spot. Could be very wrong though!

KWJ
24-01-2018, 11:40 AM
Just another excuse to fleece fans imo.

Why? The teams would be playing friendlies at this point anyway, might as well make them mean something.

Peevemor
Your wife's Israeli?

I think her husbands Albanian.

The world's gone mad ...:greengrin

KWJ
I went to Tirana on a day trip from Corfu, loved it and would recommend. Really nice city.

Good to know, cheers.

we are hibs
24-01-2018, 11:41 AM
If we top this group we reach the play offs for the euros. Can't see us beating either side away from home.

Mikey
24-01-2018, 11:43 AM
Why? The teams would be playing friendlies at this point anyway, might as well make them mean something.

Bonkers innit. If you don't buy a ticket you're not a proper fan and if you do buy a ticket you're being fleeced.

You're wasting your time.

CallumLaidlaw
24-01-2018, 11:46 AM

Theres 4 leagues. We are in league C. Each league is split into 4 groups. There will be 1 spot at Euro 2020 for each league. So the 4 group winners in league C then play each other in a 1 off semi, then final to decide who gets the spot.

The 4 group winners also then get promoted to the league above. While the 4 group winners in League A play a mini tournament in summer 2019

Brummie_Hibs
24-01-2018, 11:46 AM
My credit card is going to take a bashing this month following Scotland.

I've already booked up Hungary, Peru and Mexico. Now costly flights to Israel and Albania. Was hoping for cheapies to Greece and Bulgaria.

Firestarter
24-01-2018, 11:47 AM
If we top this group we reach the play offs for the euros. Can't see us beating either side away from home.

I think we will win all games.

BigT-Hibeez
24-01-2018, 11:49 AM
Where do Israel play their games? I've always wanted to go to Jerusalem but the cost is quite prohibitive. If there was a charter of some sort this could be the chance.

Tel Aviv

Firestarter
24-01-2018, 11:50 AM
Theres 4 leagues. We are in league C. Each league is split into 4 groups. There will be 1 spot at Euro 2020 for each league. So the 4 group winners in league C then play each other in a 1 off semi, then final to decide who gets the spot.

The 4 group winners also then get promoted to the league above. While the 4 group winners in League A play a mini tournament in summer 2019

So all the ***** in league D play and someone makes the Euros? That can't be right.

CallumLaidlaw
24-01-2018, 11:51 AM
So all the ***** in league D play and someone makes the Euros? That can't be right.

absolutely right. We should maybe deliberately finish bottom of our group to give us a better chance of Euro 2024 :greengrin

Firestarter
24-01-2018, 11:53 AM
absolutely right. We should maybe deliberately finish bottom of our group to give us a better chance of Euro 2024 :greengrin

That's what I was thinking. That's mental haha.

Albanian Hibs
24-01-2018, 11:54 AM
The world's gone mad ...:greengrin

😂

Albanian Hibs
24-01-2018, 11:55 AM

Tirana is a lovely city. I assume the match will be played there.

Roxyhibee
24-01-2018, 12:00 PM

Haha, excellent.

GillyHibee
24-01-2018, 12:04 PM
You would be assuming that all teams in group A will qualify for the Euro anyway, and a couple of Group B.. which is kinda pointless for these teams

Brummie_Hibs
24-01-2018, 12:05 PM
Tirana is a lovely city. I assume the match will be played there.

What is the best/cheapest way to get there? Noticed there are ferries from Bari, which is served by RyanAir.

Albanian Hibs
24-01-2018, 12:07 PM
What is the best/cheapest way to get there? Noticed there are ferries from Bari, which is served by RyanAir.

Depends when it is. We struggle to get any cheap flights when we go over. Our normal route is Edi to Gatwick to Tirana with BA. Flight to the Italian cities usually involve a nights stopover as the times never work out. You can fly to Corfu with Ryanair and get the ferry over but then it's another 2-3 hour drive from Sarande to Tirana.

Albanian Hibs
24-01-2018, 12:08 PM
Any idea what the dates are for these?

Brummie_Hibs
24-01-2018, 12:10 PM
Depends when it is. We struggle to get any cheap flights when we go over. Our normal route is Edi to Gatwick to Tirana with BA. Flight to the Italian cities usually involve a nights stopover as the times never work out. You can fly to Corfu with Ryanair and get the ferry over but then it's another 2-3 hour drive from Sarande to Tirana.

Cheers - fixtures are announced at 3pm, so we'll know soon.

Albanian Hibs
24-01-2018, 12:12 PM
These matches will be played across September, October and November 2018. Exact fixture dates and kick-off times will be announced this afternoon at 3.30pm.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
24-01-2018, 12:17 PM
Another chance to qualify, less friendlies and some cracking potential trips in our group. What’s not to like?

Seems a good idea. Only downside i can see is it might make managers more reluctant to blood youngsters like SJM in the competitive games and stick with tried and tested, experienced players :dunno:

JeMeSouviens
24-01-2018, 12:20 PM
Tel Aviv

Their world cup qualifiers were split between Haifa (3) and Jerusalem (2).

IGRIGI
24-01-2018, 12:20 PM
Interesting draw from a travel perspective and also due to the fact we've never played Albania and don't play frequently Israel.

From a football/qualification perspective it's probably the most tricky draw we could've got.

Frazerbob
24-01-2018, 12:42 PM

Been twice. Both times flew via Cologne. I doubt there will be a charter but if there is, it will be FAR more expensive than doing it yourself. Israel is an amazing place. Definitely worth the effort.

G B Young
24-01-2018, 12:43 PM

You could say the same about all the ***** in League C :wink: I may be reading the format wrong but it would seem that even Scotland would have to sink to new levels of ineptitude NOT to qualify for the next Euros.

patlowe
24-01-2018, 01:07 PM
You could say the same about all the ***** in League C :wink: I may be reading the format wrong but it would seem that even Scotland would have to sink to new levels of ineptitude NOT to qualify for the next Euros.

Not convinced about that. Fail to top this group (which will not be straightforward) and we have significantly less chance of qualifying than we did for the previous Euros when it felt like we were the only ones not there. Well, as I understand it anyway.

CallumLaidlaw
24-01-2018, 01:44 PM
Not convinced about that. Fail to top this group (which will not be straightforward) and we have significantly less chance of qualifying than we did for the previous Euros when it felt like we were the only ones not there. Well, as I understand it anyway.

Euro 2020 qualification will be 10 groups (5 groups with 5 teams, 5 groups with 6 teams) with the top 2 teams qualifying for the tournament.

The other 4 spots will come from the Nations league.

The nations league is an alternative to the play offs basically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seanshow
24-01-2018, 03:53 PM
Thats good to know that there are 4 places up for grabs for the euros via this tournament, otherwise it would just be a pointless diddy cup.

Pete
24-01-2018, 03:56 PM
Israel and Albania are pretty decent teams.

This has another whiff of glorious failure about it.

HibbyAndy
24-01-2018, 03:59 PM
Won't we bit in a proper Euro 2020 qualification group like ?:confused:

Albanian Hibs
24-01-2018, 04:01 PM
Still patiently waiting on the fixtures being announced....

CropleyWasGod
24-01-2018, 04:03 PM

Yes, we will.

Theses fixtures are designed to take the place of friendly games. There will still be the traditional qualifying competition.

In theory, therefore, there are 2 ways of qualifying.

Firestarter
24-01-2018, 04:03 PM

Yes. This is a fall back if we fail to qualify. We will want Albania and Isreal to do well too.

Bristolhibby
24-01-2018, 04:25 PM
Still patiently waiting on the fixtures being announced....

The FAI tweeted that UEFA are behind schedule, it’s 16:30 GMT for the fixtures now.

J

Albanian Hibs
24-01-2018, 04:26 PM
The FAI tweeted that UEFA are behind schedule, it’s 16:30 GMT for the fixtures now.

J

Cheers

Oscar T Grouch
24-01-2018, 04:32 PM
So this is like the Intertoto of the Euros, if you don't qualify the traditional way there is still a back door we can slip into! Think the Albanian away game will be a great wee holiday, even if it is in Autumn.

Bristolhibby
24-01-2018, 04:49 PM
So this is like the Intertoto of the Euros, if you don't qualify the traditional way there is still a back door we can slip into! Think the Albanian away game will be a great wee holiday, even if it is in Autumn.

Na, all teams are in it. It also gives you a free hit at qualification.

J

Sylar
24-01-2018, 05:31 PM
The fixtures are absolutely laughable.

Scotland vs Albania: Monday, September 10th (7:45pm)
Israel vs Scotland: Thursday, October 11th (7:45pm)
Albania vs Scotland: Saturday, November 17th (7:45pm)
Scotland vs Israel: Tuesday, November 20th (7:45pm)

If the home games are at Hampden, and auld racist Malky is still in charge with tickets being the usual pricing structure, they'll be lucky to get 20k fans through the gate.

bod
24-01-2018, 05:51 PM
The fixtures are absolutely laughable.

Scotland vs Albania: Monday, September 10th (7:45pm)
Israel vs Scotland: Thursday, October 11th (7:45pm)
Albania vs Scotland: Saturday, November 17th (7:45pm)
Scotland vs Israel: Tuesday, November 20th (7:45pm)

If the home games are at Hampden, and auld racist Malky is still in charge with tickets being the usual pricing structure, they'll be lucky to get 20k fans through the gate.

To be fair the Sfa had nout to do with the dates or times

Leith Green
24-01-2018, 06:01 PM
Can somebody please exain to me how the flaming hell this works? Surely cannot be that we top that group with israel and albania that we qualify?

CropleyWasGod
24-01-2018, 06:03 PM
Can somebody please exain to me how the flaming hell this works? Surely cannot be that we top that group with israel and albania that we qualify?

No. The winner goes into a play-off with the 3 other section winners in League C. Semi-final and final; winner of the final goes through to the Euros.

Same process applies to Leagues A, B and D.

So they give 4 qualifiers.

And then there's the traditional group situation. 10 Groups, top 2 qualify.

Sammy7nil
24-01-2018, 07:08 PM
Israel and Albania are pretty decent teams.

This has another whiff of glorious failure about it.

Yip four tough games but all are winnable

Sylar
24-01-2018, 07:20 PM
To be fair the Sfa had nout to do with the dates or times

Well aware that the scheduling is at the behest of UEFA. But the SFA will be responsible for how the fixtures are managed in terms of location and pricing. Having these games at Hampden on these given nights and at the same prices as a Euros or World Cup qualifying game will guarantee a pish poor attendance.

Maybe my opinion in that regard is being horribly skewed by an ever-growing sense of apathy toward our national football team right enough.

Sammy7nil
24-01-2018, 07:27 PM
Well aware that the scheduling is at the behest of UEFA. But the SFA will be responsible for how the fixtures are managed in terms of location and pricing. Having these games at Hampden on these given nights and at the same prices as a Euros or World Cup qualifying game will guarantee a pish poor attendance.

Maybe my opinion in that regard is being horribly skewed by an ever-growing sense of apathy toward our national football team right enough.

I agree Pittodrie or Easter Road and Ibrox if the last game is must win £15 an Adult £5 a kid

CropleyWasGod
24-01-2018, 07:27 PM

Are they at Hampden?

The Euro qualifying doesn't start until March next year.

And how can they be at the same time as a WC game? :wink:

Sammy7nil
24-01-2018, 07:28 PM
Are they at Hampden?

And how can they be at the same time as a WC game?

I think you need to read it again :greengrin

CropleyWasGod
24-01-2018, 07:39 PM
I think you need to read it again :greengrin

:rolleyes:

Shoot me now......:embarrass

BullsCloseHibs
24-01-2018, 09:59 PM
Corfu (via Saranda) or Brindisi to Albania?

calumhibee1
24-01-2018, 10:47 PM
So one team from league D (which is full of the minnows) will make it to the Euros, is that correct?

Albanian Hibs
24-01-2018, 11:23 PM
Corfu (via Saranda) or Brindisi to Albania?

Around 3 hr drive from Sarande to Tirana