PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Hearts 21 January 2018)

Jonnyboy
21-01-2018, 06:29 PM
Anthony Stokes; would he or wouldn’t he? That was likely to be the question on the lips of most Hibs fans on their way to Gorgie this afternoon. As it turned out there was no sign of Stokes either in the starting eleven or on the bench. Indeed it seemed possible that he wasn’t even in the stadium with stories being exchanged amongst fans ranging from him having been ‘sacked’ to him having taken the huff and stormed off. I’d no idea what the truth of the matter was and frankly I didn’t care as my attention was focused on those players who were in the squad, trying to extend a long unbeaten run against Hearts.

With the debacle concerning getting entry into the ground still fresh in our minds, my brother and I followed the same practice as last time out and arrived in plenty of time to get access. Even then, approaching from the Roseburn area, there was some kind of barriers and funnelling system which meant showing your ticket before being allowed to progress towards a second set of barriers and then eventually the turnstiles. We got in quite easily but seeing the hordes of Hibs fans arriving right up to kick off time and being held back by this strange system, created quite a crush on the walkways and concourse. The whole problem, in my opinion, stems from Hearts having only six turnstiles at the away end. With around 3,400 fans trying to get access, that’s a recipe for disaster and in truth I’m surprised they’ve not been taken to task over it.

Once inside the atmosphere started to build quite nicely and was deafening as both sides took to the field of play. That in itself was rather odd as the tunnel is on the opposite side from the dugouts and involves players, managers, coaching staff and others having to trudge across the park before the business in hand can get under way. It was obvious during the warm up that the playing surface was very poor and the passage of so many bodies across it couldn’t have helped.

Hibs had gone with four at the back whilst Hearts opted for three and I felt that in the early stages of the game the hosts, with an extra man in there, were bossing the midfield. Only a few minutes had passed when new signing Naismith was put through on goal but as he skipped past Rocky he lost his footing and his shot missed the target. As countless slips and poor technique meant the game getting a bit bogged down, Hibs suddenly created a wonderful chance to take the lead. Oli Shaw got free on the right and fired in an excellent low cross that reached the unmarked Boyle at the back post. I expected a goal, all Hibs fans expected a goal and there’s every chance the whole stadium expected a goal but Boyle pushed his effort wide with the goal gaping. At the other end, Rocky saved bravely at the feet of Goncalves after the Hearts man and not for the first time, skipped easily past Efe Ambrose.

For the remainder of the first half I felt Hibs had the upper hand but Hearts don’t concede goals easily and reached the break level as a result. The second half started like the first with Hearts on the front foot with loanee Mitchell firing high and wide and then bringing out a wonderful save from Marciano when his rocket shot looked destined for the bottom corner. Another chance fell to Berra following a poor clearance at a corner but his shot went straight to Marciano.

In an effort to open up the Hearts defence, Neil Lennon withdrew Slivka and brought on Brandon Barker, presumably hoping that the Englishman’s pace and trickery might unlock the Hearts defence. One fantastic run through the middle had me wishing he’d kept going as the Hearts defence backed off but the youngster opted instead to try and pick out Stevenson but the pass was over hit and went out for a throw in. Simon Murray was next to join the fray, replacing a limping Marvin Bartley. The introduction of Murray showed clearly that Hibs were going for it as they now had four forwards on the park. The impact was obvious as Hibs were now on the front foot and a stinging volley from Boyle brought about a smart save from the Hearts keeper.

At that point it looked as though the Hibs gamble might pay off but arguably it created their downfall. A corner was booted clear by Berra and as Hearts broke forward the ball was cleared for a corner. When the cross came in, Berra won it and headed the ball towards goal. McGinn was on the line and looked sure to clear before Cowie stuck out a foot and diverted the ball beyond McGinn and just over the line. The ref wasn’t sure but this time the assistant was and the home stands went crazy celebrating. The irony of the ball just crossing the line and being correctly called as having done so was not lost on the huge Hibs support.

The goal having come very late in the game, Hibs had to go for it and Neil Lennon pushed both Paul Hanlon and Darren McGregor up front, hoping that a decent delivery into the box might bring an equaliser. Play was delayed slightly at one point when the ball went out for a throw in front of the Hearts bench. Thinking it was a Hibs throw Boyler went to retrieve the ball and got involved in some kind of skirmish with Craig Levein. As players moved in, Levein was clearly seen pushing Brandon Barker in the chest but once things had died down Kevin Clancy took no action and restarted the game with a throw to Hearts. When the final whistle went I felt that we had not deserved to lose the game. In fairness I don’t think we did enough to win it either and in my view a draw would have been a fair result.

The players

Rocky – had a very good save in the first half and a stunning one in the second

Efe – I felt he was all over the place today. Caught flat footed a number of times and too easily beaten on others.

Daz – The big fella was outstanding and totally dominant in the air. One of three players I narrowed down to my man of the match award.

Paul – Another good ninety minutes from our captain who continues to impress with his reading of the game. Player two in my trio of man of the match nominees.

Lewis – I thought he was solid enough but a couple of poor clearances under pressure.

Slivka – put himself about and didn’t look overawed by the occasion. I was surprised when he was subbed as I felt that might create more difficulties for us in midfield.

Dylan – was a wee bit in and out of things today. Dylan wasn’t able to influence the game as much as normal, due the Hearts midfield crowding him out.

Marv – the man is a machine and I felt he protected the back four well but is not the best when given the ball in tight situations and lost possession of it a few times today because of that.

SJM – was well fired up for this game and ran his socks off but sad to say he never quite got the better of Djoum and Cochrane in the engine room.

Boyler – had some good patches in the game but wasn’t able to utilise his pace so much due to the excellent performance of Mitchell at left back for Hearts. Still can’t figure out how Boyle missed that first half sitter mind you.

Oli – I keep reading on here that Oli isn’t ready for regular first team action and hope that his performance today will change a few minds in that regard. Good in the air, good at taking the ball in and good movement. Daz and Paul pushed him close for my man of the match but Oli deserves it in my opinion.

Brandon – looked lively and had that one great run when he should have kept going. Still ticks me off that he takes so long to work back after we’ve lost possession though.

Simon – might have given the Hearts defence reason to worry but sadly didn’t contribute much of any note.

Neil Lennon – I felt his tactics were good and his decision to go for it was very brave. I’ve no doubt he’ll now be pestered endlessly to explain the absence of Stokes.

Kevin Clancy – I know I wear green tinted glasses but is it just me that thinks John McGinn was repeatedly fouled and then picks up a yellow for throwing a bit of a strop when he was deemed to have fouled a Hearts man? Only Clancy can answer that.

The fans – loud, supportive and in good voice but I was very disappointed to see one guy deliberately breaking a seat just after the Hearts goal. Unluckily for him, the police saw it too and he was huckled out quick style.

Sammy7nil
21-01-2018, 06:35 PM
I always enjoy your post but on this occasion I find the motm selection baffaling although I accept you were short on candidates.

Cod Boy
21-01-2018, 06:38 PM
Slivka was a man short so slow waiting for the ball.

kaimendhibs
21-01-2018, 06:51 PM
Skivka was very poor today. My MOM would be big Daz

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

cleanyman
21-01-2018, 06:54 PM
Nah, not for me.

BoomtownHibees
21-01-2018, 06:56 PM
Shaw MOTM?? Come oan now

Mikey
21-01-2018, 07:00 PM
Cheers John.

It can't be easy doing this on a day like today. If you're not putting the boot in some won't be happy!

marleyhib
21-01-2018, 07:01 PM
I like your positivity about Oli Shaw, I thought he played well considering his inexperience and leading the line on his own. Hibs were flat today, poor, never seen so many misplaced passes. Can't help think the Stokes debacle has affected the squad and management. Thought McGregor and Hanlon were our best players today , Marciano had some great saves too.

Onwards, we are a work in progress.

Billy Whizz
21-01-2018, 07:05 PM
Jonnyboy always tries to give a balanced report from his seat in the stand, not the luxury of a cozy TV seat
Might be better if you could add some debate to the thread, rather than one liners
My overall view was we were poor today, although a draw would have been fair result
We just didn’t get to grips with the game, and our passing was poor
Best for me were Rocky, Daz and Paul, although he lost Berra for the goal
Thought Shaw and Boyle worked hard, and Barker when he came on, produced some good runs
We need to now take this on the chin, disappointed as we are, and get ready for Wednesday
See you all at Dundee, where we need to get 3 points and kick on in the league

Hibrandenburg
21-01-2018, 07:07 PM
Can't agree with Slivka JB. I thought his first touch is terrible. As for the goal it looked like SJM got in the way of Rocky who would have otherwise stopped it, but I'd have to see it again.

We are at our best when Barker and Boyle waltz past defenders and have a free run at the byline, but they always seem to stop 10 yards short of the line and the crosses never materialise. Instead our strikers are forced to go out wide and look for the short pass instead of getting themselves into goalscoring positions in the box. Special mention to our set pieces, they are simply woeful.

wookie70
21-01-2018, 07:09 PM
I thought Daz was easily our best player, Rocky had our best moment and I agree about Ambrose. Shaw looks ready to me and when he did get service he looked a decent player, nowhere near our MOTM imo.

I think the hold up to the ground was caused by all those singing in the concourse. It's barely big enough anyway and they basically stop all the fans getting in. The Police have two choices - either clear those in the concourse or let the fans outside wait longer. I can't understand why fans sing in the concourse as it cannot be heard when out at your seat and gives no help to the players. The game never helped but I don't think the atmosphere was very good today right from the start.

EVENTUALLY
21-01-2018, 07:12 PM
Shaw MOTM?? Come oan now

Shaw maybe not MOTM but he was very good today with lousy service. He is improving with every game. He coped a lot better with the physical challenges from Berra etc than I expected, ran into wide positions time and again with no supply, came in short and took the ball well and won a fair few headers. Need to stick with him and give him a good run in the side. Far better football brain and ability than Simon Murray who did absolutely nothing when he appeared except sportingly patting a couple of opponents on the arm and back:rolleyes:

SideBurns
21-01-2018, 07:14 PM
Thanks JB. Cannae be easy doing a march report after that. Hibs were crap, particularly in the 2nd half. The best players were Rocky, Lewis, Daz, Hanlon & Shaw. Very disappointed in Boyle, although plenty others didnae come up to scratch. Hearts deserved to win. Roll on 10th March.

Sammy7nil
21-01-2018, 07:14 PM
Can't agree with Slivka JB. I thought his first touch is terrible. As for the goal it looked like SJM got in the way of Rocky who would have otherwise stopped it, but I'd have to see it again.

We are at our best when Barker and Boyle waltz past defenders and have a free run at the byline, but they always seem to stop 10 yards short of the line and the crosses never materialise. Instead our strikers are forced to go out wide and look for the short pass instead of getting themselves into goalscoring positions in the box. Special mention to our set pieces, they are simply woeful.

Yeah between them Rocky and McGin could have done better, if JM was not there Rocky would have saved it and JM would have cleared it.

Danderhall Hibs
21-01-2018, 07:22 PM
Jonnyboy always tries to give a balanced report from his seat in the stand, not the luxury of a cozy TV seat
Might be better if you could add some debate to the thread, rather than one liners
My overall view was we were poor today, although a draw would have been fair result
Thought Shaw and Boyle worked hard, and Barker when he came on, produced some good runs
We need to now take this on the chin, disappointed as we are, and get ready for Wednesday

Pretty sure whether in a cozy seat or in the roseburn most folk could see that Shaw didn’t have much impact but Marciano did?

Doh Rae Me
21-01-2018, 07:26 PM
Thanks again for the balanced, well written, highlights of the game. A shift away from the hysteria of other threads. Not much between the sides today apart from some top spin.
Back to league business and getting as high up as we can.
GGTTH.

Billy Whizz
21-01-2018, 07:40 PM
Pretty sure whether in a cozy seat or in the roseburn most folk could see that Shaw didn’t have much impact but Marciano did?

19 year old boy lead the line well, working on scraps
Even 2nd half made good runs, and the balls too him were worth over hit or too high

Danderhall Hibs
21-01-2018, 07:45 PM
19 year old boy lead the line well, working on scraps
Even 2nd half made good runs, and the balls too him were worth over hit or too high

:agree: I think we agree that Marciano had a bigger impact?

oldbutdim
21-01-2018, 07:48 PM
Surprisingly sensible report considering the headgear being sported by the author today.

Did you get a fishing rod and a giant toadstool included when you purchased that titfer Jonnyboy?

lapsedhibee
21-01-2018, 07:54 PM
The whole problem, in my opinion, stems from Hearts having only six turnstiles at the away end. With around 3,400 fans trying to get access, that’s a recipe for disaster and in truth I’m surprised they’ve not been taken to task over it.

You're not really though, are you, because we all know how things work in this town!

Billy Whizz
21-01-2018, 08:01 PM
:agree: I think we agree that Marciano had a bigger impact?

I’m trying to work out what your point is!
Shaw had a decent game based on the service to him

Danderhall Hibs
21-01-2018, 08:05 PM

Same as yours (minus the patronising tone about if people saw it in person or on tv).

Billy Whizz
21-01-2018, 08:15 PM
Same as yours (minus the patronising tone about if people saw it in person or on tv).

Wasn’t patronising, Jonnyboy always gives a view from the stands, not a TV with many replays
We lost the game today, no complaints, time to move on

GreenNWhiteArmy
21-01-2018, 08:56 PM
First half we actually played reasonably well. Would agree hearts started better and tried to play football. We eventually got s hold of the ball and controlled it for most of the half. We should have gone in 0-1 up. How Boyle missed that I'll never know.

2nd half is as bad a performance I've seen in a derby in many years! Maybe it was Levein geeing his team up I don't know but they came as they did in the first half and took the game to us but instead of us getting a foot hold we struggled and allowed them to continually get the ball and run at us.

One of a rare "big game" where I thought Bartley was very poor and ineffective for us today and that's a theme right throughout the team. In derby's since 2014 we've shown a togetherness and a resilience to get torn in and win our battles. Today we didn't and that's what hurts me more than the loss itself.

The only players to get pass marks for the entire 90 mins were Marciano, Daz, Hanlon and possibly Dylan. Other than that we had players that were decent for 45 or 60 mins and players that never turned up.

We have a massive 10 days ahead in the transfer market. A striker and at least one attacking midfielder who can actually chip in with goals and assists. Genuinely starting to think having someone like Tim Cahill as an option off the bench isn't such a bad idea tbh

So frustrated tonight!!!

KingFranck
21-01-2018, 09:02 PM
Great review of the match John
Ollie ? Assuming Boyle was told to play on either wing meaning Shaw would be the lone striker was in my opinion the wrong choice
Simon Murray would have been better suited to that lone role.
Ollie didn’t get decent service today and I hope we see him playing alongside either Murray or McLaren in the the next few games

Jonnyboy
21-01-2018, 10:05 PM
First of all, thanks for all the feedback :aok: I write these things as soon as I get home and so they are very much based on my opinions and on what I've seen during the ninety minutes!

I always enjoy your post but on this occasion I find the motm selection baffaling although I accept you were short on candidates.

Fair enough, Sammy but I thought Oli was great for such a young and inexperienced player

Slivka was a man short so slow waiting for the ball.

Didn't seem that way to me but fair enough :greengrin

Skivka was very poor today. My MOM would be big Daz

Yep, big Daz was excellent, as confirmed in my 'shortlist' :wink:

Shaw MOTM?? Come oan now

My opinion but happy that others see things differently

Surprisingly sensible report considering the headgear being sported by the author today.

Did you get a fishing rod and a giant toadstool included when you purchased that titfer Jonnyboy?

At least I won my bet :faf:

Cod Boy
21-01-2018, 10:08 PM
I like your match reports I was not having ago at you about slivka it's just my opinion .

Jonnyboy
21-01-2018, 10:14 PM
I like your match reports I was not having ago at you about slivka it's just my opinion .

I knew that, honest :greengrin

B.H.F.C
21-01-2018, 10:16 PM
We have a massive 10 days ahead in the transfer market.

At this stage of the season, when this becomes the thinking, you aren't in a good place.

The general thought going in to the window was that we didn't need massive changes. That's shifted to the general feeling being that we are one or two players short despite already having signed three in the window.

Given the lack of impact from our signings this season, that worries me. We don't want to end up going down a similar path that Hearts did last year and signing players for the sake of it.

Nakedmanoncrack
21-01-2018, 10:17 PM
Anthony Stokes; would he or wouldn’t he? That was likely to be the question on the lips of most Hibs fans on their way to Gorgie this afternoon. As it turned out there was no sign of Stokes either in the starting eleven or on the bench. Indeed it seemed possible that he wasn’t even in the stadium with stories being exchanged amongst fans ranging from him having been ‘sacked’ to him having taken the huff and stormed off. I’d no idea what the truth of the matter was and frankly I didn’t care as my attention was focused on those players who were in the squad, trying to extend a long unbeaten run against Hearts.

With the debacle concerning getting entry into the ground still fresh in our minds, my brother and I followed the same practice as last time out and arrived in plenty of time to get access. Even then, approaching from the Roseburn area, there was some kind of barriers and funnelling system which meant showing your ticket before being allowed to progress towards a second set of barriers and then eventually the turnstiles. We got in quite easily but seeing the hordes of Hibs fans arriving right up to kick off time and being held back by this strange system, created quite a crush on the walkways and concourse. The whole problem, in my opinion, stems from Hearts having only six turnstiles at the away end. With around 3,400 fans trying to get access, that’s a recipe for disaster and in truth I’m surprised they’ve not been taken to task over it.

Once inside the atmosphere started to build quite nicely and was deafening as both sides took to the field of play. That in itself was rather odd as the tunnel is on the opposite side from the dugouts and involves players, managers, coaching staff and others having to trudge across the park before the business in hand can get under way. It was obvious during the warm up that the playing surface was very poor and the passage of so many bodies across it couldn’t have helped.

Hibs had gone with four at the back whilst Hearts opted for three and I felt that in the early stages of the game the hosts, with an extra man in there, were bossing the midfield. Only a few minutes had passed when new signing Naismith was put through on goal but as he skipped past Rocky he lost his footing and his shot missed the target. As countless slips and poor technique meant the game getting a bit bogged down, Hibs suddenly created a wonderful chance to take the lead. Oli Shaw got free on the right and fired in an excellent low cross that reached the unmarked Boyle at the back post. I expected a goal, all Hibs fans expected a goal and there’s every chance the whole stadium expected a goal but Boyle pushed his effort wide with the goal gaping. At the other end, Rocky saved bravely at the feet of Goncalves after the Hearts man and not for the first time, skipped easily past Efe Ambrose.

For the remainder of the first half I felt Hibs had the upper hand but Hearts don’t concede goals easily and reached the break level as a result. The second half started like the first with Hearts on the front foot with loanee Mitchell firing high and wide and then bringing out a wonderful save from Marciano when his rocket shot looked destined for the bottom corner. Another chance fell to Berra following a poor clearance at a corner but his shot went straight to Marciano.

In an effort to open up the Hearts defence, Neil Lennon withdrew Slivka and brought on Brandon Barker, presumably hoping that the Englishman’s pace and trickery might unlock the Hearts defence. One fantastic run through the middle had me wishing he’d kept going as the Hearts defence backed off but the youngster opted instead to try and pick out Stevenson but the pass was over hit and went out for a throw in. Simon Murray was next to join the fray, replacing a limping Marvin Bartley. The introduction of Murray showed clearly that Hibs were going for it as they now had four forwards on the park. The impact was obvious as Hibs were now on the front foot and a stinging volley from Boyle brought about a smart save from the Hearts keeper.

At that point it looked as though the Hibs gamble might pay off but arguably it created their downfall. A corner was booted clear by Berra and as Hearts broke forward the ball was cleared for a corner. When the cross came in, Berra won it and headed the ball towards goal. McGinn was on the line and looked sure to clear before Cowie stuck out a foot and diverted the ball beyond McGinn and just over the line. The ref wasn’t sure but this time the assistant was and the home stands went crazy celebrating. The irony of the ball just crossing the line and being correctly called as having done so was not lost on the huge Hibs support.

The goal having come very late in the game, Hibs had to go for it and Neil Lennon pushed both Paul Hanlon and Darren McGregor up front, hoping that a decent delivery into the box might bring an equaliser. Play was delayed slightly at one point when the ball went out for a throw in front of the Hearts bench. Thinking it was a Hibs throw Boyler went to retrieve the ball and got involved in some kind of skirmish with Craig Levein. As players moved in, Levein was clearly seen pushing Brandon Barker in the chest but once things had died down Kevin Clancy took no action and restarted the game with a throw to Hearts. When the final whistle went I felt that we had not deserved to lose the game. In fairness I don’t think we did enough to win it either and in my view a draw would have been a fair result.

The players

Rocky – had a very good save in the first half and a stunning one in the second

Efe – I felt he was all over the place today. Caught flat footed a number of times and too easily beaten on others.

Daz – The big fella was outstanding and totally dominant in the air. One of three players I narrowed down to my man of the match award.

Paul – Another good ninety minutes from our captain who continues to impress with his reading of the game. Player two in my trio of man of the match nominees.

Lewis – I thought he was solid enough but a couple of poor clearances under pressure.

Slivka – put himself about and didn’t look overawed by the occasion. I was surprised when he was subbed as I felt that might create more difficulties for us in midfield.

Dylan – was a wee bit in and out of things today. Dylan wasn’t able to influence the game as much as normal, due the Hearts midfield crowding him out.

Marv – the man is a machine and I felt he protected the back four well but is not the best when given the ball in tight situations and lost possession of it a few times today because of that.

SJM – was well fired up for this game and ran his socks off but sad to say he never quite got the better of Djoum and Cochrane in the engine room.

Boyler – had some good patches in the game but wasn’t able to utilise his pace so much due to the excellent performance of Mitchell at left back for Hearts. Still can’t figure out how Boyle missed that first half sitter mind you.

Oli – I keep reading on here that Oli isn’t ready for regular first team action and hope that his performance today will change a few minds in that regard. Good in the air, good at taking the ball in and good movement. Daz and Paul pushed him close for my man of the match but Oli deserves it in my opinion.

Brandon – looked lively and had that one great run when he should have kept going. Still ticks me off that he takes so long to work back after we’ve lost possession though.

Simon – might have given the Hearts defence reason to worry but sadly didn’t contribute much of any note.

Neil Lennon – I felt his tactics were good and his decision to go for it was very brave. I’ve no doubt he’ll now be pestered endlessly to explain the absence of Stokes.

Kevin Clancy – I know I wear green tinted glasses but is it just me that thinks John McGinn was repeatedly fouled and then picks up a yellow for throwing a bit of a strop when he was deemed to have fouled a Hearts man? Only Clancy can answer that.

The fans – loud, supportive and in good voice but I was very disappointed to see one guy deliberately breaking a seat just after the Hearts goal. Unluckily for him, the police saw it too and he was huckled out quick style.

Quietest Hibs support I can remember in the Roseburn end, thought the atmosphere was very subdued (them as well until they scored).

Cod Boy
21-01-2018, 10:18 PM
I knew that, honest :greengrin

👍

GreenNWhiteArmy
21-01-2018, 10:20 PM
At this stage of the season, when this becomes the thinking, you aren't in a good place.

The general thought going in to the window was that we didn't need massive changes. That's shifted to the general feeling being that we are one or two players short despite already having signed three in the window.

Given the lack of impact from our signings this season, that worries me. We don't want to end up going down a similar path that Hearts did last year and signing players for the sake of it.

I think we've always needed something this window. I hoped that adding McLaren would have added something different to our front line which he has but we now appear to need another striker!

A goal scoring midfielder is just as essential. Ideally a central midfielder that will chip in with 10+ goals a season. When did we last have one of those in the top flight
? It's one thing they ****s over the road have had sorted the last few years whether it was Hartley, rat boy, Nicholson or walker.

We need goals from midfield!!

Elephant Stone
21-01-2018, 10:21 PM
Completely agree with your ratings. My MOTM would be McGregor though.

kaimendhibs
21-01-2018, 10:22 PM
I knew that, honest :greengrinI wasnt either

Jonnyboy
21-01-2018, 10:28 PM
I wasnt either

Oops, apologies :aok:

hibbie02
21-01-2018, 10:31 PM
Excellent review as always Auld Yin. I thought Efe was a liability today and I have no clue what we were trying to do at throw ins and free kicks. My biggest issue was the Stokes shaped gap between the midfield and Shaw. There was no one connecting the play and if Stokes is out, we need to fill that gap.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
21-01-2018, 10:42 PM

... Bit precious.

Hermit Crab
22-01-2018, 12:00 AM

Haha, you wont see half the folk that were there today, in fact you'll be lucky to see 500 up at Dundee on Wednesday.

flash
22-01-2018, 11:54 AM
Haha, you wont see half the folk that were there today, in fact you'll be lucky to see 500 up at Dundee on Wednesday.

So what?

Pretty Boy
22-01-2018, 12:26 PM
I'm not sure I can agree about Lennons tactics being good. 2 lightweight strikers, only one of them a natural, against 3 dominating CBs was always going to see us struggle to create and leave us short of an outball when required. I would agree Shaw done pretty well given the circumstances.

hibsbollah
22-01-2018, 12:29 PM
I think Slivka is going to be like Lewis Stevenson in that he totally divides opinion on hibsnet! Is he going to be an Ed Van der Graf or Beuzelin type signing? let the debate commence...

Ronniekirk
22-01-2018, 05:06 PM
I think Slivka is going to be like Lewis Stevenson in that he totally divides opinion on hibsnet! Is he going to be an Ed Van der Graf or Beuzelin type signing? let the debate commence...

He started off looking like he was going to be a really good signing and might still be ,but at gradually got less game time and when played he wasn't as effective as those early games
He found himself in some good positions but didn't get the ball played to him The Boyle shot in the first half when Boyle should of played the pass
Like Murray he hasn't been getting regular game time and for me the Jury is still out on him
Play him in his best position for a few games and see if he can recapture his early season form

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BSEJVT
22-01-2018, 05:27 PM
He started off looking like he was going to be a really good signing and might still be ,but at gradually got less game time and when played he wasn't as effective as those early games
He found himself in some good positions but didn't get the ball played to him The Boyle shot in the first half when Boyle should of played the pass
Like Murray he hasn't been getting regular game time and for me the Jury is still out on him
Play him in his best position for a few games and see if he can recapture his early season form

Usually agree with you Ronnie and you are one of the more considered posters on here, but I think Slivka's early season form amounted to one decent game against the Huns, which was made into more than it was by his goal.

I think there is a player in there and would still persevere with him personally but my concern is that he hasn't been able to grasp the intensity or speed of the game here and I worry he may never.

He is a skilful enough guy with good touches sometimes, but watching him always leaves me feeling that he needs to do more and do things quicker

greenlex
22-01-2018, 05:31 PM

Had Berra on his arse a few times. The kid will do for me.

Ronniekirk
23-01-2018, 10:20 AM
Usually agree with you Ronnie and you are one of the more considered posters on here, but I think Slivka's early season form amounted to one decent game against the Huns, which was made into more than it was by his goal.

I think there is a player in there and would still persevere with him personally but my concern is that he hasn't been able to grasp the intensity or speed of the game here and I worry he may never.

He is a skilful enough guy with good touches sometimes, but watching him always leaves me feeling that he needs to do more and do things quicker

I felt he got caught in possession a few times in the Derby so your point about needing to grasp the intensity and speed of the game i agree with
Rightly or wrongly Lennon picked him out early doors lauding our recruitment strategy and talking about George Craig so Lennon must like you think there is a player in there .We paid a fee and gave him a three year deal
On that basis we need to find a way to get the best out of him Still young ,but by now i would of hoped he would of been forcing his way into the first team
Young Cochrane had no trouble imposing himself on the game as a teenager
Just a bit frustrated he doesn't appear to be developing after that initial Hype
But hope he can kick on and repay the investment in him
Would rather we invested in young Scottish Talent by with Celtic snapping up Lewis Morgan its making it harder for us to compete for these players

Firestarter
23-01-2018, 10:25 AM
I didn't think Slivka played that poorly.

Hermit Crab
23-01-2018, 12:25 PM
So what?

Its not a "big game" so not much demand for it.... the delayed broadcast on bbc alba will be popular though.

Seveno
23-01-2018, 01:33 PM
I thought that Paul and Dazza had great games. Looking at the tv highlights, Berra seemed to get both hands on Paul’s back and so won the ball.

Brandon Barker had the look of being unplayable when he came on and I couldn’t understand why he did not take a shot when he weaved his way down the centre. When he hits the ball, they tend to stay hit and it would have been the goal of the season.

I think the police did a reasonable job in getting us in but it was a shambles once inside. The vomitorium was packed and we were told to go along the front of the stand. This was chaotic as we were in the block nearest the Wheatfield Stand and had to fit out way through crowds coming out of each of the entrances along the stand.

I don’t this there is a harder ground in Scotland to get into than that dump. The closing of McLeod Street makes for a one mile detour to get back round the Shannon area. Shabby place for a shabby team.