PDA

View Full Version : Stokesy

Captain Trips
23-01-2018, 09:00 PM
I started a thread were I was majorly pissed at him and the others. If there is a bit more to it than carry on in Portugal and he is willing to give it 100% then I still believe he offers us a lot.

I hope he gets a game tomorrow and does well, I really really want this to work out.

Cod Boy
23-01-2018, 09:03 PM
He won't start tomorrow might be on bench.

Lago
23-01-2018, 09:15 PM
He won't start tomorrow might be on bench.
That will be a good start and sign

stokesmessiah
23-01-2018, 09:40 PM
I just watched NL press conference and in all honesty, I think Stokes is done at Hibs. Whether they can get rid before next Wednesday, I don’t know and if not, it’s going to have to be an arm round the shoulder to get what we can from him. I will be gobsmacked if he is in our lineup next season.

silverhibee
23-01-2018, 09:43 PM
After seeing the full interview from Lennon on another thread it wouldn't surprise me if he travels with the club as part of the squad but might find himself sitting in the stand.

Sammy7nil
23-01-2018, 09:50 PM
I just watched NL press conference and in all honesty, I think Stokes is done at Hibs. Whether they can get rid before next Wednesday, I don’t know and if not, it’s going to have to be an arm round the shoulder to get what we can from him. I will be gobsmacked if he is in our lineup next season.

Intend to agree but lots of strange things happen in football.

snooky
23-01-2018, 10:00 PM
After seeing the full interview from Lennon on another thread it wouldn't surprise me if he travels with the club as part of the squad but might find himself sitting in the stand.

Trying to read between the lines, I get the feeling Lennon's thrown the towel in re. Stokes. But like poster SM above says, all things can change. Tomorrow is always another day.

silverhibee
23-01-2018, 10:10 PM
Trying to read between the lines, I get the feeling Lennon's thrown the towel in re. Stokes. But like poster SM above says, all things can change. Tomorrow is always another day.

Six strikers traveling up to be in contention, two make the starting 11 and 2 make the bench and that could leave 2 sitting in the stand, maybe, certainly one will be up in the stand.

greenlex
24-01-2018, 06:46 AM

You could see Lennons body language on Sunday was t great. I’d possibly correctly guess that part of that is being let down by he players. I wonder who might be top of that list?
We saw how stubborn Lennon is during the Fyvie situation in the summer. So...

confused
24-01-2018, 06:51 AM
In all honesty no player should ever be allowed to continually disregard the rules , for me , sorry it’s bye - bye

Sir David Gray
24-01-2018, 07:02 AM
From what Lennon said in his most recent interview, I get the impression that he considers Stokes to be unmanageable.

Smartie
24-01-2018, 07:07 AM
From what Lennon said in his most recent interview, I get the impression that he considers Stokes to be unmanageable.

If he doesn't screw the nut for Lennon - a tough manager who has done a lot for Stokes in the past - then who does he knuckle down under?

My personal opinion is that Stokes thinks he's bigger than us. Sadly for Stokes, the only clubs likely to now be interested in him will be well below even our level.

If he were to go back to Celtic, go to an EPL team or find a big club on the continent then he might sort himself out. But let's face it - that is never going to happen.

This might be Stokes' last chance to salvage something from a career on a downward trajectory, up to him whether or not he fancies it.

I'd be inclined to agree with Lennon - Stokes may well be unmanageable.

BSEJVT
24-01-2018, 07:37 AM
One definition of insanity is doing the same things and expecting different results

Time to cut our losses on Stokes IMO.

I still think they guy is a decent player but that his ability doesn't outweigh the baggage that has and always will travel with him.

Realistic enough to acknowledge that if we cant get rid, he may play his way back in, but would prefer to get shot.

Thanks for the memories.

J-C
24-01-2018, 08:35 AM
I don't know if Stokes was ever gonna start or even play against Hearts after Portugal but by asking for time off he took that decision out of Lennon's hands, I just wonder if his father back home in Dublin had summoned him back over to give him a right bollocking, I know he has a lot of influence over Stokes.

After watching the latest Lennon interview, all the correct things are being said but it doesn't look like he'll be in the squad, it sounded to me like Lennon has washed his hands of him after giving him every opportunity to help his career, only for Stokes to continually through it back into his face.

Souter96Mac
24-01-2018, 09:01 AM
It'll be interesting come 6:45 when the team gets announced.

Geo_1875
24-01-2018, 11:04 AM

If he doesn't screw the nut for Lennon - a tough manager who has done a lot for Stokes in the past - then who does he knuckle down under?

My personal opinion is that Stokes thinks he's bigger than us. Sadly for Stokes, the only clubs likely to now be interested in him will be well below even our level.

If he were to go back to Celtic, go to an EPL team or find a big club on the continent then he might sort himself out. But let's face it - that is never going to happen.

This might be Stokes' last chance to salvage something from a career on a downward trajectory, up to him whether or not he fancies it.

I'd be inclined to agree with Lennon - Stokes may well be unmanageable.

No. You agree with SDG who gets the impression that Lennon considers Stokes to be unmanageable.

And people wonder why unfounded rumours grow arms and legs and are suddenly quoted as fact on the back pages of the **** and the ******.

allmodcons
24-01-2018, 11:36 AM
Lennon quoted as saying "I think everyone will be looking for a bit of payback - if he plays. He owes everybody something".

That sounds to me like he's seriously considering playing him tonight?

hughio
24-01-2018, 11:40 AM
I started a thread were I was majorly pissed at him and the others. If there is a bit more to it than carry on in Portugal and he is willing to give it 100% then I still believe he offers us a lot.

I hope he gets a game tomorrow and does well, I really really want this to work out.

If he gets a game surely its to put him in the shop window with a view to getting some money back on a poor investment before the January window closes.

He's clearly a law unto himself and a disruptive influence ,disrespecful of the manager,club and fans I'm sorry to say.

Should know better by now Anthony.

You've blown it.

:rolleyes:

SeanWilson
24-01-2018, 11:43 AM
Lennon quoted as saying "I think everyone will be looking for a bit of payback - if he plays. He owes everybody something".

Its an absolute nightmare scenario - hugely talented game changer in the ranks but clearly done something to P him off! Big decision to make.

allmodcons
24-01-2018, 11:49 AM
Its an absolute nightmare scenario - hugely talented game changer in the ranks but clearly done something to P him off! Big decision to make.

He's a quality player, but a mess of an individual.
It's easy to criticise, but sounds to me like he has some serious issues.
I doubt he'd be at Hibs if his head was in the right place.

Stokesy's on fire
24-01-2018, 11:54 AM
I hope he does play tonight!

Sir David Gray
24-01-2018, 11:59 AM
No. You agree with SDG who gets the impression that Lennon considers Stokes to be unmanageable.

And people wonder why unfounded rumours grow arms and legs and are suddenly quoted as fact on the back pages of the **** and the ******.

At no point have I stated my opinion as fact or even suggested it to be fact.

I think I made it very clear that I had formed that opinion based purely on the back of my interpretation of Lennon's comments on the matter.

If anyone wants to take my post and turn it into a fact-based rumour or anything like that then that's up to them.

Smartie
24-01-2018, 12:12 PM

Ok then, I agree with SDG's opinion.

Hope that makes everyone feel a bit better and keeps the papers at bay.

Geo_1875
24-01-2018, 12:13 PM
At no point have I stated my opinion as fact or even suggested it to be fact.

I think I made it very clear that I had formed that opinion based purely on the back of my interpretation of Lennon's comments on the matter.

If anyone wants to take my post and turn it into a fact-based rumour or anything like that then that's up to them.

That was in response to Smartie who quoted your post but said he agreed with Lennon.

One Day Soon
24-01-2018, 12:18 PM
He's a quality player, but a mess of an individual.
It's easy to criticise, but sounds to me like he has some serious issues.
I doubt he'd be at Hibs if his head was in the right place.

Footballers eh? This is not the first player in Scotland I can think of who had 'issues' outside of the 90 minutes on the pitch.

I think all this is entirely in his hands right now. Screw the nut, train, play and behave - he'll be here a while. Don't and he'll be out.

Firestarter
24-01-2018, 12:26 PM
Didn't something happen right before the Inver we replay in the cup? He was getting right pelters and told to gtf and then scored a double to send us through. Certainly worth a punt tonight.

Hermit Crab
24-01-2018, 12:54 PM
If he gets right back into the team it doesn't set a good example and may annoy other players as Stokes seems to be untouchable in terms of disciplinary action, while others get hammered.

Lago
24-01-2018, 01:08 PM
I tell you one thing, looking at the horizontal rain bashing of my window, he'll probably be hoping NL won't play him. Horrendous weather here just now.

HoboHarry
24-01-2018, 01:13 PM
I tell you one thing, looking at the horizontal rain bashing of my window, he'll probably be hoping NL won't play him. Horrendous weather here just now.
It's going to get up to 17 C here today. Gerritrightroonye.........

:greengrin

Hermit Crab
24-01-2018, 01:16 PM

The games not in Kirkcaldy though?? :confused:

Lago
24-01-2018, 01:20 PM
The games not in Kirkcaldy though?? :confused:
Geography lesson coming up, it's only half an hour up the road. :na na:

Lago
24-01-2018, 01:26 PM
It's going to get up to 17 C here today. Gerritrightroonye.........

:greengrin
Stop it, just stop it.
Many years ago when I was in the Merchant Navy, we went up to Houston via the ship canal from Galveston. Turned out when we docked it was 'Go Texas's week, it was mental, Police with 'go Texas's cow boy ties, blokes showing me the revolvers in the bars, what trip.
Still nuts there? 😁

HoboHarry
24-01-2018, 01:33 PM
Stop it, just stop it.
Many years ago when I was in the Merchant Navy, we went up to Houston via the ship canal from Galveston. Turned out when we docked it was 'Go Texas's week, it was mental, Police with 'go Texas's cow boy ties, blokes showing me the revolvers in the bars, what trip.
Still nuts there? 😁
Can be lol. I was at a BBQ last year and at one point there were 8 women in the kitchen comparing their pistols - I'm genuinely not making that up, it actually happened and no-one was batting an eyelid.......

Hermit Crab
24-01-2018, 01:37 PM
Geography lesson coming up, it's only half an hour up the road. :na na:

Aye heres another, Edinburgh is just over the forth from you and its not raining here... :na na:

Lago
24-01-2018, 01:39 PM
Can be lol. I was at a BBQ last year and at one point there were 8 women in the kitchen comparing their pistols - I'm genuinely not making that up, it actually happened and no-one was batting an eyelid.......
I believe you, a bunch of us were in a bar 1 night & they decided to have sing song, all the good old boy stuff getting belted out, when someone heard us talking. Woa... get up here Limeys and give us a song, guns getting waved around, youve never heard a quicker rendition of Roads and the Miles to Dundee then out of there. Mind the girls were lovely. :aok:

Firestarter
24-01-2018, 01:40 PM
If he gets right back into the team it doesn't set a good example and may annoy other players as Stokes seems to be untouchable in terms of disciplinary action, while others get hammered.

Who's been hammered?

Lago
24-01-2018, 01:40 PM
Aye heres another, Edinburgh is just over the forth from you and its not raining here... :na na:
Suns out now. He'll want to play:greengrin

HoboHarry
24-01-2018, 01:41 PM
I believe you, a bunch of us were in a bar 1 night & they decided to have sing song, all the good old boy stuff getting belted out, when someone heard us talking. Woa... get up here Limeys and give us a song, guns getting waved around, youve never heard a quicker rendition of Roads and the Miles to Dundee then out of there. Mind the girls were lovely. :aok:
July 4th can get a bit rowdy with all of the guns that there are :greengrin

Famous Fiver
24-01-2018, 01:59 PM
Anyone firing blanks?

Hermit Crab
24-01-2018, 02:00 PM
Who's been hammered?

Believe Swanson was for being late for the team bus

HoboHarry
24-01-2018, 02:01 PM
Anyone firing blanks?
Lol - anyone caught without live ammo would get flung out for being a liberal pansy.........:greengrin

Moulin Yarns
24-01-2018, 02:11 PM

8 women in the kitchen. And all you had was a six-shooter :wink:

HoboHarry
24-01-2018, 02:20 PM
8 women in the kitchen. And all you had was a six-shooter :wink:
I wouldn't have tackled that lot with anything less than an Apache helicopter :greengrin

Lago
24-01-2018, 02:33 PM
I wouldn't have tackled that lot with anything less than an Apache helicopter :greengrin
Brilliant :aok:

Firestarter
24-01-2018, 02:36 PM

Thanks. Was a genuine question 👍

HoboHarry
24-01-2018, 02:45 PM
Brilliant :aok:
Seriously - if you are ever back here go watch the women at the range. Most of then can take the knackers off of a fly at 15 meters........

WoreTheGreen
24-01-2018, 03:30 PM

Big. Marv in asda so he’s out

snooky
24-01-2018, 03:44 PM
Big. Marv in asda so he’s out

Sounds like a chewy biscuit.

WoreTheGreen
24-01-2018, 03:49 PM
Sounds like a chewy biscuit.

Gez a break away

Keyser Sauzee
24-01-2018, 03:59 PM
Stokes walking up dundas street at half 3 with his Mrs so he’s not in the squad tonight

WoreTheGreen
24-01-2018, 04:02 PM
Stokes walking up dundas street at half 3 with his Mrs so he’s not in the squad tonight

Stays in thar area

Keyser Sauzee
24-01-2018, 04:04 PM
Stays in thar area

U would imagine he would be with the squad preparing at that time if he was going to be involved tho.

WoreTheGreen
24-01-2018, 04:07 PM
U would imagine he would be with the squad preparing at that time if he was going to be involved tho.

Agree no where near the sqaud tonight / forever imo

greenlex
24-01-2018, 04:26 PM

It sounds to me we are stuck with him after pushing the boat out to get him and Lennon is trying to manage the situation. All our eggs in the Stokes Whittaker Ambrose basket. We better hope the new boys are up to it.

staunchhibby
24-01-2018, 04:52 PM
Did he travel with the team to Dundee???

Souter96Mac
24-01-2018, 04:53 PM
Did he travel with the team to Dundee???

Will find out in about 50 minutes

telford hibbee
24-01-2018, 06:05 PM
Team announced stokes not quoted at all.

stokesmessiah
24-01-2018, 06:09 PM
I don’t think Stokes will be here in a week or so.

snooky
24-01-2018, 06:20 PM

(... and ironically nae fire extinguishers to be had).

Sammy7nil
24-01-2018, 06:23 PM

I agree NL is just deflecting attention by saying he is competing to be in the squad to buy time to get him out. If he is still here in a week I think NL will be raging.

stokesmessiah
24-01-2018, 06:32 PM
No confusion now after those comments from NL.

Sammy7nil
24-01-2018, 06:33 PM
No confusion now after those comments from NL.

Yip he would like him gone

snooky
24-01-2018, 06:50 PM
Someone said on here that the heard Leeann had had enough of Stokes' carryings-on so you could add her weight to (some of) the players' disenchantment.
Even IF Neil wanted to give AS another chance, there's storm clouds gathering all around.
I think they've all had enough and TBH, so have I, and I'm sure a lot of others have too.

calumhibee1
24-01-2018, 06:51 PM
What was said on the radio by NL?

matty_f
24-01-2018, 06:52 PM

Basically Stokes will be fine if anyone wants him (or words to that effect).

WoreTheGreen
24-01-2018, 06:55 PM
Engineering a move?

snooky
24-01-2018, 06:55 PM

Something along the lines of we won't know what is happening till the end of January. By then Stokes may be with another club. (At least, that's how I read it, with more a negative slant on it rather than a positive one, IMO).

Thecat23
24-01-2018, 06:57 PM
Must be close to getting shot of him if NL is now talking of him moving on if someone takes him.

Sammy7nil
24-01-2018, 07:00 PM

If the opportunity arises in the next week he can go.

Phil MaGlass
24-01-2018, 07:12 PM
So is that how Stokes makes his money then, through signing on fees?

Paisley Hibby
24-01-2018, 07:16 PM

Looks like it - plus pay offs to leave on a free transfer...

Big_Franck
24-01-2018, 07:26 PM

If he does go in January IMO there is at least a 50% chance that he'll move again in the summer. Obviously couldn't care less as long as he's getting paid and getting his signing on fees.

Ilovehibs
24-01-2018, 07:41 PM
Just read that hertz have had an offer of 300k for that clown Goncalves. Surely then someone out there would pay decent dough for Stokes!

silverhibee
24-01-2018, 07:50 PM
The difficulty will be him getting another club.

weonlywon6-2
24-01-2018, 07:56 PM
What a huge waste of talent 🙄🙄🙄

eastmainsmsh
24-01-2018, 11:26 PM
will prob end up at shamrock rovers or some club like that

Hermit Crab
24-01-2018, 11:29 PM
Just read that hertz have had an offer of 300k for that clown Goncalves. Surely then someone out there would pay decent dough for Stokes!

600k according to a paper, I seen the link on facebook earlier.

southern hibby
24-01-2018, 11:51 PM
Problem Hibs have is Stokes has a ace up his sleeve called a contract. If he doesn’t want to go and decides he’s staying there ain’t much Hibs can do.
Let’s be honest he’s on our top wage and can we really afford another striker on top wages until we off load him?
So this makes me think that NL knows this and has to leave the door open for him to come back in from the cold as we ( probably ((and I’ve no knowledge either way to back this up)) can’t afford to leave him in the stand as much as we might want to.

Thing is Stokes could be an absolute legend at Easter Road ( Scottish cup aside ) if he only took time to see how much the fans here would idolise him if he knuckled down and consentrated on playing football.

GGTTH

Borderhibbie76
25-01-2018, 12:33 AM
Must be close to getting shot of him if NL is now talking of him moving on if someone takes him.What a sad way for his comeback to where he will always be a legend to end...all his own fault of course

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Forza Fred
25-01-2018, 12:47 AM
Can’t see anyone paying money for him.

Heisenberg
25-01-2018, 06:45 AM
Can’t see anyone paying money for him.

I think if anyone comes along with an interest we’ll let him go for nowt. Sad way for it to end.

Niffy
25-01-2018, 06:57 AM
I was never wanting him after he dragged the signing on for weeks. I don’t think he was ever really convinced about this move and this was always going to happen.

flash
25-01-2018, 07:21 AM
Lennon has stuck his neck out for Stokes on numerous occasions. If even he has had enough you can be sure it's not over anything trivial.

Jim44
25-01-2018, 07:24 AM
Problem Hibs have is Stokes has a ace up his sleeve called a contract. If he doesn’t want to go and decides he’s staying there ain’t much Hibs can do.
Let’s be honest he’s on our top wage and can we really afford another striker on top wages until we off load him?
So this makes me think that NL knows this and has to leave the door open for him to come back in from the cold as we ( probably ((and I’ve no knowledge either way to back this up)) can’t afford to leave him in the stand as much as we might want to.

Thing is Stokes could be an absolute legend at Easter Road ( Scottish cup aside ) if he only took time to see how much the fans here would idolise him if he knuckled down and consentrated on playing football.

GGTTH

If he’s not away by the 31st., I can’t see any road back for him. He might have the strength of a contract behind him but is there not a chance that the behaviour that has led to this situation might give Hibs a negotiating tool to get out of the contract. The contract is a two way deal and if he has (by all accounts) repeatedly broken the terms of it, his protection is weakened. His ‘legend’ status will gradually diminish if he does a ‘Bobo Balde’ on us.

Mainstandman
25-01-2018, 07:27 AM
If he’s not away by the 31st., I can’t see any road back for him. He might have the strength of a contract behind him but is there not a chance that the behaviour that has led to this situation might give Hibs a negotiating tool to get out of the contract. The contract is a two way deal and if he has (by all accounts) repeatedly broken the terms of it, his protection is weakened. His ‘legend’ status will gradually diminish if he does a ‘Bobo Balde’ on us.
I think Balde wanted to play but Celtic wanted to get rid to reduce the wage bill.

Jim44
25-01-2018, 07:37 AM
I think Balde wanted to play but Celtic wanted to get rid to reduce the wage bill.

Well Stokes might argue that he wants to play for us. The situation hasn’t arisen because we want to reduce the wage bill but because of his attitude and behaviour. I think there’s a difference between the two situations but what I meant was that we don’t want a highly paid but unplayable player hanging around the club with all the damage that this will cause.

eastcoasthibby
25-01-2018, 07:55 AM
Stokes might have a contract that says how much he earns but alongside it will be expectations of what we get from him, including adhering to rules, policies, behaviours, etc so if he is still here and deciding to not meet his part of.the contract use it to tackle him same as happens in work places all over the country ....which undoubtedly we can use to reduce his earnings with fines and also provide the right evidence.to terminate his contract in a short time ..no doubt LD will be more than switched on to this...f#@k this him taking a wage for nothing but disruption and lack of producing.anything.

we are hibs
25-01-2018, 08:25 AM
think Lennon is biding his time and waiting to see if this Swiss boy is decent. If he is then stokes will be gone and if not then who knows

blackpoolhibs
25-01-2018, 08:26 AM
Football must be different to a normal run of the mill job, as anyone who has broken the rules as often as he has would surely have been given the statutory warnings, ie verbal and written?

I wonder why you never see footballers sacked with no pay off? :confused:

JimboHibs
25-01-2018, 08:33 AM
will prob end up at shamrock rovers or some club like that

Will prob not.

Mainstandman
25-01-2018, 08:44 AM
Well Stokes might argue that he wants to play for us. The situation hasn’t arisen because we want to reduce the wage bill but because of his attitude and behaviour. I think there’s a difference between the two situations but what I meant was that we don’t want a highly paid but unplayable player hanging around the club with all the damage that this will cause.
Yes I agree with that, we need players for our bucks. I think if he hangs around it will be a disaster.

southern hibby
25-01-2018, 03:36 PM

Jim44 I’m not saying what I suggest will happen but if it does I can’t see Hibs getting out of his contract only Hibs his agent and AS will be privi to what’s in it. Can Hibs afford to take it to employment tribunal to get him sacked? I don’t know the answer to that or to has it been done before with players and if so how often? I know one thing if we don’t play him and he doesn’t go it’s a lot of money we are wasting on A PLAYER TO SIT IN THE STAND.

GGTTH

Smartie
25-01-2018, 03:40 PM
Do Hibs not have a pretty highly-respected HR person on the board?

As has been mentioned elsewhere, it often seems like a contract is one-sided and is only of benefit to the player. Not so. Within the contract there will/should be stuff about what is expected of the player. If Stokes has stepped out of line often enough, seriously enough, and Hibs have followed the correct process then a contract can be torn up.

Although Hibs would possibly rather see if they could get some money for him? Go flog him around the obscure foreign clubs who appear to be hoovering up all HMFC's reject tat.

southern hibby
25-01-2018, 03:55 PM
Do Hibs not have a pretty highly-respected HR person on the board?

As has been mentioned elsewhere, it often seems like a contract is one-sided and is only of benefit to the player. Not so. Within the contract there will/should be stuff about what is expected of the player. If Stokes has stepped out of line often enough, seriously enough, and Hibs have followed the correct process then a contract can be torn up.

Although Hibs would possibly rather see if they could get some money for him? Go flog him around the obscure foreign clubs who appear to be hoovering up all HMFC's reject tat.

Not got a problem with anything you’ve stated, but couldn’t a solicator etc turn round at a tribunal and say well if the offence was deemed to be that bad why wait x amount of days/ weeks to try and sack him? I really don’t know the answers to these questions but for some
Reason I think Stokes is still holding aces and this is why we are including him in the squad to Dundee ( granted not on the bench) because if we can’t get rid of him we can’t afford to keep him In the stand. Maybe I’m totally wrong, but this is what I actually think will happen. He’ll stay and be allowed back into the team.

GGTTH

Tornadoes70
25-01-2018, 04:10 PM
Football as a whole tends to try to keep from tribunals and courts of law wherever possible in my opinion. There's a number of options to be considered between both the club and player long before the player would ever contemplate what is seen as a grey area surrounding football. I think the player would be forever given the 'cold shoulder' by potential future football employers if taking the severe route of tribunals or courts of law. There's a perfectly strong players union which would negotiate with the club if it gets to the stage of talks breaking down. However we don't know what's gone on behind the scenes and its highly doubtful the nuclear option of tribunals and courts of law will be approached. In my opinion of course.

It certainly appears that he's on the move but hopefully both remain amenable with each other and there's an amicable parting of the ways if Stokesy does leave as he's still a Holy Grail winning Legend.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

snooky
25-01-2018, 04:12 PM
Not got a problem with anything you’ve stated, but couldn’t a solicator etc turn round at a tribunal and say well if the offence was deemed to be that bad why wait x amount of days/ weeks to try and sack him? I really don’t know the answers to these questions but for some
Reason I think Stokes is still holding aces and this is why we are including him in the squad to Dundee ( granted not on the bench) because if we can’t get rid of him we can’t afford to keep him In the stand. Maybe I’m totally wrong, but this is what I actually think will happen. He’ll stay and be allowed back into the team.

GGTTH

Borderhibbie76
25-01-2018, 04:58 PM
Football must be different to a normal run of the mill job, as anyone who has broken the rules as often as he has would surely have been given the statutory warnings, ie verbal and written?

I wonder why you never see footballers sacked with no pay off? :confused:Never understand this BH - they seem to get away with all sorts compared to every worker in the land

southern hibby
25-01-2018, 05:01 PM

One of the best replies I’ve had on here.

GGTTH

wookie70
25-01-2018, 05:33 PM
Never understand this BH - they seem to get away with all sorts compared to every worker in the land

Except Politicians, Pop and Movie Stars, Bankers and basically anyone with enough money or influence to counteract the law of the land. They may have taken the slope away at Easter Road but the whole of Britain has an incline towards the rich and powerful

Viva_Palmeiras
26-01-2018, 03:39 AM
Never understand this BH - they seem to get away with all sorts compared to every worker in the land

Perhaps Unless it’s linked with a playing ban

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11668/2315258/chelsea-sack-mutu

Stonewall
26-01-2018, 10:04 AM
Jim44 I’m not saying what I suggest will happen but if it does I can’t see Hibs getting out of his contract only Hibs his agent and AS will be privi to what’s in it. Can Hibs afford to take it to employment tribunal to get him sacked? I don’t know the answer to that or to has it been done before with players and if so how often? I know one thing if we don’t play him and he doesn’t go it’s a lot of money we are wasting on A PLAYER TO SIT IN THE STAND.

GGTTH

It wouldn't be a case of Hibs taking Stokes to a tribunal I don't think. Not a lawyer but some relevant HR experience so here's my take on it.

if Hibs sack Stokes then it would be for him to take a Hibs to a tribunal. I would imagine that Hibs in line with other reputable employers will have a disciplinary procedure which would enable them to "manage him out of the business". If they follow their own procedures and are acting within the law then I don't see Stokes would have any come back. It could also take some time and explain Hibs' lack of comment.

It would be surprising if Stokes had a contract which excluded him from the club's disciplinary procedures I think.

On the other hand they may reckon they can recoup some of their outlay on Stokes and think they can get rid of him to another club in this window. Or they may give him some money to go away. Or they might give him another chance, or...

lyonhibs
26-01-2018, 11:14 AM
What has Stokes unequivocally actually DONE??

Had a training ground disagreement with Lennon that Lennon said wasn't a massive deal and then broke a curfew, along with a couple of others, in an event that the club described as "not a major transgression".

Now, I don't doubt he's probably a bit late to training for time to time and he definitely needs to screw the nut but I'm not quite seeing where (at least based on info available in the public domain) the basis for this "impending HR tribunal/sacking" chat is coming from.

jacomo
26-01-2018, 11:24 AM

Had a training ground disagreement with Lennon that Lennon said wasn't a massive deal and then broke a curfew, along with a couple of others, in an event that the club described as "not a major transgression".

Now, I don't doubt he's probably a bit late to training for time to time and he definitely needs to screw the nut but I'm not quite seeing where (at least based on info available in the public domain) the basis for this "impending HR tribunal/sacking" chat is coming from.

So far this season he’s missed two matches for behavioural reasons, one of which a derby.

Not what we need from our highest earner.

southern hibby
26-01-2018, 11:44 AM
It wouldn't be a case of Hibs taking Stokes to a tribunal I don't think. Not a lawyer but some relevant HR experience so here's my take on it.

if Hibs sack Stokes then it would be for him to take a Hibs to a tribunal. I would imagine that Hibs in line with other reputable employers will have a disciplinary procedure which would enable them to "manage him out of the business". If they follow their own procedures and are acting within the law then I don't see Stokes would have any come back. It could also take some time and explain Hibs' lack of comment.

It would be surprising if Stokes had a contract which excluded him from the club's disciplinary procedures I think.

On the other hand they may reckon they can recoup some of their outlay on Stokes and think they can get rid of him to another club in this window. Or they may give him some money to go away. Or they might give him another chance, or...

I actually meant can Hibs afford to take it to a tribunal ( obviously stokes would take Hibs) so I meant can they afford too, with the risk of loosing and players having the players union to back them? Sorry if I didn’t come over clear.

GGTTH

G B Young
26-01-2018, 11:47 AM
So far this season he’s missed two matches for behavioural reasons, one of which a derby.

And, if he put his mind to it, our best player. Lennon must feel very let down by Stokes after putting so much effort into luring him back to Hibs. Nobody expects a cup final performance from the guy every week, but it's so frustrating when you know what he's capable of that we've had such a mediocre input from him this season. He could be the top scorer in this league easily and IMHO a motivated Stokes could have helped to make us serious contenders for second place.

Betty Boop
26-01-2018, 11:50 AM

A bit more to it than breaking a curfew.

Geo_1875
26-01-2018, 11:53 AM

I think I'll wait until Hibs announce something about how his behaviour has forced the clubs hand into sacking/selling/fining/birching him.

If he had done something completely unforgiveable (by the Club, not the fans) something would have been said by now.

NAE NOOKIE
26-01-2018, 11:56 AM
From what I can see if Hibs want Stokes away from the club I cant see how it isn't possible.

Even if his transgressions have been minor in isolation the reality of them as a whole is that twice in a season barely half way through they have lead to him being unavailable to play due to disciplinary measures by the club ( I think time off for the derby enabled Hibs to avoid saying he had been binned by the manager ) and you can add not considered for selection on Wednesday ... which in effect means that three times, none of which were due to injury or being in such bad form that the manager wouldn't consider him under normal circumstances.

Like any employer Hibs have a right to expect their employees to do the job they are being paid to do and when a large part of the reason he is not doing that job is down to breaches of the club rules expected to be followed by every player, even if it isn't written into their contract, then I would say Hibs have a right to sack him. Most employee contracts don't have a clause in them specifically saying don't be late for work because its self evident that you are expected not to be ...... how many folk have won employment tribunals after being sacked for habitual lateness because their contract didn't specifically state 'you must be at work on time' .... the square root of sod all I would imagine.

If this situation is down to a mental health issue ( I'm not saying it is, I don't know ) but if it is, then no employee of any business is going to be allowed to walk into the bosses office and say, sorry gaffer I've been late umpteen times because my heads not right and by the way that's why I was in the bar during the last trip the firm paid for when I should have been at a conference. The employer at the very least is going to expect that employee to turn up with medical evidence showing that they have a problem the employer needs to be aware of and take seriously. For all his heads not in the game talk that blighted his time at Blackburn and now at Easter Road it would appear, has Stokes made any attempt to seek help for it himself? Once again I don't know, but I would be curios to find out.

In the world of employment its a fact that big firms can to an extent carry passengers, they have the manpower and resources to do so. Hibs certainly do not fall into that category and like any small business when you have a cog in the machine who isn't measuring up, especially when its a vital cog and one you are paying a lot of money for, the time it takes to admit you have to cut your losses has to be brief ..... If you ask me Hibs cant be far from that situation with AS.

Its just sad.

wookie70
26-01-2018, 11:59 AM

One of those after potentially receiving a final warning if some posters are to be believed.

I'm not overly fussed if he stays or goes. Stokes at 60%, which seems to be the best we will get regularly, is still as good as who we could probably bring in now and the purse strings seem to be pulled pretty tight. Every 20th game he will put in a performance that any potential replacement could only dream about.

If he has transgressed to the point of missing a match after a written warning the club do have to look at if a sacking is the correct course of action. He hasn't behaved at any club for a decade or more and he isn't going to start now so we either put up with or get rid or just wait until the next time he acts like an eedgit(it won't take more than a month or two).

The only scenario I really don't want to see is him getting paid off for being an arse. That sets a terrible example to the young players and the vast majority of our playing staff who are diligent, work hard and probably earn a good deal less than our "star" striker.

staunchhibby
26-01-2018, 12:16 PM
Is it not about time the club let us know what is actualy going on.The longer this goes on the more it will grow arms and legs.

easty
26-01-2018, 12:18 PM
Is it not about time the club let us know what is actualy going on.The longer this goes on the more it will grow arms and legs.

Can it grow more arms and legs than it already has?

JimBHibees
26-01-2018, 12:25 PM

I think Lennon has basically said we are looking to get rid not sure what else needs to be said.

Geo_1875
26-01-2018, 01:25 PM
I think Lennon has basically said we are looking to get rid not sure what else needs to be said.

When did he say that? I didn't hear that in any of his interviews.

Allant1981
26-01-2018, 02:00 PM
When did he say that? I didn't hear that in any of his interviews.

pretty much confirmed it before the dundee game in an interview

Captain Trips
26-01-2018, 02:05 PM
Unfortunatly this is looking like ending badly, this will now be 3rd match (?) missed due to something other than fitness and as club I am sure we will be paying him a very good wage, too much to be not available for the 2nd big game in a row. Out the door asap unfortuantly.

Geo_1875
26-01-2018, 02:06 PM
pretty much confirmed it before the dundee game in an interview

"Pretty much" or actually confirmed it?

lyonhibs
26-01-2018, 02:39 PM
A bit more to it than breaking a curfew.

How do you know this though? Has the extent of the committed transgressions in Portugal been confirmed by Lennon or the club?

I'm not on the wind up, I just don't want to have missed some revelation in the press and be making a tit of myself.

Allant1981
26-01-2018, 02:51 PM
"Pretty much" or actually confirmed it?

i cant remeber word for word what was said but sure he said it was something they were looking at

southern hibby
26-01-2018, 03:37 PM
I still think that Stokes holds the cards here. He will only go if he wants to. Really can’t see this ending in this transfer window ( unless Stokes is happy to go ) which means we have a player sitting in the stand on top wages doing nothing, except us using those wages on another striker.

Can I just say before anyone thinks in siding with Stokes I’m not I want the best for Hibs first and foremost.

GGTTH

HoboHarry
26-01-2018, 03:42 PM
I still think that Stokes holds the cards here. He will only go if he wants to. Really can’t see this ending in this transfer window ( unless Stokes is happy to go ) which means we have a player sitting in the stand on top wages doing nothing, except us using those wages on another striker.

Can I just say before anyone thinks in siding with Stokes I’m not I want the best for Hibs first and foremost.

GGTTH
I doubt the wages alone would keep him at Hibs. He may be one of our top earners but if he could only screw the nut he could earn far far more elsewhere. The trick will be his agent persuading another club that he can screw the nut I guess......

andybev1
26-01-2018, 04:01 PM
He won't be playing tomorrow - not in the squad as per Lennon's pre match interview. Worth watching.

It is so sad stokes Hibs career looks set to end in some degree of bad feeling. I hope he will do the right thing and cut his and Hibs loses. The Club and fans deserve better, no matter what anyone says.

I have no doubt Lennon has acted in the best interest of the fans and the club.

HoboHarry
26-01-2018, 04:04 PM
He won't be playing tomorrow - not in the squad as per Lennon's pre match interview. Worth watching.
Have a link?

andybev1
26-01-2018, 04:17 PM
Have a link?

It is in his hibs tv pre match celtic interview.

https://hibstv.hibernianfc.co.uk/tv/dashboard

Lago
26-01-2018, 04:34 PM
Not sure he did say that, its your interpretation.

merseyhibs
26-01-2018, 05:02 PM
He was definitely on his way to Charlton the other week Manager was keen to take him but chairman pulled out of the deal at last minute over wages. This was from a very good source in Liverpool. We are definitely off loading him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sammy7nil
26-01-2018, 05:17 PM
Not sure he did say that, its your interpretation.

He said if the opportunity arose in the next week Stokes can go

h1bee123
26-01-2018, 05:26 PM
He said if the opportunity arose in the next week Stokes can go

He was talking about Swanson there

snooky
26-01-2018, 05:32 PM
It is in his hibs tv pre match celtic interview.

https://hibstv.hibernianfc.co.uk/tv/dashboard

Only 30 seconds of the interview on that link (on my pc) and all he comments on is the performance at Dundee.

Elephant Stone
26-01-2018, 05:32 PM

It is so sad stokes Hibs career looks set to end in some degree of bad feeling. I hope he will do the right thing and cut his and Hibs loses. The Club and fans deserve better, no matter what anyone says.

Spot on.

Joe6-2
26-01-2018, 05:34 PM

So sad his time is ending like this

greenlex
26-01-2018, 06:02 PM
So sad his time is ending like this

Sad?No it’s not. I’m ****ing angry. Not sad. Total waste of a Jersey. The timemoney and effort to bring him to Hibs and he just doesn’t give a ****ing jot. Sad? Not on your life. ********.

Sammy7nil
26-01-2018, 06:50 PM
He was talking about Swanson there

Not in the interview I heard on Tuesday

JimBHibees
26-01-2018, 07:01 PM
Sad?No it’s not. I’m ****ing angry. Not sad. Total waste of a Jersey. The timemoney and effort to bring him to Hibs and he just doesn’t give a ****ing jot. Sad? Not on your life. ********.

Totally agree just basic professionalism and self respect required.

hibsbollah
26-01-2018, 07:06 PM

Im sad about it too.

Sir David Gray
26-01-2018, 08:16 PM

I think people can be annoyed at Stokes but still find the situation sad.

This is a guy who was idolised by the support when he signed in the summer following his legendary performance in THAT game in 2016. He was the marquee signing for us last year and considered our main striker. Although it's apparently self inflicted and I have no sympathy for him, I am still quite saddened by the whole thing and the fact that it looks like he'll never play for the club again and he'll be leaving over the coming days, under a bit of a cloud.

Captain Trips
26-01-2018, 08:18 PM

This is a guy who was idolised by the support when he signed in the summer following his legendary performance in THAT game in 2016. He was the marquee signing for us last year and considered our main striker. Although it's apparently self inflicted and I have no sympathy for him, I am still quite saddened by the whole thing and the fact that it looks like he'll never play for the club again and he'll be leaving over the coming days, under a bit of a cloud.

Spot on Sir

Lago
26-01-2018, 08:27 PM

Sure is sad, but untill I hear for definate that he's away I keep hoping that the situation can be resolved and he'll stay. Bit of a long shot I know.

Hibeewilly
26-01-2018, 08:34 PM
Sure is sad, but untill I hear for definate that he's away I keep hoping that the situation can be resolved and he'll stay. Bit of a long shot I know.

So do I Lago. He is miles ahead of anything we have up front and I hope it can be resolved. We will never replace him with remotely the same quality in the near future. A real blow if he goes

Lago
26-01-2018, 08:36 PM
So do I Lago. He is miles ahead of anything we have up front and I hope it can be resolved. We will never replace him with remotely the same quality in the near future. A real blow if he goes
Gosh someone who agrees with me must be doing something right:greengrin

hibbysam
26-01-2018, 09:25 PM
Lennon seems raging with both Danny and Stokes in his interview but Boyle seems to have got off Scot free. As one who doesn’t know the full goings on in Portugal, is there any reason for this?

Firestarter
26-01-2018, 09:35 PM
Lennon seems raging with both Danny and Stokes in his interview but Boyle seems to have got off Scot free. As one who doesn’t know the full goings on in Portugal, is there any reason for this?

He's his best player in form perhaps?

Unseen work
26-01-2018, 09:39 PM
I wish Stokes would just leave already.

It’s getting extremely tiresome and it’s being brought up by a different media outlet every day.

Let’s get back to focusing on us as a team and not what stokes is up to.

Baldy Foghorn
26-01-2018, 09:43 PM
I wish Stokes would just leave already.

It’s getting extremely tiresome and it’s being brought up by a different media outlet every day.

Let’s get back to focusing on us as a team and not what stokes is up to.

:agree::agree:

weecounty hibby
It is very sad. I was over the moon when he signed for us again as I really thought that he was a huge signing, a show of intent and someone who could help us kick on. In hindsight I wish he hadn't signed and I could just remember the Stoksey of May 2016.

hibbysam
He's his best player in form perhaps?

Doesn’t mean he should be treated differently. Again, I have no idea so just presuming it wasn’t really as reported as three of them, the way it’s panning our would look more like just DS & AS that had misdemeanours.

trev the hat
26-01-2018, 09:47 PM

Until then we’ll just have to keep paying his top end weekly wage while we can’t sign a replacement until it’s sorted.
The only bit that’s sad is his inability to be the professional he was employed to be in the 1st place.
As it stands we’re getting zero return on our investment.
This is poor from Stokes again and again.

andybev1
26-01-2018, 10:05 PM
Only 30 seconds of the interview on that link (on my pc) and all he comments on is the performance at Dundee.

Sorry, I thought it went without saying that it cost a fiver a month - it will be up as free soon I think, maybe already is on youtube but I do not know.

Sir David Gray
26-01-2018, 10:07 PM
Sorry, I thought it went without saying that it cost a fiver a month - it will be up as free soon I think, maybe already is on youtube but I do not know.

The full interview was on Facebook earlier.

ozwoody
26-01-2018, 10:31 PM
Surely a club has to want him as well , and with his track record I'm sure a few clubs are very wary.Hibs could offer him a pay off but theres no saying he would take it.And if his agent is punting him round clubs, both his indiscretions and less than stellar performances this season , will not have the phone ringing off the hook , limiting where he can now go. I think hes painted himself into a corner, with Hibs not wanting him , and no top flight club willing to take a punt on him to give him another chance , he could quickly find himself regarded as a journeyman player that could have done so much better with the skills he has.Sadly it looks like he will be in the " he had the chance to be a great player if only he screwed the nut" category.Wont be the first or last player in that group unfortunately

andybev1
26-01-2018, 10:37 PM
The full interview was on Facebook earlier.

Cheers SDG

Problem solved @ Snooky

lyonhibs
26-01-2018, 11:20 PM
]How do you know this though? Has the extent of the committed transgressions in Portugal been confirmed by Lennon or the club?
[/B]
I'm not on the wind up, I just don't want to have missed some revelation in the press and be making a tit of myself.

Has this been answered yet or is Stokes just deid in the water because enough folk said so? There's still a part of me that hopes this will all blow over because, like it or not, Stokes is the best technical player in our squad, as infuriating as he may be at times.

NAE NOOKIE
26-01-2018, 11:32 PM

I keep hearing about his quality and how hard it will be to replace. That would only be a factor if he had been displaying that 'quality' which he hasn't, one or two flashes aside, In view of that he wont be all that hard to replace. As a contributor on the pitch this season losing him wont be 'a blow' at all. Watching a guy who should be spoken of in admiring awe as a club legend leaving the club in the way it looks like he is going to is the real blow.

Tornadoes70
27-01-2018, 12:06 AM
I keep hearing about his quality and how hard it will be to replace. That would only be a factor if he had been displaying that 'quality' which he hasn't, one or two flashes aside, In view of that he wont be all that hard to replace. As a contributor on the pitch this season losing him wont be 'a blow' at all. Watching a guy who should be spoken of in admiring awe as a club legend leaving the club in the way it looks like he is going to is the real blow.

This is the inconvenient truth unfortunately. We've only seen mere flashes of the undoubted Stokesy skill and talent in the last few weeks and months. It certainly appears he's going and unfortunately it may be the sooner the better for both club and player. Will forever remain as a Holy Grail winning legend no matter. Who could ever forget his part in us lifting the Scottish Cup. A true hero.

Mon the Cabbage!!!