PDA

View Full Version : Fourth in the league yet it feels like we're struggling?

G B Young
22-01-2018, 11:11 AM
Given the upward trajectory this club has been on, both on and off the pitch, since we were relegated I know it might seem unfair to be having a moan, but for the first time since 2014 I get the sense we're in a bit of a hole.

It's not just losing our first derby in ten (although after nearly four years unbeaten you forget how vile that feeling is!), more a sense that I'm not sure where our next win is coming from.

What exactly has started to go wrong? Personally I thought that on paper our summer signings were the most exciting batch we've ever made during a close season and a real statement of intent by the club. As we breezed through our League Cup section in impressive fashion followed by a couple of cracking wins to open the league campaign I was probably as optimistic as I've ever felt about the club. After a bit of a wobble we bounced back with a great spell in October/November but since then I feel we've been papering over a number of cracks.

Injuries haven't helped and I feel we miss David Gray's presence as a skipper more than perhaps we realise, but on reflection I think the biggest problem has been the Stokes signing not working out the way Neil Lennon hoped. This is a guy who should be carrying our forward line and banging in the goals at this level and as I've said on other threads I was among those who was thrilled when we signed him on a permanent deal. Sadly, it doesn't appear to happening for him and whatever issues he may have (if any), I feel let down by him.

The lack of goals is now becoming a significant concern and unless we can address that in this window, I wonder if I'm alone in being glad we racked up a decent number of points during the first half of the season?