PDA

View Full Version : John McGinn

RIP
21-01-2018, 06:39 PM
Last man of match performance? Am worried about his form if I'm being honest.

supermcginn
21-01-2018, 06:40 PM
We've a lot more to worry about than him, folk expect far too much he's not a world beater, we will miss him hugely when he leaves.

Ozyhibby
21-01-2018, 06:47 PM
He’s stopped driving forward with the ball and thinks he’s Pirlo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnM1875
21-01-2018, 06:51 PM
Don't think McGinn should be judged against MOTM performances. Cause he won't always get them. Isn't his fault.

If anyone as much as breathed on Cochrane today though the laddie got a free kick.

scuttle
21-01-2018, 06:51 PM
Last man of match performance? Am worried about his form if I'm being honest.

Hope he keeps it up until the end of January.. then gets back to he SJM w all love:wink:

TRC
21-01-2018, 06:53 PM
I thought since the Celtic game he's playing not to get injured. Might be subconsciously rather than him doing it on purpose.

Sprouleflyer
21-01-2018, 07:20 PM
We've a lot more to worry about than him, folk expect far too much he's not a world beater, we will miss him hugely when he leaves.

Really?

JohnM1875
21-01-2018, 07:22 PM
Really?

I’m unsure as to what you’re sayin really at?

He’s definitely not a world beater and 100% we’ll miss him when he’s gone! Hasn’t been outstanding for the past wee while but let’s not pretend he’s phenomenal when on his game.

murray26
21-01-2018, 07:25 PM
John will come good again.. definitely not someone I’d want to see the back of

21-01-2018, 07:26 PM
He was poor today. He really really needs to work on his set pieces as well, a real big flaw to his game. His free-kicks aren't anywhere near dangerous enough.

JohnM1875
21-01-2018, 07:30 PM
He was poor today. He really really needs to work on his set pieces as well, a real big flaw to his game. His free-kicks aren't anywhere near dangerous enough.

Agreed. But if he’s so bad at them why do we persist in him taking them?!

Famous Fiver
21-01-2018, 07:33 PM
My opinion.

McGinn is in my team every week.

End of.

supermcginn
21-01-2018, 07:39 PM
Really?

Yes really

supermcginn
21-01-2018, 07:40 PM
I’m unsure as to what you’re sayin really at?

He’s definitely not a world beater and 100% we’ll miss him when he’s gone! Hasn’t been outstanding for the past wee while but let’s not pretend he’s phenomenal when on his game.
Correct, it's not the lads fault folk have bigged him up and he can't deliver every single week, if he's our main worry we've got some team!

Ozyhibby
21-01-2018, 07:58 PM

That’s a mystery, I assume he’s best of a bad bunch. One thing for sure, he’s dreadful at them.

21-01-2018, 08:03 PM

No idea, nobody deemed to be better i guess which is slightly worrying.

we are hibs
21-01-2018, 08:06 PM
I thought he was okay. He gets his arse in and wins the ball back well but he holds onto it too long sometimes. Players build themselves up in the gym but I think he's overdone it a bit and has lost half a yard to drive away from players.

tamig
21-01-2018, 08:13 PM
Rather than driving forward now he seems intent on putting on some he man type display standing over the ball and trying to say “I’m stronger than you, try and get if off me.” It’s been going on for a few months now and it does nothing for the team. I just wish he’d get back to getting his head down and charging forward with the ball like he used to do.

adhibs
21-01-2018, 08:14 PM

The freekick right at the end was a shocker. Marciano wouldve put a better ball into the box.

calumhibee1
21-01-2018, 08:14 PM
If teams were looking at him purely based on his performances this season nobody would be interested. Over the piece he's been really poor by his standards. And please Lennon, take him off set pieces, he's absolutely abysmal at them.

Stuart93
21-01-2018, 08:18 PM
He's a good player we'll miss but he isn't the £3m player everyone bigs him up to be

JohnM1875
21-01-2018, 08:24 PM
He’s had a dip in form for sure. Can’t believe how ready some folk are to chastise him!

He’s basically trying to drive us forwards on his own just now and that’s not his best quality. We’ll miss him so much when he leaves and I’m honestly dreading that day cause we’ll struggle to replace him.

CropleyisGod
21-01-2018, 08:33 PM
I feel he’s been coached to win and/or retain the ball to bring others in. Not the SJM we brought into the club who attacked the back line and drove into the box. Also explains why he looks like a body builder below the waist and plays like the midfield version of Kenny Dalgliesh (all arse)

calumhibee1
21-01-2018, 08:36 PM
I feel he’s been coached to win and/or retain the ball to bring others in. Not the SJM we brought into the club who attacked the back line and drove into the box. Also explains why he looks like a body builder below the waist and plays like the midfield version of Kenny Dalgliesh (all arse)

Wonder if it's Lennons influence. Would Lennon have had a big hand in Scott Brown being turned into the type of player he is now?

RIP
21-01-2018, 09:52 PM
Rather than driving forward now he seems intent on putting on some he man type display standing over the ball and trying to say “I’m stronger than you, try and get if off me.” It’s been going on for a few months now and it does nothing for the team. I just wish he’d get back to getting his head down and charging forward with the ball like he used to do.

This 100%. His style has been studied now and players know how to deal with him. Since he's been rumbled there is no Plan B. The bodybuilding as others have pointed out has lost him pace this season. Same happened to Wotherspoon.

Would like to see him mix it up more. Quick passing game for example

Real Emerald
21-01-2018, 10:00 PM

Totally agree with this, his style has changed and as you say he would rather take on three players when going nowhere than play a simple pass out of bother. He’s giving the ball away in some dangerous areas by adopting these tactics and it seems to be happening more and more. I love him as a player, don’t want to lose him but someone needs to coach this habit out of him.

ancient hibee
21-01-2018, 10:39 PM
He and McGeouch are a poor combination at the moment.Too deep and seemingly afraid to get into the opponents penalty area.Never there to get on the end of a cross.

DickieDastardly
21-01-2018, 11:21 PM
I watched the game today in the hearts end in the seats they loosely claim as corporate, it’s quite a different experience than when surrounded by your own fans and you are cheering or jeering every decision.
So based on watching the game surrounded by a rabid mob of blinkered hibs haters I actually thought both McGinn and McGeoch had reasonable games today, McGinn in particular was industrial, strong and physical throughout, McGeoch busy and as always keen to get on the ball and move forward.

Gutted to lose the game and we are lacking that spark in front of goal but we’ve come a long way in 12mths, we were after all missing our two right backs and our marquee centre forward (who may have played his last game) so let’s keep it in perspective.

In the suite after you’d think they’d won the league such was their euphoria. I also had a pint with the host in the Tyne Arms after which was even worse; for a wee team we’ve got right under their skin so let’s keep the faith and stick it up em in the next game at Easter Road, perhaps that will redress the order.

Borderhibbie76
22-01-2018, 08:41 AM
If teams were looking at him purely based on his performances this season nobody would be interested. Over the piece he's been really poor by his standards. And please Lennon, take him off set pieces, he's absolutely abysmal at them.Exactly this hence why no January bids...he simply isn't performing consistently at a higher level. I'm pretty confident he is going nowhere this month as anybody watching him lately will not be impressed or want to bid 2 or 3 million that's for sure

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Pretty Boy
22-01-2018, 08:47 AM
It must be frustrating for him that whenever he picks up the ball he has nothing to aim at in front of him. Teams double up on him so it's difficult for him to run with the ball as he did previously.

If the cross field ball to Boyle isn't on then he has to turn back on himself becausd our other midfielders rarely get beyond him and our movement in the final 3rd, and at set pieces but that's another story, is almost non existent.

Ozyhibby
22-01-2018, 09:09 AM
It must be frustrating for him that whenever he picks up the ball he has nothing to aim at in front of him. Teams double up on him so it's difficult for him to run with the ball as he did previously.

If the cross field ball to Boyle isn't on then he has to turn back on himself becausd our other midfielders rarely get beyond him and our movement in the final 3rd, and at set pieces but that's another story, is almost non existent.

Exactly. I’ve said for a while now that having Bartley and McGeogh in the midfield means that it’s all on McGinn to take the ball forward. Teams know this and mark him out the game.
That midfield three are great in a scrap but creatively there is nothing there.
It needs refreshed and rebalanced. If McGeogh won’t go forward then he has to become the defensive mid with Bartley dropping out.
We were much better going forward when it was Fyvie in there instead of Bartley.

matty_f
22-01-2018, 09:26 AM

I agree with this, McGinn has too much responsibility and not enough help in the midfield.

I don't think it's McGinn that's failing, it's the system - and that's Lennon's responsibility to fix.

highland hibbee
22-01-2018, 09:31 AM
The freekick right at the end was a shocker. Marciano wouldve put a better ball into the box.

Spot on mate, at that stage of the game everyone up and Rocky taking the free kick., it was **** or bust at that stage anyway

TheHarpy76
22-01-2018, 09:34 AM
My opinion.

McGinn is in my team every week.

End of.

Maybe that’s the problem.

He seems to be an automatic pick regardless of form.