PDA

View Full Version : Maclaren

Lee Marvin
21-01-2018, 08:20 PM
WTF was the point in him being on the bench today??

If he was fit, how shaw lasted 90 mins is beyond me. If he wasn't, why was he even on the bench!?!

Diclonius
21-01-2018, 08:21 PM
I didn't get that either. Same with Rherras - why the clamour to get him registered for the derby if Lennon wasn't even going to play him? He would have been a massive improvement on Ambrose.

Thecat23
21-01-2018, 08:22 PM
My thoughts exactly, if you are on the bench you are fit to play. Very odd from the manager.

Libby Hibby
21-01-2018, 08:23 PM
Agree, why sign him and no play him? Their two loaners were the difference and our 3 sat on the bench, strange.

Hfc_Since1875
21-01-2018, 08:23 PM
My opinion is that he must have been very poor in training to not be involved today! Bringing on Murray when we know what he can do isn’t a good sign for him!

Lee Marvin
21-01-2018, 08:26 PM
Agree, why sign him and no play him? Their two loaners were the difference and our 3 sat on the bench, strange.

Shaw is nowhere near ready to lead the line in a derby at Tynecastle. We could not get up the park at all in the 2nd half and lennon not seeing this, or ignoring it, is worrying.

We badly need someone who can hold onto the ball.

B.H.F.C
21-01-2018, 08:27 PM
There is another thread one here talking about having a plan.

We've signed 3 players in this window and they didn't get a minute between them in a dire performance.

At the start of this window I didn't think we needed massive changes, we just had to try and add one or two that would improve us.

Not sure what the plan is.

JohnM1875
21-01-2018, 08:27 PM
My opinion is that he must have been very poor in training to not be involved today! Bringing on Murray when we know what he can do isn’t a good sign for him!

Aye. Why bring on your top scorer eh? Instead try someone who has barely played first team football this season.

calumhibee1
21-01-2018, 08:28 PM
I'm not reading too much into it. When he brought Murray on it was 0-0. He knows how Murray will handle SPL football (whether he handles it well or not is obviously a different story) and no matter what he's seen of McLaren in training he may have been well off the pace - he's probably not played in a league with the frantic style of the SPL, never mind throwing a derby into the mix. 0-0 in an away derby isn't the time to find out.

I however would have gambled and brought him on as Simon Murray is pretty much a certainty to offer absolutely nothing.

Lee Marvin
21-01-2018, 08:29 PM
Aye. Why bring on your top scorer eh? Instead try someone who has barely played first team football this season.

He could easily have brought on both. Shaw and Boyle were effing murder today.

calumhibee1
21-01-2018, 08:29 PM

Agreed. I don't particularly rate Simon Murray tbh but I can see the logic in bringing him on ahead of McLaren for the exact reason you've stated above. Especially as we were drawing at this point and he was maybe looking to just see out the game.

Northernhibee
21-01-2018, 08:30 PM
When they scored the obvious decision was take off Lewis, put Efe into a back three and go three up front with MacLaren, Shaw and Murray. Why we didn't use our third sub is beyond me.

Lee Marvin
21-01-2018, 08:31 PM
Agreed. I don't particularly rate Simon Murray tbh but I can see the logic in bringing him on ahead of McLaren for the exact reason you've stated above. Especially as we were drawing at this point and he was maybe looking to just see out the game.

Do you think shaw merited 90 mins? Or Boyle (although I understand why he would keep Boyle on)?

wookie70
21-01-2018, 08:31 PM
out.

I however would have gambled and brought him on as Simon Murray is pretty much a certainty to offer absolutely nothing.

If you don't include Derby winning goals and being top scorer

JCHibby
21-01-2018, 08:32 PM
Shaw is nowhere near ready to lead the line in a derby at Tynecastle. We could not get up the park at all in the 2nd half and lennon not seeing this, or ignoring it, is worrying.

Was Lennon making a statement? ie “I’m pissing in the wind and getting wet”? He needs funds

SneakersO'Toole
21-01-2018, 08:36 PM
There is another thread one here talking about having a plan.

We've signed 3 players in this window and they didn't get a minute between them in a dire performance.

At the start of this window I didn't think we needed massive changes, we just had to try and add one or two that would improve us.

Not sure what the plan is.

I'm not sure Lennon does either.

Recruitment is a major worry. This is still mainly Stubbs team we are seeing. The jury is out on the vast majority of Lennon's signings.

Thecat23
21-01-2018, 08:36 PM
Boyle or Shaw for me could have been subbed for MacLaren. Last 20 mins both looked dead in their feet.

kaimendhibs
21-01-2018, 08:37 PM
It did concern me thst rather than bring on our new striker, we sent our centre halfs up front to save the game

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

calumhibee1
21-01-2018, 08:38 PM
Do you think shaw merited 90 mins? Or Boyle (although I understand why he would keep Boyle on)?

Nope, I don't.

Lee Marvin
21-01-2018, 08:39 PM

Recruitment is a major worry. This is still mainly Stubbs team we are seeing. The jury is out on the vast majority of Lennon's signings.

Stubbs has destroyed lennon in the recruiting stakes!! On a smaller budget too.

Big week coming up for Neil

calumhibee1
21-01-2018, 08:39 PM
If you don't include Derby winning goals and being top scorer

He is, but he's been murder for a long time now. His derby winning goal was the last time I can remember being impressed with him - 3 months ago.

21-01-2018, 08:40 PM
I didn't get that either. Same with Rherras - why the clamour to get him registered for the derby if Lennon wasn't even going to play him? He would have been a massive improvement on Ambrose.

I don't know anything about Rherras but surely he couldn't have been any worse than Ambrose today. Ambrose when at RB is a total bombscare. Rherras has to start there on wednesday.

As for MacLaren, I was surprised not to see him even come off the bench.

truehibernian
21-01-2018, 08:41 PM
Was Lennon making a statement? ie “I’m pissing in the wind and getting wet”? He needs funds

By losing a cup tie - we were beaten by one set piece - no official statement required really. Agreed we could do with a couple of players but to suggest a Lennon 'sabotage' is extreme. Club will make a less public 'statement of intent' by getting rid of Stokes and showing they won't tolerate players acting like 10 year old's when away and not showing up for work on time.

Way better statement of intent will be to sign two attack minded players who can create and score goals - if not, we'll be top 6 at best, lower at worst.

Ronniekirk
21-01-2018, 08:46 PM
He is, but he's been murder for a long time now. His derby winning goal was the last time I can remember being impressed with him - 3 months ago.

Not sure what has happened to Murray but at present when called upon he looks nothing like the player that scored the winner against them in the last game at Easter Road

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BoomtownHibees
21-01-2018, 08:51 PM

Only one of Lennons outfield signings started today’s game (and he was murder). Signings haven’t been great tbh

stantonhibby
21-01-2018, 08:53 PM
Only one of Lennons outfield signings started today’s game (and he was murder). Signings haven’t been great tbh

BoomtownHibees
21-01-2018, 08:54 PM

Efe and ??

Outfield remember

stantonhibby
21-01-2018, 08:57 PM
Efe and ??

Outfield remember

Slivka

Puddocky
21-01-2018, 08:57 PM
Efe and ??

Outfield remember

Slivka

theonlywayisup
21-01-2018, 08:58 PM
Efe and ??

Outfield remember

Slivka

Lago
21-01-2018, 08:59 PM

Berra had him in his pocket all game

BoomtownHibees
21-01-2018, 09:00 PM
Slivka

Aw aye. Forgot all about him.

Point still stands

Lee Marvin
21-01-2018, 09:00 PM
Berra had him in his pocket all game

Man against boy

Northernhibee
21-01-2018, 09:29 PM

I sincerely doubt and hope not. If a manager didn't set their team up in the best manner to win a game in order to prove a point then they really would deserve the sack.

wookie70
21-01-2018, 09:46 PM

He scored in 3 out of five games following that Derby winner and hasn't played a full 90 minutes since his last goal. An assist against The Rangers was his contribution in the only game he got close to 90 minutes. I think being dropped has affected his confidence. He also doesn't look like he works anywhere near as hard now as he did when he was playing well and I do wonder if some of the nonsense Stokes is being accused of could have affected Murray. Quite easy to fall into I'm working hard but keep getting dropped and he swans in when he fancies and plays 90 minutes most weeks even when he is playing poorly.

woodyhfc4892
22-01-2018, 01:07 AM
Aw aye. Forgot all about him.

Point still stands

Tbf I thought Slivka had a decent game in the middle of the park before he was subbed.. after him n Bartley were taken off we fell apart, of course IMO

SeanWilson
22-01-2018, 06:05 AM
If you watch NL press conference prior to the match he alludes to McLaren still getting up to speed with our game etc so clearly not showing it in training.

Viva_Palmeiras
22-01-2018, 06:15 AM
I'm not reading too much into it. When he brought Murray on it was 0-0. He knows how Murray will handle SPL football (whether he handles it well or not is obviously a different story) and no matter what he's seen of McLaren in training he may have been well off the pace - he's probably not played in a league with the frantic style of the SPL, never mind throwing a derby into the mix. 0-0 in an away derby isn't the time to find out.

Except a goal in a derby and against the Gers and being our top scorer within the team ”absolutely nothing”. Really?

HH81
22-01-2018, 06:28 AM

Murray scored the winner in a derby earlier this season so why not give him a chance?

Man Down Under
22-01-2018, 06:33 AM
I suspect Lennon wanted experienced derby players as it's not your run off the mill game of football. I certainly wasn't expecting him to start. Hearts didn't have as many options as we do so they had to start the new signings.

Sent from my SM-J320ZN using Tapatalk

MacGruber
22-01-2018, 07:30 AM
send him back to Oz. Don't need a 4th choice striker on a decent wedge.

He is either rubbish which doesn't help or good which will infuriate knowing he could have had an impact in the game that mattered a he'll of a lot more than the matched to come

Forza Fred
22-01-2018, 07:40 AM

He is either rubbish which doesn't help or good which will infuriate knowing he could have had an impact in the game that mattered a he'll of a lot more than the matched to come

After 6 months he'll definitely be going back...but to Germany, not Oz.

Not yet anyway.

MacLaren's an OK striker, he's not crap, but he's not super Dooper either.

He'll make a decent living in football when he eventually returns to Oz, and probably is of our championship level, or the lower reaches of the SPL, but is no undiscovered superstar.

Hfc_Since1875
22-01-2018, 07:42 AM
Murray scored the winner in a derby earlier this season so why not give him a chance?

It’s not a dig at Murray, I just think it might say more about Lennons early impression of maclaren in training?

The Leith Dutch
22-01-2018, 07:49 AM

Doubt he's been signed as 4th choice.
Stokes and Big Dave likely off, Shaw
not ready to be number one starter and
Murray off the boil right now.

MacGruber
22-01-2018, 07:59 AM
Doubt he's been signed as 4th choice.
Stokes and Big Dave likely off, Shaw
not ready to be number one starter and
Murray off the boil right now.

I agree about Shaw. I like him but he isn't ready to play up top on his own. not even with the 2 wingers either.
3 week break and a transfer window the club's 2 top goalscorers the international trailed for a year target man and newly acquired international striker signed in the window and yet this was how we were set up. Game was burst before a ball was kicked.