PDA

View Full Version : Recruitment

Ozyhibby
21-01-2018, 07:53 PM
As far as I can make out we have signed 19 players since Lennon arrived and only 3 could consider themselves automatic starters. Marciano, Ambrose and Stokes. That’s a pretty poor strike rate, especially as Stokes appears to be on his way out now as well.
This may not be Lennon’s fault but it’s important to recognise there is a problem so that steps can be taking to fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lago
21-01-2018, 07:57 PM
Club produced a nice video

Lee Marvin
21-01-2018, 07:58 PM
It's been very poor, lets be honest. Stubbs recruitment was miles better, on a significantly reduced budget.

Our flagship january signing couldn't even get on park today.

we are hibs
21-01-2018, 07:58 PM
Stubbs signings were mostly good and some were poor

lennons signings have been mostly poor and some good

Thecat23
21-01-2018, 08:00 PM
Think we can all agree on the evidence so far Stubbs signings were better. He had a few duds too but Lennons have mostly been poor.

Leith Green
21-01-2018, 08:18 PM
Of the 11 players who started the match today , 3 were homegrown, 5 were signed by stubbs, 3 signed by lennon. That is quite telling if you ask me ... 2 of lennons 3 signings that started the game werent at the races today either.

I get the vibe that we are spending more dough on signing players now than when stubbs was here , got to question the value we are getting for it.

Stokes , murray , whittaker , davy , slivka , swanson do not represent good value for money in my opinion.

Callum_62
21-01-2018, 08:22 PM
Who signs them?

bongo'd
21-01-2018, 08:25 PM
Who signs them?

I'd hazard a guess at Mathie??

The manager tells him what kind of player he would like and he goes out and tries to get the player.

That's my take on it

Elephant Stone
21-01-2018, 08:26 PM
Stubbs signings were mostly good and some were poor

lennons signings have been mostly poor and some good

Huge understatement

Billy Whizz
21-01-2018, 08:27 PM
I'd hazard a guess at Mathie??

The manager tells him what kind of player he would like and he goes out and tries to get the player.

That's my take on it

Manager has last say on signings

Nicho87
21-01-2018, 08:28 PM
Big Dave.
Whittaker
Swanson
Slivka
Stokes

Said it another thread. hibs produced a wonderfully thought out vision recently before Christmas shown on the daily record website. But this season has been massively disappointing signings.

How on earth a 33 year old landed a 3 year deal is beyond me.

Craig and Mathie should be looking at themselves

murray26
21-01-2018, 08:38 PM
Recruitment has been poor and needs addressing

ekhibee
21-01-2018, 08:41 PM
If he's available, and that's a big 'if', I'd go for Mallan. Plays midfield and/or behind the front 2 and scores goals as well. On saying that I'm not sure if we were in for him when he chose to go to Barnsley.

Leith Green
21-01-2018, 08:47 PM
Crying out for a latapy , zemmama , scott alan type of player.. For all our grit and industry we really could do with some flair moving forward.

Ronniekirk
21-01-2018, 08:51 PM

Nice videos don't win us Matches

Ozyhibby
21-01-2018, 08:52 PM
If he's available, and that's a big 'if', I'd go for Mallan. Plays midfield and/or behind the front 2 and scores goals as well. On saying that I'm not sure if we were in for him when he chose to go to Barnsley.

Mallan is especially annoying as we were playing against him for 3 years and were aware of his obvious talent long before Barnsley came calling. Problem is we want to wait until he’s out of contract so we don’t have to pay a fee.
I think this is a false economy when you are having to recruit 19 out of contract players just to get 3 in the team. Better to pay the fee and get quality.

we are hibs
21-01-2018, 08:57 PM
Mallan played and set up a goal from a freekick yesterday

Mibbes Aye
21-01-2018, 08:59 PM
As far as I can make out we have signed 19 players since Lennon arrived and only 3 could consider themselves automatic starters. Marciano, Ambrose and Stokes. That’s a pretty poor strike rate, especially as Stokes appears to be on his way out now as well.
This may not be Lennon’s fault but it’s important to recognise there is a problem so that steps can be taking to fix it.

Would you be including the likes of Kris Commons and Grant Holt, who did a job, in your numbers there? Or back-up keepers, who aren't going to be automatic starters but are essential. Would you also be including McLaren and Rherras who haven't even played for us yet?

21-01-2018, 09:02 PM
Recruitment it might be better than it was, but it isn't any better than other clubs despite what we'retold and shown in the "exclusive behind the scenes footage". I much prefer may club to just go about its' business quietly in such matters.
We still have some players way below par in this squad so why shout about how good it is.

I once worked with a guy who used to be rolled out by the media as an expert in his field.
I asked him how he became so well thought of.
He told me it was because he put it about that he knew more than the next man and that he said it so many times people started believing it.
I can see similarities!

21-01-2018, 09:08 PM

Nothing more than self publicity.

snooky
21-01-2018, 09:11 PM
Big Dave.
Whittaker
Swanson
Slivka
Stokes

Said it another thread. hibs produced a wonderfully thought out vision recently before Christmas shown on the daily record website. But this season has been massively disappointing signings.

How on earth a 33 year old landed a 3 year deal is beyond me.

Craig and Mathie should be looking at themselves

How on earth a 33 year old landed a deal is beyond me. :idiot:

Stuart93
21-01-2018, 09:11 PM
Hearts make two loan signings and they are straight in the team and probably regular starters from now on, the LB actually looked a good player.

The 3 players we've signed didn't even get a sniff whereas any player we sign SHOULD be good enough to go straight into the starting 11.

Leann always went on about quality over quantity, is that still the case.

jacomo
21-01-2018, 09:13 PM
Recruitment has been poor and needs addressing

I think most of us were pretty happy with our business in the summer.

Obviously too early to tell with the guys who’ve come in this month.

There have been disappointments but I think the individual players just haven’t risen to the challenge.

Cod Boy
21-01-2018, 09:14 PM
Hearts make two loan signings and they are straight in the team and probably regular starters from now on, the LB actually looked a good player.

The 3 players we've signed didn't even get a sniff whereas any player we sign SHOULD be good enough to go straight into the starting 11.

Leann always went on about quality over quantity, is that still the case.

Agree we should be signing players to enhance the first team. We can fill the bench with the young lads instead of bringing in players to sit on the bench.

col02
21-01-2018, 09:14 PM

Leann always went on about quality over quantity, is that still the case..

Imagine it was still Petrie in charge of the purse strings and not Dempster! He'd be getting roasted something rotten!

FitbaFolkKen
21-01-2018, 09:19 PM
I would agree a number of signings haven't worked out however Stubbs finished 3rd in the Championship, Lennon is sitting 4th in the top flight. That would suggest the squad is in a better place.

RossScott1991
21-01-2018, 09:20 PM
Been discussing this with mates today. All our best players are stubbs signings still. Lennon gives me zero confidence with his signings. Im actually worried when likes of mcginn mcgeough etc all move on then lennon will actually have to show his worth in rebuilding a team.

We are being linked with a swiss striker as a trialist with a poor striker rate. McLaren didn't even get a game today. Rherras is completely pointless. Linked with Ryan McGowan ffs!! he's been unusually quiet on twitter when he's normally busy on derby day. Im worried. The fact Tam McManus tweeted also ''could we see another ex hearts player sign this week?:wink:''

if thats level signings then we have reason to worry! McGowan is bang average and has turned into a complete journeyman

Stuart93
21-01-2018, 09:22 PM
Also seems as if we're starting to slip back into our old selves, signing loan players there to make up the numbers. Lennon doesn't inspire me at all with his signings but fingers have to be pointed at the recruitment team also.

snooky
21-01-2018, 09:24 PM
Also seems as if we're starting to slip back into our old selves, signing loan players there to make up the numbers. Lennon doesn't inspire me at all with his signings but fingers have to be pointed at the recruitment team also.

... aye, and we all know how that worked out :rolleyes:

calumhibee1
21-01-2018, 09:26 PM
I would agree a number of signings haven't worked out however Stubbs finished 3rd in the Championship, Lennon is sitting 4th in the top flight. That would suggest the squad is in a better place.

This team isn’t any better than the team that won the cup. IMO it’s maybe not even as good. The cup winning team had McGinn at the peak of his powers and a goal machine in Cummings. This side has McGinn who is a shadow of the player we know he can be this season and no threat at all going forward that Cummings provided. Only position we’ve improved is keeper.

FitbaFolkKen
21-01-2018, 09:31 PM
This team isn’t any better than the team that won the cup. IMO it’s maybe not even as good. The cup winning team had McGinn at the peak of his powers and a goal machine in Cummings. This side has McGinn who is a shadow of the player we know he can be this season and no threat at all going forward that Cummings provided. Only position we’ve improved is keeper.

And our league position by 11 places. We are challenging for Europe whereas that season we weren't even the top seed in the Championship play offs.

IberianHibernian
21-01-2018, 09:34 PM
Recruitment must be incredibly difficult especially in winter window when many available players are players who are struggling to get a game for their present clubs sometimes cause of fitness problems . Talented players if available often have fitness or bad offfield record so every signing is a risk . Lots of loan deals and short - term contract so temptation to look for long - term plan and risk long - term contracts ( in our case Whittaker is already looking like a mistake and a loss of form by Marciano might make club regret long deal at some point . I was surprised that Boyle got such a long deal hoping we`d be signing better in next couple of years but maybe club was being realistic knowing we can`t offer high enough wages to sign better ) .
I`m always a bit surprised when I read the numerous comments here about " rising spiral " and how nothing at club is like what it was pre relegation and recruitment is one example . Tendency to write off all / most Caldwell , Fenlon and Butcher signings as bad and Stubbs`as almost all good ( possibly true but players he signed were also competing in a lower division ) . Recent report about our recruitment plan so far only seems like good PR and no different from 5 or 10 years ago . If Lennon left tomorrow would we have new manager waiting to take over ? Are devt team playing like first team ? Any other plans that were mentioned regarding planning for coming years ?
Anyway , hopefully the 3 new signings that were on the bench today will prove to be good signings when ready for action and we already have a list of good and realistic signings for next season . More importantly , get Dylan signed up .
I would have written the same if we`d drawn or won today .

guthrie01
21-01-2018, 09:34 PM

😂 Wondered how long it would take before this line was used. Lennon had 1 more point than the previous season when we finished 3rd and was in a FAR EASIER league than Stubbs had to deal with.
Stubbs always had us up for the big games and done much better against the Premiership teams.

Most of our current best players where all brought in by him.

GreenNWhiteArmy
21-01-2018, 09:39 PM
By my counting Lennon has signed 22 players.

Back up signings:

Scott Gallagher
Brian McLean
Neil Eardsley

Successes:
Jason Cummings - convincing him to sign on for another year so mustbe given credit
Grant Holt
Andrew Shinnie
Efe Ambrose
Kris Commons
Ofir Marciano
Ross Laidlaw
Anthony stokes - based purely on stats
Simon Murray
Brandon Barker

Poor signings:
Brian Graham
Chris Humphrey- expected more from him
Vykintas Slivka - expecting more from him
Steven Whittaker
Danny Swanson- mitigating circumstances
Big Dave

Untested:

Scott Bain
Facial Rherras
Jamie MaClaren

On paper most of these are solid signings. I expected a lot more from this season's signings tbh. They need to contribute much more over the 2nd half of the season if they're still around.

Bit of a mixed bag in terms of signings. Hoping for better between now and the end of August

FitbaFolkKen
21-01-2018, 09:44 PM
😂 Wondered how long it would take before this line was used. Lennon had 1 more point than the previous season when we finished 3rd and was in a FAR EASIER league than Stubbs had to deal with.
Stubbs always had us up for the big games and done much better against the Premiership teams.

I don't see the issue in using the facts to support an argument, as opposed to the subjective "FAR EASIER" in your post. In Stubbs second season he finished 3rd in the Championship, Lennon's second season we are 4th in the league above.

Up for the big games yet we blew the league that season with 4 losses in a row to Morton, Dumbarton, QOS and Raith Rovers.

The revisionism on here is ridiculous, wish we were back struggling against the teams in the Championship.....

Sammy7nil
21-01-2018, 09:46 PM

Stubbs lost all his BIGGEST games bar one. Not having a go just stating facts. League cup final and play offs twice.

wookie70
21-01-2018, 10:10 PM
I'm interested in the types of players we are signing. If we look at Stubbs it seemed we had a plan. Lots of young mostly Scottish/British good futures but maybe with something stopping them progressing. McGinn needed a bigger team, Henderson and Dylan weren't getting a game and Allen had fallen out of favour as had Fyvie. All were good on the ball and all, if signed permanently, could have went on to make us some money. Allen did and SJM could. They all had something to prove and all would probably think Hibs were a stepping stone to something bigger. I can imagine most of those fitting in with the database at East Mains. Even the older wiser pros still were relatively young like Marv and SDG. He never got them all right but no manager does. Most of the players were model pros with a fantastic attitude but we also had a maverick thrown in with Stokes and Allen.

Since Lennon came in I get more of the feeling we are dealing with Agents and players he knows or rates. We also have more than our fair share of mavericks with Stokes, Swanson, Ambrose and a budding one in Boyle. We are also signing too many players, imo, players that are dropping from the heights they have reached like Stokes, Ambrose, Whitts and Holt. There have been a few who have followed the model. Slivka and Big Dave neither of who have really been given a run in the team, Simon Murray who has done well but seems to have completely fallen out of favour and Barker. Arguably Lennon's best signing was Jason and he was already here. The only signing he has made that is likely to start and finish most games this season is Efe and to be honest he isn't great at right back and I would play Daz and Hanlon ahead of him in the middle. I also think Lennon has had a bigger budget to work with but hasn't got the value from it Stubbs did.

The players in the successful signings below would also divide opinion. I never thought Holt was a success, I liked Shinnie but he flattered to deceive, Commons a couple of important goals but very short term. I would let Stubbs make our outfield signings and allow Lennon to sign goalies.

I really liked when Leeann came in and talked about creating a model based on Southampton. I bought into it and with Stubbs I think we lived that model. Under Lennon I feel we are talking about it but not necessarily living it.

Back up signings:

Scott Gallagher
Brian McLean
Neil Eardsley

Successes:
Jason Cummings - convincing him to sign on for another year so mustbe given credit
Grant Holt
Andrew Shinnie
Efe Ambrose
Kris Commons
Ofir Marciano
Ross Laidlaw
Simon Murray
Brandon Barker

Poor signings:
Brian Graham
Steven Whittaker
Big Dave

Untested:

Scott Bain
Facial Rherras
Jamie MaClaren

On paper most of these are solid signings. I expected a lot more from this season's signings tbh. They need to contribute much more over the 2nd half of the season if they're still around.

Bit of a mixed bag in terms of signings. Hoping for better between now and the end of August

Ozyhibby
21-01-2018, 10:16 PM

Back up signings:

Scott Gallagher
Brian McLean
Neil Eardsley

Successes:
Grant Holt
Andrew Shinnie
Efe Ambrose
Kris Commons
Ofir Marciano
Ross Laidlaw
Simon Murray
Brandon Barker

Poor signings:
Brian Graham
Steven Whittaker
Big Dave

Untested:

Scott Bain
Facial Rherras
Jamie MaClaren

Laidlaw surely goes in the back up section? Holt wasn’t a success for me, not with only 6? goals in the championship. Shinnie was hopeless as well. Both had to be dropped a couple of times by Lennon and no further deal was offered to either.
Simon Murray is struggling to get in the team just now.
Barker will be a decent player but he is very inconsistent and is just not producing an end product. Still not scored a goal?
Actual full on successes are Ambrose and Marciano. Stokes as well until he blew it.

calumhibee1
21-01-2018, 10:24 PM
And our league position by 11 places. We are challenging for Europe whereas that season we weren't even the top seed in the Championship play offs.

Obviously it’s impossible to say this for sure cause nobody knows, but IMO a big part of us finishing third was our march to two cup finals to deal with on top of our league duties. We were always going to struggle to beat Rangers to the league. This team we have right now wouldn’t have beat them to the league either.

Third was a bit of a false position to an extent - yes we maybe deserved to be there but that’s only because our league form suffered while we chased a cup double/even a treble at one point.

Heisenberg
21-01-2018, 10:29 PM
Obviously it’s impossible to say this for sure cause nobody knows, but IMO a big part of us finishing third was our march to two cup finals to deal with on top of our league duties. We were always going to struggle to beat Rangers to the league. This team we have right now wouldn’t have beat them to the league either.

Third was a bit of a false position to an extent - yes we maybe deserved to be there but that’s only because our league form suffered while we chased a cup double/even a treble at one point.

Nah, the cup runs don’t wash as an excuse for me. We lost EIGHT games in the championship under Stubbs that season. Totally unacceptable, cup runs or not. We’ve got folk just now quoting our form as being 2 wins in 10 but there’s no mention of a very difficult and jam packed run of fixtures in December.

Ozyhibby
21-01-2018, 10:34 PM
Nah, the cup runs don’t wash as an excuse for me. We lost EIGHT games in the championship under Stubbs that season. Totally unacceptable, cup runs or not. We’ve got folk just now quoting our form as being 2 wins in 10 but there’s no mention of a very difficult and jam packed run of fixtures in December.

I don’t think we have been great under Stubbs or Lennon because we can’t score goals. It’s a problem both managers have failed to fix.
It’s Lennon’s problem now though and I’m not sure he knows how to solve it.

truehibernian
21-01-2018, 10:51 PM
I don’t think we have been great under Stubbs or Lennon because we can’t score goals. It’s a problem both managers have failed to fix.
It’s Lennon’s problem now though and I’m not sure he knows how to solve it.

I think the issue has always been a lack of goals from midfield and set pieces - think we have goal scorers, but when you look at the free kicks and corners we get the return is absolutely horrendous. Was Slivka's the last goal from a shot outside the box ? May have been McGinn at Parkhead ? There doesn't appear to be a midfielder who has the ability and/or confidence to have shots from outside the area which is depressing given they are pro footballers.

Ronniekirk
21-01-2018, 10:55 PM
Hearts have had seven clean sheets in a row During that time we have conceded 11 goals so agree we don't score enough but keep clean sheets and you aren't getting beaten

Mibbes Aye
21-01-2018, 11:26 PM

Would you be including the likes of Kris Commons and Grant Holt, who did a job, in your numbers there? Or back-up keepers, who aren't going to be automatic starters but are essential. Would you also be including McLaren and Rherras who haven't even played for us yet?

It's been a couple of hours since I questioned your post. You've replied to other posts on this thread since then.

Is it fair to say you were feeling a bit melodramatic? Maybe took some stats and tried to make them into something they weren't? And got caught out?

eastcoasthibby
21-01-2018, 11:34 PM
Recruitment it might be better than it was, but it isn't any better than other clubs despite what we'retold and shown in the "exclusive behind the scenes footage". I much prefer may club to just go about its' business quietly in such matters.
We still have some players way below par in this squad so why shout about how good it is.

I once worked with a guy who used to be rolled out by the media as an expert in his field.
He told me it was because he put it about that he knew more than the next man and that he said it so many times people started believing it.
I can see similarities!

Have to agree the recruitment side is worrying and absolutely the question needs asked about what are the credentials.of our scouts ? It looks like Stokes and Whittaker have swallowed up the wages of another 2 players we could have afforded for very poor return overall.

Tornadoes70
21-01-2018, 11:37 PM
Hearts have had seven clean sheets in a row During that time we have conceded 11 goals so agree we don't score enough but keep clean sheets and you aren't getting beaten

Agree with the fact that clean sheets are always valued however the classless Levein normally sets up his team for a clean sheet no matter what. His is a one dimension vision. Ollie Shaw scored a perfectly good goal that of course breached his one dimensional approach that was ignored by the officials..

I remember the Bertie Auld days which was a similar clean sheet approach and it wasn't pretty and un conducive to attracting fans to come out in numbers to watch. Levein is a classless negatory.

GGTTH

Forza Fred
21-01-2018, 11:50 PM

I can see similarities!

Can I suggest that the recruitment ‘system’ we have is ok, apart from relying in some instances relying only on video tapes, until it gets to the decision making part, which is carried out by a human.

Difficult to argue that poor decisions have not been made.

Whittaker on a three year contract for one, surely must have raised eyebrows given he was 33?

hibees 7062
22-01-2018, 12:01 AM

Imagine it was still Petrie in charge of the purse strings and not Dempster! He'd be getting roasted something rotten!

It is

Ozyhibby
22-01-2018, 12:09 AM
It's been a couple of hours since I questioned your post. You've replied to other posts on this thread since then.

Is it fair to say you were feeling a bit melodramatic? Maybe took some stats and tried to make them into something they weren't? And got caught out?

Covered in other answers which you’ve obviously read. I don’t see Holt as a good signing.
Got caught out? LOL
If you think recruitment is going well just say so. I’ve no time for games. I’m making what I think is a legitimate point about the quality of our recruitment. It looks like a few other people think so too.

Unseen work
22-01-2018, 02:28 AM
We need midfield runners and boys that want to score goals and create.

Templeton
Crawford
Mark Ohara
Mallan
Chris Cadden

Ozyhibby
22-01-2018, 06:37 AM
We need midfield runners and boys that want to score goals and create.

Templeton
Crawford
Mark Ohara
Mallan
Chris Cadden

We’ll not go for any of them because there are fees involved. Thing is we are gambling with cheaper options. Buy cheap, buy twice as they say.

GreenNWhiteArmy
22-01-2018, 06:38 AM
Laidlaw surely goes in the back up section? Holt wasn’t a success for me, not with only 6? goals in the championship. Shinnie was hopeless as well. Both had to be dropped a couple of times by Lennon and no further deal was offered to either.
Simon Murray is struggling to get in the team just now.
Barker will be a decent player but he is very inconsistent and is just not producing an end product. Still not scored a goal?
Actual full on successes are Ambrose and Marciano. Stokes as well until he blew it.

Laidlaw has featured a good few times so for me although not first choice I wouldn't have deemed a back up until we signed Bain.

Ah the bollocks about Holt not scoring. This topic was covered to the death and split most. To me he offered much more than goals with this hold up play, getting the team up the park and experience - I'd rather have him right now than big Dave. But let's play it your way.... stokes has 11 in 21 with 4 or 5 assists plus key passes leading to a goal that don't count and Simon Murray has 14 in 26 but I know this will be attributed to opposition and pens for your agenda

Every player has a loss of form and needs dropped. Even super John mcginn. Marciano has had spells where he's lost form.

For me you're being far too negative and on here has the type of hysteria I've come to expect with a loss in a big game. In the first round of fixtures we took 4 points from the old firm, beat hearts and should have got something against the dons and people had us challenging for 2nd. Now all of a sudden we're questioning the manager and his signings?

BSEJVT
22-01-2018, 07:17 AM
To me Stubbs signings were a million times better than Lennon's with the added complication of less cash and having to persuade them to play in the ***** Championship.

What I particularly liked about Stubbs signings were that many were young players with chance and desire to improve themselves by signing for a bigger club.

Most of Lennon's signings seem to have come from the tried and failed methods of the past.

Borderhibbie76
22-01-2018, 07:20 AM

Imagine it was still Petrie in charge of the purse strings and not Dempster! He'd be getting roasted something rotten!Absolutely and I wasn't his biggest fan either but some serious questions here for Dempster. The loss of form over last 10 games is worrying as is what so far has been a 2nd.poor window in succession. Nothing as yet on stokes situ and she still hasn't addresses our ticketing issues neither. If we keep playing they way we have in the last 2 months she won t have a ticketing issue to worry about as the fans who have came rushing back since cup win can just as easily lapse again.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

SeanWilson
22-01-2018, 07:25 AM
I got talking to a young lad who is part of the scouting team at hibs. Basically trying to get in to the profession but still studying. Told me that hibs had no interest in giving him a permanent role on the scouting team, we have several students doing 'work experience' watching dvds and going out to watch players across the country and making reports for our 'recruitment team'. Now I know that we're not in a position to have an extensive scouting outfit but surely a club our size can afford an actual team of scouts rather than rely on teenagers from college to report to one highly paid individual? Is this just the norm in Scottish football? Seems to me we've resorted to bargain basement/old hat types.

Unseen work
22-01-2018, 05:44 PM
Whilst Stubbs teams were good young players who played good football they often lacked physicality or being able to see out teams.

Lennon addressed what was missing and got us promoted and to 4th in the league.

He now recognised that we need another couple of forward thinking players and I expect we will get a big name coming in.

WhileTheChief..
22-01-2018, 06:50 PM
I got talking to a young lad who is part of the scouting team at hibs. Basically trying to get in to the profession but still studying. Told me that hibs had no interest in giving him a permanent role on the scouting team, we have several students doing 'work experience' watching dvds and going out to watch players across the country and making reports for our 'recruitment team'. Now I know that we're not in a position to have an extensive scouting outfit but surely a club our size can afford an actual team of scouts rather than rely on teenagers from college to report to one highly paid individual? Is this just the norm in Scottish football? Seems to me we've resorted to bargain basement/old hat types.

A bit harsh.

Watch the video that the Daily Record had that covered everything we do with regards recruitment and scouting.

bigwheel
25-01-2018, 06:11 PM
I was interested to hear John McGinn in his post match interview acknowledge that teams in our league has recruited well in this window, He implied that we will have to step up our game to keep up in the league. I think it is fair to say that Aberdeen, Rangers, Hearts, and even Motherwell have so far had a better window than us. The unplanned likely loss of Stokes makes it all the harder.

I suspect there will be a few twists and turns in our squad before end of the window. It does feel tough that a number of our closest competitors will have a stronger squad for the second half than they had during the first part of the season. Our squad will have to focus and work hard (as we did last night) to keep collecting a decent points return...makes for an interesting second half of the season...

Borderhibbie76
25-01-2018, 06:35 PM
I was interested to hear John McGinn in his post match interview acknowledge that teams in our league has recruited well in this window, He implied that we will have to step up our game to keep up in the league. I think it is fair to say that Aberdeen, Rangers, Hearts, and even Motherwell have so far had a better window than us. The unplanned likely loss of Stokes makes it all the harder.

I suspect there will be a few twists and turns in our squad before end of the window. It does feel tough that a number of our closest competitors will have a stronger squad for the second half than they had during the first part of the season. Our squad will have to focus and work hard (as we did last night) to keep collecting a decent points return...makes for an interesting second half of the season...Dunno about Motherwell who have lost their talisman. Hearts have strengthened as have Rangers and the Dandies...but we don't know the impact of our new signings yet as they haven't played...other than a brief 8 mins for Maclaren last night. There will probably be a few more ins and outs before next weds so let's just wait and see before we write off our new signings. Other than Naismith have u heard of the other hearts signings before??

ancient hibee
25-01-2018, 06:56 PM
To me Stubbs signings were a million times better than Lennon's with the added complication of less cash and having to persuade them to play in the ***** Championship.

What I particularly liked about Stubbs signings were that many were young players with chance and desire to improve themselves by signing for a bigger club.

Most of Lennon's signings seem to have come from the tried and failed methods of the past.
Presumably you mean that they had to be persuaded to play in the Championship because it was a poor standard.Does that not mean that they would look better players than those signed to play in a better league?
?

Firestarter
25-01-2018, 07:01 PM
Presumably you mean that they had to be persuaded to play in the Championship because it was a poor standard.Does that not mean that they would look better players than those signed to play in a better league?
?

Most the Stubbs signings still look better than anyone Lennon has signed goalkeeper aside. His recruitment so far has been shocking.

IWasThere2016
25-01-2018, 07:02 PM

I concur with this..

Wee Effen Bee
25-01-2018, 08:28 PM
...and it’s the end of January, we’re fourth in the league (4th and with a tiny bit of luck - and a linesman without eye problems - could have been 3rd) five points ahead of our city rivals - who spend more than we can and a day after yet another away win. Christ, we are so sheit aren’t we?

Tyler Durden
25-01-2018, 08:42 PM
Dunno about Motherwell who have lost their talisman. Hearts have strengthened as have Rangers and the Dandies...but we don't know the impact of our new signings yet as they haven't played...other than a brief 8 mins for Maclaren last night. There will probably be a few more ins and outs before next weds so let's just wait and see before we write off our new signings. Other than Naismith have u heard of the other hearts signings before??

Motherwell signed Ciftci though. Personally think he'd have solved our problems up front. Yes he's a risk but he'll do great in this league IMO, can bring midfielders into the game, something we lack

bigwheel
25-01-2018, 09:40 PM
Dunno about Motherwell who have lost their talisman. Hearts have strengthened as have Rangers and the Dandies...but we don't know the impact of our new signings yet as they haven't played...other than a brief 8 mins for Maclaren last night. There will probably be a few more ins and outs before next weds so let's just wait and see before we write off our new signings. Other than Naismith have u heard of the other hearts signings before??

Not writing them off Border ..was interesting to me that McGinn recognised others had signed well...Naismith alone is a top capture, whether people know the other Hearts have signed ....can’t see us marching that and some the others have signed. And with Stokes going. We are weaker than we started, while others are stronger ...not saying we won’t compete. But makes it more competitive...

Stuart93
26-01-2018, 10:03 AM
I think we should sack all our youth scouts and hire hamiltons. What a job they manage to considering they're so close to the uglies

jacomo
26-01-2018, 10:12 AM
Most the Stubbs signings still look better than anyone Lennon has signed goalkeeper aside. His recruitment so far has been shocking.

Stubbs brought in Conrad Logan though... how can anyone top that?

J-C
26-01-2018, 03:22 PM
Recent team selections have seen us playing with 1 striker and 2 wide men, yet Lennon seems obsessed with strikers, do we really 5 or 6 strikers on the books.

Thecat23
26-01-2018, 03:24 PM
Recent team selections have seen us playing with 1 striker and 2 wide men, yet Lennon seems obsessed with strikers, do we really 5 or 6 strikers on the books.

Dave will be away, Stokes is also out the door. Leaves us Murray, Shaw and MacLaren. That’s a little light for me. We need an experienced striker who knows where the goal is.

CMurdoch
26-01-2018, 03:34 PM

Knowing how much each player is being paid would help decide how good or bad a signing has been but without that I would say

Ambrose and Slivka were great signings
Whittaker was an appalling piece of business. 3 years!!!
Murray was a low risk punt
Big Dave was a strange one given Lennon hasn't given him a chance
Swanson may come good now he has had a kicking from Lennon.
Stokes if they can't get shot in the next 5 days, or towing the line, will have been disastrous but we know why Lennon signed him. Gamble didn't pay off.

The 3 new guys should work out ok.

Lennon's signings at Celtic were also a bit hit and miss AFAIR.