PDA

View Full Version : NHC Jimmy Armfield

Lago
22-01-2018, 01:05 PM
A fine footballer & gentleman, played during an era I now look back on with great nostalgia.
Passed away today.

Bobby Moore
22-01-2018, 01:26 PM
He seemed to be a true gentleman and very knowledgeable.
he was a cosnsumate broadcaster in his post football career and was alway very enjoyable to listen to.
He done a series on the careers of various legends down the years, one of which was with our own Lawrie Reilly I think it wad called "The life and times of Last Minute Reilly".
This was during his time with BBC Radio 5 and I think it can still be listened to from the BBC site. I don't know how to do links or anything but if you google Jimmy Armfield and Lawrie Reilly together you should get a hit for it.
it really is great listening and a great production from two true greats.

Famous Fiver
22-01-2018, 01:45 PM
One of the few non hysterical and non 'controversial' commentators in the media.

Always gave a considered expert opinion.

Will be sadly missed.

Iggy Pope
22-01-2018, 01:53 PM
i'd happier listen to Jimmy Armfield recite the alphabet than listen to the footballing views of some other notable ex pros. A true icon and those left from his golden era are diminishing.

CMurdoch
22-01-2018, 02:04 PM
I used to love listening to him commentating/summarising on big matches on the radio in the 70's. This was a time before large numbers of games were televised and in most cases radio was your only option. A great football man.

Lago
22-01-2018, 02:39 PM
i'd happier listen to Jimmy Armfield recite the alphabet than listen to the footballing views of some other notable ex pros. A true icon and those left from his golden era are diminishing.

How true:aok:

Scottie
22-01-2018, 02:41 PM
:aok: Always enjoyed his commentaries and his knowledge of the game he adored. RIP Jimmy.

stu in nottingham
22-01-2018, 02:58 PM
A good football man, RIP.

Recall Duncan McKenzie when Jimmy was his manager at Leeds United saying that his 'indecision was final'!

Well liked though I understand.

Sammy7nil
22-01-2018, 06:16 PM
Jimmy was gent Five Live had a great programme on him a few months back.
RIP Jimmy seemed to be a great guy.