PDA

View Full Version : This team v 2016

calumhibee1
21-01-2018, 11:16 PM
This squad is poorer than the squad that won us the cup.

Henderson
Gunnarson
Keatings

All didn’t start the cup final. All 3 would have been improvements on what started today. Cummings would obviously have been an improvement. As would Fyvie compared to Slivka. As would Gray over the right back version of Ambrose. We’ve went backwards over the last couple of years.

The only person who would have got into the cup final team is Marciano. Maybe Efe for Fonts but we’ve not been playing Efe as a centre back.

Lennons signings have been by and large very poor.

Thoughts?

wookie70
21-01-2018, 11:21 PM

Henderson
Gunnarson
Keatings

All didn’t start the cup final. All 3 would have been improvements on what started today. Cummings would obviously have been an improvement. As would Fyvie compared to Slivka. As would Gray over the right back version of Ambrose. We’ve went backwards over the last couple of years.

The only person who would have got into the cup final team is Marciano. Maybe Efe for Fonts but we’ve not been playing Efe as a centre back.

Thoughts?

The Polar Bear was never not playing the cup final but agree with the rest.

Heisenberg
21-01-2018, 11:23 PM
Henderson and Gunnarson, I’d agree. Keatings? Not for me. Bang average championship forward, certainly not better than Boyle or Shaw. Gray would’ve been at right back today had he not been crocked. Lennon hasn’t signed well though and with hindsight it’s pretty clear but at the time:

Whittaker - Everyone was buzzing. 3 year deal. He’s finished.

Stokes - Everyone was buzzing. Cup final hero. Still not interested in being a professional who gives his all.

Slivka - Met with excitement. Not really had a chance. Has looked ok and then been anonymous.

Swanson - Everyone was buzzing. Player who had been brilliant at St J the season before. For a variety of reasons not kicked a ball for us.

Big Dave - Met with a collective....who? I’m still wondering.

FifeHibs
21-01-2018, 11:26 PM
The team that won the cup were the same team who could not beat Dumbarton or Alloa away. Got bumped by Falkirk in the play offs and had been beaten by Raith Rovers the week before at Starks park.

calumhibee1
21-01-2018, 11:27 PM
Henderson and Gunnarson, I’d agree. Keatings? Not for me. Bang average championship forward, certainly not better than Boyle or Shaw. Gray would’ve been at right back today had he not been crocked. Lennon hasn’t signed well though and with hindsight it’s pretty clear but at the time:

Stokes - Everyone was buzzing. Cup final hero. Still not interested in being a professional who gives his all.

Slivka - Met with excitement. Not really had a chance. Has looked ok and then been anonymous.

Swanson - Everyone was buzzing. Player who had been brilliant at St J the season before. For a variety of reasons not kicked a ball for us.

Keatings certainly wouldn’t be the answer for me, but he’d offer more than Shaw (that’s not a dig at Shaw, he’ll turn out to be a far better player than Keatings IMO).

FifeHibs
21-01-2018, 11:28 PM

Henderson
Gunnarson
Keatings

Thoughts?

We've went backwards in the last few years???

We struggled in the first division for 3 years. We were 10 minutes from getting beat by Rangers in the cup which would have resulted in Stubbs leaving anyway.
We were getting beat from Dumbarton away, Alloa away, Morton away.

calumhibee1
21-01-2018, 11:30 PM
The team that won the cup were the same team who could not beat Dumbarton or Alloa away. Got bumped by Falkirk in the play offs and had been beaten by Raith Rovers the week before at Starks park.

They were also the team who beat Aberdeen 2-0 at Easter Road. The team who beat Rangers twice at Easter Road and once in a cup final. The team that drew with then beat a Hearts side who were much better than this one and possibly at the time second in the league? We didn’t beat Rangers to the league that season, but that was always unlikely considering their budget. We fell behind Falkirk in the league, but IMO that was mainly down to us chasing a treble for a while. We also got put out the playoffs by Falkirk with a huge helping hand from the worst refereeing decision I’ve ever seen.

IberianHibernian
21-01-2018, 11:37 PM

Henderson
Gunnarson
Keatings

Thoughts?First thought is that managers are not only ones responsible for signings . Second that Gray of 15 / 16 in lower division might not be same player as now ( pre injury ) . Cummings would be an improvement on Boyle when used as a striker but was Cummings also not dropped by Stubbs and Lennon when form dipped ?

FifeHibs
21-01-2018, 11:38 PM
Yeah we have drawn twice with Celtic this year, beat Hearts and drew ( disallowed goal and it would have been 2 victories) beat a Rangers team with money thrown at them, should have beat them also at Easter Road.
We regularly got beat away at Falkirk, Rovers, Dumbarton for 2 seasons.
The cup final team are legends but look Fyvie and Keatings are playing first division football. Logan is at Mansfield. Dangall unsure where he is.

calumhibee1
21-01-2018, 11:39 PM
First thought is that managers are not only ones responsible for signings . Second that Gray of 15 / 16 in lower division might not be same player as now ( pre injury ) . Cummings would be an improvement on Boyle when used as a striker but was Cummings also not dropped by Stubbs and Lennon when form dipped ?

Gray back then or Gray now, both are an improvement on Efe at RB (who I rate as a centre back btw)

And yes, Cummings did get dropped sometimes.. but he would be a huge improvement on Shaw and Murray which is all we had today.

wookie70
21-01-2018, 11:40 PM

Everyone didn't want
Stokes(too unprofessional and might not have his head in it particularly as he is likely to be our best paid player)
Whittaker(too old particularly on a three year deal and suffers too many injuries) and
Swanson(doesn't score enough goals from open play and also gets in bother).

The parenthesis is not hindsight and there were a few saying these things about those players although I agree most were buzzing. I was most excited about Simon Murray. On the up, tremendous attitude and a real chance of being a success, I predicted 20 goals but he will fall short as Lennon clearly doesn't rate him now. I was also happy we signed Ambrose but not buzzing.. I had no idea how the Lithuanians would do but they never usually worked out for Hearts so I was sceptical.

IberianHibernian
21-01-2018, 11:49 PM
Gray back then or Gray now, both are an improvement on Efe at RB (who I rate as a centre back btw)

And yes, Cummings did get dropped sometimes.. but he would be a huge improvement on Shaw and Murray which is all we had today.Ambrose , Hanlon and McGregor are all great centre backs by standards of our league and Porteous looks like a great prospect too . Sometimes we need someone to play as a full back and with Gray and Whittaker injured Efe has been given the job . Cummings would be an improvement though he was dropped for a reason and had a lot of disappointing games ( if we`d lost 2016 final he`d have been one of first to be singled out for criticism ) . Stokes is our main striker so presumably won`t leave till a substitute is found .

Borderhibbie76
22-01-2018, 08:39 AM
I can't believe some rate Keatings over Shaw?? I'm also concerned at recruitment of late but come on Keatings is hardly setting the heather alight at a Dundee Utd team making extremely heavy weather of the weakest championship in 4 years.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

we are hibs
22-01-2018, 10:48 AM
Keatings would've scored that chance Boyle had at the back post. Not saying much mind seeing as everyone in the ground apart from Boyle probably could have. Even budge.

Green forever
22-01-2018, 11:07 AM
Keatings would've scored that chance Boyle had at the back post. Not saying much mind seeing as everyone in the ground apart from Boyle probably could have. Even budge.

I liked James Keatings but he missed an equally easy chance as Boyle at the very end of the replay in 2016.

FifeHibs
22-01-2018, 11:39 AM
The squad now has more quality than 2106 we are playing better teams on a weekly basis and are 4th in the premier with a semi final of the league cup.
As time goes by fond memories and highlights are looked upon favourably.
The players who have left have not gone on to greater things apart from Cummings.

calumhibee1
22-01-2018, 11:46 AM
I can't believe some rate Keatings over Shaw?? I'm also concerned at recruitment of late but come on Keatings is hardly setting the heather alight at a Dundee Utd team making extremely heavy weather of the weakest championship in 4 years.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Long term I don’t, nowhere near it, Shaw has the tools to become a very good player. But right now Keatings would be better for us, and I don’t even rate him that highly - and that’s before you even consider that he can deliver a ball from a set piece.

calumhibee1
22-01-2018, 11:48 AM
The squad now has more quality than 2106 we are playing better teams on a weekly basis and are 4th in the premier with a semi final of the league cup.
As time goes by fond memories and highlights are looked upon favourably.
The players who have left have not gone on to greater things apart from Cummings.

Who in this squad that wasn’t there at the time would get into the squad that was stripped at Hampden? Who from the Hampden heroes would get into this squad? Far more would get into this one than would get into that one IMO.

MacGruber
22-01-2018, 12:17 PM
We are going backwards in my opinion. The recruitment has been poorer than it was before under Stubbs.

Another window passing us by and not looking great