PDA

View Full Version : Time to get a plan

murray26
21-01-2018, 07:18 PM
Where are we honestly going as a club..? Scottish cup win tick.. record season ticket sales ✅ great young fan base ✅ we really need to know because I don’t see the long term ambition..

wookie70
21-01-2018, 07:26 PM
When Leeann came in it looked like we had one. Buy young players with potential to sell on, have a playing style with 2 pro players and a development player for each position, rise above it and be classy but act decisively when needed. Not sure what the plan is now particularly on regards to signings and style of play. Do the academy change formations and personnel every week so they can mirror the first team.

I agree a plan is exactly what is required but I don't think that is Lennon's way of managing. He seems to manage on emotions.

DarlingtonHibee
21-01-2018, 07:37 PM
We are all disappointed after today , but we are in good hands, with a clear strategy and structure. Should be focusing on top six now.

Famous Fiver
21-01-2018, 07:46 PM
All playing issues aside that defeat today has cost us a fair few bob.

They gambled £300k+ on Naismith and Mitchell. It has paid off and a run to the quarters, semis or even, god forbid, the final will bring them in 1/4 Mill, 1/2 Mill or even more.

Apart from walk ups and away fans we won't have much coming through the gate for the rest of the season.

This must impact on our ability to recruit a right back, attacking midfielder, goalscorer of proven quality which is being touted elsewhere on this forum.

The main source of income now for this season as far as I can see is through player sales.

Who have we got that will attract a substantial fee?

John McGinn. Anyone else? Paul Hanlon maybe.

Selling either of them at the moment doesn't bear thinking about so as far as I can see NL is just going to have to get the best out of what we presently have, and, to be fair, in my opinion, that gives him a fair bit to work with.

wookie70
21-01-2018, 07:50 PM
We are all disappointed after today , but we are in good hands, with a clear strategy and structure. Should be focusing on top six now.

What is the strategy. It's far from clear from my point of view. If it is finishing in the top six when sitting clear in 4th I'm worried

Sammy7nil
21-01-2018, 08:04 PM
All playing issues aside that defeat today has cost us a fair few bob.

They gambled £300k+ on Naismith and Mitchell. It has paid off and a run to the quarters, semis or even, god forbid, the final will bring them in 1/4 Mill, 1/2 Mill or even more.

Apart from walk ups and away fans we won't have much coming through the gate for the rest of the season.

This must impact on our ability to recruit a right back, attacking midfielder, goalscorer of proven quality which is being touted elsewhere on this forum.

The main source of income now for this season as far as I can see is through player sales.

Who have we got that will attract a substantial fee?

John McGinn. Anyone else? Paul Hanlon maybe.

Selling either of them at the moment doesn't bear thinking about so as far as I can see NL is just going to have to get the best out of what we presently have, and, to be fair, in my opinion, that gives him a fair bit to work with.

So if they had not gambled and kept the money in the bank they would be no worse off win or lose.

CallumHibs07
21-01-2018, 08:08 PM

Focusing on top 6? Is that how low the bar is set now?

FitbaFolkKen
21-01-2018, 08:09 PM
What is the strategy. It's far from clear from my point of view. If it is finishing in the top six when sitting clear in 4th I'm worried

Lennon has said all season about finishing in the top 6, why would you be worried if we are ahead of our goals? As a club we have finished in the top four 5 out of the last 30 seasons, I think top 6 is a fair target on our return to the top flight with looking to improve next season.

Blaster
21-01-2018, 08:10 PM
Focusing on top 6? Is that how low the bar is set now?

First season back up. That’s s reasonable start

wookie70
21-01-2018, 08:39 PM
Lennon has said all season about finishing in the top 6, why would you be worried if we are ahead of our goals? As a club we have finished in the top four 5 out of the last 30 seasons, I think top 6 is a fair target on our return to the top flight with looking to improve next season.

If you are already in fourth though surely the goal would be to remain there.

FitbaFolkKen
21-01-2018, 08:47 PM
If you are already in fourth though surely the goal would be to remain there.

No you achieve the target first then reassess. Look at the season Leicester won the league, Ranieri spent most of it talking about hitting 40 points to ensure their safety, then set a new target. I don't think he started talking about winning the league until the last couple of games of the season.

wookie70
21-01-2018, 08:53 PM
No you achieve the target first then reassess. Look at the season Leicester won the league, Ranieri spent most of it talking about hitting 40 points to ensure their safety, then set a new target. I don't think he started talking about winning the league until the last couple of games of the season.

You are probably right. I don't think the time is right to be aiming for fourth.

hibbysam
22-01-2018, 08:13 AM
You are probably right. I don't think the time is right to be aiming for fourth.

Why not? Celtic Aberdeen and rangers will obviously be stronger, but why shouldn’t we expect to finish above one of the worst hearts sides, Motherwell, st Johnstone etc. Let’s put a bit of ambition into our club.

wookie70
22-01-2018, 09:19 AM
Why not? Celtic Aberdeen and rangers will obviously be stronger, but why shouldn’t we expect to finish above one of the worst hearts sides, Motherwell, st Johnstone etc. Let’s put a bit of ambition into our club. I was being sarcastic. If we are fourth now I would already have reassessed and been looking to strengthen this window. Unfortunately, it looks like we have went backwards.

Captain Trips
22-01-2018, 09:24 AM
Where are we honestly going as a club..? Scottish cup win tick.. record season ticket sales ✅ great young fan base ✅ we really need to know because I don’t see the long term ambition..

I do not see what you are on about, yeah we have been put out cup but that can happen. We are going in right direction and unfortunately of late the only issues to let us down are some of the players themselves. I do not know how you quantify long term ambition and what we are doing that does not show this.

We not sign up Shaw on a longer deal? Once players stop fannying about then we can see.

murray26
22-01-2018, 09:34 AM
Apologies for starting this thread.. just read it back and I’m quite embarrassed tbh.. drink and disappointment isn’t a good combination for me.. hopefully nobody thinks I’m to much of a twat 😂

GGTTH

Speedway
22-01-2018, 09:47 AM
I think the plan is clear to anyone who bothers to read what the club put out less than a month ago.

From LD’s time in charge.

Step 1. Promotion by maintaining a premiership budget. Completed and took three years.

Step 2. Establishment of infrastructure which means that the club runs the same way whoever the manager happens to be at the time. Ongoing process but that’s what Craig and Mathie’s jobs appear to be.

3. Competing at the ‘top end of Scottish football’ every season which includes semis or better in the cup and regular Euro qualification.

4. First season back in the premier is to see Top six secured ASAP and highest possible finish thereafter with Europe the goal.

5. Return the club to profit

6. Make full use of and upgrade facilities

7. Attract new investment and maximise all income streams.

Some of these steps run concurrently.

How can you know anything about this club and not know the above?

1875STEVE
22-01-2018, 10:07 AM

What because we lost a derby??

ffs. :rolleyes:

DarlingtonHibee
22-01-2018, 10:11 AM
I think the plan is clear to anyone who bothers to read what the club put out less than a month ago.

Step 1. Promotion by maintaining a premiership budget. Completed and took three years.

Step 2. Establishment of infrastructure which means that the club runs the same way whoever the manager happens to be at the time. Ongoing process but that’s what Craig and Mathie’s jobs appear to be.

3. Competing at the ‘top end of Scottish football’ every season which includes semis or better in the cup and regular Euro qualification.

4. First season back in the premier is to see Top six secured ASAP and highest possible finish thereafter with Europe the goal.

Great post.

wookie70
22-01-2018, 10:11 AM

Step 2 is my concern. I think that has changed under Lennon. It was the part of Leeann's vision I supported most.

percy veer
22-01-2018, 11:43 AM
No it's not, it's a compete losers mentality. Hearts finished 3rd the season after they got promoted. Why should we be happy to finish in 6th below teams we're better than just because "its our first season back up". Thankfully Lennon will be more ambitious than that
Rangers were not in the league that season, 4th would be a great achievement for our first season and try and improve on that next , it will be hard though

MrSmith
22-01-2018, 11:46 AM
FFS!! Sitting 4th in the SPFL after 3 seasons in the championship and people are complaining!? We lost yesterday, get over it!

Firestarter
22-01-2018, 12:02 PM
FFS!! Sitting 4th in the SPFL after 3 seasons in the championship and people are complaining!? We lost yesterday, get over it!

We won't finish 4th. We're out the cup the squad is weak and the coaching staff are rank. Comparing it with the past does us no favours. We aren't a small club so first season back is no argument.

Our form is shocking too. Lose on Wednesdays and massive pressure on us.

MrSmith
22-01-2018, 12:13 PM
We won't finish 4th. We're out the cup the squad is weak and the coaching staff are rank. Comparing it with the past does us no favours. We aren't a small club so first season back is no argument.

Is it really that bad?

Aim Here
22-01-2018, 12:15 PM

Things might turn around sometime soon, but I suspect that we're lucky to have fourth place in the league right now. If you look at our performance against the top 7 in the league right now, so far this season, we only have a winning record against one of them - Killie. Of the other 5 teams, all of them have beaten us this season, we've only won two games against them in total, and in both cases, those teams have since won against us. If our current form against the top teams doesn't improve, we're looking at fifth or sixth place by season's end.

Speedway
22-01-2018, 12:25 PM

What is your evidence for:

Squad is weak.

Coaching staff are rank

Won’t finish 4th

?

Stuart93
22-01-2018, 12:32 PM
Currently whenever I watch us play we never seem like scoring, that needs to change pronto, until then our form will continue in the downwards trajectory...our best form was playing barker and Boyle on both wings with a striker (who plays as a striker) in the middle. I'd give maclaren a chance as he seems like a poacher who'll pop up in the box in the right areas. Let's face it we've nothing to lose giving him a go as we aren't exactly scoring many goals.

Firestarter
22-01-2018, 01:13 PM
Is it really that bad?

I hope not but I think so.

Firestarter
22-01-2018, 01:13 PM
What is your evidence for:

Squad is weak.

Coaching staff are rank

Won’t finish 4th

?

Our form, other sides improving. Other clubs taking their jobs more serious.

CropleyWasGod
22-01-2018, 01:16 PM
Things might turn around sometime soon, but I suspect that we're lucky to have fourth place in the league right now. If you look at our performance against the top 7 in the league right now, so far this season, we only have a winning record against one of them - Killie. Of the other 5 teams, all of them have beaten us this season, we've only won two games against them in total, and in both cases, those teams have since won against us. If our current form against the top teams doesn't improve, we're looking at fifth or sixth place by season's end.

And Hearts. :wink:

Aim Here
22-01-2018, 01:35 PM

Only if you don't count cup games. Segregating by competition doesn't matter - a team that can beat us in the cup can beat us in the league too!

CropleyWasGod
22-01-2018, 01:55 PM
Only if you don't count cup games. Segregating by competition doesn't matter - a team that can beat us in the cup can beat us in the league too!

You said "in the league", hence my wink.

wookie70
22-01-2018, 03:02 PM
Currently whenever I watch us play we never seem like scoring, that needs to change pronto, until then our form will continue in the downwards trajectory...our best form was playing barker and Boyle on both wings with a striker (who plays as a striker) in the middle. I'd give maclaren a chance as he seems like a poacher who'll pop up in the box in the right areas. Let's face it we've nothing to lose giving him a go as we aren't exactly scoring many goals.

I agree that our best form was with Boyle right, Barker left and Murray through the middle. That would have been brave yesterday but at least we know that it works. It would have also meant we had 5 in the midfield area when defending and cover out wide. The plan yesterday appeared to be to play 2 up top with Boyle roaming and nearly always miles away from Shaw and then hoof it up to Oli. It looked destined to failure on paper and it turned out that way. Our best spell in the game came twen minutes before Hearts scored and I don't think its a coincidence that Boyle was right and Barker left.

lucky
22-01-2018, 03:19 PM
Yesterday was a huge disappointment but overall the season so far has been a success. If Hibs finish fourth it will be good achievement, top six acceptable, bottom six failure. We’ve a lot to play for, Europe is still possible to we need knuckle down and focus on our league games

Speedway
22-01-2018, 04:03 PM
Our form, other sides improving. Other clubs taking their jobs more serious.

Before they improved, were their squads weak and their coaching staff rank or is it just ours?

Iggy Pope
22-01-2018, 04:20 PM

I reckon we are dead level on WLD with Celtic and Rangers too.:wink:

CropleyWasGod
22-01-2018, 04:21 PM

We are.

Statistics, eh? :greengrin

ancient hibee
22-01-2018, 04:29 PM
I don’t think using stats to defeat erroneous arguments is allowed.

Aim Here
22-01-2018, 04:31 PM

If we count all games in the season, not just league games, we're one loss and two draws vs Celtic.

Iggy Pope
22-01-2018, 04:38 PM
If we count all games in the season, not just league games, we're one loss and two draws vs Celtic.

I looked at your post as an observation on our league position. I mean. Montrose, Arbroath, Alloa, Ayr and Livi aren't really in a position to improve on their record against us. If we're counting.

I reckon our top 6 record isn't bad. Will we stop counting the losses against those outside of it?