PDA

View Full Version : Dylan & SJM

SideBurns
21-01-2018, 09:23 PM
Both have been wonderful to watch and are, of course, 21.5.16 legends. However, today was the latest performance when I find myself questioning how productive they are. Neither score goals, can take corners or free-kicks, or create goal scoring chances from open play. Both have given wonderful entertainment at a club where we appreciate footballers but it's all about getting the ball in the net and neither make much of a contribution in that respect, which I find frustrating given their ability.

percy veer
21-01-2018, 09:25 PM
Aye get rid rubbish, 1 game out of ten but get rid

Leith Green
21-01-2018, 09:29 PM
Both have been wonderful to watch and are, of course, 21.5.16 legends. However, today was the latest performance when I find myself questioning how productive they are. Neither score goals, can take corners or free-kicks, or create goal scoring chances from open play. Both have given wonderful entertainment at a club where we appreciate footballers but it's all about getting the ball in the net and neither make much of a contribution in that respect, which I find frustrating given their ability.

I ve been saying for ages now , for all that mcginn , McGeough , and bartley are excellent central midfielders in their own right our midfield lacks the right balance to it. Our midfield isn’t anywhere near creative enough and its ridiculous how few goals our midfield score.

GreenNWhiteArmy
21-01-2018, 09:36 PM
Dylan is a phenomenal football player that this country doesn't produce enough of. I don't expect him to score many goals in the same way I didn't expect many goals from Xavi/Iniesta or Pirlo in their peak (granted they're playing at a much higher level)

He's a football player. Takes the ball, regardless of whether its in tight spaces and will find a pass. Our best player as far as I'm concerned.

I admit we need a box to box goalscoring midfielder but that is absolutely not in place of Dylan Mcgeough

IGRIGI
21-01-2018, 09:37 PM
One of them needs dropped for a goal scoring midfielder or at least someone that can beat the first man with a corner or free kick.

Leith Green
21-01-2018, 09:39 PM
Dylan is a phenomenal football player that this country doesn't produce enough of. I don't expect him to score many goals in the same way I didn't expect many goals from Xavi/Iniesta or Pirlo in their peak (granted they're playing at a much higher level)

He's a football player. Takes the ball, regardless of whether its in tight spaces and will find a pass. Our best player as far as I'm concerned.

I admit we need a box to box goalscoring midfielder but that is absolutely not in place of Dylan Mcgeough

That is where Lennon needs to delivering when mcginn does leave. A crestive goalscoring midfielder is a must

Smartie
21-01-2018, 09:42 PM
McGinn would be worth about £2m more if he didn't take our set pieces.

I seem to be in a minority of 1 here, but I didn't think they were that bad.

We were worse when Bartley went off, but we were 5 minutes away from getting a scrappy draw, and I'd have backed us to beat them in a football game on a football pitch.

If we're looking to make changes, I don't think this is where I'd start.

cabbageandribs1875
21-01-2018, 11:34 PM

We were worse when Bartley went off, but we were 5 minutes away from getting a scrappy draw, and I'd have backed us to beat them in a football game on a football pitch.

:agree:

murray26
21-01-2018, 11:38 PM
I’d be over the moon if Dylan and SJM where in our starting line up at the start of next season.. definitely not the problem at ER..

Vini1875
22-01-2018, 12:23 AM
I agree they are good players, but SJM hasn't been playing very well recently. Maybe it is speculation that is putting him or that he gets booted all over the place and closed down so much. Dylan while good misplaces passes, like the rest of the team.

Some SPFL teams have a brutal stop us playing style that we seem unable to over come.

The OP does have a point that as good as they are they do not add a goal threat when our strikers are not on it. Show me better, goal scoring midfeilders for the same money and I would swap them, legends or not.

Captain Trips
22-01-2018, 12:27 AM
We defo need a goal scoring midfield player. I'm very happy with SJM but even happier with Dylan. I would say SJM setpieces are not good enough.

Was Swanson not to be this player?

truehibernian
22-01-2018, 12:31 AM
I agree they are good players, but SJM hasn't been playing very well recently. Maybe it is speculation that is putting him or that he gets booted all over the place and closed down so much. Dylan while good misplaces passes, like the rest of the team.

Some SPFL teams have a brutal stop us playing style that we seem unable to over come.

The OP does have a point that as good as they are they do not add a goal threat when our strikers are not on it. Show me better, goal scoring midfeilders for the same money and I would swap them, legends or not.

That's my worry - Lennon's post match interview suggested we need a physical front player (which we do). More importantly we need a midfielder who can unlock a defence and can score goals. Not an easy find.

Set pieces today were excruciating - floaty nonsense.

Unseen work
22-01-2018, 03:21 AM
Both are very good however we seem off balance with them.

Against the better teams them 2 along with Bartley is solid and we play brilliantly.

When there is 3 in centre mid I don’t feel like we create enough.

When it’s just them 2 I don’t feel like we have enough protection in centre mid.

The problem is neither of them make forward runs.

If you look at Aberdeen’s centre mids, Maclean, Shinnie and Christie. All of them are constantly making forward runs and finding areas where they can hurt teams. They also have the desire to get in the box to score.

Dylan and John like getting on it deep and trying to dictate the tempo.

22-01-2018, 04:17 AM
Two very very good players on their day but yesterday I thought McGinn was poor and although Dylan had a alright first half, he fell out of the game in the second half and appeared to tire.

KanyeWestLower
22-01-2018, 06:42 AM
When was Mcginns last good game?

Iain G
22-01-2018, 07:34 AM
Both are very good however we seem off balance with them.

Against the better teams them 2 along with Bartley is solid and we play brilliantly.

When there is 3 in centre mid I don’t feel like we create enough.

When it’s just them 2 I don’t feel like we have enough protection in centre mid.

The problem is neither of them make forward runs.

If you look at Aberdeen’s centre mids, Maclean, Shinnie and Christie. All of them are constantly making forward runs and finding areas where they can hurt teams. They also have the desire to get in the box to score.

Dylan and John like getting on it deep and trying to dictate the tempo.

I know a lot of folks were unimpressed with him yesterday but Slivka did get into their box more than any of our other midfielders did.

Heisenberg
22-01-2018, 07:38 AM
I know a lot of folks were unimpressed with him yesterday but Slivka did get into their box more than any of our other midfielders did.

He was free just inside their box and would’ve had a great scoring opportunity had Boyle actually looked up and used his brain instead of taking a dire shot at goal. We 100% need our midfielders to get forward more and into the box, but I understand that’s not really the game of McGinn/McGeough/Bartley. It’s up to Lennon to fix it as it’s been an issue for a few seasons now.

Michael
22-01-2018, 08:14 AM

Other than yesterday I think he's been mostly excellent.

Borderhibbie76
22-01-2018, 08:31 AM
Other than yesterday I think he's been mostly excellent.Sorry but that's not true mate...he's been largely off form for sometime now bar the odd decent game. He played reasonable well in the 2 home games against the uglies but I would say anything more than decent. That apart he's been poor the last 2 months and is living on his reputation a bit at the moment

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

SideBurns
22-01-2018, 08:32 AM
He was free just inside their box and would’ve had a great scoring opportunity had Boyle actually looked up and used his brain instead of taking a dire shot at goal. We 100% need our midfielders to get forward more and into the box, but I understand that’s not really the game of McGinn/McGeough/Bartley. It’s up to Lennon to fix it as it’s been an issue for a few seasons now.
That piece of play from Boyle summed him up yesterday - Slivka in miles of space, he was raging he didn't get the pass.
If none of the other 3 midfielders are interested in getting into the box then it has to be 2 from 3 in the starting line up. We have achieved some great results with SJM, Dylan & Marv but are always going to struggle to score goals. Something has to give.

GreenOnions
22-01-2018, 09:22 AM
Every team in Scotland (apart from Celtic) would have these two in their starting line-up.

It's true that we don't get many goals from McGeouch and McGinn but what they do give to the team more than compensates. Most true football fans would also say that watching players like them makes the cost of football worth it.

If you accept that then you have to make sure we have goals and assists from elsewhere (although McGinn does create goals). That is where we have been lacking IMHO.

As far as goal-scoring is concerned we have had a poor return from Stokes, Murray and Boyle. Boyle has improved immeasurably over the last year or so but he has missed more clear-cut chances for us this season than any other player. Murray has threatened to be good for us but is struggling to shake off the concern that once other teams sussed him out he doesn't have the all-round game for this level. Stokes has simply been disappointing.

Barker always looks a cut above those three when he's on the pitch (as was the case yesterday) and does look most likely to create assists and maybe get on the score sheet. Hopefully he can get a run in the team.

We get very little in terms of quality final passes in the opposition area from our full-backs either. Obviously both Whittaker and Gray being out hasn't helped.

There is still much about our squad that is strong but it is this balance that is not right. We must accommodate our best players and that definitely includes McGeouch and McGinn. So - we need to find someone to score goals along with Ollie Shaw and some more attacking threat from wide and full-back areas.

Since90+2
22-01-2018, 09:24 AM
Said it on another thread but i'd like to see Frazer Murray get more game time. He is an attack minded midfielder who can spot a pass and has done well in the few cameos he has had.

Zoro
22-01-2018, 09:26 AM
We defo need a goal scoring midfield player. I'm very happy with SJM but even happier with Dylan. I would say SJM setpieces are not good enough.

Was Swanson not to be this player?

why not put swanson on yesterday game needed a goal threat from midfield. Lennon done the same last game at tynecstle when barker went off injured. boyle got to play yesterday so why not swanson.

SMAXXA
22-01-2018, 09:41 AM
I was actually thinking we lose these 2 players and we would become a very ordinary team

Hermit Crab
22-01-2018, 09:43 AM

Celtic away when he scored 2. imo of course.

Its amazing that Bartley has not scored for Hibernian yet considering how long he has been at the club!

marinello59
22-01-2018, 09:44 AM
I was actually thinking we lose these 2 players and we would become a very ordinary team

We have been pretty ordinary for a while now. The result away to Aberdeen wasn’t a blip, it was an indication of where we actually are. We are doing OK for a team in its first season back in the top league but we really are nothing special.

Hermit Crab
22-01-2018, 09:44 AM

I think we are already quite an ordinary team.

KWJ
22-01-2018, 09:46 AM

I agree with most of this but the problem is that he doesn't show it often enough. There's not much point having this talent but only using it in games against the OF and the odd one here and there. He had a great patch of form this season but has been infuriating for a good few games now. And I don't mean he's played badly just that he's underwhelmed when you know what he can do.

Stevie Reid
22-01-2018, 09:46 AM

Apart from the one that produced Boyle's late chance that McLaughlin saved well (which I think led to the corner that Hearts broke from, actually), they were pathetic.

Right at the end of the game we had a free kick just inside their half and one last chance to launch it into the box - and JM couldn't even get it as far as the D.

That aside, McGinn was ok yesterday - McGeough had a couple of decent moments, but it was the worst I've seen him in a Hibs jersey. I agree with the earlier poster re: Slivka - got in advanced positions a lot, and had Boyle played him in in the first half instead of shooting, we may have had the lead.

I'd like to see more of Slivka.

gorgie greens
22-01-2018, 09:54 AM

sooner the transfer window shuts the better where SJM concerns,

snooky
22-01-2018, 10:49 AM
One of them needs dropped for a goal scoring midfielder or at least someone that can beat the first man with a corner or free kick.

I think that's where Danny was supposed to fit in but alas, it hasn't happened for various reasons.

snooky
22-01-2018, 10:59 AM
We have been pretty ordinary for a while now. The result away to Aberdeen wasn’t a blip, it was an indication of where we actually are. We are doing OK for a team in its first season back in the top league but we really are nothing special.

I've said this all along. Our recent run of being off-form isn't off-form, it IS our form.
Still a bit to go. When we start winning games by more than one goal I'll be a bit more convinced we've 'arrived'.
Given we've been three years in the lower league, I'll be quite content to see us avoid the dog fight of relegation this season. That being the case, we're ahead of the game however, nose-diving is always a possibility. (See the year we went down.)

Mainstandman
22-01-2018, 03:31 PM
Said it on another thread but i'd like to see Frazer Murray get more game time. He is an attack minded midfielder who can spot a pass and has done well in the few cameos he has had.

Agree if you follow the development team he threads the ball in for Shaw on many occasions.