PDA

View Full Version : What was everyones target this season?

blackpoolhibs
22-01-2018, 09:59 AM
Personally i wanted us to fight for 2nd place, unreasonable i know but that was what i wanted.

In the real world, without my green tinted glasses on, a top 6 place was minimum, and a fight for one of the European places was my hope.

After 3 seasons in the sheite, with quite a lot of mumping and moaning about how we struggled last season in a poor poor league to get promoted, we have done pretty well so far since returning to the top flight.

Yesterdays result was bad, the performance was bad, but we are currently 4th, we are fighting for one of the European spots, and its our first season back.

Over the last 10 years, we have normally been a lot poorer than this, we rarely fight at the top end of the league, we are normally arguing about how many points we are behind a European place, or how many points we are off the top 6.

Now we are currently achieving for a change, the arguments have changed, we are now only so many points ahead, and we should be further ahead, and we are ****ting ourselves that we might fall out of 4th spot.

This is a team thats being built, and while its being built, we will lose one of our best players after already losing our best goalscorer in years.

Yet all the while we are building, we are not struggling, we are not underachieving, and we are punching our weight for once.

When we are sheite, there's moaning, we are actually doing good just now, 4th place is hardly a regular thing for us, but that is not good enough now.

A derby defeat is never good, but FFS let's look at the bigger picture here, things ARE on the up at Hibs, despite yesterday, i know we will bounce back over the remainder of this season, and the reason i think that is we have the team and management in place from top to bottom to ensure we won't fall away back to the bad old days.

pacoluna
22-01-2018, 10:04 AM
Personally i wanted us to fight for 2nd place, unreasonable i know but that was what i wanted.

In the real world, without my green tinted glasses on, a top 6 place was minimum, and a fight for one of the European places was my hope.

After 3 seasons in the sheite, with quite a lot of mumping and moaning about how we struggled last season in a poor poor league to get promoted, we have done pretty well so far since returning to the top flight.

Yesterdays result was bad, the performance was bad, but we are currently 4th, we are fighting for one of the European spots, and its our first season back.

Over the last 10 years, we have normally been a lot poorer than this, we rarely fight at the top end of the league, we are normally arguing about how many points we are behind a European place, or how many points we are off the top 6.

Now we are currently achieving for a change, the arguments have changed, we are now only so many points ahead, and we should be further ahead, and we are ****ting ourselves that we might fall out of 4th spot.

This is a team thats being built, and while its being built, we will lose one of our best players after already losing our best goalscorer in years.

Yet all the while we are building, we are not struggling, we are not underachieving, and we are punching our weight for once.

When we are sheite, there's moaning, we are actually doing good just now, 4th place is hardly a regular thing for us, but that is not good enough now.

A derby defeat is never good, but FFS let's look at the bigger picture here, things ARE on the up at Hibs, despite yesterday, i know we will bounce back over the remainder of this season, and the reason i think that is we have the team and management in place from top to bottom to ensure we won't fall away back to the bad old days.

Nothing will ever change, we will continue to sell as soon a we start to show potential, same old.

Blaster
22-01-2018, 10:05 AM
Mine was top 6 and reaching at least the semi final of one of the cups

wookie70
22-01-2018, 10:06 AM
Top six was my expectation. If we finish 4th I think Lennon deserves a bit of credit. Of we finish 5th or 6th he is doing his job. Any less than that he is not doing a good job.

I don't think we will finish 4th as we look like we are weaker after the break and it wouldn't surprise me if Killie caught us too. 6th will be fine but we desperately need to look at recruitment now in preparation for summer.

hibs#1
22-01-2018, 10:08 AM
Top 6.when was the last time we finished there? I get it's been a frustrating season at times but baby steps and all that.

TheHarpy76
22-01-2018, 10:11 AM
Top 6 and a decent cup run was always my expectation.

Wilson
22-01-2018, 10:25 AM
I didn't have a target. Based on the results we have had - and the points we shouldn't have let slip away - we should be better placed than we are.

With that in mind I'd like to think we'd be in a position the challenge for third and anything less than 4th would be disappointing.

Unfortunately the momentum has shifted and our signings are uninspiring.

Where we'd expect an improvement in quality and a drive to push on in the league we seem to be struggling to maintain even the quality we had at the point of promotion. With Cummings gone we needed a winner - a first pick on the team sheet - in his stead. Murray isn't a sure starter and Stokes ain't interested. Just one example where our signing policy is letting us down.

I feel that our season will be summed up by too many sub par performances from a team with the heart ripped out of it.

Tyler Durden
22-01-2018, 10:35 AM

4th would be a good season but anything less would be a disappointment now.

My concern is that this is Stubbs team coming to an end and Lennon has so far failed to deliver many good signings.

Stubbs model of young and hungry players is the way to go. Despite our much hyped recruitment model we tend to sign a lot of players already known to our management teams.

hibsbollah
22-01-2018, 10:39 AM
Good post.

We had a thread at the start of the season and I said 3rd should be the target. I've been surprised how resilient Aberdeen have been, and consistently beat the teams in the bottom half that we often slip up against. I underestimated them. If we hold onto 4th now I'd be satisfied and hope for further growth next season with probably a rebuilt midfield.

J-C
22-01-2018, 10:44 AM
I wanted us fighting for top 4 but with a real chance of having a go at 2nd spot but having watched Aberdeen recently, they have the 2nd best squad in the league by far and on their day are a very good team, we're still 2-3 players away from being where they are.

JimBHibees
22-01-2018, 10:45 AM

Totally agree some perspective required. A defeat to Hearts always generates more frenzied naval gazing. It wasnt great however not sure it was too different a performance to the game last season when we got a draw. A few games coming in in a short space and we need to recover quickly and get back picking up. Important we get players in pronto if some are leaving.

Green Badger
22-01-2018, 11:54 AM
My expectation was top 6. My hope was somewhere between 3rd / 4th.

I think we are still on target for top 6, which considering it would be our first finish in the top half since 09/10 is pretty good in my eyes.

Firestarter
22-01-2018, 11:55 AM
4th at least. I think we will finish 6th.

Bristolhibby
22-01-2018, 12:03 PM
Top 6 and a decent cup run was always my expectation.

So we got a semi final in the League Cup and a ****ty draw in the Scottish.

We need to kick on in the league, teams around us have strengthened. We are screaming out for a poacher, but then again isn’t everyone.

J

Keith_M
22-01-2018, 12:04 PM
Top four and beat Hearts every time we played them.

Ozyhibby
22-01-2018, 12:17 PM
European qualification. It should be our target every year.
Outside the top 5 is under performing our wage budget and questions need asked of the management.
Average gates of 17k mean there is no excuse no to meet these targets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

emerald green
22-01-2018, 12:37 PM
Hibs are a club that has failed to realise it's full potential for decades.

Having at last got the monkey of our backs, and finally won the Scottish Cup, many people have come back to support the club and buy season tickets. Hibs now have the third highest home crowds in Scotland.

We will always struggle to compete with Celtic and the Ibrox club because it's just not a level playing field. However, Hibs should now be looking to occupy a place in the top four on a fairly regular basis, but they have to earn that by winning matches.

Ozyhibby
22-01-2018, 12:41 PM

Having at last got the monkey of our backs, and finally won the Scottish Cup, many people have come back to support the club and buy season tickets. Hibs now have the third highest home crowds in Scotland.

We will always struggle to compete with Celtic and the Ibrox club because it's just not a level playing field. However, Hibs should now be looking to occupy a place in the top four on a fairly regular basis, but they have to earn that by winning matches.

100%.

KingFranck
22-01-2018, 12:42 PM
Like a lot of fans my expectation was top 6 minimum.

It's great we are sitting 4th and in a fight for a European place - if that happens then it has exceeded my expectations.

The players and fans need to forget about yesterday and move on as we need to get points on the board starting with Wednesday night.

blackpoolhibs
22-01-2018, 12:42 PM

I agree with this, and we've made a steady start in that aim.

emerald green
22-01-2018, 01:01 PM
100%.

:aok:

I agree with this, and we've made a steady start in that aim.

:aok:

WeeRussell
22-01-2018, 01:16 PM

About the same as yours by the looks of it :aok:

I've been readjusting those targets since around early December though.

Iceman1875
22-01-2018, 01:27 PM
4th and ideally above Hearts

Jones28
22-01-2018, 01:29 PM
I've maintained that top 6 is the target, 4th or above is a bonus.

jakedance
22-01-2018, 01:46 PM
At the start of the season I thought we had a squad with enough quality to aim for at least top 4. Yesterday was very disappointing but it's just one game and these things happen. I'm much more concerned with some of the other performances and especially our home form. There should be plenty capacity in that squad to improve so I still think 4th is the target. We haven't looked like we can keep up with Aberdeen and Rangers but we should be better than the rest.

Heisenberg
22-01-2018, 01:49 PM
I wanted us to be top six. Anything above that would be a bonus for me.

jacomo
22-01-2018, 03:44 PM
Top 4 for me.

Must admit I am surprised by Aberdeen, who rebuilt very well last summer (and now have McGinn back anyhow).

Cups are now gone which is disappointing.

But still much to play for.